Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (Private, Bastian)

It had taken the better part of the day but Reign had cleaned the house from top to bottom. Everything had been washed, vacuumed or dusted as appropriate (even the dog much to Sirius' dismay). She told herself it just needed to be done but really, she was a little nervous and the cleaning had kept her mind off things and made the place presentable.

She'd asked Will for time, how much time, well that would depend on Bastian wouldn't it? Enough of that she needed to get dressed. It seemed silly to get so dressed up at home but jeans and a t-shirt didn't seem right either. She settled on a silk wrap top with a low V-neck in a bright sapphire blue and light gray wool pants. No jewelry though, and no shoes either, it was casual wasn't it?

With that done, she gave one last once over to the dinner she brought in. Hey just because she could clean didn't mean Reign was a cook. It was set out on the coffee table rather than the dining room, she didn't feel like ruining the organized chaos of her research. Dinner was more finger foods than anything, sushi, egg rolls, veggie sticks, cut up melon, and a few other random things. Hell, she'd even managed to stash a bottle of white wine in the fridge.

So that meant she was prepared right? Well not really but there wasn't anything else she could do just now. Reign perched on the couch to wait and eyed her furry friend.

"Yes I suspect you know Bastian is coming over tonight. I expect you to be a gentleman, its possible we'll be seeing more of him, and I'm rather fond of him."Â?

Sirius cocked his head, chuffed and lay down at her feet chewing at one of his toys.

"You're a brilliant conversationalist aren't you? Will you get the door when he comes then?"Â?

She wanted to fall back on the couch and relax, but she might wrinkle things. God, did she just think that? Just for that once she'd made her impression she was slouching the rest of the night and sprawling on couch in as un-ladylike manner as she could manage.

Another glance at the clock; he wasn't late, she was just ready early and it was killing her.

Bastian 16 years ago
He sat in the Hummer...just sat there, staring at the front door to Reign's house. He wasn't nervous, per se, but he was thinking caution might be the better course of action tonight. Up till now he'd been patient, and backed off, to give Reign whatever time she needed to make her decisions, and he was more than ready to hear her answers. But knowing there was still a chance she might have chosen...William...Bastian was keeping a tight rein... "That was really bad..." He chuckled softly at the play on words, and finally opened the door to his vehicle and slid out.

Walking around to the passenger side, he opened the door long enough to reach in and pick up the bowl of Zabaglione, and the yellow roses, and then start up the walk toward the door. Never one to arrive at someone's home empty handed, Bastian was doubly thankful he had something to occupy his hands, and prevent them from shaking.

However, when he reached the door he realized the folly of his planning, and stood there several seconds trying to figure out how he would announce his arrival. Knocking on the door was out of the question, but he did see he could ring the bell with the use of his knuckle, and did so.
Reign 16 years ago
And get the door he did, leaving his toy Sirius went to the foyer and sat staring intently at the door and going into his deep intimidating barks when the doorbell rang. Reign clipped off a couple of quick commands in Latin (you had to love having a bilingual dog) and got up to answer the door hesitating with her hand on the lock.

This was the right decision right?

Making sure the mutt was going to stay put she opened the door and almost broke out in a fit of laughter at Bastian's full hands. She managed to repress that but not the sideways smile that crept across her face.

"So two trips was right out of the question was it? Come on give me something to carry."Â?

That said she quickly ushered him inside closing the door behind him and then holding out her hands silently insisting he let her help.
Bastian 16 years ago
Two trips! Now he really felt the ass, but he didn’t let it faze him. More concerned with having to fend Sirius off, than proving he could continue to carry both articles, Bastian handed the bouquet to Reign, and gave the dog a quick look.

‘I promise to give you no further reason to dislike me, if you will allow me this evening with your mistress…’

Having found the ability several years ago, to communicate with many dogs, Bastian gave it his all now. He wanted an understanding with Sirius right from the start, hoping that this is what the evening signified…a start. He had never liked the fact that the two got off on such poor footing, and knew he would have to find some way to get along with the animal, if he and Reign were going to be together more. The sooner the two males reached an agreement they could both live with, the better for all concerned.

His gaze roamed over Reign then, and he leaned down to place a small, chaste kiss on her lips.

“You look ravishing, Cara, but then in my eyes you’re never anything else.”

