Porcupine Lessons (Private: Attn Ambrose))

Ysabel opened her sleepy eyes and looked around at a sight that was becoming familiar. A brass bed, definitely not her own. Familiar beige carpet on the floor, sheets in earthy colors. The two nightstands on either side of the king-sized bed. A bit of color in a pool of deep red and gold on the floor... her dress, she realized with a muzzy smile.

She was nestled in Ambrose's arms, a place she was coming to know well. She shifted gently, careful not to disturb him as he snored lightly beside her. Tenderly lifting one of his arms, she slipped out from his unconscious embrace and settled the blanket back over him before the draft woke him.

Ysabel padded, shamelessly nude, into the living room. She turned toward the little bar and turned on the coffeemaker, feeling a little thrill of pride in her newfound coffeemaking skills. A few nights ago she'd prevailed upon Dayle to teach her the mysteries of making coffee and she was eager to treat Ambrose. She knew he liked it strong... hopefully Dayle's idea of strong and Ambrose's ran along similar veins.

It had been almost a week since they'd met at Heolfor and since then they'd been nearly inseparable, save for Ysabel's spending time with Dayle and starting her new job. Ysabel had only managed to convince Ambrose to navigate the stairs to her rooms once, but she didn't mind spending her days with him in his rooms. She did feel a little guilty about taking up space in Heolfor and not using it as much as she'd intended.

Looking around, though, she smiled. She liked Ambrose's suite. Ysabel frowned as her eyes fell upon the dining room table, which was hopelessly cracked right down the middle. Apparently it hadn't been built to hold their weight. She ought to buy Ambrose a new one. A sturdier one.

When everything was set and working properly (she thought), Ysabel returned to the bedroom and lifted the blanket, turning onto her side to face Ambrose. Nuzzling her nose to his and leaning in a bit, she brushed her lips over his and proceeded to wake him with a series of light, gentle kisses.

((ooc: Coffeemaking skillz courtesy of the twin!))

Ambrose 17 years ago
Muttering unintelligibly at a slight draft he'd reached for Belle, but she hadn't been there. His sleep addled brain figured two things out, one she was around here somewhere, she hadn't run off on him yet and two her pillow made an OK substitute. It was soft and smelled like her, not as good as the genuine article but enough to keep him asleep.

Last night was probably the first night together where they hadn't torn or broken something, but that fact didn't keep him up all hours of the day. Belle did, but that was another story.

The smell of coffee began to effect his dreams and wake him up slightly. Determined not to be disturbed he'd burrowed deeper into the bedding, well what was left on the bed any way.

"Mmmmmm."

That was the genuine article, soft, sweet and warm. He tossed the pillow behind him and made a very un-subtle grab for her, burring his face in her neck.

"I'm supposed to wake up now?"

Even that growl into her neck had a clearly teasing tone to it.

Part of him wondered where the coffee smell was coming from, the other part didn't care, it was busy.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Half an hour later Ysabel was thankful Ambrose had the foresight to own a coffeepot that would keep the coffee warm once it was done brewing. She gave him one last, deep kiss, looked around in slight wonderment at the disarray they'd made of the bed (again), and slipped from his arms to move around to his side of the bed. She felt a little shy asking, but it seemed to her that putting the prosthetic on just to have a cup of coffee before the shower was a lot of work, and she didn't see any crutches or anything in Ambrose's bedroom.

Ysabel stood in front of him and held out her arms as if expecting a hug (which she was, but she had other ideas too). Knowing how prickly he was regarding his missing leg, she wasn't sure he'd take her offer well, but she wanted to offer nonetheless.

"I don't suppose you'd rather lean on me than use that? For now, anyway?"

They didn't often sit around long before heading into the shower, but Ysabel was learning that without coffee, Ambrose was far more inclined to be snappish and prickly. She did suspect, however, that the way she woke him up went a long way toward easing that as well.
Ambrose 17 years ago
Maybe he'd just stop making the bed, it never seemed to stay neat for very long and that had to be upsetting someone. Not him of course, they had tremendous fun making a mess of it.

Having returned the kiss and made his reluctance to leave the bed subtly known, he lay there lazily watching her as she walked round to him. He'd been propped up on his elbows and half planing to tackle her when she'd made reference to his leg.

He was getting better... sort of... slightly... a bit... about it; at least around her but it was still very probably his least favorite subject. He frowned, he could but it on, it wouldn't be that bad, and it was sure more dignified than hopping about. Finally he sighed and gave a curt nod and stood, sliding his arms around her waist as he did so.

