Delivery (attn. Rupert)

18 wheels of steel slowly rolled to a standstill outisde the gates of Heolfor Manor. The owner of the silver and blue rig opened the driver's side door and stepped down.

Not that he had far to go. He was a giant of a man. 6ft 6in in height and a build like a professional heavyweight boxer.

The small blinking red light of the security camera that stared impassively at him didn't phase him in the least.

He'd made the run on time. And with five minutes to spare. It was chillly this morning and the big man rubbed his hands together as he stolled over to the intercom box.

He pressed one of the buttons.

"Morning. I got a special delivery here for Rupert."

Butler 17 years ago
Rupert was fastidiously drying his hands in the men’s room when the call came through the intercom, and he carefully hung up the towel before replying. He made it to the desk in short order and checked the monitors, expecting to greet Mr. Jones and open the gate.

Only that wasn’t Mr. Jones.

Deciding this felt flaky, he shoed away the young lady who had answered this stranger’s initial call and picked up the receiver himself.

“This is Rupert Burke speaking. If you would be so kind as to tell me who sent you?”

There was no reason for rudeness or hostility at this juncture – so far it was a simple change of plans, though a suspicious one at best. Why hadn’t Sarah called? Gesturing to bring the young woman pack, he kept one ear on the intercom while writing on a pad of paper and indicating with a sharp point that she should take it.
Ezekiel 17 years ago
"Morning to ya, Mr. Burke."

Ezekiel grinned at the security camera and then turned his attention back to the intercom.

"Name's Ezekiel Caine. Sarah sent me at short notice. Seems Mr. Jones had himself a sort of accident."

And trying to pick up a police officer working undercover as a prostitute was an 'accident' of some sort.

"I got a full trailer out here and I wouldn't mind getting it cleaned out sometime this morning, Mr. Burke."
Butler 17 years ago
“Indeed.”

Mr. Caine seemed amiable enough and Rupert thought the trace of impatience he detected was within the bounds of normality considering the chill outside and the early hour. Still, he was wary of this change in plans, especially considering this delivery took place during daylight hours when the residents within were the most vulnerable.

He spoke in his very best ‘don’t mess with the butler’ tones.

“Did Sarah tell you anything else, Mr. Caine?”

Even that was probably leading a little more than he should but if he was too cloak and dagger they would simply never get anything accomplished. He was looking for the password and if Mr. Caine knew that his question would be obvious.
Ezekiel 17 years ago
"Sarah? Yeah a few things." Ezekiel nodded.

"
Ah, oh right. You mean."

He leaned closer to the intercom and cupped his hands around his mouth.

"Yeah Secret Squirrel stuff. Aces and Eights I think it was."

Ezekiel grinned, this was far too cheesy for his liking but if was how the rich did business who was he to question their ways.
Butler 17 years ago
Rupert paused for a moment, trying to decide whether or not he thought Mr. Caine was a smartass. Such judgments were useful for his mental filing, though it was just as likely he would never see this man again. After a short time, though, he pressed the button to release the gate.

“Very well.”

Mr. Caine knew the password and while it was possible he got it through some truly nasty means, he thought the odds were slim enough to chance. Nothing else was triggering alarm bells, though he would of course keep his eyes open.

While the rig pulled in, Rupert headed out to the front steps.
Ezekiel 17 years ago
Ezekiel pulled the rig around to the front entrance of the manor. The place looked expensive and upper crust. No wonder Auntie Mae had paid him a tidy sum to bring the tailer here.

Ezekiel picked up the inventory list and exited the cab.

The guy in the fancy suit smelt clean, pristine clean. He dressed like a butler and that meant.

"Hey, Mr. Burke?" Ezekiel asked as he made his way to the front steps with the inventory list.

Ezekiel extended a large, calloused right hand to the approaching figure.
Butler 17 years ago
Rupert accepted the offered handshake with the sincere hope that he would be getting his hand back. While he didn’t think this gentleman was quite Talon’s size and wouldn’t come close to matching the enormous vampire’s strength, he wasn’t exactly small potatoes either.

“A pleasure, Mr. Caine,” he said. Looking toward what he hoped was the inventory list in Mr. Caine’s other hand, he raised his eyebrows and inquired: “May I?”

He pulled out his own list to compare and ensure everything was in order as a few more manor staff stepped out, one with a dolly to lift anything difficult.
Ezekiel 17 years ago
Ezekiel shook Rupert's hand, careful not to jerk the butler off his feet. That wouldn't do at all.

He let go and handed over the clipboard with the inventory sheet attached to it.