And that couldn’t have been truer. No matter how many times he greeted her, each time he was caught a little off guard by his feelings for her. It was almost as if just by being out of his sight, he missed her, even if it was only a day that had separated them.

Something caught his nose, and he inhaled.

“And you smell wonderful as well…what is that scent?” He was teasing somewhat, since his sense of smell was full of not only her, but Sirius, and food of some sort nearby. Given a little more time he’d be able to identify all the aromas individually, but any time he entered a place he wasn’t really familiar with, it took him a little longer.

He did know that in the past she had never been big on perfumes, so chances were good that he was smelling whatever scent was in the soaps she used, none the less, to Bastian it couldn’t have smelled sweeter had it been sprayed on.

As a final gesture for the moment, Bastian smiled, and brushed the pad of his thumb across her cheek, and then dropped his free arm back to his side.
Reign 16 years ago
Keeping half an eye on the dog she accepted the flowers and inhaled deeply.

“They are beautiful.”

Sirius was being unusually polite, not that he was a very pushy or ill-mannered animal but tonight he didn’t give Bastian any grief, just a very through sniff. Reign wondered if he could smell wolf on their guest. It was a question she’d never have answered though wasn’t it?

Very softly she returned the kiss. Tonight the ball was back in his court, did he still want to try again?

“You still exaggerate don’t you?”

She’d always had a basic disagreement with Bastian on that point but she was getting to a point she no longer really argued appearances, what did they matter?

The feel of his hand on her cheek was so damned familiar it almost hurt. OK so she was ready to admit she’d missed him. Stamping down on sentimentality for the time being she smiled.

“Come on, kitchen I need a vase and I don’t know if your bowl needs anything or not. You know you didn’t have to bring anything, but what is it?”

As she guided them to the kitchen Sirius followed along eventually taking up residence in one of his favorite haunts, under the dinning room table. He could see both the kitchen and the living room from there and so be able to keep an eye on things with out being in the way.

“It just green tea, nothing fancy. Were you expecting Chanel No. 5?”

She teased him as she opened cupboards looking for a vase.
Bastian 16 years ago
Her appreciation of the flowers made him smile. She never was one to gush over such things, but that she liked them was his only reason for buying them. He liked doing things to make her happy…to see that smile…and if he could he’d give them to her every day. That, he thought, she’d probably balk at, and grinned.

“You still won’t accept a compliment, will you.” The banter was easier tonight than it had been since they’d reconnected, in Bastian’s eyes anyway. He had noticed from the start that he almost felt the same way he had all those years ago. The nervousness disappeared the minute he’d seen her face, and if he hadn’t known it had been different, he could almost imagine the ten year gap didn’t exist at all.

Following her into the kitchen, Bastian made note of where Sirius settled, and yielded his last apprehensions. If anything were to go wrong tonight, it would be his own doing, and he’d only have himself to blame. But that would also be the last of that kind of thinking. Nothing was going to go wrong tonight.

“I brought along some dessert - Zabaglione. It’s a kind of pudding, or custard. I’m afraid this was my first attempt, so I’m not sure if its any good.” Whatever had possessed him to make a dessert still baffled him, but what was done was done. “I remember my Nonna making this for me when I was quite young, and haven’t had any since. I…” He paused before saying what he almost retracted. “…was feeling somewhat nostalgic, I guess.”

Nostalgic, and possibly feeling the need for comfort food? Either was a viable possibility. For even if he was feeling much more relaxed, and had even come to terms with several possibilities as to how tonight might go, subconsciously he now realized he had been preparing for the worse. However, with Reign‘s attitude appearing more positive than negative, Bastian‘s calm was now enabling him to garner a bit of insight into his psyche, that he had been avoiding ever since their last date.

He leaned against the door jamb as he watched her busy herself with the flowers, after he‘d set the bowl of Zabaglione on the counter.

“Green tea? You’ve taken to wearing tea? I wasn’t expecting Chanel, but normal soap was what I had figured on.” He shook his head a bit in amazement, and wondered who it had been that decided wearing tea was the in thing to do. Further, how in the world had his down to earth Reign gotten herself caught up in such nonsense.

When she opened the cupboard, he saw a vase on the uppermost shelf, and doubted she would be able to reach it without aid. So he walked over and gestured to the container.

