Regrouping (attn: Mai)

He'd had another drink, or was it two, and was starting to feel restless. You couldn't just stay still after an argument like that but he wasn't about to throw things like a six year old either. Relying more on his can than he generally did Ambrose rather aimlessly stalked the grounds.

God damned woman should mind her own business. What did it matter to her if he belonged to an order or not? He was managing just fine with out her 'help' and then for her to go off and leave him that just wasn't right at all.

Several cutting remarks came to him as he prowled. It wasn't right that he could be more articulate after the fight than during it.

About that time he noticed his surroundings and realized he'd never been in this part of the grounds before. It was a garden, but far too organized for his liking although it did have a rather tranquil feel about it. Not that he wanted to be tranquil right now, no he'd gotten his temper up and was rather determined it would stay there. Although his stalking had become less aggressive and he was slowing down somewhat.

Mai 17 years ago
Mai tilted her head up and tracked the owl through the air by the faint sound of its wings. Quieter than most birds, owls, very efficient hunters. She held a large stone in one hand, debating whether there was sense in striking the creature. Practice was not a good enough reason to her mind though she did respect the owl as a better challenge than most.

Tonight's kimono was was black but with delicate fuji flowers emboirdered along the sleeves and the bottom half of the silk fabric. She had a matching lavender coloured silk blindfold wrapped around her eyes.

Jogging just slightly as the owl glided on the wind overhead, she almost ran head long into the other occupant of the English garden. Mai halted her momentum just in time to keep from bowling him over but she did have to reach out with both hands to steady herself, making a startled sideways hop to keep out of his way.

Focusing her attention on the man she almost toppled, Mai bowed.

"Ah, sumi masen, Ambrose-san."Â?

Frowning up at the owl, Mai bent down and carefully placed the stone down to the side of the path. Her fingers brushing the flowers on the way up.

"Konbanwa, Are you wishing to be left alone this evening?"Â?

((OOC: She didn't touch him when she stuck her hands out, it was more of a grasping at air wobble move....very err graceful for someone with both agility and gliding, heh ))
Ambrose 17 years ago
Since he’d been trying to get his bearings he’d had some warning of some one coming, other wise it was extremely likely the small elder would have knocked him over. As it was he made an odd shuffling sort of hop trying to get out of the way.

It was an awkward movement and caused him to snarl inwardly. Just another reminder of how limited his movements had become. That she was an elder was the only reason he held his temper and made an attempt at manners.

He returned her bow with a half bow of his own.

“I’m not sure what I want tonight elder.”

Why in god’s name had he said that? Ambrose would have stalked off after such a comment, but respect held him in place for the time being.
Mai 17 years ago
Mai's eyebrows could be seen just above the blindfold as she raised them in response to Amrbose's statement. Tilting her head sideways, she considered him for a moment.

"It is a simple thing to know. You either want company or you do not."Â?

Unless he was not sure that he wanted her company. That thought gave her a pause. They had not conversed long enough for him to have an aversion to her, nor did he seem overly anxious in her presence.

It was likely something else then.

"You do not speak of company; another thing troubles you. That is what brought you to the garden,ne?"Â?

((OOC: eh, sometimes she rambles and sometimes she doesn't say much... ))
Ambrose 17 years ago
The simplicity made Ambrose laugh slightly. He had been in the mood for company but had taken a rather dramatic turn for the worst and he’d effectively chased her off. Of course, under the circumstances, he couldn’t feel bad about it, he just rather wished the question were that easy.

“Yeah. … … Yeah I guess it is.”

It wasn’t the fight with Belle that had him edgy, not if he were honest with himself. It was why they’d had the fight, the same damned problem that he’d had for a hundred years, give or take, that had him bent out of shape. Bell had just driven the point home he hadn’t, and still didn’t, appreciate that point.

“You’d think after so may years I’d be used to it.”

