Sometimes You Just Have to Ask (Attn Ysabel)

Running was a good way to clear her head and think, so Amberelle had been out jogging around the grounds since sunset. The vampire was still trying to understand what had happened the other night and found herself unable to make rational sense of it. So through the gardens and around the woods she ran, pushing herself hard. Eventually the blonde found herself approaching the stables. It had been in the back of her mind to seek out her clanmate and apparently her subconscious had guided her here.

Stopping just outside the entrance, she leaned against the doorframe to calm her breathing. Hot from the exercise she unzipped the hooded blue sweatshirt she wore and pulled it off. Amby knew she'd get cold quickly in just her sportsbra and running pants, but it didn't matter. It wasn't like the Creole could get a cold.

There was only one way to gain an understanding of these strange feelings Alex had awakened in her, and that was to ask someone who might just be able to relate. Hopefully Ysabel would be inside. Pushing herself up she stepped in and looked around for her friend.

Ysabel 17 years ago
"There, now."

Ysabel gently stroked the wide, warm forehead of the newest horse here. The trailer had arrived just before sunset and she'd hurried from the manor as soon as it was dark to see him. She had gone to great lengths to find and buy a horse exactly like this, and the man who oversaw her broodmares had assured her the mare had the qualities she was looking for.

The mare had been slightly unsettled from her long trip, but Ysabel had patiently stood nearby, talking softly to her, touching her gently, and finally, when she seemed calm enough, offering her a warm bran mash to relax her. Now, unable to resist, she had the mare crosstied in the aisle and they were both wearing equally blissful expressions as Ysabel curried away the sweat and shedding hair of travel.

A noise at the doorway made Ysabel jump almost guiltily; she looked around and only relaxed visibly when she saw Amberelle there. A wide smile brightened her features as she greeted her clan-sister.

"Amberelle! I was afraid you might be Ambrose."

She held out a hand to forestall any concern that she and her lover had had another falling-out. Instead, she indicated the young mare, a beautiful young blanket appaloosa.

"A late Christmas present for Ambrose," she said, smoothing her hand over the mare's silky flank. "It's a surprise."
Amberelle DeEspionne 17 years ago
A wide, warm smile appeared on Amberelle's face when she saw Ysabel standing inside. It faded slightly when the pretty Brit seemed to jump, and Amby felt guilty for startling her. The resulting explanation had her smile returning in full force and she walked over to admire the beautiful animal. Gently stroking its flank, she admired the graceful lines and turned to look at her fellow Anantya with an appreciative nod. She's beautiful.. I am sure he will love her.

Carefully walking over to the side so she didn't interrupt the grooming any further, she leaned against a nearby stall door and held her jacket in front of her. Her manner was slightly distracted, but she forced her tone to be pleasant. So things are good between you two? That's wonderful to hear.. I guess sometimes it's not easy for two people from different times to adjust to one anothers.. quirks. It was part question, part statement but she was completely curious about Ysabel's feelings on the matter.

Since the evening she had shared with Alex, the young Anantya had done an incredible amount of thinking about what (probably enormous) difficulties two kindred would find being together. Amby knew she was being pessimistic and her usual negative self, but what else could she think? That was what she hoped to find out from her older clanmate.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Amberelle seemed somewhat distracted as she patted the mare's flank and then moved away. Watching her discreetly from half-lowered lids as she continued to massage the horse's muscles, Ysabel floated a rubber-tipped curry over to Amberelle by way of invitation. If there was something on her mind, perhaps the gentle, repetitive currying action would help some.

"Things are wonderful with Ambrose and I," Ysabel agreed. "It's not always smooth going, but somehow I don't think Ambrose is meant for always clear sailing with no storms and no rough wind."

She grinned as she continued to work back and forth over the mare's side, from just behind her ears to the round curve of her rump.

"We both have our quirks," she admitted, "but we're working that out."

Observing Amberelle's reaction, she asked, "What is it that brings you out here at this time though? A jog through the stables? That's not the usual path most take, although I do agree the footing in the ring is quite good."

Normally such a question would have been blunt beyond Ysabel's tastes, but she thought of Amberelle as a friend, and if she needed help Ysabel would like to think she could offer it.
Accepting the floating curry, Amby laid her jacket aside over the stall and came to stand near Ysabel. Tentative at first, she watched and imitated her clan-sister's motions until she was sure they were correct. Gently patting the mare as she stroked, she found the activity was strangely soothing. Listening and nodding, the Creole decided she had to agree with her friend's assessment. Ambrose was more the gruff and surly type. At least you can look forward to lots of good makeup sex from all the fights. Giggling at her self, she carefully avoided looking at what she was sure would be a blushing Ysabel.