“Is this the one you want?”

Being a tall woman was another thing about her that he found exciting, preferring women of substance to the tiny, little frail things he come into contact with. Of course the fact that he was still a few inches taller than she was, was really the only reason he could feel comfortable with a woman of her height. Try as he might, and having found himself to be pretty successful, a tiny part of Bastian would probably always be chauvinistic. His secret was to keep any relative comments about that to himself.

"So how have you been Reign?"
Reign 16 years ago
"Depends on the compliment doesn't it?"Â?

She shot back at him. Something Reign was quite vain about and would not only accept a compliment but tell you how good she was, but he knew that.

The mention of his grandmother made Reign frown a bit. That wasn't always a happy subject and she wondered why he'd bring something like that up. The Bastian that she remembered wasn't that nostalgic. Could something be bothering him? Was he worried about tonight?

"Yes, yes I have. At least some times, I think it was one of the other women on the tour who said it might help me concentrate. I'm not sure I buy that but it smells good."Â?

With Bastian right behind her reaching over her Reign nearly stopped breathing, he was so close and there were a lot of memories that went with that closeness. They weren't touching but she could feel him and it was not a bad thing... not at all. Accepting the vase she slipped away to the sink, she could think better there.

"That will do it thank you. There should be a bottle of wine in the fridge if you want to get that out. We'll get bowls for your Zabaglione later."Â?

Some how she was sure he wasn't looking for the standard social answer of 'fine'. Was he fishing for info about Will or something else? Maybe she was being too damned suspicious.

"Not too bad. I confirmed both of those tour dates and... ... I called Pyro."Â?

That had been an interesting call. But Pyro was hard to phase. Her youngest brother was wise beyond his years and nearly unflappable. He understood what she'd had to say and why she'd done what she had and was willing to accept, forgive and move on. He'd also been fairly encouraging that the rest of the family would feel the same way.
Bastian 16 years ago
The electricity between them was palpable, and for fear of doing something he might regret, once he handed her the vase he moved back.

The last time they'd been together, the night he'd taken her to dinner, they had agreed to end the evening and go their separate ways. No matter how much he wanted otherwise, and how well that evening had gone, he could see she needed the extra time and space. Of course the fact that there was another man around played a pretty big part in the decision as well.

Tonight...well, he could hope for a different outcome, but would go with whatever she wanted. After ten years...what were a few more weeks? No...that was a lie...if he had to wait a few more weeks he might...

"Sure." He turned to the refrigerator, opened it, and extracted the wine. Examining the label he smiled. She had chosen well, and he was happy to see she had learned a lot more about wine over the years.

Pulling off the foil, he looked back to her. He needed glasses, and a cork puller, but wasn't about to go rummaging through her cabinets.

"Glasses...cork screw?"

She seemed quite intent on arranging the roses in the vase, and Bastian had to wonder if she was enjoying her task, or just busying herself.

"That's great Cara!" Bastian had hoped she would call home, and make arrangements to see her family soon. Even if he wasn't big on families himself, she always had been, and through her he had learned a great deal. He was a lot happier hearing she was talking to them again, than hearing about the tour.

"How was he...it...will you be going home soon?"

A litany of questions filled his mind, but he held back, not wanting to overwhelm her. He hoped she would elaborate, and would press her a little, but he needed her to want to share this with him again.
Reign 16 years ago
"Ummmm... draw beside the fridge and top shelf second cabinet to the left."Â?

Well there was nothing more she could plausibly do with the flowers so Reign added water and set them aside, she'd find a good place for them later. Glancing around for Sirius she was a bit perplexed to see him hiding out. He didn't often leave her side when there were strangers about, but she refrained from calling him to her. That would be an obvious sign she was fidgety.

"I don't know if I told you, Pryo is in California now. But he's enjoying it out there. I guess there is a possibility they'll send him over seas for a year or so and he's hoping they do."Â?

It was probably good she'd called him with that possibility hanging about. If he moved to where ever they sent him how long would it be before she'd see him again.

Of course she hadn't quite worked out how to try and bridge the gap with her folks. That seemed trickier. Reign had too much pride for a simple apology but she had to work out something.

"Hans on the other hand is not at all happy with me scheduling two tournaments with what he considers enough prep time."Â?

