Pop Quiz (Invite only)

Amir left his bike in the garage below Bao's office building and rode the elevator to the twenty-third floor. He exited and turned, following the bronzed plaques that served as maps to Bao's office. Entering quietly, he looked around but saw no one. It was close to two in the morning though, so he hadn't expected a full staff.

There was a shuffling of papers in one direction; perhaps Bao wasn't alone after all. He wasn't sure if Dana was working tonight although she'd been his ulterior motive in coming. He wanted to check in on Bao, and although he rarely ever visited him at his workplace Bao had hinted that he, too, wanted to speak to Amir in a private location. Something was bothering Bao and Amir wanted to address whatever the problem was. Bao was a capable vampire and Amir was justifiably proud of him. On occasion though, Bao still asked him for advice. It seemed this was one such occasion.

Glancing around one more time he made his silent way over to the door with Bao's name etched into it. He didn't bother knocking, just let himself in and then quietly closed the door behind him. Bao was there by himself, working on some sort of paperwork.

"Ask and ye shall receive," Amir said wryly from the door. He crossed the room, taking notice of the decor and the layout without actually looking at any of it, and went to the window to admire Nachton's nighttime skyline. "Nice office."

Bao 14 years ago
It was a knotty little problem and Bao was rather enjoying it. The issue with this case was that it was international and three countries at that. He'd been working on it for the better part of two days and it looked like it would take a third. Tonight he was making notes he needed on of his interns to follow up on in the morning. If he got the answers he thought he would he could give his client, a vampire slightly younger than himself currently living in Italy, the answer he wanted to.

He heard the door open, but didn't look up right away. It was probably Dana and she would give him a few seconds to finish his writing, she was quite good about that. Although he never took too long when he knew she was waiting. Even the voice of his creator didn't make him look up. It did, however, make him finish a bit faster. Amir's presence wasn't exactly unexpected but Bao was a bit surprised he would make the trip to his office.

"It impresses who it needs to impress. Although I'm thinking of rotating out the bronze with a Degas I had brought out of storage and it is time to put up another print."Â?

Bao was a collector but he preferred a more minimalist décor. So it required rotating his collections around if he wished to see everything.

Making sure his work was in a spot he could leave it he stood and joined Amir at the window.

"This, however, is why I decided to work here."Â?

Everyone who saw it seemed to comment on the view and he couldn't blame them.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir nodded absentmindedly as Bao detailed his decorating choices, having no particular opinion on the topic. He had been drawn to the window like a moth to a flame, and he expected Bao wasn't surprised. Not only was it the most notable part of the office, but Bao of course knew of Amir's fondness for heights.

"Good choice," he said in response to Bao's acknowledgment about the view. He reached out and tapped the glass with his fingertip, listening to the deep sound it made, then frowning at the resulting smudge and using the sleeve of his shirt to polish the glass back to a shine, surveying it with a critical eye to be certain of its clarity.

Turning away again he ignored Bao's similar inspection and subsequent window-polishing. Finding a spot on Bao's enormous mahogany desk that wasn't covered in paperwork, he hopped onto it and sat, disdaining the big armchairs.

"How's your new assistant?" Dana had said she was enjoying her new position, and Amir had no doubts she was doing a good job. He didn't think Bao knew of their association though, and couldn't resist playing the part of the ignorant observer.
Bao 14 years ago
He almost needled Amir, asking that he suggest a new print, but he didn't. He suspected he could guess Amir's answer, especially when one realized that Amir wasn't terribly familiar with his complete catalog. It didn't matter.

Bao couldn't help it, he -had- to repolish the window. It was a bit difficult not to get some window cleaner from the reception area and clean it properly. That, however, would be rude. He'd wait until Amir had gone and then do it.

His features twisted into an odd smile as Amir ignored the chairs. He'd seen that coming, or should have. There should have been more room without paper work. At any rate, Amir was not a client so Bao crossed from behind his desk to sit in one of the chairs on the other side. He did so to make it clear his business was personal rather than professional.

"She is working out admirably. Very quick to pick things and I've not had any negative reports from other corners; I'm more than satisfied. I was not, however, aware you knew I'd hired a new assistant."Â?

Bao questioned. Of course his maker was, as was he, aware of many things that happened within the family. But he didn't think hiring a new assistant was something that would circulate terribly fast or with much interest. And he was certain he hadn't mentioned it.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir fixed his dark eyes on Bao, offering him an enigmatic little smile. "What a horrible dad I'd be if I didn't keep up with my brood," he said, swinging his legs and tapping the heels of his shoes lightly against the side of Bao's desk. Thunk, thunk.

