Is it just me or is this.... creepy?

She’d gone out hunting, something that Pak had always preferred be a private solitary activity. It was also an activity that took her to some questionable areas of town. Having spent years, more than she cared to remember, as a prostitute Pak still occasionally found her meals among those of the world’s oldest profession. They didn’t ask questions, it was just kinky and she paid enough to give her meals several nights off so it was all very mutually beneficial.

Well it was until the T-Bird had a blow out on the way home, predictably in the middle of nowhere. She’d gotten out to check the spare only to find it flat as well. Pak kicked at the flat tire and swore violently in her native language. Ducking back in the car she rummaged about for her bag of goodies, time to call for help.

All the while, she kept feeling the hairs on the back of her neck rise up. Something felt off, creepy, like she was being watched. Of course, she was just imagining it, she just wished she could stop imagining it so strongly.

Pakpao 16 years ago
Now Pak loved her car, with a scary kind of low-key passion and she was more than a little capable with most repairs. However, all the love and all the ability in the world couldn't re-inflate a flat. She'd even toyed with the idea of keeping a telekinetic finger over the leak, but there was the problem of no air and that she couldn't get around. So, she was on the phone with AAA.

"How long?!"Â?

"Sorry ma'am right now we can't give you any kind of estimate at all."Â?

"Are you high or something? Let me talk to a supervisor and no isn't going to be an option OK so just save your breath."Â?

Great back to the hold music.

As she fumed with the lovely easy listening in the background Pak decided to send for help in a more traditional way.

[Kem? Oh Kem... tell me I'm not interrupting anything.]

Not that she cared at this point in time. Preserving privacy and giving him his space was one thing. Stranded on the side of the road with no help in sight was another.
Kem`Raaisu 16 years ago
Kem wasn't exactly doing anything hugely important that moment, aside from heading back into Nachton at break-neck speed while simultaneously pondering the irony that everyone else who was in a car seemed to be heading the opposite way. From what Aishe had told him, the city was a mess. And... zombies? If she hadn't sounded dead serious (no pun intended), he'd have figured she was screwing with him.

But, the news reports confirmed her story, and it wasn't like Aishe to be the practical joker. She told him she was safe though, for the moment, with Nic of all people. She'd told him where they were, roughly, and he was trying to get there until Pak's sending came from out of the blue.

[Interrupting? No... are you all right?] Doubtful zombies could send, Kem was fairly sure Pak was okay for the moment, but she didn't often send to him when a phone call or an email would do. That alone was out of place.

[I hope you're someplace safe. This isn't a good night for a walk, or so I hear.]
Pakpao 16 years ago
Maybe it was a bit odd to ask after her well being twice so early in the conversation, but Pak was distracted and the hold music was giving her a headache. She didn’t really pay attention to what could have been concern in Kem’s ‘voice’. It was taking quite a bit not to give full vent to her anger, picking up on subtleties wasn’t going to be her strong suite right now.

[Safe? Well that’s a relative term. I went out for dinner…]

She was half way certain Kem knew some of her favorite haunts although they’d never discussed the matter in detail.

[And I’ve had a blow out. The Bird is fine, but the spare is flat and AAA is being more twisted than usual. I’m on hold for a supervisor trying to get at least an estimate for how long I’m going to be here waiting. Honestly how hard is it to get one guy out here with a spare tire. It’s not even that late yet!]

Pak sighed and perched herself on the trunk, her feet dangling just above the ground.

[To make matters worse the hold music just started up on its third Barry Manilow song.]

Perhaps she could sue. That had to constitute physiological war fare didn’t it?
Kem`Raaisu 16 years ago
Kem gripped the steering wheel as he absorbed what Pak was telling him.

[Let me get this straight... you're sitting on the side of the road? Just... hanging out there? There's no one around?]

Impossible... well no, not actually impossible. Pak was quite the recluse, and a lot of her favorite places to go out were in equally reclusive areas of Nachton, tucked back from the noise and the bustle of the night life. He supposed she could have totally missed the fact that Nachton was crawling with zombies.

Even if he'd been inclined to think Aishe was pulling his leg, the local news had confirmed it as he got into the city. People were being warned to stay at home, lock the windows and doors, and anything else they could be warned to do for their safety.