It didn’t strike Ambrose as at all odd that the could rage at Belle, who he cared deeply for, but maintained a calm respect with the Elder of the Hunt, who did didn’t know nearly as well.
Mai 17 years ago
Mai smiled when he realized that the choice was a simple one. You had to look past outer civility...or at least she observed that others did, and find that which you truly desire. In such a question the answer is generally straight forward.

The why to the question could be very complex. She had not yet asked him the why.

She mused at his answer, brushing her fingers lightly along the delicate pink petals of a rose.

"An old problem then."Â?

Mai waited.
Ambrose 17 years ago
Why the blindfold, was it an exercise, practice did it signify something or was it beyond anything he’d considered. Recalling the elder’s long unblinking gaze when they’d met in the Cathedral he was quite tempted to just blurt out his questions, could she see, was she blind.

He opened his mouth to say something but held back. Ambrose wasn’t sure why he’d done that but couldn’t bring himself to be quite so blunt.

“A hundred and twenty five years or so.”

There really wasn’t a good way to broach the subject. He just wasn’t comfortable approaching the subject directly. Which made him feel like an idiot, any other topic he’d hit head on regardless of who it might offend but not this.

It wasn’t fair to waste the Elder’s time, not like this, not because he was being a fool. Still Ambrose couldn’t walk away from this. After a pause, that to him seemed long and awkward, he plowed forward with all the delicacy of a freight train.

“I don’t fit were I should Elder and it bothers me.”
Mai 17 years ago
She smiled gently at him when he mentioned the length of time he had this problem. It seemed such a short span for her but Mai figured it was nearly his whole life. What could be so long lasting a difficulty?

Mai's hand stilled on the rose during the pause while Ambrose considered what he would say. Nodding at his quiet statement. She reached down and plucked the rose from the bush. Turning towards Ambrose, she held it out to him.

"A rose is most comfortable among its own kind but each rose is unique and beautiful on its own."Â?

Tilting her head up to the stars, she said.

"You do not feel you belong with the Order of the Hunt. Why is that?"Â?
Ambrose 17 years ago
A florist he wasn’t, Ambrose looked at the flower uncertain what to make of it. Philosophy had never been his strong suit and the thought took some time to sort itself out.

He was still relating a flower to a missing limb when he accepted the rose and promptly jabbed his thumb on a thorn. Damned prickly things no matter how delicate they looked and that made him smile, snidely but smile.

“Its who I was before I wound up short a leg.”

Not quite an answer he supposed, but Ambrose wasn’t about to admit to himself or the Elder of the Hunt it made him feel weak, restricted, limited, that he was afraid he wouldn’t be able to live up to the order’s needs.

He eyed thumb discreetly as Mai looked skyward. In some ways, it was easier to explain all this when no one was looking right at him. He felt less confronted.
Mai 17 years ago
Mai frowned at Ambrose thoughtfully. He had two legs. One was not natural. She could hear the difference and feel it in the way he walked but it was still a leg.

"You have leg. Ambrose-san, you are whole person. Leg is just a piece. Without a few leaves the flower on the bush still lives."Â?

She mused for a moment before continuing.

"This person you were before would be in the Hunt. This Ambrose in front of me wants to be in the Hunt but feels he is not worthy."Â?

Mai shrugged slightly and turned away.

"If Ambrose-san feels he is not worthy of the Hunt then he is right."Â?

It was hard for her to understand feeling of inadequacy. She never felt it. Mai understood that she had been blind as a child and that it was perhaps a blessing. For a young creature adaption is easy and natural and with Mai it was just that way. Her world had become dark gradually and the light never returned. She explored the darkness and thrived in it.

She smiled and moved away from him.

"I will give you a test."Â?

With that said, Mai somersaulted away from him a few feet and stood balanced on one leg.

"You have stick. If you can come close to hitting blind girl hopping on one leg with stick. I say you are worthy of being in the Hunt."Â?

Spreading her arms out like a bird's for balance, Mai tilted her blindfolded head up to him and smiled. Moving one arm towards him, her palm open, she beckoned him with a wave of her hand.

