Just a Nice Little Chat

Good god what an evening, and Reign only suspected it was going to get better from here.

Bastian's place probably would have been more comfortable, but her place was closer and she didn't relish the idea of a long car ride pretending nothing had happened. Besides Bas' car was there as was the mutt. And while they were looking at renovating a room to move her pool table in Reign hadn't been satisfied with a designer or contractor yet and so her table was still at her little house.

Letting them both in and greeting Sirius Reign just dropped stuff any where that was convenient as she got herself a glass of water figuring Bas could fend for himself it was basically his second home, he knew where everything was and was welcome to play with what ever he wanted as far as books, music, movies etc. Hell he even had a favorite comfy spot to flop.

Honestly she wasn't sure how to handle this and she thought letting the two of them get their thoughts in order might be good. Yeah, that would. She gave him a light kiss, she wasn't running out on him but wanted to give him some space.

"Why don't you settle in a bit? I'm going to put in a few racks. We can talk when you're ready."Â?

And Reign, along with Sirius, disappeared into her front room. Reign set up for a game of nine ball as she thought.

What ever had changed the vibe tonight, what ever had gone down stemmed from her wolf. There just wasn't any doubt about that. Sorry Lupo but that's the way this one went. And it wasn't Kem or Aishe so it must be the Doc or his date. Nikhila had been quiet and had barley said two words to their group so Reign ruled her out. Must be the Doc. Ok why would the Doc upset him? The break in had upset Bas but Reign didn't think that was it. God knew the Doc didn't need the money and he was distinctive enough looking she'd have known if he was one of her attackers.

So that meant it had to be the wolf thing. Well that or Reign had been flirting with the Doc, she didn't think she had though. And while jealous on occasion, Bas wasn't generally that bad about nothing flirting. The only conclusion Reign could draw then, as she set up her second rack of nine ball, was that Bas suspected that the wolf and the Doc were one person. Huh. It took a while but Reign admitted it was a possibility. Sure why not. Pakpao was a vampire and she'd never have suspected that. Bastian was a werewolf and she sure as all hell hadn't seen that coming. And both of them seemed perfectly, well mostly in Pakpao's case, normal to every one else. So could the Doc be a wolf too, sure; it wasn't a given but why not.

Of course, even if he was what did that mean? Not a lot to her. Yes the massive wolf and Bas had scuffled and yes she'd gotten involved which had been potentially damned stupid, but the intruder had left. Just gone away. Aishe hadn't said anything more about raccoons being eaten and Sirius hadn't freaked out so Reign had assumed it was a one off thing. Apparently Bas wasn't taking it that way.

God damned it why did he have to be so protective some time?! She thought as she viciously slammed the seven into the nine to end the game and racked again. This time a full rack. She'd play a hundred or so, that would help keep her cool until he felt like talking.

Bastian 15 years ago
He wasn't surprised when she chose her house to go to...it was closer to the bowling alley, and if the evening continued as he knew it could, Reign probably wouldn't want to be around him for a while. This way she'd already be home, and he would need to leave.

But he really didn't want to think along those lines. The problem with Aidan was his, and though it did concern Reign indirectly, Bastian needed to come to terms with it himself. Maybe Thanos was right, and maybe Bastian needed to just leave things alone. If only he felt better about the man, and had reason to trust him.

The drive was quiet, but not an uncommon situation. As long as Reign and Bastian had known each other, and been together, they had found that they could both be comfortable not chattering all the time. Tonight he appreciated that they had found that common ground.

Following her into her house, Bastian scratched the spot of fur between the top of Sirius' ears, and went into the kitchen to get the bottle of brandy he'd placed in a cabinet a few weeks back. He didn't pour Reign any because she'd just had some water, and never seemed terribly fond of the amber liquid, but he pour himself a good margin, and set the bottle on the counter, in case he wanted a refill later.

He almost stopped her when she said they could talk whenever he was ready, thinking there was no reason to not just dive into the matter then.

'Reign, Aidan is a werewolf...THE werewolf who was stalking you, snooping around, being in places he hadn't been invited to be in...eating raccoons he wasn't entitled to be eating...Aishe's pets for dios sake! And on top of all that, he's from a rival pack!'

So far so good, he thought, as he played the scenario over in his mind, leaning up against the wall in the hallway. Reign was pounding the pool table with a lot of verve, and it occurred to Bastian she must have some energy of her own to get rid of. Maybe he'd hold his tongue until SHE was ready to listen, and give her the time she obviously wanted.

After what seemed like an adequate amount of time had passed, and Reign had been shooting quite a bit, Bastian poured himself a bit more brandy, and joined her in the front room. He had thought of just about every which way he could tell her what he needed to say, and after a while the words all sounded the same. What he had to do now was just get it out there, and try to find a way they could both deal with it.

Waiting for her to pause, he jumped in at the first opportunity.

"Aidan is the werewolf who was outside your home that night...the werewolf who took it upon himself to stalk you, and the same one who was responsible for Aishe's missing pets. He's not part of my pack, but a rival pack in Nachton. I honestly don't think he's dangerous, well, to you anyway, but I'm reserving judgment there until I find out more about him.