[You need to get inside, Pak,] Kem sent. [Anywhere... get back in the car and lock the doors, and duck down where no one can see you.] Already altering his plans, he whipped the BMW around a tight corner. First, get Pak. Then get Aishe, who claimed to be safe and sound for the time being.

Knowing his feisty clan-sister was going to demand explanations, he added, [There's been a bit of an outbreak in the city. I don't know how you managed to avoid it. But if you see anyone who happens to look like, oh I don't know, say - a zombie, you should probably go along with them, pretend they are, and get the hell out of there.]

He wasn't entirely sure that was going to strike a chord with Pak, unless it was her funny bone. Face it, he thought to himself, it I were Pak and I had just sent me that line, I'd be looking around for Michael Jackson and making snarky remarks about getting his autograph while he's filming in Nachton.
Pakpao 16 years ago
Yeah that’s what she said. Sitting on the side of the road waiting for AAA she hadn’t thought it was that hard to comprehend, nor that odd. What was odd was the line going dead. That was just one more thing to add to her list of grievances with this damned service. She paid an arm and a leg for ‘road side assistance’ not to get hung up on. If she hadn’t been so fond of the phone she would have thrown it across the street out of spite.

Great now Kem was acting even odder than usual. If she hadn’t been so pissed off she would have responded better to the humor, as it was she just rolled her eyes and mocked him right back.

[No Kem! Not that! Zombies? We’ll never get out alive!]

Man he needed to get some fresh air or something, he’d obviously lost it.

[Wait… wait… I think… I think I see them. God no! They’re coming this way. Imohtep… Imohtep…]

Well he started it so it was his own fault she was no imitating bad monster movie.

She started picking up pebbles with her mind and tossing them at a wall across the street, just for something to do. Next time she needed help maybe she’d be nicer to AAA.
Kem`Raaisu 16 years ago
Kem sighed, although he'd pretty much expected that response from Pak. He'd have reacted the same. Pak was as stubborn as a mule too, so if he tried to argue her he'd probably get worse than nowhere, and backward progress - well, it wasn't really progress at all. So he decided to go an alternate route.

[Ah well, I tought I had a shot at a mild psych-out,] he replied. [Where are you stranded? I can at least swing by and keep you company for a little bit.]

It wasn't often one of them turned down the offer of company from the other, so Kem didn't think Pak would be opposed to that idea. Even if she declined, he was pretty well-versed in her most favorite hangouts. If Aishe was safe for the time being, his priority had to be Pak.

[Worst case scenario, we see if my spare will do you, and you can deal with AAA later or not at all.] Kem's BMW was only a couple years old, and like most of his belongings he kept it in as good condition as possible. He'd never had cause to use the spare and while he doubted it would fit on Pak's 'baby,' it was worth a shot. Or, would have been worth a shot on a regular night - which this clearly was not. It would most likely be clear to Pak too, within a few minutes.
Pakpao 16 years ago
[Sure you had a shot… have you been drinking?]

She didn't think he had been, but it was possible and some days even probable but she really didn't think so.

It was getting cold out and while she didn't believe in zombies she did believe in staying warm and as such Pak climbed back into her car and turned the engine on to let the heat run for a few minutes. Not something she would ordinarily do but she also wasn't ordinarily stranded on the side of the road either.

[I thought you'd never ask.]

Pak had even been debating trying to bum a ride from him but she was having a hard time with the idea of leaving the Bird unattended. Having agreed to his suggestion she gave directions to a rather run down warehouse ridden part of town not too far way from some of the more popular locations for prostitutes. Good thing she didn't worry about her reputation with Kem. She might have been slightly embarrassed to give that information out to just any one.

[No… no… I don't think it will fit. Well it might…]

His car was a snazzy little deal and not too monstrously big. They might take the same tires and even if they didn't it might get her to limping and then she could get it taken care of properly.

[You know this is madness. I'm calling and canceling my coverage in the morning.]

Having warmed the car up a few degrees she turned it off. It was damned boring to be stuck on the side of the road. She sighed and started rummaging about in the glove box and her bag for a toy to fidget with.
Kem`Raaisu 16 years ago
Kem stifled any mild irritation he felt, reminding himself he'd never have believed Pak either, if she told him some strange zombie story out of the blue.