The Brit was very observant. Then again if one lived for over half of a millenium they probably learned quite a bit about that type of thing. Sighing, she had a faintly lost expression as she glanced over. I was just running.. it helps me think. Been doing it for hours.. another soft sigh escaped her lips and she paused a moment before continuing. I think I ended up here because I was hoping to find you. I guess I need advice.. I certainly can't figure this out on my own. Another long pause followed, as she tried to find the words to describe what had her so perplexed. I.. Well, there's this guy.. her cheeks were already getting pink as she struggled with herself. Sharing her thoughts with anyone was not a common occurance for the young Anantya, and she found it difficult. 'But I seem to be doing a lot of things outside my normal realm lately..' Alex is.. completely different than anyone I have ever known. A little quieter she added, I'm not used to knowing nice people.

Shrugging slightly, she didn't look over to see the shorter vampire's reaction.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel showed Amberelle how to rub the curry in a curcular motion, following the grain of the hairs on the mare's coat. "Go ahead, press harder. She can hardly feel that."

She simply laughed lightly at the suggestion that making up was enjoyable. Ysabel couldn't really argue; she and Amberelle had suggested as much to each other when they'd first spoken. And... well, making up was fun.

She tilted her head curiously at Amberelle when she said she'd been looking for her. Listening quietly as the younger vampire talked, Ysabel felt her lips continue to curve up in a smile. Amberelle's situation had the beginnings of the feel of her relationship with Ambrose.

Working her way back over the mare's side she moved around behind the sturdy horse, keeping her palm firmly on the mare's backside and staying close behind her.

"Whenever you pass behind a horse," she explained, "keep your hand on them so they know you're there and stick close to their legs. That way if they do decide to kick out, you won't receive the full force of the blow."

The mare was sweet and even-tempered though, and they were able to start currying the other side. Once they settled into a nice rhythm there as well, Ysabel turned to Amberelle.

"So what, exactly, makes this Alex so different, aside from being nice?"

She waited for the answer, concentrating on her brushstrokes, feeling warmed that Amberelle should seek her out for advice. Ysabel hadn't made too many new friends since her arrival in Nachton, but she liked to think even if she had, she would have picked Amberelle out from among any crowd as someone to get to know better.
What's different? Mmmm... Amberelle's face softened and she smiled as she thought of Alex. Well he's the first from our clan I've ever been attracted to. Hell.. the first of our kind, really. Her mouth scrunched to the side, Amby went over the mental list of "things about Alex I like" that she'd come up with during her run. Considering just what to share for a moment, she continued to brush the mare. After a short pause she continued, There are lots of little things about him.. he's charming, seems intelligent.. Sacrebleu but he's good looking... A little giggle escaped and she turned to grin at her friend. I never realized how sexy a British accent could be. Umm.. it took her a moment to stop grinning and regain her train of thought.

I think... I think the main thing is.. 'How do I make her understand how important this part is?' There was no easy way to explain the significance, so with a small sigh the younger vampire leaned her head against the mare as her hand stilled. It could open up a plethora of questions but it should be said. Her voice was quiet and soft when she resumed speaking. When I'm with him, when he holds me.. I felt.. safe. Twisting her head to look at Ysabel, Amberelle looked confused and sad. I've never had that before.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel continued to listen quietly, taking in not just Amberelle's words but her tone of voice, her body language, anything that might give her clues. If Ysabel had to guess, she would have thought of Amberelle as very similar to any one of the numerous young, nervous ladies she'd seen trying to play the game of courtship over the centuries.

There was something more, something - deeper, for lack of a better word, that seemed buried under simple nervous flutters. She spoke of being safe, and it was said in a different tone. That it was important to her was obvious.

Furrowing her brow slightly, Ysabel briefly pondered the irony of Amberelle coming to her for relationship advice. Until arriving in Nachton, Ysabel had never once had a relationship that was completely voluntary. Certainly, until meeting Ambrose, she had never had one based on nothing but mutual interest and attraction. But while she was probably the most unqualified person to discuss that, Ysabel did have centuries of experience in living with men, satisfying their needs, their wants, raising children, and in general, learning how to create a family.

She unclipped the crossties from the appaloosa's halter and fixed a single lead rope. Motioning to Amberelle to walk with her, she led the mare out onto the lawn in front of the stables, watching over her while she dropped her head to graze.

"I have to admit, I'm not sure what the trouble is," she said with a smile to Amberelle. "So far, what you've told me is you enjoy both his looks and his personality. I do agree, the English accent seems to have a certain appeal." She winked here, trying to find her friend's smile again amidst the concern that was now on her face. "But in addition, he fills something within you that's important to you. He makes you feel safe..."

Tilting her head curiously at Amberelle, Ysabel continued. "So far, it all sounds delightful to me. What, then is the problem?"

