Things Left Unsaid. (private)

Wren had a problem. Well she had a big cut in her mouth where her teeth had tried to bite through her cheek, that was a direct result of her problem. She sat on the couch going through reports from Drev's various holdings, while her tongue, her surprisingly uninjured tongue probed the jagged edges of the near hole. It was Sunday her one day off and she was using the rest of the daylight to get some of the work Drev paid her to do done. She had been out shopping, jogging, and to the bank already that morning. The fridge was restocked and the things she needed for The Studio were tucked into the trunk of her car. She had also bought some new tights and a leotard that had been on sale and caught her eye. She didn't need another leotard, but she could afford to buy them whenever she wanted to now, and so she did.

She shook her head and got back to the reports in front of her, her tongue still probing her cheek. "The new year looks promising even though we lost a great deal of the citrus crop that helps perpetuate part of the properties self sufficiency..." It disturbed her that her tongue was healed. It did each of the five other times this had happened. She really needed to ask Drev about it, but she didn't know how. It was like anything else about him, she just figured it was part of his image. It's not like they were real, she knew about the cosmetic dentistry that existed for that sort of thing, she just didn't understand the reasoning behind it. Just like she didn't understand why he had so many piercings or his hair in dreads.

Sighing she found her place in the report once more. "...however tourism has picked up as more and more locals are looking to close to home venues to visit due to the rising gas prices. We have added a potter to the grounds to demonstrate some of the crafts that the property used to produce..." 'Further more, why would it heal?' Of course she knew the cut in her cheek was because she'd lain awake half the night worrying over the hole in her tongue and had gone to sleep with her cheek still between her teeth. She sucked on that little puffy part of her cheek when she worried, and she figured her worry carried over into sleep and so she'd put a frickin' hole in her cheek with her own damn teeth. Why the hell was she getting upset about it?

Another hearty sigh had her turning the overview page over and she began to review the financial statements. They wouldn't make all that much sense to her, until she compared them to the year before to make sure the numbers were kosher. They had an accountant that handled most of this stuff she just looked them over to keep every one on the up and up. 'Why in the world would he want to have fangs implanted? What good did they do? Did he want people to think that he was a vampire or something equally stupid? Well it kind of feeds into the can't be in the sunlight thing, but I think more people would be inclined to believe he has the eye thing he had and not that he's an actual vampire, since they were not real. Might as well tell people you're a werewolf or a fairy.'

She giggled and turned from the finances to the procurement page of the report. The tractor needed to be replaced, as did some of the fencing and gates. She would need to fly out and check out the property again. That made her sigh. She'd book a flight for the next Saturday night and be back by Sunday afternoon. She hated flying to California the air was always so hard to breath at LAX and the cab rides took forever and she never seemed to be able to remember that it was three hours earlier there than it was back east.

Her pencil went into her mouth and she hissed when her teeth grazed the cut on her inner cheek. Sighing she put the report aside, and pulled her lap top up onto her legs. She pulled up flight information and booked a seat on a ten o'clock flight out and a two o'clock flight back in. She sent the confirmation email to the printer and then sent an email to the manager of the property. As she was putting the lap top back to the table she heard noise behind her. She looked up at the clock, it was later than she'd expected and she hadn't gotten much done. She swore softly and began to put her things away so that she could spend the evening with Drev.

She would have to ask him, she really would, and since she did it might as well be tonight. That made her mouth go dry and her palms to sweat. She rubbed them down the legs of her black low rise slacks, then adjusted the hem of her white cotton oxford shirt. She liked the shirt, since it looked like something a girl should wear to private school, but it only had three buttons, and the bottom flared open over her hips, and the top exposed the lace of a pretty pink camisole she wore beneath. Her hair was down and she pushed it behind her shoulders. She was as ready as she could be.

