Damsel (and dog) in distress!

Dani was beginning to regret her choice to drive downtown. For one, the traffic was horrendous, and even in her civic hybrid she was contributing to the pollution. She should have just walked - it would have been quicker and Fatty could, as the vet reminded her, certainly use the exercise. It was time for his annual checkup, and her annual scolding from the vet. The issue actually wasn't his weight - Fatty was, despite all appearances, quite healthy for his breed. Rather, the vet constantly wanted to push obedience training. Dani was wholly convinced that Fatty was a good dog and didn't need it, but the vet persisted and always seemed to send her away with a stack of brochures for schools. She wondered if this was how parents felt when they walked away from a school meeting or a doctor's appointment - vaguely inferior.

The reason she had decided to drive was, embarrassingly enough, mostly vanity. She'd purchased a new skirt and wanted to test it out before she wore it to a function, make sure it didn't have any weird quirks like a slippery zipper or a weak seam that might cause embarrassment. Additionally, it was pretty, and she was feeling especially feminine today.

All of her excuses for taking the car seemed even thinner when she came out of the parking lot to discover the civic leaning a little to one side. As she came closer her fears were confirmed; she had a flat on the back tire. She stood with her hands on her hips, staring at the offending vehicle for a moment before words finally came.

"Well...shoot!"Â?

She looked down at Fatty, addressing him as though he were human.

"So much for this skirt."Â?

Huffing a little, she popped her trunk and began digging around for supplies - to her relief, she knew she had a doughnut spare, but the problem would be getting to it. She had a lot of stuff in her trunk, which was essentially a larger version of her purse, stocked for any emergency. Pushing her hair out of her eyes, she began the unenviable task of transferring her things to the back seat while the sun blazed overhead.

Brig Jameson 16 years ago
Brig was lost. How embarrassing, he huffed to himself as he sat at the corner of...he looked at the street corner signs and then back down at the googled map directions to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Really, did they purposely hide state offices in America? He had heard of those dreadful long lines to speak with apparent suicide victims who were sentenced to do civil service work, but he had to get there first. The blare of a horn behind him made him bristle, but he proceeded around the corner and pulled into a large parking lot, letting the sedan's engine idle quietly as he tried to read the directions again.

Looking up he spotted a rather large dog and a shapely pair of legs sticking out of the back seat of a civic honda across from him. He put his directions down and watched the fat dog watch its owner take things out of the drunk and into the back seat. Lots of things. Lowering his sunglasses he looked at the legs and slowly let his eyes trail up to the face. Then his eyes noticed the vehicle sitting at a rather odd slant. Oh, a flat tire, he thought.

A damsel in distress!

Setting his directions and sunglasses aside, Brig ran a hand over his short hair and shut off his engine. Pocketing his keys, he stepped out with his long legs and exited his car. With a quick check of his reflection in the window, Brig straightened his nondescript taupe polo shirt and slightly darker slacks and trotted across the lot towards the chunky dog and legs.

With one hand at his side and another touching the button of his shirt, Brig cleared his throat and smiled.
'Need help?'
Danielle 16 years ago
Dani frowned in disapproval at the sound of a blaring horn, looking up instinctively to make sure this wasn’t a prelude to an accident. If there was a problem, though, she couldn’t see it – probably just some impatient person.

Such thoughts could only distract her from the facts for so long, though. In the back of her mind, she knew that even if she could manage the jack, the wheel lugs would be a problem for her. She was maybe a hundred and five pounds, tiny, and even standing on the tire iron might not do the trick. Still, step one would be clearing her trunk, so she did that while she thought of ideas for what to do. It seemed silly and frivolous to call triple A for a flat tire, and anyway it would take them a long time to get here. Maybe she could find someone in the strip mall to help her.

Next to her, Fatty let out a huge yawn, his tongue curling and his jowls wiggling. Dani put one hand on her hip.

“Oh, am I boring you, Sir Fatty?”

Becoming exasperated now, she went back to her task more briskly, determined to get this done one way or another. She was so caught up in her daydreams of yanking off the wheel all by herself, fueled by her own annoyance, that she didn’t hear the man approach. Her reaction to his offer of help, therefore, was to nearly jump out of her skin.

