Heart Medicine

The car had barely come to a standstill before Shay ejected herself and ran headlong into the trees. Still singing, she just couldn't get the song out of her head.

"Come by steam, come by gas, Call for free on a pass
On the drags and the glass, come back to me
Leave your bills all unpaid, Let your bed go unmade
Your souffle unsouffled, come back to meeeeeeee!"

The fire in her blood, and the crisp night air, all served to give Shay a momentum she now tried to expend. Running, and jumping, she did a couple laps of the area, and then slowed, and approached Dayle.

"Come in pain or in joy, As a girl, as a boy
In a bag or a trunk, On a horse or a drunk,
In the flora or faun, come back to meeeee!"

Taking Dayle's hands, Shay finished her song, spinning the two of them around in a small circle, until Shay became so dizzy that she let go and fell softly to the grass. Lying on her back, she stared up at the sky and was amazed at the number of stars she could see. The sounds around her seemed intense, but even the owl, and the distant traffic noises couldn't invade the wonder she now felt surrounded by all the pretty greenery.

"This is a beautiful place Dayle."

Dayle 17 years ago
Dayle shook her head in wonderment at Shay's antics, and focused her senses on the vampire as she dashed through the area. Hoping very muchly so that no one around heard or saw her - and indeed her enhanced perception didn't seem to pick up anyone near - she focused back to normal as Shay came running towards her.

Suddenly her hands were grabbed and she found herself spinning in a circle with the younger vampire. As they spun, Dayle was acutely aware of encroaching dizziness, but thankfully her counterweight disengaged before something untoward happened. Equally as suddenly, Shay was on her back, staring up at the sky. Dayle crouched next to her, then lay on her side on the grass, leaning her head on her palm, propped up on her elbow.

"It definately is, Shay, it definately is." Rolling onto her back, she too looked up at the sky. Letting her senses expand, she heard off in the distance a dog barking, and what sounded like an intimate couple. She saw a satellite of some sort, not much more than a slow-moving shiny speck - even with her ability - and something a bit larger against the moon. The space station perhaps? The scent of baby powder tickled at the edge of her sense of smell... She considered speaking out loud, but didn't want to break the tranquility of the moment. Instead, she internalized what she would have whispered: 'Either someone changed a baby here recently, or you have baby fresh deodorant.' She could still detect the bitter twang of the nitroglycerin on her tongue, and wondered if the drug had metabolized sufficiently from Shay's body.
Shay 17 years ago
When the sky didn't stop spinning after a few seconds, Shay felt a bit woozy. She also seemed to be running out of steam, and the ground beneath her back felt wonderful, even if somewhat cold.

"Ugh. I really need to learn how to tell if people are on medications, before I go biting." Throwing her arm across herself, and onto Dayle, Shay reached for the other woman's side, and then both rolled and pulled herself over. Rolling onto her side, she trapped her other arm beneath her, but didn't move. Looking at her friend, who was looking up at the sky, Shay smiled, then rested her head on Dayle's stomach.

"I thought about getting up, and then thought against it. I'm not sure I can walk straight at the moment, so I hope you don't mind hanging around down here for a while."

She hoped she wasn't too heavy, as she half laid across Dayle. The woman beneath her was much softer, and warmer than the ground, and she was quite comfy.

"But then again, I don't suppose I can sleep here either." And a huge yawn exploded from Shay's lips at that exact moment, that she had no chance to stifle.

"Mmmm...but this certainly is nice." Her words were becoming fainter, as Shay felt all the previous energy seep out from within her.
Dayle 17 years ago
"That's something that will come with time," Dayle noted, and when she saw Shay move arched a brow as she watched the younger vampire out of her peripheral vision.

Then suddenly, Shay-head was laying on her stomach, and it felt like a part of Shay-shoulder too. Weighing the merits of carrying Shay back to the car, she heard the comment about sleeping, the yawn nearly drawing a sympathetic explosion from herself, and the quieting of Shay's voice as she spoke again.

