Hey! How's tricks?

Feeling a vibration between her legs, Shay giggled. Reaching down she plucked her cell phone from where it was nestled, and looked at it. She had just pulled into the mall parking garage, so she wasn't in danger of getting into any trouble with her car, and could read the message clearly.

'Hi. CallMe or StopBy. Workin.'

Dayle. The message was sent by Dayle, and Shay giggled again to think she got it while her phone had been where it had been.

After missing a couple calls recently, while in her car with the radio blaring, Shay had taken to keeping her phone where she could feel when someone called. And her new plan worked like a charm. She never missed calls now.

After further concentration Shay began to chew her lip. Why hadn't Dayle called her? Why had she decided to just contact Shay? Shrugging, Shay guessed there must be some reason, and discarded her curiosity. Only one way to find out.

"Hi Dayle...just got your message...what's up?"Â?

Shay had wondered how she would treat their first contact, after what happened between them the last time they were together. She felt like she might owe Dayle an apology, but had yet to work that out well enough to call her lover quite yet. Now that Dayle had made the first move, Shay almost jumped with her 'I'm Sorry'. But she didn't. She still wasn't sure she had been the one in the wrong.

Then too...did it matter?

"I...I've missed you..."Â?

Dayle 16 years ago
Looking up from Ginnie's report of completing the "announcements" of Shalimar O'Mannon's death, she stared at the sudden ringing of her cellphone. Dayle hadn't expected so quick of a response; she'd gotten the report that Shay and Alec had left the building together but stopped keeping track after that, and had sent the text message on a whim.

"And I you. I just wanted to send you a 'hi how'reyou doin' message... maybe, I dunno, catch lunch or breakfast or drinks or ice cream sometime. Soon. Honestly didn't expect you to call back so soon, but your expediency is far from unwelcome. So uhm... Hi, and let me know when would be a good time for you."
Shay 16 years ago
Dayle sounded good, and though a little hesitant, not angry, or even upset anymore. Shay sighed in relief, but hopefully under her breath enough that Dayle wouldn't have heard.

"Thanks. I was going to call you too." Not sure why she had to offer that, Shay didn't elaborate. She really had decided to give Dayle a day or two more, and then call if the pretty blond hadn't first.

Yet there was a small bit of questioning in Dayle's words, that led Shay to wondering again. Maybe she had returned the call too soon. Dayle hadn't expected that, and yet she must have wanted to talk to Shay, or she wouldn't have sent the message in the first place...right?

"I could call back later, if you'd like." Shay teased, hoping Dayle recognized the silly offer as such.

"I was just pulling into the mall when I got the message, and was afraid if I didn't respond now and got caught up in shopping, I might forget until it was too late...to call tonight, I mean."

The more she talked, the flakier she sounded, so she took a deep breath before going on.

"I've nothing planned after shopping. I wanted to pick up a little something for Ginnie, and Alec." And you too, she thought.

While she'd been eating ice cream with Alec, Shay had gotten the idea to buy something nice...a token of her love and appreciation for both her parents, and perhaps a peace offering for Dayle. So she couldn't very easily offer to have Dayle meet her now.

"Or would it work better for you if we made it tomorrow?"

A little afraid of disappointing Dayle, Shay hoped later tonight would work out, but because she had responded sooner than Dayle was prepared for, she felt it necessary to offer a counter option. She now hoped her words didn't sound too desperate, or timid.
Dayle 16 years ago
Recognizing the teasing tone in Shay's voice was no major feat, but it was good that the woman was able to respond that way as opposed to what the older vampire had feared. "With the steel trap your mind has become, Shay, I doubt you'd forget to return a call, even if it was one to a dodgy old codger like me." She hoped the reverse teasing was evident in her own voice.

Counting the hours between "now" and "dawn," and imagining Shay could get truly lost in the Mall with her goals set, and Dayle's previous knowledge of having been up nearly forty-eight hours herself... The Brit shook off the slight disappointment she felt at the lack of "now" she hadn't realized she vaguely hoped for.
"Tomorrow works great, actually. My place, my office, yours? Somewhere... uhm, neutral?" She'd actually considered the possibility that a more neutral place for them to regain their footing with each other might be better than somewhere more... Private and intimate.

Dayle waited anxiously for Shay's response.

