Go away

She'd gotten that damned database done for Kem and it was so secure she'd almost managed to lock herself out of it. It hadn't been an easy feat to put the secure one together either she'd pulled a couple of all day shifts and torn it apart at least twice before she was satisfied. No one, but no one would be getting in there unless they were allowed.

Pak had been so wrapped up in getting that project off the ground she'd almost forgotten about a conference she -had- to be at out in Silicon Valley. God damned Them for launching a new OS when she was busy. OK it wasn't launched yet but she needed to know how to work with it, or around it (Meridian was -not- driven by their software she'd seen to that) to keep Meridian functioning and competitive.

All that had kept her on the wrong coast for four nights. And while Pak very much enjoyed travel, right now she hated it, she should be back in Nachton. After last night she -needed- to be back in Nachton, it was no longer an option. Every nerve in her body was on edge she needed home, she needed to get away from...

She'd gotten home, she'd gotten away. She'd gotten so far away she hadn't left her rooms since getting home from the airport a week ago. Pak was so far away she hadn't answered her phone or even turned on her computer let alone check her email. Her department was very probably trying to get a hold of her, the odds were good at least one person had knocked on her door but that too was ignored. Pak had shut down hard.

Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Well, the advantage of all those elevator rides was that Pak could no longer safely hide from him on the 31st floor. Not that he enjoyed it, but Kem no longer clung to the rails in the lift as they ascended to precarious heights. No, now he stood there with his arms crossed, his foot tapping, chewing his lip thoughtfully as he rose.

Truth be told, the elevator was the farthest thing from his mind at that moment. Pak was back from her conference; he knew that. In spite of his and Aishe's calls and emails, however, she hadn't emerged from her apartment. Add to that the fact that it had been ridiculously stormy all week (including right now), and he was beginning to worry. He didn't know what kind of supply Pak kept on hand, but a - she would be getting hungry by now and b - even the offer of drinks and video games hadn't roused her so something was horribly wrong. Something much worse than a lightning storm.

Arriving at her door, Kem knocked a few times. No surprise; no answer. A bit louder then, and still no response. He looked up and down the hallway. It was quite empty.

[Pak. If you don't open this door right now, I'm opening it for you.]

Okay, that technically wasn't right. he was going to have MARI open the door. Being the interim Clan Elder had its privileges.

There was no answer; there had been no answer to any of his messages, spoken, sent, mailed, sky-written, whatever. Not for the last week and a half. Fine then. With a few words, Kem flexed his "abuse privileges" muscle and heard the satisfying click as Pak's door unlocked itself.

Opening it, he peered into the darkness. He walked in a few steps, closing the door again behind him, then stopped, rolled his eyes, backtracked, and untied his shoes. He left them neatly at the entrance and made his way into the cave that was Pak's lair.

"Pak?"

Damn it was dark in here, and that was coming from someone whose night vision was better than the average human. With the help of the occasional flash of lightning illuminating the room through the fabric of the tightly-closed roman shades, he managed not to knock anything over.

[Pak? Hide and seek isn't my game.]

Aha. Maybe that - blob - on the couch was her.
Pakpao 14 years ago
The storm was not helping things at all. Pak had curled up into a tight ball and had her face buried in the back of the sofa. She was trying very hard not to see the lightning. But if she closed her eyes she could see him and… No!

No matter how you sliced it this was a no win situation. She wanted to keep her mind blank but her treacherous gray matter was not cooperating on that point.

She heard a voice in her head, but this wasn’t new. She’d been listening to her children off and on since she got home and when they were quiet, some times she could hear other things. It took a second but she recognized this voice as Kem. She was hoping he’d just go away. So far, every one had.

He was inside and speaking. This wasn’t getting better. She almost warned him that her suitcase was still laying on the floor somewhere but she couldn’t remember exactly where.

[Come back tomorrow we can play tidily winks.]

