How Domestic... (attn: Yuu)

It was no simple thing for Tai to put his meeting with Ellis' newest assassin out of mind. He was focused on her now, her agenda, her desires. He felt restless and tightly-wound. It was a state of mind that made him feel slightly off his game, which he didn't like at all. It was almost as if he'd fallen at some point in the last few weeks, and was still speeding toward something at a dangerous rate of acceleration. Not knowing when or where or even how the fall would end was the source of some distress.

Feeding fixed part of it nicely. He was becoming intimately familiar with the back alleys of Nachton and at the same time learning something about his new body. Never having been an alcohol or drug addict, Tai found he didn't like drinking the blood of those who had the same issues. He would; a meal was a meal after all, but given the choice he had been opting for the cleaner meal.

He was learning not to kill as he fed. The urge to drain someone completely was strong, and he had no aversion to murder, particularly the people he used who would never be missed, but he knew better than to leave a trail.

Even after he was sated though, he was still out of sorts. Unbidden, almost surprisingly, he thought of Yuu.

He'd said he'd visit her soon. And just the thought of her name clarified his thinking, made him calm down to where he felt like his old self, if such a thing were possible. The grey haze that had been encroaching upon his peripheral vision seemed to recede as he turned himself in the direction of her highrise.

The coded entry to her apartment was bypassed as easily as it had been the first time; Tai was no computer expert but he should probably tell Yuu that even the most inexperienced thief would be able to get into her new condo.

He was greeted with the scent of popcorn, of all things, as he slid inside the doorway and closed the door behind him.

Like he'd just walked out of a cloud of smoke, he stood there blinking for a moment, as the strangest feeling settled over him and everything thankfully slowed down to normal.

Yuu 18 years ago
Yuu dipped into her fridge as her popcorn popped. Searching, she found what she was looking for and pulled out a real coke. It was tucked far in the back of her fridge, behind potato salad she would probably never eat. This was one guilty pleasure she allowed herself about once a month. A girl's gotta keep her figure.

Wearing a fitted lycra workout tank top and black shorts, she popped open the can and opened up the microwave to pull out the popcorn bag, nearly burning herself. Throwing it on the counter, she took a deep pull from her coke and then set about looking for a big enough bowl to fill the contents of the bag with. Bowl found, popcorn dispensed and coke in hand, she walked out into the hallway leading back to the living room. Turning the corner she nearly collided with Tai and just about dropped her coke.

'Tai! Jesus...how'd you get in? Again?' Still, very happy to see him, she stood on her tippy toes and gave him a kiss on the cheek.
Ichiro Taiji 18 years ago
Tai barely regained his equilibrium when Yuu appeared, looking nothing short of edible herself, big blue bowl of popcorn in one hand and coke in the other. He reached out as she nearly dropped the coke, steadied that with one hand and the popcorn with the other, and felt the beginning of a real smile tilt the corners of his mouth up as she stood on her toes to kiss his cheek.

Returning the gesture and kissing her back he shook his head slightly. "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

Jokes weren't his forte... shit, this entire scene wasn't his forte. In case his humor rubbed Yuu wrong (why should that matter, again?) he offered her a cocky grin and qualified his statement. "Magic, of course."

He grabbed a kernel of popcorn, showed it to her, and then handily made it disappear as if through his fingers. Street sleight of hand, the kind children used to pick pockets and hide what they'd filched from vendors' stalls.

Turning his hand this way and that as if to prove the popcorn was indeed gone, Tai took the bowl from Yuu and peered into it. "Enough for two?"
Yuu 18 years ago
'There's enough for four.' Tai was standing in her living room holding a big blue bowl of popcorn. She pondered this scene and wondered how they came this far in such a short time. Yuu was almost a little unsure of what next to do with him. They either got snarky with other people or with each other or had sex. Here was their opportunity to actually do something else. Something so out of character.

'Did you...want to watch a movie with me?' She held her coke can in both hands and gave him a puzzled look. 'I was going to watch some.' Pointing over to the widescreen high definition tv she had mounted on a stand across the room from the couches, she shrugged naming them off. 'I have...Constantine, The Thing...John Carpenter's of course and,' with a blush and an embarassed cough she muttered, 'Ice Pirates.'

