*Heavy Sighing*

Barely having time to think about where else she might shop, the cell phone vibrated in her pocket, and then rang ‘God Save The Queen’, before Shay managed to flip it open and hear Dayle’s voice. They agreed to meet at the Rainforest Café in the mall, and then go back to Shay’s for some coffee, chat, and whatever else Shay could convince Dayle to do…the possibilities seemed endless.

Unfortunately, while dinner went well, what ensued afterward wasn’t at all what Shay had planned.

Shay hurried to her apartment, slapping her hand against the sensitive, and ultra modern exterior locking mechanism, and dashed inside. She wondered if Dayle would ever invite Shay over to see where she lived, but that question was in and out of her brain faster than lightning. Once inside the bags, and purse went onto the counter, and Shay started the coffee maker. That was nearly the last thing that went as planned.

When Dayle walked in, Shay coyly approached the Brit, with a smile, and a kiss, but didn’t get too involved. It was apparent there were things to be discussed, that neither had felt comfortable getting into at the restaurant, so they both took spots at opposite ends of the couch.

Shay had mentioned a little about her meeting Ana at dinner, but now went into more detail. The excitement of actually having a friend from outside the Domicile was written all over Shay’s face, and she hoped Dayle would be proud of her for finally doing what she had been prodded to do for the past few months.

Jumping up off the couch, Shay brought back the bags, and showed Dayle the cross she’d bought Ginnie, and the cuff links she’d purchased for Alec. That done, and having no real desire to get into a heavy discussion right then, Shay had crawled onto Dayle’s lap, and began doing her best to arouse the blond. Unhappily for Shay, Dayle interrupted the love play with suggestions that perhaps they could do something else for a change.

Talking, for instance, was one suggestion Dayle had, and as they talked, Dayle further suggested Shay think about going out with men, since she had yet to experience that type of relationship. Unable to see beyond herself, and her own recently formed ideas, Shay immediately took the suggestions to mean that Dayle either didn’t have the same level of attraction for Shay, as Shay had for her, or that Shay just wasn’t what the pretty Brit was interested in, period. In all fairness to Dayle, Shay would ultimately come to understand that her friend, and sometimes lover, was really only thinking about what she thought was best for Shay. Yet at that particular moment in time, Shay could not see this at all.

Words flew back and forth, heating up, then cooling off, a few kisses interspersed through out. However, it soon became apparent to Shay, that she really needed to do as Dayle wanted, in order to have all the information necessary to make the decision.

"So there then...I guess that's decided."

Shay was now standing. She'd gotten off Dayle's lap, and walked to stand against the counter in her kitchen. Tears had threatened, but Shay had managed to stave them off, and continued trying to regain her composure. Thinking she needed a tissue, one was soon floating toward her, from the box on top of the refrigerator. She blew her nose quickly, and tossed the soiled item into the nearby trash.

Dayle 17 years ago
"It's a shame you can't replace body parts the way you can car parts," Dayle thought to herself as Shay sullenly exited the living area of her apartment. "The way I'm going tonight, I could use a brain and mouth relay repair."

The suggestions had made sense to her. "Try new things." Shay was a young vampire who had a sense of self to rebuild. Dayle had thought about it for days, and decided she didn't want Shay to miss out on any opportunities that might arise.

But she'd let her mouth get away from her, her own emotions clouding the (what she thought was) selfless suggestion to try other things.

She stood, then moved to the archway entering Shay's kitchen. Feeling remorse as she saw the younger woman brush at her nose with a second tissue, she opened her mouth yet again. Surely a sign of trouble, she stated,
"I didn't sleep for the four days since that night, Shay. I lay awake in bed trying to think of what went on. I realized that you are a young vampire, with many many years of whatever you want in front of you. When I made the crazy assumption that you might want to spend some of those with me, it scared me, because I've never had any relationships, romantic ones, anyway, last longer than forty-eight or so years. And with you..." Dayle paused. "I also know you have a lot of new experiences to engage in. And you're doing a great job, but it again scared me to think, worried me to know that, you might want a lot of those to be with me, and what if I can't always provide for you in that way, what if something bad happens and we end up not being able to stand each other." Tears welled up and threatened to spill over. "Eternity is a long time to hate, Shay, and 'hate' is definately not an emotion I associate with you, on any level."
Shay 17 years ago
Torn between her own hurt, and wanting to be ‘adult’ about the circumstances, Shay continued to fight the tears, as Dayle joined her in the kitchen. At least now Shay could hear what the other woman was saying, and allowed the words to sink in.

Shay found it difficult though, trying to be adult when Dayle kept telling her just how young she was. And it wasn’t like she didn’t recognize she did lack experience in many things. However, when it came to the way she felt, she wasn’t at all sure experience would have made a difference, or changed anything.

She looked at Dayle, and saw what she thought might be weariness in the Brit’s eyes. It tugged at Shay’s heart, to know it was because of her that Dayle hadn’t slept, and because of her that Dayle was scared. Unfortunately, Shay just didn’t know what to do about the whole thing, short of doing what Dayle had asked. She had no statistics to dispute Dayle’s years of findings. All she had was her own feelings, here and now, and maybe Dayle was right.