It was quite possible to send and be short, curt, irritated and other wise surly.
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem tripped on something solid, stubbing his toes and nearly taking a header into what he knew from memory was a glass coffee table. As he righted himself, hopping on his un-stubbed foot, he cursed in two or three different languages. Flailing with his hand, he managed to catch sight of a small lamp on a table by the couch. That would do. He flipped it on, the light dim enough to be considered cozy, but bright enough that he wasn't going to faceplant into Pak's deadly coffee table.

[Yeah sure. Maybe we can do hopscotch after that. I'm already practicing.]

Staring sternly down at the lump of blankets on the couch, Kem leaned over and pulled them away.

"Yikes."

He quickly replaced them with a wince.

"What the hell have you been doing to yourself, senet? You look horrible."

Not his most tactful, but Pak looked like death warmed over, which might have seemed normal for a vampire but - all sarcasm aside. Kem was worried. He sat gingerly on the edge of the couch and reached out to lay a hand gently on the blanket-covered lump that was Pak.

[What's wrong? Everyone's worried.]
Pakpao 14 years ago
Apparently, it was too late to warn him about the suitcase. Pak only mentally sighed and counted the languages. It didn’t seem worth the effort to apologize for her housekeeping skills right then. Especially as an extremely bright flash of lightning made itself known outside her window. Why did she live on the 31st floor again?

Pak made a snatch at the blankets as Kem pulled them away. She wasn’t fast enough, but at least he put them back.

[I’m taking my vacation time. I have more than a few weeks on the books go see HR if you don’t believe me.]

She was refusing to speak right now. She’d listen to Kem but she wasn’t going to open her mouth.

Having lost all track of time Pak had no idea who ‘everyone’ would be. Being 24 hours late to work should only have a handful of people wondering where she was.

[What makes you think something is wrong? It's only been a day]
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem tilted his head at Pak's words as they echoed through his head.

"Twenty four hours?"

He unconsciously echoed her out loud. Furrowing his brow he watched Pak for a few moments longer.

[Pak... you've been home for a week.] Why would she think he cared about HR or vacation time? And how could she think she'd been lying here for a day?

Frowning, he pulled the covers back again, this time holding onto them.
[You haven't fed, either.] It was a slightly accusatory tone; he certainly knew the signs when he saw them, and for all she'd ever nagged at him about taking care of himself she was doing a good job of following in his footsteps.

"What's going on, Pak?"

Sending might be more comfortable for her, but he felt like he needed to rouse her from her self-induced comatose state. So more light, no covers, and she could talk to him like a human being. He'd sit her up himself if he had to.
Pakpao 14 years ago
[It has not been a week. I landed last night.]

As he’d stolen her, hidey-hole Pak absently groped about to find something else to pull over her and failed. After a long moment of debate, she sat up quickly to scowl at Kem. That proved to be a mistake, apparently she hadn’t moved for a while as that little action made her dizzy.

“I’m not hungry.”

She barked at him. Truthfully, Pak wasn’t sure she’d ever be able to eat again having witnessed what he did to that poor girl. No one deserved that.

Squinting at the light, she shook her head. Pak was torn she wanted to keep Kem at bay, not to relive it but she also needed to tell some one. Maybe if she shared what had happened it wouldn’t seem so bad.

Even sitting up she pulled her legs up to her chest, still trying to make herself as small as possible. Trying to protect herself from what had happened and she tried to explain what was going on, tried being the operative word.

“You know I went out west, there was a conference.”

She shifted subjects for a second.

“I got that data base done though. I know I showed it to you but are you sure its what you want?”

Trying to make herself focus Pak jumped back to the actual problem.

“I went out hunting and…”

It was too much, shaking her head she gave up silently pleading with Kem not to make her say any more and at the same time knowing she had to.
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem, seated where he was on the opposite end of Pak's couch, listened patiently while she waffled around the topic of what was upsetting her. Clearly, she was having trouble getting to it but - well, he thought she would if he just listened.

The question she asked him seemed rhetorical and he shook his head dismissively as she asked it; time enough to discuss that later. Pak immediately moved to the other topic again, the one that, whatever it was, was causing her trouble.

