It just keeps getting better. (private)

Follows My doppelganger did it

Kyle gingerly patted down his pockets, avoiding his two broken fingers, while looking for his pack of cigarettes as he turned the corner, away from Ellis and the police station. Finding nothing but his flask, which he pulled out and finished the last bit of scotch in it. Tucking the flask back into his breast pocket, he spotted a magazine stand across the street at the four-way section and jaywalked across the street.

There were fifty different types of magazines hanging on the sides of the wooden shed and stacked in front.

‘Pack of non-filtered.’ Kyle nodded up behind the newspaper guy who gave him a look. ‘I don’t care, surprise me.’ The man tossed a red and white pack onto one of the stacks, but did not lift his hand until Kyle paid. With a glare, he dug into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet, laying out six dollar bills. He didn’t know what was more expensive, his drinking habit or his new smoking addiction. The merchant lifted his hand and tossed back Kyle’s change with a matchbook.

‘You’re a peach,’ Kyle muttered as he undid the cellophane cover and ripped open the pack. While tapping a stick out, Kyle read over the headlines of tomorrow’s paper that was still stacked next to the paper shack. The headlines told of stock market woes and pirates, all with bold, capital letters. He put the cigarette in his mouth and lit it with a match.

He inhaled deeply on the cigarette and immediately felt his lungs scream in torture. He was not a smoker, an alcoholic, yes, but smoking was never his thing. However, with recent events being what they were, a cigarette did wonders for the nerves. Kyle let the cigarette hang in his mouth as he dropped the match on the sidewalk. He turned back to the sidewalk to catch a cab uptown to his apartment when he nearly ran into another man.

The man was wearing a tan one button jacket with a brown tie and matching tan pants. His button up was wrinkled, but clean. Kyle knew immediately who he was, although the face was unfamiliar.

‘Let me guess. Cheap suit, brown tie…Jesus, man. What can I do for you Detective….?’ The man pulled out his wallet and showed Kyle his gold shield. ‘Detective Graham, first grade. That’s pretty.’

‘Your presence is requested back at the precinct, Mr. Evans.’

‘Listen, she dropped the charges, and like I said, it was a misunderstanding.’

A voice from the right of him interrupted. ‘This isn’t about that, Mr. Evans. This is about the recent murder at Babylon.’

Kyle glared at the two men and slowly inhaled on his cigarette as he hung on his lips. He put his hands in his pocket which made the two men stiffen noticeably.

‘Jesus, guys.’ He slowly took his hands out of his pockets and blew the smoke into Detective Graham’s face. ‘I’ve had a long day. I just want to go home and sleep. How about you drop by my office tomorrow?’ Neither men spoke. ‘Listen, if I’m not under arrest, I’m going home.’

He managed to keep the cigarette in his mouth as the detectives slammed him face first against their unmarked police car. They snapped handcuffs on him, biting the skin of his wrists and opened the car door.

‘Wait!’ Both men stopped. Kyle inhaled again on his cigarette and then shot it out with a puff of air. ‘Continue.’

The detectives pushed him into the back of their police car and drove him back to the police station.

Captain James Hughes 15 years ago
Captain Hughes stood on the opposite side of the one way glass, watching Kyle Evans with a bored expression. With a slow blink he sighed, waiting for the D.A. to say something. Five minutes passed and D.A. Yuukaku was still silent. Captain Hughes checked his watch and then pulled the cuff of his blue striped shirt down.

'Miss Yuukaku?' Hughes said in a low voice, but it did not interrupt the smoldering glare she was giving Evans through the glass. Finally Hughes switched his weight to his other foot and raised his voice.

'Ma'am!'

Yuu snapped an annoyed look at him, but he didn't flinch. He had already heard the rumors about Yuu and Evans. He knew why the reporter was really here, but he'd humor her and do his job. Walking over to the door of the viewing room, he opened it and stepped just passed the doorway. He signaled to the two detectives that had picked Evans up and hooked a thumb to the door of the interrogation room. They replied with a silent nod and walked into the room with Evans.

