Homely Communication

From Making Heads Turn...

The gray twilight before dawn illuminated Ana's steps as she walked the path from the street to her front door. Clicking her key in the front door's heavy deadbolt, and swinging open her front door, Ana turned briefly to her mailbox to collect a magazine and two envelopes. Stepping inside, she closed the door behind her, then with a sigh, leaned on the jamb. The doorknob was uncomfortable, poking into her side, but she simply grunted as she hauled herself off the wall and forced herself to walk into her bedroom.

A final thought occurred to her as she shucked the lovely dress she'd worn, as well as the remainder of her underthings, and slipped into some comfortable shorts and a long tee. Digging with frustration through her tiny purse for her cell phone, she thumbed through the directory and with a sudden "ah hah!" set the phone to dial.

Clearing her throat as the other party answered - no, wait, it was the voicemail system, good! - she spoke at the end of the greeting,
"Hi Aishe, it's Ana. I wanted to say that you looked amazing in that beige dress tonight at Club E, and I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up. You looked like you were having fun, though, so I didn't want to bother you. I hope we can get together soon, it's been far too long and I owe you a movie at the very least. Or dinner. Dinner would be better. Anyway, I hope the rest of your night was just as fun, and I'll catch you when I can."

Thumbing off her phone, Ana dropped it into the pile created by purse, underthings and shoes. Grunting again as she shook out her hair, seated on the side of her bed, this time with a bit of rasp in her noises, she realized she wanted to call Fallon and Suki to thank them very muchly so for the awesome night... But as she reclined into her bed, sleep took her.

The last thought she had brought a sleepy giggle to her lips as she imagined Fallon ribbing her about choosing to say hi to their other friend as opposed to thanking the ones she'd spent a good nine hours with.