Join the revolution (attn Bastian)

It seemed half the Kumpania was out tonight, though that wasn't especially unusual. There was nothing to celebrate save being alive and well, but Vyusher could do that with as much gusto as with a national holiday. Though it was getting late, the flames of the bonfire still burned high, dishes from many households continued to work their way around, and children, wide awake, scampered underfoot.

Thanos's guitar rested beside him, unplayed – the conversations were music enough. He wore a beaded ring that one of the children had made 'for the Jiro' – this he twisted around his finger while he watched his pack at play. A young couple chased each other around the fire. A mother scolded what seemed like a dozen children under her care. Food dripped from chins, drinks were spilled and cleaned up. But what troubled Thanos was the amount of people with heads close together, speaking in low voices and looking his way. Already two of his pack had asked to walk with him tonight. It would be a long time before their minds were truly at peace. Peace – would he ever know that again? Thanos thought not, but he held out hope for the next generation.

It was customary, at these gatherings, for him to say a few words as Jiro. Nothing like a speech – that was for the Alphas – but a brief statement. At the next lull, he stood, and the group quieted further still.

“Welcome, Vyusher!” He gestured for more quiet, as such exclamations necessitated a return call of 'Vyusher' and 'Welcome' and 'Jiro', in no particular order. Continuing on in his gravely, unaffected voice, he gave a traditional Polish toast to which everyone raised their glasses. “Jedzcie, pijcie i popuszczajcie pasa! Eat, drink, and loosen your belts!”

Laughter, and then quiet anticipation.

“Tonight, and every night, you all have the ear of the Jiro. You have been strong, you have been patient, and you deserve to be heard.” A pause, and then, “Unless you want to 'fix me up.' All of those requests must be approved by the Sarkis.” More laughter – the Jiro's single status was something of an inside joke. A loud feminine voice called out 'He approves, he approves!' while another shouted 'Sarkis already has a day job!' and drew additional laughter for him to wave down. “In all serious. Our doors and our minds are open. Together we will do what must be done.”

Some raised their glasses again, while others murmured 'Vyusher R'asa' as he took his seat on a nearby bench, waiting to see what this evening would bring him.

Bastian 15 years ago
It was a beautiful night, and though Bastian could have been just as happy at home with Reign, he was glad he had attended tonight's festivities.

When he had inquired into the person to speak to in regard to some personal issues, he was apprised of the evenings events, and that Thanos would be around if Bastian wished to take up his concerns with the second in command. Bastian still knew little about the packs hierarchy, but he was aware that Thanos was the 'beta', and in a position to accommodate Bastian's needs well. Or so he hoped.

Before he left the house, Bastian jotted down a quick note to Reign, and let her know he would be home late. He didn't go into detail because he was afraid she might follow after him if she knew the whys and wherefores of his evening's agenda. He did want her to meet the members of his pack, but even in that aspect, he wasn't clear on what was and wasn't appropriate.

He had many questions, and hoped to get many answers tonight.

When things seemed to simmer down a bit, and Thanos extended his invitation, Bastian was the first to arise. He felt more than self-conscious, but ignored that feeling, and approached his leader with reverence, and respect.

"Good evening, Jiro." His greeting was followed with a human greeting, showing his open palm, extended to shake. Again he was reminded of his lack of Vyrusher knowledge, and hoped it was not an insult to address the jiro in this manner.

"I appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to meet with me. I'll try not to take up too much of your time."

Taking a seat across from Thanos, Bastian looked the man in the eyes, and tried to convey the feeling of sincerity, and humbleness that he truly felt.

"I have been remiss in my attentions to the pack, and have come to offer myself in whatever capacity might be needed, as well as to provide you with some information I recently came across, and to seek your guidance in other matters."

An apology, an offer of service, and information, as well as a request. It was a meger beginning, but Bastian could only do, what he could do, and try to build on that.
Thanos 15 years ago
Thanos grasped the offered hand and gave a firm shake, glad that this newer Vyusher had made it this evening.

“Good evening – I'd heard you might be stopping by. Bastian?”

Hoping he had the right guy, he leaned forward, elbows on knees, and nodded for him to go on, unconcerned with how long it took. It was clear from the getgo that Bastian was still getting comfortable in his new skin – at least in terms of the pack. Thanos recalled that it had taken him just as long to adjust to the Vyusher R'asa way of life as it had to accept becoming a wolf. In some ways it was probably easier to orient yourself consecutively rather than concurrently.