Dayle wondered if the combination of the nitro in the meal with the extreme exertion Shay had just indulged in helped burn off the medicine, but then realized that, if it had, it was also the time Shay had been dancing in the car. So, perhaps the process of metabolizing the 'infectant' burned off all Shay had just eaten? She wasn't sure. Nitroglycerin certainly wasn't a worry she'd had the first few times she'd fed, six hundred years ago. Then again, the lassitude of a good feeding could just be overcoming the younger.

"If you get too tired, we can take you back to the car and get you home. No sense worrying anyone overmuch by staying out all night, especially considering that whole 'outside and susceptible to sunlight' thing the park has going on for it."

Dayle pictured the task of getting Shay to the car, then into the Domicile, if she really was as wiped out as she seemed. First imagining having Shay in her arms like a classic movie carry, or maybe over her shoulder like a King Kong carry? She made a snorting sound, without jolting her stomach's occupant, as she moved onto the next image: carrying Shay piggy-back. The combination of the three made Dayle giggle momentarily, and she felt bad making her stomach move Shay's head. "I was just thinking of how I might need to carry you to the car, and into the apartment. It tickled me."
Shay 17 years ago
The highs, then the lows, were a lot for Shay to take in, with being out and about, and among people. Since waking up under Ginnie's roof, not so long ago, Shay had done little but sit on her ass, and wait. She waited for the night when she would be strong enough to go out, she waited for the time she would be ready to feed from a human, and not a bag, she waited to begin her life again, and tonight she had stopped waiting.

But she had not expected such a dramatic welcome to the world of vampirism. It was a great relief to know, or to hope, that much of this was a result of the tainted blood, and not something she would need to deal with every time she fed.

And Dayle. Dayle was a nice surprise too. Up till now she had thought the woman to be solely a keeper, or warden, and while always amiable, Shay didn't know if Dayle had it in her to have fun. Joking aside, Shay had now seen a side of Dayle that made her appreciate her more as a friend. Dayle could now be seen in a light outside of her Tacharan obligations.

As Shay lay there, being introspective, and enjoying her position, her position shifted slightly. Dayle spoke and then giggled, and Shay slipped a bit from her 'pillow'. Hearing things of concern, and then the short chuckle, Shay sat up. Looking down upon the still prone woman, Shay shook her head.

"No, I don't care to experience that 'whole outside and susceptible to sunlight' thing, nor do I wish to be a burden. Though I can see how comical it would be to try and carry me anywhere. I don't know myself, having nothing to compare to, but Alec told me how 'we' are somewhat stronger than humans. Yet I don't know to what level that takes us, and while we may also heal quickly, I don't think I need to see just how much it would take out of you to need to 'haul' me home. Nor does the thought of falling on my head sound fun." And as she truly did now see how funny it would be for a woman almost identical in size, to have to carry her anywhere, Shay smirked.

Another bout of wooziness hit Shay then, and she slowly lowered herself back to the ground alongside Dayle.

"However, a friendly arm of support, I'm afraid, will be required."
Dayle 17 years ago
"I don't think anyone's tried to quantify our strength or speed differences yet because it really doesn't matter; we just are. As you are, a week old in your new existence, you could probably lift the front of your car and not feel much more strain than lifing a sack of potatoes. Myself, I could probably lift it in the air - assuming I could find a good handhold - and move it one parking slot over. As you 'age' quote-unquote, new abilities, new strengths will avail themselves to you... But so too will new failings." Dayle watched as Shay attempted to right herself, then slowly lowered back to the ground. Glancing over at the now short-cropped woman, she saw a bit of grass stuck in her hair. Reaching, Dayle brushed it out with a fingertip or two.

"The arm of support would be gladly given," Dayle commented, "But if I needed to carry you, I certainly wouldn't be dropping you. Except onto a couch or bed. Or a bath, depending on how much more you roll yourself around in the grass." She looked at Shay, a smirk on her face. "Just kidding."

