It Was Funnier When I Didn't Believe You. (invite only)

After the meeting with Kem and Aishe Pak was at a bit of a cross roads. She was happy they were back, a little worried about Aishe still (although undoubtedly Kem would take good care of her), and a little edgy about this thing Kem was going to ask her to do. That, however, wasn't uncommon; the feeling edgy before a big project.

So she worked on focusing, she'd managed to get some of her own work done. Nothing major but enough that she'd be able to clear her calendar a bit to make room for Kem. She'd even cleaned up some other lose ends but anything beyond that had been impossible on an empty stomach. She'd started toward the vending machines but quickly realized that wasn't what she wanted. Checking the clock on the wall Pak had decided she had time, it would be cutting it close but she had time.

Of course it also meant seducing her meal, which she resented. Seduction always reminded her of her beginnings, and she hated that. Pak liked to think she'd come quite along way from the brothels of Bangkok but apparently when push came to shove, that wasn't true.

She made it back to the towers in time to quickly shower and change. Without thinking about it she'd twisted her hair into a tight coil at the back of her neck, the way she'd always worn it on the farm, instead of its usual braid or pony tail. She did manage to find some dark glasses before leaving her rooms and making her way to Kem's office. Fortunately no one was about to comment on the shades. Making a show of 'stealthily' approaching the door she tapped out SOS in mores code (it was the first thing she could think of short of 'Shave and a Haircut), but invited herself in any way. Who else could he be meeting with at this hour that she couldn't just walk in?

"So, what requires my unique and incomparable skills?"Â?

Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem looked up from his pile of work as Pak let herself in. It was about ten minutes till three in the morning; for them, it was nearly the end of the official "work night." They both arrived between 8 and 9, depending on when the sun set, and they worked until 5 am or so. Kem couldn't remember the last time he actually checked his official hours. For Pak, he knew, it was a greyer area. She lived at Liefde and could work days if it was required of her. Kem, however, living away from the towers, was often faced with the fact that if by some chance he didn't get out by dawn, he was stuck at work through the day. It happened more often than he liked lately, but there wasn't much to be done about it.

It didn't surprise him to see her enter; he, Pak, and Aishe all shared a similar trait in that they all preferred to arrive to anything just a little bit early. He minimized the email he'd been working on and quickly pulled up two or three files.

"I don't know about unique and incomparable, but I can definitely use your help." It wasn't his best opener, but he was slightly preoccupied, and he wasn't sure how Pak would take any news about werewolves.

"I'm also pretty sure you're not going to be entirely thrilled by this. But, well, we'll see won't we?"

Kem tapped his fingertips on the surface of his desk thoughtfully, looking at Pak. "So... how much do you know about vampire lore? Myths and legends I guess? Not the stuff we watch when we're drunk and need a good laugh, but actual tales passed down through our own kind?"
Pakpao 14 years ago
“You’d damned well better start thinking I’m irreplaceable or I’m going back upstairs. I have a call I need to make to Paris in the next day or two.”

It never hurt to remind Kem that she was an extremely valuable asset to any endeavor, and cute besides.

As was her habit Pak absently mentally picked up a pen from Kem’s desk and started twirling it in mid air.

“I’m starting to think you’re about to fire me. I can defect you know. Lord knows Anantya could use a programmer.”

She was being serious, well she was ready to be serious but short of talking about full on warfare, a little humor was defiantly needed. Why was it Kem was a different person in his office these days? Pak made a vow to keep him out of it as often as possible.

His question was totally out of left field, she couldn’t help herself, Pak laughed. And not subtly or coyly, loudly and robustly.

“You’re kidding right?”

Kem was one of a very few people who knew her history. He had to know she’d not learned any kind of vampire history or even urban legends.
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem looked up in surprise to blink at Pak. "Fire you?" He furrowed his brow. "I can't fire you. You're not even in my department."

He did a double take, then, listening to his own words, and grimaced. "That did NOT come out the way I intended. You know what I meant, Pak... stop glaring at me like that!"

He was not at his best at work, she knew that. He was balancing a lot of different plates on sticks. Kem heaved a sigh at her and decided to move onto the next topic, which, at least, had her laughing instead of glaring.

"No, I'm not kidding," he said with some slight amusement. "I thought you might have gotten curious at some point and maybe asked MARI. I don't know. I didn't want to assume." He shrugged at her over his desk and continued once she'd caught her breath.

