Difficult Beginnings

Ginnie watched as Shay thrashed and cried out in the throes of The Change. Her personal change had not been so violent, but perhaps that was because her's had not taken place in the midst of violence. Unable to watch ay longer, Ginnie retreated to the kitchen and pulled a bag of blood from the drawer of the fridge. She poured it into her favorite mug, and warmed it in the microwave. It was such a mundane task ad it soothed her. Shay's cried continued in the other room, as Ginnie took her first sips from the mug. She'd made it halfway through when a crash followed by a thud had her running into the living room.

Shay lay on the couch, but her end table, and lamp were in pieces on the floor. Sighing softly she began to pick up the small pieces of class and place them into the large unbroken bottom of the lamp. Shay whimpered, moaned and gave the occasional shudder, and Ginnie wondered if she was nearing the end and would need to be fed again.

She carted the lamp into the kitchen and dumped it into the garbage. Passing back through the living room, she righted the end table then pulled the vacuum from the closet. With out much thought to her actions she vacuumed the area around the couch, and because it covered the piteous noises of her new child...'Oh God, she's my child now. I don't want this.' She vacuumed the entire room, hot tears streaming down her cheeks to make dark blotches on her shirt.

When there was no more places to vacuum Ginnie put the machine away and returned to the living room. Shay lay quietly now, and Ginnie took up a place on the coffee table, close enough to help, far enough away to protect herself, from what she was unsure, but it helped calm her nerves.

Shay 17 years ago
Whatever she was going through, be it death, or some type of torture she'd never heard of, it seemed to be subsiding. There was something in her mouth...something sweet...something she wanted more of...something she needed...desperately.

It occurred to her then that the light was gone, but that it wasn't completely pitch black either. In fact...yes...she was becoming more conscious of her physical body now, and as she moved she sensed she was lying on something. It didn't feel hard, like the ground, but it also didn't feel as uniformly flat as a bed either. Moving tentatively, she whimpered as her muscles felt sore and stiff. And as her eyes slowly opened, she heard a loud, whirring noise that she disliked intensely.

Looking through nearly closed eyes, she saw a person, pushing something back and forth across the ground. A woman...she thought it was a woman...a woman like she was...didn't look happy, as she finished what she had been doing, left, and then returned to sit on the table. Why she was sitting on the table was confusing, but it was only one thing in a long list of things that didn't seem to make sense.

Where was she. Why was she where she was? Who was the woman who now seemed to be staring at her. Questions spun around in her brain at such a rate, she finally just opened her eyes and sat up.

And winced. The pain wasn't too bad, but it was enough to confirm she was really awake. Her eyes were wide now, as she considered the woman...sitting on the table...and her eyes moved around the room, taking it all in. Leaning forward, she reached out a hand slowly towards the woman, and carefully touched a fingertip to the wetness on the woman's face. Her finger then went to her own mouth, and she tasted. It was not what she wanted...what she craved. This moisture tasted salty, not sweet. Her tongue pulled her bottom lip inside her mouth, and she started to open her lips.

"Oooohhhh..." She wailed softly as she flopped back against the cushion, and wrapped her arms around her middle, where a pain had again clenched at her insides. Her mouth opened, but nothing came out. She needed something, but didn't know what, or why, or how to get it, or how to impress her need upon the woman.

So,instead, she began crying herself. Soundlessly, her own tears began streaming down her face, and she went so far as to touch them with the same fingertips, before she turned and pushed her face into the cushions on which she had sat, and shuddered.
Ginnie 17 years ago
Ginnie watched with a sort of morbid fascination as Shay sat up and looked around the room. She remained still as her fingers touched the tears on her face, watched as Shay's face crumpled in child like disappointment. Shay flopped back onto the couch and made the most piteous noise. Ginnie knew what her child needed, but was fascinated by Shay's lack of ability to tell her. She wondered what the Change had done to her. Had it warped the woman's mind?

Sliding down from the table, she kneeled beside the couch and placed a gentle hand on Shay's shoulder and turned her over. She spoke with gentle tones, as she would to a small child.