When she stopped speaking, he gently prodded her.
"You went out hunting... and?"
Pakpao 14 years ago
Pak shook her head. No she was done talking about this it was over. Damned Kem for showing up at her door and not leaving her alone, she'd have made some kind of peace with it eventually. And damned him for just sitting there and waiting. Numbly she rambled at him.

"God Kem she was so young. I might have been her first customer."Â?

Even if Kem hadn't known one of her more preferred hunting methods she wouldn't have thought to explain that.

Standing she walked away from him. Maybe it would be easier if she didn't look right at him. She went to look out the window, she'd always liked the view from her apartment. Oh more lightening; Pak jumped back from the window and instinctively looked for something to hide behind. She wound up plastered against the far wall just sort of staring at the shades.

Something snapped inside Pak and she went from numb to shouting.

"He killed her. I tried to stop him but god damned it I'm no fighter. I though he was going to kill me for a second. No he looked right at me he laughed at me and he killed her. He didn't even feed from her he just broke her neck and dropped her."Â?

Pak closed her eyes, trying not to see the young prostitute flop on the ground like a rag doll. She still couldn't look at Kem, she just stared at the shades and tried to make sense of this. She wasn't even sure if she was making sense to Kem or not, hell she wasn't sure she cared.
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem tried to follow along as Pak went from staring out the window mumbling to leaning against the wall shouting. Her words were disturbing, but he tried to sort everything out regardless. He knew about Pak's origins and history; she wasn't proud of it but it was still close to her heart, a secret she didn't share with just anyone.

That said, though, he didn't really know how to respond to what she was saying. Who was it she'd seen? Did she know him? Was it the apparent murder of the young prostitute that had rattled her so, or was there more to it?

Kem felt entirely inadequate for this situation. Still, as she seemed to wind down, he asked,
"Who was he?"
Pakpao 14 years ago
What an obvious question? Leave it to Kem to ask it. Pak laughed just for a second. She had skipped around in the story deliberately, parts of it were easier to deal with than other. Apparently though Kem needed all the details.

She walked back to the sofa and tucked herself in the corner half trying to hide, half feeling it was some protection.

"I still don't know his name. We didn't exactly exchange pleasantries. He knew my name though. I don't know if he knew it then and remembered it or if he learned it this time around. Either way he didn't leave me his card."Â?

Pak had taken to picking at the blanket; pinching off invisible bits of lint and fuzz. She was starting to think coming home had been a mistake. Maybe she should have run away. She had no idea how much this vampire knew about her.

"Kem he did the same damn thing he did before. He stalked me, he hunted me, the only difference was instead of killing me this time he killed someone else and I couldn't stop him."Â?

She didn't mention the fact that he'd also knocked her around pretty good in her attempts to save both the girl and herself. Pak had walked away with a couple of broken ribs and a black eye but she'd healed so she didn't really think about that. It didn't really matter.

"He tried to bite me again. I wouldn't I couldn't let him it would have been..."Â?

Very, -very- wrong. Kem would understand that. It was his attempt to bite her that had woken Pak up, and probably half the reason she'd escaped him. She had a feeling the other half of the reason was that he'd let her go.
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Pak's account was mind-boggling. He had a difficult time getting through it all but eventually he filtered out the important parts and pieced them together as best he could.

"Pak... stalking you?"

This had happened before? Oh. OH.

"You're saying this - vampire you saw while you were out there... he was, is rather, your creator?"

That was quite the revelation. It was something they both had in common, a complete lack of knowledge regarding the people who had chosen to gift them with this state. Well, maybe not so much in common anymore. Kem couldn't entirely say, but he wasn't sure he would want Pak's knowledge. His own memories consisted of darkness, dizziness, and a very sinister laugh; that was good enough for him without connecting a name or face to them.

He waited for Pak to confirm his guess, almost able to feel her anxiety.
Pakpao 14 years ago
She couldn’t make eye contact with Kem, some how having ‘met’ her creator she felt… dirty, contaminated some how. Pak could only look at the sofa cushions and blanket and nod at him.

