Ain't Misbehavin

It would seem that there was a fiesta of some sort going on at Buenos Noches; that was some lucky timing on their part. Jan gave host who seated them a confident smirk seeing the man notice that he was with not one but two lovely ladies, both of whom appeared at least slightly older than him. Would that it were more like what it appeared; still he could enjoy the puzzled look of envy.

They were given a seat near one of the arched open windows that looked out into the courtyard where a band was playing a traditional Spanish folk song. He had to say that the owner hadn't skimped on performers; these guys were actually really good.

The waiter came over soon after the host left and asked what they would like to drink.

"Water, please."Â?

Jan felt it best to start off with something that tasted perfectly fine with anything that he ordered. He could indulge himself in more flavorful fair later. He smiled at the others and hummed softly to the music while he waited for them to order.

Aislinn Ross 16 years ago
Aislinn looked around the restaurant, taking in the atmosphere. Her golden eyes rested on the Spanish band for a moment and she smiled to herself at some memory, before turning her attention to the waiter who stood patiently awaiting her order.

"I'll have a Diet Coke..." she smiled again, feeling more confident with her new friends beside her, "Unless you have a better suggestion?" The question was spoken to Jan and Suki as much as to the waiter.
Suki Langston 16 years ago
Suki liked the atmosphere of the restaurant. It seemed quite festive, though she thought that they could be having a party as well. Trailing behind the handsome Mr. Yager she took her seat with a sassy flick of her hair.

At the waiter's immediate question she puzzled over it for a moment, waving at her companions to go first. Why did they always assault you with that question immediately. She rarely went anywhere without a bottle of water and just could not see coming in some place and saying immediate 'I need a drink, now!!' with such haste. Luckily Jan and Aislinn gave her time to contemplate her order so when the waiter's eyes turned to her she had an answer ready.

"Water with a lemon wedge and a top shelf Margarita on the rocks with salt."

There, that should last her the entire meal and if she felt too tipsy she could simply call Ginger to pick her up later. A half smile was on her face as the waiter hurried off. Leaning her elbow on the table and then her head on her hand she looked questioningly at her table companions.

"Why do you think they ask that immediately? Do I look dehydrated? Are we traveling in the Sahara Desert and I didn't realize it?"

She giggled slightly and shook her head. Perhaps booze was not a brilliant idea, she already felt way too giggly for polite dinner conversation.
Jan 16 years ago
Jan smiled at Aislinn and shrugged.

"I'd say that's good to start with though if you get something really spicy diet coke doesn't do much to put out the fire, if you know what I mean."

There was the occasional debate in Mexican restaurants about the best drink to kill the tongue burning sensations of various peppers. He had heard that iced tea was best, or water and still others claimed it to be milk. Jan considered it likely that milk would do the trick but it killed the reputation as well; if you're sitting there eating something eye wateringly hot in front of your astounded and horrified friends but then finish it off by slurping down a glass of moo juice then you've seriously brought down the cool factor of your little stunt. You can't be macho and then drink something that the baby at the next table is also slurping down; its simply not done.

"Later you can finish off with a margarita or some sangria if you'd like to add something alcoholic to your tasty cuisine."

He laughed at Suki's observation and then frowned thoughtfully as he gave it some actual pondering.

"You've got a point but if you think about it there is never a happy medium. You never get the waiter who comes over at just the right time when you've had a chance to look at the menu and know exactly what you want to eat and drink but before you've decided that you'll become the next great white hunter and start tracking down the nearest employee with your fork in one hand and the impossibly dull knife in the other in order to threaten someone into serving you with the implied threat that if they don't then they'll be the meal of the day."

Jan smiled at them both and shrugged.

"It seems to be all or nothing...or perhaps we simply take the good service for granted and don't notice it when its perfect."
Aislinn laughed. "That is so true." She glanced over the menu, non of the dishes being familiar to her and she bit her lip a little in thought.

"What's the best dish? Or is there one that is like a 'must try' if you are going to eat Mexican?" She peered over the menu at them.
Jan's imagery was so clear Suki almost fell from her chair laughing. She hoped that good service was not really so overlooked but the humor and scars of bad service certainly stayed with one longer.

Peering at the menu she contemplated what to recommend. A basket of chips and three salsas were placed on the table which pleased her immensely. Quickly deciding on her choice she snapped the menu closed. Grabbing up a chip she dunked it in the green salsa, tomatillos probably, and carefully brought it to her mouth. It was mild but tangy on the slightly warm, crunchy, corn tortilla chips.

"I would think that if you want to get a good taste, try a combo plate. Something with an enchilada, a taco and a chilie relleno. Though I think I will go with the fajitas. Though we should get either guacamole or the chorizo queso to dunk our chips in."

Taking a dunk of the chunky red salsa she found that this was the mildest of the two she had tried so far. It had that tangy cilantro bite that bordered on bitter. Good but so far she preferred the green.

"Verde is a green sauce made with tomatillos like this salsa only cooked. Mole is a smoky chocolate sauce, very good. Adobo is a red spicy sauce, usually flavored with cumin and cilantro. Oh, Arroz con Pollo is rice and chicken usually smothered in a flavorful cheese. Very tasty!"

