Aishe the Love Doctor (invite only)

It was bedtime for most humans. Aishe realized this, and was still new enough to the vampire world that she naturally wondered about any of their neighbors' late-night comings and goings. Kem was at Meridian, and she wasn't due in for her own shift for several hours. She'd taken the opportunity to run a few errands; they still didn't have a car but it was a lovely night and the store wasn't too far off. She'd simply carried her groceries home, stopping along the way to grab a bite herself.

As she unlocked the door to the house and made her way in she noticed Reign walking Sirius along the road. She couldn't wave, her hands full of groceries, but she figured Reign would understand. When she went back out a little while later to water the bushes, Reign was heading back the opposite direction and she gave the belated wave then, which went unnoticed.

Half an hour later, she heard Zoe scratching at the front door. Kem's cat still refused to have anything to do with her, but apparently there was nothing wrong with her opposable thumbs, and therefore Aishe was considered a tolerable doorwoman. As Zoe zipped by, punctuating her passage with a hiss for no reason Aishe could determine, the young vampire noted, once more, Reign and Sirius passing back the other way.

Closing the door behind her, Aishe stood in the dim light of the front walkway, arms crossed, pondering this occurrence. Reign went to the end of the road, turned, and came back yet again. Sirius looked - well, confused.

As Reign passed the end of their driveway once more, Aishe walked quietly out and cleared her throat softly.

"Howdy neighbor," she said. "Looking for cracks in the pavement?"

Reign 15 years ago
If she sat too long she started thinking. She’d tried practicing but you knew you were in trouble when your coach told you to knock it the hell off. Although it was the only thing that really let Reign turn her mind off fully. She could focus on the game and nothing else mattered, nothing else. She’d played through hunger, sleep and a few other things. But you couldn’t stay hidden forever. Still she couldn’t sleep or read so obviously the dog needed a walk.

OK so it wasn’t a walk it was pacing. It was just very long fancy pacing with a dog to justify why she was doing it. Poor Sirius, however, was not only confused he was starting to drag.

When she settled on being depressed, her pace was very slow, almost mournful. Some times, it was almost normal, generally when she couldn’t figure out what to think. And when she fell into being pissed off, which she still was, it was almost a run she was walking so fast.

Being so focused on her own thoughts she hadn’t really noticed the neighborhood. Which was stupid, really, really, -really- stupid. Apparently, this quiet unassuming neighborhood was extremely dangerous. It was crawling with burglars, and werewolves and… god damned son of a bitch! Sneaky Egyptian neighbors who came out of –no where-.

Reign jumped about a foot in the air at Aishe’s greeting. She hadn’t even seen her. Sirius had, he’d actually stopped at the other woman’s feet wagging his tail more or less begging for affection; some one, any one, to pay attention to him other than the crazy bitch holding the leash apparently. Reign felt slightly betrayed. Dumb mutt.

Recovering, Reign grinned with great irony, although the smile didn’t reach her eyes.

“Yeah I got a part time gig with the city testing the sidewalk. Cushy job really. I might be able to get you in if you need something else to do.”

How long had she been walking for? Even though she had a perfectly good watch, Reign didn’t generally wear a timepiece, for all she knew it was 3am and she’d started pacing… er walking the dog… she couldn’t remember. Hell what time was it? How much of this mess had Aishe seen? Stupid night shifts.
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe crouched to pet Sirius, happy to at least see one animal tonight who wouldn't run from her. Well... that wasn't entirely fair, was it? She had a family of raccoons out back who would love to play later. At any rate, Sirius looked grateful for her attention and that made the animal-lover in her all warm and fuzzy.

When Reign spoke, Aishe cocked her head slightly. Her empathy worked at its best when she was in contact with the speaker but, as she'd been told it would, it was beginning to fire off when she was in close proximity, not necessarily touching.

As was often the case with people, Aishe discovered Reign's emotions did not match her tone of voice. Her words were cheerful, humorous. The colors and shapes Aishe saw, though, belied the tone. Darkened shades of red, green, and blue flew from Reign's lips, all covered with a brownish overlay. Aishe recognized them; indeed, she was familiar with the blue and the green particularly. When Kem's mood turned those were the two colors he exhibited the most. Self-doubt, fear of expression, fear of the future. Aishe had come to know them very well although she saw them less and less from her lover. The red meant anger; that one she recognized easily too.