“Oh! Um…” Composing herself, she turned around to face the stranger. Her gaze landed on his shoulder and she tilted her neck up to properly make eye contact. Her first impression of the man was that he reminded her of a great bear, straight out of a fairy tale. “I’m sorry – I was on another planet for a minute there,” she said, a little breathlessly, embarrassed at her startled reaction. “But yes, I could use some help – I think…” she checked the trunk “I have everything I need in here, but the lugs…” Stopping herself from babbling, she shook her head. What was wrong, and what had to be done, were both obvious to anyone with eyes. “It really is so nice of you to offer to help, I think if you can just get me started I’ll be in much better shape…” Sticking out her hand and thinking his would swallow hers whole, she added an introduction. “I’m Danielle, and this” she nodded toward the hound “is Fatty.”
Brig gave her a genuine smile and shook her hand gently. Then putting his right hand over his heart, he gave her a nod and introduced himself. 'I'm Brian, but my friends call me Brig.'

He turned to Fatty and raised his eyebrows. 'Fatty, it is a pleasure.' Brig knelt down and lowered his hand in front of the dog, just below its mouth, letting the dog sniff his scent till finally the basset hound put his nose into his hand. Scratching the dog behind the ears for a moment, Brig smiled brightly at him, making eye contact. 'Good boy,' he cooed.

Standing he walked over to the trunk of Danielle's car and began pulling out the necessary items to change the tire. He could change it for her in one minute flat, but he noticed these days that some women preferred not to be rescued. With a shrug he picked up the tire iron and jack in one hand.
'I'm happy to change it for you. Just take me a minute here with Fatty's help.'

The dog could not be a better magnet. Still, it was up to her if she wanted to be the damsel in distress but he was content to just look at the petite little thing for a little while longer. With a grin he held the tools in his right hand and scratched his chin thoughtfully with his left.
Danielle 16 years ago
“Nice to meet you, Brig. Mine call me Dani.”

Dani found that people rarely introduced themselves that way if they didn’t want to be addressed as a friend, so she felt it was safe to presume. What was really interesting to her, though, was the attention he paid Fatty. Or, rather, the attention Fatty paid him – usually her dog wasn’t all that interested in meeting strangers, but his understated response to Brig was the equivalent of jumping up and licking his face for any other dog. She beamed a little, much like a proud parent, as they became acquainted.

She had mostly mentioned just getting the lugs off to be polite – after all, changing a tire wasn’t exactly fun for anyone – but she had to admit, if only to herself, that it was a relief when he offered to change it entirely for her. She looked down in mock doubt at Fatty, shaking her head.

“Well, I don’t know, Fatty – think you’re up to the job?” Fatty gave her his usual long, somewhat mournful face in response, and armed with that enthusiasm, she turned back to Brig.

“That really would be very nice of you, thanks…” After only a moment’s hesitation, she added: “How about you let me buy you a coffee in return?” It was, she thought, the least she could do after his kind offer, and it would give him the chance to send her off if he preferred not to have someone looking over his shoulder.
Brig set about doing his manly good deed, having half the lugs off in a jiffy when she offered him coffee. 'You're not going to watch me change it? This isn't nearly as heroic if you don't watch.' He hoped his charm didn't sound half as ridiculous as it did out loud. In his head it seemed so much funnier and said so with a blushing smile. 'Sorry, that sounded so much better in my head before I actually said it.' He got the final lug nut off and pulled the tire swiftly off the car. 'By the time you cross the street, because I see Starbucks over there and I am a true coffee snob, I'll be done.'

As proof Brig stood and retrieved the spare donut from the trunk. He hoped she stayed instead, that way he could take her across the street and offer to buy her dinner for the coffee. Brig had all but one lug nut back on and he had lift one of Fatty's legs to find it.
'Good man,' he said with a grin and finished with her tire.