“These things happen in their own way and time. Your family is here when you are ready for them.”

Thanos took even the smallest concern seriously, but this conversation seemed especially significant – they had much to discuss. Rising to his feet, he asked a nearby child, in his accented Romani, to mind his guitar. Then he switched back to English to extend his invitation.

“You have a lot on your mind.” Don't we all. “Why don't we walk, and you can tell me more.”

Thanos was not concerned with prying ears – he wanted to walk simply because that was what Vyusher did when there was anything serious to discuss. They met outside, they took a walk, and at the end something was decided, resolved, concluded. It had been a long time since that behavior seemed strange to him; he was more acclimated to his pack than even he realized.

“Start with what you know – we can go from there.”

They had to start somewhere and it seemed easiest to get the concrete stuff out of the way. There were many pathways through the gardens and beyond. They could easily let their feet take them where they would.
Bastian 15 years ago
It didn't take Bastian long to understand why this man held the position he had. Even though he had just met Thanos, Bastian could sense wisdom, patience, and authority...things that he felt encompassed a good leader.

He also appreciated that Thanos chose to remove themselves from the festivities to speak more openly in a less visible, and to Bastian, a less vulnerable setting. The Vyrusher were his family, and he believed this completely, yet that didn't mean he trusted them all outright. It took more to earn Bastian's trust.

"What I know...I know that I am a sorry excuse for a Vyrusher, and want to work extensively to change that. I am going to look for someone to offer me physical training...I'm not a small man by any means, but I've seen bigger, and know I have weaknesses, and vulnerabilities that I must do something to overcome.

I also want to learn more about what I can do for the pack. Is there any special position, or duty that needs someone to attend to? I am not proud...anything that would benefit the pack would be worth me doing."

This wasn't the specific reason Bastian had sought council with the Jiro, but that didn't mean what he said was a lie either. He really did want to learn more about the pack, help out in any way he could, as well as bulk himself up. The latter reminded him of his agenda.

"But there are other matters that I really need to discuss, and seek guidance on."

The walk was a good idea as it did help Bastian keep his thoughts focused, and the sense of freedom kept him settled as well. The subject matter he was leading into was one that almost immediately set his blood boiling.

"Jiro...what do you know of any other packs in Nachton...or any rogue weres? I came across a rather large were recently, and didn't recall seeing him among any of the Vyrusher, in my few visits."

Bastian looked to the older man, and tried to determine if his words had impacted the man at all.

"I have reasons to believe this man has less than honorable motives for being around my girlfriend's house, and I'd like to find out what they are...but am at a loss as to how I begin to go about that."

It had taken Bastian years to find out about the were who turned him, and what little he knew about werewolves in general. And that had been before he got back together with Reign. He now had her to both worry about, and enjoy time with...he didn't want to risk things now when he might have then. He didn't want to lose anymore time, if he didn't have to.

"I came face to face with this were a few nights back. I found he had been stalking my girlfriend's home, and while I was there he reappeared. We got into a pissing match, so to speak, and I believe if my girlfriend hadn't thought of a way to break us up, I might not be standing here today. This was a BIG one, Jiro...and strong...and why I need to find a better way to defend myself, and protect mine."

His eyes had been focused on a point just beyond his nose...where he really saw nothing but the thoughts in his head. He now looked back to Thanos, hoping the man would have the words to ease Bastian's concerns.
Thanos 15 years ago
Thanos was of the opinion that Bastian knew best what kind of Vyusher he was, and therefore did not argue with any of his packmate’s statements. He did think he could be of help in moving forward, though, and as that was really what mattered, he took his comments in that direction.

“Sometimes Legionnaires will offer their services in training, to make a little money or good will on the side. A small group meets on Saturday mornings at the field for target practice – that might be another option. Don’t worry about weapons - we have some who are. Ah. Enthusiastic about such things.”

The fun and games that had started with just the twins and Misha had become a quite popular event. Vyusher of all skill levels showed up to shoot clay pigeons and sink knives into sand filled dummies. A violent pastime to be sure, but unifying.

“I am thankful for your offer of assistance to the pack – we need every pair of hands in these challenging times.” Trying not to grimace at how naturally he had slid into a polititian’s speech, he corrected his course and went back to speaking more naturally. “The Vyusher R’asa consider infiltrating the city, gaining influence, power, property, wealth, to be among our highest priorities. We are working on getting one of our own appointed to the Bench, and already have a few packmates in the Nachton police force. We have friends in the media outlets, but we need more. I don’t know what your connections might be, but anything that you think might help would be well received.

