Check/Checkmate

Perhaps it should have struck Reign as odd that her neighbors were just as, if not more, nocturnal than she was. But it didn't. In fact she didn't even think about it that much. She'd wanted to take Sirius out for a run, well he'd run she wouldn't, and a romp after a day spent hunched over books and a computer. It was late(ish) well after dark but she didn't think twice about calling Aishe and asking if the smaller woman wanted to join her.

Ordinarily Reign wouldn't have bothered with company, but she was still a bit unsettled by both the break in and the wolf. She wasn't a fool and didn't think Aishe would be able to fend off either human or werewolf attackers but she did think there was some safety in numbers and if worst came to worst one of the two of them could run for help.

Just as Lake Michigan did back home, the ocean drew her to it. Besides, as she told Aishe, the beach would give Sirius lots of room to run. Reign had, after all, brought a Frisbee and figured the mutt would have fun chasing it, hell he was already excited.

But there was a bit of a walk to the beach. There was the short way and the long way. Ordinarily Reign was all for the short way, especially with Sirius tugging at his leash, but the short way seemed to go through some chess tables and one was occupied. More to the point Reign knew who was sitting there and so she, without thinking about it, started to lean the long way just assuming Aishe would follow her. It was just a nice winding little path after all and not barbed wire and land mines.

Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe was, once more, left to her own devices while Kem tackled whatever he was tackling at Meridian. She had offered to go along but no, he wouldn't hear of it. Regardless, she would probably swing by later anyhow. In the meantime she had received an unexpected invitation from Reign to take a walk down at the beach.

It was too nice a night to say no, and Aishe probably would have gone along anyway. She could tell from Reign's voice, particularly once they'd met each other on the street outside of their homes, that the woman was still a little reluctant to go out on her own. Of course she couldn't know that Aishe was certainly good company if one was a little afraid of being mugged, robbed, or assaulted by undesireable characters, but Aishe knew and that was good enough.

That said, she hadn't been expecting the sort of "trouble" she saw sitting at a park bench playing chess.

"Oh, is that who I think it is?" Her keener-than-human eyesight verified that, yes, it was. Reign didn't appear to have noticed Pakpao sitting there or surely she'd have gone in that direction to greet her sponsor, so Aishe tapped Reign lightly on the arm and tossed her head in Pak's direction.

"We have to go say hi... Pak's a really good friend of ours."

With that, Aishe headed over toward the chess boards and the sole occupant of the one table, waving in Pak's direction.

((ooc: permission for empathy/grabbiness))
Pakpao 15 years ago
Some days even Pak didn’t understand what motivated her, but as long as she wasn’t motivated to do something, totally insane quite often she didn’t question it. Actually even when it was totally insane she didn’t often question it. The point was she’d wound up awake and working all day and as a result was taking the night off. And while MARI was a very good opponent, she wanted some fresh air. Unfortunately, chess in the park didn’t work out quite so well this late at night. Very few people were up and about and wanting a chess game.

That didn’t really bother Pak though, she had enough duality in her personality that playing both sides of a board really wasn’t much of a problem. You just had to remember to treat each side objectively. Clove in hand she considered black’s side of the board it was a mess. White had done a number on the front lines. Finally seeing a good option for offense, she drove one of black’s knights in to threaten white’s queen. Wrapped up in the moment she shouted something triumphant in Siamese and turned the board to consider white’s problem and again lapsed into silence.

While debating between saving white’s queen or launching a counter attack, she caught some movement out of the corner of her eye. Her hopes for a match were dashed, however, when she saw who it was. Actually, she’d never asked Aishe if she played, but Aishe was with some one and a chess game didn’t seem likely. When Pak finally saw who it was, she grinned a little to herself and went back to scowling at the board.

When the other two women were in earshot she didn’t bother too look up, all she said was,

“You’ve been avoiding me.”
Reign 15 years ago
Nuts, Aishe seemed to have noticed Pakpao. Double nuts they were friends. What the hell could vampires have friends? Was that allowed?

Reign was a little surprised and a little reluctant but followed Aishe over to the Asian vampire. Part of her was a little surprised to here her refer to Pakpao so informally. The nickname totally blew her away. For all the years she’d known Pakpao and she’d never even considered calling her anything but Pakpao.

Sirius, however, didn’t mind the change of direction and was just as happy to go and greet more people.

“You know each other?”

As they approached Reign considered warning Aishe what Pakpao was. Of course she never would, that wasn’t information one just gave out wily nily no matter who much you liked your neighbors.