Milazo 17 years ago
Wearing his Uniform, Drev padded silently down the hall and into the kitchen for a glass of water. He'd been in his bedroom working on his laptop, giving Wren the time and peace she'd needed for whatever she was doing. But she hadn't been working when he emerged.

"Are you all done?" he asked, sipping from the glass as she went into the living room. Not wanting to disturb her work space, he turned one of the overstuffed chairs toward Wren and sat down. She looked gorgeous, and he hoped her answer would be Yes; he was starting to get naughty thoughts floating around in his mind.
Wren 17 years ago
Wren gave Drev a half smile, since it was all she could manage with her injured cheek. Classes were going to be hell tomorrow. 'All I can say is, thank God for Oragel.' "Yeah, for now. I can't seem to concentrate anyway. I have to go out to the California property. They lost a lot of citrus, but the grapes are fine. The manager thinks the wine this year will be the best yet, but they need some repairs and replacements, and I need to double check it. I;ll be gone less than twenty hours, but damn if I want to go at all."

She chuckled softly, she knew he knew her distaste for California, but she also knew he wouldn't stop her from doing her job. She's had no idea what she'd signed on for when she agreed to be his...whatever she was. Her tongue probed her cheek again and she sighed. She moved her things from the couch to the table and patted the place next to her. "Come over here. I want to ask you a question."
Milazo 17 years ago
Drev listened and nodded attentively while she conveyed the business news to him.

When Wren sighed, her eyes changed almost imperceptibly and it caused Drev's survival instincts to kick in. His muscles when rigid, preparing to fight or flight. Something was on her mind, something big, and it made her uncomfortable. That and the tone of her voice as she invited him to sit next to her - it had to be important if she wanted him to move - made him wary. He didn't know what might be on her mind, but he had an idea. A very bad idea that turned his blood cold. Drev subconsciously traced the point of one of his fangs with the tip of his tongue as he stood up and walked the few steps to the couch. He moved gracefully - he always did - and sat down casually.

'She's guessed,' he thought to himself. 'She's put it all together - the aversion to light, the pointy canines, the 'alone time' every couple weeks... - and she's guessed.

'Fuck.'

"What's up?" Hopefully his smile looked more genuine than it felt.
Wren 17 years ago
She sucked her teeth with her tongue, drew in a breath and let it out on a sigh. This was stupid. She really should be able to ask a simple question. But it seemed like such an invasion of privacy. They had always given each other the space they needed, never questioning it, never digging deeper than the other cared to go. It was a good relationship and in her opinion need not change, but her mouth hurt and her pride just a little to have to ask him for something she knew he didn't want to give.

"Something happened while we made love last night. It's only happened a few times before, but I'm not sure I want it to happen again.

So, I want to ask why you have fangs. I understand that such things can be permanently implanted, by why, and can you have them removed, or filed down or something?"

'Oh God. I sound like a little kid asking why the sky is blue.' "I mean you don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I understand, I do really, just like I don't tell you somethings and you don't ask." 'Shut up!' "I'm just curious is all. I can be more careful." 'Shoot me now...' "You know what. Forget I asked."

She pressed the heels of her palms into her eyes and tried to push the blush rising up her neck down. This was sooooo stupid. She was sorry now that she'd said and thing and even more sorry for sounding like a fool while saying it. Not only that, she really wasn't sure she wanted to know what sort of weird thing made him want them.
Milazo 17 years ago
Drev's stomach sank the rest of the way to the floor. He was suddenly very uncomfortable, so he reached out with his Telekinesis and pushed hard against the wall in the hopes that it would help alleviate some of his mental stress without giving any detectable effects.

It was slightly relieving that Wren had given him a backdoor. She would let him drop it, but he knew that it would only be temporary. She would just stew over it in the middle of the night, or when she was alone; it wouldn't go away.

But stronger in his mind, weighing on his conscience, were the codes of Bushido. At the start, he'd justified not telling her with the code of Loyalty and Respect. In the early days of their relationship, he'd been afraid of piling it onto the shit she was already experiencing. Besides, had he known the relationship would turn into what it was? If he had, he might not have let it develop at all, because now the other Bushido virtues were asserting themselves rather strongly.

