Role Reversal (Private: Attn Nic)

It was a fine turn of events when you had spent the last several years giving advice, only to come to the realization that you were desperately in need of some yourself. This was what had convinced Kem to make the arduous journey up seven repulsive flights of stairs to Nic's floor in Liefde. He remembered leading the younger vampire up this same staircase in the not too distant past, the first time in their association he'd ever had occasion to give Nic any advice.

Come to think of it, he hadn't been very helpful. Perhaps with the situations reversed he'd get the better end of the bargain. Kem's problem was fairly specific, and when it finally came down to it, he realized nothing in his past had truly prepared him for anything like this, and he sorely needed the opinion of a friend with experience in these matters.

These matters, of course, being things related to the female of the species. He had questions - a LOT of questions. And while he had no doubts that he could simply ask Aishe directly without repercussions, they were the sort of questions he wanted to keep her ignorant of, for the time being.

So up he went, so distracted that he completely forgot his usual style of "dropping in" on Nic, which generally consisted of evilly surprising him by striking up a conversation directly into his head. In fact, he didn't realize it until he was standing in front of Nic's door with his hand raised.

Was it too late for a do-over? Probably. With a sigh he knocked on the door; not forcefully, but loud enough to be heard. He hoped he wasn't interrupting anything.

Nicholae 15 years ago
Having finished his routine workout, something he'd only recently got back into, Nic returned home to shower. While he would have like a massage first, he was finicky about who he had giving him rubdowns, and had yet to find someone with decent hands. Not that he had really had time to spend looking. The realization that life in Nachton was destined to be eventful was now understood. There had been more pressing issues to deal with recently. Having a state-of-the-art shower system installed was nearly as good anyway.

Once the strong, hot jets of water did their job, Nic stepped out and began toweling off. Still slightly damp, and dripping in spots, he glanced at his reflection in the mirror. Satisfied that his body remained taut, with muscles defined, he smiled and finished drying. Tossing the towel over the shower door, knowing the maid would take care of it later, he started for the closet to dress. His steps and focus were stopped at the knock on his door.

"Just a second!"

He yelled in response and stood looking at his closet door, then back to the towel hanging in the bath...the towel won. Grabbing it from where it hung, Nic wrapped it tightly around his waist. The distance to the entry door was reached in seconds, and though he was not inhibited at all by his state of dress...or undress, he cautiously opened the door.

"Kem! Kem? Jeez Kem...I don't think you've ever come up here unannounced...or willingly, for that matter. Come in! Come in...how are you doing old man?"

The shock of seeing his friend was diminished by his delight, and Nic reached around Kem's shoulders to give the man a half hug, as he ushered him inside.

Not known for being terribly astute, Nic wasn't a complete dolt, and knew something out of the ordinary had to be going on. The importance of Kem's visit wasn't lost on him at all. However, since it was Kem, and not Livia, or someone equally sweet, Nic figured it would be better to continue the visit dressed.

"Can you excuse me for just a moment, while I throw something on? Have a seat, or help yourself to a drink...be right back."

Another friendly clap on Kem's back, and Nic made a dash to his bedroom.

"You do know of course...I don't think you've ever visited me without a ... 'warning' before. You okay, man?"

Nic continued his welcoming conversation by yelling from the bedroom. Sometimes Kem was a bit on the uptight and uneasy side, and Nic wanted to try and make him feel otherwise, if it was the case.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Apparently he was interrupting, although by Nic's state his shower was mostly done. Kem simply went along though, since before he could offer to come back later he was being hugged enthusiastically and ushered inside.

Amused by Nic's flurry of activity, and by the fact that apparently his pre-visit-sending had been missed, Kem made his way to the living room and leaned quite casually against the wall. Never one for yelling unnecessarily, he figured he may as well continue the conversation as was natural for him.

[Better late than never,] he sent from where he was. [I was distracted and I forgot to even check with you first. I'm sorry.]

Even talking mind-to-mind, as it were, he imagined the irony of his next statement would not be lost on Nic. [It turns out I really need some advice, and you're the only person I thought of who might be able to give it. If you don't mind, that is.]
Nicholae 15 years ago
Standing between his walk-in-closet, and the bedroom, Nic was in the process of zipping his jeans when the message came in through his mind, instead of his ears. Thankfully he missed zipping up some important bits, and righted himself quickly.