Hughes stepped back inside the viewing room, but this time leaned up against the steel table pushed up against the wall. Crossing his arms, he stood behind Yuu who tilted her head to the side and listened to the detectives interrogate Evans.
Kyle Evans 15 years ago
Kyle could not stop twisting his hands. They left the handcuffs on, which were unnecessary, but they didn’t seem too concerned with his comfort. On top of his wrists hurting, he had to urinate something awful – again another request that went in one fat cop’s ear and out the other. At least the pain kept him from acknowledging his growing bladder.

He had refused to look at the one way mirror in front of him, more out of annoyance than fear. It was him on the right side, not his doppelganger. His evil twin never seemed to be around when it was time to pay the piper, apparently. Speaking of which, the door to the interrogation room they had thrown him in opened quietly. Two detectives, the same two that had brought him there, entered the room. The taller of the two, the one that had cuffed him, took up his position up against the mirror while the other sat wordlessly down after throwing a file on the table.

This was the same ole routine – the bad cop and the worse cop. It wasn’t quite as insulting as the good cop/bad cop shtick, but it was annoying just the same.

‘I want a lawyer.’

This wasn’t Law & Order. He wasn’t going to listen to what they had to say, give up some information, THEN ask for a lawyer. Kyle was straight up demanding counsel before anyone got any funny ideas. This was the part where they told him he wasn’t under arrest; they just wanted to ask some questions.

‘You’re not under arrest, Mr. Evans,’ the taller one said in a low voice. ‘We just want to ask you a few questions about where you were that day.’

Almost verbatim. Awesome sauce.

Shrugging, Kyle rolled his eyes but refused to look up at the taller detective. The one seated in front of him leaned in to get Kyle’s attention.

‘Sorry about the inconvenience, Mr. Evans. I’m Detective Taylor and this is Detective Graham.’

'Oh so you're going with good cop, bad cop after all?' Kyle twisted his hands a bit more and managed to pinch one of his broken fingers in between the chair and his hip. Wincing in pain, he glared at Detective Taylor. 'No lawyer, no talkie.'

‘You spoke to the district attorney, Miss Yuukaku, earlier regarding that evening, correct?’

Kyle finally looked up at the one way mirror and felt himself blush. His reflection looked back at him and winked.

‘It looks like to us, and this is just an educated guess, that you were the last person to see Miss Rockerfeller alive. Could you tell us what you talked about?’

‘Not without a lawyer, no.’

The rest was a blur.
Yuu 15 years ago
‘Listen, you don’t think Evans did it, do you?’

Captain Hughes was talking to her, but she continued to stare through the one way glass at Evans, hoping to burn a hole in his face with her glare. She did not reply.

‘Because it would be physically impossible for Evans to tear that woman apart. Two, maybe three men could have done it.’

‘He knows something.’ Yuu replied in a monotone voice. That dipshit couldn’t have done it, Yuu knew this, but he probably knows someone who could have. ‘If he does and he’s not telling us, that is at the very least obstruction. If he knows and was there…an accomplice.’

Captain Hughes sighed and reached for the intercom switch, flipping the sound off. Yuu finally looked at the man.

Hughes was just under six feet tall, your average Caucasian male with soft blue eyes and short blond hair. He was a good man; his men respected him and had a respectable career at Major Crimes, but that still didn’t hide the fact that he didn’t know what was going on. He was blissfully unaware to what Nachton really was – no clue about the vampires, much less the werewolves. Yuu wished for the innocence of ignorance again, to be able to look at a murder and not suspect anything but a human.

‘Listen, I’ve been doing this job for a long time. You don’t suffer the indignities of the job without learning certain lessons.’

Yuu turned her head and looked up at the Captain. He was trying to tell her to not make it personal. Perfect, news of her and Evans had obviously spread throughout the department and this interview was looking less and less credible. Yuu reached out and flipped the switch back on and turned back to look out the glass.

‘You spoke to the district attorney, Miss Yuukaku, earlier regarding that evening, correct?’