"So you've never heard anything about vampires and werewolves? Their rivalry, what they were to each other?"
Pakpao 14 years ago
To Pak’s credit, she did stop glaring but she also basically shut down on Kem. She quietly and neatly set the pen down, crossed her legs, crossed her arms over her chest and let her face go blank. She really did have –major- issues with ‘in office Kem’, here and after to be called the anti-Kem. If this is how he wanted to play it, fine. She could do that too.

“Frankly it never occurred to me. I know what does and doesn’t kill me and a little bit about how the clans evolved but beyond that it didn’t seem relevant.”

That and Pak harbored a fear of being left in the past. The very first vampire she’d ever met had been trapped forever in the past and she’d vowed not to let that happen to her.

She was still irritated with Kem but the werewolf quip made her crack a smile. She didn’t let all her guard down but she did let a small snort of a laugh slip out.

“Listen the zombies weren’t my fault. I am sorry about the car you know I wouldn’t have done it if it weren’t necessary, but seriously Kem, werewolves? You can do better and I’ve got other stuff to do.”
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem continued tapping his fingertips against the desktop. He had expected skepticism but he hadn't been prepared for outright disbelief. Fortunately, he was prepared for any eventuality.

Sensing Pak was irritated for some reason, he held out a hand to forestall her in case she decided to leave.

"Pak, please stay. And watch. This has nothing to do with the zombies, or my car, or anything in recent memory."

He called Pak's attention to the screen meant for MARI on the far wall of his office. At his request, the AI displayed a file from a directory no one but Kem, Dani, and Aishe had access to currently

"Just watch," he repeated solemnly. "If you think both MARI and I are incapable of deceiving you, then maybe in your belief you'll get a history lesson as well."

Kem knew Pak wouldn't be at all happy with anything involving Ellis Duban; the erstwhile Tacharan leader had come up enough times in conversation for him to know Pak had a healthy respect for the woman. Maybe though, Ellis' presence on the security tape file would convince Pak that he wasn't trying to pull one over on her.

Hoping she wouldn't walk out, Kem softly asked MARI to play the file.
Pakpao 14 years ago
He did say please, apparently Kem had received the message that she was cross with him. So Pak settled back to watch. Although what she was watching, especially as it involved Ellis puzzled Pak a great deal. Her first thought was it was some kind of practical joke, but it was one hell of a lot of effort to go through for a quick gag.

Pak watched the film once, scowling intently, asked MARI to play it again every once in a while asking her to freeze a frame. Pak started fidgeting as she watched tapping a stray paper clip on Kem's desk. Trusting Kem and Aishe together couldn't persuade the AI to lie to her Pak ran a slew of questions by MARI about where the data came from, had it been altered or manipulated, who in Evenhet had seen it, when it received here and when it was taken. MARI didn't hesitate with any of the answers. OK so between the two sources she now believed Kem. But just what was she believing?

"I'm guessing you're going to explain this to me. Have we got some kind of a grudge against these... ... werewolves that no one's bothered to tell me about?"Â?
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem waited patiently for Pak to verify the information through a method that would satisfy her, although he couldn't help wishing she'd taken him at his word for once. He could tell by the way her facial expressions changed that he had at least won the battle if not the war... not yet at any rate. He was sure that he'd win her over. Eventually.

At her remarks, Kem simply shrugged.
"I don't know where to start, so I'm not sure what to explain. So I guess, for starters, werewolves are real. I guess you've noticed that."

He pulled his legs up onto his chair as he spoke, managing to sit cross-legged. "As far as some kind of ancient grudge match, I don't think we do. But I'm not one hundred percent on that."

Pondering for a few moments he continued. "Even when I was younger, I heard stories about werewolves. Back then they were just stories. Kind of 'how it used to be' in nature. I didn't know anyone who'd actually ever seen a werewolf, or met one. Then again, I don't know that it was ever that important to ask about."

Kem glanced up at the screen on the wall, looking at the frozen images of the wolves surrounding Ellis and Simon.

"Basically, as I understand it, something happened a long time ago to set our kind and theirs against each other. It started out small and blossomed into war, and when all was said and done our side won. The weres were banished from cities and we never really heard much about them until now."

He shook his head.
"So I imagine they might have a grudge against us."

Pausing for a moment, Kem looked at Pak once more to see her reaction to this surprising news.
Pakpao 14 years ago
Her body language had changed, she was no longer sitting in so closed off a manner, in fact her initial reaction at Kem's behavior was quite forgotten. She'd gone back to twirling the pen in midair. It's just what Pak did when she was thinking and there were no humans about.

"So..."Â? She ventured cautiously, "What you're saying is there is a good chance there are some angry supernatural creatures after us. Or at least there is a possibility of it. You don't suppose they are just irked with Tach do you?"Â?