She flinched slightly as Pakpao decided to acknowledge her in her own inimitable way.

“Only a little.”

Reign admitted a little reluctantly. She might have pointed out Pakpao hadn’t exactly been knocking down her door either, but didn’t.
Aishe 15 years ago
For a moment Aishe was puzzled, thinking Pak was referring to her. Then when Reign answered she realized who Pak's comment had been directed to. She hadn't realized there would be some tension between Reign and Pak. Reign seemed uncomfortable. If she'd known, perhaps she would have walked on by and let Pak play her chess game quietly.

It seemed redundant now to answer Reign's question but she did anyhow, nodding at her neighbor. "She and Kem wok at Meridian together. We met through him."

She smiled at Pak and looked down at the chess board, letting Reign and Pak converse while trying to be as unnoticeable as possible. The black side had white's queen in an unenviable position, but further examiation of the game showed that it was sort of a long shot for black. Even if it lost its queen, the white team had a stronger tactical advantage.

Aishe kept one ear tuned to Pak and Reign as she considered the best way to strengthen black's position.
Pakpao 15 years ago
“I do not –work- with Kem. I taunt him mercilessly and attempt to keep him out of trouble. Let’s not belittle what few things I have in my life shall we?”

Pak tossed at Aishe somewhat distractedly. Part of her very much wanted to get black to pull this game out of its ass, but it was white’s turn and there was a certain amount of pride in not losing. Deciding the queen was a lost cause and that her energy could be used better else where Pak swung a rook out from the back lines. Black was dead in two moves. Three tops and there would be no way to stop it. No one could accuse her of cheating. For forms sake she turned the board to play black’s position.

“Ten points for honesty.”

She flicked a smile at Reign.

“Did you decide on the Western Tour yet?”

Pak was at a loss with Reign, the girl had accepted her readily enough when they first met. Maybe she was a bit intimidated but she was a plucky sort and never let it show, not really. It wasn’t until Reign had rather accidentally learned Pak was a vampire that she’d been so conservative. Although you did still see sparks of things now and then.
Reign 15 years ago
Reign did something of a double take. It was hard to remember the vampire had fooled her too and just come off as some one ordinary. Why it seemed harder to invite a vampire out for a beer than it was to invite the Pakpao of several years ago out she didn’t understand but it was. Maybe if she watched Pakpao with Aishe for a while it would come back to her. It was just, well, she had to remember and forget at the same time and that was a damned tricky thing.

Flopping none too gracefully or subtly on the grass she stretched out her legs and leaned back. Sirius joined her.

“What’s that make the score now?”

She was sure Pakpao didn’t know, Reign was the one who kept score it was her own personal game and even she didn’t understand the rules.

“Yes I did. I’m going to hit about half of it. That’s all I need for my ranking and before you ask I’m going to take the rest of the time to go back home and present my dissertation. My adviser’s had a few good looks at it and he’s pulled in a few favors and gotten some other opinions I should be good once its finished and in. Six months, maybe eight, tops.”

Reign rolled her eyes at Aishe and set about explaining.

“She’s been babysitting me on the paper for a while now, unlike most sponsors who just throw money at you and go away.”

The last bit was very unsubtly directed at Pakpao who only laughed and apparently started fishing for another clove.
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe slid into the seat opposite Pak to watch the destruction of the black team. They were dead in the water now. Still, her eyes bore holes into the chess board, trying to see some way out of a bad situation. Nothing was coming.

She broke her concentration for a moment to look at Pak with wide eyes. "You keep him out of trouble? Funny, I had thought you were the one responsible for getting him into it most of the time."

She grinned at Pakpao and turned to Reign. "Don't let her fool you. If it weren't for Kem, Pak would've burned down the towers with a screwdriver by now. Or something." She smiled sweetly across the board at Pak.

As Reign told her about the dissertation, Aishe nodded. She remembered grad school well. "Well... on the one hand, you've got a sponsor who cares about you and on the other - once Pak sinks her teeth into something, she's got quite the hold. You might try spraying her in the face with a water bottle."

With a detached air, Aishe swung the chess board away from Pak and stole black's move, placing a knight in a position that might be helpful in a turn or two.
Pakpao 15 years ago
"I think it's a fifty fifty thing, although I also think my trouble making quotient has gone up since meeting him."Â?

Pak had -never- been a saint and knew better to claim sweet and innocent to Aishe, but she'd never had a better partner in crime either. Well part partner, part target; whatever, it worked.

