Teaching an old dog old tricks (open)

Having had a long relaxing bath and a few days spent in his bed, Darius felt many times better, still a fragment of his former self. He still needed the cane to walk long distances, but for the majority he could function somewhat normally.

Feeling restless, he donned a pair of jogging pants and a t shirt and went looking for the training facilities. In his hands he carried a wooden practice sword, and a portable CD player. He found the building in short time and set his player down and plugged it in. Killswitch engage screamed from its speakers

He was amazed at what the facility had inside it, nearly everything one could ask for.
He decided to start out simple. Using basic exercises to gage how far his agility had gone. He started with a jump rope first. He started slow; he could feel muscles in his calves burning after just a few repetitions. He tried to speed up, but instead fell on his face. He picked himself up and started again. He was able to hold his course for some time; he began to find his balance restoring. He increased the pace. After some more repetition, he was able to alternate jumps with one leg then another. Sweat fell in gushes from his hair and face as he kept up the seemingly feverish pace. His legs screamed for oxygen as he persevered. He locked the pain out of his mind. He visualized his prey. In the grip of a feral fury he didn't even concentrate on coordinating his hands and legs anymore, he didn't have to. Nature took over. He would continue at his present speed until his sides started burning. As he felt himself becoming increasingly depraved of oxygen, he slowed himself before stopping.

Nevermore's "The river dragon has come"Â? boomed from CD player. He took deep breaths in an effort to alleviate the fatigue in his muscles. His legs felt nearly numb. He however wasn't satisfied. Walking over to the CD player he picked up his wooden practice sword. It was nothing special, merely a wooden replica of the roman long sword he was accustomed to. He centered himself in what appeared to be a dueling ring and worked himself into a battle trance. He visualized battling his opponent, his most worthy adversary, a descendant of his own blood. Darius went into his old routines, sets of attacks and blocks he learned from his experience in martial arts. As he started the moves came slow and sloppy but became more fluid as he continued. He was still nowhere near what he was, but there was only one way to get back to that point. He was able to get familiar with the basic moves but still found difficulty in the more challenging parries and attacks. His shirt was soggy with sweat.Somewhat irritated with himself , He walked over to the drinking fountain and helped himself to a generous amount of water. Still panting from the exertion, he sat himself on the floor.

"Damn it, you fucker you are gonna pay for this."Â? He whispered to himself. Heat pumped from his body as he continued to breathe heavily.

Apollyon 17 years ago
Having spelled his fatigue enough he stood back up and headed over to the weight bench. Looking at his deflated arms, he decided he better start somewhat light. In his prime he was able to lift enough weight to make a steroid ridden strong man blush. He started light, loading 300 pounds onto the steel bar. He maneuvered himself under it, resting on the bench below. Because of his height it took some adjusting to get the correct position. Wrapping his hands around the steel pole, he began doing presses. He had little difficulty, so he slowed the pace. He was attempting to target the muscles involved with stability, not so much strength. After 10 or so reps he put the bar back on its proper post and proceeded to add a substantial amount of weight. Maneuvering himself below it again he began doing presses again. his muscles tightened as he exerted himself with the much greater burden. He slowed the repetitions as much as possible, savoring the burn coursing through the muscles in his arms. After strenuous exertion, he rested the bar back where it belonged and proceeded to take the weight off. Walking back to where he was before, he picked up the sword again and went back to practicing his forms. God only knows how long he engaged himself in the swordplay, and he didn't really much care.
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Things had been fucking confusing. The imprisonment that the big guy had been subjected to had brought her daymares to the forefront again. She hadn't expected that. So much about the big ass Italian wasn't what she'd expected. Were all Romans as complex as Darius and Sorin? Well, she seemed to get on well enough with both of them, so maybe there was something to be said for the people of that boot-lookin' peninsula.