(( after Shay's response, Dayle will make her good byes, then out. ))
Shay 16 years ago
"Well, this is true...you being ready for a walker, glasses, and hearing aids. Oh, do you think they make false teeth with fangs?"

Shay was being totally loopy, but it felt good. Knowing Dayle was of a similar mood made it feel even better.

She couldn't help but frown when the soonest she would be seeing Dayle turned out to be tomorrow.

"Tomorrow it is then, but you'll have to choose the place. Remember, in all my inexperience, I've no idea really what's out there as far as restaurants...though I do recall seeing a little place here in the mall. I think it's called The Rainforest...looks like a ride at Disneyland, but the food might be good." And yet again Shay had to rely on what she'd seen on television for her references. Disneyland looked like a lot of fun, but only from a special she'd watched on the Disney channel.

Shay did think it wise to avoid both of their homes, in favor of meeting someplace public, where she wouldn't be tempted to turn the evening into a sex fest. What it was about Dayle that gave her such titillating feelings had yet to be fully explored, but knowing that was how it was, Shay was a little relieved to have temptation out of reach.

"You can give me a ring back when you decide, if you'd like, or leave me a message. I've no plans so I can work with any options."

What a great night this had turned into. Yes, it could have been even better, but the way things were looking, and all things considered, it was had become quite smashing.

"Anything you suggest will be smashing, I'm sure! "
Dayle 16 years ago
"Falsy fangs wouldn't work nearly as well as the real things, unfortunately. Unretractability would make them a real discomfort. And yes, I just made that word up." She tried to stifle a giggle at the mental image of either of them costumed as Shay described.

Dayle vaguely remembered the little place called The Rainforest, from her trips to the Mall to decorate with her sister. Smirking at the suggestion about giving a ring back, she replied,
"Sure, a ring back would be good, cause I'll be here at this bloody desk for another hour at least. Or I could give you a circus. You know. Three rings." Snickering quietly to herself she nodded (invisibly to Shay, of course) then replied, "So long as we're not smashing things on purpose, smashing success sounds better, actually. Until later then, Shay. G'night."

(( dayle out ))
Shay 16 years ago
When Shay's cell phone snapped shut, she caught a glimpse of herself in the rear view mirror. Such a goofy grin she was wearing!

Shaking her head, Dayle's words replayed in Shay's head.

"Three rings...circus..." Laughing still, Shay remembered she hadn't fully parked, but was happy the lot wasn't full. Fortunately there were no angry shoppers in cars waiting behind her as she sat through her goofy but delightful conversation.

Once she had parked, she grabbed her purse, and walked into the mall. First stop, jewelry store.
Shay 16 years ago
Though she didn't realize it until the salesman cleared his throat, Shay had been in the store for at least thirty minutes, and had yet to purchase a thing.

Who knew buying a cross would be so difficult?

After her talk with Alec, and wanting to buy something nice for her mother, Shay had settled on the idea of a cross. The symbolism, and apparent religious sentimentality Ginnie might associate with such a gift, was important to Shay. The problem was she had no real idea of what style Ginnie might like.

The gold ones were nicer than the silver, but that was as far as she'd gotten in her decision making. Would Ginnie like something plain, and modern, or something intricate, and classic? There were a lot more to choose from than Shay had imagined, so she really didn't feel bad for keeping...'Charles'...from any other customers.

"Are you sure these are all you have...Charles?" His name tag held both his first and last name, but his last name was something that appeared Russian, or Polish, or Armenian, or something, and Shay doubted she'd get it right on her first attempt. If he had appeared less 'snooty' she might have asked, but she also didn't relish the idea of being dealt with in an condescending manner tonight.

When Charles left to go into the back to check...seeming to dislike the need to do so, Shay glanced over at the men's jewelry briefly.

She hadn't considered buying Alec jewelry, but had yet to firmly decide just what she was going to buy him. Though she could envision him all decked out in a suit or tux, with Ginnie decked out equally fine, and at his side, they just didn't seem to be the type of thing he'd have much occasion to wear. She was halted from further decisions there, with the return of Charles.

In his hand, the jeweler carried a flat, black tray, with six more crosses, and chains. These were all gold, though some were twenty four carat, instead of the usual fourteen. It wasn't the color that caught Shay's eyes though, but the design on the crosses.