“I thought he was dead. I wanted to believe that, I needed to.”

Pak had made the decision years, decades, ago that some one that reckless that vicious and in human couldn’t have lived much longer. After all, it was a miracle she’d lived this long, part miracle and part dumb luck.

The look she gave Kem was an odd combination of desperate, scared and angry.

“But he’s alive and he’s out there and he knows who I am.”

She was also convinced he knew where she lived, about the clan etc. etc. Pak could do paranoia with the best of them.

“We can have a family reunion. Won’t that be fun?”

It was nagging at Pak that’d let her go. Something about that was wrong it seemed to mean he wanted something from her. But what? She couldn’t work out what some one like that would want. He’d already take her life, her home and her family from her. He could do that again. Was that what he wanted?
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem was rattled by Pak's tale, but obviously not as badly as Pak herself. He was careful not to let it show on his face as he slid close to her on the couch and placed his hands firmly upon her slender, shaking shoulders.

"Pak."

He waited for her to look at him before continuing, doing his best to radiate calm and peace.

"It's all right. He's not going to hurt you."

Ignoring her stiffness, he pulled her close. Physical touch, he was sure, was uncomfortable right now, but necessary. He knew the feeling of being taken, fed from, used against your will. It was rape, of a sort. Perhaps not sexual, but still it violated and went against everything that was decent. pak knew the value of closeness though, and perhaps right now a reminder would help. "Do you want me to find him? I will."

He shook his head.
"But that won't change what he did, or what you are. You have to believe you're safe here."

The words were simple and soothing, but he meant them. This was where Pak would be safe, and if it would make her feel better for him to find her creator and... what? He didn't know. Threaten him? Warn him off? He'd do it if it would make her feel better. Pak wasn't just another Clanmate. She was his little sister and she was very frightened. Kem had a protective streak ten miles wide, and it was definitely awake right now.

For the moment he just held Pak, though, and continued to talk softly to her.
Pakpao 14 years ago
Pak nearly jumped out of her skin when he touched her once the initial jolt had passed she dug her heels in and tried to stay in her corner. Her heart was pounding, between the storm, thinking and talking about that night she was so wound up she might actually have a pulse.

She tried very hard to believe Kem. When he said it was all right and she was safe Pak almost believed him. She didn’t know how it could be true but she wanted to trust him on that point and relaxed a little tiny bit.

At the idea of Kem trying to find him she looked up at him with alarm.

“No. No no no no you can’t.” She shook her head almost violently this bastard was a cold hearted killer she couldn’t risk any one going after him. “He’s not a good man. He’s… he’s vicious.”

She’d made on attempt to pull away from Kem but a lot of fight had gone out of Pak. She felt empty and apprehensive, but at least she’d re-joined the world. She wasn’t sure she liked that idea yet thought.

“Besides you have the wolves to deal with.”

Scared, borderline terrified, or not the clan meant more to her than this encounter. She couldn’t let Kem or the clan down.
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Pak's vehemence assured him that she was, at least, not going to fade away on him.

"All right, I won't." It wasn't difficult to agree with her in that regard. The man's viciousness didn't concern him much, but having to find him, track him down, and then not knowing what to do with him afterward - well, that would be a daunting task. All the same he made a note to himself to spare a few hours to gathering information. he did want to know as much about this man as possible. He'd ask Pak in greater detail - later.

"We all have wolves to deal with," he said philosophically. "The current ones are just - very tangible right now."

He continued to hold onto her. "It's enough now that you're all right. Don't worry about him. I know it's easier said than done, but there is no way he can find you here. When you're feeling better we can figure out what else to do about it."

And in the meantime, he'd pick his brain as well as Aishe's for possible solutions. If this person was a danger to Pak, or if he wanted something further from her - Kem had to find out. One way or another.
Pakpao 14 years ago
It crossed Pak mind to wonder if Kem could be trusted not to find this vampire (she just couldn’t call him her creator, even though that’s what he was) the way he could trust her not to hack into the Stafford systems. Kem was pretty sensible though he probably wouldn’t try to find him, she hoped.

