Homework

Dawn was starting to get a bit irritated with Ko and his damn requests. Now he wanted her to send him an essay of all things. And on local politics. What the fuck. Stalking into the library, she settled herself down in the periodicals section and grabbed the local paper - the Nachton Times, apparently. Scanning through, she only found one local story. Apparently some park had been rededicated to some dead mayor. Well, looks like that was it. Hopping out of her chair, she tossed her jacket onto it and headed to the reference librarian, who was looking at her a bit oddly. "Yeah, I dun wanna be'ere anymor'n ya want me here."

"Yo, y'gots anymo'stuff on May'Apollo?"

The librarian stared at her blankly. After a moment, she was greeted with,

"Excuse me?"

Frowning, Dawn repeated herself, translating into a bare monotone.

"Greetings, my good library worker. I have a burning desire to understand the life and times of one C. John Apollo and how said worthy was selected for the honor of a memorial park. Can you direct me to a convenient body of periodicals or literature to assist me in my endeavor?"

Getting a frown and a curt nod from the librarian, Dawn was directed to the archives computers, where she found several sources and brought the numbers back to the librarian. Bringing her hefty stack back to her seat, she started perusing.

"Fuckin'ell! He died inna 'splosion?!"

Maybe politics was more interesting than she thought...

Valentine 17 years ago
Exactly how she’d wound up in the library was a bit of a mystery. It wasn’t that Val was illiterate, it was just that things of the scholarly persuasion were so damned slow… and therefore dull. She’d probably come in to look something up, that would make sense but the high shelves and studious atmosphere seemed to suck up her concentration.

Roaming the shelves looking for inspiration she couldn’t help but over here the exclamation. Instead of being shocked or scandalized Val giggled, too loudly at that, and stuck her head around the corner to see who was making the racket.

“Explosions will do that to a person.”

She was still grinning, explosions were a favorite topic even if it wasn’t one that could often or openly be discussed.

Coming fully around to the other woman’s table she completely failed to mind her own business. If she couldn’t remember why she was here, she might as well have some fun.

“Who died in what explosion?”
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Cocking her head at the woman whose red hair was popping around a shelf, Dawn sat up some. Maybe she'd know more about this stuff.

"Dude...th'old mayah! Got blown up at a big ball or sumthin! Shit like this jus don't happen every day anymore! In Cali we just recalled our Governor, didn't blow his ass up! Makes a person wonder why anyone'd go inta politics!"
Wesley 17 years ago
Wesley’s mind wasn’t on doing research just then. He was still trying to understand what had happened the evening before and what had actually transpired. Nic had gone up to his flat with him for coffee. But then he changed his mind, “or was it me that changed my mind” he thought. Anyway next thing Wesley knew he got extremely sleepy. “But I wasn’t ready for sleep, it just came on to sudden, not my way doing things,” he thought.

He was so involved in his self-talk processing he ran right into this little red head gal.

“Oh I’m sorry,” he said, as both their materials scattered over the hardwood library floor.
Valentine 17 years ago
Politics and explosions went hand in glove as far as Val was concerned, at least they did when things were done right. But that mild pout was neither her nor there, just a longing for the good old days and a sure sign she was bored.

“Oh that. Weren’t you there?”

Actually given the girl’s speech she didn’t seem much like the ball going type. However, if she wasn’t there and she hadn’t seen it on the news she must also be a recent arrival.
Wesley 17 years ago
Wesley bent down to recover their things. He wasn’t sorting things out well and had a number of her items mixed in with his and the reverse.

“Oh I’m really mixed up here. I’m not doing well am I?” he stammered.

If he had been able to plan it worse, he would have needed an in-depth thought out plan. What through him, beyond the surprise of the impact, was she was just the kind of girl he just went gaga over. She was a small dainty figured girl and a red head, both high on his list of perfect combinations. Top it off was that smile she lit up with it.

“I’m Wesley I’m sorry what is your name?” he asked. He was totally unaware of the other woman. It was unusually rude of him.
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Wrinkling her nose and laughing, Dawn chirped

"Naw, I musta mist that one. Y'know, full docket'n all. Jus'o hard'ta fit th'maya in wit'all th'otha gala events I gotta go to. So y'went? Wereya like RIGHT THERE when he blew up?"