Suddenly on a random tangent, as Dayle looked back up at the sky, "You know if we'd gotten here a couple hours ago we could have seen the shuttle take off... At least, followed its path along the eastern seaboard a little. Speaking of..." She rolled onto her side again to more fully look at Shay.

"Have you noticed yourself able to do new things? Like move things with your mind? Or hear things or see small things from far away?" Dayle's own Perceptive abilities and her recent memory of seeing the space station silhouetted against the moon made her wonder what Shay might develop. She obviously got the amnesia as part of her change... But what else might she acquire, the Brit wondered, and how would she acclimate to the new abilities? "I mean, it's completely possible you've inherited other abilities, but I was just curious if you noticed anything new. It very well may take more time for you to develop, especially since some of the abilities others in our family are gifted with are rather... situational."
Shay 17 years ago
Trust was something Shay was now beginning to feel around Dayle, as well as Ginnie, and Alec. She assumed she had little choice at the moment, considering her life was in their hands, but so far none of them had hurt her, nor told her anything she hadn't found to be true. So she had no reason to feel differently.

She considered that having a small circle...or semi-circle of trustworthy people around her, could also be responsible for how quickly she learned to live in this world.

"I didn't really think you'd drop me on my head...but the prospect was still a little funny, none the less."

Watching the sky more intently now, with the prospect of possibly seeing something more than a million stars, Shay's mind wandered a little farther. As she let in Dayle's words, she was mildly intrigued by how much they mirrored her own thoughts.

"Funny you should mention that...but I was just sitting here...er, lying here thinking...there seems to be a dog, off in the distance somewhere, barking up a storm. And people...a man and woman...having a mild argument over where to spend Christmas day, not far off."

Sitting up, Shay turned towards Dayle, and pulled one leg under the other, folding her hands in her lap.

"Tonight I've found myself more in tune with the things around me...and not necessarily closely around me, but I was thinking maybe it was like vampire strength...something that came with the package. Though too, my perception of what's going on around me is more subtle than obvious strength, and having nothing prior to compare it too, I wasn't sure if it was just the way people in general were either. Though I can't say anyone I've seen on television has exhibited such tendencies."

Shay finally felt better, and no longer felt like her blood was rushing, or her head was spinning. She now felt slightly better than she had prior to feeding from Barbara.

"I don't know that I've noticed seeing things differently...or better...or whatever. Again, I'm not sure I would recognize better sight..."

She peered back into the heavens, and still just saw stars. Looking around them she saw trees, and bushes, and a bunny scampering beneath a hedge. Turning her gaze onto Dayle again, she looked and concentrated. The woman was still very pretty, though that wasn't something that would have changed in the past few hours. Dayle's skin was clear, and fine, and appeared very soft, but aside from a stray eyelash, Shay didn't 'see' anything unusual.

Leaning over Dayle, closely, Shay took the tip of her finger, and touched a spot on Dayle's cheek. Moving her finger back, so Dayle could see the eyelash she had removed, she lowered her finger toward Dayle's lips.

"Seems to me I've heard somewhere you're supposed to make a wish and blow it off."
Dayle 17 years ago
Dayle giggled as the thought of dropping Shay on her head popped into her mind again, and complimented Shay, "It was funny, very true! But still I wouldn't purposefully let that happen to you."

Dayle nodded as Shay described the goings-on around them. "The dog has been rather noisy of late, and actually, that man and woman you're hearing - Steve and Donna - just finished shagging, and started talking about whether or not to go to the other's family for the holiday. Something about the grandfather staring at Donna like a piece of meat."

She watched interestedly as Shay sat up and turned towards her. The observations Shay was mentioning certainly rang true enough, though Dayle felt she needed to be honest: "Those things you heard would likely be possible with the quote unquote standard vampire sensory improvements. Admittedly, I don't know how far away the couple is, but there is the chance you could be hearing at a more perceptive level... It is something you could exercise. I could help you, if you wish, but I want you to understand that, just because you cannot do one fantastic vampire-like thing, doesn't mean you won't get another that is equally fantastic."