Was she concerned about how to proceed? Where to go from there? Did Alex not return her feelings? It didn't seem like that would be that case... or else Amberelle wouldn't have had the opportunity to experience the safety she felt when he held her.

Still, her words were gentle as she tried to draw out from her younger clanmate the crux of her troubles. Watching the young mare out of the corner of her eye, she kept her focus on Amberelle's face, waiting for her to continue.

((ooc: Assuming Amby is walking with Ysabel. Can change if it's not the case. ))
Following Ysabel, Amby walked quietly and listened to her friend. A smile did creep onto her face some as the older woman spoke but her mood remained subdued. Wrapping her arms about her waist, Amberelle tried to solidify all of the negative thoughts and doubts that seemed to plague her thoughts into words. Speaking slowly, she seemed to be almost thinking out loud. It just seems so.. sudden? Intense? Crazy.. reckless.. Merde, I mean I know almost nothing about the man! And I'm already tied up in knots inside.

Looking over at her clanmate, a mixture of emotions crossed her face. I'm afraid. And not just of the idea of a relationship.. with anyone, even.. god how can you trust someone like that! But.. what if all this is some temporary side effect of.. we.. I.. Her shoulders slumped some and she looked down at her foot as she scuffed her toe in the ground. Not quite willing to look the Brit in the eyes, Amby hesitantly asked, Can I ask you a very very personal question..? Unable to wait for a response for fear she'd lose the nerve, the Creole pressed on after a few seconds.You don't have to answer but... Have you ever umm.. fed.. on each other?
Ysabel 17 years ago
"Ahh." Ysabel frowned in thought. "You know, everything needs time to grow." She flipped her long hair over her shoulder and gathered up the lead rope as the mare moved so it wouldn't get caught around her ankles. "If the speed of your relationship is frightening to you, then slow it down. Tell him about it. Talk to him. If his regard for you is everything it should be, he will respect that."

Ysabel met Amberelle's eyes as she poke, hoping to impress upon her the importance of such openness and communication. "If you get carried away on this tide, Amby, it may be more difficult than you know, to pull back and find your footing again. You're a strong woman... don't be pushed further than you're comfortable with."

When Amberelle posed her personal question, Ysabel listened with gravity, and nodded, her brow still lined with thought, when Amberelle got it out. Once it was presented, her young face relaxed into a smile. She immediately assumed Amberelle meant 'on Ambrose,' given that they were discussing relationships, and answered as such.

"Yes, we have. Not often though, and generally only under the most intimate of circumstances. Why do you ask?"
Ysabel's response had her relaxing just a little. Thankfully she hadn't asked something too personal. Shrugging a shoulder, Amberelle looked at her friend and smiled. Well... we were kind of umm kissing and.. he offered.. and we.. There it was again, the silly grin that came with the warm fuzzy feeling she got inside remembering. A happy sigh escaped Amby's lips and she shivered delicately.

Is it always so... amazing? I mean.. it was.. Her eyes rolled and she did a small pirouette, clasping her hands to her chest. Looking over at the Brit, Amby giggled. It was better than.. you know.... It was so.. intimate. Struggling for words, the younger vampire's brow furrowed. I had no idea our kiss could bring so much pleasure. Biting her lip, she hesitantly explained. My sire would make me.. but he always liked it to.. hurt. The final word was barely audible.

Continuing on quickly, she tried to put that thought out of her mind.
I just.. well.. was wondering.. Sharing, like that, it wouldn't be why I feel so.. close.. to him or anything would it? Her topaz eyes looked at Ysabel, hoping she would clarify everything for her.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel laughed softly at Amberelle's pirouette and in-general lovesickness. Shaking her head she smiled. "I don't know of any sort of effect that would result from the sharing of blood. I am quite certain I did not suffer such, as it has been well-proven since then that Ambrose and I can argue whether or not we've shared that particular intimacy."

She gave a little sigh. "But, Amby, if you fear the speed of the relationship, then don't let it get out of control."

Sitting on the beautifully-worked wall by the stable entrance, she continued. "If his kiss brings you pleasure, if this sharing brings you joy, then do it, but do it with a whole heart. Don't let yourself be burdened by fears."

Ysabel toyed with the end of the lead rope in her hand; she didn't often fidget but when she did it was a sign of great concern. Amberelle couldn't know that but she recognized, within herself, that she was actually very worried. She cared about Amby, and wanted her friend to be happy.

"You need to know what you want first and foremost," she said. "What pain there's been in your past must be taken care of, and perhaps it's Alex who can teach you to trust in someone. Sharing doesn't have to hurt."