Realizing that she'd unconsciously prepped herself for a workout (sports bra, trunks, and she'd wrapped her wrists, hands, ankles and shins), she decided to give in to what she evidently needed this evening. As was her way, she'd left most everything else that she'd needed over in the gym. Grabbing a bottle of water and tossing it into a sling bag, she jogged once around the compound and then to the gym. It had gotten cold again despite the brief break in winter the last couple of days. She wasn't much of a fan of this much cold. Still, it was a different aspect to take into account when working out, and it wasn't something she could control. May as well get pissed that the moon wasn't full all the time.

Reaching the gym, she heard unfamiliar music. Checking her reflection as she entered for wisps of hair that had come undone while running, she decided to change her hair to fire engine red later that night. Upon entering, she wasn't surprised at all to see big guns working out - their interests seemed to coincide on a lot of fronts. Making the conscious effort to keep her voice at a normal pace and to limit her accent, she asked

"So how's the restoration project goin', Cobra Commander?"
Apollyon 17 years ago
He was still frustrated. 1500 years of proficiency and 1 year in captivity fucks it all up. He was making small strides. He wanted instant gratification. Performing several blocks, he countered his spectral enemy with a slash across the throat. He continued his form practice with a form he created called "Spartan". Basically it was a form intended for use when defending against several enemies at once. It was quite difficult, but a great workout. he was in the last stages of "Spartan" when he heard someone come near. He didn't relent from his form. He had a hard time recognizing the person's voice. Performing a parry, he finished the form by delivering a thrust to the final enemy's heart. His balance shifted, he faltered forward.

"Damn it" he growled to himself. Turning to greet the other occupant of the gym, he gave dawn a nod of acknowledgment.

"Going about as well as a French offensive. I'd hold my own in a fight about as well as a geriatric paraplegic." he shook his head a bit and finished."Yourself?"
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
"I could probably whoop a geriatric paraplegic's ass, but I've never tried."

The sword thing he'd been doing was different from the stuff she'd seen. She wasn't much of a weapons fighter, though - she'd learned some basics and realized she liked her violence to be more personal. Maybe his was an old Italian thing.

"Was that vintage European, or just playin' around? Either way, I've not seen it before."

He really was needing some bringing back up to speed if he was going to take on someone that was cool enough to bag him at his prime.
Apollyon 17 years ago
"well you feel pretty tough afterwards." Darius replied with a chuckle.

He could read from her eyes he was definitely pretty fucking far off.He gave a slight frustrated sigh.

"Well It's supposed to be a form or Kata I created from my studies of the martial arts.I spent a significant amount of time in china and incorporated that into the fighting style I learned from my trainers in Rome. Armed and unarmed combat has been my livelihood ever since I've been a boy. but I called that "Sparta". It's a form I created that's designed for fighting when your hopelessly outnumbered. You know that movie that's out now called "300?" " he paused."I named it in reference to that legend. I should be able to give you a more fluid demonstration in a week or so. I've gotten rusty before,"He inhaled,"but this is pretty new territory to me. Just gotta relearn the basics, the rest will come with it."
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Nodding, Dawn hoped to never be in that position. Rust was hard to scrape away - better to just maintain the machine in working order. Not to mention the confinement.

"I guess I'm not much different. Always in fights. Just never really worked with weapons, y'know? Never saw the point with guns around. But if they're holdin' ya up or whatever, they want something. If they want something, they'll get close. Not always enough time for pulling a concealed weapon, but more than enough time to shove your fingers through their eyes or something fun."

Looking him up and down, Dawn smirked.

"But then, bein' 6 foot a bunch and three times my wieght, you don't exactly have 'victim stereotype' written all over, do ya? You prolly didn't get underestimated too much."

