Picnic Blankets (open)

It had been exactly five days since her encounter with Amir, and today she was determined -not- to look for him. She'd roamed the Manor every evening,on the pretense of learning more about new home, but in actuality had been looking for him. It was silly and childish, and she knew he had better things to do than spend all of his time with her.

So tonight she had gone to the library and found a book about the native flora and fauna of Nachton. Then she'd found Rupert and he'd provided her with a wicker basket filled with,
"Everything you might need, Miss."

Now she made her way to one of the many parks, this particular one was nothing more than a wild flower meadow. She walked to the very center of the space, and set down the basket and book.

Squatting, she opened the top flaps and pulled out a soft white quilt dotted sporadically with small purple flowers. After laying it out, she rifled through the remainder of the contents, finding a silver thermos, three different sizes of silver tins, a small pillow and a lantern.

She opened each container, finding her favorite tea, strawberries, biscuits and her favorite little chocolates. With a soft smile, she set the pillow on the blanket, lay back and opened her book.

Bao 14 years ago
He’d gone out right after full dark. He’d been feeling rather run down and hungry lately. Of course, under the circumstances, it was quite understandable; but he’d be doing every one a disservice to let that condition continue. He wasn’t a terribly picky eater, but he was cautious and in a hurry. That had left him with no choice but the House of Pain where he’d fed more than he strictly needed too before returning, showering and checking in with his creator.

Haven’t left Bao he now had some time before a conference call with China. It was an awkward amount of time, not enough to go out and enjoy himself or accomplish much. So he began wandering the grounds, he had a fondness for the out of doors and natured, but ‘civilized’ nature as he though of it. Neatly landscaped areas, topiaries, paths, ponds and such. He wasn’t about to go camping.

This garden, Bao had quickly determined, wasn’t quite civilized enough for his taste. Although the flowers were lovely and he did find some of it appealing, overall he wanted nothing more than to organize it. Still years of discipline made him finish his circuit through it rather than just leaving. As he approached the center, he found a young lady. Obviously, she either lived her or belonged to some one who did. One did not just wander about the manor.

He smiled at her, quite a charming welcoming smile, if one could over look his over sized canines that was.

“Good evening. A lovely night out isn’t it?”
Dana 14 years ago
Chipmunk, the tiny little furry thing she'd seen had been a chipmunk. After discovering that, she'd returned to the front page of the book and was currently immersed in the relative species found in the old growth forests of the eastern seaboard, particularly those south of something called the Mason Dixon Line.

"Good evening. A lovely night out isn't it?"Â?

She once more managed to keep the scream that jumped to her throat safely inside. What was it with strange men sneaking up on her lately? To be fair, almost every man here was strange.

Instead, she set her finger over her place and looked up. He was a nice looking man, and she had to assume if he was here then he was a vampire or belonged to one. Though in her experience the familiars did not often wander about alone at night.

And because she was home, she was safe, this man was not here to harm her and he knew the world she lived in. That being the case, she was simply herself.

"Good Evening."

Sitting up she offered the man a smile. "It's very lovely, a bit warm, but that's something I'm coming to enjoy."

Nimble hands made sure the myriad of folds of the poppy colored dress she wore, lay neatly around her legs.
Bao 14 years ago
Small, delicate and unless he missed his guess a bit shy; Bao quickly sized her up. He watched some what fascinated that she would take the time to arrange all of those folds. Granted he would, but somehow that was different.

"Then I would have to say you are not from here."Â?

For him it was actually a bit cool out, not that he minded. He'd managed just as well in Northern Russia as he had in his home land. Weather didn't matter much to him, but it was polite non-threatening and common enough conversation even amount his own kind. It was undoubtedly some kind of human hold over or well accustom camouflage, possibly a bit of both.

"I do apologize I'm not disturbing your privacy am I?"Â?

Although it would be nice to get to know some of the others in the manor he wouldn't intrude.
Dana 14 years ago
She chuckled softly, "No I am not, from here."