Even as she said it Pak didn't really believe that was the case. If this had happened so long ago that even to someone as old as Kem it was just rumor it couldn't be limited to just one clan.

"How much do we know about them? We all know that vampires and garlic is just a superstition werewolves and silver and the full moon? Do we have anything to work with here?"Â?

And do they know who we are? Do we know who they are? Are we going to try and make a truce or hope they don't notice us? Pak had a lot of questions, not the least of which was what Kem wanted her to do with this information, but she wanted to do this slowly so she didn't miss anything that might be important. Some how she got the feeling that screwing up whatever Kem wanted her to do could be a very bad thing.

"They just don't look happy do they?"Â?
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem splayed his hands out helplessly toward Pak. "I don't know what their objective is yet," he admitted. "I've got people working on it. I'm working on it. So far I don't think they've got a particular Clan targeted, but to be honest I don't know how much they know about us at all. At the time this ancient grudge match started, we didn't even have a clan, much less three."

He tugged gently at her pen, throwing it into a sort of crooked spiral instead of a single flat-plane rotation.

"From what we can glean, they do seem to have some kind of reaction to silver. I'm not sure what the nature of it is; short of hunting down some werewolves it's nothing we have on file. We might have had it at one point, a long time in he past, but even our overseas clanmembers are finding archived information that could be either fact or rumor."

He held out a file folder to Pak. "This is a lot of the digging Aishe has done in the past few months. She's discovered a lot of unusual wolf sightings. Things like wolves in public areas, just like these here at the mall, most of them bigger than your average wolf. Every single occurrence has been at night."

Kem let Pak peruse the folder, which contained news clippings, articles from local bloggers, anything Aishe had been able to scrape up regarding wolf sightings around Nachton. He had to admit, she was pretty good at digging in multiple uses of the word.

"I'm still working on a few leads myself. I have some names, a few faces. I need to get a bigger picture."

He was thinking out loud now, so he shook his head and looked back at Pak. "What I need you, Aishe, and MARI to do is take this stuff," he held up the second, smaller folder, "and organize it into a public-access databank. The rest of it needs to go where only a few limited people can access it. Once that's done, we'll be issuing a statement for all the Evenhet, letting them know as much as we can. Can you help us?"
Pakpao 14 years ago
Apparently, every one was in the same boat. It was remarkable to think that a completely new species could have been living under their noses for who knows how long. And very disturbing that no one seemed to know a thing about them. Pak flopped discouraged back into her chair. Absently she batted the pen slowly towards Kem.

Taking the folder, Pak started flipping through it. She wasn’t taking a lot of time analyzing what had been given to her but to get something of an idea of how much information they had. Names and faces? Good that was good. But she took the other folder before she said anything.

“The data bases are easy and the one will just be invisible.”

Pak was already mentally working on security protocols.

“Who do you want to access it right now? I’m assuming the list will grow but I need to know who to start with.”

She respected Aishe’s research skills, after all the girl had tracked down Kem, but maybe she could help more.

“I can probably get a search program too, maybe a bit more advanced a wider scope. Is there anything else I should know?”

Pak wasn’t quite sure Kem was ready to share everything about this with her. She wouldn’t push him for more but there was also no way she was leaving this room without offering.
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem nodded as Pak jumped entirely onto the bandwagon. Good; he would need her skills to help with this, and she was good at anything that dealt with the computer or with MARI. That, and he didn't like keeping secrets from her.

He smiled at her and nodded as she made her suggestions, giving her a list of the five or six people who needed to be able to access MARI's top secret information. Aside from himself, Dani, and Pak, everyone else including Aishe was from Security.

"That should do for now. I'll let you know exactly when we've got something to put live. We'll probably all knock heads over it a few times. I don't want people panicking, and I don't want anyone taking it on themselves to 'protect' their brothers and sisters."

He shrugged at Pak. "I don't really know so much," he said. "I'm still working on it, and there are a few things I want to check out first. But this man," he paused and stabbed a finger at the large one-eyed figure, "is named Iov Hammerthynn. He's involved with Stafford Enterprises. Just be aware of the names involved. I really don't know who's who yet, but obviously he's our starting point."

Other than that Kem figured what Pak didn't know couldn't eat her. If he kept her in the dark about as much as possible, she might stay safer. He would prefer it if he didn't have to risk anyone being 'found out' as they did some light intelligence-gathering, but he couldn't avoid it altogether.

"Thanks, Pak. Just - don't go sticking your nose into anything you shouldn't. No hacking anywhere."