All in all, something had upset Reign. Aishe waffled over the subject for a few seconds while grinning at her neighbor's joke. She still hadn't figured out how exactly to broach the topic, or even if she should, when she noticed someone she cared about who was obviously upset and equally obviously trying to hdie it. Why else would Reign feign cheer?

The desire to help won out though, and as she scratched behind Sirius' ears she shook her head at Reign and said, "No, really. What's bothering you?"

Her voice was gentle. She hadn't seen their neighbor since that ight at the bowling alley, and Aishe had wondered about it, frankly. Kem had been alarmed at Bastian's words and Aishe, thinking of Reign, wondered how the woman had taken that particular story. She'd expected things to be awkward when next they met, but Bastian's absence tonight made it less so.
Reign 15 years ago
What was bothering her? What was bothering her?!

Reign was both furious she’d been asked and desperate to talk to some one and a little worried Aishe had picked up on it so easily. She had –no one- left here. She could only assume Bastian had run off to bond with his pack or something and good for him. She, however, was alone in this mess.

Smiling weakly she fought to keep her voice neutral rather than letting the misplaced anger taint it.

“Am I that obvious?”

It was very disconcerting to have some one notice. One did not reach Reign’s level of competition with out keeping very tight control over one’s emotions and certainly keeping them from being put on display was out of the question.

She meant to let Aishe answer, really she did. But she hadn’t told any one. She hadn’t had the guts to call home and tell them. Hans was a good friend and coach but he wasn’t exactly some one you vented too. Only Janie had an idea, and that’s because she’d called with some one interested in renting the house the morning after Bastian left her. God damned cruel bitch. Reign had only told her to take the house off the market and ignored any other questions.

She had to talk to some one or she’d go insane.

“Bas and I… sort of.. … yeah.”

A wave of absolute sadness hit her. She couldn’t even say it. That was pathetic. How big a wuss was she? Reign ran a hand through her hair and looked at the ground, Aishe was smart and a woman she’d figure it out.

While she liked Aishe a lot they didn’t know each other that well and it was a lot of emotional baggage to dump on any one. Reign was absolutely fine letting Aishe set the pace here. If she wanted to do a lip service ‘I’m sorry… oh look at the time’ and dash off that was acceptable.
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe frowned at Reign's apparent discomfort, sorry to have pointed it out quite so bluntly. She stood though with one final scratch for Sirius, and shrugged her shoulders as philosophically as she could.

"Well for one, you've been walking up and down our street for the past hour and Sirius doesn't appear to need the excersize that much," she said with a hint of irony, "and for another, I do like to consider myself an accurate enough judge of character that I can at least tell when someone I like has something on their mind."

Reign's answer, however, wasn't exactly what she expected. Her face fell along with Reign's. "Oh no. I'm really sorry. You mean... for good? It's not just - a squabble?"

It was said with some hope. Reign had really seemed to care about Bastian, and they'd seemed happy together. Aishe glanced up and down the road. There was no one outside, not at this time of night, but it wasn't the ideal location to go into this sort of thing.

"Do you want to come in?" Aishe nodded her head toward the house. "Kem's at work."

If Reign did want to talk about what had happened, perhaps someplace neutral, like their house where she'd never been, would work best for her. As they made their way up the walkway, Aishe took Reign's movement as tacit agreement. Looking back over her shoulder she said with worry, "This didn't have anything to do with... well, the night at the bowling alley, did it?"

She would feel bad indeed if what had happened with Kem and Bastian had caused this somehow. Opening the front door, Aishe motioned Reign and Sirius inside.

((ooc: Permission to move Reign))
Reign 15 years ago
“That long huh?”

She went to look for the sun to see if she could judge, or pretend to judge, the time from the shadows. Noticed it was still dark and lapsed into a numb silence.

Nodding awkwardly to the first and shaking her head sadly at the second, Reign confirmed it. That was as close to putting it into words as she’d gotten.

She started to protest that she couldn’t come in, she had the mutt with her and that she didn’t really want to bother Aishe with her mess. God damned it, yes she –did- want to bother some one with this. And Aishe wasn’t stupid if having Sirius about bothered her, she would have said something. Fuck this she was going to talk to some one.