Rectitude, Honesty, and Honor burned fiercely in his mind and heart, and even Loyalty and Respect were turning on him. In fact, all seven Bushido virtues were now demanding he be honest with Wren. As he sat mentally twiddling his thumbs, it became more and more difficult to rationalize his deception at all. He should have been totally honest with her in the first place. He should have just put it out on the table and let her take it or leave it. But now he'd let her get inside his outer defenses, he'd fallen in love with her. Worse than that, though, is that he lied to her. He gained her trust on false pretenses.

A planet-sized ball of shame came crashing down on Drev in that instant, and he was more than a little surprised to find himself near tears.

"I don't know why I didn't tell you this before. I guess I was afraid of hurting you. But in protecting you then, I may have only made it worse."

He looked up at Wren, his eyes glistening with unshed tears.

"It's going to sound ridiculous, but you have to believe me. I give you my word as samurai that every word I will say is the truth."

Drev took a deep breath.

"First of all, I love you more than anything in this world. I didn't think I was capable of love any more, not after the life I've had, but you changed that. I want to protect you, keep you safe because I don't want to lose you. It's because of that that I haven't been totally honest with you regarding my past. I've kept you in the dark because I thought that was the safest place for you to be, and maybe it is. But I can't keep dancing between shadows anymore. If this relationship keeps going, then it will affect you more and more with every passing day." He held her eyes, those crystal blue eyes that matched his own, those beautiful eyes that mirrored the love in his heart. He took another deep breath. In all his seven hundred years of life, this was possibly the most difficult thing he's ever had to do.

"The reason I have pointed canines...." Another deep breath. "I'm a vampire."
Wren 17 years ago
Something in his voice made her look up at him, despite the fear his words had churning in her belly. He was going to tell her something so life changing that he had to explain himself first. She was shocked to find his eyes shiny with unshed tears.

With a swallow, she nodded her head and he began with I love you. No one ever began happy things with I love you more than anything, no one. Not even marriage proposals started out like that. The fear and anxiety grew in her belly and his pause seemed to hold her life with in its depths.

But the words out of his mouth were..ludicrous. She wanted to laugh, but he looked so serious. He really believed this. What in the world had she gotten herself into? Under all that mysterious facade was a crazy deluded man. Ok, she could handle this.

"You're serious? Drev, baby," she'd never actually used a pet name for him before, but it seemed important, "vampires aren't real. They're stories, horror movies, people don't die and rise again the next night thirsting for blood, and killing humans just to keep their lives or sanity in tact. It's just not real."

She reached out and took his hand, giving it a gentle pat with her free hand. "It's ok though. We can get you help. I promise."
Milazo 17 years ago
Drev looked at her dumbfoundedly. He didn't consider that she might not even believe him at all. He had to make her believe him. Anything less would still be a lie.

"No, Wren. Vampires are real. I'm real. I was born in Palermo, Sicily in 1238 A.D." He squeezed her hand a little more tightly. "Wren, I'm more than seven hundred sixty years old." He realized too late that he was still sounding like a crazy lunatic. Nothing he said would seem concrete enough. He needed to show her something physical.

"I have some supernatural abilities, too. I can blend into the background so I'm virtually invisible. My agility would make any cat green with envy." Still sounding like a lunatic..... "And there's the telekinesis."
Wren 17 years ago
He was actually starting to hurt her hand, but she didn't want to upset him by pulling away, so she just swallowed against it and pushed it to the back of her mind. She was still good at that.

"Of course, you're real Drev. I'm holding your hand, so that's not in question."

He was scaring her and she wasn't sure he would take her disbelieving him. She let what he'd said mull over in her mind, but it just didn't add up. Sure the not being able to go in the sun, going off by himself, and of course the teeth. He'd never scared her, or bitten her, or done anything remotely vampire like in the whole time she'd known him. This was all just to surreal for her. How was it she always managed to end up with jerks or lunatics? Was there something wrong with her?