She recognized he was being philosophical but she couldn’t figure which wolves were the tangible ones. The werewolves or –him-. Besides she knew what she was going to do about him, she was going to stay in the tower and in this room for the rest of her un-natural life.

“Are we talking about the furry ones or the ones with big teeth?”

Of course, they both had big teeth. She didn’t care. Or maybe she did maybe she’d rather deal with the four footed ones right now even if they did hate her very existence. Maybe they wouldn’t maybe they had that part of the information wrong.
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem laughed softly. "Yes," he answered her question, intentionally vague.

Pak's snark was returning, a bit. That was a good sign. Like him, she usually tried to laugh off any emotional behavior. He certainly wasn't about to remind her of her recent discomfort, but he did need to help her get a jump start.

"So. Do you believe me now, when I tell you you haven't left Liefde in a week? Have you really spent all that time right here? Ignoring me?"

He kept it light; he didn't want her to know just how worried he'd been, so he affected an air of injury.

"It was so quiet I almost went out of my mind. Nothing odd happened. No one shot me with water guns, or stuck all my pens into the ceiling..."
Pakpao 14 years ago
She still didn’t have the heart to punch him or throw something at him for that remark, but she did wrinkle her nose at him. They had to work on his timing.

A week? Pak still couldn’t quite believe that but she didn’t disbelieve Kem either. It would have been simple enough to ask MARI but she didn’t. He wouldn’t lie to her like that. Kem might give her no end of hell but he wouldn’t take advantage of her little freak out.

“I didn’t know I could ignore people that well. I am sorry pêe chaai.”

Lord what else had she ignored? Nope she didn’t care, not really not right now. It upset Pak she’d worried Kem, and probably Aishe as well but right this very second she wasn’t ready to think about the ramifications of having disappeared for so long.

“I’ll make it up to you. Gerbils in your shoes and everything.”
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem shook his head at Pak again. "No, I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you. No more business trips alone, that's for sure."

He meant that one. From now on she could take someone along. A member of security, Aishe, even himself if he could get away. Just having safety in numbers might have helped.

Pak hadn't pulled away, leaving him free to situate her more conveniently. He tucked her head up against his neck and pulled his hair away. She'd been home for a week without feeding, and who knew how long it had been before then? He couldn't be exact on what her schedule was, but if he only needed sustenance every three weeks or so, and she was less than half his age... less than a quarter his age, even. Well, she must be hungry.

"I'll take gerbils in my shoes for a month," he promised. "Now take what you need." His tone was gentle but firm. "Unless you have a few delicious bags hanging around here." It was light sarcasm. Even to someone who had lived mostly on bagged blood for the last few decades, the stuff tasted stale.

"And don't give me any of that 'taking care of yourself' crap, because you haven't been and at least for the next couple of days, I intend to."
Pakpao 14 years ago
She’d traveled on business alone for years, she’d fight about that when she felt less as if she was walking around with a giant target on her back. Who knew where he’d disappeared to for all Pak knew he was here in Nachton. She shivered a bit just thinking about that possibility.

Truthfully, Pak was starving but hadn’t even thought of feeding. Now that she’d been forced back to reality, she still couldn’t think about hunting. What if she messed up again? What if she was found and some one else was killed?

“No I didn’t want them to go to waste while I was gone.”

Usually she did keep one maybe two about, just in case, but not much. Pak much preferred to hunt some home the plastic taste always got in the bagged stuff. It was a last resort God damn she couldn’t bite Kem, at least that’s what her brain was saying. Her brain and her fangs, however, were not communicating. All she could do was stare at the vein in his neck.

It took several long seconds but she was so hungry and he was making it so easy. Pak finally gave in, although slightly hesitant and defiantly careful not to hurt him she bit him. She’d never thought about what Kem’s blood would taste like but well he tasted like Kem. Given the way he’d growled at her she didn’t take just enough, less than she wanted but more than the bare minimum. It would have to do.

“Thank you.”