"Some things happened and you are different than you were before. I will explain everything, but first you need to eat. Inside your mouth there are some long teeth in front, you need to use those to bite my wrist. Instinct will take over after that. But Shay, you have to trust me when I tell you to stop. If you don't stop when I tell you, you will hurt me. Do you understand?"

She looked into the eyes of her friend and sighed softly at the total lack of recognition in them. It broke her heart that she had done this to this woman.
Shay 17 years ago
The woman's touch to her shoulder felt comforting, so she turned over as she had been prodded to do. She listened intently as the woman explained something, and ran her tongue along the inside of her mouth to feel the teeth she spoke of.

She wasn't sure why it surprised her...finding she did have two very pointy teeth protruding from her upper gums, but it did and she again sat up. Sticking her two index fingers inside her mouth the confirmed what her tongue had already discovered. And then it came to her...the other thing the woman had said.

"Bite your wrist?" She said in a disgust filled whisper.

Bite her wrist? Bite her wrist why? Something told her it wasn't right to be biting people. It just didn't seem the thing to do. But even if she did bite the woman's wrist, what would instinct then make her do? And what would she have trouble stopping...?

"Hurt you? Well of course it will hurt you if I bite your wrist! So why would you tell me to do so in the first place?"

The voice that nearly shouted the words now, seemed foreign. It had to be her voice, because it was obviously coming from her mouth, but it just didn't sound right. That idea merely flitted through her thoughts in a blink, and was replaced with confusion, and revulsion again.

"No, I do not understand...anything...that is going on here. Where am I, and who are you, and why are you telling me to bite you?"

It was unfortunate that at that particular moment she was again pounded in the stomach with a tremendous pain that caused her to plummet forward and cry out.

"And why do I have this awful pain?!"
Ginnie 17 years ago
Ginnie sighed softly and caught Shay about the shoulders as she fell forward. Gently she pushed the woman up and looked her in the eyes.

"That pain is hunger, and you have to feed. If you don't do it on your own, I'll have to force you, and I don't want to do that. I don't want to hurt you anymore, Shay. You have to trust me. Let's make the pain go away and then I will answer as may questions as you wat to ask."

Ginnie thought that perhaps she was being mean, but Shay had to eat, regardless of her revulsions to the idea. What if she offered blood instead of just her wrist to bite? Maybe that would help. Ginnie reached down and drew a dagger from her boot, and layed it beside her on the table.

"Ok, if you don't want to bite me that's ok. I'm going to make a little cut in my wrist, and I want you to put a finger in the drop of blood that comes and put that in your mouth. Can you do that?"

Ginnie picked up the knife and put it to her left wrist, she made a shallow nick and bright red blood instantly pooled on her skin. She held that small pool toward Shay. If she didn't do it this way, she'd try something else. She really didn't want to have to hold Shay down and feed her.
Shay 17 years ago
Hunger. She was so hungry that it was causing her pain? That made some sense. But hungry for blood? That's where the woman lost her.

As the pain subsided she was struck with an involuntary shudder. At least without the gnawing sensation she was able to think somewhat clearly.

"And why do I trust you? Who ARE you?"

Watching the woman take the knife, that she had just taken from her boot, she was mesmerized as the sharp blade cut cleanly across the skin. If she hadn't been assailed with the smell of the blood, she might have been able to argue more. But the minute the blood started to appear, she felt the 'hunger' pain return, and her mouth literally watered.

This was so wrong, she thought, as she grabbed the woman's arm and brought the wound to her mouth.

The second the blood hit her tongue, she did instinctively bite down, as if the blood was a catalyst to something in her saliva. The taste was phenomenal, and she moaned as the warm liquid began to slide down her throat. She became totally oblivious to the fact that the blood was coming from the woman, and that she held the woman's arm in her hands. All she sensed was that she did need this and it was stopping the pain.

It was also making her feel incredible. As the blood entered her system it felt as if it was spreading out through her like a delicious warm heat. Not to mention she was beginning to feel slightly...turned on? Sex came to mind, but she was still just a bit too confused to understand the correlation. Yet as the pain dwindled even more, she found herself still not wanting to stop. The new sensations were wonderful, and she wanted more.
Ginnie 17 years ago
Ginnie cried out when Shay's teeth pierced her skin. The only times she'd been bitten were in the throes of passion and it didn't hurt then, this hurt like a son of a bitch. There was nothing pleasant about being fed upon like this, no pheromones to dampen the pain, no endorphins to confuse her brain into thinking it was pleasure. She could feel the blood leave her body with every pull Shay made. It was the most peculiarly painful sensation she'd ever felt and she hoped to God she ever had to feel this again.