She hadn't mentioned hacking into anything, and Kem belatedly hoped he hadn't just given her the idea to.
"I mean it," he threatened.
Pakpao 14 years ago
“I don’t do PR or press releases I’ll leave that to you Dani and security.”

Pak had helped herself to a pad of paper and had stopped playing with the pen and was actually writing with it. She didn’t point out that panic might spread if information wasn’t released, that sometimes well educated let people approach a situation more logically. Like she’d said she didn’t do PR, she wasn’t running the clan he was, she had opinions and that was all.

The one-eyed guy was a bit un-nerving to look at. But Pak wrote down his name, and Stafford Enterprises. She wanted more and no doubt, Kem knew that. But she was at least trying to hide it and given her subterfuge she could hide it damned well. The only catch was Kem knew her and even if she wasn’t giving it away, he knew how her mind worked.

There was no way in hell she was going to promise no hacking. She was damned good, she didn’t leave footprints and besides she’d be busy with this and some public domain stuff for a while. Even without wandering in to places she probably shouldn’t there would be a lot she could learn.

“I’ll be good!”

She protested sounding genuinely injured.

“I get the idea you’re trying to keep us all out of trouble but once I’m done with all of this you let me know. MARI and I work better with more information than with less.”

It might even keep her out of trouble, but that was hardly a selling point.
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
"I know you don't," Kem assured Pak regarding the PR topic. "It's just that you'll probably be the one to take what we've got and make it available to everyone."

At Pak's outburst regarding the hacking, he narrowed his eyes at her.
"Pak, I mean it. Please. Don't go sticking your nose where it shouldn't be. We don't know how sophisticated their equipment might be. We have a security team whose job is to handle things like that, so unless you think they're incompetent..." he left it off at that. Pak was very good, he wasn't denying that, but Pak was no fighter. If she angered the wrong person, or persons, she could find herself in a lot of trouble very quickly.

"Of course I'm trying to keep you out of trouble! I'm hoping we can manage to keep things pretty straightforward, but I don't know if these guys," he jerked his thumb at the screen next to them, "are willing to let bygones be bygones."

He sighed and began drumming his fingers on the desktop again. "You'll get as much information as I can get to you, as I get it," he finally said with a shrug. "Everyone will. I don't want to hide facts from them, but I also don't want anyone going off half-cocked. Until I can verify our information, all they need to know is the basics. Anything else will end up looking like anti-werewolf propaganda."

A little voice in his head told him that might not be a bad thing, but he quelled it. He was certainly not going to start viewing it that way, not even internally.
Pakpao 14 years ago
“That’s me your virtual town crier. All the werewolf news that’s fit to print… or point and click on, how ever you’d like.”

Pak quipped. As she was getting used to this werewolf idea she was relaxing, just a bit. Not too much, just a bit. She wished she felt better about them relaxing as they got used to the vampire idea.

Now that was a low blow. Pak knew security was very good, especially the IT guys. She just knew she was better. However, she also didn’t want to cause trouble for the clan or Kem so she would be good, at least until she was told to go crazy.

“I told you I’ll be good.”

She just wrinkled her nose knowing that was as good as she was going to get. Nothing wrong with that he had more to think about than her curiosity after all.

“Is there anything else you need on this, have you got a time line in mind?”

Pak could push everything off to the side and get this done in a couple of days a week tops or work on it as time permitted and get it done in some where between a week and three. She just needed to know how soon Kem wanted the information released to the clan.
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Kem managed to narrow his eyes at Pak's assertions that she'd be good, and he did so with the best intention of trying to look threatening. Hopefully his little guilt trip had worked, but Pak had a curious streak about fifty miles wide.

"Good. I'm trusting you to stay that way." Well, another nail in that coffin couldn't possibly hurt.

He nodded at her.
"I'd like to have something general within the next two weeks or so. If you can get it all organized by then, I'll make sure we've got an actual statement on file for you by next Friday."

And then, he imagined, he'd be 'on call' as it were, as the questions came flooding in. During that time, he'd have to make some inquiries and see what else he could discover about Aidan Xephier and Iov Hammerthynn, not to mention Stafford Industries.
Pakpao 14 years ago
And Pak decided to let any further judgments on her character slide by un-noticed and just nodded at the time line. That wasn’t too bad it gave her more than enough time to do the job properly, not botched or rushed.

Oh dear. Pak got an odd sinking feeling as another thought crossed her mind. That whole video, that had been… Why was it she felt relatively secure possibly dealing with werewolves but edgy as all hell having to deal with the other clans? That made no sense at all.

