Double Nickel

The "Lambchop Express"Â? tore through the night, eating up mile after mile of rain soaked highway. The pounding rain and howling winds did not deter the metal beat in the least. And the giant of a driver sitting behind the wheel was just as indifferent to the dark rumblings and flashes of lightning in the dark sky.

"This here is Ezekiel Caine in the Lambchop Express. I got a full tank of motion lotion and a belly full of a tin shed's finest. And for all you good neighbours listening out there, let me tell you - the big road south from the Apple ain't pretty tonight. The full blown bears and diesel cops may be hankering down tonight but my advice is not to power up and keep your damn eyes on the double nickel. Better to make it to the yard in one piece, than being picked up in a meat wagon. Hell better to pick up a lot lizard in the back row of a pickle park on a shitty night like this.

"Me. I'm headed from to a little place called Nachton. Bobtailing tonight. Now don't you go entertaining thoughts that Mr. Caine here is finally handing in his bingo cards. No-sir-ree. I got me some family business to take care of. So if you don't hear from me on channel 19 for a while, it's cause I done good, done bad, or done stupid - and not necessarily in that order. This is Ezekiel Caine in the Lambchop Express. I'm movin' on good neighbours. Over and out."Â?

Ezekiel stuffed another line of jerky in his mouth and chewed on it like a wad of spitting tobacco. The rotue to Nachton was simple enough, the map and information brochure he'd picked up from the Truck Stop made it seem like a pretty little place to visit.

But Ezekiel planned on staying. Shannon said the Pack was there, and her instructions were clear. Make friendly like and get to know your family. He missed that infectious smile of hers and faint smell of jasmine that come off that lithe little body when she got close to him. Shannon was right. Shannon was always right.

Ezekiel swallowed down the jerky and reached for the large bottle of spring water. He'd hit Nachton by dawn. He downed a quarter of the bottle in one massive gulp.

He'd make himself presentable like and head on out to meet the family.

Hopefully things would go peaceable like.

Hopefully.

Ezekiel 17 years ago
“Breaker 19. This here is a callout for bubba Ezekiel Caine from Auntie Mae. You there, big bubba Caine - right?”

Ezekiel picked up the receiver.

“Ten-four Auntie Mae. This is Ezekiel Caine in the Lambchop Express. What can I do you for my pretty travel agent on a night like this, right?”

“Bruce Jones got picked up by lot lizard who turned out to be a city kitty in disguise. Cooling his heels in the bear den. I need you for a dry box mission bubba Caine, urgent like - right.”

Ezekiel cursed softly. He really didn’t want to go out of his way tonight, but he didn’t want to say no to Auntie Mae. There was likely to be good money to be had on a short notice run like this.

“Ten-four Auntie Mae. What’s the ten-twenty, right?”

Auntie Mae sounded relieved as she answered.

“A pickle park near yardstick 59. Can’t miss it. Need you to dry box to Nachton, over. 2k line your pockets fine bubba Caine, right?”

Figures, Ezekiel thought to himself. Auntie Mae would start at the lowest figure first. Two thousand dollars for a couple of hours work meant the cargo was expensive, illegal or probably both. Bruce Jones was lucky the cop was vice.

“Do again, Auntie Mae. You say 4k, over?”

“4k my sweet ass, bubba Caine! 2.5k you German bastard, right.”

Ezekiel laughed.

“That’s American German bastard to you Auntie Mae. And it’s 3k or nothing, right.”

There was brief silence. Ezekiel grinned.

“Roger that bubba Caine. You better hammer on down to the pickle park. Sarah will be waiting for you with instructions and green sheets. Stay frosty. Auntie Mae over and out.”

“Moving on Auntie Mae. Ezekiel Caine in the Lampchop Expres, over and out.”