Turning, Yuu moved to the door and exited. She walked down the hall to the detective bull pen and looked around. Spotting what she needed, she walked to a desk, picked it up, and then walked back toward the investigation room. As she passed the door, Yuu leaned in and spoke to the Captain.

‘I got a lesson for you, Captain.’

Yuu walked to the interrogation door and pushed it open, lettingit hit the wall.

Kyle looked up at her, his face almost relieved, but the blush was clear on his face. ‘Yuu…’

Clenching the item in her hand, she walked right up to Evans and hit him across the face with a hardcover copy of Webster’s dictionary, knocking him out of his chair and onto the ground. Detective Taylor stood up quickly, but neither responded to Yuu’s attack on their suspect. With purpose, she knelt down to the ground and pulled a dazed Evans by his tie.

‘An accessory is a person who assists in the commission of a crime, but who does not actually participate in the commission of the crime as a joint principal. That means you, Mr. Evans. So either you tell us what we fucking what to know or I will throw your ass in jail for jaywalking until I can convict you of anything that requires hard time with a large, black roomie.’ Yuu let go of his tie and let his head drop back onto the ground.

Now with absolutely nothing to lose, she poked a finger in Evan's face. ‘Now talk.’
Captain James Hughes 15 years ago
Captain Hughes rushed into the interrogation room, but not until after he gaped at what would be simple battery against Kyle Evans, the perpetrator being his District Attorney. Hughes rushed in and pushed past the two detectives, one of which was sliding the hard cover book across the only table in the room, away from Yuu, the other was just standing with his jaw dropping in shock. He immediately recalled the definition of ‘simple battery’.

Battery requires (1) a volitional act that (2) results in a harmful or offensive contact with another person and (3) is committed with the intent to cause a harmful or offensive contact or with a reckless disregard as to whether such contact will result.

Kneeling down next to Evans, Hughes pulled out his own cuff key and undid Evan’s shackles. He then turned the man on his back slowly and snapped his fingers in front of Evans very dazed face.

‘Oh he’s fine,’ Yuu said with a trace of fear in her voice.

‘No, he’s not.’ Evans was not responding. It wasn’t as if Yuu had hit him that hard, but the fall may have given him a concussion when he hit the ground. ‘Graham.’ Hughes had to think of something fast, but when the detective did not answer, Hughes looked over his shoulder and hissed his name again.

‘GRAHAM.’ The detective looked away from Yuu and at his Captain. ‘Get a doctor in here. Mr. Evans fell back in his chair and hit his head. He may have a concussion.’ Graham did not need to be told twice.

Hughes turned to Yuu and stood slowly.
‘I don’t know what the fuck is going on with you, but what you did was, at the very least, simple battery, and at worst aggravated assault.’

‘That’s not aggravated…’

‘The point is you fucking hit him with a book and knocked him out cold. If, and this is a strong if, he doesn’t sue the department, your job is on the line or is that what you’re angling for here?’

Hughes watched Yuu blanch, but she did not answer.

‘Jesus.’ Hughes took a deep breath just as one of the detectives returned with an EMT. The room began to fill up with medical personnel and rubber neckers, but when one of the EMT’s asked what happened, Hughes, Detectives Taylor and Graham all answered together.

‘He fell.’

The EMT looked at each of them and shrugged. Evans was taken out on a gurney with one of the EMT’s while the one that had asked a question stayed behind.

‘He’s got a concussion probably, but he’s pretty strung out. I could smell the alcohol on him. We’ll take him in for some tests just to be safe, but he’ll more than likely be fine.’ The EMT tucked his pen back into his shirt pocket and stepped out of the room with his gear.

Hughes looked back at Yuu.
‘Taylor…Graham…stay with Evans while I clean up this mess.’ The men filed out quietly leaving Hughes with a visibly shaken Yuu.

‘Stay away from Evans. Let us do our job and you do yours…whatever that is now.’ He tried to accentuate the last bit of his statement with a trace of bitterness, but it came out sounding more sad than anything. With a deep sigh, Hughes picked up the Webster dictionary and left Yuu alone in the interrogation room.

((OOC Everyone out))

Continues in Flip side