'No calm down.' Drev loved her, and she knew that was real, she'd seen and felt it. Then again, if he was hiding this, what else was a lie? Ok ok, she was getting ahead of herself here. She really needed to just stick to the whole her boyfriend thinks he's a vampire thing. But that tied into her other thoughts, really was the center of them. Oh boy, this sort of circular thinking was getting her no where.

"Ok, let's look at this logically Drev. Ok? Let's say you are a...vampire. Let's say you were born in the thirteenth century and you've lived through nearly every major war and era this little world has known. Let's say you've seen things go from middle ages, to the renaissance, to war, to industrialization, to indoor plumbing to electronics. You saw a new country born, and others destroyed. Let's just say all of that is true and that I believe you. Okay?"

Now she just had to talk him out of that. "Now let's look at it from me believing you. I should be scared out of my mind. I live, eat, breath and make love to a monster. To the stuff of nightmares and horror fantasies. I'm thinking I ought to run for my life, but I don't think you would hurt me. Even if this were all true I don't think you'd hurt me. I don't think you'd ever eat me or whatever it is that you do to your...um victims. So if I believe you are really a vampire and that you'd never hurt me. Why would I believe your a vampire in the first place?"

She wasn't sure she was even making sense to herself. She pushed up from the couch and started to pace the space in front of the couch.

"Drev, this is crazy. You can't possibly be anything other than the man I fell in love with. You just can't. It's not normal for people to go around thinking they are blood sucking creatures of the night. It's just not. I'm sorry, Drev, but I just don't believe you." She stopped and looked at him. He looked the same to her. Shouldn't he be more pale or something? Wait, what? Was she starting to believe him? No! She started pacing again. "And even if I did believe you, what does that change? Are you going to start wanting more from me? You wouldn't try to make me one would you?" She spun and stared at him, then gave a strangled laugh. "I can't believe I said that. I don't even believe you."
Milazo 17 years ago
"I sincerely hope it wouldn't change anything," he said, still trying to hold her eyes. He wasn't liking the way she was talking. "It wouldn't change anything, at least for me, because I've been this way the whole time I've known you and I've never done anything to hurt you." Until now. "I would never hurt you, Wren, you should know that by now. This doesn't make me anything different than what I was a week ago. Or even ten minutes ago. I'm still the same person. I still love you, and I still would rather kill myself than let harm come to you."

Drev sat back on the couch. Wren still didn't believe him. She still thought he was a crazy lunatic living a fantasy.

"You want some proof that I'm not making this all up? Watch the coffee table." He kept his eyes on hers, but waited until she looked down at the table in front of the couch. When she did, he reached out with his Telekinesis and slowly lifted the table two inches off the floor.
Wren 17 years ago
She knew he meant what he said, she didn't doubt that at all. This whole thing was just...well stupid and all her fault for bringing it up in the first place. She'd changed their lives by asking one stupid question that could have been completely left unsaid. If she had left it alone like her mind was screaming at her to do, then she'd never be dealing with the fact that her lover, boyfriend and the man she wanted to grow old with was delusional.

With a sigh she looked down at the coffee table and watched as it lifted off the ground. Her widened eyes looked back up at Drev.
"That's neat , but now isn't really the time for magic tricks and games, Drev."
Milazo 17 years ago
With a frustrated sigh, Drev mentally hurled the coffee table, sending it crashing against the wall. He stood in the now empty space in front of the couch. He looked down at Wren, and when he was sure he had her attention, he crossed his arms over his chest.

"I want you to close your eyes, count to three, then open them again." She looked at him again, sympathy and weariness growing more prevalent in her icy blue eyes. When she closed her eyes, Drev took one step to the left and Blended. The one step was enough for his Blending ability to work, since he was in a different location than the last time she saw him, but he was hoping that Wren would realize that three seconds isn't enough time for him to leave the room or hide behind something; realize that he was still standing in front of her, even though she couldn't see him.