"There you go Mr. Burke. I gotta get your signature on it once all the boxes and crates are removed and accounted for."

Ezekiel cast a cursory glance at the other fancy pants that came out of the Manor, one of them carrying a dolly. None of them looked like working class folks.

"Ah, no offense Mr. Burke. But you reckon you could use another pair of lifting hands. Some of the stuff in the trailer ain't exactly light."
Butler 17 years ago
Rupert replied dryly as he scanned the list, though in truth his initial annoyance with Mr. Caine’s manner of speaking was slowly fading. It was hard to dislike a man who just wanted to get a job done.

“None taken.” He mulled over the implicit offer. They could use this man’s help and all be done faster. He wouldn’t, of course, allow him past the front door, but they could unload assembly style and at least get the items off the rig efficiently. Their arrangement only included delivery but Rupert was not at all opposed to paying for additional service. “Thank you – there would be something in it for you if you would kindly assist.” He added, after looking back at his staff, “We will manage getting everything inside but it would be most helpful to get everything out and onto the lawn.”

With that, he stepped back, holding onto the invoice with one hand and a pen in the other, and explained the plan to the staff. He would check off inventory as they called things out. Mr. Caine and some of his could take the truck while others could begin carrying things inside once they were checked off the list.

/ooc feel free to set the machine in motion (or tweak it to fit)
Ezekiel 17 years ago
"Fix me up a plate for breakfast and some coffee and you got yourself a deal, Mr. Burke."

Ezekiel leapt inside the trailer before Rupert could reply and literally pulled up off the ground one of the Manor staff who put out his hand to climb aboard.

"Let's go, Bub. Between you and me this won't take long at all."

A couple of hours later and the various sized crates and boxes were neatly stacked outside on the lawn.

Ezekiel grinned broadly at the exhausted Manor staff man who had worked with him inside the trailer. The poor man was soaked in sweat and fit to collapse.

"You done good, Bub."

Ezkiel helped the Manor staff member down out of the trailer and then jumped to the ground himself without hesitation.

"All done Mr. Burke. Your fellow here might need a couple of hours rest. He done good though."

Ezekiel stretched his massive arms and slowly rolled his neck to left and right.

"Me. I could easily eat a horse."

And Ezekiel's acute smell could pick out the scent of stabled horseflesh somewhere around the Manor.

Of course if he ran off and tore into the first horse he saw, Mr. Burke wasn't likely to consider that a proper form of payment at all.
Butler 17 years ago
The inventory check went fairly quickly and Rupert managed to match everything up before everything was even fully unloaded. He had put in a quick call to the head chef (who was not, incidentally, used to being woken at this hour), privately ‘getting a kick’ out of Caine’s request. While the Anantya household did indulge in the finest foods, ‘dinner party’ or ‘breakfast buffet’ took on entirely different meanings in the context of vampires. It was refreshing to simply send for a meal – almost as though he were a normal butler.

When he went to check on the food, he observed with a trace of amusement that the chef had been rather….enthusiastic…in spite of his early morning grumbling. He came out of the manor with a picnic basket filled to nearly overflowing with carefully contained and compartmentalized breakfast meats, rolls, a mix of berries, crepes, egg casserole, a hot thermos of coffee, a cold one for what Rupert thought must be orange juice, not to mention a host of little details. Tiny jars of jelly in varying flavors and pats of butter. Napkins and moist towelettes. Rupert added a reasonable tip to an envelope taped to the cover and thought Mr. Caine had come out of this fairly well.

Amused at hearing Charles referred to as ‘Bub,’ he gave the staffer a nod and just a hint of smile before turning to Mr. Caine.

“Yes, I imagine he could.” Coming as close as he ever did to making a joke, Rupert gestured to the table and inquired in ironic tones. “A horse it is not – but I do hope this will serve.” He thought the basket might serve a family or two but then how often did a trucker get a decent meal? Perhaps they were a little over the top but it was daylight – why not? He nodded to the staffer whom he had already privately renamed ‘Bub’, indicating he could go. Bub gave Mr. Caine a grin and a sloppy wave before heading to the front door, where, Rupert was pleased to see, he stopped to pick up a box before disappearing into the Manor.

The true reward, though, wasn’t the food or the tip. It was the phone call he would make to Sarah telling her what excellent service Mr. Caine had rendered.
Alex West 17 years ago
Ezekiel hadn't reckoned on Rupert being so generous. He'd only asked for food and coffee, but the picnic basket that arrived was overflowing with all sorts of foods, and not one Thermos, but two.