Dawn had. Gave her enough time to learn what she was actually doing. By the time she knew, she'd needed it.
Apollyon 17 years ago
Nodding at Dawn's statement Apollyon retorted. "Well once gunpowder came along, I took full advantage.I probably know enough about firearms to make Charlton Heston shit his pants.But don't underestimate ye old blade. There's something, well, elegant about a good swordfight.Plus, when you're dealing with vampires, sometimes guns come up a bit short."Pausing a moment he pondered his nemesis. "And there's something a little more personal about plunging your weapon right through your enemy, and watching the light leave their eyes." moving his mind back into their conversation he continued."I don't really know how my enemy perceives me, but if that's the case, I'd take it as a compliment. Anything less than 100 percent from my enemy is an insult, and a dishonorable victory."
Cyrus 17 years ago
Since Fallon was off doing some wedding planning or shopping or whatever it was that kept her so busy these days, Cyrus had decided to visit the Manor. A brief visit to the gym would go him good. It was not something he did frequently, as he felt it was quite an artificial environment to test your strengths but today he wished to run but not go anywhere. Padding on soft paws to the door nearest the gym, he deftly opened the door with a thought and ventured inside. Rather than freak too many people out Cyrus returned to his human form as he made his way to the exercise room.

Silver glinted in the artificial light from hoops adorning each piercing and his recently trimmed hair fell just short of dangling in his eyes. The black cotton shorts contrasted to the white tee shirt but matched the somewhat out of date running shoes. Those were a testament as to how frequently the urge struck him.

Entering the gym he nodded to the clanmates there before realizing that Darius was back. With a small bow and smile he greeted the pair.

"Darius, welcome back. Evening Dawn."

((Hope you two dont mind company. Permission to view the shifting.))
Apollyon 17 years ago
Darius returned the bow given by his brethren.

"Thanks" he replied.

He decided against going into any detail about where he had actually been. That would be something he would come to when the time was right.

"Had some loose ends in the city I had to tie up. Feels good to be back though"

He directed his eyes to Dawn and shot her with a glance. Moving away from the topic, he asked his clansmen,

"So, what's new?"
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Dawn just stared as Cyrus moved from feline to human. She just couldn't get over how cool the different gifts were.

"Man, I never git tired'a that! SO awesome. Hiya Cyrus!"

At the mountain's response, she wrinkled her nose. She wasn't about to lie to anyone about things, but she could keep her mouth shut if that was what he wanted. But if that was the route he was going to go, they would need to get him back in working order much faster.
Cyrus 17 years ago
It was good to see a clanmate return home. Tying up loose ends seemed never ending at their age so he simply nodded with a quirk of a sympathetic smile.

"Been doing a lot of that myself lately."

Chuckling slightly at Dawn's reaction he wondered how she would respond at his 'jogging' technique. It was pretty unconventional and he really had not envisioned anyone hanging out at this time of night in the gym of all places. With Nachton being the late night city it was, there was plenty of things to go out and do. Perhaps he should consider that people enjoyed the activity but found that hard to believe mainly because he did not for the most part.

Turning to the treadmill he inspected the controls while he vaguely wondered if Dawn had ever seen a born clouded leopard. If not it was just a shame, they were amazing cats.

"Mind if I run? I feel the need but the desire to stay close to home is more pressing."

Deciding that it seemed simple enough he strode to the towels and got one for his use, as well as a bottle of water from the selection. Standing beside the machine he would use he did a few simple muscle relaxing stretches. Just simple standing rolls of his joints before answering Darius' question.

"Everything feels new really. You met Fallon but in the last year she went from a prospective meal to my adopted fledgling to my mate. She is planning a wedding ceremony for this spring. Bought a nice property not far from here with acreage to run and built a safe haven. We finally finished the second story with accommodations for clan if needed that is not noticeable to humans."

Stepping onto the platform of the machine he pushed the buttons as the instructions printed on the face said to and soon the belt was moving. Starting slowly he set up a good pace before grinning at the larger man.

"Life has been pretty good. She can shift into a bobcat which makes things just about perfect. Of course, by Horde standards she has been my wife since I stole her away from Panos." A mean edged bark of laughter escaped as his feet pounded faster.
Apollyon 17 years ago
He cracked a smile when he mentioned he and his companion were due to become betrothed.It was good to hear at least something positive was going on while he was "detained".