She let Shay feed for a little while, feeling slightly warmed ad protective as little noises came from Shay's convulsing throat. Almost like she had when she'd nursed her first child. Her brain took her from this place to that one, with out her consent.

Nine hours of laboring against the child brought strong cries into the small too hot chamber. The mid-wife placed the squalling infant on her belly, and Ginnie began to cry along with him. She'd not wanted this child, but her husband had demanded it, but the joy of birth transcended all of that. The woman mae her give two more small pushes, then began to clean her with warm cloths. Ginnie paid no attention as the tiny body on her chest started to settle down, his squalls turning to whimpers. The chamber maid fussed with her pillows, but Ginnie's entire world had arrowed to this tiny thing. It was a boy child, and he was named for his father just as every other boy child that had been sired in the manor. Though the father's name they took did not belong to the man who's seed had created them.

The mid-wife finished her task as the babys cries became urgent again. "You need to give him your breast, m'lady." Ginnie moved aside the loose garment that had given her some privacy, and put the baby where he belonged. The little noises he made her sigh gently. Before long he was done and drifted off to sleep. She was just covering herself when Regonald entered the room. He sat gently upon the bed with her and stroked the still damp hair of his child. He leaned close to her and whispered gently that she should not feed the baby from her own breast any more, if she wanted what she had asked for, he wanted her body perfect. She cried herself to sleep for weeks as some other woman listened to the satisfied noises her baby made as he ate.

Those same noises brought her back out of her memories and she saw gray around the edges of her vision when she opened her eyes. She had to get Shay to let go, or things were going to go very badly, very quickly.

Pushing away from the couch she put a hand to Shay's shoulder.

"Shay! Shay! You have to stop now."

She pulled gently at her arm, but Shay tightened her grip. "You're going to hurt me Shay, you have to stop."

She tugged harder on her arm ad pushed Shay back at the same time, but her child fought, and Ginnie began to panic. With nothing else to do, she ripped her arm from Shay's grip with as much force as she could muster. Shay's teeth ripped the skin and muscle away, causing Ginnie to cry out in great pain.

She slid up onto the coffee table, and held the torn tissue against her bleeding arm, her breath ragged and her vision growing a little more gray around the edges. She needed help, but the bleeding had to stop first. When it did she would call Alec. That is if Shay didn't attack her, she feared that now, and it shamed her to feel afraid of the woman she'd called friend and the vampire she must call child.
Shay 17 years ago
Shay shay shay shay...why was the woman yelling that at her? She was doing what she had been told to do, and was thankful that it not only eradicated her pain but made her feel so good. She didn't want to stop. As long as the blood filled her she didn't need to think of anything else.

The woman was now sounding scared, and that caught her attention, but she still found it difficult to let go. Just a little more and she would stop...just a little more.

But the woman finally wrenched the arm away from her, and she was left with a mouth full of skin and tissue, and the thought that she had done something horrid. She stared at the woman transfixed, as it became clear that she was responsible for injuring the woman. The cries the woman made only made her feel worse, as she mentally scrambled to figure out what to do now. The euphoria her body had begun to take on was now dissipating, as it became evident she would need to help the woman.

Leaning forward, and scooting to the edge of the couch, she pulled off the thin cotton shirt she wore, over her head, and tried to press it to the wound she had created. The woman had a firm hold of the arm, and it was difficult to wedge the material in between, but she kept it up until she hoped the woman understood that it would be better to wrap the arm tightly, to help stop the bleeding.

Standing up, and promptly sitting back down again, she thought there must be something else she could do to try and repair the damage done. She knew if something happened to this woman...well she didn't let herself think beyond that point. Just the idea started a spark of panic that she knew would undoubtedly blossom into sheer hysteria if she didn't stop it.

