Calling Card

Alexander couldn't decide who was more irritating. The flirtatious young lawyer trying her best to gain his attention, or the obsessed Bernard Cornell fan who wanted to debate the latest 'Sharpe' novel penned by the famous author.

The two Americans had latched onto Alexander's accent the moment he thanked the air hostess who had welcomed him aboard the transatlantic flight at Heathrow. The questions hadn't stopped flowing since the fasten safety belt light had been turned off.

No, I don't know Pierce Brosnan. Yes, I am English. No, Brosnan is Irish. Not really, Richard Sharpe would have been a rarity in the British Army. Officers rarely came up through the ranks. Sean Bean? Different accent I'm afraid.

Twenty gin and tonics later and an ocean passed away. Alexander was glad when the fasten safety belt light came on again and the Captain's gravely voice cut in over the intercom and announced they would be descending soon.

The seatbelt clasp shut with a satisfying click.

And just as quickly Alexander found himself staring a small creamy business card that had landed in his lap. Silky smooth paper and the tiniest scent of vanilla. Expensive.

"I just realized I never got your name."Â?

Alexander stared at the graceful black text emblazoned on the card.

"West. Alex West, Ms. Stewart."Â?

"A pleasure to meet you, Mr. West."Â?

He looked at her then, his pale blue eyes seemingly amused and distant at the same time as he studied her face. "The pleasure was all mine, Ms. Stewart."Â?

He watched as her pale checks flushed with colour. Pupils dilated in shock, a slight gasp from pursed lips. Ms. West shivered in spite of herself, and the plane suddenly shuddered in agreement. The squealing protest as wheels hit the tarmac kept her from saying anything as she fixated her gaze straight ahead.

It was a cheap thrill, Alexander mused. A minor use of the voice, but effective nonetheless. Let Ms. Stewart keep her fantasy. He had far more important things to do in Nachton than catering to her whim. Then again, lawyers were always useful to know. Alexander pocketed the card in the folds of his jacket and smiled slightly.

"...And thank you for choosing United Airlines for your travel requirements. Enjoy the rest of your evening in Nachton."Â?

"We'll see."Â? Alexander said softly. He unfastened the seatbelt and rose to his feet. It would be an inauspicious start to the evening if there was no-one to greet him in the airport luggage terminal. The thought of having to walk, or far worse, use a taxi to travel to Heolfor Manor was simply... unappealing.

"Have a good evening, Ms. Stewart."Â?

"Ah, thank you Mr. West. Same to you."Â?

Alexander suppressed a smile as he heard her flustered response.

Still, things could be worse.

Stranger 17 years ago
Roger detested standing about with a sign at the local airport like some limo for hire. He, unlike these other pay by the job blokes, actually had a full time, well paying job. Working for the Manor had its perks and its downfalls. He was rarely called to do drive in the daylight hours. Fine by him. A big disadvantage would be occasionally seeing things he just did not want to see about his patrons.

He was a smart man, so he had been told, and Roger knew to keep his mouth shut. In the early days, when he was laying in bed trying to sleep, he would think back on a night's strange events and wonder just who or what he was working for. Over time, and with his continued well being, Roger lost his curiosity. Whoever they were, they paid him well.

Even to be standing out here at Nachton International with a sign that read 'West' in bold marker.

((OOC: This is Alfarinn. I am going to move this to the underground as part of your introduction and once you've gotten to the Manor then a new thread can be started there.

Feel free to assume that Roger will pick up the bags and drive you to the Manor and that he was outside the luggage terminal probably guarding his limo from the meter police. ))
Alex West 17 years ago
If there was one advantage to having an American Passport, it was bypassing the ever increasing line of frustrated passengers in the non-resident lanes. Security at Nachton International was as tight as JFK or LaGuardia in New York. A cursory check of his passport, one official stamp and Alexander was making his way past the checkpoints towards the luggage terminal. One hardshelled suitcase made in Paris and one briefcase. Both had arrived with him. Alexander took up both with ease and headed towards the sliding doors of the exit. And thankfully, there was a driver complete with a sign that read 'West.' "That would be me." Alexander proclaimed with a smile as he dropped the suitcase at the man's feet. "Let's get going then, shall we."
Alex West 17 years ago
If there was one advantage to having an American Passport, it was bypassing the ever increasing line of frustrated passengers in the non-resident lanes.

Security at Nachton International was as tight as JFK or LaGuardia in New York. A cursory check of his passport, one official stamp and Alexander was making his way past the checkpoints towards the luggage terminal.

One hardshelled suitcase made in Paris and one briefcase. Both had arrived with him. Alexander took up both with ease and headed towards the sliding doors of the exit.

And thankfully, there was a driver complete with a sign that read 'West.'

"That would be me." Alexander proclaimed with a smile as he dropped the suitcase at the man's feet.

"Let's get going then, shall we?"

((occ: Arghh - for some reason I have trouble getting this to do paragraphs.
Any suggestions?))
Stranger 17 years ago
“Certainly, Sir.”

Roger bent down to pick up the luggage,quietly thankful that the gentleman only had two. He had seen a few of the residents arrive with enough baggage to outfit a ballroom of people and one of the Anantya insisted on going everywhere with her pets. Very -large- pets.

He popped the trunk and set the suitcases inside and then went to open the door for the man. Roger had not seen this one before but he was careful not to look too closely, some of his patrons did not like that. He had quickly learned to move swiftly, say nothing and try his best to do his job without actually being there when Mr. Lazarovici was in the vehicle; though there was this one time when the man seemed in a social mood and actually struck up a conversation. Roger shuddered involuntarily at the outcome and was secretly glad that the man had gone back to ignoring him every evening there after.

Once his passenger was comfortably seated, Roger shut the door and slid into the driver's seat. He cast a quick glance at the stylish gentleman in the back seat before looking forward again.

“To the Manor then, Sir?”

((OOC: Unfortunately I have that problem also and have found no real solution.))
Alex West 17 years ago
Alexander nodded his approval. “Yes. Thank you.”

“And your name?” Alexander added as an afterthought as the vehicle began to slowly pull away from the kerb.
Stranger 17 years ago
"Roger, Sir."

He replied as he carefully inched the limo away from the other cars parked at the curb. It was nice of the gentleman to ask. There was a hope that this one was one of the more normal of his patrons.

Roger quickly got lost in the drive and his own thoughts as the routine trip got under way. Though the Manor was on the outskirts of the city, it seemed to take no time at all before they had reached it. A pleasant drive tended to do that for him, time moved quickly as the night's sparse traffic allowed him a smooth path away from the broad streets and city lights.

He rolled down in window and spoke to the box by the gate.

"Its me, Roger, with Mr West."

Roger waited for the guard to buzz open the door before he slid the window back up and drove through the double gates of Heolfor Manor

"Here we are, Sir."

Stopping the limo at the front entrance, Roger stepped out and opened the door for his passenger and then went to retreive the luggage. These he handed to a waiting butler who would take them to whatever room was prepared for the new arrival. Seeing that there were people already waiting to acknowledge Mr West's presence, Roger felt his part was done. He nodded once to the head butler and then to his patron before sliding back into the car and slowly driving it to the garage.

((OOC: I am going to assume both you and Roger are out at this time and we'll let Rupert begin a thread for you in the Manor. PM me if that is not what you would like to do. ))