'There,' he returned the tools to the trunk and then checked his watch. 'Two minutes, personal best.'
Danielle 16 years ago
Brig’s comments earned him a laugh from Dani; of course she would stay, how could she resist? Who wouldn’t want to be around a guy like him? Charming with a dash of vulnerability, and sweet besides - and he’d dropped, seemingly out of the sky, at just the right moment.

“Alright, then, is there anything…”

But he was already hunting for the last lug, fastidiously guarded by Fatty – just that quickly, the new tire was on and the left side of her car was being lowered back to the ground. She beamed a smile.

“That –was- pretty heroic. I’m glad I stayed – I think a personal best deserves a double.”

She pulled the cover over the tools and the damaged tire, giving the latter a brief glance before storing it out of sight. Dani took good care of her car and particularly the tires, because good tires meant better gas mileage, and she found herself curious – what had happened?

Closing the trunk, she dismissed her worries and turned back to Brig.

“Thank you so much; I really do appreciate this.” Grinning, she continued. “And you like Starbucks? This really is my lucky day.” Nodding to the café across the street, she gave Fatty’s leash a gentle tug. “Up! Up you go, c’mon boy…”

Fatty, however, only yawned widely at her command, keeping his rump firmly planted on the ground.

“He’s had a long day,” she explained to Brig, “visiting the vet and all…c’mon Fatty, let’s go!”

Fatty sniffed the air a few times, then reluctantly got to his feet and ambled over, not to her side, but to Brig’s. Dani gave an incredulous little snort.

“Well! It looks as though you have a new admirer!” Realizing what she had said just a second too late, she felt her skin flush – she’d meant Fatty, but really that statement could be interpreted quite differently. With a toss of her hair, though, the blush was gone – Dani was not easily embarrassed and moments like these never seemed to stick with her. “Wow, that sounded a lot better in –my- head.”

Her nose crunched up and her eyes crinkled as she gave Brig a teasing smile. Five minutes in and they already had an inside joke.

“Coffee?”
Brig smiled a lop sided grin and bent down to pat Fatty again. He pulled gently at the dog's ear and then picked him up, cradling him in his right arm. The basset hound did not resist and seemed happy to be carried instead of walking. Hooking his other arm out to the young lady, Brig agreed with the suggestion. 'Indeed, let's get coffee'd up!'

With damsel and dog in hand, Brig and his coffee dates crossed the street to the fabled Starbucks. He let Fatty down gently at the door and tied him up by an empty patio table.
'Be a good man and hold the table for us.' He held the door open for Danielle and ushered her in.

Starbucks had an absolutely intoxicating aroma, so much so that Brig nearly stopped in his tracks with the first whiff. Caffeine should be outlawed, he thought to himself - as should women since both had an extremely addictive quality for Brig. With a lovely young lady at his side, they stood in line to order their drinks. Eying up the lemon poppy seed muffins, he turned to Danielle with another lop sided grin and waited for her to order first.

He was particularly pleased with the normalcy of his day so far. No one eyed angry pants man grumbling next to him, no legion of red headed Pipers waiting for a command. Today was a normal day - one he would take every opportunity to secure a female for future wedded bliss, if he should be so lucky. Or maybe just a nice cup of coffee with a girl and her dog. That would work too.

((ooc permission to move dani and fatty)
Danielle 16 years ago
Fatty wasn’t normally the sort of dog you carried around – Dani only did it, with a great deal of struggle, when he was being especially unruly. She wasn’t a Paris Hilton, she didn’t have a little dog with a little carrier that probably cost a bajillion dollars. The mental image of Brig carrying around one of those bags, though, with a little Chihuahua peeking out, was an amusing enough mental image to make her smile. He didn’t seem like the small doggie type either, though he was certainly a dog person. Fatty endured the process with his usual long suffering expression, though when Brig put him down Dani was almost certain he made an effort to look diligent.

After ordering a chai tea, a bottled water, and a sun-dried tomato basil bagel (and indulging in a prideful moment at her deft pronunciation and lack of flubbery over ‘basil bagel’, she stepped aside to let Brig order, looking to him expectantly. She thought his having Fatty hold them a table was a good sign that he wanted to linger and chat, and hopefully the bagel would serve as an added hint without being too pushy. While she waited for Brig to decide, she got out her wallet and cast a look over her shoulder at Fatty, who was staring mournfully at passersby.
Brig steepled his fingers and narrowed his eyes at the menu board in front of them.