Reign smiled at the memory of her coach's reaction. They'd had a regular blow out over these two appearances. At least they'd had the sense to have their... disagreement at Hans' place instead of at one of their usual pool halls. It was hard to say who'd won the fight because while he'd finally agreed she was still good enough to make a solid showing, Reign had also agreed to a killer training schedule.

"Of the three of us I think Jane's the only one who's happy about this. But then she's always loved doing publicity."Â?

She rolled here eyes slightly. Jane was a sales man and promoter to give the best of them a run. Hell the woman could probably sell tickets to a knit off.

"What about you?"Â?
Bastian 16 years ago
Once he’d opened the wine, he poured a bit into one glass, swirled it under his nose, and sipped. It was on the dry side, which he liked, and he also liked the slight woodsy, berry, vanilla flavor that indicated it had been aged in oak.

“Good choice.” He held up the glass, and tilted it toward her, before pouring the second glass, and handing it over.

It distressed him to hear Pyro would be joining in the fray over seas, but showed no outward evidence. He imagined Reign would worry enough about her brother, without him adding to the emotion. Pyro was a man, and well enough informed to make such decisions. Bastian would quietly hope for the best, and the man’s safe return.

He noticed how she didn’t mention the rest of her family, and suspected she was still warring with the necessary reconciliation. What she said about Hans was of little importance to Bastian, since he knew Reign would ultimately do what was right for her, no matter what Hans said. And he was still stuck on wanting her to resolve things with her mother and father. He was glad she would be getting back at what she did so well, but Bastian wanted things right with her and her family now, above all else.

“What about me? I’m glad you’re going to be playing professionally again, because I know it means a great deal to you. I will miss you…but if you can work out things with your parents, I’ll consider the tour a raging success.”

He knew she wasn’t asking his opinion on that, but couldn’t resist offering it anyway. He hadn’t received the information he wanted, and wasn’t yet willing to let the subject drop. Reign had a habit of trying to do that to him, and he’d finally caught on. He wasn’t about to make things uncomfortable, if she really didn’t want to discuss the matter now, but he had to give it another try. If they did move on to other things, he would get back to it later. He just wouldn’t feel really good about the two of them, until he knew everything was right for her again.
Reign 16 years ago
She absently fiddled with the glass rather than drink from it just yet. That wasn't quite the answer she'd expected to her inquiry, but Bas was Bas and she should know he would go his own way. It was one thing the two of them had in common, some how they'd always manage to meet more or less in the middle; sometimes more to his side than hers and sometimes more to her side than his but it hard worked.

"Why do I get the feeling you're in sympathy with them?"Â?

Not that her folks had done a single thing to cause or encourage this self exile of hers. Hell maybe that's what was so hard for Reign, she had to admit she was wrong and admit that she'd not only screwed up but over reacted as well. No one liked to admit that.

"Next you'll be telling me I should resolve this mess with Vince as well."Â?

Friends since before either could clearly remember they hadn't spoken more than two words since divorce proceedings had begun, it had also cost her Vince's family which had long ago adopted her as the only daughter in a large family with only sons.

He was right though and she knew it, she'd known it for a long time but hadn't quite worked her way up to it. Even knowing it was the right thing to do... how did you start? You'd think at her age she could handle this in a mature head on fashion, instead she felt like a skulking adolescent.
Bastian 16 years ago
Seeing she was thinking, Bastian hoped it was about her family. He was very aware of how difficult she was finding the situation she was now in, and how it was even more difficult for her to figure out a way to make things right. Being that she built the wall around herself, it was going to be up to her to knock it down, and let her family back in.

But since he had to consider the part he played in her life, and how he was partially responsible, he felt it was also up to him to do everything he could to help her get things back to a better place.

Setting his glass down on the counter, Bastian walked to stand in front of Reign, and took her glass as well. Once he'd placed it next to his, he slipped his arms around her waist, and looked down into her eyes. If she shoved him away, so be it, but until she did, he was going for broke.

"Yes, Cara...I would like you to resolve things with Vince as well, but your parents first. I will offer to help in any way I can, but I don't see how we can make things work between us again, until we take care of the loose ends of the past. No matter what you say, you'll never convince me that you are happy with things as they now stand."

He pulled her close, so her cheek was pressed against the side of his neck, and he rubbed her back softly.