He didn't need to enlighten Bao with the details of his relationship with Dana. He was sure the topic would come up sooner or later (hopefully sooner if she was working tonight), and he doubted Bao would question it at any rate. He would no more do so than Amir would if their roles were reversed.

Feeling like there had been enough small talk for one night, Amir tilted his head at Bao.
"So what's the problem?" he asked.

Bao was a capable person. It was unusual for him to be in a situation where he really needed Amir's help. Advice, sometimes, but at this point he couldn't imagine what the topic was. It couldn't be the scientist. If that had been the case Bao would have kept himself at his desk, looking formal and businesslike. Amir knew his habits well enough. This was something of a personal nature, and Amir was both perplexed and curious.
Bao 14 years ago
That earned Amir a raised eyebrow. There was a missing piece to the puzzle and Bao knew it. He also knew he wouldn't ask. His mind was taken off his maker's sudden interest in his office staff as he flinched slightly at the sound of Amir's feet hitting his desk. He knew full well that he wouldn't leave a mark but it still worried him. The desk was an antique after all.

Ah they were broaching the subject at hand. Bao absently drummed his fingers on the desk for a second. He did not like admitting this mistake, this failure but if he didn't admit it, it couldn't be corrected. How to begin though?

"I was in Thailand about three hundred years ago, give or take. In fact I think you may have sent me if I remember right. After completing my business I started watching a woman, she intrigued me. I had intended to simply use her and leave her but I found she was more special and had more spirit than I anticipated. I thought she would make a good addition but only if I could break her, at least make her more pliable."Â?

Even as a mortal she had fought against his command. She hadn't been able to throw it off but she had tried. And she had been smart in her attempts to run. Bao was still sure of his decision to turn her, but the method he'd taken, trying to weaken her spirit that had been a mistake. He knew that now. Bao smiled faintly at the memory.

"She did something I didn't expect though, she ran. I when went back to her home the next evening and she'd disappeared."Â?

Bao knew full well the husband had run her off. He had been furious and killed the man for depriving him of his prize, but he had left the children untouched.

"She never came back, not even for her children. No matter how I searched I couldn't find her else where, but even then it was simple enough to disappear in Bangkok. I didn't truly expect she'd survive past the first night perhaps two without a teacher, but I've found her again."Â?

Bao paused here, waiting to see how Amir would react. He very much valued his father's good opinion and knew that Amir could hardly be proud of him for this failure.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir let his heels still against Bao's desk as he listened to a story that should have annoyed him. Certainly it made him irritable but he quelled his terrible temper and hunched forward with his chin in his hands. Bao should have known better. Especially at his age. Three hundred years ago Bao had been no youth. He'd turned vampires by then, his situation was different than Amir's.

Yes, Amir had done something similar. How close to the tree the apple had fallen! He didn't enlighten Bao though. His mistake was his mistake, and no one else's. He'd paid the cost to Subira, who had been less than pleased herself. Amir couldn't turn around and demand the same of Bao when he'd made a similar misstep, no matter how experienced.

Instead he nodded.
"How did she react to you when you found her? That is, assuming you showed yourself to her. Did she know you? Perhaps you could still persuade her to join her Clan."

It was possible to salvage this mistake, if the vampire in question was willing to come back to them, to accept her family, to accept that Anantya was the truest and only pure vampire Clan.
Bao 14 years ago
Silence rather than rage. Bao wasn't certain if he was reassured by the fact that Amir still seemed willing to listen or unsettled that he hadn't reacted at all.

"I underestimated her. I did not understand her as well as I had thought."Â?

He wouldn't apologize, not directly. It wouldn't do to show weakness at this point. Nor did he defend himself and point out that he never failed to add useful members to the clan with all his other turnings no matter what tactic he took. They both knew he had screwed up and there was no excuse.

Taking a deep breath, something he'd practiced over the years, juries apparently were weary of lawyers who didn't breathe often, Bao frowned.

"She knew me. She made that abundantly clear. To say I did not make a good impression would be an understatement."Â?

This offspring seemed to alternate between trying to kill him, trying to flee and trying to protect what ever mortal she happened to be in contact with. It was quite perplexing. Three hundred years was a long time to carry a grudge.

"I had very much hoped she would still join us. As it turns out she would be a very valuable addition, however..."Â?

He reached to swing the monitor on his desk around so Amir could see it.

"There is a bit of a complication."Â?

On the screen was an article from an IT journal. The article was about Meridian and there was an excellent picture of the child in question. There could be no question that she was affiliated with Evenhet.

Between her affiliation with Evenhet and her hostility/fear towards him Bao had to admit there was no way he could get her back. Not on his own.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir put the puzzle together in his head as Bao gave it to him. So, this woman was Bao's mistake, much as Amir had made his own. Bao had played it wrong, misjudged her, and that was the key that might have cost them a clanmate. Whether she could be turned to them now, that was the question.