Then again, what if Dayle was wrong? Which would be worse…to go with things as they were now, and enjoy each other, while running the risk of breaking up some day, or, call things off now, and never enjoy each other, or anyone else? The choices didn’t seem that hard to make.

“So then, let’s say I understand what you’re saying, and why you’re saying it. Let’s say we try things your way…and I go out and find other people to date, and experiences to have…and never do find anyone else that I feel toward, like I do toward you…lets’ say in six months time I’m still alone…if you’re still alone too, I suppose maybe then we could date again? But what about now? If I’m happy with you now, and you’re happy with me now…why can’t we be together now? I mean…is it very different when people fall in love and get married? There are always going to be risks…someone else might come along, one or both could fall out of love, something COULD happen to one of us. But isn’t there some truth to the adage…’it’s better to have loved and lost’.?”

Right now all Shay wanted was for things to be the way they had been, between her and Dayle. She was tired, and her earlier excitement had pretty much dissipated. She understood that anything a person wants badly enough, might require working at, to get, but right now she wanted to feed, and sleep. Tomorrow was another night, and she saw no reason the subject couldn’t be revisited then.

Yet she refrained from saying anything to Dayle, for fear of the other woman leaving. Even if Shay was going to start dating others…she wanted to have tonight in Dayle’s arms, and believe, even if a façade, that there were feelings there, one for the other.
Dayle 16 years ago
Dayle refrained from making any further comments about the pittance of "six months in a vampire's lifetime" point of view. She knew that Shay, as a barely six month old vampire - and person, really - still had not much of a concept of "the future." She pondered through Shay's questions and decided to jump right in at the end, knowing she didn't have much of a response for the "what ifs and suppose maybes."

"Sometimes, perhaps, someone would tell you," she said after a moment's pondering, "that it is better to have loved and lost. But just look at the lesson learned by K, from Men in Black... I'm sure you've seen that... He learned it isn't all that good of a tradeoff."

Dayle ran the back of her hand across her nose and cleared her throat. "There could be a third option. I only just thought of it, but I'm now thinking I shouldn't have, because it would only muddy the waters of our conversation here..."

She saw the "come on then" in Shay's eyes, and began, "We could do half and half. We date outside, experience other things outside, but come home to each other."
Shay 16 years ago
Shay did know the reference Dayle was making, as she recalled Tommy Lee Jones’ character dealing with the issue. But come on…that was a silly movie…not real life.

Refraining from pointing out the lack of relativity to their situation, Shay just nodded. Dayle’s next words shoved any further thoughts on that matter right out of her head.

Not wanting to answer too quickly, Shay kept her mouth closed until what she deemed was an appropriate amount of time, had passed. Then she responded in a way that she hoped Dayle wouldn’t see as being too eager. She wasn’t one hundred percent behind the suggestion, but for now it seemed it would be the only way she would get Dayle to continue seeing her.

“Hmmm…I suppose we could do that…like having our cake and eating it too?” There, that was what the pretty blond was suggesting, right? Shay’s mood had lightened, if for no other reason than things weren’t looking quite as bleak as they had been, only moments ago.

It never occurred to Shay to be jealous of Dayle, or her idea; however, the more she considered the ramifications of such an arrangement, the less sure she was in wanting to hear about it.

“My only stipulation, for now anyway, would be that we keep our trysts…well, perhaps not secret, but…I don’t know that I want to hear any details.” As long as Shay didn’t know any better, she could still pretend that she was the only person in Dayle’s life.

Besides, Shay still hadn’t convinced herself that there would ever be anyone else in her life. That just left Dayle…out there…pretty much playing the field on her own.

Sighing, Shay quickly covered up any hesitation with a smile. At least with that resolved for now, Shay still had Dayle with her tonight, and she planned on making the most of what was left of that night.

Mentally giving herself a shake, Shay’s eyes narrowed as they fixed upon Dayle’s, and her grin turned sly.

“Now that we’ve settled that, and the morning is only getting closer, I think whatever else we need to talk about, we should do…elsewhere?”

Moving toward Dayle, Shay’s eyes never strayed from the Brit’s. Licking her bottom lip, she felt a little predatory, and that feeling gave her a sense of strength that she knew couldn’t match her lover’s, but in her mind she could pretend otherwise.

For now, she was going to take charge.

Crooking her finger, Shay slid it inside the top of Dayle’s shirt, and pulled the other woman to her. Her other hand was placed on the side of Dayle’s thigh, but didn’t remain there long, instead circling around to cup the firm ass cheeks that belonged to no one but the divine Ms. Yolgrave. Not wanting to risk any interruptions, Shay began moving with Dayle, almost waltz like, as she directed the two of them to the bedroom. Nimble fingers quickly removing the material that separated Shay from the bounty beneath, by the time they reached the bedroom doorway, Dayle was all but nude, save for her panties.

With a squeal of delight, Shay released her captive, turned, and ran into the bedroom. As she headed to the bed, their final destination, Shay’s clothes departed her own body with much less finesse than Dayle’s disrobing. Situating herself on top of the bed, blankets thrown aside, Shay decided she would give Dayle every thing she had within her tonight. If they were going to be seeing other people, Shay wanted Dayle to have a strong image of what would be waiting for her at home.

(ooc – Shay and Dayle out)