Standing up again, and this time not feeling as weak, she moved around the table, her eyes taking in everything around her. She really didn't know what she was looking for, but hoped she would know it when she saw it.

Moving about the rooms quickly she felt herself getting woozy again, and returned to the couch. Sitting down directly in front of the woman, she looked at her with sympathy.

"I...I don't know what to do for you. We need to get you help though..."
Ginnie 17 years ago
Ginnie flinched when Shay moved, but that quickly became gaping as Shay took off her shirt and tried to wedge it between her hand and wrist. Finally getting the drift of what she wanted she took the shirt and pressed it to the barely seeping wound. She had lost a lot of blood, so her healing was slow. Her confusion grew as Shay stood up and wandered around her home, apparently looking for something.

Finally, Shay returned to her seat and Ginnie had to smile at Shay's concern.

"I'm fine really. Look." She pulled the sticky shirt from her wrist to reveal a healing wound. It was still a terrible sight, but the bleeding had finally stopped and her flesh had begun to knit itself back together. It looked days old instead of minutes, and in an hour it would look like an old scar, and in an hour after that there would be no trace what so ever. But if she wanted that to happen, she needed to replenish what Shay had taken.

"And I'll be all better very soon. I just need to eat, like you did. Only I'll get my food from someone not like us, or I'll use some that I have stored."

Ginnie stood, putting her knife away as she moved. She took the shirt into the kitchen and put it in the bin of incineratable trash. She moved back into the living room and smiled gently at Shay.

"Now, let's get you another shirt. Or would you like to take a shower first?"

Ginnie stood watching the half naked woman. She really had no idea what to do now and really needed Alec, but she wanted to get Shay settled down first. Then one of Shay's questions moved to the front of her mind.

"Oh, I'm Ginnie, and you are Shay and we have a lot of talking to do, but you should be dressed first. Thank you for giving me you shirt, that was kind."
Shay 17 years ago
Confusion seemed to be the theme for the day, as Shay inspected the woman's arm. It made no sense that it was healing so fast, and all she could do was stare at the woman in fascinated wonder.

"How...?" She was nearly speechless in her befuddlement, but because it seemed to be a normal sentiment at this space in time, she didn't let herself dwell on it too long.

That was until the woman started talking about eating again. It was assumed the 'food' she spoke of was blood, and still not accustomed to that notion, a shudder of disgust hit her again.

Looking down at herself, she noticed she was only wearing a little bra and jeans, but realized she wasn't cold at all. It occurred to her that it was probably necessary to put on another top, but the idea of a shower sounded much better. Standing up again, half forgetting all about the woman's injuries, she moved away from the couch, and reached behind to undo her bra.

"A shower please." She smiled, and nodded when the woman introduced herself. Slipping off her bra, and taking the straps in her other hand, she reached to the woman with her free right hand.

"It seems funny to be saying this...but nice to meet you Ginnie. And I'm Shay?" That explained why Ginnie had been yelling that word earlier. Unfortunately it didn't seem at all 'her'...any more than if her name had been Roberta, or Jacqueline. "Shay...Shay..." Shaking her head, she just let the worry there pass. If this woman...Ginnie...said that was her name, she had no reason to doubt it. She just wished she 'felt' it.

Waiting to be directed to the shower, she unbuttoned her jeans, and began unzipping them.

"The shower is...?"
Ginnie 17 years ago
'Ok I can do this.' The change seemed to have made Shay a clean state. She only knew one other person with that condition and that made her need to call Alec that much more urgent. She wanted to giggle as Shay undressed where she stood. She did not think she had been that type before and so found it comical now.

"It's through here."

Ginnie walked into her bedroom and pointed at the bathroom door. "There are towels in the top cabinet."

Ginnie watched Shay walk into the bathroom and shut the door. Chuckling softly, she moved to her closet and looked at her clothes. Shay was shorter than she, and a bit wider in the hip, but still small. Ginnie picked a pair of jeans that were a little big for her, a sweater, and a pair of panties from the small pile in her closet. They were new and still had the tag. She pulled out a camisole as well, not knowing if Shay would want to put on her own bra or would rather something clean. She put everything on the bed, and left the room, closing the door behind her.