"What is this design? It's lovely." Shay's fingertip traced the lines as they twisted across the cross, and immediately found the one she wanted to buy. When the clerk told her they were Celtic, and even offered her a short definition of the word, Shay knew she'd found the perfect give for Ginnie.

"That's it. That's the one I want. Could you put it into a nice box please, and on my card."

Reaching into her wallet, Shay extracted her credit card, and handed it over to the salesman.

'What a relief that is...I sure hope she likes it.' Shay had whispered her comment under her breath, but guessed anyone nearby might have heard. Not that it mattered.

As the necklace was being packaged up, Shay moved to the window, and looked over the things on display there. Nothing jumped out at her, mainly because it was mostly wedding rings. But she could still appreciate the beauty in the stones, and settings.
Shay 16 years ago
Once Shay had her gift in hand, she left the jewelry store, and began to casually walk along, stopping, and peering into nearly every window she passed. It was important that she find a gift for Alec, since she wanted to present both he and Ginnie with one at the same time.

It aggravated her not to have an idea pop into her head as readily as the one for Ginnie had, but she wasn't about to give up.

Ties, shoes, suits...sporting equipment, candles, stationary, it was incredible that with so many stores, she wasn't having better luck with her search.

She wasn't growing bored though, or even that anxious, since in addition to her window looking, she was also people watching. After her lesson earlier with Alec, Shay discovered a new interest in people, and while she watched them she wondered what kind of home they would return to later, and who might be waiting for them. Every so often she would delve a bit deeper into her thoughts of one or two specific people...who usually were of the 'beautiful people' variety, but for the most part her musings remained more superficial, and analytical.

Passing by a store that said 'Discovery' on it, Shay picked up a catalog, and walked over to a bench to sit down. Rather than mess around with the crowd in the store, she decided to check out their wares in the book first. If anything struck her fancy, she would then go into the store, and see the object up close.
Montana 16 years ago
The wedding prep had been getting to her. Calling florists. Calling caterers. Fending off strangely erratic advances from Joey, and trying to work her head around whatever it was that he wasn't telling her. Shay's death. Oh, God, that woman's call... Janine Halloway... So surprising.

Ana's shifts at the library had begun to fluctuate, from split shifts to early mornings to afternoons to evenings. The rearrangement of her daily regimen, schedule, and habits, as well as all of the other issues, had taken a toll, and she just needed to get out for a night.

Somehow, she'd found herself pulling into the parking lot of the Mall.

And wandering. Endlessly wandering, absorbing the cacaphony of silence about her. It was so loud, she decided as she walked past Modells, Foot Locker, Spencer's, and Friendlys', that it was actually soothing and silent, in her head.

Until she saw the reflection of the woman in front of the jewelry store she'd just walked past. Spinning on her heel, the apparition was gone. Had she actually seen... her? Blinking her eyes forcefully, wondering if perhaps the pressure she'd come to avoid combined with the agony she felt for losing yet another friend, she shook her head and continued on her trek.

Borders, the Pet Store, Radio Shack... she found herself circling around to retrace the way she came, on the off chance she wasn't going crazy. When she reached the Discovery store, she stopped, convinced that what she had seen had been her imagination running exhaustedly rampant. She virtually flopped down on the bench in front of the store, at the far end of the seat from a woman reading the Discovery catalog. Holding her purse between her legs, she took her glasses off and wiped them with a sleeve. To no one in particular, she said aloud,
"Ever have one of those days where you're just so stressed you're seeing the strangest things?"
Shay 16 years ago
Halfway through the catalog, Shay heard the voice of a woman who had just sat down next to her. Glancing up from the pages, she regarded the brunette casually, then looked back to the ant farms for sale.

"Hmmm...no, can't really say I have, but then almost everything I see is strange initially."

She was responding to the question, though she wasn't sure it hadn't been rhetorical. And her response was almost more to herself, than the other woman.

However, having never been approached by a stranger in such a manner, her curiosity got the better of her, and she looked back to the woman quickly.

