Lessons in Self Discovery (Private - attn. Amir)

Upon gathering their things from the rental facility, they changed into their dry clothes and took a much shorter route back to Amir's bike. Dana had wedged the bag containing their swimsuits between herself and Amir as he drove them back to Heolfor.

Dana debated with herself as they drove with determined speed. She wanted very much to have him in her rooms, but what if he moved something, or they made a mess, or so many other things that could put her space out of order.

But then she knew that he would not do such things on purpose. On and on, over and over, with her cheek pressed to his shoulder and her chest molded to his back, she circled herself.

She had decided that she would invite him to her rooms, she needed to let go of this need for everything to be in such perfect order. Just look at her now, she'd not had a brush, so the clip held a twist of very tangled hair. She would need another shower, just to put that to rights. It didn't bother her as much as it could, quite probably because of who she was wrapped around.

When they arrived at the Manor, she said little and tucked herself to Amir's side as they walked into the imposing front foyer. She opened her mouth to invite him to her room, but he took them in the wrong direction before the first word passed her lips.

A soft smile relaxed her face, and she pressed herself more closely to Amir, enjoying the light caress of his hand along her arm.

Amir 14 years ago
Amir wasn't sure what Dana's plans were, but she had professed a desire to know more about him. That was all well and good, so he presumed to put them on equal footing right from the start. He knew where she lived, but she couldn't say the same of him. Most of the time he wanted it that way, but that wasn't the case here.

He led them through the vast and winding halls of Heolfor, up to the topmost level, and back into an area of one wing that was very quiet. It was clean, of course, but it had the effect of being not heavily-trafficked. At the end of the hall, in the very farthest corner of the Manor, was his suite.

He slid the key into the lock and opened the door, gesturing to Dana so she could precede him. While common sense might indicate that here, at Heolfor, there was no need for locks, Amir's privacy was important to him. In addition, his duties often (and almost always) involved secrecy. Furthermore, there were some very sharp weapons in here if someone explored enough.

He closed the door quietly behind them even though he was pretty sure he had no neighbors at the moment, crossed the living room, and turned up the one small lamp on the table by the recliner. His keys he hung on a small hook by the door, just over the rarely-used light switch that woul illuminate the entire room.

Looking at Dana, he shrugged.
"This is how we begin, I suppose."

It was rare for him to bring people here; in fact the only visitors he'd had to this suite were Bao and Subira, a long time ago. The cleaning staff, of course, kept it from growing musty while he was away, but they didn't count.

Amir stood in the middle of the living room and waited to curiously to see what, if anything, captured Dana's attention.
Dana 14 years ago
The walk was long and Dana had a small feeling she would not be able to find her way here on her own for another time or two. She wasn't bad with directions or got lost with a map and compass or anything, it was just that Heolfor was so large and she'd not explored it all yet.

His rooms were much different than her own, and she was glad that she did not have the amount of space he did. It was only more to keep perfect.

After a smile up at him, she gave in to her own innate curiosity and took in the entirety of the room. He had little in the way of furniture, but it was serviceable and set up well. If it had been her room she would have placed everything in almost the exact same way.

Her eye came to rest on the shelves and the little bits of Amir resting there. Not one to stiffle herself when in private, she moved to the shelves. Touching only the edges of the shelves she studied the things he chose to display, wondering at the meaning of them.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir moved behind Dana, resting his hands gently upon her shoulders. He looked at the items on the shelves as well, remembering why they were there. It wasn't in his nature to be talkative, particularly not on the topic of himself, but Dana had asked and it would be rude of him not to offer anything at all.

He chose the item on the shelves with the least personal significance to him; he liked it, and it had meaning, but not quite the same as the rest of them.

"The dragon," he said, "was carved by a young man from China in the early eighth century. It was a gift; I did him a favor."

It was a remarkable statue; the creamy ivory seemed to have a life of its own and the artist had worked with the material's natural flow to create a rippled effect that made each tiny little scale look like it was alive. The dragon's eyes were inlaid with gold and they glimmered in the dim light.
Dana 14 years ago
Leaning back into Amir's solid body, Dana looked up at the carving. It was lovely and had love behind the making. His explaination of it nearly made her chuckle. It would be interesting to delve into the depths of enigma he kept shrouded about himself.

"It's beautiful." She would not ask for more than he was willing to give. She knew that people did not like to be pushed. Part of the art of gathering information was knowing when your mark could and could not be pushed. She sensed that Amir did not share himself easily and it was going to be her pleasure to be one of the few he shared with.