She watched Amberelle with kind eyes. Perhaps Alex was arousing in the younger woman what Ambrose had for Ysabel. Hardly the expert on dating, all Ysabel could do was draw from her own experience and speak from the heart.

And, perhaps, have a subtle, discreet chat with the object of Amberelle's budding affections.
Amberelle had no idea the relief she would feel when Ysabel informed her that the emotions she felt weren't just some strange side effect of the blood the couple had shared. Of course that then opened the possibilities for what it actually was that Alex made her feel and that was a scarey road the blonde was not ready to walk yet. But, it meant Amby could take what she felt at face value and not second guess it. That was a weight lifted from her shoulders.

Her expression became contemplative as the Brit urged her to know what she wanted. How could she? A relationship with another vampire wasn't something she'd ever even considered. If she was completely honest, any kind of emotional tie wasn't something she had ever considered. But what if her clanmate was right? What if he really could help to make all the pain and ugliness of her youth fade? Was that chance worth the risk of trusting him and finding herself betrayed by someone yet again? And how could she not bring her fears into everything she did? The young vampire's head was starting to hurt from all these questions and she squeezed her eyes shut, a hand coming up to rub her temple.

Sighing, she leaned against the wall beside the older woman.
Ysabel, I want to.. to trust him, but.. What if things go badly? I've done some terrible things.. things I'm, I'm.. ashamed.. of, and what if he finds out? If I take the chance and try I don't know if I can handle it if things go badly. Especially if I'm the one who screws everything up. Her eyes glittered with moisture as she looked over at her friend.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel reached her free hand up, slipped her arm aroun Amberelle's shoulders, and gently rubbed her friend's back. "You know, there's a good deal of truth to the old adage, 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained.' It's up to you whether the chance for love, the possibility that this man will care for you and support you, are worth the risk of your own heart."

She smiled. "It's not always neat and pretty," she admitted. "You may get hurt. He may get hurt. But, if you both care, the things either of you have done will matter very little. If he likes who you are, then what got you there, good or bad, won't make too much of a difference and he'll accept it as part of who you are."

Past conversations with Ambrose played through her head, and she thought perhaps Amberelle might benefit from hearing the take from the other side of the coin.

"Ambrose has been no angel either, over the course of his life. I'm sure that will surprise you greatly," she said with a wink. "But you know, in spite of it all, I love him. And no matter where he's been, he's here with me now and I'm grateful for that."

She enjoyed saying the words, which she could never tell Ambrose. Words of love didn't come easily to him, and they had never mentioned love between them. Ysabel had never needed to hear it; she knew.

"I haven't spent my entire life being and angel either," Ysabel continued, "but he doesn't hold it against me. That's the beauty of caring for someone."

She squeezed Amberelle to her. "Trust yourself," she said. "You won't screw up if you're both honest with each other, and if it doesn't work out, you will learn and grow. You can't stay the same forever. If you want to love and be loved, you have to open yourself to being hurt as well."
Every word Ysabel said made sense, and while her sage advice may not have eliminated Amberelle's fears, it had served to soothe them enough that the blonde felt she would be able to handle them. Leaning in to her friend, the Creole rested the side of her head against the other vampire's and returned her one armed hug. It felt good to have someone she could turn to for advice. The elder woman reminded Amby of her Grandmother some with her sweet and quiet ways but wise thoughts.

Ambrose is a lucky, lucky man mon ami. Sighing softly, she nodded ever so slightly. Her voice was firm and resolute. I know you're right, and I am going to try. Amby bit her lip as she stared out into the night. It wasn't going to be easy. But the idea of being happy, really and truely happy was just too enticing not to at least attempt. After all, things had worked out for her friend and there were a lot of similarities between the two couples. Maybe there was hope for this endless existance she was cursed with after all. That made Amberelle smile.

Straightening slowly, she squared her shoulders and turned around to face Ysabel. Thank you.. you have no idea how much you've helped me tonight. And now I should leave you to your training.. I don't want to monopolize your whole evening.

((OOC out pending responses unless Ysabel has anything further to speak with her about!))
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel nodded to Amberelle, warmed by her friend's apparent resolution. "If you need me, for anything, you know where to find me."

Nodding in the direction of the Manor, she said, "You're welcome to drop in anytime." Even if Amberelle didn't know exactly where Ysabel stayed, there was no reason Rupert shouldn't be able to tell her where to find her. It didn't take much sleuthing to figure out if Ysabel was in the Manor, she was either in her suite or Ambrose's.

"I'm not sure Dayle likes Nachton as much I do," she said with a little smile, "but then again I have every reason to keep myself here indefinitely."

She watched Amberelle go with a little wave and a curtsey, gathering up the new mare's lead rope once more and smoothing her hand over the silky mane.

((ooc: Ysabel out!))