New beginnings

The car roared down the highway, top down. At the wheel, Amberelle revelled in the sensation of the cool night air whipping through her long golden hair as she weaved through the other traffic like it was standing still. Somewhere behind her now was the past, dark and filled with things she hoped to forget. Right now there was only the vibration of the road and the feeling of freedom that ran through her like a giddy drug. For the first time in her short 29 years she was truely, completely free and at her own command.
It can't be much further now, just be patient! She glanced down briefly at the carrier strapped into the seat beside her, since she could feel his eyes on her. She knew he hated to ride in a car. Poor little Louis, Mommy mistreats you so, doesn't she? She slipped a few fingers through the front grate and scratched him under his chin. He turned and leaned into her as he rubbed his neck on her, then softly licked her fingertips. In the darkness he was just a sea of black with burning green eyes looking up at her I'll turn on some music, OK? That will take your mind off the car, and I will look it up and see how much longer we have.. OK? Amby quickly tapped the controls to flip up the small screen and turned on the CD player to resume. A final few notes from Mozart drifted from the speakers before launching into a powerful rock rhythm. She smiled.. she liked this song. A few more taps on the screen and the blinking display showed how much further to the mansion.
It's not much further now sweetie, just an hour or less and we'll be in Nachton. When we get to the city limits I'll pull over and we can stretch our legs before we head to meet the Clan.
She swallowed a little hard as her stomach fluttered. There was no telling what kind of reception she would receive. Gustav had never spoken very highly of the Clan's leaders. But then again, he hated anyone having power besides himself (and certainly not a female!) so that was probably why. 'But I am also a runaway, so I don't know if he will ask them to make me go back or kill me or what. If the expect me to go back to him... they better be prepared to just kill me!' Her topaz eyes darkened and her pupils slowly closed into slits becoming almost feline in appearance. 'Hope they're prepared for a fight, cause I won't go out alone if so' Louis seemed to sense her shifting mood and began to howl mournfully. She visibly snapped and shook her head to clear the dark thoughts from it. She smiled faintly and caressed his carrier. Ohh... another good song.. Amberelle smiled and began to shout over the wind as she sang along
'I... stand alone.. inside, I.. stand alone, stand alone..'