[No...no worries...no plans, nothing disturbed.] Pulling a silk polo shirt from a hanger, Nic slid it over his head, and pulled it loose from a damp spot on his back, flipping the light switch off in the closet, to turn and re-enter the livingroom.

"Advice? From me? Kem...what HAVE you done, old man?"

Nic teased, walking into the kitchen, and grabbing a couple beers from the fridge. One he handed to Kem, and the other he popped the top off before flopping down in one of the two easy chairs in the room.

"Seriously, you know I'd never mind being of any help to you that I can be. Why don't you have a seat and fill me in?"

He couldn't stop his mind from racing over a myriad of topics he imagined Kem might want assistance with...motorcycles. buying real estate, investing...though none of the topics seemed to ring true.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem accepted the beer from Nic with a nod and followed suit, occupying the second chair. He flashed his quick grin at Nic. "I haven't 'gotten into' anything much. Nothing on your scale, anyhow. And at the same time, I think I'm in way over my head."

That was the best way he could describe it, but it wouldn't do Nic any good unless he elaborated. Considering it for a moment, he finally said, "Basically, you're the only one I know who has any experience with women whatsoever. Everything I know is about sixteen hundred years out of date."

Kem gave a helpless little shrug. He wasn't even sure how to broach this topic. "Aishe and I have been living together for a while now, and well... you know how it goes. Sharing the same living space, the same bed... and all."

Leaning forward and propping his elbows on his knees, he said, "I think she's happy. Check that - I know she's happy. So am I. Only, I'm not used to this sort of thing. I'm not used to having someone there all the time, and not used to the idea that, well... I'm not married to her."

Belatedly Kem realized Nic might not expactly understand where he was coming from. Kem's relationships with women were nonexistent, and the only one he'd ever had had been a marriage. He didn't think Nic had ever been married, but he knew for sure the younger man knew his way around the bedroom. So, he sought to elaborate further.

"It feels wrong, somehow. Like I'm taking advantage of her. I want her to know that's not the case, but how am I supposed to do that?"
Nicholae 15 years ago
Nic had to laugh initially, unable to imagine his friend pulling anything like he'd personally done himself. He sobered up quickly though, once he heard the reason for Kem's visit. Women.

Nic studied Kem over the mouth of his beer bottle, sipping in between random nods. Nic had met Aishe, and liked her, both for herself as a woman, and because he had seen how taken Kem was with her. Anyone who could contribute to his closest friend's happiness was aces in Nic's book. Aside from that, Nic had seen Aishe under some very harsh circumstances, and now knew her to be a strong, and resilient woman. As of yet, there was nothing about the woman he could find fault with.

Nothing Kem was saying sounded anything but normal to Nic. Kem loved Aishe, they were living together, everything sounded as it should. That was until the subject of marriage came up, and Nic could see it seemed to play a large part in Kem's unease.

Yet Nic remained quiet, wanting to hear the full story before offering any responses. When the lull came, Nic wasted no time speaking his part.

"Wrong? Good god man, you two are in love, and are sharing that with each other, how...no what could ever be wrong with that?"

Another swallow of beer, and Nic put his bottle on the table in front of him, assuming a position much like Kem, and peering at the many across from him.

"Hell man, I know you're a few hundred years older than I am, but certainly men and women weren't always married back in your day."

The words halted there, while Nic had a thought, and then began again.

"Morally...times have changed. Its not even thought of in today's world...people live together all the time without being married, and no one thinks the worse of either of them."

Again he paused, but only for a second or two, as his mind shifted gears.

"As for taking advantage of her...granted, I sure don't know Aishe like you do, but something tells me she'd be one of the last people to allow anyone to take advantage of her. Have the two of you talked about this at all? Has she given you any reason to think she feels taken advantage of? If she says she's happy, why do you question it man? Dude, it sounds like you're looking for trouble, when its no where around you?"

Nic refrained from even grinning now, though it was a slight battle not to. He admired Kem above all others, yet found this small softness in the man's character both quaint, and cute. And in a way, it made Kem even that much more endearing to Nic, seeing this part of him that had questions about the most basic of things.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Even through his struggle not to smile, it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what Nic was hiding. Kem jabbed a finger at him with a smile of his own. "Stop laughing, you."

Was Nic right though? Was he really looking for trouble? Fixing his thoughts in place he tried to explain his own perspective further. "I suppose it's not that it feels wrong as in... amoral. Well - maybe some of that."