[No drinking. Just a really long night.]

That was true enough; he'd spent the entire night out of town at a not-so-local university doing appraisals, which generally meant using his particular brand pf psychometry until he was seeing stars and ready to throw up. [I don't think drinking would be such a hot idea right now, anyway.]

He wasn't far from where Pak was, and while he recognized the area he figured he wasn't going to say anything about it. What possible observation could he make of Pak's feeding preferences when his own were so particular?

[I'm not too far from where you are now,] he sent. [Be there in 5, and then we can play with tires and bitch about AAA until we're blue in the face, and in the fingers. Then if you like we can go get Aishe and entertain ourselves elsewhere... someplace that doesn't involve temperatures below 40.] And zombies, and panicking crowds of stampeding humans... all the above.

With any hope, Pak wouldn't see a single zombie. Then he could just pick her up and get her out of there.
Pakpao 16 years ago
[In that case I'll be nice… ish.]

Long nights she could relate too, and regardless of the cause they were always a pain in the ass and never made her happy. In fact she could get down right snarly so Pak resolved to be a bit nice to Kem for now. After all he was going out of his way to help her out.

She'd finally decided to play with her blackberry and was currently trying to locate any other Bluetooth devices in the area. If she could find one, unlikely, it would keep her entertained to try and hack it.

[Sounds like a plan. I'll even treat.]

Was that shadow moving? No, no of course not it was just something blowing in the wind.

Settling in to her own version of a computer game Pak kept one ear open for Kem. Depending on how fast he was driving and what toys he had with him she might see him that way first.
Kem`Raaisu 16 years ago
Kem let irony drip in; a natural occurrence. [Don't tax yourself on my account. I'll live.]

Of course, he wasn't about to give much more than a token protest if Pak decided to be nice for now. He had a feeling she was going to be plenty pissed when she discovered he wasn't full of shit and there really were zombies wandering around Nachton. She'd get pissed if he tried to convince her of it, too... just as she would be pissed when she found out and realized he hadn't pushed the topic. He was in a completely losing situation here, but Pak's anger would be worth it if neither of them ended up trying to eat the other tonight.

He whipped around a final corner, spotted the warehouse she'd told him about, and pulled up right behind Pak's disabled Bird. Glancing around he noted the streets were fairly empty, but he'd seen enough shadows moving in the dark to wonder. This area was largely void of human life at night; even the homeless sought out warmer, friendlier hangouts. That would explain, he thought, why Pak hadn't seen anything out of the ordinary. The area she'd have looked for dinner in was a block or two away.

Climbing out from behind the wheel he glanced around to make sure he wasn't about to get jumped, then tapped lightly on Pak's window.

[I come in peace; take me to your leader.]
Pakpao 16 years ago
[Well continue in your normal state of undeath at any rate.]

Pak volunteered cheerfully.

Next time she had a blow out or any other kind of car trouble she would be having it in a better part of town where she could at least find things to play with or a decent cup of coffee.

It was quiet enough that she couldn't possibly have not heard the approaching car. Glancing up to make sure it was Kem she half smiled and began packing up. Just because she was willing to risk the Bird didn't mean she was leaving any random technology. She really should travel lighter when going out to eat, but she'd thought to combine dinner and work and so had quite a bit. Having gathered the necessities she twisted around and lay under the dash board to disconnect a few relevant wires. It wasn't much or even that hard to fix but hopefully it would be enough to keep a would be thief away from her favorite toy.

She was ready for his voice but the tap on the glass cause her to sit up rather sharply, narrowly missing the steering column. Throwing open the door she rolled her eyes.

"Well then you'll have to take me back to the towers and there's no guarantee he's there right now so it could be a bit of a wait."

Leaving her luggage on the seat she slid out of the car and surveyed the damage again, carefully assessing Kem's tires as well.