With an small smile she looked at her coke can and whispered, 'I have this thing about committing to newer movies. It's a long story.'

Yuu wanted to feel comfortable doing normal things with Tai, even though that dreaded feeling was creeping up her spine more often than not lately. She wanted something real with Tai, if only for a short while.
He was standing in Yuu's living room holding a bowl of popcorn. If that wasn't surreal, Tai didn't really know what was. He had no prior experience on which to base this particular scenario. He wasn't acting a part, or wasn't trying at any rate. He wasn't killing someone, which was actually a first. And he wasn't trying to get anything out of Yuu, was he?

He paused to consider that for a moment, before deciding no... he wasn't actually trying to get anything from Yuu. Aside from the fact that she made him feel normal and the falling sensation was completely gone.

And she was inviting him to stay, to watch a movie with her. Tai let his features relax a bit before one brow raised to match her puzzled expression. "Ice Pirates?"

He shook his head slowly. "I don't even know what that is."

Realizing he hadn't addressed her intial question he put off the list of movies and returned to that topic. "I'd like to stay," he said. "I was thinking of you, and I was in the area."

Well, that wasn't entirely correct, and he and Yuu had probably had enough of lies between them. "All right. I wasn't anywhere near the area," he said with a wry grin, "but I was thinking of you."

He relieved Yuu of her bowl of popcorn, plucked out a kernel, and offered it to her. "You pick the movie. I already got what I came for."

The words weren't entirely comfortable coming out of his mouth, perhaps because they were, for once, fairly genuine. He offered Yuu a very un-Tai-like shrug and gestured for her to lead the way further into the living room.
Yuu 18 years ago
'Pilfering my popcorn is why you're here? For shame, sir.'

Winking at Tai, she took him by the hand and led him to further into the living room past the formal couches. The apartment itself was very spacious and had enough room for a formal and casual living room. It was into the casual living room they went and settled on a large soft sofa. She briefly considered having her way with Tai during the movie, which brought a blush up her neck and into her cheeks. She snorted quietly to herself, the fact that she was suddenly blushing over Tai was new. The whole situation was new, but she liked it and hoped he did. He seemed somewhat comfortable but a little out of place. How often did killers get a night in with the girlfriend?

Yuu moved some pillows out of the way for Tai and she patted the spot next to her on the couch. Tucking her feet underneath her she picked up the remote and pressed play. He was in the neighborhood, he said - but then really wasn't. How cute was he? How weird was this? She giggled to herself and waited for Tai to join her.
"Times are tough," Tai said, following Yuu as she tugged him along to the more casual looking living area. "First it's nothing but work, work, work, and then your girlfriend turns you over to the authorities and suddenly you can't get so much as a bowl of popcorn without breaking and entering."

Yuu sat down on the couch and started the DVD. Tai hesitated for a moment and then sat down on the couch, legs stretched out in front of him, his hand and arm resting on Yuu's leg. The opening to Constantine began to play and he watched dutifully, although he wasn't paying as much attention as he should.

He was still ruminating over how he'd found himself in this situation. More specifically, what he was supposed to do now. Wasn't he supposed to do something cliche and slide his arm around Yuu's shoulders? He sneered inwardly at that idea. Not a chance. Besides, it wasn't Yuu who made him feel out of place. On the contrary.

Tai settled for idly stroking his fingers over her knee, and helping himself to another nibble of popcorn. He didn't feel hungry in the least, but he had to do something.
Yuu 18 years ago
Yuu gave Tai a hearty 'haha' at the mention of being turned over to the authorities. Sorry sorry, she mouthed as he settled next to her on the couch. As the movie started, she watched Tai out of the corner of her eye just kind of sit there, but with his hand on her knee. Finally she turned and looked at him.

'You have no idea what to do, do you?'

Looking at him now, as if for the first time, she realized how ridiculous this whole thing must've been to him. Add the fact that she knew next to nothing about him. Picking up the remote again, she turned it almost all the way down. She then shifted her position on the couch to face him. She asked the most logical question.

'Who are you?'
A number of responses popped into Tai's head, none of them remotely appropriate for the question that had been addressed as each one was completely off the mark. He regarded himself with slight disgust; he couldn't even sift through his own lies. Not that that was going to keep him awake at night... or by day, as it were, but why did he feel like he owed it to Yuu to be honest?