((OOC: She's crazy...its true. Her assumptions may or may not be accurate. They are based on this conversation and the one in the Cathedral. ))
Ambrose 17 years ago
That was harsh, it actually stung more than anything else he’d been hit with in the past. Being told he couldn’t do it, wasn’t worthy, he had half a mind to start raging at her but bit his tongue, literally. God damned it this wasn’t that easy! He’d been an idiot to try and talk this out he was much happier, less hostile, letting it fester. Although having someone else tell him he couldn’t do it mad him want to argue and prove her wrong.

As quick as the desire to fight hit it was tempered by the idea of a test. He’d been caught with his pants down, he wasn’t ready for any kind of test. All right though, if that’s what she wanted he could do this.

Or not.

Ambrose just stared at Mai, his mouth opened and closed for a second. At least he had his answer, she was blind.

“You want me to try and clobber you with my cane?”

This was not how he’d planed on the evening going, not in his wildest dreams.

((OOC… lol! Crazy we can handle, or try to, and she isn’t that far off the mark with her assumptions.))
Mai 17 years ago
Mai waited serenely for him to choose. He could take up the challenge quickly and do something unexpected, refuse, question her or something else entirely. It did not matter to her; only the moment mattered. In this moment, she was simply waiting.

She smiled when he chose to question her. Was what she said not clear? It seemed somewhere through ages people had ceased to take things at face value. Words were not considered truth, even spoken by someone known not to lie, if the truth was not what was expected. Mai was not sure the doubt was a bad thing, but she was not entirely certain that it was good either.

"No, Ambrose-san, I want you to -try-. What method you choose is your choice."Â?

He understood quickly enough; that was good. Mai also noticed that he did not immediately say that he would not hit her or that he could never 'dream' of doing such a thing. Ambrose showed more promise in her eyes than he knew. He was willing to listen and able to think.
Ambrose 17 years ago
She was serious. Ambrose decided the elder was nuts, but that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing it was just some thing to be aware of.

Deciding he wasn’t going to back down or try to get out of this he quickly debated his options. He’d lost the element of surprise when he’d questioned her, stupid really, and a straightforward assault wouldn’t work she was undoubtedly far too agile for that. It would have to be a feign then. He’d never been good at those, always gave himself away but he was going to try.

Shaking his head as if in disbelief he made as if to walk by the Elder and deeper into the garden. Once he was with in range though Ambrose quickly flipped his cane so he was holding it at the bottom and the handle could be used as a hook. He hopped to catch Mai’s ankle and pull it out from under her. It was his weakness maybe it would be hers. It was also something he’d never tried before and had no idea how it would work out.
Mai 17 years ago
Mai listened as Ambrose walked past her. It would seem that he had finished talking. Decided to take her up on the challenge then; that was her assumption, dangerous as those were. He was a Hunter at heart. He didn't say he couldn't before so she did not believe he would back down from the challenge without an explanation at the very least.

He was almost fully behind her and just off to one side now. Being blind did have its advantages and one of those was that her senses worked just as well behind her as they did in the front.
She heard the whirl of the cane as it was flipped and felt the air move as it was brought done towards her ankle, handle first. Interesting choice of actions. Thoughtful and intelligent.

Mai jumped and landed again on the same leg, pirouetting around to face him once more.

“Good attempt, Ambrose-san. You are a quick thinker.”

Bringing her foot slowly down, Mai bowed to him.

“I accept you as a member of my Order. Understand that the mind is the greatest weapon and sometimes the worst weakness. You used it well here but earlier you let it defeat you.”

Tilting her head to the side, she asked.

"What weapons do you favor?"

((OOC: Alas, this is what she's good at. Her cultural skills are not so great as was evidenced by her total misunderstanding of the song "Pour some sugar on me" I feel like she's the vampire Miagi or something sometimes O_o ))
Ambrose 17 years ago
God damned it he’d missed. She was fast and a hell of a lot more agile than he was, but Ambrose couldn’t complain it hadn’t been a fair fight she’d kept her word and remained on one foot.