"It might work at least well enough to get me to the garage. But some how I get the feeling you really don't want to mess with it tonight."
Kem`Raaisu 16 years ago
"Good call," Kem responded, glad that he wasn't going to have to argue any more than was necessary. Pak had gathered up her various toys and, it seemed, she was doing a bit of theft-prevention as well. Glad she wasn't stalling it, and attributing that to a combination of cold air and general AAA disgruntlement, Kem watched over her shoulder to make sure nothing was sneaking up behind her. Just as it seemed he may yet get her safely into the car without so much as a glimpse of a zombie, she straightened and looked behind him with an air of confusion, skepticism, and shocked disbelief. That mix from Pak was enough to tip Kem off. The next few events happened almost without his realization; from behind there was a shuffling noise and then, before he could turn, something grabbed his hair and yanked - hard.

That was really all it took to get Kem moving; soldier he may not be, but he wasn't a slouch when it came to worming his way out of a pinch. Instinct kicked in and instead of turning, he simply reached over his head, grabbed what felt like a wrist, and used the attached arm as a lever, shoving his own shoulder down then back up and flipping the attached person over. As the body hit the ground and he twisted the wrist with a slight snapping noise, Kem's foot flashed in and he delivered a vicious heel-jab to the thing's solar plexus. Deadened eyes gave him just a moment to feel relieved that he hadn't actually injured some innocent who was running from monsters, and then it seemed to regain its energy, reaching out with its good arm for his ankle and sinking its teeth in... to his jeans, as he pulled away with a yelp. His foot came up again and he pounded it down on the creature's throat, then again for good measure. It stayed still.

Kem blinked down at it for a moment before looking at Pak with an expression of shock. Words weren't really about to come so he pointed down to the zombie and eloquently said, "Whaaa." Then, gesturing to the street he flapped his hands around a bit and uttered something that sounded a bit like "Gahhh."

Satisfied that he had gotten the point across he hurried over to his car and beckoned Pak over.
Pakpao 16 years ago
Well, she didn't panic one had to give her credit for that. She just didn't know what the hell to make of … … it or what to do. Which was probably just as well as she would have gotten in the way of GI Kem. Rather than trying to help she just plastered herself against her car, if she hadn't locked the door she would have jumped back in, and looked for an opportunity to swing her laptop bag at the zombie thing. It crossed her mind to wonder if zombie damage was covered under the warranty but decided she didn't much care as it was company issue and if they didn't believe she'd used the laptop in self defense there would be issues any way.

OK they were all alive, well except for the thing, at least it looked dead, deader. Pak responded to Kem's eloquent use of language by nodding vigorously, slightly wild eyed and hurling herself into his car. Many strange and abortive hand gestures and a few gaping attempts at speech and she finally managed.

"Drive! Now! That way! Fast!"

Not that she had any clue what way was that way but she didn't much care. What she wanted was to get home and hide under her bed. That or a drink; both was a distinct possibility.

Kem fortunately followed directions and made up a few of his own. Having a few moments to get her thoughts back together she finally exploded at him, all in Siamese.

"Why the hell didn't you –tell- me there were killer zombies on the loose? Real ones! And what in hell's name are the two of you doing out on a night like this?! You could be killed or zombifed!"

She had managed to remember that he said he was out to pick up Aishe while at the same time forgetting that he had told her there were zombies on the loose.
Kem`Raaisu 16 years ago
Kem popped his car into reverse and gunned it, wasting no time. As he pulled out from the side street onto a more major road, it became obvious that the problem was growing. Navigating was becoming difficult. Shaken a bit from being jumped by a zombie, he could only feel relieved he hadn't killed it. It was a person, he thought, and if there was a cure for what was happening right now, he imagined their family wouldn't have thanked him for ending their life.

A string of Siamese bounced him out of that bit of consideration. Kem's Siamese wasn't nearly as good as it should have been but he got the gist of it
. "With all due respect I did try to warn you," he responded a bit snappishly, vocal cords finally functioning. "And to the other question, I was on my way home and so was Aishe. Except she was walking, and I was headed back into Nachton. I heard about it from her and confirmed it on the radio."

Speaking of radios, Kem flipped the switch on once more and let Pak listen to the local public radio system, which was in fact confirming that the emergency broadcast was alive and well. people were being warned to stay inside, lock all doors and windows, or proceed to designated safety areas. "I had figured on grabbing Aishe and heading to the Towers." Push come to shove, Kem couldn't imagine a safer location. "She's holed up in some kind of ammo store with Nic."