"What did you see?" Why the woman was stressed was also of interest to Shay, but propriety dictated she not get overly roused yet. Her question seemed much more appropriate for the circumstances.
Montana 16 years ago
That voice! Ana was barely able to keep her head from snapping around to stare at the woman next to her. Sliding her glasses back onto her nose, she prevented herself from gaping as she recognized the gently curved face of Shalimar O'Mannon. But... something was vastly different. In the not-quite familiar blue green eyes, she saw curiosity, but nothing else. No recognition, no concern, not much of any other emotions at all. Just... curiosity.

Sadness weighed in her heart as she realized that. She wondered if Shay had truly died, or become so severely amnesiac... or this woman held a resemblence so striking she could have played for the Yankees as a pitcher. Heaviness colored her voice as she remarked sadly,
"I thought I saw a very dear friend who had passed a while ago... It must have just been my imagination. Do you... do you believe in the supernatural? In ghosts? I do... I also believe in coincidences, UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis, but that's neither here nor there." The rambling quote from one of her favorite movies made her eyebrow arch amusedly, but she just couldn't feel the mirth she wanted from the obviously funny joke.
Shay 16 years ago
“Wow, that must have been very disconcerting…”

Shay nodded, though really didn’t understand fully why such an experience would have been so sad. She thought if you lost someone dear, and then saw someone who reminded you of them, it should be a happy experience. Unless the reasons for passing were so heinous and ugly, that they were best left unremembered.

She was glad it was nothing she had to address. Loss of memory apparently had another perk.

Before she could offer any solace to the young woman who seemed so sad, the conversation had expanded to go beyond a single recent memory, to encompass a vast variety of subjects.

“Who ya gonna call?!” Shay giggled when she recalled the movie quoted. Ghostbusters had been quite a delightful look into the silly world of spectral beings. That Shay herself could be deemed ‘supernatural’ was something she never equated with ghosts. In her mind, ghosts didn’t exist, any more than werewolves, mummys, or undead monsters like that one of Frankenstein.

“Coincidences…mental telepathy…telekinesis…” That word gave Shay a seconds pause, but that was all. It tickled her to think just how she could show the young woman that some of her beliefs were well founded. Yet not knowing the woman well enough to trust her with the knowledge, Shay withheld performing any examples of her own personal gift.

“Those things I believe in…but I doubt ghosts exist…I mean…you haven’t actually seen any, have you?”

Finding her bench-mate to be an interesting change from the catalog she’d been skimming, Shay closed the magazine, and slid it under her purse, and package, on her lap. Her attention was now all for the conversation.
Montana 16 years ago
Mutedly giggling - though not much more than a few quick exhalations from her nose - in return to the other woman's recognition of her movie joke, she nodded and slowly let out her breath, hoping it would take the sadness she felt with it.

"Sometimes there's things we just can't explain. Sometimes people try to science it away, or open a can of Faith-be-gone, but I know for a fact there's things like that out there." She waved her hand expansively as she said "out there." Shrugging one shoulder, she said, "How else would you explain me seeing what I thought I saw? Or the keys being on the kitchen counter instead of in my purse where I left them? Life throws you some weird things sometimes, and there's not always an easy way to describe it or answer it."

Scratching her nose for a moment, Ana realized that the woman she was talking to wasn't the woman she knew. She continued on, "Like Santa Claus. People say he's not real, and while there -" she glanced around to make sure there weren't any young children nearby "- may not be one with a sleigh and reindeer, bells and chimney magic, I think the spirit of Santa lives on in each one of us. So there really is one. Billion. Know what I mean?" She wasn't quite sure her rambling was making sense, even to herself.
Shay 16 years ago
“Or, it could be that this person was just on your mind at that particular moment, and a resemblance made the memory more obvious? I’m sorry…I’m totally guessing there though. I’m afraid my memory sucks royally, and haven’t really ever experienced anything like that.”

To say the least…Shay now wondered how long it would take for her to build memories, that she might look back and recognize someone from her past. Or, in other words, how long does it take for someone to build a past?

Though she still didn’t believe what the woman was saying, about the inability to explain things, Shay wasn’t about to contradict her. Not only was it not in her make up to do so, she didn’t have the knowledge necessary even if it had been.

Yet she still felt like she should offer up some sort of comfort, for the discomfort the woman seemed to have been feeling.

“You’re lucky you have…faith. I suppose it’s good to have something to help you through those times when you can’t find reasons otherwise. I was just talking to my father earlier about religion, and faith…my mother is very religious.”