Dawn had been around a lot of violence for her age, but she'd never been in an explosion. She wondered what it would be like...all of the pressure, the crazy sound, the heat and pain and then...nothing. Like it never happened except for the mess. Kinda like an earthquake, really. She'd done plenty of those, though.

"So's bein' inna 'splosion like bein' inna earthquake? I never been blowed up, what. Been'n all sortsa shakers, tho."
Valentine 17 years ago
It wasn’t –that- long ago that Val hadn’t qualified for any of these gala events. Hell, she didn’t really qualify now, she could just afford it.

It hadn’t traumatized her or anything so she was happy to talk about it and nodded cheerfully.

“Oh yes, great fun wood, glass flying –everywhere- loud and smoky and it ruined a perfectly good dress.”

She’d drug Addison out of it as well, but hadn’t seen him since. Val wondered what happened to him, and made a mental note to look him up.

“It’s actually highly annoying to be caught in an explosion, but I’ve never been in an earthquake so I don’t have a point of comparison there.”
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Shrugging, Dawn blurted

"Well, looks like that's it then - we needta find some poor fool's been in both an ask how they compare. Then ask why they're fool ass has been in BOTH."

Thinking for a minute, Dawn tried to explain.

"Ok...y'know how sleepin' on a waterbed feels? Now imagine you're a hamster or somethin', and there's a buncha kids jumpin on the bed. Kinda like a quake. Not always a lotta shit flying around, but if there's any bricks or glass they usually go if it is a decent one. But bein' in an open place, or like a parkin lot or somethin with a lot of solid, movable things makes y'see just HOW much motion the ground has. Neat. In a kinda 'well-i'm-out-here-anyway-so-I-might-as-well-make-the-most-of-it' kinda way."

She wasn't sure how much that helped. Really, the only way to get it was to be in one. Not that it was a really good thing to seek out, since they were both uncommon and random.
Valentine 17 years ago
“You should just go to more balls, maybe you’ll get lucky.”

The girl made Val giggle. The idea of finding someone who’d been in both an explosion –and- an earthquake had a bizarre appeal and she wondered how to go about doing it.

“And I’m almost tempted to try out an earthquake. I hear they have a lot of quakes in Japan or the Bay area. Too bad you can’t schedule one then I could try it out without having to lurk around for god only knows how long.”

That was the kicker too, she wasn’t going to wait for months or years to try this out. It would just have to happen, if it did. Although she refrained from mentioning, she could arrange for an explosion if the girl really wanted to know.

“I’m sorry I don’t think I got your name?”
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
"Y'hear right - all roun' the Pacific they get shakers I guess. There's this fence in Cali near this dude's house who moved out from the Midwest or somethin and bought cheap land RIGHT on the San Andreas...oh, that's th'big fault in Cali in case y'didn't know. But he just left it up and as it keeps sliding farther away he sets up year markers...an' since no'ne wantsta live there he pretty much owns ev'rythin' inside th'new borders. So in like 10,000 years he'll have an assload of beachfront property. Talk 'bout future plannin'. Oh, an'I'm Dawn."

Sticking out her hand, Dawn assumed a shake would be kosher. No one knew how to pound right out here.
Valentine 17 years ago
Val laughed again, something about this girl amused her to no end. She couldn't help but laugh. Maybe it was her energy, it was contagious. Not that Val needed help on that point but it was a welcome change of pace. Fast was good but faster was better.

"There's land speculation and then there is land -speculation- isn't there?"

But even she couldn't handle that -long- term invesment. Much simpiler to buy what you wanted now and sell it when you got tired of it.

Accepting the offered hand she smiled.

"Valentine. Nice to meet you Dawn."
Alec Devereaux 17 years ago
Shaking, Dawn grinned.

"So, y'know if they gottanuffa'im t'put'im inna box or sumthin? Like an ACTUAL grave, not jus'th'memorial? That'd be pretty sweet t'check out laters. Go an' getta rubbin' or somethin'...put it inna frame an title it 'Why I didn't go into politics'. Fuck THAT shit."

Laughing, Dawn cocked her head and looked at the friendly stranger, realizing she knew absolutely nothing about her beyond her name. It reminded her of the movie with the guy from the doctor show and the other guy from the bowling movie where they talk about "the gift of gab." Abstractly, she wondered for a moment if that is why she met so many people at random...though she'd never be able to say "gift of gab" and keep a straight face. Had to be the worst rapper name ever.