He seemed nice enough, and she was somewhat lonely. She'd gotten a letter from Lady Erin yesterday and it had reminded her to make friends with the clan members residing in Heolfor. Though she was certain Lady Erin had meant the women here, so far she'd only met Ysabel, and she was beginning to wonder if they were the only women here.

"Not, at all. Would you care to join me?"

She indicated the half of the quilt she wasn't occupying with a gesture of her hand. "Rupert sent a lovely basket with me if you'd like some refreshment."

She'd no desire for the goodies he'd sent, food and drink usually only came into her hands with she was bored or needed a reason to be sociable. Though, manners dictated she offer and she would not mind sharing a cup of tea with this new person.

"I'm Dana"

She said by way of introduction, once more her breeding insisting she introduce herself to this member of her clan. Humans were meant to be nameless food, but clan was like part of the royal court, one does not refrain from giving introduction to a member of court.
Bao 14 years ago
“It seems that very few of us are from here, but having a home away from where ever home was is one of the many advantages of family. Especially if one chooses not to return to ones roots.”

Bao hadn’t meant to wax philosophical but he hadn’t been able to stop himself. He hoped it didn’t put the young lady off.

The invitation to join her was slightly unexpected and he considered it for several seconds. Finally, he decided there was no harm.

“Thank you. That was very considerate of him.”

He smiled, almost smiled and sat neatly down on the blanket. He considered the offer of refreshment but found he wasn’t particularly in the mood. Therefore, while he hadn’t declined he didn’t accept either.

“A pleasure to meet you Dana I am Bao Hoang. What has brought you out on this lovely evening?”
Dana 14 years ago
She watched him sit, he was a graceful man, about the same size as Amir, though lighter in skin tone and obviously a different race, Asian of some kind.

She tried his name out in her head, and she knew she'd never pronounce it quite like he did, but could come close.

"And it is a pleasure to meet you Mr. Hoang."

She grinned and made a sweeping gesture with her arm, indicating the meadow and the trees beyond. "The lovely evening brought me out. I was getting a bit tired of being indoors and fancied some time under the not so full moon."

She returned her smile and gaze back to him "I find the out of doors the best place to read about the out of doors." She was only telling partial lies, well at least the last part was true if nothing else. She was escaping, but he did not need to know that.

"And you, how is it I find myself in your company?"
Bao 14 years ago
“Bao please.”

His eyes crinkled in a smile, although his lips didn’t curve upward. He defiantly approved of the manners and lack of presumption on her part. That scored marks with him.

Thankfully, the moon wasn’t full any more. Bao was both irritated and impressed with his creator’s antics but they were both paying for them.

“For as lovely as the manor is it can be a bit stifling. I, however, wish the moon were less bright it tends to impede star gazing.”

There was a planetarium in Nachton but he’d not had time to visit it.

He cast a quick glance at her book and nodded.

“And have you learned much about your new surroundings? They must have some similarity to your home.”

He’d decided she was northern European, her coloring seemed to imply Irish, possibly Scottish. Bao had never been good at distinguishing them and heaven help him if some one tried to get him to tell a Dane from a Swede.

“I found myself between appointments and had not made a through review of the grounds. Tonight seemed the ideal opportunity.”
Dana 14 years ago
It was with some chagrin that Dana found herself growing bored with this conversation. She did not particularly enjoy small talk, nor was she that great at it, especially when not using it as a means to an end.

"I'm not more than a third through the book, but I've learned some about the flora here, and while similar, nothing is the same as Ireland."

Her homeland would always be the standard of measure for her, and she knew the States held some lovely things, but nothing could ever be as verdant or magical.

She grinned again.
"It simply isn't green enough."

She leaned back, putting her hands behind her and resting her weight upon them. It afforded her the opportunity to look up at the moon. She enjoyed the moon and the night sky and the secrets they still hold.

"The grounds seem to be the easier part of our home to explore. At least if one gets lost out here, one can simply follow the fence line to the front of the manor. Though once inside it is every man for himself." She winked at him, a mischievous smile curling her lips.