"Until you see that you can go home again...until you see that your family still loves you, and misses you, and that includes Vince, and his mother, and brothers, they will be between us."

Putting his hands on her hips, he moved Reign back a bit, so he could see her face again.

"If I could do it for you, I would...madre Dios, if only I could."

Shaking his head, and now frowning slightly, he thought he saw something in her eyes, that he hadn't seen since he'd been in Nachton, and it made his heart jump. He wasn't sure what it was, but he was pretty sure it was something full of meaning, and promise. He just hoped it included him, as well as her family.

He wanted to kiss her, but he was still maintaining a 'wait and see' attitude. Even though he truly felt she was still in love with him, the matter of Will had yet to be discussed, and as long as the other man remained a possibility, Bastian refused to commit himself fully again.
Reign 16 years ago
His actions surprised her, although how that was possible when they'd been slow and deliberate she didn't know. Maybe, despite his words, Reign didn't quite believe he still cared for her. Pushing him away did occur to her, but that would have deprived her of having him so close, instead she remained carefully natural, neither pushing him from her nor encouraging him.

There was nothing she could say that wouldn't sound as if it wasn't coming from a spoiled angry child. Of course, now that she thought about it, perhaps that's what she was. She'd been so loved, almost sheltered, her entire life until she met Bas and perhaps that made her react badly to losing him.

Her arms looped around his waist and she smiled into his neck.

"I'm sure you'd do a fine job of it too. I'm sure they'd be happy to see you."Â?

It wasn't said bitterly, it was a tease, dark humor to be sure but humor nonetheless.

She tried to conjure a scene with Bastian and Vince... that would probably be a bad thing. Undoubtedly her ex would shoot first and ask questions later, as it were. With Bas and her folks... well maybe if he took Helen with him there wouldn't be blood shed.

It really was stupidly funny when she thought about it.
Bastian 16 years ago
He wasn’t sure if she was teasing, or being sarcastic, the years had distanced him a little from being able to read her as well as he once had. But he couldn’t help but chuckle at the image conjured up, of him walking up the sidewalk toward Mr. And Mrs. Sorenson, or even Vince’s mom. He highly doubted any of the three would rush toward him with open arms.

His smile faded a little when he realized how much he hoped that might again be the case some day.

“I’ll make you a deal…you go home, take care of things however you need to, and if things are good come Christmas…” He had to pause then, as a shot of Christmas past flashed before his eyes. “…and you want me, I’ll visit them with you.”

It didn’t really matter if Reign recognized just what his offer meant, and how difficult it was for him to make. Showing up in her Chicago neighborhood, under the threat of tar and feathering, would be a small price to pay, if it helped lead them on the path to a life together.
Reign 16 years ago
Reign issued a sharp quick poke to Bastian's side for that.

"Traitor!"Â?

She said, her eyes dancing.

"You're supposed to side with me."Â?

He was right and if things went well it would be important for him to get back in her family's good graces. However, she didn't want to get too maudlin and serious just yet. They had all night for that... maybe even for other things. Oops, she was getting a head of herself there.

Sliding away from him she received her wine and sipped at it.

"Maybe we should invite them down here, instead though... home court advantage and all."Â?

Realizing she'd just made the assumption there was a future Reign broke eye contact, taking the excuse to make sure Sirius hadn't moved, he hadn't. After a second or two deciding the awkwardness had passed she flashed him a bright smile.

"So did you want something to eat or were you going to let my brilliant ordering and picking up skills go to waste?"Â?
Bastian 16 years ago
“Hmfph!” His over-exaggerated sound effects were just that. Too long ago it had become second nature to expect some form of physical attack from the woman in his arms, so that it was only very rarely that he wasn’t ready for it. Yet he couldn’t let her actions go unnoticed.

Tilting his head lower, and closer to hers, his grin deepened.

“I do side with you Cara, as long as you take my suggestions.” And his own eyes matched hers in merriment now.

He regretted loosening his grip on her, the moment she moved away. For all their time apart, when together now he reveled in their new found closeness, and missed it yet again, when it stopped. But he knew better than to press.

He considered her option, and nodded, but only in half agreement.

“I know it will be difficult for you Reign, to go back there now, but I also have complete confidence in you, and know once you get there and open yourself up, it will become immensely easier. Your family adores you, they always have, and always will, and no one will convince me otherwise. Of course hearing it from Helen helps too.”