Entering the house, Sirius immediately took to sniffing about far too pleased to have new smells to deal with. He gave one or two half tugs on his leash but had been through far too many obedience classes to do more than hint he wanted to check things out.

“Ummm any small children or animals he shouldn’t chomp on around here?”

Nope he hadn’t eaten the raccoon. A wild thought dawned on Reign, the Doc had. He must have. Wow… yeah… ew. Not bringing that up tonight. Well he did say sometimes it was hard to control the wolf side. SO not bring that up as a matter of fact, she was going to try and forget that.

Reign was half directed to the living room and flopped, on the floor and sprawled in a very un-lady like manner. Sirius took the hint and lay next to her his chin on one leg. The relaxed position wouldn’t last long she was sure.

Again nodding she answered.

“Yeah. That’s kind of what started it. He made some wild assumptions about the Doc wigged out. We went back to my place…”

With out a pause she switched from neutral relay of information to hostile. Part of Reign still very much wanted to fight with Bastian but he wasn’t about, so Aishe was going to get to listen to it.

“God damned it. I did NOT want to fight that night. Do you know how hard I tried not to fight? I tried to listed. But no he wanted the fight. He wanted me to … gah! And then he walked out. The son of a bitch just walked out!”
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe closed the door behind Reign. It was obvious from the entryway where their living room was, and Reign made her way there. When she asked about small things, Aishe smiled and shook her head.

"The cat's around somewhere but she can look out for herself, and if there are any small children nearby, Kem is hiding things."

As Reign talked, Aishe didn't hide her facial expressions, which went from regret to surprise, and covered a fairly wide range in between. There was a small measure, maybe, of relief as well. She hadn't expected Reign to say Aidan Xephier had been the problem. She'd been so focused on Bastian's conversation with Kem and how that had wound up; she'd forgotten Aidan had been the cause of it to begin with.

"I'm sorry," she said again. "I know that probably doesn't help much. It's frustrating to have something to say, and not get a chance to say it."

Aishe had been there before. She could have murdered Kem for running out on her at first, but her own resolve had kept her going.

"Is it... I mean, obviously you're not happy about it, but do you think it could change? Do you want it to?"

She wasn't really sure how to dicuss a break up with a friend. Aishe hadn't had that many of them in school and college, and she couldn't recall any of them ever going through this sort of thing.
Reign 15 years ago
Reign managed a grin at Aishe’s comment about small children. But it was tinged with jealousy. No she wasn’t bitter and didn’t want every one to be miserable like she was but damned it why couldn’t she –have- a stable relationship. Why did she always have to fuck up so bad?

“I didn’t expect him to walk out. He pulled that stunt once before and I thought we were past it. Yes I did shut him down pretty hard but…”

He was making mountains out of molehills, that’s what he was doing. What the fuck did he think she was having an affair with the Doc? Idiot.

Sighing, yes –again- she let her head fall back on the sofa behind her.

“I don’t think he understands why that made me … -makes- me so damned mad. OK yes get out cool off… I wouldn’t have let him back in that night any way. But he was gone for –days- Aishe. DAYS. Didn’t even call or send a fucking email.”

Looking back up at her host she tried to smile, failed, and gave up. Instead she shoved her glasses on top of her head and rubbed the bridge of her nose. Yay! That was the first sign of a migraine. Fun time.

“Probably… maybe… no. No it couldn’t. Well it could but it would be wrong. We both realized that. Said as much the last time I saw him. Doesn’t make it hurt any less and why the hell was what I want out life so bad any way?”
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe listened quietly, not sure if Reign expected her to comment, or if she just wanted a warm body to rant at for a little while, to get it all out of her system. She understood Reign's frustration though, at least in part, and she said so when Reign looked at her and gave her the opportunity.

"Believe it or not, I know how you feel. At least a little. I know it might seem odd now, but Kem walked out on me once, a few years ago."

She would go into detail more if Reign wanted, but right now she kept the focus on Reign and her problems, particularly as she wasn't sure she saw this winding up the same way for Reign as it had for Aishe.

Reign confirmed that with her next statement, and Aishe shook her head sadly.