"It would be a rather perfect place for a game of hide and seek."
Bao 14 years ago
Ah Ireland, he was right. Of course if she had said Scotland Bao would have considered himself correct as well.

He almost laughed and for just a moment wondered what she'd think of his homeland. That was an entirely different kind of green, but there certainly wasn't a lacking of vegetation.

Raising an eyebrow at her 'everyman for himself' idea Bao considered it. There was some truth; even among family if one wasn't strong enough... but it seemed she was playing. Ah no, not playing she was referring to getting lost in the manor or both. Hide and seek was a child's game wasn't it. It had been so long since he'd had children of his own and he had little use for them now.

He wondered how old she was and what kind of life she had lead that she would still think of children's games. Perhaps she was young or perhaps sheltered. Oddly enough, however, the whimsy of the idea appealed to him and that was a rare moment indeed.

"A game I have not played since my children lived. But you are quite correct there are more than enough place to hide as well as places to lay in wait to catch some one sprinting for 'home'."Â?

He almost laughed, almost, the sound caught in his throat. It, however, was simple enough to tell the idea amused him.

"Or perhaps you were planning on laying in wait for someone?"Â?

That was as close to teasing a new acquaintance as Bao would ever get.
Dana 14 years ago
A soft chuckle bubbled in her throat, "the thought had occurred to me. Though the trouble is, I have no idea where to wait."

Well she had some idea, but it seemed silly to hide behind a chair in the Observatory waiting on a man that might not show up, then jumping out and tapping him on the arm shouting 'You're it!' Still it was an amusing thing to imagine. Though playing hide and seek could be great fun, if your playmates also enjoyed it.

"I'm very very good at hiding. I've been told I'm near impossible to find." She winked at him, he had no idea what that meant but the implications amused her.
Bao 14 years ago
Bao raised a politely interested eyebrow. So she was seeking some one. That didn't surprise him, not really. Between the moonlight picnic and the dress with many folds it was simple enough to surmise she was the romantic type, possibly only moderately but she must have some leanings in that direction.

"Well that all depends on who you are laying in wait for."Â?

He was starting to get confused, although one couldn't tell from looking at him. His countenance never lost its interested yet slightly amused appearance. Although he really was starting to think she wanted to play.

"That is peculiar as I'm an excellent seeker it is very difficult to hide from me."Â?
Dana 14 years ago
She brushed off his comment about it depending on who she was waiting for with a mumbled, "I doubt you know him." Before crinkling her eyes and giving him a good once over.

"I think I'd like to challenge you to a game some day."

Vampire hide and seek had been a favored past time when they lived in Spain with one of Lady Erin's friends during the second world war. Being able to jump from great heights, lift large pieces of furniture and blend into ones surroundings, prove to provide hours of fun when they were forced to remain at home for weeks on end.
Bao 14 years ago
Mumbled or not Bao heard her. He recognized she was dismissing the subject but was curious who would have caught Dana’s attention. If he had to guess, it was a fairly recent infatuation. Not that it was any of his business but he did press slightly.

“Perhaps yes, perhaps no but I am not unfamiliar with the members of our family. We might find we have an acquaintance in common.”

The hide and seek challenge took him aback. Bao had thought they were speaking more theoretically. However, he could see the potential in such a game, it might prove an interesting challenge.

“I think I should be inclined to accept.”
Dana 14 years ago
It occurred to Dana that she didn't actually know Amir's full name and he did not know hers. How incredibly rude of her. She'd have to find a way to correct that the next time she saw him. Either way she was not revealing anymore of herself to this man, just yet. And in true courtly fashion, she simply ignored his statement as if he'd never made it.

She lifted an eyebrow and gave him a more exaggerated once over.

"Alright, but there are rules. Can you follow the rules, Bao? Because it's just no fun when someone breaks the rules of hide and seek."