Shay shrugged herself, as if to indicate she didn’t really understand, but was accepting of things the way they were.

“Santa Claus…the tooth fairy…Easter bunny…aren’t those just stories for children though?”

Having just experienced her one and only Christmas, Shay really hadn’t had time to devote much thought to the ‘spirit’ of the season. Sure she understood about giving, and showing people you care with tokens of appreciation, and love, but in her mind that was the way life should be…24/7. She thought it a little sad even, that people waited for specified times of the year to show that side of themselves.

“I mean…is there any reason that we shouldn’t have such a…spirit, if you choose…all the time?”

Unconsciously Shay’s fingers rubbed lightly across the small bag in her lap, that held the gold cross she’d bought for Ginnie.
Montana 16 years ago
"I'm not very religious," Ana said decisively, "but I have certain things I believe in, and am very sure of. I guess you could say I have faith in the weird," she giggled.

"Why do such fantastic stories have to be restricted to only children believing in them? The Tooth Fairy has roots - haha, get it, roots? - in old legends where children would throw their lost teeth onto the roof, or under the floor, in a strange prayer of sorts to hope that their teeth grow all life long. The rabbit, or hare, was an ancient symbol of fertility. And through some long evolution of people's thoughts and stories, we end up with the Easter Bunny. And as far as Santa Claus is concerned, Saint Nicholas was a real person, back in the third century or so, who was known for giving gifts. But with the continued commercialization of each of the respective holidays... the true spirit - ones that I try to hold dear - gets lost in the shuffle."

Ana suddenly got quiet, realizing she was rambling, wondering if she was boring her companion. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to ramble on or bore you or anything, but well, you did ask, and made yourself a willing target. But feel free to tell me to shut up and go on reading your catalog or just ignore me as a strange mall walker and go on about your night." Her voice choked a little at the end; she didn't truly want the woman-she-thought-was-Shay to leave, but found herself extremely reluctant to actually give her name, for fear of finding out something she wasn't sure she wanted to know.
Shay 16 years ago
“Are you a teacher?”

Shay asked, somewhat mesmerized by the other woman’s little speech. So much information, most of which Shay found quite interesting, was spilling from the woman’s mouth, and Shay was drinking it all in happily.

“I don’t suppose there is any rule that you can only have faith in certain things, but I will say I’ve never heard of having faith in the weird.”

Shay’s chuckles merged with the other woman’s, and she found herself really enjoying the companionship, as well as the details she was learning about.

“It’s interesting though, don’t you think, how things evolve? From throwing teeth up on the roof, to putting them under your pillow?” The image of some poor parent climbing onto a roof to exchange a tooth for a dollar made Shay giggle all over again.

Waving off the other woman’s apology, Shay shook her head concurrently.

“Don’t be silly…I find all this very entertaining…if it’s okay to say that? I really don’t know a lot about such things, but hearing you talk about them…maybe you should consider being a teacher? And believe me, I don’t get out much, so it’s nice that when I do I get a chance to meet and talk to live people.”

More giggles ensued, as Shay realized just how true that statement was. It also contained information she wasn’t going to be imparting to this young woman anytime soon.
Montana 16 years ago
"No, no no. I'm even -more- geeky than a teacher... I'm a librarian! I'm not quite sure I have the patience to be a teacher, though I wouldn't mind summers off for vacation, mind you," she winked at the woman, "but I also like the relative regularity of the nine to five workweek. Or as the case is this week, one to ten. Who'da thunk that a city would actually have a twenty four hour library? I certainly didn't, until I moved here."

Ana got a far away look, smiling, as she related, "Especially one that would cater to children so completely. I lucked out and didn't have to dress up as the Easter Bunny for the reading of Peter Cottontail this year. Something about no longer being the low girl on the totem pole. That threw me for a loop... I never pictured my position at the library as being that particular of a hierarchy."

"Then again," she mused, "I never did meet the new person."
Shay 16 years ago
Shay didn’t repudiate the woman’s ‘geeky’ comment, but she also didn’t consider it a bad thing. In her mind, ‘geeky’ meant knowledgeable, and probably because of her lack thereof, she was drawn to anyone that seemed to have that trait. At least she thought that now.

“Nachton seems a plethora of late night places…always good for…”

Remembering that this woman was NOT someone she knew, and consequently not in the know of Shay or her life, she stopped her train of thought before if availed more of Shay than appropriate.