Shay's attention moved back to the sky, but then down and around the forest. When her bluish-green eyes returned to Dayle, she arched a brow minutely at the intense inspection. A moment later, Shay leaned over and gently touched her cheek. The fingertip appeared just at the lower edge of her vision, in front of her mouth. The little dark lash on the tip of the closely manicured finger there rested oblivious to what was about to happen. 'You're supposed to make a wish and blow it off.'

Dayle made a wish; not one that would rock the heavens, nor one that would impinge pain on anyone. Then, pursing her lips, gently blew against Shay's finger, the lash spiralling off into the darkness.
"An odd custom, to be sure, but one I think I'm happy to learn." Smiling, she reached up and wrapped her hand in Shay's to squeeze it briefly before letting go. "Thank you."
Shay 17 years ago
Whatever 'gifts' Shay had been given, along with her immortality, she could wait to discover. So many things before her were new, and required contemplation that leaving a few things to find out about later, was fine with her.

Hearing Dayle provide more intimate details to round out Shay's own perceptions, told her that whatever ability she had wasn't being used as efficiently as it should. Shay would make a point of paying better attention, and see if she could hone that skill, as Dayle suggested. And if there was something Dayle could do to help, she'd be happy to solicit it. She didn't see any reason to have the power, if the didn't use it to its fullest.

"It is odd. I suppose its another one of those things I picked up off the telly." Shay remembered hearing someone with a British accent call the television that, and thought it appropriate now, with her present company. She grinned at Dayle, wanting the other woman to know she wasn't making fun, but more so trying to do something to bring them closer. Friends did that...didn't they? They helped each other, and did for each other, but also they shared experiences, and made memories together. Shay was in desperate need of memories, and was glad to have the time now to make as many as she could.

The feel of Dayle's hand, squeezing her own, felt nice.

"De nada." She answered without thinking, and then wasn't sure where she had heard those words, or truly what they meant. "I think I heard someone respond like that to a thank you...I'm not sure how I know what it means either, except I think it means...'it's nothing'."

Shay stood up then, and bent over from the waist, holding a hand down to Dayle.

"You think maybe we should be going? I'd have to guess we're safe here, or you wouldn't have stopped, but I'm a little tired, and really don't want to make you carry me up to my apartment if I don't have to. I hate to end the evening, but I also hate the idea of not waking up tomorrow from overdoing it."
Dayle 17 years ago
"Well," Dayle said in response to Shay's mentioning of the telly, "either you spent time with a Brit or Aussie in your past life, or you watched Bridget Jones recently. Then again, it could be ... Oh I should just shut up. A psychologist I am not." But the response of 'de nada' to her thanks raised another eyebrow; Dayle simply nodded at its definition.

Dayle barely paid attention as Shay stood, but then looked more at her as she leaned over, offering her hand. What she said held a note of 'good idea;' it had been a busy evening for her.
"It's not ending, Shay," Dayle said, focused on her eyes, as she reached a hand up and allowed Shay to pull her upright. For a moment, Dayle had had a clear view into Shay's shirt and noticed her companion hadn't worn any restraining articles. Once standing she felt her cheeks warm again as she looked up just a little at the taller woman. "Because we'll both still have each other to chat up when the day is over. And unless I miss my guess, I just discovered something else we have in common at the moment. Besides," she said with a mischievous wink, "how would your 'mum' react to a girl carrying you over your threshold?"

Shaking her head and smiling, she asked, "Would you like me to drive back?"
Shay 17 years ago
As she had been doing most of the past several days, and especially tonight, when Shay wasn't sure if someone was answering truthfully, or jokingly, she just nodded. Dayle's comment on prior lives with Brits or Aussies was nothing Shay had knowledge of, and she didn't recall seeing any one named Bridget Jones on television. Was she a talk show host, or maybe a chef?