Her features broke into a smile, rules had been broken every time they'd played, but they set them up just the same and pretended affront when they'd been broken, it added to the fun.
Bao 14 years ago
Ah, a princess. Bao knew the type and knew the best response was simply to go along with her and not press. Undoubtedly, saying anything further would only bring scorn or a temper tantrum; it depended on the degree of royalty.

In response to her exaggerated once over Bao unconsciously straightened his tie and checked to be sure his cuffs were done and straight. The bite would have undoubtedly healed by now and he certainly wouldn't have left a cufflink with his father. That would be careless.

"If the rules are fair and reasonable I'm certain I can follow them to the letter; although I may need to add one or two of my own."Â?

What fun would this be if he couldn't win, and undoubtedly he had the edge here.
Dana 14 years ago
Dana pursed her lips and crinkled her nose. "I guess it depends on what your rules are. After all the rules of childhood hide and seek apply, plus there's is setting a predetermined area of play. One obviously can not leave that are or they forfeit. Then each player must ante up something of equal value. To win you must be 'it' and find all the players or remain the last one in hiding when time runs out."

Smiling she shrugged her shoulders. "We usually played for an entire night, I won a good deal of the time, but I think Sebastian cheated more often than not. I could just never catch him at it."

The memories of those times were bittersweet for her, she had enjoyed the playfulness of Sebastian's home, but deeply missed Ireland and the Lady Erin she was accustomed to.
Bao 14 years ago
"Perhaps rules is to strong a term. Indulgence maybe closer to the mark."Â?

He listened to the rules such as they were and nodded. That sounded reasonable. It did cross Bao's mind that this was not what Amir had meant when he said to enjoy the night life, but for now it was amusing enough. In fact he almost laughed at the idea of finding all the players.

"Are we expecting others? I also suspect that this garden is less than ideal for hide and seek, it is much too open. Perhaps the Cathedral or the first floor of the manor would be acceptable.

Glancing at his watch when she said all night Bao mentally ran down his schedule.

"I'm afraid I will have to forego and all night game but I do have several hours until my next appointment. Will that be reasonable?"Â?

Apparently Sebastian was or had been close to her. Most likely another vampire. How odd, he simply couldn't imagine playing such a game with his own branch of the family. Using it as a training exercise yes, playing for the sheer enjoyment of it, no.
Dana 14 years ago
Dana was quite taken aback. "You want to play now?" Surprise made her voice a bit higher and she'd sat up at his mention of playing now. She'd really though he had just been indulging her fancy, playing along with her. That is what one gets for assuming.

"But I'm not dressed properly, and I haven't anything to offer as prize."

Her cheeks flushed, how silly of her to feel out of sorts, but there it was. She'd really meant she'd like to play a game with him, he was interesting and had a high opinion of his ability to find her. She would enjoy the challenge of staying hidden from him. But, oh dear, she hadn't mean now.
Bao 14 years ago
Bao shook his head slightly and chuckled softly. He had apparently misunderstood her, but it wasn't a major faux pas and something easily fixed.

"Forgive me I misunderstood you. We should of course schedule such an event more players and planning would be a benefit."Â?

Would Amir want to play? Possibly, quite possibly. It would be interesting to see if others would join them as well.

"I was not aware there was a dress code for such a game though."Â?

Again there was that eye crinkling smile as he teased her. The dress she had on was quite lovely, but perhaps not well suited to staying hidden. Something with less color would be more appropriate.
Dana 14 years ago
She smiled at him, relief curling her lips a bit more than she would like, revealing dainty little fangs. "I'd like that, though we don't have to have more players, just some...warning."

Then her eyebrow quirked. "Of course there is a dress code! One dresses for such games, usually in dark fabrics that are close to the body. I have a lovely little black dress that I favor for such things."

She chuckled, turning her head to the side, "You of course would want to wear pants. Of course you could wear a dress if you chose, but I'm not certain you have the legs for it."

She couldn't help herself, her soft child-like laughter tumbled from her lips at her own joke.