She only raised an eyebrow as Aishe took over black's position. It wasn't a bad move, but it was one she had considered from white's point of view and wasn't worried about it. She wasn't going to have time to use it. Pak moved one of her bishops. One more move and the net would be closed and the king would have no where to run.

"I might have crashed every system known to man and locked people in the elevator but I'm not into arson."Â?

Kicking back, confidant that even with Aishe playing black the game was over Pak lit her next clove. How people smoked anything else was beyond her. She rolled her eyes at the spray bottle idea, that -would- get the wrath of the screwdrivers to descend upon you.

"Good. That's good though it will be a weight off you not to have to worry about that any more."Â?
Reign 15 years ago
Reign wasn't much of a chess player, she knew the rules and she could hold her own against your every day player but she'd seen Pakpao play and knew she'd be WAY out of her league. Aishe didn't seem intimidated though and more power to her.

She started to relax a little as Aishe and the vampire bantered. She and Pakpao had done that quite a bit before she knew... Reign wondered if Aishe knew about Pakpao's nocturnal nature and dietary choices. She didn't think it was likely given Pakpao's habit of keeping herself to herself.

"If I did that she'd probably melt my face or otherwise revenge herself on me."Â?

Reign half smiled. Yeah there were some things you didn't do because the consequences and squirting vampires in the face seemed like one of them. She was also a bit curious to see Pakpao and Kem in action together. While she wasn't claiming to know Kem -very- well she had the distinct impression they could cause a great deal of trouble.

"Yeah I'll be the only pool player in the world with a PhD. I think that makes me a bit under employed."Â?

But she sure as hell wasn't going back to teaching and she didn't regret getting the degree, it seemed natural. Reign just wasn't sure what she was going to do with it.

"Do you really think they'd burn things down?"Â?

She needed Aishe's opinion on this. It seemed the young woman had a much better handle on Pakpao than Reign did.
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe frowned at the chess board. "No fair. Next time I get to come in before black is dead in the water."

She used her fingertip to flick the king sideways; there was absolutely no way out of what would be a checkmate on Pak's next turn. The idea made her frown. Aishe liked to think there was always a way out of any bad situation. In that regard, sometimes chess irritated her.

Resetting the board for whoever came along next, Aishe addressed the more serious (okay, not really) issue of vampiric arson. Looking slowly from Reign to Pak, stopping to ponder Pak's face as she stroked her chin with false gravity, Aishe finally turned back to Reign and said, "Okay no. They wouldn't have burned the towers down. They both like their jobs way too much for that. But the potential for practical joking is ridiculously high."

A smile crept over her lips. "Like the time Kem rigged the IT coffee maker to set off the smoke alarm in Pak's office."

She still had no idea how he'd done it even after he explained it. But she did remember, as she grinned at Pak, the screech and then the string of foreign profanity that had issued forth.
Pakpao 15 years ago
"Next time you can play when white is dead in the water."Â?

Pak quipped. She also made note that Aishe seemed to be at least a bit of a chess player. Maybe they could play properly some time.

Pak groaned with the memory. It had taken some time to get the damned thing off and until she could tack things down it had gone off every time someone made a new pot of coffee. And with night shift IT that meant every 30 min.

"That if I recall correctly earned him Styrofoam peanuts and paper clips."Â?

In retaliation she had given Kem about a week to get good and nervous and then saran-wrapped his desk at the time and filled that with Styrofoam packing peanuts. If nothing else Pak was thorough and she had also filled the drawers to near overflowing with paper clips and covered every thing at his desk from scissors to mouse to pencil with saran wrap as well.
Reign 15 years ago
Reign just sat there, mouth agape. This was a side of Pakpao she had been completely unaware of. It sounded damned dangerous too.

"I think Kem maybe one of the bravest men I've ever met."Â?

Shocked or not she couldn't help snickering at the described antics. It all sounded like something she'd do, if she were at all prone to planning and retaliation but too often those things took work.

Turning an inquisitive look at Aishe she asked,

"How do you stay out of the middle of a mess like that?"Â?
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe poked her tongue out playfully at Pak and said, "Gee, thanks." If there was a next time maybe she'd stand a chance if she could get in on the first couple rounds... but chess was a very far-thinking game. You could lose the game in those first couple rounds if you weren't careful. Aishe was certainly no chess master but she enjoyed games of strategy and she knew enough about chess to be competitive. She filed the information that Pak liked the game away for use at a later date; this was hardly the time to get started on a several-hour-long game.