Draining his glass, he refilled it, and reached over to do the same with hers as well.

“That might be an excellent idea for Christmas though, or Thanksgiving if you want to do something earlier. For that matter a small party at the end of summer would be nice. At least now that we’re all so much closer logistically, any of the choices could work. But…well…don’t you see that the first move should be back to Chicago? “

Sipping his wine, the thought of yet another reason why she needed to make the first move, and have it be in Chicago.

“Besides that, I’m not sure even once you and Vince make amends, he’ll be thrilled with seeing me again, any time soon.”

And Bastian didn’t want to do anything to make matters worse, or tougher. He wanted to be a part of her life again, and would do whatever she asked of him to make that happen, but just couldn’t see anything good coming out of a meeting between the two men, yet.

He started to walk to the living room, where he had seen the food laid out.

“Food would be welcome.”

Glancing at Sirius as he passed the dog, Bastian winked, and nodded his appreciation for the dog’s efforts. The were not going unnoticed.
Reign 16 years ago
She couldn't help but giggle at his sudden exhalation. It was just like old times. With out meaning too she remembered their first kiss, he'd caught her by surprise and she'd stepped on his foot and felt totally justified in the action. How had they ever gotten beyond that and how did they get back to it?

"I'll think about it, if nothing else I want to go home."Â?

Free from his grip it seemed to be easier to think.

"I'll have Pyro call Helen. Somehow I'm still not sure I'd be welcome if I just popped up out of the blue."Â?

Her brother had promised not to say anything, but if she asked he'd call Helen and if she'd helped Bas find her, she'd very probably be a good liaison to everyone else. It was still sometimes hard to think of her baby sister as a capable adult, but if they were going to make any progress, she had better get used to it really fast. Her ex she just wasn't willing to think about right now, that still hurt.

"I hope you don't mind casual, I couldn't bring myself to clean up the dinning room."Â?

She pointed to the organized chaos of her dinning room table. Reign had decided she was about half way though with her dissertation but with getting back into the circuit she's be slowing down again. Probably not a smart thing but it needed to be done.

It was hard not to notice how odd Sirius was behaving. As they walked past, the big dog only raised his head and chuffed at Bastian before laying his head back on this paws. No matter how relaxed he looked through Reign couldn't help but notice he wasn't taking his eyes off her and Bas. Watching the dog trigged another thought pattern.

"Hell, I haven't got a clue when the next full moon is..."Â?

Oh classy girl, very classy and subtle too. Reign looked positively awkward, just as she felt.

"Not that... er... I'm going to work on tactfully approaching that subject you know."Â?
Bastian 16 years ago
He wasn't surprised when Sirius decided to remind him of his presence. What did surprise Bastian was Sirius' excellent behavior. Though any other reaction to his earlier request wouldn't have been tolerated, had the dog not been who he was, Bastian had to be thankful for that difference between animals and humans.

Sirius must not have realized that had he chosen to disregard Bastian's favor, Bastian wouldn't have been able to do a damn thing about it. Perhaps, if he and Reign continued on and remained growing closer, he would achieve the ability to exert obvious control over the dog, right now there was no way in hell he was going to overstep anything. He was terribly glad he didn't need to.

Noting Reign's glance to her pet, Bastian placed a light hand against her back, and kept moving through the dining room.

"We really do seem to have reached an understanding of sorts. I hope that doesn't distress you."

No, he didn't want to do anything tonight that might give her the impression that he was now taking things for granted, and making assumptions that he had not been given leave to do.

"You should know by now that anything you wish, well, almost anything, is fine with me. Casual is comfortable, and I imagine if you had to clean up that...'Reign organized' room, it would just take you valuable time putting things back after. Personally, I'm fine with the way you've set things up out here."

Sitting down, after she had, Bastian had just taken another swallow of wine when Reign mentioned the full moon. Though he didn't choke or sputter, he did sit up a bit straighter, chuckle, and look at her with even more interest.

"Tact has it's place, but I hope that's not something we need to be concerned with, between ourselves."

Shifting on the couch, Bastian rested his arm along the back, in her direction.

"The full moon is currently running around the beginning of the month, and the next one will be in a couple weeks. Was there some special reason for needing that information?"

