Picnic for Two (private, attn: Reign)

Will stood to the side of what could only be called a vignette. It was a bit like a scene from a story book. A fire blazed around a small tepee of wood, behind that, facing the water, lay a large blanket backed by two large beach umbrella's laid on their sides to serve as a screen and an insulator against the chill in the air. Anchored between the umbrellas and blanket sat a small sturdy table that cleared the ground by a mere three inches. Will had made the table himself, as he'd been unable to find something suitable. Something called a cooler sat next to a large wicker picnic basket, chilling the wine and keeping parts of the dinner chilled.

Will was nervous, as he stood with bare feet in the sand waiting. He had spent the time since his last outing with Reign learning. He had learned how to use the internet and had sent Reign emails and had gotten some in return from her. That was how this particular date had come to pass, and Will was thankful for that, but the little box that spewed things at him from nowhere still made him incredibly uneasy and he had not used it since setting this date with Reign.

He had learned all about telephones and the technology that allowed you to carry one in your pocket. This was not as frightening as the computer, and so he was much more comfortable on it. With MARI's help, another new thing for him, he had rented a limo, ordered the pieces for this little scene, and had food made and delivered. He had even put himself in the limo, or the stretch death box as he liked to call it, and rode to the beach with the gear in the trunk.

He had sent the driver to pick up Reign while he set everything up, and now he stood waiting for that long black car to return.

Reign 17 years ago
Reign had been all set for a casual date, a quick drive down to the beach, a nice warm fire a cold breeze, just something fun and easy. So, she was pretty much floored when the limo arrived. But why the hell not? It might be fun to take something so relaxed and dress it up a bit, she never would have thought to do that and was quite flattered Will would. It was something Bas might have done.

Oh bloody hell… Bas. Reign really didn’t want to think about this. She’d never in her life been involved with two guys at once and wasn’t quite sure how to handle it or where she wanted to go. It was frustrating, bewildering and downright irritating. For now she decided not to think about it and just enjoy her evening.

Arriving and stepping out of the limo she was truly impressed. Who would have thought a winter picnic on the beach could be so… charming? It looked perfect. Seeing Will she smiled broadly and lightly kissed his cheek.

“You do know how to make an impression don’t you?”
William 17 years ago
Will face broke into a broad smile as she crossed the small stretch of beach to him. He leaned down slightly to meet Reign's kiss, then returned it with a gentle one of his on to her cheek. As if by second nature, his hands went to her's and entwined their fingers together. He pulled back and looked down into the smokey blue of her eyes. "I try."

He broke the eye contact and took a small step back, letting his eyes roam her body, before returning to her eyes. "You looked lovely, as always. I can't imagine you any other way."

Another grin, and he released one of her hands. He was no longer feeling nervous about all the new things he'd learned, and was just happy, probably much too happy, to see this enchanting woman again. He turned in the sand and lead her over to the blanket. It was warm in the little alcove made by the umbrellas, and he gestured for her to find a place to sit.

"How have you been since last I saw you?"
Reign 17 years ago
God he had a great smile and she was struck by the sudden urge to run her fingers through his hair. And he was a sweetheart too.

"Flattery, an age old but very sound technique. Thank you though."Â?

Her own smile was teasing. Reign very rarely accepted compliments about her appearance without protest. Will was so damned sincere that she had a harder time brushing him off or disregarding the compliment though and actually managed to be gracious about it.

The umbrellas cut the wind and reflected the heat from the fire and made a wonderfully snug and romantic setting. She was only too happy to settle down on to the blanket and make herself at home.

"Smashing. I had a chat with my agent and accepted two tournament dates and now my coach wants me to start practicing ten hours a day again. But I thought I'd ditch him tonight in favor of your company."Â?

She decided not to mention Bastian. It just wouldn't be right and probably put Will on edge straight off the bat and she'd much rather enjoy being with him and what he'd taken all this effort to set up.