"I'm very happy for you. It can be somewhat difficult to find someone you can live with and trust. Especially at our age." he paused a moment, "at least I've found." as an afterthought he finished.

"Congratulations." after a brief moment, he returned to Cyrus' first question.

"By all means. Though it may be hard to concentrate on running when you see how far my abilities with a sword have gone." He cracked another smirk and gave a hearty chuckle.
Celeste 17 years ago
Celeste was mentally exhausted from three days sleep filled with nothing but nightmares. Physical exhaustion was almost an impossibility for her so she decided to take advantage of that and try to pound some of her mental frustrations out on a punching bag, or maybe try to outrun them on the treadmill. Anything to regain her focus. So she'd thrown on a sports tank, spandex shorts and some gym shoes. The black fabrics contrasted with her white skin and black tattoos. The silver of her piercings glinted softly in the light. Cel didn't bo ther to remove them, there was no one here to be concerned with judging her.

Despite hearing voices already inside she walked inside. Strapping on some lightly padded black practice gloves she arched her pierced brow and gave a light grunt of greeting to these clanmates she had never met. The female she recognized from her research into Amberelle, one of the males from some servant's tales of her cousin's activities and a third was unknown, a large man.

Clipping her shiny black Nano to the front of her top she put one bud in and turned on a ear splitting song. Three Days Grace began to scream and she sighed happily, moving towards one of the empty treadmills.
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Dawn didn't really have any loose ends she needed to tie up. Maybe she would in a few centuries, but the way they were talking about it she hoped that she didn't. They both also called into focus the fact that it could be a very lonely existence if one was unlucky or introverted.

Gesturing Cyrus toward the treadmills, she said

"Help yerself, man! I prefer runnin' around th'compound when I'm stayin' close, but these'll git it done too."

Grinning at the big man's loss in the swordsman department, she shook her head sadly...creating a strange mix of messages.

"Been meanin' t'ask 'bout that - what's yer plan t'git that rust gone quick?"

Flipping her bubblegum ponytail back off of her shoulder, she smiled at the new arrival with all the metal shit in her face. It was an interesting look that chica seemed to pull off, and it was nice to see someone a bit more modern running about with all the mummies. Change of pace.
Apollyon 17 years ago
Darius thought about her question. There had to be a way for his mind to get out of the way. Violence had been his craft for longer than even some of the greatest empires that had ever existed. It was all inborn, what was the fucking word he was searching for.... Instinct. that was it.his eyes lightened at the epiphany.Looking down at his rescuer, he answered somewhat cryptically.

"There's only one way to do this quickly."He paused, taking a moment of contemplation,"But this is going to be dangerous, both for you and me."
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Raising an eyebrow, she grinned savagely.

"This sounds promisin. I'm all ears, champ."
Apollyon 17 years ago
Thinking she might be up for the challenge, he allowed the idea to flourish.

"Simple. You're going to attack me with everything. And I'm going to try and defend myself. If I screw up, then i get lit up. I'm going to relearn my inborn skill out of instinct.But" He stopped to indicate emphasis

"You cannot relent.If you do I will exploit it. No quarter for injury.The only way it stops is if one of us falls unconscious or says the Safe Word" pausing, he then identified the safe word in his native tongue "Pax" giving her a minute to think it over he met her with a mischievous smile and asked,

"You up for this?"
Cyrus 17 years ago
"Thank you." He replied to Darius' congratulations.

When both of them acknowledged their disinterest in the treadmill he bowed his head slightly in respect and climbed aboard one. In the process of draping his towel over the rail another person entered. Due to the time of night he could only imagine she was clan, because rarely did anyone let a familiar roam the halls alone after sunset. Taking in her piercings and color coordination he smiled lopsidedly and offered her a respectful nod. The tattoos placed her in the current century but approved of the younger members integrating with the older ones of the clan, like Dawn was.