"We can give it a try. At least you're better looking than my cane."
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel felt a moment's hurt as her pride was prickled at the thought of being compared to his cane, but she brushed it off as morning grumpiness. Her eyes were wide and a little sad when she looked up at him, but as his arms slid around her waist she smiled easily in spite of any hurt feelings. "Let it not be said that my cosmetics haven't been put to good use."

She made light of his surliness even as she turned so he could slide his arm around her shoulder. Ysabel liked to think, after that, that it was her training in dancing that made it possible for her to alter her steps so they met with his odd gait. It took her a few wobbles, but she picked up on the trick of moving with him and supporting him down the hallway without getting too far ahead or behind.

It would take practice, but most things did.

Ysabel had headed for the dining room table until she remembered it was broken. She altered their course and saw Ambrose to the couch before getting two mugs and filling them with coffee. She added a generous amount of sugar and cream to hers and then brought both mugs to where he sat, settling beside him.

Maybe she wouldn't tell him it was her first attempt to brew coffee until he tried it.
Ambrose 17 years ago
God damn it, he was going to have to learn to keep his temper under control. She was trying to help. Of course that was the problem, he didn't want help. He wanted to be able to do this himself, and he could for the most part it just wasn't easy. Other cripples could cope with this, why couldn't he?

Ambrose sighed and swallowed the guilt he was feeling. She should know he wasn't really upset with her. At least She was graceful and able to help him to the living room without incident.

He couldn't figure out why she'd angled for the sofa rather than the table, until after she brought the coffee. When he did remember he half choked on the coffee from laughing.

"We did pretty much ruin that didn't we? And I still can't find some of my sheet music."

The coffee was strong and that small ritual started him back on track. It wouldn't stop him from saying the wrong thing, but it -might- make him think about it.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel's moment of hurt feelings was forgotten in light of Ambrose's laughter. She knew his grouchiness was because of his leg, not because of her, although she hadn't necessarily enjoyed being compared to his cane. She had far more personality.

Ysabel glanced at the table and affected a haughty air. "What you need is a more solid table. We should find you one."

It never once occurred to her that perhaps they should simply restrain their lovemaking to more appropriate pieces of furniture. Obviously the solution was to find a table worthy of such abuse. Ysabel was perfectly fine with the fact that she and Ambrose were both of a similar hungry nature in that regard. She suspected he brought it out in her, but nonetheless she couldn't get enough of him.

Curling up beside him on the couch she sipped her coffee and decided it wasn't too bad. Ambrose had yet to spit it out, and he didn't look green yet either, so she thought it might be all right to confess.

"I've never made coffee before. I had Dayle show me how the other night." She gave a little frown. 'I still can't make a spoon stand up in it."

She knew it was just a figure of speech, but a little part of her still did wonder if it'd turn into sludge if she made it strong enough.
Ambrose 17 years ago
He was barley able to restrain his laughter at the idea that this could all be fixed with a sturdier table. Maybe they should shop for one together and try them out, make sure the dimensions were comfortable and was sturdy.

"Maybe we can arrange for in home trials of the tables."

When she announced she'd made the coffee he looked at it, slightly suspiciously. Now that he thought about it this was the first time she'd made coffee for them. Trying another swallow he debated it.

"You'll never get a spoon to stand up in it if you keep using filters. But then again I've gotten used to not having to pick grounds out of my teeth afterwards."

It wasn't exactly high praise, but he did slide an arm around her and kiss her. Ambrose suspected she learned how to make coffee for him and was suitably impressed and flattered even if he didn't say so.

Not having met her sister yet, of course they really hadn't had time being often other wise engaged, he was now able to wonder about the absent sibling. What must she thing about a sister who showed up in a strange city and then half disappeared with a strange guy. Although after six hundred years it was more likely Dayle would know what to think and would only be suspicious of him.

"I haven't met you sister yet."
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel chuckled into her mug at the idea of getting a home trial for a table. She had a quick vision of sending back broken table after broken table with an attached "shoddy workmanship" note. Her snobbish side found the idea more than appealing.

Observing Ambrose's skeptical expression when she revealed her virgin coffeemaking skills, she hid a smile when he critisized it. Over the last few weeks since meeting him, Ysabel was coming to realize that there was a great deal of difference between What Ambrose Said and What Ambrose Meant. She was chagrined for not picking up on it so quickly; her life at court had revolved around those sorts of games, and the only explanation she could possibly give was that for once her feelings were very much involved and, like the comment about his cane a little while ago, Ysabel's vanity sometimes came first.