"You're a good man, Mr. Burke." Ezekiel slapped the head butler on the back in a friendly way.

Ezekiel closed up the trailer, and picked up the basket when he spotted an envelope attached to it. He wasn't expecting this.

Inside was an envelope stuffed with bills. Ordinarily Ezekiel wouldn't turn down money, but he'd asked for food and drink, not extra money.

"Mr. Burke, you shouldn't have. I'm getting paid enough for this run."

Ezekiel shoved the envelope towards Rupert.

"Treat Bub and his friends to some drinks or something, or slip a little extra in their pay packets. Them fella's worked hard this morning."

Ezekiel pulled out what appeared to be a small silver case, and flicked it open. Inside were some plain business cards with the finely printed legend "Eziekiel Caine - He Gets the Job Done. Contractor and Long Hauler." Beneath were New Jersey contact numbers as well as his cellphone number. Ezekiel handed a card to Rupert.

"The New Jersey numbers are out of date. I've relocated to Nachton, I got family down here. You need any help or hear of any work out there, I'd appreciate it if you give me a ring on the cellphone. Aside from driving, I'm a mean heavy vehicle mechanic, I've done the barman thing, and I've worked a few doors in my time as as security. And if you wanna grab a beer sometime, that's fine by me. Could use a local to show me around."
Ezekiel 17 years ago
Ezekiel hadn't reckoned on Rupert being so generous. He'd only asked for food and coffee, but the picnic basket that the Head Butler pointed to was overflowing with all sorts of foods, and not one Thermos, but two.

"You're a good man, Mr. Burke." Ezekiel slapped the head butler on the back in a friendly way.

Ezekiel closed up the trailer, and picked up the basket when he spotted an envelope attached to it. He wasn't expecting this.

Inside, the envelope was stuffed with bills. Ordinarily Ezekiel wouldn't turn down money, but he'd asked for food and drink, not extra pay.

"Mr. Burke, you shouldn't have. I'm getting paid enough for this run."

Ezekiel shoved the envelope towards Rupert.

"Treat Bub and his friends to some drinks or something, or slip a little extra in their pay packets. Them fella's worked hard this morning."

Ezekiel pulled out what appeared to be a small silver case, and flicked it open. Inside were some plain business cards with the finely printed legend "Eziekiel Caine - He Gets the Job Done. Contractor and Long Hauler." Beneath were New Jersey contact numbers as well as his cellphone number. Ezekiel handed a card to Rupert.

"The New Jersey numbers are out of date. I've relocated to Nachton, permanent like. I got family down here. You need any help or hear of any work out there, I'd appreciate it if you give me a ring on the cellphone. Aside from driving, I'm a mean heavy vehicle mechanic, I've done the barman thing, and I've worked a few doors in my time as as security."

Ezekiel smiled broadly.

"And if you wanna grab a beer sometime, that's fine by me. Sure could use a local to show me around this purty little place of Nachton."
Butler 17 years ago
Rupert was not about to get into a ‘polite contest’ and decided to take Mr. Caine at face value as he accepted the envelope.

“I shall see to that then. Thank you again.”

Taking one of the business cards, he pocketed it to put in his files later. One never knew when he might call again but he didn’t doubt there would be opportunities for a man looking to make an honest living.

One could fall into the most interesting jobs in this city.

He discovered, to his own surprise, that he was pleased to receive the open invitation for a drink. Rupert was not one to make new friends easily but Mr. Caine seemed genuine enough and a beer and a chat (or a scotch and a story, depending) might be just the thing after a particularly insane evening in this house. He returned the smile and offered his hand in a parting shake.

“I only have beers with people who call me Rupert,” he said, just to be friendly and convey that he was not, despite appearances, ‘all business’.

“Safe returns.”

/ooc Rupert out
Ezekiel 17 years ago
Ezekiel shook Rupert's hand. "Right you are Rupert. Be seeing ya around. And don't forget about that offer of a friendly drink. Man in your position needs a little time to chill out now and again."

Ezekiel carefully took the Picnic Basket and climbed up into the cab. He'd drop the trailer off at the yard, hand in the inventory papers to the dispatcher and head off to enjoy a hearty breakfast.

The 485hp diesel engine roared to life and the Lambchop Express carefully made its way towards the open gates. Ezekiel caught the sight of Rupert standing on the steps in his side mirror and with a grin tugged on the cord to the air horn. Three short blasts shattered the morning quiet.

Ezekiel grinned as he pulled out onto the road. Today looked like it was going to be a good day after all.

(ooc - Ezekiel out)