With a soft smile in her eyes, she turned under his hands, then rising up on her toes placed a gentle kiss on his lips. She wanted him to show her the rest of his home, but would wait until he was ready.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir nodded his agreement with Dana's statement. The dragon was lovely, indeed. It was part of his small collection of personal items here at Heolfor. He kept a few on these shelves at any given time; he rotated them out when he wanted to see something new but it wasn't that often.

The look on Dana's face as she turned toward him was just as lovely, if not more so. Amir let his hands slide down her shoulders, resting at her elbows to draw her close. When she kissed him he responded in kind, letting his hands move around her tiny waist. The embrace didn't last too long, but it was yet another promise of things to come. All in time, Amir thought. They had time, and now that their goal was nearly a foregone conclusion, he had the patience to take them there slowly and comfortably, each step of the journey to be savored as much as the last. He hadn't lied to Dana when he'd said he wouldn't willingly hurt her.

His dark eyes gleamed in the dim light as he pulled away from her a little. Keeping one hand at the small of her back, he guided her further into the living room, for they'd barely stepped inside. There wasn't much to see, admittedly, but she had wanted to know.

Crossing to the sliding doors, he drew the heavy curtains aside and opened the shades, letting the moonlight in.

"You can turn the lights on if you like," he offered. "I usually prefer it dark though."

He wasn't even sure if the lights worked, although he had no reason to believe they didn't. He had nothing to offer her to drink, either, as he didn't keep anything of that nature in his rooms. If he was hungry, he found a human, simple as that. He assumed Dana would understand that. They weren't humans - living space, for them, was merely a place to store things, rest, be solitary. It was the only place he could bring her if she really wanted intimate details, but she wasn't going to find them written plain as day. She would have to ask, to explore. So far she seemed hesitant to do so. Amir wouldn't have brought her to his sanctuary, however, if he hadn't intended her to see and question. She was smart though. She would figure it out in time and eventually, he hoped, she would do him the same courtesy and share herself.

There were any number of places he could have taken her otherwise - the observatory, the library, one of the intimate little gardens outside. He rarely brought people to his rooms but he considered it essential, if they were to be lovers, to understand what they kept about them, what things they each considered special.
Dana 14 years ago
Dana considered the rooms around her. "No, thank you. The choices you have made for this room lend to more intimate lighting. Turning the overhead lights on would cast a harshness about the place that would ruin the feel of peace and sanctuary."

She turned her attention to him again. "You've created a sanctuary here haven't you?

Her smile was gentle and warm as she considered this. If that was the case, she had a feeling he did not let many with in this space. That spoke volumes to her, as she too did not allow many in her own space.

Crossing the room, she ran her fingers along the top of the wood chest below his television. She took a moment to admire the weaving resting on top, before crouching down to study the carving on the doors.

"Where is this from? It seems Asian, possibly Chinese. These trees here look like the ones in an engraving I have, that a friend gave to me after she went to China."

Dana took a liberty she would have cringed at someone taking with her things, and ran her fingers along the mentioned trees.
Amir 14 years ago
"I made it what it needed to be, for myself," Amir said with a nod. Sanctuary was an appropriate word. This was a respite from the world outside.

He also crossed the room to where Dana was, in front of the long, low cabinet. "Yes, it's Chinese. A commission. The scene on the doors was an area I lived in for a while. I enjoyed it there. I've been back several times, for the Clan."

Amir felt beneath the overhanging lip of the cabinet and deftly flicked a hidden tab, cleverly inlaid in the wood, which released the doors. Pulling one of them open he showed Dana the inside of the cabinet, which was a collection of swords. They were from different eras and different places, mounted carefully within the cabinet. Differing sizes and shapes as well. Each was honed to perfect sharpness and kept free of tarnish. Each was also perfectly practical. While beautiful and well-crafted with artistic flare, none of them was meant strictly for ornamentation.

"Do you know how to use any of these?" Amir was curious how far Dana's education had gone, and also curious what effect the swords would have on her. Most of the women he claimed friendship with were members of his small group and thought nothing of it. Amir hadn't told Dana much about his particular function within Anantya but this should help clear it up some. He was to Subira, and Anantya, what a sword was to him - a well-crafted weapon.
Dana 14 years ago
"Oh." The exclamation was involuntary, as the metal with in glinted as moonlight and soft lamp light touched it. Her fingers reached out and slid carefully down the length of the top most sword.