"You've been causing trouble though, I have no doubt."Â?
William 17 years ago
Will crouched next to the cooler and pulled out a bottle of wine, glasses and a corkscrew. He put the screw in the cork and smiled up at Reign. "Then I am honored."

He chuckled and pulled the cork out with a gentle pop. "Of course, because I have made it my mission in life to bring havoc with me where ever I go."

He filled two glasses with the crisp white liquid, and handed one to Reign, before settling down next to her. "My shop assistant would disagree, he feels I don't cause enough trouble. Though I don't know when I'd find time anyway. Between, planning amazing beach picnics, making tables and sleeping, I don't have much trouble making time."
Reign 17 years ago
Accepting the wine and sipping lightly at it Reign stifled a giggle.

"You gave up eating for me? I don't know what to say, such a sacrifice."Â?

It was the one basic he'd left off his list and she had to tease him by pointing it out In her experience most guys would rather do without sleep than food. An odd glitch in the Y chromosome she figured, as in a pinch Reign would rather do with out food than sleep.

"You just need some practice. Causing trouble doesn't need to take long and can often be scheduled in between other necessities. You probably don't even need to leave your shop to do it."Â?
William 17 years ago
'Well damn. I forgot that one.' The deer in the headlights wasn't a good look for him so he smoothed his expression before speaking. He'd forgotten that most basic thing, since he didn't do it all that often anyway. "I tend to forget to eat most of the time anyway. Lucky for me I have two good assistants and a couple of friends that keep me from starving to death."

He chuckled and took a sip of the crisp liquid. It was a good vintage and would go well with the fish dinner he'd had made.

"I don't know that I even want to cause trouble. A quiet life is so much more...enjoyable."

He set his cup down and let his mind grasp the words she's given to his question before. Tournament dates...which meant she'd be leaving town, and with practicing her time would be limited. He found he would miss her and that shocked him slightly. She was just a human woman after all. No, she was more than that, and he would need to take the time to examine how he felt about that.

"So what do tournament dates entail?"
Reign 17 years ago
"Good thing too. I don't fancy the 'skin and bone night of the living dead' look would be good for you. Hell it's not appealing on most people."Â?

Reign grinned at him teasing. It seemed she'd found a true oddity in the world, the one male who just didn't eat. She'd thought that was impossible. But then again maybe that had to do with growing up with a pack of guys and having both Italian and Midwestern roots, some one was always fussing at some body else to eat something and there was always something good to munch on if the urge struck.

"But you can be so much more appreciative of the quiet if you've raised a little hell. I like a nice calm ordinary day but if that's all I had I'd get bored and I've always gotten into trouble when I'm bored."Â?

She countered. It wasn't like she was a party animal or had to cause a ruckus every day. But variety was the spice of life wasn't it?

Taking a second to savor the wine she thought about the bustle and noise and organized chaos that went with tournaments.

"Generally they are about a week. The first day is all publicity, checking in and getting a look at the tournament table, the practice tables and all that jazz. Then the next day is the Pro/Am. Sometimes that's fun. Folks pay to be paired up with one of us and we play a single elimination tournament. It all depends on who you get hooked up with, I've gotten stuck with some real 'sticks in the mud', some who are too nervous to even talk to me and once with a sixteen year old kid who decided to hit on me in the middle of the third rack of the finals. It was kind of cute actually, his dad set him up with the Pro/Am as a birthday present and I guess he had a crush on me. He spent the few games blushing every time I looked at him but he finally settled in, he wasn't a bad player either."Â?

Pausing she again sipped at the wine. God she was going to have to get her game face back on, and in a big way. That was the part of all this Reign was most worried about, the psychological.

"Then the tournament itself starts and that's three days worth of elimination rounds through the quarter finals and the fourth day is the semi finals and finals. It doesn't sound like much but when you're playing a race to seven and you start out with thirty two players it can take a while, some days don't wrap up until 3 or 4 in the morning. But we don't get going until noon so I suppose it evens out."Â?
William 17 years ago
A week. He'd just gone that long between dates with her, and he knew they were not courting seriously yet, so he could handle a week. He wondered if she would want to talk with him on the email. He could handle looking at the computer once or twice a day to talk in the emails. Wow, what a strange world it is when a man will face his centuries old fears for a woman. Or perhaps it was simply about time.