He settled for a dry laugh, and shook his head. "No. I don't. This isn't something I've done a whole lot of. I could probably fake it, but that wouldn't be right."

Right and wrong hadn't really concerned him much of late, either. They weren't about to... except where Yuu was concerned. He could handle honesty and openness in small doses, he supposed.

The next queston was just as comfortably blunt as the first, and again Tai had to think a moment. When one's girlfriend asked about that, did one reply first with the fact that one was a highly trained assassin, a former member of the Yakuza, or a vampire? Which exactly would be least likely to cause the most problems right off the bat?

Tai turned a bit on the couch so he could mirror Yuu and face her. "You have to be complex from the start," it wasn't exactly a question. What followed was, however. "What exactly would you like to know?"

He had been willing to tell her anything when she'd been in the hospital. He'd been willing, again, when he's knelt in front of her and watched her cry a few nights ago. Tai saw no reason why he shouldn't be willing to do so now as well, but he had to admit to needing a bit more direction.
Yuu 18 years ago
Yuu reached out and tugged on the collar of his button down shirt, bringing it down low enough to reveal his body tattoo. 'That, for starters.'

With a wry smile, she continued to eat her popcorn. She knew what Yakuza was, but nothing about present day Yakuza. Mobsters she figured, the japanese mob. Yuu hoped he'd explain how he got into it and why he did it, but more importantly, what will he do now. She didn't pretend to imagine a long, happy future for them, but she wanted to know who this man she declared her undying love for.
Tai followed the path of Yuu's hand with his eyes as she tugged down his shirt and indicated the vibrant bits of tattoo that showed.

"Irezumi," he supplied the term for the tattoos. "Supposedly long ago they were a symbol for every crime a man committed. Then, eventually, a test of strength and endurance."

Yuu had already seen in great detail the magnificent red and blue dragon that spiraled up Tai's body, from his right ankle around his thigh, waist, and resting its head on his left shoulder. The rest of his skin was covered in smaller, complimentary designs. Thre was nothing unmarked between his ankles and his neck.

Somehow he got the impression that she wasn't simply asking about the tattoos themselves, though, so after a pause, pondering what point exactly to begin at, he said, "I was accepted into the clan when I was eleven years old. My mother was dead, and I never knew my father. All I knew was he was yakuza as well."

It wasn't a sob story, he thought as he scowled inwardly. "I demanded acceptance. I was tired of living how I had before. I escaped, and the yakuza were the only link I had to my origins. They took me in. The clan-father saw potential perhaps. They trained me and educated me. And because I did well, they saw to my health and I worked for them."

Tai wouldn't apologise to Yuu for how he'd made a living. When your options were limited and you had a skill that earned you your keep, you did what was necessary and you thanked your gods or your ancestors or whoever, for giving you the means to survive.
Yuu 18 years ago
One word stood out to Yuu and it affected her so much so that it welled tears up in her eyes.

Escaped.

She remembered clearly the dragon that started at his ankle and went all the way to his shoulder. They were a source of extreme sexual desire for Yuu. Not only was Tai's body perfectly cut, but the tattoos seemed to glorify the power and danger in him. As if he drew strength from them. Yuu had run her fingers over every line on his body and part of her flushed along with the pain of that one word.

'Escaped...from what?'
Tai's eye twitched. He could feel it. Yuu couldn't possibly know what went through his mind when she asked that simple question. That was a life he'd put far behind him, buried in an unmarked grave alongside any memories of his mother. His mouth tightened into a thin line as he recalled greasy hands, sweaty bodies, a garishly decorated 'room' that was nothing more that the tripped-out back of a van. A poor excuse for a carnival, a poorer excuse for a brothel.

"From a life of bondage." That wasn't very informative, although it was accurate, Tai figured. "I spent my first few years homeless. As a beggar child."

It burned to admit that, but that was far less humiliating than what came next. "And after that I was found... picked up, who knows... by a traveling group. I was trained as a gymnast, a juggler. And I was sold every night."