In the living room, Ginnie sat on the couch and put her head in her hands. She had so many things to do now, but all she wanted to do was call Alec and weep on him when he arrived. With a sigh she pulled her phone out of her pocket and pushed the button that called Alec. It rang once. She didn't give him time to say anything.

"Alec. I need you here. Now. Something has happened and I can't do this by myself. Is this line secure...of course it's not were both on cells. Ok I need you here. It's an emergency, well ok not an emergency but it's important and I can't do it alone. Where are you? No that doesn't matter. I need you to stop by the blue benz that's parked by my car and take everything out of it. Everything. Also there is a picnic basket in my car that needs to come up here too. When can you get here?"

Desperation had started to creep into her voice and she'd stood up at some point and started to pace. She listened to Alec for a moment, not at all reassured by his reassurances, said her good bye and shoved the phone back into her pocket. The shower ran in the other room, and she made her way to the computer. She powered up the unit and waited for it's prompt.

"I need the file for Mathias' familiar, nick name Shay."

"Further parameters needed."

"Female, twenty's, blonde, five-seven, about one-twenty. Full name unknown, goes by Shay. Registered as familiar to Mathias Alexandrei, Tacharan vampire."

"Confirmed. File for Shalimar O'Mannon is being sent to your personal printer."

"Thank you. Find the location of Mathias Alexandrei."

"Location unknown."

"Last known?"

"The Domicile."

"Date?"

"Unknown."

Ginnie sighed. There was no use arguing with the thing. If it didn't know, it didn't know, or she didn't have clearance to know.

"Contact numbers."

The computer rattled off several numbers. Once more Ginnie sighed. "Send them to my phone."

In her pocket the mentioned phone vibrated as it received the text message.

"Send an email to Simon and Carol. It should read: "I have made a child. The repercussions could be numerous. I need to meet with either of you soon. Contact me via cell phone at 555-9034. Ginnie."

Yeah, that was great, scare and anger them up front. Sighing she shut down the computer and returned to her perch on the couch, to await Shay, Alec and the world falling in on her head.
Alec Devereaux 17 years ago
Hanging upside down, dangling from a climbing rig anchored to a harness, Alec reached toward the glass case. The contact sensors had been disabled, but the sonics and lasers were all still intact. Still, he was at an optimal position to make the breach, and with only one system to reset it'd be even more of a mystery to leave behind.

Opening the case, he removed the tiny figurine that had been on display, replacing it with one of the gallery's own "Removed for Cleaning - We Apologize for the Inconvenience" signs. Sealing it in its foam case, he smiled. Like taking candy from a...

His phone rang. The sonic detectors began to scream.

'Reminder to self - no phone on the real run.' Pulling out his remote, he flipped off the alarm system. Pulling out the Playmobil figurine he'd just lifted from the very authentic display case, he dropped it onto the glass to get at his phone.

"H-"

Ginnie;35183
"Alec. I need you here. Now. Something has happened and I can't do this by myself. Is this line secure...of course it's not were both on cells. Ok I need you here. It's an emergency, well ok not an emergency but it's important and I can't do it alone. Where are you? No that doesn't matter. I need you to stop by the blue benz that's parked by my car and take everything out of it. Everything. Also there is a picnic basket in my car that needs to come up here too. When can you get here?"

Emergency. Ellis must be back. No...wait...not an emergency, something bad. Hm, flustered, not quite panic. Desperation? Texts say to be soothing and reassuring. Revise situation status - Something Bad (Very). Clean evidence from Mercedes in Domicile. Picnic basket? Already here. Wait, say it aloud.

"I'm already here - in the Domicile practicing for a run I've always wanted to make. Car first, home second. I'm 3 minutes from the garage, 6 to fully empty the car unless it is a real mess, 4 back home. I am certain that everything will be fine. See you in 15, picnic basket in hand."

He'd given a little extra time, but just the same he wanted to be early on this one. Dropping from his ropes, he left the practice room open and at a full run to the garage, only stopping to grab a full cover suit. Sliding it on as he got into the garage, he shook his head when someone asked him if he needed anything. Grabbing his tools, he popped the door and looked inside. It wasn't bad - there was a lot of fiber to take into account though. Into one bag went the contents of the glove compartment, visor holder, cup holders and loose material under the seats. And a dog kennel? Okay.