"You may not be a psychologist, but you know much more about such things than I do, so your thoughts are very welcome."

When Dayle stood, Shay noticed her face was flushed, and wondered why. Reaching forward with the backs of her fingers, Shay moved them softly across Dayle's cheek.

"Are you alright? You seem a bit feverish? And what is it you have found in common with me?" The question about her mum threw Shay at first, until she guessed Dayle met Ginnie. But once she figured that part out, the part about being carried over the threshold confused her all over again.

"I don't know how Ginnie would react...pleased maybe, that you had taken such good care of me?"

Pulling the keys from her jeans pocket, Shay handed them to Dayle. She enjoyed driving, but was still feeling tired, and didn't want to do anything that might cause an accident.

"Yes, please, and thank you Dayle."

Shay climbed back onto the passenger seat, and leaned into the corner between the door, and the seat, resting her head against the cold glass of the window. Her hand covered a yawn, but her eyes remained open as she watched Dayle get into the car as well.

"This has truly been an interesting evening."
Dayle 17 years ago
Dayle wasn't quite sure if Shay knew exactly what she was talking about but nodded at Shay's comment about her thoughts being welcome. She smiled then when Shay's fingers gently touched her cheek. "Feverish? No. For the most part, vampires can't get sick. As far as things found in common, I found what you don't have, and that is a bra." Winking Dayle started walking with Shay towards the car.

"I don't really know how she'd react myself, but with a dodgy old codger like me, and a young lovely sweet thing like you, she could jump to all sorts of conclusions about what happened or didn't happen on our outing. In any case, it doesn't matter as long as you're okay."

Dayle took the keys and unlocked the doors. Climbing in, she saw Shay's eyes on her, smiled again, and buckled herself in. "I'm glad you've found it so. I think we've both learned a few things. Which reminds me, now that I think on you learning about the effects nitroglycerin has on you, I should email Barb's doctor to tell her to go easier on the meds." Shaking her head, she pulled them out of the spot and aimed the car towards 'home.'

As they turned onto the Strip, Dayle commented,
"By the way, if there's ever anything I say or make reference to that you don't understand, please ask me. I'd hate for you to be wallowing in some sort of, if you'll pardon the expression, ignorant haze, until you remember to research something you'd heard. Perhaps you might also want to carry a small notepad, to take notes on new stuff you're learning about... well except the whole vampire deal. That we wouldn't want you to put on paper."
Shay 17 years ago
Getting used to the obvious things about vampires would take time, but Shay didn't doubt she'd eventually get the hang of it. Not aging, or getting ill seemed to be the best perks of the package; however, if Dayle wasn't feverish, all Shay could come up with as a reason for her pinked face was a blush. The lack of Shay's bra seemed to be behind the blush as well, and being 'caught out' so to speak made her own cheeks warm.

"Nah...I'm smallish enough that I only wear one when fashion dictates. I don't think they're very comfortable, and for now I'm all about comfort. But you say we have that in common?" Shay's eyes immediately went to Dayle's chest. Sadly...sadly?...sadly with the turtleneck and other sweater Dayle wore, there was virtually no evidence of free breasts.

"I guess I'll have to take your word for that one." Thinking a change of subject might be in order, Shay tried to understand how Dayle could call herself a 'dodgy old codger', when she looked so much younger than Shay herself did. Being a vampire, Shay had no idea how old Dayle actually was, and guessed there was a possibility that the woman was hundreds of years older. But since it just didn't match up with what Shay saw, she found it difficult to fathom.

Yet the 'jumping to conclusions' was the thing Shay centered on.

"What conclusions...I'm afraid I'm not following." But then Dayle was talking about Barb again, and Shay was left to ponder her thoughts alone. Or so she thought.

"Yes, actually there is something I don't understand...going back to the whole thing about you and I and Ginnie assuming something might have happened between us tonight."