He pondered it for a second more. "I've already taken things away from her without meaning to. Aishe wasn't supposed to end up this way." He waved his hand, gesturing to Nic, and to himself. "She was supposed to have a husband, a family. If she hadn't met me that's exactly what she would have done. And I can't give any of it back. I know it was her choice, but part of me wonders if she really understands, fully and completely, what she gave up when she became one of us."

He furrowed his brow, running his finger around the edge of the beer bottle. "What can I do to give some of it back to her? She has no guarantees from me, except for what I say and what I do. When I was alive, and married, there were things that tied us together. Children, for one... marriage itself, for another. I can't give Aishe the one, and the other - well it seems a little hypocritical."

Kem ran his hand through his hair, which immediately fell back into his face. "I guess I'm trying to figure out how to give her something more tangible than a promise."
Nicholae 15 years ago
Though not quite as astute as some, Nic did have decent street smarts, and along with that, enough common sense to get him through the past several hundred years. Further, he did have a lot of experience with women, by almost anyone's standards. However, when it came to morality, though he could usually identify it, he wasn't one who practiced it much.

Not that he went out of his way to be immoral...rather he just didn't think about things that way.

Therefore, he felt sorely lacking in discussing it.

"First off, how do you know Aishe would have wound up with a 'normal' family, if she hadn't met up with you? You hiding more powers from me?" Nic's question was legit, even if his delivery was a bit teasing.

"You may have wanted that for her, but obviously it wasn't what she wanted...and isn't that really what you should be concerned with? If you love her, and want her happy, and she says she is with you, then...?"

It appeared Kem had already reached that conclusion, but now had other issues.

"You're losing me a little here, pal. She gives you love, and her life to share, and you can't reciprocate? Harsh as it might sound, but what's done is done, and if she didn't realize what her choices meant beforehand, surely she's realized it by now. Your Aishe is a smart one, Kem...I think you need to trust her on this, because if you don't you're liable to get her riled up...and I've seen her a little riled up...I'm not sure the world could handle her REALLY riled up."

His attempt at keeping the conversation light, he hoped, might have a similar effect on Kem's overall mood about this topic. The sod was one lucky guy, in Nic's opinion, and should just be enjoying life.

"As for you, I'd bet she'd be over the moon if you just gave back the love she's giving you. As for guarantees...who has those in any aspect of our life. Hell, we can't even say it exists in 'death and taxes'."

Nic smirked at that old saying, and shook his head.

"Marry her if its what you want...its a nice ceremony, and a way of publicly telling someone what they should already know...that you will love them forever. 'Forever' makes me want to shudder some, but I have had glimpses of the possibility, and can certainly see it for others. How is it you feel its hypocritical?"

A brief vision of Livia crossed Nic's mind, and was accompanied by bittersweet memories, and thoughts of a life together, though short-lived. In all Nic's life, she was the only woman he had ever entertained even the most remote idea of wedding. But that wasn't why he was here now...

Nodding his head this time, Nic raised his beer to drink.

"Yep...you've got it bad Kem...sounds like marriage might be the only solution at this point."
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Sometimes it took exactly what Nic was saying to get things through Kem's skull. He knew he shouldn't be stressing over things like this. Nic was right, Aishe knew what she was doing. She always did. He'd rarely ever seen her make an uninformed decision.

"I'm not saying I can't reciprocate. I just feel like I should be doing more somehow." Maybe that was the crux of it. "I guess I'm paranoid. I've made such a mess of things up to this point, I don't want to drop the ball. I want her to know exactly what she means and how much I love her."

He gave a dry laugh. "But you're right. Maybe I should just lay back and enjoy it, and not go overboard."

Marriage though? "You don't think it's hypocritical to partake in a ceremony that clearly hinges on spending the rest of our natural lives together?"

Irony and sarcasm were two of Kem's best friends. He could recognize them here, quite readily. "I know the concept is outdated, but how can I claim to have a valid marriage with anyone when the vows were faulty to begin with?"

He shook his head. "No, I don't think we could ever be married. Not in the religious sense of the word. Ugh, but even with a legal affair her family would want a ceremony. And all the bells and whistles. I mean, they think we're alive. And normal."

Grumbling to himself, he finally said, "See what I mean? This is way more complicated than it ought to be."
Nicholae 15 years ago
"You can't help it Kem. You're a logical man, who's lived his life trying to do what's best. In our situation, without thinking further, I think you should throw logic out the window. I mean...are 'we' logical?"