Dana shook her head at Amir.
"Not very well. Sebastian had tried to teach me, but I find them awkward in my hands and I can not seem to find a balance with them."

Turning, she quirked a wry smile up at Amir. "If you had a bow and arrows, I could show you a thing or two."

Life in the countryside of Ireland meant that you provided for your household's protein needs with frequent hunts, and as the commercialization of food animals increased hunting became sport. In the past century Dana had become markedly better with the bow as she mastered the ability to move her senses out from her body.

"Or a garrote and several nice stilettos." Her work as a court spy for Lady Erin had required her knowledge of the use of such things. Dana did not abhor or disdain violence, as it had its place and was often necessary in meeting a particular goal. Still grinning, she traced her fingers along the carvings on the handle of one of Amir's swords.

He had a number of intricately carved things, she felt they reflected him well. Complicated when viewed from up close, simple to see the beauty from afar.
Amir 14 years ago
"Sebastian?" Amir repeated the unfamiliar name back to Dana, the question clear in his voice. He knew Lady Erin was her creator, and that she was fond of her, but Dana hadn't mentioned anyone else important to her. Another vampire? He was curious but she could answer or not, as she chose. Every person had things they wished to keep only to themselves.

Her claim with a bow made him raise his eyebrows and smile a little. She had confidence in her skills there, that was good. He didn't think she'd boast without cause, but he wasn't prepared to be knocked off his feet yet. He'd seen some damn good marksmen and women in his time, and was no slouch himself.
"I'll take you up on that some time - and I do, down in the training facility. Several types. Sound like fun?"

At her mention of the garrote and stilettos, he stilled and watched her seriously for a few moments though. It wasn't the content of her words as much as the inflection. He hadn't expected that from her. From other women he knew, yes, but from Dana?

"I'm pretty sure those are hanging out around here somewhere, too," he said softly, his tone silken and smooth. His eyes didn't leave her face, but stayed watching, assessing. His own thoughts were racing around like wild horses but it didn't show on his face. He was too adept at deceit for that. The idea of Dana with a garrote or a stiletto, however, was - distracting.
Dana 14 years ago
Dana nodded at Amir, not sure why she nodded, but it seemed the right reaction to his question. "Aye, we lived in his home in Spain during the Second World War."

She grinned at him. "Like great fun, just don't get your feelings hurt when I best you." She had great confidence in her skills, and knew very few who could match or beat her. When she set about doing something, she became the best she could, until perfection was reached or it became apparent it was not for her. There was no shame in knowing you could not do a thing well and abandoning the pursuit of it.

She watched him go still and study her. Had she surprised him with that bit of information? The tone of his voice changed just a small bit, and she recognized it as the tone he'd used upon their first meeting. She'd caught him off guard... how interesting. She did not believe in defending ones views to someone who did not share them, but she could and would explain herself.

Her smile was soft and her voice warm as she spoke.
"I've my own, stored in a small black case, tucked into a drawer. Lady Erin gave them to me, long ago, when I'd finished training with her personal assassin. He had grown weary of the job he'd been commissioned for, so because of the work I already did for her and my innate abilities, Lady Erin chose me as his replacement."

Her left shoulder shrug slightly, this had simply been her life, she had not questioned Lady Erin's decisions and she still did not. What needed doing, needed doing and Dana was equipped to carry out the tasks given her. "After completion of my first assignment, he disappeared. Rumor was that he'd outlived his use."

Dana shook her head. "I do not think her that wasteful, one does not throw out a good knife because the blade is dull. It can be sharpened and used again."
Amir 14 years ago
Comprehension appeared on Amir's face at the explanation of who Sebastian was, which wasn't much of an explanation but was enough for him.

He furrowed his brows slightly, a little disturbed at Dana's boastfulness, but not doubting her.
"I'm sure you will, but I won't make it easy. I haven't had someone to shoot with in a while." He would enjoy that; often he trained alone and he preferred to have someone around, for competition always encouraged him to work harder.

As Dana continued speaking, explaining about Lady Erin's assassin, Amir wondered if she had felt the need to defend her words. Her tone was warm though, and he listened to the story and enjoyed hearing her background. As she finished he nodded in agreement with her assessment of a useful tool. He was on the other side of that fence. In his youth he had wondered if and when Subira might tire of him or consider him worn out. In the three hundred years he'd spent as her 'apprentice' of sorts, however, he had developed enough trust in his creator to know that she didn't turn anyone lightly and intended to keep him around for as long as possible.