He pondered the picture on the screen of the computer. Bright blue eyes in a fine-boned, Asian face.

"She's pretty," he said. "I can see why she attracted you."

He read the headline on the article and realized what Bao's 'complication' was. "Ah. So she found her way to Evenhet. It could be worse," Amir suggested. Ideally she would have been a rogue, unaffiliated with any Clan. She would have been easier to contact, easier to sway. Worst case, she'd have been an orphan. Death would have been an option then, if they couldn't persuade her to see the light as it were.

Evenhet, though... they were cousins. Gone astray, perhaps, misguided and weakened by their own vision, but founded by vampires just as old and just as strong as many of Anantya's Elders. It would be difficult to pry her from them. She would have to be courted, enchanted, convinced.

He raised his eyebrows at Bao.
"You want me to help."

It wasn't a question. Bao wouldn't have asked him here, wouldn't have confessed all of this, if he didn't want more than advice. If, as he said, this woman didn't like him at all, he would need someone to do the charming, the coercion.

He resumed bouncing his heels lightly off the desk, waiting for Bao to confirm or deny. Thunk, thunk.
Bao 14 years ago
Despite his seeming understanding of the situation Bao did not relax. He simply couldn't guess what Amir was thinking at this point. For as much as they had been through together, this was uncharted territory. At least he understood why he'd been attracted to her. Perhaps that would soften his opinion somewhat.

He nodded while regarding the picture again. Perhaps her eyes had distracted him. Perhaps. They were part of the reason he wanted her back, that was certain. It was a trait he might have picked up from his father.

"It could be better as well. However, based on my research she is worth the effort."Â?

Anantya could use a shot in the technological arm. It wasn't that they were out dated or ignorant of technology but she would give them a nice jump. The fact that she'd managed to survive this long also suggested a certain amount of strength and determination, depending on when Evenhet found her that was.

"I was hoping you would. She won't respond to me except perhaps to hide behind them and I can hardly knock on the door and demand the return of what's mine."Â?

Bao didn't let himself react at all to the thunking of Amir's shoes on his desk. He would live with the scuff marks if that's what he needed to do.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir sighed, a heavy, slightly put-upon noise. Rolling his eyes he muttered, "Bao, you know how much I love watching you work. But I've got my Clan's 5000th anniversary to plan, some wolves to Command and some losers to frame for it. I'm swamped!"

Continuing to tap his heels gently against the desk, careful not to actually do damage to it, he finally continued. "I'll do what I can. I can't promise much. You might have to give her up for a lost cause."

It wasn't the answer he liked to give. He preferred to see things wrapped up neatly and organized. He would love to see this lady vampire of Bao's embrace the proper Clan as she should, but somehow it sounded like it was shaping up to be a bit more difficult than that.

"So what's her name?"

Thunk, thunk.

((ooc: Lovingly ripped off of the Princess Bride))
Bao 14 years ago
The rambling little speech perplexed Bao, but he’d learned not to question some of Amir’s thought processes. Besides, he couldn’t argue with anything that had been said.

“All work and no play…”

Bao goaded just a little bit. It could be an interesting challenge. One he would have enjoyed had the circumstances been different. The idea of giving up his prize was depressing. Something about this one very much affected him in an ‘if he couldn’t have her, no one would’ sort of way.

“That is all I can ask for Cha. She is, of course, not priority.”

Brightening somewhat when asked her name he nodded to the article, which did cover those basics. Of course, he wouldn’t make Amir read though it.

“Pakpao Metharom.”

This time he did flinch as feet beat against his desk.

“I do think you’ll like her.”
Amir 14 years ago
Amir's eyes narrowed as he grinned his silky-smooth grin at Bao. "Oh, there's been plenty of time for play," he said with satisfaction. From murdering unsuspecting werewolves to his welcome and blossoming relationship with Dana, there was plenty of play.

He fixed his eyes to the computer screen once more, considering the matter of the pretty blue-eyed Asian.

"Pakpao," he repeated slowly, affixing her name to memory. "I'm sure I'll love her." It was said dryly, as he noted Bao's eagerness.

"We all make mistakes," he said to the younger man. "We'll see if we can't somehow patch this one. If not..." he shrugged. Bao's problem, not his. If Bao wanted her gone he could make her gone.
Bao 14 years ago
Understanding Amir’s meaning Bao half smiled. In this case, work and play were the same, at least for Amir. Bao occasionally suspected he worked too much, but it was who he was. Although, aside from Pakpao he was looking forward to playing with Dr. Gounder. There were consequences for thwarting him in a business setting.

