Wesley's excursion to The Vesper Gardens

It was four weeks ago that Wes had come from the US to Nachton. He had concentrated mostly on getting his studies underway and getting a grip on the campus area. At the chess club/coffee shop one of the students told him he should check out the Vasper Gardens, so here he was.

He had taken the number 57 bus into midtown and transferred to the streetcar, number 4. It did a loop from midtown out to gardens, very quaint.

As enjoyed a good walk the gardens suited his temperament very well.

Nicholae 17 years ago
Wondering who he'd run into at the Gardens, Nic hopped on his bike and took off shortly after sunset. It seemed every time he'd driven through the Vespers he'd bumped into someone he knew, and at the moment he just craved a friendly face. However, being much more careful than the last time he'd nearly run poor Dawn down, he slowly rode his bike to the fountain.

Frowning when he didn't see anyone other than a guy he didn't know, he was about to turn and head off to the marina. But then, because the Gardens were pretty quiet, he wondered if he might feed now, and then go check out the marina. This guy looked sturdy, being nearly as tall as Nic, and healthy looking, and Nic couldn't see any reason not to take advantage of an opportunity.

"Hey...you look a little new to the area...can I help you find your way around some?"

The guy didn't really look confused or anything, but it seemed a good line, and easily remedied if it turned out the guy had lived in Nachton all his life. Nic was getting better at finding ways to befriend strangers. Or so he thought.

He rolled his bike up along side the guy, and waited to see if he'd acknowledge him.
Wesley 17 years ago
Wesley was, as always, lost in his own mind when the young guy called out to him.

He finally focused on him,
"excuse me? Are you talking to me?
Nicholae 17 years ago
The lack of immediate response on the part of the other guy, led Nic to wonder if perhaps he really was lost. The other option could be too that the guy was just way too involved in his own mind, and that didn't bode well. Anyone that wrapped up in internal issues probably wouldn't be at all receptive to Nic's charms.

But he couldn't just rush off, without giving it the old college try. And before he went too much farther, he decided another issue needed to be clarified.

"Yea...you looked a little distracted...I was wondering if you might be lost, or in need of assistance?"

He couldn't really get too much more concerned, without looking really odd. They were strangers after all.

"Are you by any chance looking for Anantya, Evenhet, or Tacharan?" There...Nic would try and gauge by the guys response if there was any connection. Of course not all vampires belonged to clans, but Nic didn't think this guy would be out on his own like he was, if he didn't have clan protection behind him. To Nic this guy seemed even more obtuse to Nachton's way of life than Nic was, and that was saying something.
Wesley 17 years ago
Wes being new to town would not know any of the people the fellow had rattled off.

"I'm sorry young man but I'm not really looking for anyone. However I could use a little help, if you don't mind. Where would I find a cheep place to get bite to eat around the gardens?"

He would smile, and ask, "By the way I'm Wesley, may ask your name?"Â?
Nicholae 17 years ago
Though he didn't show it, Nic was visibly relieved that he would have no clan issues to consider when dealing with this guy. He did grin slightly when he realized that the man thought Anantya, Evenhet, and Tacharan were other people.

"There is a very good restaurant in the Grand Piazza, which isn't far, and since you are new to Nachton, I'd like to treat you, unless you have other plans?"

It was the least Nic could do, if he was going to be fed by this man. And it appeared he had a great chance of that happening.

"Nic...Nic Lache, and it's nice to meet you Wesley." Nic held out his hand towards the man, as he moved forward on his bike some.

"If you want, you can climb on back and I can get us to the Piazza in no time flat." Nic didn't have either helmet with him, but since they didn't have more than a couple blocks, he didn't really think it would matter. He was, after all, an exemplary cycle rider.
Wesley 17 years ago
Wesley being one handed would be reluctant to ride the bike.

"No thanks, I enjoy walking,"Â? he would say as he shakes hands with Nic.

"I'm a student, how about you?"Â? he asked, as he followed the young man further into the gardens.
Nicholae 17 years ago
Nic couldn't understand why the guy would want to walk, unless he had some phobia about other guys. Because Nic really knew his way around a bike, and the fact that Wes was missing half an arm wouldn't have made any difference. But he had to respect the man's decision, so he rolled the bike along.

Nic was a little surprised to hear Wesley was a student, as he didn't look 'that' young. But again Nic guessed maybe whatever accident the man had been in, had possibly rendered him a little behind in things. Or, then too, maybe Wesley had decided to go back to school a little later in life.

"I...ride bikes." Nic joked, and then shook his head negatively. "Nah...I have an investment firm in England that keeps me in gasoline, but I'm also in the market for some land to build a hotel, slash, resort on. But as it turns out now, I'm a bit in between things."

Nic's legs were feeling the strain of walking the bike, and that reminded him that he needed to get back into a workout routine. It shamed him a little that he couldn't remember the last time he'd been in the gym at Liefde.