She had already seen him change, or rather seen him once he had changed, and though he needed her to experience the full process, he wasn't pressing. He had gone through years of it himself, to become accustomed to all the differences it produced. To expect her to go through it once and come out the other side untouched was impossible to expect. So he both put it off, and thought about how to arrange it, almost every day. Until she had seen him, from start to finish, and knew it was something she could live with, there would be no real hope for them together.

So, for now, he was just biding his time. He would answer her questions, and try to impress upon her that she was safe, and wait for her to appeal to him for more exposure.
Reign 16 years ago
"No, no not at all. I guess it surprises me though he's a good dog. I was more surprised when he didn't like you."Â?

Well that was more or less true. Sirius was a good dog and not overtly hostile, but he was a protector and he didn't always like strange people around Reign. Whatever agreement he and Bas had reached, however they reached it, she wasn't going to argue. For now, it was much to her benefit that the two males got on, even just a little.

She made a face at Bastian as he critiqued her organization.

"Hell its possible that if I cleaned that up I'd find the key piece to my work, I'm fully convinced its in there I just haven't figured out what it is."Â?

Her advisor thought so too, but damned if Reign could figure it out. Perhaps that was part of the reason she was more willing to go back on tour, she was damned sick of staring at it.

Years ago she would have tackled him on to the couch and to tell with the wine, but those days were gone. Maybe, possibly, they'd get that back. So far, it felt positive, it felt optimistic, it might happen.

It was probably very inappropriate but she laughed at his reaction as she settled on the sofa leaning back onto his arm. Hey, it didn't hurt to encourage him.

"I don't know I just had this odd image of you running out of a formal dinner with half a fur coat on. One too many B movies I suspect."Â?
Bastian 16 years ago
"I don't know if I can help, but I hope you know you can always ask me...anything."

He hoped once they got back on solid footing, and he was able to concentrate less on the mechanics of their relationship, and more on the every day to day living, he could become more involved in all aspects of her life, even if just peripherally.

When she moved toward him, Bastian relaxed, and curled his arm around her, playing his fingers along the outside of her arm. Oh that he were able to act on his instincts...but somehow he managed to hold back, and just enjoy her closeness.

His hand wandered up to softly tease the blond curls along the back of her neck, and he didn't miss a beat when she teased him.

"I suspect, probably more than one such movie."

His smile remained on his face, but it did fade slightly. He wasn't offended by her joke, but rather concerned that she still retained an underlying fear of him, and his condition.

"I think maybe we should discuss this further. I know when I explained things before, it was a lot to dump on you all at once, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if you only really heard half of what I said."

Turning in his seat on the couch, he pulled his leg up, and looked directly into her face. The fingers of his hand now resting along her neck and shoulder. as if almost holding her head in place.

"I am very lucky Reign. Physiologically, my body only needs to change once a month, and even then if I need to I can limit the change to a matter of a few hours. However, I am able to control my wolf to the point where I can choose to change at will. This means I can plan or schedule my changes to prevent any such embarrassing occurrences.

You should know I stopped myself from looking for you, until I was confident I would not bring you shame. For all intents and purposes, no one but those I choose to tell, need ever know about my condition."
Reign 16 years ago
"Just because some of us can see the art in Tremors..."Â?

Poor Bas, he'd been subjected to more bad B grade movies than any one really should be, but Reign always got a kick out of them. The campier the better and so werewolves, vampires, and other creatures of the night were often given staring roles. Who knew that would create a totally warped perspective on a real life situation. Oh well, they'd both learn to deal with it.

The feel of his arm, his fingers playing on her shoulder, in her hair was so familiar, so very right she wanted to... but no they needed to go a bit slow and Reign forced herself to hold still hoping that if she were passive it might encourage him further. His sudden movement and the reality check it brought with it were not part of the plan, still he hadn't let go. She was tempted to lean her cheek into his hand but again restrained herself.

"And you should know I'd be less worried about my image than about your safety."Â?

There it had been said, that was the root of this whole mess. Even knowing why he'd left it hurt that he hadn't let her make that decision, that he'd made it for her. Perhaps it had been the right one, from what little they'd talked about she was willing to concede that but not have no choice, that had been very hard and caused so many negative feelings she still couldn't name them all.