As to the matter of his wayward daughter, he would have no complaints no matter how Amir chose to approach her.

However, his mild show of enthusiasm was quickly reigned in.

“It is not a mistake I intend to repeat.”

As to the other, he simply nodded. She could vanish and Evenhet would be none the wiser as to how or why.
Amir 14 years ago
"Sometimes it's out of your control," Amir said, speaking from experience although Bao didn't know that. "We'll see what happens."

Assuming that this Pakpao was the thing Bao had wanted to talk to him about, Amir hopped off Bao's desk, pretending not to notice the lawyer's look of relief. Now he did take the time to study the office decor, which he found somewhat ostentatious yet fitting for this sort of setting. His own apartment was far more spartan and he imagined if he had an office it would be much the same.

"You should ditch that Van Gogh and get something older," he said snootily. "Dai Jin would look very good there."

He was no art critic, but he was aware his taste and Bao's differed greatly. Ironically, Bao seemed to favor European artists while Amir stuck closer to traditional Asian artistry.
Bao 14 years ago
Another nod and a checked sigh as Amir finally got of the desk.

He raised an eyebrow at the idea of a Dai Jin. The man’s work was notable, admirable even but not right for the ambiance of his office.

“I couldn’t hang an original here. I don’t have enough control over the temperature or humidity.”

It was a reasonable cover story, but Bao’s real objection was the clash in style and he had no desire to redecorate his office.

“I was considering either a Da Vinci or a Seurat.”

He had works by both artists, but the Seurat would be as questionable as the Dai Jin. Perhaps he should risk the Dai Jin though eclectic spaces seemed to be all the rage these days.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir considered the possibility of Bao being able to get his hands on an original Dai Jin. Not only were they rare, but they were national treasures and locked down more tightly than most living celebrities he could think of. He wasn't going to give Bao the satisfaction of seeing him consider the ramifications of obtaining an original though.

"Da Vinci is overrated," he muttered with good-natured pickiness. "Everyone has a Da Vinci. Find something less commonplace; none of your clients are going to be impressed by Da Vinci."

He was warming up to this topic now. He hadn't come by Bao's office to critique his art selections, and he really didn't know a lot about the subject, but he knew enough to muddle by. Most of Amir's own collection, though, were originals that had been given to him by other people; either the artists or someone related. It was rare for him to have recognizable artwork on display, but he did have one or two pieces that would cause a double-take.
Bao 14 years ago
Bao could almost hear Amir pondering the idea that he might indeed have an original Dai Jin. He did, in fact, have one purchased centuries ago when his family still had some tiny bit of influence. It wasn’t listed in any catalog any where as it had always been in his own personal collection. He was willing to bet most serious art historians would kill to get even a glimpse of it.

One corner of his mouth twitched in amusement as Amir let the idea drop.

“If he is over rated why I have I spent a small fortune collecting them?”

Not that the money meant anything to him.

This was now a serious topic of conversation, slightly irritated Bao tossed out.

“Perhaps something more modern, a Pollack or a Warhol?”

He –loathed- Warhol and had made that abundantly clear on more than one occasion to more than one person.
Amir 14 years ago
"That's how you know he's overrated," Amir shot back at Bao with a wicked grin.

He brightened at Bao's suggestion. He might not know as much about art as his offspring, but Bao had bitched enough about Warhol for him to get the idea.

"Oh yes," he said with enthusiasm. "A Warhol would be excellent there. Just think, you could see it every day."

He made a picture frame with his fingers, rotating it this way and that, looking very serious as he pretended to plot the ideal location for Bao's Warhol.
Bao 14 years ago
“I don’t believe explaining the principles of supply and demand to you will change your mind.”

Of course Bao had a genuine fondness and appreciation for Da Vinci but that was neither her nor there.

His face simply went dead at Amir’s enthusiasm for the Warhol. His maker had an odd sense of humor sometimes. Bao, however, recognized it at teasing an didn’t go into prickly hostile art critic mode.

“It would be an excellent suggestion except I had planed to give the Warhol to you for your birthday. Now, however, you’ve ruined the surprise.”
Amir 14 years ago
"You can explain the principle until you're blue in the face, figuratively speaking, but no. My mind is pretty well made up."

Amir had no problems being snarky with Bao. With that in mind he addressed the idea of receiving such a gift for his supposed birthday.

"Well how about you give it to me for my birthday and I'll act surprised?" Amir offered Bao his most helpful smile. "Make sure you wrap it nicely, too."

Amir crossed back to Bao's desk and hopped back onto it.

"Oh, and maybe you could figure out when my birthday is." Amir had never celebrated that occasion.