As the walked, Nic began planting a few seeds in Wesley's head...first he turned on the glamour charm, and hoped Wes would see Nic in a very favorable light. Nic didn't really care for taking on a male lover, so he hoped Wesley didn't swing that way, but it never hurt for food to look upon you in a positive light.

Nic also started planting the idea in Wes to make him feel very comfortable with Nic...like a long lost buddy maybe. If things went well, Nic could give the guy a decent meal, and then the guy could return the favor, and everyone would be happy.

"What are you studying for...what's your major?"
Wesley 17 years ago
Wesley looked at Nic and wondered if he was a rich kid. He didn't care much for the rich class people. They seemed to disregard anything the average joe did as quaint and non-important. He knew full well that life handed out unequal portions to it's children of happenstance.

"I'm in a grad program at the university here. Hope to get a job in electro-medicine," he answered.

He wondered how far this cafe was. They were seeming to go deeper into the farden and away from anything looking like a plaza.
Nicholae 17 years ago
Because Nic was paying more attention to his new 'friend' than where he was going, it took him a couple minutes to realize he really wasn't going in the direction of the Piazza. He stopped...pointed to another path that led them back out to the street, and turned the bike that way. Rolling along again, he had to say he was impressed with the guy's major...mainly because he didn't have the foggiest idea of what it meant, but if it involved medicine it had to be important.

"Uh...'electro' medicine? Care to explain? I'm one of those guys who still hasn't figured out how to check my email very well, much less understand many other new fangled electronic items of today."

He chuckled, knowing he probably sounded like the four hundred year old codger he really was, but then sobered up, not wanting to give Wes any reason for questioning his attitude.
Wesley 17 years ago
"No probably, Nic. What I want to do is developed the medical equipment that helps in mapping the human electrical impulse systems,"Â? Wesley answered.

The truth was he hadn't gotten into the field far enough to explain it well to Nic.

They had come to the area that looked promising as the plaza. "Is this the place?"Â? Wesley asked.
Nicholae 17 years ago
Nic nodded his understanding of Wesley's inability to explain. Sometimes it boggled Nic's mind to try and explain how he did so well in choosing investments that just seemed to explode in profits. Often he just chalked it up to a gift, but he knew there was more to it...just not what that 'more' was.

He was glad when the brush and trees opened up onto the sidewalk, and just across the street was the Piazza.

"That is my other dream...to create something like that, only better. I want to have the hottest hotel and spa in all of Nachton, where rooms are booked up months in advance, and where I can live as well. The Piazza is nice, for what it is, and I've enjoyed staying there, but my place...is gonna knock the socks off this place."

Nodding his head towards the multi storied building, he smiled at Wesley. "Nothing as noble as what you intend to do, but it should keep me out of trouble."

Crossing the street he walked the bike up to the valet, and blew off the questioning look the guy had given him. He didn't feel like he owed the guy any explanation on why he was walking his bike instead of riding it.

Once he'd hopped off, he pulled open the door, and gestured for Wes to precede him inside.

"The restaurant is towards the back, over in the corner there, to the right."

Nic walked in the direction he'd indicated, and once the maitre d' recognized him, showed him to a choice table towards the back of the room.

"I think you're really going to like the food here. The shrimp and steak are among the best dishes in Nachton, however you have them served."

Sitting down with his back to the wall, Nic asked the waiter to bring him a beer, and then waited for Wes to order a drink.
Wesley 17 years ago
Wesley followed Nic into the nicely stylish building. He thought to himself how the youthful young man still had large dreams. It was a plus in Wesley's mind.

"So tell me Nic, do you have a long term and short term game plan to get this hotel up and going?"Â? he asked, with a pleasant smile.

His interest in this fellow was growing, but being a loner, he still was guarded. He wanted friends an Nic was friendly enough, so he decided to see if they had anything in common.

"Do you play Chess, by chance?"Â? he probed.
Nicholae 17 years ago
"The short term goal is to get it started, the long term goal is to bring it to the level I'm aiming for, and then keep it there. Innovative decorating, and keeping things changing on a fairly regular basis...keeping it high end, but never the same long, so people will want to come back, over and over again. Keeping the service top notch, so people have no reason to go anywhere else. That's about as far as I've gotten. "

Thinking maybe Wes needed a bit of a prod, Nic did so.

"What did you want to drink? Join me in a beer, or would you like something a little harder?" The waiter stood patiently nearby, ready to get the drinks and return for whatever else they wanted to order.

"And yes, I do play chess...I have for...years." Nic could have gone a bit more into detail there, but since Wes didn't know any of the clans, chances were nearly positive that he was human...so Nic had to play his life's details very close to his vest.
Wesley 17 years ago
"Well haven't tried any loggers here yet. What do you suggest?"Â? Wes asked, as he thought it was time to relax a bit.