And then of course there are internal positions. Clerical, mostly, but very much necessary to the work we do. And then again, there are some who simply go about their lives and contribute by being there when we need them. Offering up a place to stay for a person we’re moving. Delivering a message during their travels. If you’re willing, we’ll put you on a list. You will find that your pack will be grateful for these small favors.”

Not being certain of what Bastian might be interested in doing for the pack, Thanos had offered up some safe directions to consider. This one didn’t strike him as the type to eagerly jump into the darker sides of their exploits right away – the Jiro thought a slow introduction might be best – but if he was eager to prove himself and could be counted on, the pack could certainly use him. Perhaps even moreso than a ‘shoot them all’ type, at this point.

He left his musings at Bastian’s next remarks, though, knitting his eyebrows together as his packmate gave his accounting. Giving a displeased grunt, he pulled out a cigarette and put it between his lips, but did not light it. Instead, he held it between his two fingers while he pondered the implications of this story.

“Big. And all one color?” There was no reason to play that game – Thanos knew exactly who this must be. He muttered the name, darkly. “Kadziat.” His lip curled up into a sneer, but he kept his temper, realizing that Bastian had no idea.

“A rogue were is…” impossible “…very unlikely.” Uncomfortable even thinking about a were leaving their pack, he went on. “No, there is another pack, not our enemy but not our friend. At this time it is in our mutual best interest to keep the peace.” He paused, thinking. This would have to be handled delicately, and Bastian’s story could be made to look like just about anything. “Your girlfriend – she is still living at her house? This other were did not drive her away? And has she been followed, watched, in other places?” Making a quick decision, he continued. “I will take this to the Kadziat, the other pack. But I must know as much as possible. And then I would ask that you trust me. This must be handled with discretion.”

For everyone’s sake, he hoped this was all a particularly physical misunderstanding. He shuddered to think what would happen if Etta got a hold of this particular piece of information – there would be no end to her overreaction. In short, the Savia would be pissed.

“This girlfriend – you are…” how to ask this? “…you are sure of her?”
Bastian 15 years ago
Thanos had given Bastian a lot to think about, but a couple of the wiser Vyusher's ideas rang more true than others for him.

So concerned was he, to make amends for the past, and his lack of becoming one with the pack, Bastian was ready to volunteer for everything. He could buy more land, and offer it up for pack use. He had his eye on some acreage just northeast of what he owned now, along the ocean...maybe now would be the time to go after it.

"I have been lucky enough to secure several acres of land in Nachton, and right now, aside from my home, business, and a few horses, I'd gladly avail them to the pack for whatever they deem necessary. I was also considering buying a few more of the adjacent acres along the east side of my property, up along the coast. I think I'll go ahead with that now, and add it to my offering."

The truth was he had held off on going after that extra land until he knew for sure Reign was back in his life. At the time he made the original purchase things were still up in the air. Bastian knew the land would only increase in value, and however much he bought it was a sound investment, but chose to use a little restraint back then. Since his relationship with Reign was no longer in question, and if it had the potential to aid the pack in anyway, it made sense to proceed.

Then too, though it wasn't like he was friends with the Pope, or anything, he had met some influential people since arriving in Nachton.

"I have also met one or two people...people who might know the right people... since opening my practice...even those in positions of power have pets."

He chuckled at the idea of just what kinds of pets some of the local celebrities owned, yet was immensely grateful they had sought him out when they needed help with their sick animals.

The editor-in-chief for the Nachton paper had become a regular customer once Bastian had successfully removed a tumor from his prized great dane's neck. Though the tumor hadn't been life threatening yet, had Bastian not removed it, complications could have killed the dog eventually.

"I'm not sure how that could help, but if the need arises, you can call on me."

The other options were considered, and when Thanos spoke of Bastian possibly fostering those in need, he immediately agreed. It was something he would talk to Reign about, but thought of her house as serving that sort of purpose. It would be a way for her to keep the place, and yet have it inhabited, to ward off vandals. It might also be another way to get her to move in with him permanently. He knew she had been getting a lot closer to Kem and Aishe, and with them being neighbors in town was convenient. But he didn't see how any of these changes would have reason to effect that relationship at all.

"I can offer safe harbor to those who need it, and will gladly add my name to that list as well."