He was fully prepared to be told his attack had been slow and clumsy and so the Elder’s words caught him by surprise. Ambrose was so used to what he couldn’t do, to not being able to do some things, he hadn’t even considered she might accept him. He’d been told before he was his own worst enemy and the Elder seemed to agree with that assessment, he however still doubted it and himself.

Still slightly stunned some instinct in Ambrose made him return the bow.

“Thank you ma’am, but I missed.”

And he’d never been accused of being a quick thinker. He wasn’t slow he was just straight forward, another horizon that could undoubtedly be expanded.

While he’d half heartedly refused her acceptance, he didn’t want to outright confront Mai she was an Elder and to be respected, he answered her question nonetheless.

“A Colt Elder, old habits die hard. I’m not incapable with a rifle either.”

((OOC… lol well we’ve seen how well he does with ‘sensitive topics’ everyone has skills.))
Mai 17 years ago
Mai nodded at his accurate assessment.

"Hai, you missed. I said try."Â?

Walking off the path, Mai knelt on the grass, neatly tucking her kimono underneath her.

" It has been many years for me. I have practiced my art since my human days. As a child, people would tell me that I should not wander away from home. I was always told to be careful, to always have someone with me. I lived alone with my father and he had to go away every day to work. I did not want to stay at home alone with little to do so I would wander outside. At first I had to listen for a time when no one was near our little home and then I move quickly, tapping my staff in front of me until I reached a nearby tree. Our home was on the outskirts of town because we were one of the poorer families. I could spend all day in the woods without anyone noticing. When the air became cool I would come home."Â?

She smiled up at him and patted the grass beside her in invitation.

"I believe it was a very good thing that I never listened to those who wanted me to stay home because it the only place that was safe for the blind girl. My best friend, Faji-kun, taught me how to hunt but listening,feeling and smelling things. He was an excellent hunter."Â?

Mai frowned thoughtfully at the answer to her question. He used a horse? When he mentioned a rifle as well she remembered what a colt was. The loud firearms were not weapons that she used for obvious reasons.

"I do not know much of those weapons but I do understand how they work. Do you have trouble using them now?"Â?

She did not quite understand his reluctance to join the Hunt when his weapon of choice was something that was ranged. Still, being injured was many times a confidence shaker and if he were injured while the weapon was being used then perhaps he associated it with his troubles in some way. Mai had met soldiers who could no longer tolerate the sound of gunfire after some horrible battles and had to give up life as a professional soldier.

Ambrose seemed to want to belong to the Hunt though, so she wondered if he was uncomfortable with his weapons now and did not wish to ask to be trained in others. It was very hard sometimes to admit a weakness.
Ambrose 17 years ago
Ambrose wouldn’t let himself understand, all he could see was the failure. It had been a simple challenge and he’d missed. Of course, she was the Elder of the Hunt and even if he’d had two good legs, he probably would have missed. He forcibly squashed that thought, when did he start making allowances for himself?

Listening to her story Ambrose tried very hard to make it irrelevant, to keep it from applying, he wasn’t having much luck though.

He scowled at the ground and her invitation, this wasn’t going to be pretty, but he awkwardly settled himself on the ground next to her.

“You’re telling me I’m not adapting, I’m staying at home because it’s safe.”

He grumbled slightly as she again needled him. It was harder to dismiss the Elder’s words as she’d over come something similar, hell probably worse. Without his eyes… no –that- Ambrose never would have been able to adapt to.

“No, not at all. I try to keep in practice, I guess you’d call it a hobby.”

Or a passion…

His question confused him, if he was having trouble with his shot then he would truly be unworthy of the Hunt. Even after losing his leg to a gun shot, he still couldn’t give them up.
Mai 17 years ago
She nodded slightly and smiled up at him. How hard must it be to stay home when you've been out and seen things already? Yet the mind made people do strange things and formerly fearless people who never seem to get hurt can be reckless until they are injured badly. Some get back up and do it all again but others find a caution that is smothering to their wild spirit. Some of these never recover and others come out of it to become better than they were, not reckless but not broken.