He had been so wound up getting settled in school and a new country he had no time to just kick back. Tonight, he thought, would be a good time to relax.

"So Nic, where can one get into a club thing here? I haven't been out around this town yes, so you in the know?"Â? he asked the lad.
Nicholae 17 years ago
Nic gave the waiter the order for two beers he was fond of, and also ordered an appetizer plate, with an onion ring blossom, hot wings, and mozzarella sticks. He wasn't sure how hungry Wes was, but he didn't think it would hurt to start the food flowing soon.

"These are a stout ale, but not bitter at all. I think you'll enjoy it, but if you don't, feel free to try something else. This is my 'welcome to Nacton' to you." It was easy for Nic to be nice to Wes...he seemed a bit suspect, but not anything that wouldn't seem normal under the circumstances. And Nic really was a nice guy, always willing to give back more than he got.

"For a true club, right now there are two that I'm aware of...the House of Pain, and the Eternity Club. The House is a little on the seedy side, but you can usually find a good deal of action at either. The Eternity Club can be difficult to get into sometimes. They cater to a pretty elite crowd...not that I'm saying you'd have any trouble, but the House is a little more laid back." Calling the House of Pain 'laid back' was really not the most accurate term to use, but Nic wasn't sure Wes could front the cover at the Eternity Club. The House was less concerned about who frequented them.

"There are quite a few really nice, friendly pubs though, if you're into a quieter, less frentic paced place. Everyone I've met here...and I've not been here a year yet...have been friendly and accommodating. I'm sure you'll fit in well, and get to know the area quick. If you want...I can take you around town after dinner, and show you a few places, then drop you off at home. Or...if you're still a little skittish about riding on the bike, I can jot down the names of a few places."

As was the custom at the Piazza, the waiter returned quickly with the beers, and Nic raised his in a salute to his new friend.

"Welcome Wes...do you mind if I call you Wes?"
Wesley 17 years ago
“I actually prefer Wes, thank you,” he replied.

Wesley looked at the bike out side and decided to at least give it a try, he thought that the changes of death were farley slim. “I’ll give it a go on your bike, and see how it works out.”

He took a sip of beer and commented, “Umm, quite good. You have excellent taste in the brew.”

The two places seemed a bit extreme for his taste and his limited purse. “Tell me about this House of Pain. I can’t believe anyone would name some hot spot like that. So is it occult BDSM hangout or something?” he asked, half in jest.
William 17 years ago
Will walked into the Piazza, with a soft sigh. Having stopped at home and showered, he realized he did not want to be at home this eve. So he put on slacks, nice shoes and a button-down with out a tie, and headed to the Piazza via the Gardens. He crossed the lobby quickly, doing his best not to spy the elevators and their movement, to the restaurant. He stood at the entrance and smiled gently at the man behind the podium. His gaze roved the place quickly, taking in the patrons, and spying a clan mate he'd seen only in passing a time or two.

Well it was high time he made his acquaintance. Will nodded at the man and made his way across the restaurant, stopping next to the table.

"Mind if I join you?"
Nicholae 17 years ago
Nic was glad Wes had no issues with the beer, or the bike now, and was saved from addressing the 'House of Pain' issue by the voice of another guy.

Looking up at the new arrival, Nic nodded. The guy looked vaguely familiar, but he wasn't sure why. Since his meal was now pretty much set for later, with Wes, Nic had no problem increasing the numbers at the table.

"Sure, pull up a chair...always nice meeting new faces, and tonight it seems to be the standard fare. " Nic did a little sizing up of the newcomer, and moved his chair a fraction over to make sure the guy had room between him and Wesley.

"Name's Nic Lache, and this is Wes...we've already ordered a couple beers, but that's as far as we've gotten."

Raising his hand to the waiter, Nic motioned to bring another beer, hoping it would sit well with the new diner. He then bided his time, waiting for an introduction.
William 17 years ago
"Will Timmerman. A pleasure, gentlemen."

Will gave his hand to each man in a firm handshake, before sitting down. The waiter brought him a glass bottle, and Will thanked him. He quickly read the label and approved of the selection. He wasn't much of a drinker, but he enjoyed a good ale now and then.

"I was at home in my room at the Towers." He looked pointedly at Nic. "And decided I wanted company for the evening. I saw you Nic, whom I've seen in passing a time or two and thought to come say hello."

There that should let Nic know where they had seen each other with out revealing who and what they were, in case WEs was Nic's meal for the evening.
Wesley 17 years ago
Wesley also made a bit of room for this new guy. He wasn't all that social most of the time but this night he had decided was going be different.

He accepted the strong handshake the fellow offered. "Glad to meet you Will,"Â? he said with his shake.

"Nic here was telling me about some hot spots,"Â? Wesley informed Will.

He in truth was a better listener then a conversationalist and he hoped the two would carry the load of it. His dad had told him on more than one occasion that the listened get more out of the conversation.