Starting out at a slow lope, the machine making a quiet whispering sound, Cyrus listened to his clan mates plan out their sparing practice. While he doubted Darius was rusty enough to let any of Dawn's attacks through he also admitted to himself that he was unsure of her fighting skills. Perhaps the flamboyantly haired girl had some skill up her sleeve. Should she prove incapable of giving the large vampire a good work out, he could assist. Of course, his sword skills were probably just as rusty.

As he watched the machine picked up pace until he was running. The feeling of his muscles working and stretching with the action was perfect. At the belt's top speed he exhibited why he chose not to run around the compound and shifted. Four paws hit the belt and continued to run, long tail out for balance and the tip grazed the wall slightly. Watching the digital numbers he kept up the pace for one mile before shifting back to two feet.

The change in mass dragged him backwards momentarily and he would have been flung off if he had not used a bit of gliding to right himself. Growling low, Cyrus expressed is dissatisfaction with his performance. He vowed to keep on the machine until he got the transition perfect.
Celeste 17 years ago
Cel had taken a far treadmill, leaving space in between her and the other occupied machine. While music blared into one ear she left the other one, the one facing the room's occupants, open so she could keep track of the conversations around her and hear if anyone she didn't really want to see just yet came him. Her eyes had brightened as she listened to the sparring the large one suggested. It was right up her alley and she toyed with offering her own services but figured she'd allow those two to play and she'd enjoy the show. If either of them seemed unmatched she could speak up then. Maybe the big one would like to make it a menage a trois, she thought with a chuckle.

The machine was slowly winding up to a hard run and she began pacing her breathing and going through some boxing style jabs and punchs as she ran. It felt good to just focus on nothing of consequence but the act of one foot in front of the other, one fist then the other. The rest of her was watching the room, curious to see what happened next. The sudden shift of the man beside her into something very large furry and.. OK, feline it seemed, almost made her steps falter but she was discilplined enough not to. Cel just grunted a soft huh and kept running. Thirty seconds to Mars' "From Yesterday" began and she smiled.
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Dawn's eyes glinted, and she licked her fangs. That was the best way to learn, and as he improved, she would as well. Her first real workout since arrival in Nachton. She knew the old man was off his game, rusty, a bit unsteady at present, weaker and slower than she was at present, but also that he was possessed of constitution far exceeding that of even most of their own kind. She could take that kind of punishment as well, but her true gift was in her speed and mobility. In coming nights, that would certainly change. His 1400 years of additional experience would kick in and old age and discipline would begin to quickly take ground back from youthful exuberance. Tonight would probably suck ass for him, though.

"K!"

With no more preamble than that, she launched her fastest straight snapping punch up at his throat with blinding speed. Her rope-wrapped fist would not have been noticeable to the majority of humans and a good deal of her own kind - the shot was practically unblockable. It didn't pack much sting on their immortal scale, but it would have been enough to easily crush the windpipe of a human. Feeling the connection of her small, tightly bound fist meet the big guy's throat was highly satisfying - a fraction of a second later her followup body shot thudded into his solar plexus - the sound was like that of a sledgehammer hitting a frozen side of beef. Most would not have seen the blinding speed of the transition between moves, but she knew that at least two of the others in the room could have followed the lightning strikes - she was unsure on the new arrival. In his weakened state, he was probably a bit more winded than he would normally have been - so she took an opportunity to show off her agility once more and planted a foot on one of his massive legs, back-flipped off of it away and out of range.

Hitting him had been like hitting a mountain. Her job was to pound that rock until the crap was chipped away and the useful remnants compressed down into diamond...and she had permission. Was it her birthday? This was like the coolest thing ever. Grinning like a kid with a new puppy and free reign of a candy shop, she leaped back at him with a flying elbow. She didn't expect it to land - it was a bit slower a move than she would normally have selected at this point, but it would let her know just HOW rusty and just HOW fast he was. Even a partial connector would be unlikely - there was rusty and there was feeble. Of course, it might land and be a quick show stopper - he had been unsteady earlier, and this particular move had been devastating even in life - now it was akin to being hit by a wrecking ball.

But he could TAKE it.