"It takes a lot of work to stay together, especially when your goals are different." Oh yes, she and Kem had gone through that too. With a little help from some friends they were on the same page now, but that had taken a little bit of time to accomplish.

"What was it about what you want out of life that was so wrong?" She furrowed her brow and looked at Reign curiously. Aishe considered Reign a pretty sensible person, from what she knew, and she was uncertain how her goals could be so very skewed as to cause Bastian distress.
Reign 15 years ago
“Kem?!”

OK Reign was shocked. He seemed like such a nice stable guy. Not at all like the stubborn hot head Bastian could be. It was very hard to believe.

“Is this some sort of male test? Disease? Code? I mean seriously was I supposed to respond differently? What did you do?”

It all made Reign very tired. –Very- tired.

Work? Lord, if only Vince… er Bastian knew how much work she’d put into things. Neither of them seemed to understand or appreciate what she contributed.

“Apparently I don’t want a house with a white picket fence and two point four kids and a dog in the yard and this is a major draw back for some men.”

She snorted, disgusted.

“I have a house and a fence and a god damned dog!”

OK she was being a little unreasonable and over generalizing but damned it she was pissed off she got to make broad sweeping statements!
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe grinned at Reign. "It might be," she said. "I guess guys get squidgy about relationship... stuff. We all know women are the tough ones anyway."

What did she do? "Well, I packed up, sold some things, and followed him to Nachton, determined not to let him have his way. The situations were different though." She grew solemn; she didn't want to give Reign false hope. "Kem thought he couldn't give me what I wanted. He was ridiculously insecure about himself, and decided I must want the house, two point four kids, picket fence, et cetera et cetera. Therefore I shouldn't be with him, and therefore, he had to leave town."

She shrugged at Reign. "His thoughts, not mine. I tracked him down and made him see reason. All I really wanted was him. He's still working on processing that, I think. But for a while there things got... messy." To say the least.

Aishe reached out to pat Sirius once more. "I don't think he's damned," she said, attempting to make Reign smile. "Kids though - those are something both people must want in a relationship. It just can't work if it's a one-parent deal. Did Bastian know how you felt about that when you guys met? Was he hoping you'd change your mind?"
Reign 15 years ago
Poor Kem. Reign had no doubt he’d not seen that coming, not by a long shot. The whole situation actually made Reign smile. At least it did until she realized that was a hell of a lot like what they’d done. With Bastian playing Aishe’s role and herself Kem… well a variation there of any way.

“You have my permission to kick him in the shins.”

She pronounced before lapsing temporarily into a brooding silence. She, unlike Kem, apparently just couldn’t see reason. Maybe wouldn’t see reason. That was a thought too.

At least she’d always been honest about that, the kids thing though.

“Yeah, he knew. I told him when we were first in school together. I guess he thought it was some rebellious stubborn thing I’d get over. Something I’d ‘grow out of’.”

Without thinking about it, Reign snarled. Why did he think she didn’t know her own mind? Why did she think she’d want kids later? And why the hell had he held out hope for so damned long?

Vince had held out hope too, Reign absently twisted the two bands on her right finger. Men, especially Italian men, apparently had a more aggressive biological clock that she did. She’d never lead either of them on when it came to children. Nope kids were not in her future, not that she could see and she was more than OK with that.
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe chuckled softly at Reign's permission. "I wouldn't want that. Not when I have a perfectly good baseball bat," she said, miming a swinging motion. "In any case, like I said... the situations were different. Kem tends to think he doesn't deserve things, and he lets that cloud his vision. All the same, I do know how it feels to have someone you love and trust walk out on you, and leave you to your own fears and insecurities. In Kem's case though, it was done out of his own desire to somehow do good, odd as it may seem."

The topic of kids, though, Aishe wasn't sure about. "It's got to be more than that though," she said thoughtfully. "Maybe that's just the one thing that brought it all to a head, but if the love is there, you work out the rest, right? I don't know. I've never loved anyne as much as I love Kem, and that has gone well for us, after some initial rockiness. I've never experienced a breakup."

She shook her head. "Maybe I'm seeing it through rose-colored glasses, thinking love solves everything. I know it doesn't. But it just seems like maybe there would be a few different factors that sort of exploded into an 'I want kids' sort of argument?"