He was clenching his teeth. His terse explanation would be enough, perhaps. He fixed his eyes on Yuu, unwavering, half hoping she wouldn't pass judgment, half afraid she would. To anyone else he might not have cared. Hell, to anyone else he'd never have said half so much. He was beginning to fall again, and the sensation was uncomfortable. Yuu had slowed him down, and he found himself hoping she would be able to do so again.
Yuu 18 years ago
Yuu immediately knew. She had seen too many cases of sexual abuse against children not to recognize that look on Tai's face. Covering her mouth with her hands, she groaned, 'Oh...god, Tai.'

The disgust shivered up her back and she visibly shuddered, then the tears came. The gut wenching feeling hit her like a ton of bricks, knowing now that someone she truly and honestly cared about had to suffer that atrocity. What a fine line he must walk, having lived the savagery and now partaking in it - granted sexual abusers were the lowest of low, even in prison. Child rapists had short lives in maximum security if mingled in with the general population.

Yuu reached out for Tai, unsure how he'd receive her now, but she wanted him to know that it didn't matter to her and if anything, explained more than he'd realize. How easy it was to forgive one man's evil knowing the evil that was suffered against him. She hugged Tai tightly.
Perhaps the story affected Yuu more strongly than it did him, Tai thought as he observed her reaction with something like detachment. At first he thought the disgust on her face was directed at him, but that appeared not to be the case as she was suddenly pressed up against him, her arms around him, getting his shirt all wet.

A brief moment; he tensed with surprise and then put his arms around her almost mechanically. It took a few moments but then he relaxed and stroked her back.

"It's in the past, Yuu."

But even Tai had to wonder if that was so; wasn't it just the other night he could have sworn he still heard a little boy's cries? He shook his head. It didn't matter, what was past was past.

He couldn't tell her it was over, or that it had ended with his running away. Nightmares had plagued most of his teenage years. Tai didn't necessarily want pity, though. Life sucked sometimes; that's the way it went. Like he'd thought before, you do what you can with what you have.

Still it was good to hold her. This sort of thing, Tai could grow to like.
Yuu 18 years ago
Yuu gave Tai a final squeeze and then sat back. She propped her elbow on the back of the couch and rested her head in her hand. She wasn't going to ask anything further about his childhood since it was obviously never something worth talking about, instead Yuu asked more about his future.

'Well then,' she started as she wiped the last of her tears off her cheeks, 'what will you do now? Are you going to stay in the US? I would've thought you would have left by now.'

Was he staying in Nachton because of her? She wasn't so sure since it had been several months since the Ball. He had been somewhere and it had certainly not been with her.
"It's not safe for me to return to Japan at the moment," Tai said simply. "It may never be." There was nothing really coloring his words... he hadn't quite thought about this, himself. He certainly couldn't tell Yuu about Ellis, and it would be wrong to embroil her in things more by being completely up front. Not only that, it would endanger her and Tai was done fighting with the idea that Yuu didn't matter to him. She did, very much.

"I have the means to stay here while I consider my options," he said carefully. "But in all honesty there's more reason to stay than there is to leave. I just have to figure out what comes next."
Yuu 18 years ago
'Am I one of those reasons?' Her smile, she hoped, was as warm to him as it felt to her. 'Because if I am, should I be expecting more late night visits? Will I have to get you your own drawer?' She gave him a sly look.

It was an odd feeling, having hope for her and Tai. She wanted him in her life - granted he was a killer and now a wanted man, she still loved him in her own way. Yuu was fairly certain that Tai knew that's how she felt, but if he didn't, she was more than happy to show him.

Her hand reached out and took his. Their fingers entwined and just felt right. It occured to her that at some point he would leave the country, maybe for good and she felt absolutely no compunction about leaving her life behind for him. It shocked her momentarily, but then there was nothing about Tai that didn't.
Back to simple questions and simple answers. The life-story business was a tiring one, and Tai was glad for the easy stuff again. He ticked answers off on his fingers as he gave them.

"Yes to the first, if it pleases you to the second, and as for the third I do travel lightly but perhaps half a drawer...?"

Tai rearranged himself on the couch so he had his back to the arm. He observed their twined fingers for a moment before smiling softly and tugging on Yuu's hand, pulling her down to rest against his chest and wrapping his other arm around her. With his toes he reached out and tapped the remote close enough so Yuu could reach it and turn the volume up, but he knew, as he suspected she did, the movie didn't really matter. They weren't paying that much attention to it, and he didn't intend to start.

((ooc: Tai and Yuu out))