Morbid Duties

Ginnie watched the flames of the four candles, providing the only light in the dark apartment, flicker and weave in the unfelt breeze of the air circulating itself. In her hand was an opened cell phone that was going through it's picture flashing wind down into sleep mode. It's now dark screen hid a phone number with a California area code. She was working up the strength to detach herself from this phone call. It was strange to be back in this thought loop again. She thought she'd purged it after the fire, but it seemed not. She was tired and weary and in need of solace that would not be had this night. Her lover was out on business and her child was at training.

A sighed breath set the candles to wavering and shadows dancing along the walls. She pressed a button on the phone and brought the blue screen back to life. Another button press and the phone was ringing in her hand. She placed it to her ear and on the third ring it was answered by a young male voice.

"Hello?"Â?

"Hello, is this the O'Mannon household?"Â?

"It is. Can I ask who's calling?"Â?

"My name is Janine Holloway, I am with the Nachton Medical Examiners office. I need to speak with either Matt, Pam, Patrick, please."Â?

"This is Patrick. What is this about."Â?

"I am sorry, Mr. O'Mannon, but I have the unhappy duty to inform you that your sister, Shalimar O'Mannon's body was found in a car fire three weeks ago. We were unable to identify her until just yesterday."Â?

"Oh, Oh God. What? How...how did this happen? Oh, God."Â?

Ginnie sighed, she had to be detached, no feeling, very business like just like the ME she watched for a week. "We are unsure as to the entirety of the circumstances, Mr. O'Mannon. She was found in a car that was fully engaged in what we determined was a bomb made fire, she was placed in the car and posed. We know that she did not die in the fire, but was at least three days dead prior to the fire. It appears she died from blunt force trauma to the head. We've been unable to find any forensic evidence to lead up to who did this, but we are continuing to investigate. Her body had been released and due to its condition it was cremated."Â?

"Ok...ok. So, uh, now what?"Â?

"An agent of the Nachton Medical Examiners office will be boarding a flight out of NIA tomorrow morning, the agent will deliver Ms. O'Mannon's remains and the few personal effects from her vehicle to you, along with a death certificate and the court order that allows you to send an personal agent or for you to enter the home yourself to collect the rest of her belongings."Â?

"Alright, ok. Thanks."Â?

"I am sorry for your loss, Mr. O'Mannon. If you have any further questions, please contact me. Have you a pen? I can give you my number."Â?

"Uh, yeah, yeah, go ahead."Â?

"Ok, it is 555-8956, that is my personal extension, so you will not need to ask for me or go through our automated system."Â?

"Once again I am sorry for your loss."Â?

"Ok thanks."Â?

"Good-bye, Mr. O'Mannon."Â?

"Yeah, bye."Â?

The phone went dead in her ear. Ginnie lowered the little silver gadget, it was a pre-paid untraceable number, so she had no worries about being found. With another sigh, she closed the dossier on the O'Mannons and placed it to the side. She stared at the other dossiers that lay open before her on the table. Each held the information for the people in Shay's date book, cell phone, and lap top. She selected the next one in line and dialed the number.

Ginnie 17 years ago
It rang three times before a soothing male voice answered "Thank you for calling The Studio. We are located in the shadow of the Meridian towers, where we offer adult dance classes in many styles and all skill levels. If you would like more information, please leave your name and telephone number, be sure to speak slowly and clearly, and some one will return your call as soon as we are able. Thank you and have a pleasant day."

Ginnie sighed. "Hello, my name is Janine Holloway, I am with the Nachton Medical Examiners office. I need for Wren Saunders to return my call at 555-8956, as soon as possible. Thank you."

She pressed the end call button and changed Wren's file for the next in line. She sighed softly, she recognized this one as being the girl she's been incredibly unpleasant to at Cyrus' party oh so long ago. Such a small and crappily arranged world they lived in. She dialed and it was picked up on the second ring.

"'Lo?" said a muffled voice, making Ginnie wondered what she'd interrupted, probably the poor things sleep, though at six in the evening that would be unusual, unless she was prone to nap. 'Oh my god, why the hell do I even care?'

"Hello, my name is Janine Holloway, I am with the Nachton Medical Examiners office. I need to speak with Montana Kensington."

She heard a brief muffled oompfh, the rustle of cloth and a thud like something fell. "This is Ana."

"Miss Kensington, I am calling to inform you of the death of Miss Shalimar O'Mannon. She was found in the remains of a car fire three weeks ago."

"Oh, oh, my God. Are you sure it was her?"

"Yes ma'am, it takes time to get DNA back, thus the elapsed time, but we are certain it was her."

A sniffle, followed by another soft thud and cloth shifting. "Um, is there something I need to do or something."

"No, ma'am, her remains are being taken to her family. You are welcome to contact them, if you've the means, but I am simply calling to inform you. It is sadly my duty to do so, as she has no family in the Nachton area."

"Ok, um what if I." sniffle, cloth rustle "have questions?"

"Then you are welcome to call me at 555-8956."

"Oh, ok thanks."

"I'm sorry for your loss, Miss Kensington."

"Thank you, um Medical Examiner."

"Good bye."

"Bye."

On and on, over and over, Ginnie had the same conversation with Shay's former life. Wren finally called her back at around ten thirty and when that sad conversation was over, Ginnie called the papers, and several news stations in Nachton, California, and New York, where her publisher and agent lived. By this time tomorrow the world would know that prominent author, Shay O'Mannon was dead, kidnapped, tortured, killed, then set on fire. It was sad and tragic and was the final chapter in Shay's human life.

She was well and truly free to be a vampire. To live her life unhindered by the past. Ginnie was happy, happy that her daughter had closure along with the humans that had been her life, but she was still feeling incredibly melancholy. She knew this would pass, and the best way to get her mind off it, was to go out and raise some hell of her own.

((Ana and Patrick conversations done with permission.))