She grinned at the remembrance of the saran-wrapped desk. It hadn't been too long ago; maybe four or five months after she and Kem had moved in together. Naturally, because of the way she and Kem communicated, she had heard about the entire thing as it happened. It had been the first time she'd ever experienced an elipse in a sending, but [...] was the best she could describe Kem's reaction.

"I think he still has peanut-related nightmares," she told Pak. "It's a sad thing to see."

Reign seemed to be relaxing a little bit; Aishe couldn't figure out why these two would be so terse with each other, or why Reign would be nervous about Pak. Sure, Pak had her grouchy moments, but she wasn't that bad!

"Kem is very brave," she told Reign in all seriousness, remembering the disturbing Halloween events from the previous year. "He and Pak might joke like siblings, but I can't think of any two people I'd rather have around in a pinch."

Then she smiled again. "Of course, he's older and wiser than Pak. If she gets too bratty he puts her in her place. They really are like a brother and sister." It was part retaliation for the chess joke. Aishe favored Pak with a mischievous smirk. If only Reign knew how true that was; Aishe had witnessed the difference between their respective abilities on several occasions, most notably the hands-free tug-of-war the two of them were capable of involving themselves in. Kem nearly always won, and when he didn't it was generally because he allowed Pak the victory. Pak was fiesty, but her few hundred years of telekinesis could not make up for sixteen hundred years of wresting kitchenware from angry womens' hands.

"For my part, I stay well away when they're picking on each other." She nodded wisely to Reign. "Office-to-office speaker phones are great for that. I work hard at being a neutral third-party!"
Pakpao 15 years ago
Pak wasted a perfectly good sweet and innocent look on Aishe. No way would the young vampire buy it, well maybe for half a second it was a convincing look, but over all Aishe knew her too well to fall for it.

"Pay back is an evil thing. Maybe he'll think twice about playing with my coffee pot now."Â?

The coffee pot and smoke detector maybe, but that didn't mean he'd stop or had stopped for that matter, goofing on her. She of course continued to give as good as she got. Although things had slowed down, nearly to a screeching halt, since he'd gotten wrapped up in all this leadership rubbish. Maybe she should instigate, maybe in a few weeks when he chilled out a bit or was at least more used to things or when Alfarinn was back. One of the three for sure.

Unknowingly, Pak's mind had gone to the same place Aishe's had. But she wasn't quite as serious about it.

"Yes because I hide behind you so well."Â?

Thank god some people in the clan had some semblance of physical courage. If push came to shove Pak could probably manage but truthfully she didn't even know where to start.

She just chuffed at the idea of being bratty or put in her place. She was -never- ... she just had her own style is all. Although Kem did get full marks for being a good brother when she was out of sorts or otherwise needed him.

"You should know something about all that."Â? Pak lightly tossed at Reign. "How many siblings are you up to?"Â?

She never could remember. Something about them all named for characters in Greek mythology but other than that she couldn't remember.
Reign 15 years ago
For her own part Reign was just enjoying watching Pakpao and Aishe banter. It was relaxing and reassuring. Somewhere along the line she'd half gotten it into her head Pakpao was some kind of monster, which was a stupid -stupid- thing and she blamed it on one too many Ann Rice novels and having read Dracula fifteen times. Odd that she could accept Bas being a werewolf so much easier than Pakpao being a vampire. Probably because shifting forms was so damned obvious where as a vampire just looked like an ordinary person all the time.

She giggled at the peanut nightmares and slowly, thoughtfully nodded in agreement. She might be having a few issues with what Pakpao was but she also knew the vampire was tougher than she looked, determined and more than a little loyal. The comment about Kem being older and wiser, however, made her half snort half giggle. It also earned her an odd unreadable look from Pakpao who apparently understood what exactly she was almost laughing at. Actively choosing to be un-intimidated she just shrugged at the Asian vampire.

"See now that shows intelligence and insight. When ever possible stay out of the line of fire!"Â?

Reign enthusiastically agreed with Aishe before rolling her eyes at Pakpao. The woman was brilliant, in her own way, but she also had a Sherlock Holmes like habit of forgetting anything that didn't immediately pertain to something else.

"Five. Alex, Jason, Maxim, Portia and Helen. We've covered this before."Â?

That almost felt like some of their verbal back and forth before she'd found out about... well before. Any way, the point was it also felt good.
Aishe 15 years ago
"Hey now, as I recall Kem's made good use of that coffee pot on your behalf," Aishe reminded Pak. "He's earned the right to abuse it a little bit at least!"

She listened as Pak and Reign began to chat more comfortably. She didn't really need her empathy to tell her they were both getting more comfortable, but it kicked in anyhow. Pak was, as usual, impossible for her to read. But when she did see color from Reign, what she saw was much more reassuring.

