Command Performance (private, attn:Thaddeus)

Sorin stopped in a formal living room area that was away from the main path of party goers and people who might be leaving but not so far away as to be suspicious should someone walk up on the two of them talking. It would, however, be -most- inconvenient to be seen alone with Thaddeus given his plans for the man.

He turned and waited seemingly patiently for the blonde to arrive; inside he was alive with anticipation and hoped that it would not be too noticeable to Alfarinn, who was quite probably the most sensitive empath in the house, if not the only one. Sorin could hope they were far enough away and that the other people in the room with the Evenhet would give him some cover and make him less noticeable.

Sorin regarded Thaddeus with a pleasant and hopefully fatherly expression. He had very little time to say what he wanted to say so it was best to get it right on the first go.

“Thaddeus, I've been watching you this evening and you seem stressed. I'm concerned that you're taking these personal issues too seriously. I would like you to go to the museum later tonight and forget everything concerning this investigation of yoursfor awhile. Take a little time off and enjoy yourself.”

He smiled sweetly at the man who was once his most promising student. Perhaps if things worked out in both their favors then Thaddeus could be so again; if not then he would regret having to sacrifice him for the greater good. The Norseman would have to die and soon. The Evenhet would of course be suspicious of him but there was little he could prove on this count.

“I do apologize for my earlier lack of understanding about your new relationship. The two of us, as I'm sure you know, do not have the best history together.”

It would probably be best to simply hire several vampire thugs. Perhaps he could command a few clanless that looked reasonably capable. If he were lucky then he could find a few that were already predisposed to disliking the Evenhet for some reason; if it seemed probable that it was their own idea then it would be unlikely that anyone would investigate further for someone else behind it. He would then, of course, agree with the other elders that they should be punished by death thus removing the possibility of later investigation.

“How have things been going?”

((OOC More Command with permission. Living room used with permission. Thank you for your hospitality, Cyrus ))

Thaddeus Grey 17 years ago
Thaddeus returned Sorin’s smile with one of his own, mixing it with a trace of bemusement at his Elder’s suggestion and trying to keep anything resembling contempt out of his expression. Oh, he seemed stressed did he? Now why do you suppose…

He spoke lightly and easily.

“Do I? In that case perhaps a break is in order. Is there something you would recommend I see?”

He couldn’t expect the small talk to last but he hoped to steer away from the investigation as much as he could. In any case, he was most assuredly not going to go to any museum tonight, however much appeal that idea had.

Both eyebrows went up at Sorin’s apology and he had the fleeting thought that there was a time when that would have made him very happy. Now, however, there was a furious part of him that wanted to tear out an apology for Emma’s sake. And for Eric’s. For the lives he'd ended, or ruined. For trying to end his own. He looked down at the ground, his smile in place.

“I would have preferred to have told you in another way.”

That was true enough; his secrecy regarding Alfarinn had always been temporary, a matter of waiting for the proper time, when the knowledge would put no one in danger. Sorin, he believed, worked in exactly the opposite way, keeping secrets until they could do the most possible harm. Like his involvement with Eric Gould, that he had kept to himself while Thaddeus had told his accounting of kidnapping and torture, bleeding through his sleeves from wounds too grave to be healed in a single feeding. Would Sorin have told him about Eric? Ever? There was a time when Sorin –could- have told him, and he would have understood, and perhaps tried to help his Elder out of a terrible situation. Did Sorin know that or was his blackened heart too jaded to believe anyone would ever act outside of their own self interest? Had his Elder even considered telling him the truth that night when the only answers were in bloody cuffs and implicit silence?

Dismissing his wandering questions as unimportant, he looked up, meeting his Elder’s eyes.
“Everything is quite well – we truly are happy together.” He smiled lightly. “You certainly had quite the vivacious dinner companion this evening.”

He really should send to Alfarinn but if they were nearly done here he would be worrying his lover for nothing. It was a simple polite conversation and he should be able to get through that unscathed and unattended – it was surprising to him that keeping his temper was just as much a concern in all of this as avoiding being cornered.
Sorin 17 years ago
Sorin appeared thoughtful for a moment and then smiled.

"You always seemed interested in the weapons perhaps you should take some time and go see those alone and give yourself a few moments to relax and recoup."Â?

He put his hand on Thaddeus' shoulder and looked at him with every evidence of earnest.

"I worry about you Thaddeus, you've always been like a son to me."Â?

And perhaps you will again. He had to admit he missed the way that the blonde had looked up to him and saw the good in him that he was always careful to reflect when Thaddeus was around. It was perhaps why he chose to use this method of dealing with the problem now that he had some time to think. His true anger was at the bloody fisherman and his corruption of someone so honest and loyal as Thaddeus. Without Alfarinn's interference Thaddeus would have wasted a bit of time on Emma's ring and then given it up as a lost cause or better yet come to -him- with it and asked for guidance. He could have led him to Lykaios and the hunt for Emma's murderer would finally be solved. Without having been there at the Wolf's death he could not know whether he was implicated somehow in the crime.

Thaddeus seemed to hold himself differently, perhaps more distantly but that could easily be Alfarinn's meddlesome influence. Sorin gritted his teeth and resolved to find some hunters this very night if at all possible.

He feigned a smile and nodded in understanding.

"Of course you would. It is my fault for not waiting for a decent hour to come speak with you."Â?

Sorin chuckled and shrugged in a 'what can you do' gesture.

"Ah Dawn. She's a bit rough around the edges but she has a lot of talent and enthusiasm. I was hoping that she would join the Night. It would suit her, I believe. Perhaps you could talk to her. She might appreciate a less daunting source from which to receive answers."Â?

He moved them slowly back towards the crowd. They did not need to be gone too long lest someone remember that they had been alone together at the party.
Thaddeus Grey 17 years ago
Thaddeus nodded his head at Sorin’s suggestion, surprised that the Elder had noticed his interest at the Arch. It was, however, tempting to roll his eyes at the idea of going alone. Not bloody likely. Was this an attempt to get him away from Alfarinn if only for a short while? Or was it something more sinister?

He very nearly flinched at the touch to his shoulder, and felt his brows knit together at what Sorin said next. Affecting concern and incredulity, he tilted his head to one side to play off the frown.
“Sorin…I’m fine, I’ll be just fine.”

Perhaps something of an awkward save but his Elder’s comment had come as a blow. God, why was he –doing- this? Pretending to care, to be a friend…why bother except to test his own limits for his capacity for heartless deception? What benefit did he see in cultivating a relationship with him at all? It was completely unnecessary and certainly gave him no advantage. How could Sorin stand to look him in the eyes and tell him that he was like a son to him? That sort of lie should be unbearable.

How could he not have seen this before?

He supposed he knew the answer to that last question but he wasn’t inclined to face it right this moment. They were moving back toward the party now but even so there was no reason to let his guard down by letting his mind wander.

“I would be glad to speak to Dawn on behalf of the Night.”

He hadn’t missed the slight but it wasn’t as though Sorin didn’t have a point – he –was- less daunting and rather unimportant in the scheme of things. In any case, he supposed he could hope that Sorin’s interest in Dawn was merely recruitment at this point and nothing deeper but he was not optimistic. He wondered if there might be some subtle way to warn her of the dangers in associating with the Elder of the Night but thought their best chance of keeping his clanmates safe from Sorin’s influences was to find enough evidence to see him arrested as quickly as possible.

/ooc both out and back to the party