"It sounds stressful, and fun all at once. When are these tournaments and do they put them on the television?"

He began to pull dinner from the basket and cooler as they talked. "I would offer to come, but I'm not a big fan of planes, or of noon for that matter."

He grinned as he put plates on the little table.
Reign 17 years ago
"Oddly enough I stress after the fact. I wind up riding an adrenalin high while I'm in the thick of it."Â?

She tried not to watch as he set things out. But not being much of a 'Martha Stewart' type Reign was always a bit curious about things domestic. She'd scoff at them, and mock them if given the chance but was also sort of fascinated.

"The first one is in about 3 weeks and the next about a month later. One in Virginia and one in Chicago. I'll probably spend some extra time in Chicago, I've put some things off there that I really shouldn't have."Â?

Her guess was that her father would show up at the tournament invited or not, but she planed to call or send an email or something and let them know for sure she'd be there. She also planed to ask them not come to the tournament but let her come by after it was over. Reign didn't want to break focus on the game but she needed to see her family. It was important.

Realizing she'd spaced out for a second she grinned apologetically.

"Yup usually they televise them, well the semis and the finals but they don't get on the air until about a month after the tournament is over. I've never figured out why."Â?

She laughed at his quip about noon.

"After you've played until four in the morning noon comes way too soon so I'm not always huge fan of it myself."Â?
William 17 years ago
Will smiled as he pried the lid off the container holding warm, sliced grilled chicken. "That's a disappointment. I would like to see you in action sometime."

With all the containers open, he began to put everything on the plates, just like the caterer told him. When he was finished there would be two plates of grilled chicken over pene that had been baked with tomato sauce and more cheeses than he knew the names for, balsamic glazed grilled vegetables, and garlic bread. Along with two small plates of salad and raw veggies with some kind of dip set between them to share, and more wine.

"Do you enjoy art, gardens, any of that sort of thing?" He opened a napkin and slid it across Reign's lap, before making himself comfortable and putting one on his own lap. He picked up his fork and smiled. "I was told to ask about movies as well, but I don't watch them so I would not be able to converse with you about them. Books we've done so I figure art and the like were the next best subjects to tackle."

He was rambling so he stilled his wagging tongue with wine.
Reign 17 years ago
"If you really want to sometimes I play at a hall here in town, C'est La Vie. I think Jane said something about maybe doing a demo before I hit the circuit again, if you're interested I could let you know if that happens."Â?

Reign was aware she was being a little cautious. She still hadn't quite made up her mind what she was going with Will and Bastian but no matter how she decided she wanted to enjoy the evening.

Picking up a carrot she dipped it and munched it while grinning.

"No. No gardens my thumb isn't just brown it's black I kill things by looking at them. It's so bad I've been asked to leave by some botanical gardens and nature preserves."Â?

She was exaggerating of course but it was fun and not -too- far off the truth, she did have trouble keeping most things alive (aside from Sirius).

"Art is another story though. I grew up in Chicago and must have taken dozens of trips to the Art Institute as field trips. It made an impression too. I've always loved it. The classical and medieval pieces tend to be my favorites and DaVinci goes with out saying but I've got a soft spot for Van Gogh and Chagall as well."Â?

Reign blushed very faintly at the idea that he'd asked for advice. That meant he'd been talking about her, even indirectly. She hadn't thought she'd made that much of an impression. After a second she laughed lightly.

"You were told to ask? I know I've never been much good at the first few conversations but I'm not sure I've ever asked for a road map. So you may be the first guy I've known who's asked for directions. Bravo."Â?

She saluted him with her carrot before finishing it off.