'I would like', he paused for dramatic affect, 'a venti white chocolate mocha with a lemon poppy seed muffin, please.'

He was simple in his addictions, refusing to let his coffee define him as an individual. A tall, half skinny/2% caramel soy latte or a caramel macchiato, easy on the whip. He began to take out his wallet but then smiled at Dani.

'Are you still buying me coffee? Because if you are, then you have to let me take you out to dinner to thank you.' Brig grinned happily, laying his trap for the next Ex Mrs. Jameson.
Danielle 16 years ago
Dani raised her eyebrows a little at Brig’s order; it seemed he had quite a sweet tooth. She’d just finished deciding that it was cute when he sprung a dinner invitation on her. Laughing as she handed the cashier (who was looking down and clearly trying not to laugh as well) her card, she inquired: “Oh, is –that- how it works?” before accepting the card back and sliding it back into her wallet. She left it at that for now, as she wasn’t entirely sure if he was serious or just flirting; she figured the comment might have earned him her phone number so that he could call and follow up, though. For now they’d have coffee and see what happened.

Already, though, the less reserved part of her mind was mentally paging through the calendar that was her life, trying to find room for a date in the midst of meetings and responsibility, and discovering that there was much less time than expected. That was troubling on some level, but she didn’t want to over think her busy schedule or start second-guessing her time management decisions based on a random encounter in a parking lot. She would just have to make time, assuming he, or anyone for that matter, bothered to call.

The food, after a stint in the microwave, was delivered fairly quickly, but the drinks took a little longer. Dani moved off to one side to let other customers place their orders, then craned her neck to make sure she could still see Fatty. Slightly embarrassed by her own overprotective tendencies, she turned to Brig to explain herself.

“I know he’s not going anywhere; I just like to be able to see him.” With a sheepish grin, she turned back to collect her drink.
'Well, that's how it's suppose to work.'

Thanking the employee for his muffin, he tore off the edges and thoroughly enjoyed the granules of sugar. He noticed Dani looking after her dog and matched her grin. A good owner, he thought, even better! Their drinks were called out and he shoved his muffin into his mouth as he reached out and grabbed the bottle water which was tucked under his arm and her chai tea and his mocha. Using his shoulder to open the door, he lowered their purchases onto the table near Fatty and chomped off a bite of his muffin.

'It's disgusting how good these are.' Wiping more sugar granules off his lips, lowered a hand to one of the chairs and waited for Dani to have a seat. 'So, is the question answering a question a yes to dinner? Answer quickly now or I'll be taking Fatty here to dinner instead!'
Danielle 16 years ago
Dani laughed out loud at Brig’s question, but soon managed to restrict her amusement to a smile. All right, so she couldn’t blow him off – she didn’t particularly want to anyway.

“We’ve only just met! You could be a very nice, very dashing, tire-changing, dog loving…” axe murderer “republican!” She grinned wickedly. “A girl has to be careful.”

She reached down to give Fatty a small chunk of her bagel, which he accepted as happily as he did anything, then gave Brig a resolute nod. “Yes, I’d be delighted to go to dinner with you.” Looking down at Fatty, she added: “Though I’m sure –he- wouldn’t say no to you either.” With a wink, she took a sip of her tea, which was almost, but not quite, hot enough to burn her mouth.

“I’m not keeping you from anything, am I? Not that I mind a hero falling out of the sky just when I need a tire changed, but I imagine you had other plans for your morning…”
Brig was tempted to give a portion of his muffin to Fatty, but he resisted the urge to add to already sky rocketing veterinarian bills. Instead he inhaled the rest of the lemon poppy seed muffin and nodded at Dani's question.