Just as she opened her eyes again, he began lifting things with his Telekinesis. Anything that wasn't too heavy or fasted down rose and began to float in the air. The living room was filled with couch cushions, CD and DVD cases, a box of Kleenex, and a dozen knick-knacks floating in mid-air. It was difficult for him to keep so many things levitating, but he managed to organize them and spin them all in a circle around Wren's head.
Wren 17 years ago
She winced as the table hit the wall. That was more than just a parlour trick, and her heart tripped into a faster pace. She wasn't sure what would come next and she was more sorry than before to have started all of this.

"Alright."

With a heavy sigh Wren closed her eyes and counted...'one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand...' Her eyelids lifted and he was gone. She looked all around her, even raising up on tip toes to look behind the couch. She gasped as things were suddenly floating around her head. It was something straight out of Alfred Hitchcock and she was scared...

"Drev, this isn't funny any more. Make it stop...please." A soft sob, shook her shoulders and filled the silent room. "Maybe...maybe what you said is true. Just...just stop this, come out where I can see you, and we'll talk about it again." The objects whirled and spun in the air, their dance making her more and more frightened and she dropped to her knees, hiding her eyes from what should have been amusing. Sobs shook her shoulders and she hoped that when she looked up again it would all be over.

Drev was supposed to be safe and normal. The love of her life and instead he had been lying to her, and was something out of fantasy and fiction. It was just one more horror added to her reality. The question was; could she survive this?
Milazo 17 years ago
Relieved, Drev let the objects drift gently to the floor. He let the Blending fade and sat next to Wren. It was a very deep pain, seeing Wren like this, but what made it worse was the knowledge that he had caused it. He wasn't sure if she wanted him to touch her, so he didn't let himself shelter her in his arms.

"This doesn't change how I feel about you, Wren. I still love you. I still cherish you. You're still the center of my world.

"I'm sorry I lied to you, but I never thought our relationship would get to where it is now. I justified the lie by telling myself that I was protecting you, but I couldn't do it any more."
Wren 17 years ago
Wren took a deep breaths, forcing the sobs back, one breath at a time. When finally she had control, she looked up. She saw the pain there, he had hurt himself. She wasn't happy about that. She also wasn't happy about the pain in her chest. She had no idea what to do with this. She knew how to handle brutality, hatred, obsession, and force, but this, this gentle need and raw pain was new and she hated it.

"I don't know what to say to you. You've broken something between us and I don't know what to say."

She moved her body until her head rested on his thigh. "We have to fix this."
Milazo 17 years ago
Despite feeling like a shitty asshole, the words "We have to fix this" gave him hope. She didn't go running - yet - and she was willing to work at making their relationship get over this speed bump.

"I know I fucked up, and I'm sorry. I hate myself for having done this to you. But it's also liberating; now there's nothing you don't or can't know about me. I want to be completely open and honest with you, Wren. I don't want to hide anything from you anymore."
Wren 17 years ago
Wren could only nod and let her silent tears soak the well worn denim beneath her cheek. She suddenly had a great many questions. She let the move and roll in her brain until they consolidated and began to make sense. They all seemed to hinge of one thing, and for that she was going to have to open herself to more and suspend her disbelief for the rest of her life.

"Drev?" Her voice was thick and horse from the tears. She cleared it and tried again. "Start from the beginning and tell me everything." It was still thick and wobbled a little, but the strength she carried with in herself was there and it comforted her to hear it.
Milazo 17 years ago
It took Drev a moment to gather his thoughts. He'd never told anyone any of this before. The idea of organizing his memories in a biographical manner had never occured to him. With a deep breath, he began at the beginning.