"But I do like movies, more rentals or on TV though. Sometimes those and a book are your only friends on the road. That and there is nothing like a true B movie at 3am when you can't sleep. It's a very good thing."Â?
William 17 years ago
Will picked up a long stick of jicima and dipped it into the sauce. He put the entire thing in his mouth and chewed while Reign spoke.

"Hmm, so no moonlit strolls through the Vespers then, got it." He chuckled and picked up his fork. The meal smelled wonderful and he planned to eat as much or more than Reign did, so as not to throw her off with his usual bird-like tendencies with human food. He speared chicken and pasta and put them in his mouth.

"There is a really great museum here and some incredible galleries with local talent in them. My favorite features one artist who does everything from impressionist sculptures to these amazing sunsets and another who does these haunting landscapes that are filled with wolves either hidden or in plain site. I'd like to take you there some time."

Veggies went on to his fork next, because he was unsure how to respond, he put them in his mouth and chewed slowly. Why would someone not ask for directions when they needed help? Then he remembered some of the things in books he'd read that implied that men never asked for directions and were always getting lost due to stubborn pride. Well, that explained her laughter. "I think I should thank you, but I'm not sure why?"

He grinned and filled his mouth again. She'd said something else he didn't understand and he had to find a way around it. Ignoring it was always a good strategy. "Have you been to the museum yet?"
Reign 17 years ago
Reign giggled at his quip about the gardens.

"A romantic moonlight stroll though the silk flower aisle of a craft store would probably be safer in my case."Â?

The invitation to see some of the local galleries sounded wonderful, very tempting indeed, but when he mentioned the local museum she felt slightly guilty. This was what a third date, second, she wasn't sure but still...

She took a bite of pasta to cover the slight awkwardness as she debated exactly how honest to be here. On the one hand if she didn't say anything at all about Bastian she wouldn't spoil the mood right now. On the other, though, if she didn't say anything she'd wind up blind siding Will and he was far too nice to do that too. She finally decided that it was better to be awkward now than to shove it out in the open later.

"I have. It was really quite impressive. Bastian took me to go and see one of the visiting exhibits but we didn't see much else."Â?

There, it was said... sort of. Ok so she was a coward. What were you going to do about it? But if Will wanted any follow up on Bastian she could give it to him. If he didn't she wasn't going to push the issue just yet.
William 17 years ago
Will sipped his wine and took a bite of pasta as he watched Reign battle with something in her head. Ah, that explains that.

"Isn't he that incredibly unpleasant fellow we ran into at the coffee shop?"

Will wasn't sure how he felt about her seeing the both of them. Of course this was really only the third time they'd been together. He had no claim on her, they'd made no plans and had not even consummated their relationship. He could not expect her to date only him, not if they had not even discussed it. He was not so backward as to believe that women only courted with one man at a time in this day and age.

"Should I worry that he is my...competition? Damn, that came out wrong." He sighed and ran a hand through hair he'd left free of it's leather thong. "Forgive me that. I've no right to be jealous of your time or your person. Our relationship will go where it will on its own merit or it will not. It has nothing to do with this Bastian of yours or where he takes you."

He offered Reign a small smile and took her free hand in his own. "I am not happy to learn that you are letting an old love back into your life, for I would truly like to see where this goes between us with out such outside worries. However, I will do my best to not let it interfere with our time together."

It was the best he could do, and to show her he meant it, he leaned over the table and pressed his lips gently to her's.
Reign 17 years ago
She nodded, slowly, reluctantly, and slightly apologetically. That was Bas all right and she couldn't blame Will for his perception, that hadn't been Bastian's most shining moment.

"I'll admit he didn't put his best foot forward there, but in his defense I wasn't helping maters. I was still pretty angry at him."Â?

She wasn't any longer. Was she ready to fall back into his arms, ready to love him again? That she wasn't quite sure of. She was close, she wanted to move forward with him, she knew that.

Reign managed a small soft laugh at the competition quip.

"You know he asked the same thing about you. I feel awful being in the middle, I never meant to put either of you out at all."Â?