Twisting and turning, Kem ended up taking a lot of liberties with lane designations. As they got closer in to Nachton the crowds of people were growing... some running and screaming, some persuing with a singleminded determination that was frightening. Fortunately, most people were headed out of the city. Unfortunately, plenty of those were headed out on the lanes meant for those coming in. It made driving difficult, to say the least, especially when random zombies here and there took it upon themselves to pound upon the car windows and roof.

Eventually the crowds became far too thick. Kem was starting to realize they they either had to get out and make a run for it like so many others, or stay in the car and hope for the best. Judging by the broken windshields on some of the other vehicles in the road, door number 1 was looking better than door number 2.
Pakpao 16 years ago
Not at all phased or set back by his waspish tone Pak growled back at him, calmer now and in English again.

"And an excellent warring it was. I'm sure you would have heard it just the way I did and it sounded insane. You could have had me…"

Had her do what? Ha! There that was the answer right there.

"Turn on the radio."

Of course she might have panicked and run or done some equally foolish thing so perhaps his way was best. She'd apologize later now they had to find Aishe and get back to the Towers.

"Nic? Ammo store? Heaven help us all. Can she at least shoot?"

On the best of days Pak still wasn't terribly fond of Nic. She'd met him just the once and that had been enough. No matter that she'd been the one in the mood that day and he very probably hadn't done anything to deserve her hostility. Nope she was holding a grudge.

The crowds, some human, some formerly human, the mass panic and the occasional zombie jumping out at them had ceased to frighten Pak. She could have a total melt down later right now all she had was a grim determination to get what family she could and get to safety. Perhaps she was imagining it but Kem was starting to look hesitant about driving. Granted it was worse than rush hour but there was no way in hell she was getting out of the car and running. She wasn't that fast and the car wasn't dead yet.

She liked Kem, a great deal, don't get her wrong but he could be so dang –nice- and nice just didn't cut it in survival situation. Pak knew what she wanted, she wanted the wheel she just wasn't quite sure how to brooch the subject. Polite? Sweet? Total bitch? OK she'd work up to bitch but start out nice.

Blue eyes boring into Kem she asked in a very even tone of voice.

"You weren't thinking of stopping and having us walk were you? I mean I'm fond of the obligatory chase scene B grade horror flicks but I much prefer to avoid that in my own life."
Kem`Raaisu 16 years ago
Narrowing his eyes as if trying to find some teeny path the BMW could possibly fit in, Kem finally turned to look back at Pak. "These people are innocent," he pointed out. "They have lives and families. But I don't think we're going to be safe staying in the car."

Another searching look at Pak's face and comprehension dawned as he realized she hadn't intended the entire car to stop.

"Oh no. No, no, no."

Unconsciously, his hands tightened on the steering wheel of the posh little sports car. "Not a chance. That's... that's inhumane, Pak!"

He wasn't sure if he was referring to the fact that people would die, or the turning of his car into a weapon of mass destruction. He jumped suddenly as a fist pounded on the driver's side window. One loner stood out there, struggling to get in. And there were droves of "buddies" who had just turned to see the two of them in there.

"I can't do it, Pak. I can't run them all down. There are buildings here, we can make for one of these. Someone will let us in."
Pakpao 16 years ago
"And they are innocently set on attacking us and making us part of the collective!"

OK that outburst was probably not called for but it seemed appropriate, but she'd never bought the 'resistance is futile' line.

Oh goodie, he got it. He wasn't taking the idea well but he got it. Softly in a voice on could use with kindergarteners she continued to persuade.

"If we get out of this car and try to run to one of those buildings don't you think the people inside are going to think were like them? Can you really see them opening up the door and offering us a cup of coffee."

The pounding made her jump and cringe. OK time for sweet and subtle was over. She was not going to end up like them.

"If you can't I can, move over or hit the gas. Pick one but pick fast."

Pak was busy making up his mind for him, tossing her gear in tiny area behind the two seats. No sense making it harder than it had to be after.
Kem`Raaisu 16 years ago
He hated when Pak made sense, particularly when Pak's making sense involved needless death. Self-defense was one thing.. but this was self-defense on a much larger scale than Kem preferred to think about. He had a feeling he was only feeding her violent streak, but as the horde closed in around the two meals in the little car, he began to see her point. However, Kem was fairly certain he couldn't press the gas pedal. The spirit was willing but the flesh was weak or something.