Once again tonight Nic found himself talking about things he really didn't understand well, but accepted because...well, because he had little choice otherwise.
He knew he lived, when he shouldn't, and that right there had kept him up many nights in the past, before he decided it was just more trouble than it was worth, and let all the 'whys and wherefores' go. He was a vampire, and would always be a vampire, and might or might not live for always, depending on his fate. Did it really matter why, or how?

"I'm not saying you can't do whatever is in your power to thank Aishe for loving you...hell, shower her with diamonds, or fancy houses, or...those artifacts you two seem to enjoy dwelling on..." Nic laughed as he had visions of both Kem and Aishe dusting off old relics in some dark cave with tiny paint brushes, and head lamps.

"But try not to mess it up, if its what YOU want."

Nic really didn't have any doubts, and though he felt he knew Kem fairly well, or better than most others who had been in Nic's life, there was still small room for error.

Seeing Kem was hung up on marriage, though for reasons Nic was having a difficult time relating to, he became serious again. He knew now he was out of his depth, but continued to believe whatever had to be done to keep these two together, had to be done.

"I must admit, I'm not a religious man, and never have been. I guess I believe in a devine being, but beyond that I really have no opinion on those kinds of things. I've always lived my life just fine without relying on religion for anything, and don't see much reason to change now.

Having said that, I can't believe either of you would let those kinds of details keep you apart either. If a ceremony would make things more difficult for you, and you don't have the need to fulfill any legal or religious issues, maybe living together is the way to go."

Nic could see he wasn't really being much help, and was a little irritated with himself for failing Kem. Finally having the chance to give something back to his friend, and here he was at a loss.

"Yea...it does sound a little more involved than just registering at a china shop, and buying a ring."
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem was silent, listening to Nic as he brainstormed along with him.

"Trying not to mess things up is what seems to mess things up when I'm involved," he said finally. "Believe me, I'm definitely trying not to mess anything up!"

Religion... the topic made him shake his head. "I have a cynical streak ten miles wide when it comes to religion," Kem admitted. "Maybe that's what makes me hesitate about marriage. I suppose I could go the subtle, sneaky route and just sign the paper and mail it back to the court."

Wheels were turning now though. "I hadn't really thought about buying her anything. I can't think of anything I could buy her that would have the right effect. Things like that are lost on Aishe. It would have to be small, and have some sort of value beyond what's monetary."

It was about when Nic mentioned rings and china shops that Kem perked up. "A ring. That's small, and symbolic. There doesn't need to be a ceremony, or even a wedding at all, does there? She'll have it as a symbol of intent and that's the important part, right?"
Nicholae 15 years ago
Yes, listening to Kem sum up the discussion didn't give Nic any better feelings on his participation. Too bad there wasn't some lovelorn column that addressed vampires and their specific needs of the heart...besides the filling it with blood, and keeping it away from stakes, he mused.

Then all at once everything seemed to be solved, by the simplest of feats.

"Sure, a ring, that's the ticket. Maybe something with those hyroglipthingies on it, that says something special just the two of you know. I, personally always have better luck with nice sized diamonds, but hey, if she's happy with something small and gold, or brass...why not? This is pretty much all for her, right? You do seem to have your feelings down pretty good."

It was somewhat surprising to think that what had started out as a bit of a huge sounding problem, could be so easily solved with a small band of metal. Nic decided to file away that tidbit, on the off chance that some day he might be faced with some similar event. Not that he was a tightwad, and in fact had no problem spending money at all. But if something of this stature could be handled in such a simple way, it sure seemed the way to go.

"Now the problem remains...what kind of ring are you going to get her?"
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
The solution was, indeed, simple. A ring was small enough, yet utterly symbolic of his intent. Aishe did have a romantic streak... she would appreciate it. It was almost time to start celebrating until Nic asked his next question.

"What... kind?"

Deer in headlights came to mind. "Uh. A round one. About yea big." He made a little circle with his thumb and forefinger.

"What do you know about rings?"
Nicholae 15 years ago
For a moment, caught up in the excitement of having Kem's problem solved, and then the confusion of the subsequent problem, Nic just stared at the man in front of him.

"I know this is gold, and it would be way too big for your Aishe's finger...and that, is about as much as I know."