Securing static sheets over the seats, he removed the bolts and slid them from the vehicle. Pulling up the floor covering, he bagged them separately. Heading to the trunk, he removed the spare, the jack and the toolkit. Glancing at the odd collection, he hit a button on his phone.

"Mendez. Yes...oh, yeah, that was great work on that optical piggyback. Worked like a charm. Yup - business. Can I get a full sanitation on the car in garage 3? Heh. Blue one with the seats out in static bags. No blood - just prints and hair, need a full clean, inside and out. Floor mats and tools as well. Change the plates, but save them for me just in case. Thanks man - I'll bring you a souvenir next time."

Glancing at the wall clock he'd lost a minute, but gained one running. He'd probably pick up a little on the way to the door - the bags were unwieldy, but not that heavy. Stripping off the cover suit, he grabbed the bags after slipping on his leather gloves and headed quickly down the corridor to his room. Glancing down, he smiled. At least he was dressed for "work" and well armed in case something big was happening. Popping his security accesses, he entered.

"What's the situation?"
Shay 17 years ago
As she entered the bathroom, the woman...Ginnie...closed the door behind her. She shrugged and stepped out of her shoes, socks, jeans, and panties, which she left pooled on the floor.

Stepping into the shower, Shay turned the nozzle towards the wall, and then turned on the water, which she adjusted to a very warm spray. Turning the nozzle back down to send the water beating against the back of her neck, Shay moved backwards until the water covered her head and face, running rivulets down her body. Without moving further, she just stood and let the pounding heat permeate her muscles. It bothered her a little that she had no conscious reason for her soreness, but the water felt so good that in seconds she no longer thought about it.

Finding bottles of shampoo, conditioner...soap...all the things she knew she would use to bathe, Shay did so. She took her time though, refusing to be rushed. Not only did she look at the parts of her body...those she could see...as she washed, she paid close attention to the way her hands felt as they moved along her body. It felt both right, and strange at the same time, and the feelings of confusion came back. Part of her seemed to be standing off on the sidelines watching, as if it were someone else in that shower bathing. That was the part that made things seem off kilter. Luckily there was a part of her that recognized the actions her hands were taking, and she guessed that was the 'old' part of her that somehow managed to remain inside.

Once she had covered her body with soaps and rinsed, Shay remained under the water as if her 'on' button had been switched to 'off'. She wasn't sure how long she had been like that, but something must have clicked the 'on' button again as she blinked and felt the once hot water had now turned tepid.

Turning the handles until the water shut off, Shay twisted her hair until most of the water had been squeezed out, and then stepped from the shower onto the bathroom floor. Walking gingerly towards the cabinet Ginnie had pointed out earlier, she took down one towel that she wrapped around her head, and then another which she began using to dry her body. Once she no longer felt the cool chill of the air on wet skin, she dropped the towel onto the floor and went back into the bedroom.

There were clothes spread out on the bed, which Shay examined. Ignoring the underwear, Shay stepped into the jeans, then zipped them up. Removing the towel from her head, the sweater was then pulled over her long damp hair, which she then pulled out through the neck, and tossed behind her. The towel she drug back into the bathroom, where he ran her fingers through her hair, trying to get as many tangles out as she could. She saw no comb or brush on the counter, and didn't want to really use a stranger's things anyway. Clothing was one thing, but somewhere in the back of her mind she had the impression it wasn't proper to use other people's hairbrushes.

Shrugging off the silly thought, Shay returned to the bedroom, and opened the door leading out.

"Uh ... thanks for the use of the clothes. Now what?"

Now what? She hadn't meant to say that out loud...but...now what?

Her question was interupted then, by the sudden appearance of a man.
Carol 17 years ago
'God damnit.'

Carol dipped her fingers into her pot plants and sighed. They were still borderline drying out, even with the humidor she installed in her secret closet. She didn't want south america growing in her closet, but these were her babies. She cooed, talking to her pot plants as her PDA lit up and started to play the theme to 'Mission Impossible' behind her.