He told her about his birthplace, his parents, and Sicily in the 13th century. He told her about his parents' disappointment in him, then how they virtually ignored him once his brother was born. He told her about the night he ran away, and his subsequent wanderings. When he got to Abigayle, the woman who'd turned him, he found it easier than he'd thought. He came to a realization, as well.

For centuries, Drev had thought Abigayle was the only woman he'd ever loved, or could ever love. But since he'd been with Wren, those thoughts were gone. He no longer felt the deep, swirling sense of despair and regret when he thought of Lady Hautington.

He went on and on, not because he was embellishing the story, but because his story was so very long. He used events in history as markers in his story, telling her where he was when the New World was discovered, the American Revolution, the United States' Civil War, the World Wars, up to the Vietnam War, the Civil Rights movement... everything. He told her about how he got involved with the mafia in the 1920s, the atrocities he'd seen during the Great Depression, and what led him to the music industry. He told her about the forming of Starface, their success, tours, troubles, reunion, and everything in between.

He hadn't thought about what he would tell her. He just opened his mouth and let it all come out. His mouth was dry by the time he was finished, but his heart felt lighter, in a strange way, despite the massive weight of his deception still on his shoulders.
Wren 17 years ago
It was a lot of information. So much more than she could soak up in one massive out-pouring. This man, this solid real man, who's thigh clenched and relaxed, wiggled and moved with the telling of his story, was so old he might have known Columbus or Queen Victoria. Those thoughts were more unsettling than the blood drinking thing. She needed sleep, time to absorb all of this, and time to get used to the idea.

She still couldn't seem to stop the tears, they flowed and flowed, pooling in the depression where eye and nose met, spilling over and flowing over the bridge of her nose to join the tears from the other eye. The sobs had departed, making the hurt silent. He'd lied to her, for over a year he'd kept this from her. Told her he just needed to get out, that his eyes couldn't handle the sun. All the difficulty she went through to keep all of his appointments, flights, appearances and their outings at night, it was all based on a lie and that was the most difficult part of all of this.

She had been lied to her entire life, and she had expected so much more from Drev. The love in her heart kept her from packing her bags and leaving, but it did not keep it her heart from breaking. When he finally finished speaking she had just one more question for him, and then she would go to bed.

"What's your real name?"
Milazo 17 years ago
It tore at Drev's heart to see the tears in Wren's eyes and to know that he'd put them there.

"My birth name is Calo Antonio Milazo, but I still prefer Drev." He wanted to say more, to try and smooth it all over, but she needed some time now. He dumped a lot of information on her, and she was going to need some time to chew on it. But the fact that she was still here gave him a small measure of comfort.
Wren 17 years ago
Wren gave a small nod as the name whirled around with the images of his story. It fit better with the italian accents of the people that spoke to him. She wouldn't call him that, she hadn't when he'd told her the name before and she wouldn't now. Though it help, somehow to know it. She lay staring at the wall for some time, before her hip bone started to ache, and her body began to feel stiff and cramped. With a small sigh she pushed up from the floor and looked down at her vampire lover. It frightened her, she was woman enough to admit that she was scared of him now, but the fear was right there with that vague notion that spiders, snakes and thunder storms gave her. It was not like the fear she had of her brothers or guns or roller coasters, and that was comforting in a strange sort of way.

She put her palm to his cheek and held his head in her hand for a moment.
"I still love, and I want to find a way to make this work, but not tonight. I'm tired and I'm going to bed." Her voice was rough from the tears, but she didn't bother to correct it.

She leaned down and kissed his lips lightly, it was all she had for him and she wasn't sure she could handle more so she pulled away quickly. With a small nod, she turn around and went into their room. Her movements were slow and unsure as she peeled clothes from her body. She needed the comfort of cotton, so instead of her usual silk and lace, she pushed one of Drev's old faded rock band t-shirts over her head.

With out turning out the lights, Wren crawled into bed and sleep took her, but didn't keep her as she tossed and turned through the night.