Aishe left Reign with that thought for a bit, waiting to see what her friend's reaction would be.
Reign 15 years ago
Reign snorted but over all approved of Aishe and the baseball bat. Yeah, still jealous it was working out in their case but not everyone was cut out to be a bitter old maid. Well technically, she wasn’t either but that was a technicality. And no, she wasn’t so desperate to be part of a couple that she was going to force herself into any mold. But it was nice… on occasion… to have some one around.

Huh, maybe it wasn’t that different. Bas, after all, ran out the first time to try and protect her. Stupid though it was it was a good thought. Bah! Too little too late and they both knew it.

“I’m a bit jealous. I don’t wish anything like this on –any one- ever. It’s my second mess of my own making and it doesn’t get any easier.”

Love did not fix everything. Either that or Reign was just damned good at breaking and re-breaking things. Casual dates here and there didn’t count. Hell even going out with a guy four or five times didn’t count. She was putting this break up on the same level as her divorce, which had been more than a bit bitter. She still couldn’t talk to Vince, he –wouldn’t- talk to her and had sincere doubts about whether she’d actually see Bas again.

“Damned if I know. I mean that’s not what we started out arguing about after the bowling alley. He got a bit controlling on me and way wigged out I wouldn’t take Sirius to see him when I have a perfectly good vet. I guess that started him thinking that he was tired of overlooking some of my more charming personality traits and finally realizing we just weren’t on the same page with what we want out of life.”
Aishe 15 years ago
"Hold on just a minute," Aishe said, "I know I might be coming at this from sort of late in the game, but in my experience it always takes two people to make a mess out of something. Sure, maybe it was Kem who did the leaving with me, but I could have been more open with him sooner, and if I had we might never have missed out on some good times."

She shook her head at Reign. "It never takes just one."

Aishe tilted her head curiously as Reign explained the circumstances with Bastian further. It was odd that he'd gone off on Reign too.

"Uh, well. I didn't really want to mention it, but Bastian said some pretty strange things to Kem that night. About Aidan, actually. Something about werewolves and kililng him. It was all just a bit strange."

She shook her head. "I thought it was just Kem he'd told. Kem had no idea what to make of it. I think he was a little afraid Bastian was, well... a little unhinged. It was all very odd to us."
Reign 15 years ago
Reign laughed, not the way you did when something was funny but they way you did when you weren’t quite sure what else to do.

“You should talk to my ex-husband.”

She alternately blamed herself and each man for her problems. The truth was that Aishe was right and it would have been a combination but some days it was just easier to take al the blame on her shoulders.

Reign sat bolt upright at Aishe’s words, fast enough that Sirius stood up and looked for something to be wrong. Reign groaned and fell to one side. He hadn’t! God he had. What the fuck was he thinking?! He’d trusted her with this and she’d done everything humanly possibly to keep him safe, keep his cover, keep his secret and then he goes off on an insane rant to Kem?!

Kem was a nice guy and all, and as near as she could tell pretty damned smart (even if he was a bit creepy looking… creepy in a good looking way but defiantly odd) but hell, they were just neighbors. Friends. Not a paramilitary operation or a hit man!

“Fucking hell. I am –so- sorry. I’m not sure what about the Doc set him off,” yes that was a lie “I really had no idea –how- freaked out he was. I know he can be intense but he’s generally not nuts like that.”

And there you had it she’d managed to completely ignore and/or brush off the werewolf thing. Hey just cause she knew there were at –least- two running around the city she wasn’t about to share that with Aishe. Ignorance was bliss. Besides, it would have given away both Bastian and the Doc and she wouldn’t have willingly done that under any circumstances.
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe sighed and shook her head at Reign again. "It's nothing you have to apologise for," Aishe said. "I just wish we knew how serious he was about it. Kem thought Bastian was a little annoyed with him for not buying teh werewolf thing. What was that all about anyhow? Some kind of conspiracy theory?"

She shrugged. "Aidan seemed nice enough to me. Even if his bowling was a bit - random. Why would Bastian think he was a werewolf. I mean, he wasn't serious was he? Was it just a joke?"

Kem certainly hadn't thought so at the time. Either way Aishe found herself shaking her head yet again.

"Don't answer that. It's really not your concern, Reign."