After describing food she realized just how hungry she was. Feeling brave she dunked another chip in the smooth red salsa. This one was a dark red with almost no chunks at all. There were visible pieces of diced cilantro swimming in the thick sauce. Of course this one dripped on the menu but she finally got it in her mouth. The bite was an explosion of spice and heat. Suki felt her eyes tear up slightly as she chewed the very hot salsa bathed chip. Snatching up another chip, naked this time, she quickly munched away on it to sooth her taste buds. Pointing at the dark salsa she warned the others.

"That one is HOT!"
Jan 16 years ago
Jan smiled, pleased that his sense of humour did not go unappreciated. He considered the menu before the waiter's imminent return. Making a decision, he turned to Aislinn but it turned out that Suki was also well versed in Mexican cuisine.

As their server made a reappearance with salsa and chips, he said.

"I'll have the Steak Carne Asada."

Jan nodded is agreement with Suki and replied with further support.

"Fajitas are almost always good and there's nothing quite like getting them sizzling fresh off the grill. Refried beans might be an acquired taste so you might not want to go with the dishes heavy on those. Plus some restaurants have a habit of cooking them too much and they end up with a bit of a burnt taste."

Smiling sweetly at the waiter, he amended.

"Though I've never experienced that here."

His attention was diverted by Suki's exclamation. Looking down at the deceptively innocent bowl of redness. (okay, perhaps that did not sound very innocent), Jan contemplated it a moment before dipping in a chip. Savoring the taste, he grinned.

"Yeah, that will clear your sinuses for certain."
Munching on a second chip, Suki smiled at Jan. His own observations were quite astute, she was impressed. Dunking another chip in the green salsa she enjoyed the scoop of coolly crisp veggies with a hint of spicy heat.

As the waiter dutifully noted Jan's order she chewed quickly. When his attention turned to her she smiled and was ready.

"Guacamole and the queso to start. Veggie fajitas with chicken and cheese, please."

Turning her head to Aislinn she wondered if the girl needed a few more minutes to review her choices. As Suki handed her menu to the server she had an idea.

"I'm sorry, but can I change that queso to the sampler platter? That should give us a little taste of everything, right?"

Her response was a quick 'Si, Senora.' with the accompanying scratching of pencil to paper. Another server brought out a tray with their drinks on it just as Suki lifted a green laden chip to her mouth. Covering her chewing with her napkin she quickly thanked the young woman as her margarita and water were placed in front of her. This place sure was quick and efficient.
"I'll try that Arroz con Pollo please." she decided when she came out of her little daydream and realised they were all waiting for her. "Oh and I'll have a Margarita too. No harm starting early I guess." She grinned at the other two. "Sorry, I was thinking about something. Still trying to tell myself this is real, that I am really here."

She helped herself to one of the chips on the table and cautiously dunked it into the red dip before popping the whole thing in her mouth.

"Phwoar, that's hot!" Her eyes watering slightly from the unfamiliar taste.
Jan 16 years ago
Jan thought Suki's idea to order the sampler plate made perfect sense. He hoped that Aislinn would find something amidst the sea of Mexican food that she found to her liking; many people had only one or two things that they chose to eat again and again at the different culteral restaurants. 'Hi, I'd like the Kung Pao chicken. Yes, yes, I know that's the third time this week...'

Smiling at Aislinn's reaction to her food, Jan did his best to keep the smirking to a minimum. He took another bite of his own food when his pager went off. Washing it down with a swallow from his drink, Jan picked up his pager and looked down at it.

He frowned and sat down his glass and glanced at both his dinner companions.

"I'm going to have to bail on you. That was one of the members of the band."

It must be something fairly serious if they were paging him instead of just sending him a text page or a call. It meant there was trouble that they couldn't speak about where ever they were. He was hoping they'd get the opportunity to tell him where he could find them because if not then it would be a long night of hoping from favourite haunt to favourite haunt hoping to get lucky.

Standing up, he sketched them both a bow with a flourish.

" I do apologize. I'll pay for the dinner on my way out so you needn't worry about the tab tonight. I hope to see you both at the club some time. "

Jan gave them a final grin before rushing to find their waiter. He gave the man some money to pay for the meal, extra money for cab fair and enough money to convince the man to be honest and let the women know that their ride was taken care of instead of pocketing the cash.

((OOC: Sorry for being away. I figured it was best to drop Jan out so I can clean up my loose end threads and then get back on the roleplaying track.))

Jan out
Suki smiled at the other girl's first taste of salsa. It was good in her opinion but then she did like things somewhat spicy. Perhaps they did not use much heat in Scotland. Busily she commenced in precisely draping the cloth napkin across her lap so that should something drip, her skirt would not suffer.

The noise from Jan's pager heralded the end of her fun evening with the rock star. She sighed sadly under her breath as he made his escape after murmuring appropriate goodbyes. Watching him walk away she noted how young and fit he was. Ok, maybe she simply watched his tight rear but still. Her elbow plopped on the table to prop up her chin on her hand.

"He is so damn hot."

Turning a smile to Aislinn she giggled like a schoolgirl for a moment.

"I almost can not believe that we went shopping with Jan Yeager! Let alone into a restaurant and with an invitation to watch him perform. That is so amazing."

While Suki was sure the young woman had none of the starstruck giddiness she did it was still fun to gossip about the evening. How often did you meet in person one of your idols?! Not very often in the familiar's book.

"Dinner should be fabulous anyways, though. Of course now we may have enough food to take home a doggie bag or six."