"So, y'related t'th'Saint r't'th'Massacre? Either way, kinda neat. I don't got any saints'r events related t'me that I know. Whaddya do?"
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Shaking, Dawn grinned.

"So, y'know if they gottanuffa'im t'put'im inna box or sumthin? Like an ACTUAL grave, not jus'th'memorial? That'd be pretty sweet t'check out laters. Go an' getta rubbin' or somethin'...put it inna frame an title it 'Why I didn't go into politics'. Fuck THAT shit."

Laughing, Dawn cocked her head and looked at the friendly stranger, realizing she knew absolutely nothing about her beyond her name. It reminded her of the movie with the guy from the doctor show and the other guy from the bowling movie where they talk about "the gift of gab." Abstractly, she wondered for a moment if that is why she met so many people at random...though she'd never be able to say "gift of gab" and keep a straight face. Had to be the worst rapper name ever.

"So, y'related t'th'Saint r't'th'Massacre? Either way, kinda neat. I don't got any saints'r events related t'me that I know. Whaddya do?"
Valentine 17 years ago
Politics was always a fun subject, especially when it involved fucking the politions. Of course, Val was rather sick that way. Dawn's apparent agreement kept a smile on her face.

"Politics may be evil but politicians have their uses."

Primarily as kindling, although they did make good sharrapnell as well.

"Actually yes, I'm name for the holiday. Its my birthday."

Sort of at any rate, no need to go into details.

"I own a car dealership down in New York, mostly high end flash but it is fun to try out the new models."
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Wrinkling her nose, she replied

"Yeah, like chummin' shark-infested waters, guillotine tester, moving target...along wit'the bomb tester an' works'a art that we already coverd."

At Valentine's admission, Dawn nodded.

"Kinda figured somethin' like that. Dawn happens once'a day, but Valentine's gotta be somethin' a bit more unusual, so there'ad ta be'a tie."

Car dealership? That fit with the natural comfort around strangers, but still.

"Really? But you ain't all slicked back, slimy an' vaguely reptilian! Hurtin' muh worldview! Must be th'high end dealie. I dun usually shop at them."
Valentine 17 years ago
Val's eyes lit up at Dawn's description of politics.

"Only if you're lucky."

That kind of political climate was great fun, if you were an independent contractor or just a person fond of explosives and political discontent. She realized not everyone shared that opinion, but what could you do.

She nodded at Dawn's comment about her name. Val had grown down right fond of her assumed moniker and very rarely if ever mentioned her given name. Those thoughts left her with the car salesman slur which only made her laugh.

"We put on human suits for customers willing to drop several hundred thousand. That and I own it, I don't usually sell so I've evolved somewhat. If it helps your world view at all I'm relatively certain I don't have a soul."
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
"Ooooooooooh. That's evens, then. S'long as you're know that you don't gotta soul, s'all good. An' I shouldn't be t'judgemental, anyway. I lissen t'hip hop, an'n some circles that's almost as hellworthy as country!"

Jotting her digits down, Dawn offered the shred of paper to Valentine.

"Y'seem like y'd be fun t'club with sometime. Here's my number if y'ever wanna get inna barfight. In case I forget later."
Valentine 17 years ago
"Only the second or third circle I'm sure."

Taking the offered note she quickly reached into her purse and slid Dawn a buisness card across the table.

"That's my cell in the lower right. Just let me know when, I could use a night out."
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Grinning, Dawn tucked the card into her jacket's inner pocket, leaving it over the chair. A new contact in town was always a good thing. Even better if she liked to tear it up at clubs. It got Dawn thinking about DJing again...it'd been awhile. Her studies had come first, but sometimes it was best to let your hair down. Especially when it was multicolored.

"Good times, good times. So...I gotta pry. What'sa car dealership owna doin' in th'library this time'a night? Generally it is just the clean homeless, students an' peeps lookin' for a free room, what. You kinda stand out."

Or looking for a bite to eat. Everyone's got a story, after all.
Valentine 17 years ago
"I needed to look something up in the registary, checking a few refferances and records. It looks like I'll have to go down to New York to do it properly though."

She was a bit miffed about that but the Jockey Club didn't leave its records lying about just any where. But it was a chance she had been willing to take.

"Why are you looking up explosions?"

Val countered with a slightly twisted grin.