I know you are an adult, smart, and given to having a level head on your shoulders. You also have every right to run your life as you see fit, but right now I'd hope you'd trust me, and that I might have a little more knowledge when it comes to werewolves."

He was afraid to stop talking, fearing she would start in and he wouldn't get his little practiced speech out, so while he did pause for a couple seconds then, just long enough to grab another swallow of brandy, he began right up again.

"I talked to Kem about it briefly, partially because it has been bothering me ever since the night we had that confrontation, but more so because I felt a little blindsided tonight when I saw him at the bowling alley, and realized who he was. I regret that now...Kem probably thinks he should alert the closest medical facility to keep an eye out for me. It was a mistake, but one I don't think will turn into anything much, fortunately."

He walked over to where she stood, and stopped directly in front of her, trying to offer a small smile...trying to remain calm...and trying not to say some of the things he knew would sound even more irrational than what he had already said.

"I know you'll do what you want to do, no matter what I say, but I have to ask...would it be possible for you to refrain from taking Sirius to him again for a while, and not going out of your way to socialize with the man? I'm not asking you to avoid him altogether, but if Sirius needs something in the near future, I know a really good vet who seems to be getting along much better with him these days, and who would be happy to help out."

The brandy was kicking in, and Bastian was feeling fuzzy...still clear headed, but a little slower than he had earlier. A combination of that fuzziness, along with his exhaustion pushed him to sit down then, and he did, unknowingly spilling a small spot of brandy on the carpet. He held his breath now, waiting to hear Reign's reaction to the bomb he'd set in her lap.
Reign 15 years ago
OK good he was ready to talk. Good enough for her. Reign neatly put the cue away, it was –not- her competition cue and perched on one of the stools. The room really was not conducive to conversation or sitting comfortably, but it is where they were.

She let Bastian spill everything, didn’t try to interrupt or interject at all. It was all pretty much as she figured. Although she wondered what the hell he’d done to poor Kem. No, no, one problem at a time and this was going to work out to be a doozy, she could feel it in her bones.

“Yeah, I kind of figured that’s what you were thinking. Any idea why you think it’s the Doc?”

She wasn’t discounting it she just wasn’t going to rush in blindly and believe. The rest… well that was going to be trickier. Reign took a deep breath and continued.

“OK before I say this know I’m not looking at things with rose colored glasses but let’s think a bit. The Doc has been my vet since I set foot in Nachton. He’s a good guy. He’s never tried to eat me, hit on me or even over charged me. If he is the wolf, I don’t think his stalking was hostile. A bit creepy perhaps but not hostile. I don’t know maybe it has something to do with the break in, after all the wolf came around after I told him about it, and he’s one of the few people I told, and we really haven’t seen hide or hair of the wolf since. So I just don’t feel threatened. I think I might understand a –little- why the whole gig is upsetting you and maybe I’m being to laid back about it but…”

Maybe you’re over reacting a bit. Reign didn’t say that, but she was thinking it. As to the other that was a bit more delicate. Sliding down on to the carpet with him, half wishing they had moved into the living room, she took one of his hands in both of hers.

“Lupo I know you would do a great job. I have no doubt, I know it. But I’m looking at it like this. Doctors don’t practice on their own family and you’re a doctor and he’s family. It’s a bad mix. If, god forbid, something did happen to him do you really want that on your conscious because you –know- I’m not going to take it at all well not matter who’s fault it is or isn’t.”

Not that Reign was at all thinking about Sirius coming down with something. Nope not at all; not that it would open any investigative opportunities to find out more about him.
Bastian 15 years ago
And so it went as he predicted, and that didn't set well with him.

"When the two of us came to blows outside here, I came into very close contact, and was close enough to see the wolf's eyes. That wolf had eyes unlike any other wolf I've ever seen before...the same eyes I saw in Aidan, tonight."

One point down....would that suffice? Apparently not.

"If he is the wolf?...even after I've given you proof, you refuse to believe me...trust me. You've had him as your vet for what, several months, and yet you won't give me the benefit of doubt, when you've known me for years?"

He fought to keep his voice low, quiet, and calm...but it was a battle he wasn't sure he would be able to maintain.

"I've even gone so far as to agree I don't think he's hostile, and am only asking that you give me some time to look into things a little more, before you totally discount anything I've said, and continue on as if it means nothing. But that is too much to ask it seems."

His voice was a little louder that time, but tinged with hurt, not anger. The pain in his voice grew further and became mixed with disgust when she brought up the next issue.

"I played along when you said you were taking Sirius to someone else, because I saw no reason to stop you, and because it seemed easier at the time, but do you really think I'd volunteer to treat your dog if I didn't seriously feel I could do every bit as well as Aidan? I treat my own dogs, my horses...do you think I care about them less by treating them? Its really not the same thing as a physician operating on their own child...many physicians treat their families for colds, and other such maladies...they just draw the line when it comes to complex surgeries."