On the off chance that Reign nixed the idea of using her house this way, Bastian was already thinking up other options. He just hoped that wouldn't be necessary. However, Bastian felt much better to now have objectives mapped out between him and the pack, and was quite relieved, and thankful that he had met with the Jiro tonight.

His relief was rattled a little when the subject of the other werewolf was discussed. Yet his relief extended there too, since sharing something of this magnitude not only shifted a little of the responsibility, but gave him an avenue to locate more information, or so he hoped.

"Kadziat? Ah, Kadziat." He shook his head in understanding. He had ever heard of the Kadziat but another pack wasn't completely surprising. Bastian wasn't anywhere near vain, or self-centered enough to expect his pack was that unique.

"No, I didn't really think it was a rogue. Even with the little I know of our kind, I was fairly certain rogues were scarce to none."

Bastian could tell Thanos had no love lost for this other pack, and was slightly disappointed to hear that the Vyrusher were doing their best to co-exist. Not sure what he had hoped, a small part of Bastian had considered the possibility of his pack running the other pack off, and far away from Nachton. Perhaps if he had met others of the Kadziat, and not one who showed an interest in Reign... But he had to trust that those above him knew what they were doing.

"Keep your friends close, and not quite enemies closer?"

He couldn't help it but the dislike he had for this other were was too strong to ignore completely. His skills in diplomacy could use some work, and he knew this. He was learning, but it was a timely process.

"Reign...my girlfriend...she's been living out at my ranch for the most part, though she does still visit her home in town. I'm trying to convince her to rent it out, and with the needs of the pack I think I may be able to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. It might do nicely as a safe haven, if needed."

Bastian could already see images of that damned Kadziat coming face to face with two or more Vyrusher, should he come stalking again.

"I'm not sure if she's been followed elsewhere, though I'm sure my place is clean of any other were scent. I've been trying to keep track of her comings and goings, but...well, if you knew her... The last thing I want is for her to find out I've been tailing her, and think I don't trust her."

Bastian chuckled, and hoped Thanos didn't interpret this as a sign that Reign ran roughshod over him. Truly, in his mind anyway, they had a good, equal partnership, and if he did find the need to follow her about, he knew he would feel guilty, and wind up telling her anyway. It went against the way their relationship had been forged to try and take control over her now.

"I do trust you, Jiro, and will wait to hear how you need me to proceed, if at all. However, I must tell you that Reign's welfare will always come first, and if I see she is in danger I will do whatever I must to protect her."

That was not a subject open to negotiation, but Bastian hoped Thanos understood. If the man had ever loved...he understood.

"I'm as sure of her as I am myself. Reign can be trusted. She is my...mate, and while she is head strong, and opinionated, she is intelligent, and loyal as well." He stopped before he added that he had hopes that one day she might become part of them...the Vyusher. He stopped not only because it was not his place to offer up such ideas, but also because it was a new idea that he hadn't thought through yet. In fact the idea was so new, Bastian felt very uncomfortable thinking it, and pushed it away.

His shoulders felt a good deal lighter now that he had shared his fear with someone else...someone who had the power to handle it. And even though he now had new ideas to ponder, he felt better able to do just that. He had never fared well whenever he felt his future was disorganized, and unclear. Having an agenda now resolved that, and would allow him the ability to get back to living.
Thanos 15 years ago
Bastian’s generosity was music to Thanos’s ears, in no small part because it would be good news to take back to the Savia. He hoped his packmate had not felt pressured by his suggestions – it seemed that Bastian was quite comfortable setting his own boundaries, and he –had- wanted to help. Thanos decided not to worry about it, for now, but to make sure anything he asked for help with was above-board.

“You are most generous. Be assured, this will be remembered.”

Bastian went on to discuss his connections - Thanos wondered what amused his packmate so, but concluded that the rich and powerful were humorous enough all on their own.

“Your practice.” He blinked. Had he known? “Of course, yes, forgive me.” Deciding he needed a smoke to clear his head, he pulled out a cigarette and held it between his fingers, waiting for a lull to light it. It just kept coming – land, influence, an important and useful career – and above all, availability. He wondered if things relating to Bastian’s practice were out of bounds. The potential was downright frightening when he thought about it. Prescription medicine, a legitimate front for all sorts of trafficking, not to mention secret medical care…oh, Bastian could fall in deep and never even realize until it was too late, with that open handed generosity of his. Thanos didn’t want to see that happen – he’d seen what the Vyusher R’asa could do to you, even as he saw what they could do –for- you. No, what was best for the back was to keep this veterinarian squeaky clean, totally legitimate. That was the end goal, after all – true, legitimate power that the world, vampires, humans, everyone, would have no choice but to acknowledge. They couldn’t be dealers and thugs forever. Thanos sincerely hoped he was a dying breed, that people like Bastian were the true future of the pack.