"All right." He tried to pry his fingers off the steering wheel. "Okay. All right." The insistent pounding on the window as the car now shook was just irritating him. How the hell was he supposed to asses the situation calmly if they wouldn't leave him alone?

One more good pound created a spiderweb of tiny cracks in the dirver's side window. That did it. Kem did the last thing the zombie expected - he unlocked and opened the door. Giving it a good hard shove with all the force of vampire muscle behind it, he sent their attacker flying into a crowd of oncoming zombies. Closing the door behind him he made as if to run around the car, but was blocked by more hungry, drooling, erstwhile humans. Letting instinct kick in once more Kem simply jumped and sprawled over the top of his car, sliding across it and coming down half on his face and half on his wrist on the other side.

As Pak scrambled around on the inside of the inside of the car, Kem slithered halfway upright, pulled the passenger door open, and squirmed inside. As he moved to shut the door, someone's hand shot inside. Eyes wide as saucers, Kem pulled the door shut. It bounced open. He pulled a second time, and a third, while Pak did whatever Pak was doing there at the wheel. The hand flinched with every pull until it finally dropped away and he had a split second to shut and lock the door.

Macabre chinese fire drill over with, he turned to Pak.
"What are you waiting for?"

...and did his best not to watch as several tens of thousands of dollars turned into a zombie-slaying demolition derby.
Pakpao 16 years ago
One could almost always trust Kem to see logic. However, that didn't stop Pak from being a bit floored he was letting her drive his pretty pretty car under such nasty circumstances. She didn't waste much time being amazed though. Once Kem started moving she dove into the driver's seat. When Kem was clear of the door she stretched her full five foot nothing length grabbed the door and tried to pull it close. Damned zombies had grabbed it and were now attempting to gain entry. Ew! Was that drool?

She'd rather not know. Twisting about in a rather cork screw like motion, but refusing to let go of the door, she put herself in a better position to yank it close. One grasping hand just wouldn't let go and she kicked hard at it. Thankfully she'd worn heels and the impact was that much more focused. Good hand out of the way then with a nice combination of brute force and mind over matter, as it were, she got the door closed.

Hands at ten and two, Kem in the car she was ready to hit it. But rather than driving there was more swearing in a second language and then he asked her what she was waiting for!

"How do you pull the seat forward you tall freak of nature?!"

She couldn't reach the peddles and could barley reach the wheel. Pak desperately fumbled around under the seat on the side of the seat looking for a lever, a switch, any thing, that would move the seat and thus compensate for their nearly foot height difference. Eureka! The seat was moving. Stretching her legs as far as she could she finally reached a comfortable distance with a good hold on the wheel and solid contact with the accelerator; she wasn't too worried about the breaks just yet. Not bothering to adjust the mirrors she tossed the car into reverse, there were fewer zombies behind them, got a decent running start threw it into drive and punched it cringing about every third thump.
Kem`Raaisu 16 years ago
The last thing Kem had expected was to be stymied by the new driver's lack of height. Once again, if they weren't being persued by flesh-eating monsters, he'd have found the situation hilarious. As it was though, he gestured toward the bottom of the seat while Pak evidently found the proper control and moved herself up. They went backwards first, every thump telling its own little squishy story. One thump was not very squishy at all and was followed by the tinkling of shattered glass before they began moving forward again.

Kem kept his eyes open long enough to give Pak the address of the shop Aishe was in, and then shut them once more, trying to pretend they were hitting traffic cones or something... not innocent bystanders. The trip seemed to feel like forever but in actuality it was only about ten blocks. When the car came to a screeching halt, smoke rising from under the hood (or what was left of the hood), they were underneath a sign that looked like the one Aishe had described. The neighborhood was crawling with zombies, but Pak had pulled up close to the door. They could try to cram Nic and Aishe into the car, or they could make a break for it themselves. It was even odds on whether or not the car still had enough juice to get them to Liefde.

Prying his hands away from their death grip on the seat, Kem looked at Pak questioningly.