And then it was as if a lightbulb went off over Shay's head.

"Wait...are we talking about being gay?" Shay asked the question as simply as if she had asked if it was cold outside. There was no judgement in her voice, or evidence that she had any feelings, one way or the other, about the topic.

With no memory of who she was before, she only had the words of Ginnie and Alec about the mysteriously vanishing man, to give her any clue about her previous lifestyle. But assuming she had been heterosexual then, really had no bearing on who she was now. A clean slate was who she was, and how she decided to live her life would probably be determined by those she met, and wanted to share it with.

Looking at Dayle in a completely different light, Shay thought she could honestly say she was now curious, and had just realized something else. Sex was something she wanted to try...and soon.
Dayle 17 years ago
"Fashion needs to learn how to write her own memos, because she's too damned busy ruling lives to worry about dictation." Dayle winked at her companion, and though the obvious stab at humor would probably fall flat, it was the thought that counted, right?

Grinning at Shay's reasoning behind not wearing a bra, she agreed,
"Aye! Bugger all of em that say uncomfortability should be enforced. I'm comfortable without more often than not, and it's not like I need to impress anyone with em."

She wondered if her comment to Shay about 'dodgy old codger' would stick, but it seemed that the strange hope she'd had about being asked her age was to be dashed again... Especially when her previous comments were brought back to her, about talking about being gay. Shaking her head, Dayle answered, "No, you are. I mean more along the lines of getting you high on prescription medication to the point of severe exhaustion and needing to carry you home, or maybe running you ragged at some new dance club and getting you schnookered to the point of wobbling like a penguin..." With a shrug, she amended as she turned onto the last street before the Domicile, "Or being gay. For which I don't know any feelings she really has about the matter, nor any you may have, or even to be honest any I have myself."

And Dayle was being honest about it. While she had engaged in a few rendezvous with women, she'd never explored any sort of real relationship. Turning into the parking spot Shay had vacated hours earlier, she set the transmission into 'park' and shut off the engine. "Going to be alright to walk up? Or shall I get out my carry mode?" she asked with a wink.
Shay 17 years ago
So many experiences, and thoughts, and ideas tonight...Shay thought she was getting a headache, but wasn't certain if it was all that had preceded the moment now, or perhaps just the drugs still effecting her.

Following Dayle's minor diatribe about fashion, she managed a weak smile. Had she been more clear headed she might have laughed at that comment even. But being tired, and overwhelmed, she didn't pursue the thought any more than she already had.

It did occur to her though, when they were discussing boobs and bras, that she might not discount the idea of playing her's up some, given the occasion or ability. Though she had got her hair cut, to offer her more freedom, and less hassle, she could see going to a bit more trouble getting fixed up nice for a special occasion. And since it was apparently her own mind that had taken the jaunt onto the road to sex, she considered that with the last man in her life, she may have enjoyed a healthy libido. That might also account for why her mind seemed stuck on that subject now.

In an attempt to alleviate some of her discomfort, Shay gladly accepted what Dayle said, and played on it instead.

"I should assume parts of what you just said were in jest, right...or as an exaggeration? I'm sorry...somethings I hear I still have a difficult time deciphering. But I'm sure Ginnie will expect me to have a life outside the Domicile, and don't see why she would find the need to worry about me, in whatever aspect. At least not while I'm with you. I don't see why she and Alec would 'hire' you to babysit me, if they didn't trust you in the first place."

It was probably the fact that she was tired, in conjunction with stimulation overload on her first night away from home, that was now making Shay just a little bit terse.

"I'm sorry, please don't take offense, or think that I'm at all angry or upset with you, or anything we've done tonight."

She yawned into the back of her hand as she opened the door and began to get out of the car.

"I think I can make it up stairs okay, but you should probably come along, just to be on the safe side."

And though Shay was now glad to be 'home', she didn't want to be alone. Not just yet.

(Shay and Dayle out and back to the Domicile.)