'I was unfortunately heading towards, but apparently was nowhere near, the department of motor vehicle. I do not understand this country and its penchant for hiding its government offices.' In anticipation to what Dani was probably going to ask about his comment about 'this country', Brig added. 'My corporation has recently relocated to the U.S. and the red tape is as bad as the rest of the global community seems to think it is; no disrespect though to a country that created Starbucks and the Xbox 360.' Brig tipped his mocha in an appreciative toast.

He looked Dani over again as they sat outside on the patio of the famed coffee house. The sun was shining brightly on her short, auburn hair and her smiling eyes would light up every time she glanced down at her dog. Brig had yet to meet anyone Nachton worth mentioning or remembering and maybe this chance encounter was just that, a chance but a fleeting one. Most women did not have to be incredibly beautiful to strike his fancy or be experienced beyond his years. They don't have to be rich, they don't have to cool - it was just like Prince said...he just wanted their extra time and their kiss. Besides, he was always more than happy to leave everything up to him.

This was another difference between him and Hammer. His cousin chose never to love when Brig chose to do it and do it rather often. In an uncharacteristically pensive mood, Brig reflected on Hammer over the years compared to now with the arrival of Lily. Again that niggling at the back of his brain told him to show caution when even thinking of that type of impropriety, but his instinct told him in unspoken assurance that maybe Hammer wasn't that different from him after all. Maybe a man like Hammer kept his emotions to himself to not only protects himself, but those around him.

Flicking his eyes back at Dani he let go of stray thought and focused in on the petite woman in front of him.
'But what brings you to this part of the city on such a beautiful day? Business or pleasure?'
Danielle 16 years ago
Dani had wondered if Brig was a recent arrival to the States; his accent was enough to indicate that he probably wasn’t native born, but how long he had lived here was harder to say. She gave a rueful laugh at his keen observation regarding government offices, then pulled a pen out of her purse with the intention of drawing him a map.

“Welcome to the States! Don’t worry, most of the natives can’t find the DMV either.” Drawing a series of lines on the napkins, she added: “Which company?”

She made a mental note of the fact that he liked video games; Dani didn’t really keep up with that sort of thing but she liked a good racer as much as the next person. They might have a fun time at the arcade.

A quiet moment passed while they enjoyed their refreshments, but the conversation picked up before the silence became awkward.

“Oh, just the vet visit. I have pretty flexible work hours, so I can actually get something accomplished during the day.”

That was certainly one way of putting it, anyway. A more accurate assessment would be that since she would be at work until 9:00 at night anyway, and then back at midnight for meetings, slipping out for an hour or two hardly made a difference. Megan’s absence and Arin’s distractions meant that it was all the more important for her to be a reliable presence, but that didn’t mean she had to be chained to her desk twenty four hours a day.
Wiping the crumbs from his hands, Brig took a drink of his mocha. 'It's Stafford Enterprises. A conglomerate that does a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Recently medical research, I think. Alas that's my poor cousin's responsibility, I just get to coordinate the men in black wearing mirrored sunglasses.'

Brig had found that touching upon the truth was easier than lying. Stafford Enterprises involved itself in many things, things that involved skirting under the darkness of night and lots and lots of guns, but Dani didn't have to know that.

He happily took the directions and looked at it closely. Her directions were definitely easier to follow, but he also noted that her number was not written on it. So he pushed the napkin back and added,
'You forgot your phone number.' Then gave her his best smile.
Danielle 16 years ago
Stafford…did she know that name? International conglomerate, medical supplies…Dani felt sure it should all ring a bell. Too many corporations, all doing unspecific trades – who could keep track? Instead of recognition, she had to settle for oblivious good cheer.

“Well, welcome to the neighborhood! It’s great that you have family here too – the support must be nice.”

She was curious about Brig’s cousin. She suspected Brig was understating his own role, though she had nothing to base her suspicions on other than a sense that he took pride in his work. That was something the men her own age so often lacked, she mused.

Smiling in return, she slipped one hand into her purse, rummaged around for a moment, and came out with a business card, which she handed to Brig face up.

“The mobile number is the best way to reach me.”

Reaching down to pat Fatty on the head, she added, “Would you rather just follow me to the DMV? I’m going by there anyway…”