Realizing he’d neglected to light his cigarette, he decided to hold out a little longer, the better to continue the conversation.

“I will see to it that you are put on the list immediately. You have the thanks of a grateful pack, Bastian. I hope you understand that there is much Vyusher can offer you, should you have need of anything. Everything from moral support to financial backing.”

On the subject of the Kadziat, he could only hope he had adequately explained the nuanced relationship the two packs had. “Hmm, ‘not quite enemies’. Yes. The Kadziat are not the enemy we should be concerned with, but they are also not our allies, and must be watched.” His lip curled into a sneer. “Their presence in Nachton is interference enough.” He nodded to himself, and continued – there was no point in dwelling on hard feelings. “But. You were not hurt? And your woman is fine? This is an important point - ” He stopped, then tried again. “But of course, you know this – who is it more important to than you? What I meant was that you and your girlfriend’s well being will decide what sort of confrontation I am to have with the Kadziat.” He stopped walking then and turned, peering closely at Bastian. “You understand that all of our powers are not physical – it is the same for the Kadziat. If one of theirs is terrorizing an innocent woman’s mind…”

You knew things weren’t entirely under control, Thanos mused, when you worried more about a certain Savia’s reaction than the initial action.

“The point is, your pack, ah…’has your back’,” he managed awkwardly, the unfamiliar expression coming woodenly out of his mouth. “As the young folks say.”

He grunted, almost a chuckle, at Bastian’s description, and was tempted to say that while he did not know this Reign, he knew women well enough to understand. It felt untrue, though, as soon as it passed through his mind. He didn’t understand women at all. And he understood only just enough about men - enough to understand that this one was in love. While he wasted no sentimentality on that thought, he did repress his instinctive cynicism long enough to observe that the man seemed to at least be keeping ahead of his feelings.

“You’ll protect your family. We understand such things.”

“Yet she is not Vyusher.” Yet. Thanos fell quiet for a long moment before continuing. “You have not asked my advice in this – you seem to know your own mind where your woman is concerned – so I will only say this: if that should change, if she were to become one of us, she would be welcomed. Please, don’t take that as council.” He grimaced – his version of a self deprecating grin. “Merely a statement. Vyusher believe in families. And then, a trustworthy human is rare and valuable.”

Perhaps it was wrong of him to want to present his views before the less…enlightened had their say. There would be some who would object to any relationship with an outsider, and others who would see a union between two Nothos Vyusher as an excellent way to increase legitimacy and prestige, especially if there were children involved. Thanos wanted to ensure that Bastian got to hear their true core values before individual philosophies came in and muddied the waters. Doubtless his would not be the last unsolicited comment.

His cigarette rested, forgotten, against his thigh.
Bastian 15 years ago
How surprisingly well Bastian was feeling, after letting down his guard with his Jiro, and finding he did have a valuable place in the pack after all. Though he had always wanted a family of his own, it was just now becoming apparent that this was something he wanted to give top priority to now.

He waved off the compliment on his generosity, having never really felt comfortable for giving something he had so much of, and always had. He was just thrilled to know he could really do something worthwhile for the pack.

"This meeting today, now, has given me more than I can tell you. Suffice to say, I think I may be getting more out of this arrangement than you might think."

As Thanos spoke of the Kadziat, and Bastian thought of the other werewolf, he focused on what it might have been about that other wolf that rubbed him the wrong way, and wondered if Thanos had experienced anything similar.

"No, nothing as specific as blatant terrorism, at least not that I've witnessed. However that does stir up some other questions you might have experience with.

Some might see my attitude toward this Kadzait as unjustified, almost to the point of undefined obsession...I might even categorize it as such, if I let myself. It's almost like he may have done something to me in a prior life, as crazy as that sounds."

And now that he had put words to it, that was exactly how Bastian felt about the were. Aside from the fact that he was seriously concerned for Reign's welfare, he knew it did go beyond just worry for her safety, and now he had figured out just how far beyond.

"Do you believe in reincarnation...though even if you did, it would probably be harder than hell to prove..."

Bastian focused on the path ahead, and felt some of his old frustrations returning.