“Ummmm Kem. How much do we plan on working with Tàcharan and Anantya on this one?”

They couldn’t possibly cut off the other two clans. Could they? After all the wolves had been chasing Ellis and if this all started as far back in the past as Kem seemed to think then Anantya would be a logical source for information.

Pak really –really- wanted a clove right now but knew Kem wouldn’t let her get way with that. Not in his office or even in the building. Damned rules.
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Pak's next question made him wince inwardly. Trust Pak to draw attention to what he deemed to be his own insufficiency. "I've already had a little chat with Ellis. And Simon," he said. "They were... well, not exactly open. They did offer a couple of names though. As for the Anantya, I'm still waiting to hear."

He sighed and shrugged at Pak.
"They all expect Alfarinn," he said to her, a note of helpless frustration in his voice. "I'm not him. Half of them barely know me, and the ones who do don't exactly see me as a force to be reckoned with." He gave her a rueful little smile. "Evenhet would be better off with Chris here, or... well, probably anyone but me."

Meh, now he just sounded whiny. He zipped his lips on that topic; he was going to do his best anyway.

"At any rate, the lines are open. We're all the same kind even if our views don't agree. If push comes to shove we'll step in to help our the others, but until then we're neutral. We'll watch out for ourselves and gather information so if it does come down to it, we'll know everything we need to know."

In spite of his previous insecurities his voice was firm. If Kem was to watch over Evenhet in Alfarinn's absence, he was damn well going to make sure there was still an Evenhet to come back to!
Pakpao 14 years ago
Well Kem already had more guts than she did. She never would have met with Ellis, well not alone, not without good reason. OK she’d do it but she would probably be nervous the whole time. Just on general principal she decided to make a third data base after the first two, one that could be easily exported to what every OS the other two clans used.

Pak frowned at Kem, tossed her pen at his head, and barked a few words at him in her native language.

“No you’re not Alfarinn, and Evenhet could do a damned sight worse than having you in charge. You’re our secret weapon. Let them underestimate you I wouldn’t want any one else in charge.”

Alfarinn was Alfarinn and Kem was Kem and in Alfarinn’s absence there was no one Pak would rather see the clan trusted too. So long as he didn’t let the anti-Kem take over, she didn’t trust him too terribly much.

“I suppose that makes sense. Lord only knows what they,” she pointed at the wolves on the screen before asking MARI to shut it off, “think about all of this. It probably doesn’t make sense to over plan things.”
Kem`Raaisu 14 years ago
Catching the projectile pen, Kem deftly flipped it around and slowly maneuvered it in front of Pak's nose. He tapped her gently with it, smiling at her. "Thanks, Pak."

He wasn't stupid enough to believe her for a moment, because he knew she had a pretty strong bias. He appreciated what she was trying to do for him though. It was good to have friends who cared enough to berate you on your own behalf.

He shook his head at her once she switched the wall-screen off.
"I wish I knew what they thought," he said. "It would sure make life a lot easier. What we need is a contact, someone on the inside. They're in hiding, like us. Walking around, doing normal things and going about their days. Holding down jobs. We've probably met them, chatted with them, dated them."

Kem narrowed his eyes thoughtfully. "We need to build a relationship with them before they know who we are. Start learning what they know."

And he knew, just then, how such a thing might be accomplished, at least on his end. He flashed Pak a big grin.

"So that's it really. We just need to work on getting those files in order, and properly locked down. I'll have more information to you in just a few days."
Pakpao 14 years ago
Pak wrinkled her nose when the pen tapped her with it before grabbing it and absently doodling on her pad. Whether he believed what she said or not at least he seemed more Kem like so she wouldn’t push.

It was funny to think of these wolves as being the same as they were, but he was right. The biggest part of their day was probably making sure they seemed like everyone else. She couldn’t help it though she laughed at the idea of dating them. She didn’t dismiss the idea that they may have met one or two already but that seemed extreme.

“Just my luck. I’ve managed what one date in the past decade or two and it would have been with a werewolf. I may be out of circulation but even I’m not that obtuse.”

She didn’t disagree with the need for reconnaissance and a relationship though. If they made friends, maybe these wolves wouldn’t go chasing her and the rest of the clan all over down town. Which would be good as Pak doubted she’d be as able to hold her own.

“Good luck finding us a spy.”

Rolling her eyes at his ‘get back to work’ hint Pak gathered up the pad and pen she’d been using, and had now laid claim to and started to the door.

“Yes your majesty.” She mockingly gave him a very formal bow. “I’ll get things started and give you and update in three days tops. You know where to find me if you need it faster.”