Mai felt Ambrose did not want to be broken any more.

"Sometimes the house is large and you can spend a lot of time in it before you see it is a cage."Â?

So he did practice with his weapons still. Mai thought this was very good news; though she still did not understand the problem. Perhaps he was a soldier and felt that he should march with the others? Anantya had not used an army in a very long time...but they had, in the past. Today the battle was more personal, one or two people against a similar number.

"Good then you will not have as much work to do. Still I am sure there is much more you can learn."Â?

Sliding the blindfold off, Mai untied it and then used it to gather her hair in a low tail in the back. Turning to Ambrose, she asked.

"What things did you learn when you became one of us?"Â?
Ambrose 17 years ago
That was one way to look at it. It used to be you could ride for days and not see a fence, and you didn’t feel trapped until you did. Perhaps he was starting to see the fence and that was the problem, he just hadn’t found the gate yet.

Learn, that was great. He almost opened his mouth to say something about old dogs and new tricks, but Mai had him starting to think just a little differently. She got him to realize in the grand scheme of things he wasn’t an old dog at all, more a young punk.

“You’re never too old to learn?”

He hadn’t intended it to come out as a question, but it had. Apparently, you couldn’t change old habits in a night.

He had learned though, hadn’t he? Ambrose had been stuck in his mental cave so long he hadn’t considered that. He’d had a good teacher too, not always patient, but good.

“A little bit of everything I suppose. What I was, how to walk again, how to hunt.”

The last one was said with a certain amount of irony. A one legged cowboy on crutches wasn’t what most people would call a hunter, and in that respect he was most people. That’s why they were having this conversation.
Mai 17 years ago
Mai giggled lightly at the proverb, hiding her expression delicately behind a long black kimono sleeve.

"Hai, Ambrose-san, even I learn."Â?

She leaned back and closed her eyes tight wrinkling up her nose in an effort to remember something. Finally Mai opened her eyes up and smiled at him. Humming the tune under her breath and bobbing her head to get the rhythm right, Mai began to sing the chorus of a song she learned.

"Pour some sugar on me
Ooh, in the name of love
Pour some sugar on me
C'mon fire me up
Pour your sugar on me
Oh, I can't get enough "

Shrugging a little, she smiled at him. "Cyrus-san explained it to me. I wondered why Amberelle would want a person to pour sugar on her."Â?

She wondered if he knew the song and helpfully explained.

"It is not to attract flies and though it has to do with courting; it can be sung for entertainment."Â?

Hopefully he would not ask her much more about it because she had not heard the whole song. Nor did she ask more than one or two questions concerning it so Mai did not consider herself an authority on confectionery mating rituals.

Listening to his answer to her question, Mai smiled.

"All good things. I believe you should work as a member of the Hunt. I will test you some more and you will test yourself. If either of us believes you are incapable or not interested then you may leave but if you do not try, Ambrose-san, then you have already failed."Â?
Ambrose 17 years ago
Ambrose did a double take and did his best not to laugh, he managed to cough instead, but he had a huge grin on his face and there was nothing that could be done about it. There was very little that could have prepared him for Mai’s singing Pour Some Sugar on Me it just seemed so far out of character for her. Then what little composure he had nearly flew when she explained the song to him.

Somehow though knowing the Elder would take a stab, intentional or not, at learning rock and roll made Ambrose decide he could try and get his foot under him and start over.

Belle was never going to let him live this down…

“I’ve never liked failing.”

Which was undoubtedly why he’d hesitated, refused, to try. He mulled her words over for a second before nodding decidedly.

“Thank you Elder I think you’re right, so I accept.”

Damned, why did that feel good? It did though it felt right. Ambrose didn’t for a minute except it to be easy but he was tired of not trying.