Scooting back to her dressing table where she had left her fun blinged out device, she picked up the rhinestone contraption and checked the email just as it began to ring, signaling an incoming call, this time the theme from Star Wars played - it was Simon. She wasn't sure why she had picked Star Wars for him, it just always cracked her up.

Carol put the phone to her ear and listened.
'I know. Just did. You call Dayle? K I will. No, I love you more. No, *I* love you more. NO...oh stop it already...yes. No. YES! Ok. Buh bye.'

She looked back at her pda phone and forwarded the email to Dayle and stood up. Kicking the closet door closed, she walked into her office and plopped down on the seat. Using her desk intercom, she dialed Ginnie's cell number.
Ginnie 17 years ago
Shay finished, entered the room and asked a question. Ginnie opened her mouth to answer when Alec came through the door. 'Oh thank God.' But she had hoped Alec would arrive before Shay, but that couldn't be helped. She smiled at Shay.

"What we do now is explain things to this nice man. This is Alec. He's here to help us." She turned to Alec and wanted desperately to fall into his arms weeping. "Ok short version. I was out hunting at the nature preserve, and I came across someone on the ground near death. It turned out to be Shay. She was too far gone to save so I Turned her. I've put in an email to Simon and Carol, but beyond that and you. I'm at a loss. It seems the Change has erased her memory Alec."

She knew she would need to go into more detail, but it would do for now. She crossed to him now and slid her body against his, her arms snaking around his waist, head on his shoulder, with her face buried in his neck. She whispered softly,"I'm scared to death,love. What am I going to do," before pulling away and waiting for his reaction, when her phone sang "I want Candy", from her pocket. "Shit."

She pulled the phone from her pocket and answered.

"This is Ginnie."
Carol 17 years ago
'You've been busy!'

Carol leaned back in her chair and smiled. Turnings had been few and far between as of late, especially with Ellis gone, therefore recruiting had come to a halt, so to speak. Not that she ever did any of the turning, that was Simon's job, but still. It had been quiet for so long, they were in need of some drama!

'So who's the lucky person? Can I meet? Is he hot? Does he have a brother?'
Ginnie 17 years ago
Carol was in her usual good spirits, which helped a little. "I wish things were so easy, Carol. You've met her. I um...I had to turn Shay, Mathias' familiar. She was near death and I had no other course of action. The thing is, well she's lost her memory. As to a brother, according to her dossier she has at least one."

Ginnie steeled herself for whatever would follow. She had no idea what would happen now and she was incredibly frightened of what was to come. Her heart rate had sped up and she was having a difficult time keeping her voice and breath calm.

"Um, what do I do now?"

She felt like a kid who had burned a tray of cookies and didn't know what to do about it. This was her first and hopefully last child and she had never made herself familiar with the protocol for the eventuality.
Carol 17 years ago
Carol had been grinning ear to ear, leaning back in her chair as Ginnie began to speak although that was short lived. She fell back and out of her chair as she sat upright, knocking her balance off.

'You did what? You turned who? She's what?' Straightening her chair, Carol sat back down and began to check her computer. Mathis had disappeared with a short note to Simon, but was off...somewhere. Carol checked the Domicile to see who was present and sure enough, Ginnie had indeed brought Shay into the Domicile, their entry times reflected that. Ginnie had turned another member's familiar...well, technically she was a familiar. Shay was just more of a girlfriend. Still. Ugh. Now the turning had affected her, probably doing wonders to whatever bond she might've had with Mathis. Great.

'Listen, stay there. I'll be down in a minute.' Hanging up she picked up her pda cell and called Simon, relaying the situation. She winced and pulled the phone away from her ear when he uncharacteristically yelled. Hanging up, Carol stood, took a deep breath and left for Ginnie's quarters.
Dayle 17 years ago
Dayle was unsure when exactly she had started using various songs and music to signify when she received phone calls or special messages - be they instant, text, or email - from some of her new Clanmates. Perhaps it was when Carol had told her that when she received messages from Dayle, her song of choice was 'God Save the Queen.' At first, she'd thought it quite odd, but realized that, when accepting phone calls on the run, a personalized ringer made it easier to identify the caller without having to look at the phone.

So when the PDA on her desk bleeped and suddenly played the 'Milkshake' song - suggested by Alec, though she didn't understand its lyrics and felt too embarassed to ask their meaning - she fairly jumped out of her skin as she acknowledged it.