When she had a chance to reflect, she realized it was probably because of her life that she really didn't mind, and even liked, her lover's surliness. So with that in mind she looked past his slightly biting words and saw what he meant, which was the arm around her waist and the gentle kiss bestowed upon her lips. "Think before you speak" was a part of the education that had been lacking for Ambrose, she guessed, and as long as she kept that in mind and remembered to measure his actions instead, it was almost impossible to be offended. Even if she was barely better looking than his cane, it had been her shoulder he had trusted to lean on this morning.

Ysabel wriggled a bit closer on the couch, setting her mug down on the table and giving a happy sigh at the feel of just the two of them, sitting naked on the couch and enjoying a lazy evening. Wrapping her arms around Ambrose's waist and pressing her head to his chest she closed her eyes and smiled.

"I'm sorry I haven't introduced the two of you," she replied when he mentioned Dayle. "It seems there are a few things we've been putting off that we'd meant to do. I would love for you to meet her. Maybe we can go over to the condo later tonight?"

She absently let her fingers wander back and forth over his side as she spoke, for the simple pleasure of touching.
Ambrose 17 years ago
Continuing to drink his coffee Ambrose decided he was fond of coffee filters. So much more practical and enjoyable than just grounds and water and he didn't care what anyone said the egg shells did not add flavor. They were just annoying when you swallowed them

Hmmm, how had that coffee table stayed whole? Probably something to do with its placement in the room keeping it safe. He'd give it another week before it bit the dust as well. He wouldn't have noticed it at all except for her setting her coffee down.

Letting Belle curl up on him Ambrose absently draped an arm around her shoulder, his fingers grazing the soft skin of her neck. He was actually glad she was rather demonstrative, because he wouldn't have been and then they'd both miss out on this.

"I don't think we've put anything off."

Just their riding, meeting her sister, actually going to the opera, just little things like that. Still, it wasn't like they never went out it just seemed to be more casual and spontaneous. Which was fine by him.

"So I'm not a deep dark secret after all? Sure busts my balloon. But that sounds like a good idea, I'd like to meet her. Will she be in?"

Ambrose had an odd preconception of the upstart clan and had trouble picturing any of them having any roots or a home or any stability at all. Still Dayle would have sister and six hundred years of existence, that should at least warrant furniture.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel loved when Ambrose brushed her neck like that; he did it often, almost unthinkingly, and it gave her pleasant goosebumps. With a happy 'hmmm' she smiled and replied, "No, you're right. We've done all of the good stuff."

They certainly had almost fallen into a routine together, and Ysabel didn't mind. She didn't have to be a magician to figure out that Ambrose didn't, either. They'd been enjoying each other's company, and why not? She couldn't be anything but thrilled by the turn of events. There was the little bit of guilt for not having spent as much time with Dayle as she meant to, but her sister ought to understand. Even so she resolved to be more attentive, although she didn't know how Ambrose would feel about her spending more time with Dayle and less with him.

"If I had any deep dark secrets, rest assured you'd not be one of them. That might require discretion and I'm not inclined to be discreet with you," she teased. As if to prove her point, she let her hand wander into less discreet territory and placed a soft kiss in the hollow of Ambrose's throat.

In truth, they had been entirely discreet when outside the bounds of either of their private rooms. Ysabel was learning, slowly, to lose her formal manners around Ambrose, but that did not extend to outside their private areas. While they weren't trying to hide their attraction or their relationship, they were doing their best to be quiet about it in public as was only proper.

"I can call Dayle from here if you don't mind my using your phone, and ask her if she'll be around."
Ambrose 17 years ago
Discretion was a matter of time, audience and perception. She was always polite, considerate and engaging in public and even though neither of them flaunted the relationship it didn't lesson the sincerity or the passion.

In private, as evidenced by that less than subtle move, Ambrose could swear she'd never heard of the word 'discretion'. The private and... creative... side of Ysabel was not something he could even have guessed at when they first met. It was almost like dating two separate women.

He made a soft rumbling noise as she teased; part warning (if she kept that up they would -not- be going out tonight) and part anticipation (he had never claimed to be subtle).

"No I don't think subtlety is something you've ever been too burdened with."

How she kept her wits about her he didn't know, but as Bell's attention had turned to her sister he settled for kissing the top of her head.

"If you promise not to break it the phones all yours."