She didn’t like hiding things, which was a huge reason she hadn’t put herself out in public much yet. Sales clerks, and beauticians were one thing, but anything other than casual acquaintances could be deadly. Her near miss there was enough to make her wonder if she shouldn’t leave, and get back to her shopping.

Yet she didn’t. She liked talking to this person, and decided she would just need to be more careful about what she might say.

“Well you seem patient to me, but being a librarian does explain your brightness. You must know an incredible amount of stuff.”

The mention of the woman’s job pricked into Shay a little, since that was another subject that she had yet to come to terms with. Her training was moving right along, but as of yet she had no reason to put any of it into practice.

“You say that like you’ve lost the chance…can’t you still meet the new person?”

The words came out of Shay’s mouth before she could really think about them, and once said she knew she really didn’t care what the woman’s answer was, but if nothing else it helped move the conversation along, and not run the risk of them going back to more dangerous subjects.

“I envy you having a job you like…I mean, you seem to really like what you do. I’m not currently employed, but am still in training, and hoping soon I’ll have something to do with my nights.”
Montana 16 years ago
The hesitation she heard at the end of "always good for" just about confirmed some of her fears. She stowed the thought away for later, though, as the woman complimented her.

Smiling gratefully, she shrugged at the next question.
"Ironically enough, I also seem to have inherited the mantle of Library Trainer, and as such see a little bit of turnover in my staff. She was only in my branch for a week before getting shuffled off out of the city. And before you say," she said, raising a hand politely to forestall any argument, "that a trainer is the same as a teacher, it's really not. All I do is give them library-specific rules and procedures and set them loose, then answer questions if they have any. I'm just the resource, and not the end result."

Nodding sympathetically at the comment about still training, the end mention of "nights" again locked in her thought. "Well even if you are more of a night owl, there's day work to be done, too."

A sharp vibration in her purse alerted her to the ringing of her cell phone. "I think, though, that my shopping excursion has come to a sudden and abrupt end." Reaching into her purse, she pulled out a business card and pen, and quickly jotted a number on the back. Handing it to her bench companion, she offered, "If you need even a temp job, and don't mind trudging books, we have an opening or two, or if you just need some pointers on references and resources, give me a call. I'm Ana, by the way." Holding the card out in her left hand, she offered her right.
Shay 16 years ago
Her next words were clipped short when the woman discounted 'training' as anything relative to 'teaching'. Shay could have easily argued that they were indeed the same thing, but saw nothing to be gained in doing so.

Day work...Shay gasped inwardly at the idea. Of course she didn't make any comments on that notion. To have done so would have risked exposing more of herself to someone she couldn't yet trust, if ever.

It was becoming evident that having friends outside the domicile would take a great deal of work. Sadly Shay wasn't sure she was ready to tackle that concept, at least not in anything but a casual instance. Out of curiosity, she would ask Dayle how large her human circle of friends was, and possibly go from there.

Yet this woman seemed interesting enough to warrant meeting up with again sometime. For now it also seemed that the visit was drawing to a close. The phone call surprised Shay, but reminded her she had another one to make herself.

Taking the business card, Shay shook the offered hand, and gave the card a cursory glance.

"I don't think I'd do very well in a library...I can't tell you the last time I was even in one, to be honest...but I do appreciate the offer. I won't say no outright though...you just never know when it might turn out to be just the trick.

Thank you...Ana, by the way." Shay laughed at her silly joke, and stood up. Opening her purse she exchanged Ana's card for one of her own, and handed it to the young woman.

"It was very nice to meet you, even if not in the most conventional of ways. Perhaps I'll come by the library and get some suggestions from you for a little light reading, as well as some reference materials. I don't have a lot of friends...I haven't really been around very long...so I hope you won't mind?"

Still caught up in the experience of making a new friend, Shay totally forgot to vocally introduce herself as well, but now her thoughts had moved on to telling Dayle of her encounter, and possibly making arrangements with her lover for the rest of the night.

"I do need to call someone now though....your call reminded me...I hope you enjoy your evening."

Not lingering any longer than it took to make a short wave, Shay turned, and flipped open the phone she'd retrieved from her purse, hitting the speed dial for Dayle.