He held up his own ring finger, where he wore a simple band of 24kt gold, that once held a rather ornate carving that had been worn smooth over the hundreds of years he had worn it.
It was the only thing he owned with any historical sentimental value, and had been a gift from Iuliana. That he was wearing it now was not unusual, since he couldn't remember the last time he'd ever taken it off. It was as much a part of him now as his eyes, and fingers were.

"Well, I also know that rings do come in various metals...gold, silver, platinum...brass, of course, but I would imagine Aishe would warrant gold or platinum at the very least. And you can have any number of gems installed in the metal...diamonds, rubies, emeralds, saphiires...well, hey there, I guess I do know a little something afterall."

Nic chuckled in jest, knowing full well that was it for him on the subject.

"I think your best bet is to find out what Aishe likes. That would be the safest way to go anyway. Although it seems like most women I've known won't really care what the ring is made of...they just get all mushy over the fact that you gave them a ring at all..."
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem growled at Nic in mock frustration. "Verrrrry funny. I suppose I asked for a taste of my own medicine didn't I."

That was exactly what he'd have done to Nic had their situations been reversed; he couldn't help giving Nic credit for it.

"Something small, but good. She'd rather have quality over quantity."

Standing, he polished off the rest of the beer. "You don't have to walk me through this part," he said with a grin. "Not unless you've got an irresistable urge to go ring shopping, which is what I am about to do."

Nic's company would be more than welcome, of course, but Kem couldn't imagine this kind of thing was all -that- appealing. He probably would have found any number of excuses to avoid jewelry shopping, except that the object of the shopping was, of course, his own Aishe.
Nicholae 15 years ago
Almost before Kem skirted the idea, Nic was shaking his head, and finishing his own beer.

"You know Kem...I'd do almost anything in the world for ya man, and if I knew the first thing about rings, I wouldn't hesitate, but I'm afraid I'm going to need to back off on this one."

He held out his free hand to take the empty bottle from his friend, and turned toward the kitchen.

"I do have a wiz of a buyer though that I'd be happy to call for you. So far she's been great picking up just the kinds of things I've asked her for, and usually gets the best quality for a good price. She's in England at the moment, but I know she could pull up local jewelers to direct you to, if you need?"

It wasn't much, but Nic hoped if Kem wanted the assistance he would let Nic do at least this much for him. Then again...it was just a ring...how difficult could it be to walk into a store, look around, and find something his lady would like?

"Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best old friend. I have to admit I'm a bit tickled by this side of you. Who would have thought those old dusty bones of yours had so much life left in them."

Nic laughed heartily, and clasped Kem's shoulder again upon his return to the livingroom.

"And listen, don't be such a stranger next time...anytime I can be of help, you know I'm here for you."
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem hadn't expected Nic to want to come. That was fine, he was planning to be finicky anyway.

"I think I'll see what I can find on my own first, but I'll take you up on it if panic sets in, or if I just can't get it right."

Kem shook his head at Nic. "One of these days those old jokes are going to get you in trouble."

He wasn't sure what kind of trouble... he was pretty sure Nic had been through every possible time.

"Course if they do I'll bail you back out again. Thanks for letting me sound off on you... I appreciate it."

With that he was on his way out, distracted air still intact but this time, hopefully, with a goal to reach.

((ooc: Kem out!))
Nicholae 15 years ago
Shortly after Nic had met Kem, he had decided the elder was a good guy, and someone Nic wanted in his corner. Kem made it very easy to like him, and Nic was now just as thankful as he had been in the past to have such a friend. If he had been even the slightest bit of help to Kem, Nic was satisfied.

"It my jokes are the worst trouble I get into now, I'll be doing great, wouldn't you say?"

Yes, Kem was a friend, and one who had done more than his fair share of bailing out Nic during his short life in Nachton.

"No problem at all Kem. I really wish you luck in finding just what you want Aishe to have, and congratulations on your new partner in crime."

Nic shut the door behind Kem, after watching the man walk down the hall. It was impressive to some degree that Kem wasn't shaking and sweating bullets, with his fear of height and all. Maybe Aishe was having an even more profound effect on his mentor. Shrugging to himself, Nic turned in the livingroom, and stood still for a scant few seconds before making his way to the phone.

He hadn't spoken to Livia in ages, and was growing a bit concerned with her absence. He really missed her, and was hoping to see her again soon. Perhaps he'd catch her in now, and they could meet for dinner.

The phone rang.

(Nic Out)