Ginnie

Forwarded Email. Text as Follows, from Carol Hedley:

I have made a child. The repercussions could be numerous. I need to meet with either of you soon. Contact me via cell phone at 555-9034. Ginnie.

'Bollocks,' Dayle muttered under her breath, followed by a 'bloody hell!' as a stream of information bleeped her PDA again, informing her that familiar records for Shalimar O'Mannon had been accessed by Ginnie.

Tucking her PDA into its protective sleeve, she immediately locked her PC and headed out to the elevator. When the car stopped at her office's floor, she stepped in to see a rather stoic Carol.

"Fancy meeting you here, Carol." She hoped the wry tone in her voice was perceived as sarcasm, but she was fully prepared to be punched in the shoulder - or whatever it was these Americans did to relieve frustration.
Alec Devereaux 17 years ago
Initially confused by the tone that Ginnie was using with Shay, Alec paused, hearing the tale. Staring straight ahead, he repeated to himself as a mantra 'stay cool, don't throw up, stay cool, don't throw up, stay cool, don't throw up'. Smiling somewhat robotically, he managed to not shout anything, or bang his head against the wall or use the very high caliber handgun in its back holster to shoot himself in the stomach to make sure he was indeed just dreaming. Then the real bomb dropped. She couldn't remember anything.

Suddenly, the Thief kicked into gear. It would be fine.

"Well...I wish you had waited a bit longer to call them, but maybe we can work around that. The prohibition is on feeding or causing harm to another's familiar. You were doing the exact opposite given that she faced destruction so that can be avoided with a technicality."

He didn't need to say it, his eyes screamed it - "I hope."

"Ellis isn't in charge any more, and so the old rules of iron are a bit more malleable. Simon's view on familiars is obviously very different from hers, but they've not been codified yet. Since you were protecting Tacharan property, he will likely be lenient with you. But we'll want to hit the location and see if any trace evidence was left behind. If so, we might be able to nail the fucker who put the bite on her."

And just like that, the Thief was gone. Feeling vaguely like he had loose bowels, Alec swallowed hard. Stepping to the refrigerator, he pulled out a chilled bottle of water, thought again, and pulled out three. When Ginnie's phone rang he managed not to jump, but he probably would have wet himself if he'd already had the water. Recognizing the ring tone, Alec paused, and looked at Ginnie. He wanted to take Shay from the room, but he wanted to eavesdrop even more.

Taking a long, cold draught of water, he smiled darkly at the blank slate. He knew those eyes. He'd seen them in the mirror, but he'd seen them on Shay. It was...strange. Did all of the orphans with broken minds start with the same cutting stare? Walking slowly, casually toward her, he held out the water bottle. Staring unblinkingly into her eyes, looking through his own black reflection, he spoke.

"You've been given a fresh start, young one. Some truths will follow you. Others...are more...flexible. You died. In coming back, you left something behind. Other things you can choose to leave behind. Your past is obsolete. You can be anyone. Anything."

Alec didn't know where the words were coming from - it was like an echo through his mind that vibrated speech from his throat. The voice, his voice...was all wrong for this. It should have been a woman's voice. Disregarding the strangeness of the tangential thought, he prepared to continue. Allowing a moment for the words to sink in, for their significance to take hold, he asked

"So. What is your name, child of Alana, grandchild of Regonald?"
Ginnie 17 years ago
"Ok."

The phone went dead in her hand and she shoved it back into her pocket. "Carol's on her way. Alec will you put all of that stuff in my bedroom? I need to get something to eat and pour a shot before she gets here."

She didn't wait for his answer nor did she hear the things he had said to Shay. Her mind was stuck in a panic loop and she had no way out. Ginnie went into the kitchen and pulled the last bag of blood from the fridge drawer. She pierced it with her fangs and drank the blood cold, something she hated, but the need and situation pushed away her preferences for speed. She drained the bag quickly, and tossed it into the incineration bin. Pulling a glass and a bottle of amber liquid from their places, she poured herself a large measure, and took her first sip of whisky when the computer chimed it's proximity alarm followed shortly by her door bell.