Now his voice was growing louder, and frustration was joining the pain. For as much as he loved Reign, this was an area that had always caused problems for the two of them, and an area they just never seemed to figure out how to resolve.

He set the brandy snifter on the table, and stood. If he stayed with her now, it would go on and on, and he would get angrier and angrier until he was sure he'd say or do something he'd regret. Bastian knew it wouldn't solve anything to leave now either, but he was too distraut, and tired to try and figure out anything else to do. Trust was a major factor in a relationship, and even though he had done something huge in the past to shake that between them, if she wasn't able to ever regain it, he knew they would never work.

"Can you think of a compromise?"
Reign 15 years ago
“I never said I doubted you, not once. I asked why you thought that.”

Reign corrected him. Now she came to think of it the Doc did have two different colored eyes and the wolf had too. So it really wasn’t a bad idea, is was even slightly impressed. At least until Bastian started getting rattled. Deep breath, not going to go this route if she could help it.

“This one isn’t an issue of trust, its not. I do trust your instinct. I’m willing to consider that some one I know and respect is a werewolf because you believe that. What I’m not willing to do is run off half-cocked. Hell even if I was what are we going to do about it?”

Wasn’t that a fine question. She wasn’t about to go picking a fight with the Doc. Not as a wolf or as a human, even if she did have a reason to.

She let him get louder, and she got quieter. It was a pretty fair sign she was more than a little irritated.

“If you want time to look into this, into him. Fine, take time. No one is stopping you. I’m not rushing into his office ever week or asking him to marry me am I? He doesn’t live around the corner and I’ve never been invited to tea.”

What was going on in his head? Did he have a concussion she didn’t know about? Waxy build up? It was almost like he wasn’t hearing what she had to say at all. Her jaw clenched and her teeth ground together, not lightly either that was going to hurt in the morning but she over looked him putting words in her mouth, saying she was disregarding what he’d told her.

OK there went Reign’s last bit of cool. –Now- whose feelings were being disregarded.

“Don’t you –ever- tell me that you’re playing along with me. Not ever. I have not once doubted your skill or the quality of care you give your animals or would give mine. But this is also –my- decision to make, like it or lump it. Have a nice day.”

She squared her shoulders stood and retrieved a cue and went back to her game. Fight over. If he pushed much further Reign was going to get –very- nasty, so far she gave herself full marks for not blowing her top.
Bastian 15 years ago
So she refused to stay away from Aidan, she refused to let Bastian treat Sirius, and she wouldn't even try to come up with a way the two of them could go on together with this thing between them.

"You're 'willing to consider'...is not the same as you believe. I don't know why you don't understand that. You've said what you aren't doing...rushing off to his office, but you won't agree not to.

It is definitely your decision to make, though eventually I'd hope we might make decisions together...as that doesn't seem to be in the offering, I have no choice but to lump it, though I have to admit I have no idea what that means."

His anger had dissipated, and been replaced by confusion, and not just because of the term she'd used, which he had heard before, but never understood.

There was no mistaking her anger, and uncharacteristically, no mistaking his pain. To benefit them both, and prevent anything worse from happening, Bastian turned and walked out the front door, quietly closing it behind him.

The drive back to the ranch was even more quiet than the drive earlier had been, and while he did nothing but try to figure out what he might have done differently with Reign, he came up empty.

Maybe what they had shared in college, was now truly gone. All those years he'd spent trying to find out what he was, and do what he could to make sure he'd be a better man for her, maybe they were based on a promise that no longer existed.

He wasn't admitting defeat just yet, but the prospect, one that he had been refusing to see for all these past years, was suddenly becoming a possibility.

(Bastian out)
Reign 15 years ago
Reign could only stay cool so long, then the yelling… well it happened.

“Why the fuck should I stay away from some one I like? I’m not a bare foot in the kitchen little girl you can push around. I will NOT take an ultimatum. In ALL the time that you’ve known me what in the world makes you think I’d be OK with that?!”

She practically bellowed. And he was damned lucky that’s all she did. Her first instinct had been to break the cue over his head.

Fine! Go. Get out of my house you are –not- the man I knew before. It was stupid but Reign opened the door and slammed it after him before locking it thoroughly. Even with a key he wouldn’t be able to get back in and she was sure as shit setting the alarm.

He was being an unreasonable ass why didn’t he see that?! Why didn’t he hear her?! Why did he have to take and twist what she said and why did he think she was just going to blindly follow him?! She needed information, facts, and details to make a decision and she just didn’t have those all she had was one fact that was borderline coincidence and Bastian’s determined belief.

When he was willing to be fucking open minded she –might- be willing to talk again but he was coming damned close to using up his second chance. Maybe she’d move back to Chicago, there really wasn’t anything for her here.

She’d stalked back and forth through the house for nearly a half an hour while considering everything and playing the fight back in her head. Finally Reign threw herself on the couch and turned on a movie. She eventually fell asleep there. A restless uncomfortable unproductive sleep. But she slept.

((OOC… Reign out too.))