Dana's mention of innate abilities had him curious as well, but he wasn't going to pry. He knew of many vampiric abilities that would lend themselves well to the job she'd described, and thought all of them fitting. What could be better than a cleverly hidden weapn in a package as sweet and small as Dana? The idea made him smile.

"No doubt you were an effective replacement," he said. "It must have been fun."

That was how he saw it, anyway. Assassination was not entirely outside of Amir's line of work, and he'd been called to it as the situation required. He didn't comment, otherwise. It was good to hear Dana speak of herself, of her upbringing. He didn't want to stop her by pulling attention away.
Dana 14 years ago
Chuckling softly, Dana rose from the crouched position she'd been in. She wanted to explore his home more, but it would be rude to walk away from him in the middle of a conversation. Instead she rested her bottom lightly on the edge of the sword cabinet.

"Most of the time it was. Occasionally it was frustrating and hard, making it more about the hunt than the kill."

She chuckled again, remembering one such assignment, that had taken her three months to complete and had ended in finding her mark in flagrante delicto with a milk maid in a hay loft.

Dana was not unhappy to no longer be tasked with such things, nor was she happy about it. It simply was and the memories would serve her one day as would the skills. She was not naive enough to think she would never be called to do such things again, but the respite was nice. If the Clan instead of Lady Erin needed her particular skills, she would use them.

She knew Amir would do the same. She wondered if he would use her in his fight to keep the Clan safe. She would offer her services, not now, not here, but soon.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir favored Dana with the same look he'd given her previously. As she rose he rose with her, but he stepped in close instead of giving her freedom to move about and kissed her, not hesitantly, not teasingly, but deeply and intimately, lingering over her lips like a glass of fine wine. When he did pull away it was reluctantly, but he didn't want to lose his train of thought entirely.

"You didn't need to explain it to me, but I'm glad that you did," he said. Why was he glad though? It was more than just opening up to him. He'd been a confidante before and there was nothing new in that. Maybe it was nice to know she had layers, and she too was more than what she seemed.

He closed his eyes for a moment, making it more of a long, slow blink, and when he opened them they narrowed a little, crinkling at the corners as he smiled at her. Still holding her close he asked her,
"Do you still enjoy the hunt? Or do you prefer the catch?"

His tone was rife with innuendo; his expression serious but not too serious. He could easily go on holding her and kissing her for the rest of the night and well into the day, if that was what she wanted.
Dana 14 years ago
It was not easy to hide as she usually did, when with Amir. So when his lips possessed her's, a soft noise, somewhere between a moan and a sigh, met his kiss. She gave herself fully into the dance of their mouths, savoring his taste as he did her own.

Her eyes opened with several slow blinks, when he pulled away and spoke. She smiled at him, feeling that nothing more was necessary from her.

Brushing her fingers along his arm, her smile quirked up to one side.
"The catch is always the most rewarding, but the hunt can make it more so."

Her tongue moved to slowly wet her lips, as she gave Amir a slow once-over "It's not much fun if the mark is too easy to catch."
Amir 14 years ago
Amir chuckled deep in his throat, grinning widely at Dana. He watched her as her eyes roved over him, the feeling not uncomfortable in the least. So he was a mark, was he? He didn't mind that either. It was good to know, however, that she wasn't expecting him to jump straight into bed with her. He had considered briefly that she might misinterpret his purpose in bringing her back to his rooms and for that reason he'd hesitated. He had judged her correctly though; for all her shyness and lack of self-confidence, Dana was clever and seemed much bolder when given the right encouragement, and her intelligence made her company enjoyable.

Shaking his head, still smiling, he said,
"Well. There isn't much more to this place, but you're welcome to see it if you like. There is something in the bedroom I think you'll find very interesting."

This time his tone lacked any sort of innuendo at all; there were actually several things in the inner chamber Dana would probably find intriguing and none of them were "the bed." Still, his mouth twisted up wryly and he quietly acknowledged the humor in the statement, certain she would see it as well.

It was the best way he could tell her that tonight was hers. She was welcome to ask questions, be blunt, pry. He had promised her he would let her in and so he'd brought her here. The problem was, he thought, looking around briefly, he wasn't entirely sure any of these things really said much about him. Sometimes it seemed as though he had lost his own identity.

That was the wrong thought for tonight though. He shoved it aside and let Dana choose their course.
Dana 14 years ago
Dana let the laughter his offered caused fill the room around them. She did not think he'd meant to imply what those words could, and it had tickled her. When the short burst of merriment had run its course, Dana pushed up from the cabinet.