Sitting back on her heels she rolled her eyes thoughtfully to the ceiling and said, "You know, maybe what you need is to stop looking for a little while. Just concentrate on friends, your job, your dissertation... you know? I've found that sometimes the best relationships happen when you aren't looking for them at all."
Reign 15 years ago
“Well some one should apologize that was way off the deep end.”

Reign said with finality. Of course, he’d been annoyed with Kem for not listening. But why would Kem even think werewolves existed? Seriously. So of course he’d been annoyed even more so with her when she didn’t jump all over the idea. What she wouldn’t have given for a wall to pound her head on.

Odd that Aishe would give her that out. But damned if she wasn’t going to take it. She hauled her self back up and let the mutt settle in again. She’d like to know how serious Bas had been too. Maybe she should check up on the Doc, drop him a note, and other wise warn him that her ex… blech she hated that word… that her ex might be considering a homicidal rampage.

“Ha! I haven’t looked for a relationship a day in my life. OK so I’ve been known to ask a guy out now and then but for the most part…. Meh. I think in this case though you’re right. I’m going totally hands off for a good long while say seven or eight years.”

Ten apparently was too many but seven or eight might be alright. Well maybe five or six, she wasn’t getting any younger.
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe quirked an eyebrow up at Reign. "Well, I was thinking maybe a year or two tops. I don't know... just long enough to get your bearings and develop a crush on an unattainable movie star."

She shrugged a little. "It just seems like the best things always happen when you stop looking for them."

Granted, her case had been different. She had gone looking for Kem and had found not only him, but a new life in Evenhet which she loved. There were certain things one didn't do while giving advice though, and she assumed foremost was to not contradict oneself.

"So," she continued, "focusing on you, what is it you want out of a relationship?"
Reign 15 years ago
“Mmmm I wouldn’t mind letting say Christian Bale sweep me off my feet.”

Reign giggled even as she shoved her glasses on top of her head and pressed the heel of her hand between her eyes near the top of her nose. It didn’t look pretty but it did help, well some times it helped a little, with a migraine if you got it in time.

Aishe did have a point didn’t she? She found Pakpao and her way on to the tour when she wasn’t looking. She’d found Bas both times when she wasn’t looking. Nope not gonna cry. Yeah if you went out looking for good things you tended to just jinx yourself. Time enough to let this heal and she could start over again when she was ready.

Her hand dropped and she blinked semi startled at Aishe. Apparently, her host wanted her to at least start thinking ahead. It shocked Reign, however, to realize she didn’t know.

“You know I’m not sure. I want a family… not kids or anything I just…” She bit her lip and tried to think how to phrase this with out using the word pack. She wanted to leave the whole werewolf thing alone. “I grew up in a huge family, six kids two parents. Across the street from an equally huge family and we all sort of adopted, each other and then we adopted a few more stragglers on top of that. I want my own little part of that. A supportive working partnership with no ego involved. Without having to worry if, my tendency to be stubborn and independent is going to piss him off. But he’s not going to be afraid of it either.”
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe stood, giving Reign a few moments to compose herself. "I can't think of a movie star I'd particularly dig," she said. "I think I might have to give it some thought. Can I get you a drink while I ponder it? Maybe some tea?"

Reign's motions weren't lost on Aishe; she wouldn't blame the woman for having a headache. She was going through a lot right now and Aishe was just trying to keep her focused on getting through to the next stage, instead of dwelling on the breakup itself.

As she waited for Reign's response on the drink, she nodded thoughtfully as her neighbor expressed her wishes for some sort of family life, even if it didn't include kids of her own. "You need someone who loves you for who you are; not for who they want you to become."

Aishe knew the feeling. Again, she didn't expound on it. She didn't want to remind Reign that she was in a wonderful, loving relationship... but that went both ways with her and Kem. She loved him even as he put as much distance as he could between them, because as skewed as his thinking had been, he'd done it for her as much as for himself. And he loved her unconditionally. He could have been angry at her for her choices, for chasing him down, for practically begging to be turned, but instead he took it for how it was intended - a sign of love and commitment.

There was a lot to be said for accepting people the way they were made to be. Aishe nodded once more, confirming her own thoughts as well as her words to Reign. "To thine own self be true, right? We were made to be what we are. If we change because of someone else's desires, we've lost the meaning of love even before it gets off the ground."