"I'm not so sure about intelligence or insight so much as self-preservation," she pointed out to Reign. "Pak and Kem have been known to get downright reckless."

Aishe bent down from her chess-table bench and reached out a hand to pet Sirius, who was being more patient than she'd imagined he could be.

"Reign, do you think Pak could come with us to throw for Sirius?" Reign had invited her along, so Aishe wouldn't presume to invite Pak herself, but if Reign was loosening up around her a little it would be nice to have Pak along.

She didn't even think Pak might decline the offer. If she did, Aishe would be sure the smoke detector in her office had another small blowout. Pak should socialize more, particularly with Reign!
Reign 15 years ago
"Some how the reckless doesn't surprise me."Â?

And it didn't, which was a bit odd. The Pakpao she knew was always very controlled, yes she had a few odd notions and occasionally did something -very- odd but for the most part she (to borrow a phrase from Douglas Adams) knew where her towel was at.

Sirius had gotten up to blatantly beg for more attention from Aishe. He was such a tramp in that regard. She widened her eyes when Aishe asked if Pakpao could come too. Well of course, why the hell not. She didn't think that the vampire would toss around a Frisbee with a mutt in a month of Sundays but they could ask.

"Sure. I don't see why not if you want to come Pakpao."Â?

She was so -not- calling her sponsor by any other name unless asked.

But she stood up and stretched and was more than ready to head down to the beach. The odds were Sirius was going to wind up wet and sandy, but he liked that sort of thing.
Pakpao 15 years ago
Pak held her hands out to indicate a scale and tipped them back and forth a bit.

"Good deed, extremely annoying evil... good deed, extremely annoying evil... yeah not quite seeing a balance there. Close but no cigar. Now if he wants to haul his butt back upstairs and make some more coffee I might just forgive him completely."Â?

Kem made some -damned- good coffee and she would be more than happy to take advantage of those skills again. And even happier to distract him, a bit and in a non-shouting manner, from what ever bit of business was currently holding him up. She'd been a bit reluctant to approach him since her melt down. It wasn't like she was avoiding him or anything she was just holding back more than usual.

Standing as if to follow Reign and Aishe Pak knocked the pieces back into a drawstring pouch, they were her pieces after all, and muttered in her native language what amounted to 'Sure why the hell not'. Pak was hopeless with a Frisbee but a very little bit of telekinesis could help that as long as Aishe didn't say anything major, and Pak didn't think she would.

Apparently her agreement perplexed Reign who did a lovely double take. Pak, however, just smiled and indicated the other two should lead the way.
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe broke into a jog as they left the chess area and hit the trail that led out of the lightly forested park area and out into the grass that preceded the beach. She enjoyed it here. Not only was this one of the first places she'd visited in Nachton, but more recent memories had made it far more special. She closed her eyes briefly and smiled. She had thought she'd keep it in mind forever, the picture of the moon shining above Kem's head as leaned over her, and yes - so far it was still quite bright. Though perhaps they should repeat the act once in a while. Just to keep things fresh.

Reaching the far end of the beach she tugged her shoes and socks off, then bent to roll up her pants. She was wearing her cargoes, as usual, but they were made of lightweight cotton and there were ties inside them to hold them up at her knees. She arranged everything properly; no way was she coming out to the beach on a warm summer night and NOT getting wet! Having done that she held both her arms up and waved her hands over her head. Aishe loved frisbee-tossing, and since Reign was a dog-owner, she guessed the other woman was passable too. Pak, Aishe didn't know about, but one thing was certain, if she didn't manage to throw it right, judicious use of telekinesis would fix it!
Reign 15 years ago
She didn’t see any one about, nor any signs, and she trusted her mutt completely and so bent to unclip his leash. Reign hesitated a bit, not worried that he wouldn’t come back or that he’d run away but that there might be a wolf out there, the kind that wasn’t Bas. Deciding that her stalker had been discreet before and really hadn’t seemed intent on harming any one she let Sirius off the leash and he took off like a shot after Aishe.

Reign quickly rolled up her pants and tossed the Frisbee at Aishe.

“He –will- knock you over!”

She called to her neighbor. Sirius might be extremely well mannered but all was fair in love and Frisbee where he was concerned. Hell he’d knocked Reign over and she was bigger that Aishe.

Pakpao was following them at a more sedate pace, apparently age slowed her down or some shit.

“You gonna cheat at this game too?”

Reign needled. She was still holding that pool game years ago against Pakpao.