Maybe she should become a nun. Yes, that might be a good thing it would solve this whole dilemma.

As he kissed her he was so sweet and so understanding she wanted to cry, except Reign didn't cry. This was just all wrong, all the way around. She should leave town again start over hell maybe she should reconcile with Vince.

Finally shoving those thoughts aside she gave her concentration to the kiss.

"Good, I'd hate to detract from this evening."Â?
William 17 years ago
Will gave Reign a warm smile as he settled back to the blanket. She was a stuck in the middle of something that obviously made her uncomfortable, and he only hoped that he was on the winning side of this little struggle. Though something told him it would be a long hard fight. He was ok with that, he had all the time in the world.

"How is your dinner?"

He needed to change the subject not just for himself, but for her sake. He went back to his meal, but found he had no appitite and so put the fork back down and instead gave his attention to Reign.

((Sorry it took so long. Its been busy around her and my time seems to be at a premium right now. I've decided I need an extra three hours in the day. ))
Reign 17 years ago
Reign blinked at Will and then looked at her dinner almost blankly, she’d completely forgotten it. The absurdity of it all made her laugh, and not a soft lady like laugh either. This was just too much for her. She’d never been much more than one of the guys, never had more than one guy interested in her at a time and now she officially had a triangle going and it was the strangest damned thing in the world.

Settling down she gave Will a quick peck on the cheek by way of apology and started in on her dinner again.

“It really is quite good. Did you make it yourself?”

((OOC... no worries ))
William 17 years ago
Will accepted the kiss with a small smile and a gentle squeeze on Reign's shoulder. He had no idea what she found funny, but that didn't bother him in the least.

He laughed outright at the thought of himself in a kitchen cooking.
"Goodness no. I had a very nice lady at a very nice restaurant make it for us. For me to try and cook, is a bit like a dog trying to fly."

Will brushed hair from his face and took a sip of wine. "I could perhaps grill a sausage on a stick over a fire, but I think it safest for me to stick to making tables and chairs."
Reign 17 years ago
Reign smiled, her eyes, behind her glasses, crinkling as she did so.

“So you do have flaws and aren’t utterly perfect. That’s something of a relief I was starting to worry.”

Of course, she was teasing and hadn’t had any delusions that he, or anyone else, was perfect. Certainly he was… well there was something special about him. He seemed so different from the other men she’d been involved with, both Italian, both aggressive, protective and intense. No, no more thinking about that. She was here with Will now.

“Not that I have much room to talk. Although I can give you some excellent tips should you ever want to make rammen or mac and cheese and my odds of grilling something well are just a bit better than fifty fifty, so at least I don’t starve to death. I order a mean room service though.”
William 17 years ago
Will found the little eye crinkle she did endearing and it took quite a bit of will power to not reach up and touch her nose to see if she would do it again. "Perfection is a sign of insanity. I would hate for anyone to think me insane."

He grinned and finished his wine. He could have gone for another glass as it was a very good wine, but he preferred to wait and have more with dessert. Lucky for him, he knew what room service was and so could laugh genuinely at her joke.

"I shall have to reserve judgment on that, until I've experienced it for myself."

His grin went from one of mirth to one of mischief. He meant what he said, he would very much like to have Reign order room service for them, after he'd spent the night making her as hungry as possible. The idea started to grow in his head, if he rented a room for them then he would have an excuse to keep her occupied until dusk came again and not have to make things up, and he would have as much time as he wished to carry out the fantasies that waltzed through his dreams during the day.

He began to clean up their dinner and when the dishes were tucked into the picnic basket, he pulled a container, a small gold tray, two wine flutes and a bottle of champagne from the cooler. Opening the container he set an assortment of chocolates on the tray and offered Reign a smile as he opened the champagne.

"The nice woman told me that these are hand made with Belgian chocolates, and other lovely things. I'm afraid I didn't pay as much attention as I should have when she told me which kind had what in it."

The cork came off with a satisfying pop! and Will poured the frothy bubbling wine into the chilled glasses.