It was a cordless and if he ever left the handset laying around it would probably be crushed in a matter of hours. But at least the bruises would clear up fast.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel didn't bother to point out the fact that she had quickly learned subtlety was entirely lost on Ambrose. It would have been rude to do so, so she simply smiled her knowing little smile and continued to trail her fingertips over his skin. Although she was far more candid with him in private, she still wasn't as open as she could be with her sister. She had surprised herself, however, by feeling so comfortable so quickly with Ambrose. Even with their little misunderstandings here and there, she knew she was a good deal more open with him than with anyone else with the exception of Dayle.

Fairly certain her light attentions were distracting him, she felt a little spark of mischief and continued to do so. Ysabel had said "later tonight" after all, and that left a good deal of room for interpretation.

"One might argue it was you who technically broke the table," she murmured. "I'm quite certain it would have supported me alone."

She traced the pattern of muscles across Ambrose's stomach, made a little circle around his navel, and then returned to her previously unscheduled activity. She wasn't really thinking about the motions, just letting her hands fall where they would.

"I did say I would call her later. There's a lot of time between 'now' and later,'" she pointed out softly.
Ambrose 17 years ago
That earned Belle a very circumspect look. It wasn't his fault the table cracked. Granted most dinning room furniture wasn't built for acrobatics or serious stresses but still.

"If you hadn't been -on- the table I wouldn't have had to come after you."

No mention of the fact that he had been the one who rather enthusiastically guided her to the table. Of course Ambrose would argue that was her fault as well. After all she had been more than a little tempting and flirtatious. Apparently him venting about a poorly played armature concert in the park had been a great source of amusement and one thing had lead to another... Since he hadn't liked that table much it was no great loss. But the way she was going she going to break the coffee table as well, and he did like it; but not that much.

He finished his coffee in one gulp and set the empty cup down before nudging Belle until she was lying on her back and he was draped lazily on top of her his thumb tracing her collar bone.

"Funny how fast 'later' passes with you around though isn't it?"
Ysabel 17 years ago
"Oh. You're right," Ysabel conceded. "It was entirely my fault for being up there."
Before he could look either smug or surprised at her concession, she qualified it with another... "Of course, if I remember correctly, it was your hands lifting me up there to begin with."

This was too enjoyable to stop any time soon; she and Ambrose teased and flirted like champions and Ysabel thrived on it. Her wandering fingers had apparently made an impression, judging by the way he'd downed the rest of his coffee... and was now arranging himself quite comfortably as he eased her back onto the couch bit by bit.

Their nights were amazingly leisurely... if their frequent bouts of aerobics could be considered leisurely. Ysabel only worked a few nights a week, and when Ambrose was between gigs it was nothing but free time for them both.

"Does it pass so quickly? I hope not too quickly," she said sincerely. "I savor every minute I have with you."

She couldn't have been more solemn, although there was a soft smile on her face. Ysabel had never had a lover like Ambrose. There was nothing about him she wasn't coming to care deeply for, from his gentle touches right down to every last prickly, surly inch of him.
Ambrose 17 years ago
"Let's not get carried away here, after all you'd been rather... suggestive before you got up on that table."

It was a silly argument and there was no sincerity to, it was all done in fun; a tease to keep things light. But in keeping with his part he did assume a smug air, because after all he was right.

Right or not this teasing almost lead to the breaking of more furniture. Fortunately the couches were able to handle the strain, although between the two of them they had probably done something to negate the one year warranty. And it was very fortunate the shower had sliding doors or they would have wound up on the floor, not that they hadn't been there.

Extremely satisfied... er clean and using the wall for support Ambrose rummaged in the hall closet for clean towels. Some how he never had the opportunity to plan ahead with Bell around. Returning he gently tossed her a towel before quickly drying off and wrapping his about his waist.

"You do savor every moment don't you?"

His eyes glinted playfully at her. They both savored every moment as near as he could tell. To the point where it was a wonder they got out of his rooms.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Catching the towel Ambrose sent her way, Ysabel dried her body and then set to work on her rope of dripping hair. It was amazing just how much fun the shower could be when one employed a convenient bit of levitation. Ysabel didn't use her abilities very much, usually just for practical purposes, but they had come in... handy... this evening.

She favored Ambrose with an impish little smile, pecked a kiss on his cheek, and headed out to find her dress before changing her mind, poking back into the bathroom, giving him a fuller kiss on the mouth, and then finally making her escape. She hated wearing the same dress twice so she would have to return to her rooms and change before they went anywhere. Ysabel had pondered bring a spare set of clothing down to Ambrose's but that was far more forward than she was prepared to be with him. Perhaps she was somewhat lacking in subtlety where he was concerned, but there were certain lines she would not cross without being invited to do so.