"I'd like to see this interesting thing"

She stepped from the small space they shared, and took his hand. There was only one direction to go, and only one door that was open and looked like it lead to a bedroom type space. She took them down the hall and through the doorway.

Taking only a few steps in, she stopped and took in the sparse furnishings of this other room of Amir's home. It did not take long and her eyes were drawn to yet another intricately carved item he chose to display.
Amir 14 years ago
They made their way into the starlit space of Amir's bedroom. It was dark save for the scattered lights of his star-globe and he liked the feeling of stepping into nothingness. It was always slightly disorienting, and it took him a fraction of a second to adjust his balance. Vampire eyes were keen though, and he noticed Dana's attention drawn to the box in the corner right away.

He was sure she'd have seen a puzzle box before, but this one in particular had been carved by a master, his work far beyond his time. The wood grains were matched perfectly and the box appeared seamless. Small flowers decorated the outside, petals and interwoven stems made of different colored woods. Many antique puzzle boxes had multiple steps needed to open them, and some of them were incredibly intricate. Amir's was one such box, requiring 103 distinct movements to open it. In the centuries since he'd had it, he'd gotten good enough at it to open it within a minute.

He sat on the bed, letting Dana explore as she wanted. He was familiar enough with the box to be able to get it back into shape if she decided to attempt it, but he was also certain she would not be able to open it without many days of study. It had been designed to keep out even the most tenacious of curious snoopers, as puzzle boxes were. The best part, in Amir's opinion, was that it was trapped as well. Any number of wrong moves would catch the culprit in a finger-trap that could only be released by making several more moves. These moves had nothing to do with the actual opening of the box, and most of them required two hands; therefore someone else had to be present to free them. This, Amir had learned the hard way.

It was both a wicked and a delightful little box, and it was Amir's favorite belonging. As much as he tried not to be materialistic, he had never seen anything else like this box and he admitted he was quite possessive of it.
Dana 14 years ago
Dana's eyes adjusted quickly to the dark of the bedroom as she crossed to the box. The way he had it displayed suggested to her that it was a great treasure to him. As she took more liberties with his things, running her fingers along the carvings of the box, she could see why. Her knowledge of these kinds of boxes was not great, she knew that it, like Amir, was more than met the eye.

She would like very much to sit and play with it, try and puzzle out the secret to its opening, but now was not the time. She would ask for such a privilege on another day.

Reluctantly she moved away from the box, moving to the dresser, there was nothing on the top of the piece of furniture, but above it was a hanging with words in what looked like Arabic, but that was all she could say about it. That was one language and area of the world she had yet to study.

That was the entirety of the room, save the slowly moving globe on the other side that was causing the room to be cast in a soft barely discernible glow. She felt no need to investigate the globe when it was obvious what it did.

With a smile upon her face, Dana crossed to the bed, toed off her boots and sat down next to Amir, crossing her legs as she pushed back further onto the bed.

"What does that say?" She gestured to the wall hanging, very curious as to what he would put on his wall as a reminder or remembrance to himself.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir watched Dana as she continued her exploration and examination. She was careful of his belongings but he had known she would be. There was even less to see here than there had been outside, however, and she soon came to join him on the bed.

She stuck out in his rooms, with her light hair and her fair skin; she was a single spot of brightness in the silky dimness. The contrast was appealing and welcome.

Amir looked at the tapestry in question when Dana brought his attention to it. It was a small work, done in meticulous needlepoint in shades of blue.

"It says, 'The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step,'" he translated for her. It was a well-known phrase with Arabic origins. "It's done in Semitic."
Dana 14 years ago
Semitic...Dana took the time to search her memory banks. It refered to the Semites, particularly the Jews, but also to certain mid-east subcultures. She was guessing this was from the second portion of that definition. She did not know much about the area sandwiched between Asia and Europe, other than what she'd read occasionally in passing.

It was interesting to know that Amir respected his heritage enough to keep it about him.
"Such a true part of life."

She smiled at him, then lay back on the bed. She found herself very comfortable with Amir, and pretense and formality seemed to be no longer part of their relationship, at least in her mind. She wanted to admire the play of the lights on the ceiling, and did so.

"Oh." She was taken aback by what she saw, she'd been expecting the horoscope calendar depicted with stars, but instead found an exact replication of the night sky.

"You go to sleep with this each night?"