"I need to run and change," she said, glad she'd worn a very simple houppelande that required nothing but being belted in place. She'd chuckled to herself when she realized she was regressing in her dressing habits, choosing the earlier styles that had no stays or laces, since being with Ambrose. It had been an easy decision, after his impatience with her gowns had resulted in a total of two torn stays and a ruined corset. Not that she minded, but she figured she might as well save him the frustration.

"What would you like to do tonight, other than see if Dayle will be in?"
Ambrose 17 years ago
It would have made sense for him to go back into the bedroom and get dressed, but then he couldn't have watched her. So he stood there slightly damp. He sulked for a second when she only gave him a peck, at least that was corrected and he could think about getting dressed.

His balancing act got him into the bedroom well enough and he was staring to tolerate Ysabel seeing him in this light. That wasn't easy for him, but she was so understanding of it; of him not wanting to acknowledge it, not forcing the issue and in general just being her that he was adjusting. Still the first thing he did was to put his leg on before dressing.

"Belle why don't you just keep somethings down here. No point in you rushing up and down stairs all hours."

And need less to say he wouldn't be rushing upstairs.

Ambrose did his best to make the suggestion sound casual, something in passing, but he was more than slightly interested in her answer. He grudgingly admitted to himself that the answer was extremely important, more so than what they did that evening. Although he disguised it by continuing to dress.

"There's always furniture shopping."
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel looked up at Ambrose in surprise. Sometimes it amazed her that he often seemed to be following her thoughts. Amazed her in a good way, of course. She searched his face with wide blue-grey eyes for a moment, as if gauging the level of seriousness. He hadn't exactly asked her to move in, but was that next? Like... a mistress?

No, no, not like that at all, but after 600 years of thinking one way, sometimes it was tough to remember to think in modern terms! Didn't any steady girlfriend have a ready supply of clothing at their boyfriend's home?

She'd have to ask Dayle. Dayle would know these things.

Then she blinked again. Was she Ambrose's... girlfriend?

Well of course, she thought, feeling sort of foolish. What had she thought they were doing these past few weeks? She had never actually had a boyfriend. Since her last marriage had ended, in 1910, Ysabel had only had a few dates here and there. Nothing like what she and Ambrose were doing.

She was suddenly in uncharted territory, and the realization made her blush. "I... ah, I hadn't thought about bringing anything down here. Are you sure you'd... want that?"

A little part of her told her it was probably good for Ambrose to have to climb the stairs now and then but she let it pass.

"And furniture shopping would be... wonderful." Domestic, and surprisingly couple-ish, but wonderful. Ysabel was biased though. Any excuse to spend time with Ambrose was a good one.
Ambrose 17 years ago
He saw the blush and both smiled and frowned in concentration. Seemed like an odd thing to blush over if you asked him. So he limped over to the closet to pick out a shirt. He actually picked out one with color, blue, light blue with a white pin stripe and while collar and cuffs but when paired with jeans it looked dressed down.

"Of course I'm sure" He spoke mostly into the closet "I wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it."

Her next words, however, immediately caused Ambrose to contradict himself. He hadn't meant he wanted to go shopping, that had been a joke, irony, a reference to his broken table but more how it got that way.

Turning rather quickly he mis-buttoned his shirt but didn't notice.

"We could go and ... ... see a movie maybe. I think there's some old black and white thing playing at one of the artsy theaters."

He'd fumbled and was desperate. He wasn't a huge movie fan, not at the theaters any way, but shopping was even less of a good idea.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel finished the simple knot on the belt of her houppelande and glided across the room to re-button Amrose's shirt with deft, gentle fingers.

"I could bring something down here, I suppose, just in case." She didn't want to read too far into it. He might just be thinking of convenience, but if he wanted her to have something to wear down here, she would be agreeable.

As she finished the last button, her fingertips just brushing his collarbone, she looked up at him with a curious expression. Hadn't he said once before he wasn't much of a movie-goer? Perhaps he was just in the mood for one, and in retrospect, Ysabel was fairly certain that shopping for a table would involve a well-lit store that would hurt her eyes and give her a headache.

She had meant to check on her new property, see how the tenants were getting on in their move and say hello to her mares but she could do that tomorrow. Ysabel may have been a little more relaxed around Ambrose, but she was still trained to be obedient and agreeable.

"A movie would be fine as well," she said, carefully neutral. "Whatever you'd like." Her smile was genuine; it never occurred to her that studied acquiescense was not what every man wanted. As far as she knew, Ambrose was just like any other in that regard.