Testing...one, two, three...

MARI! Nic wondered if he needed to get Val clearance through MARI, before she left the lobby. He considered asking Theo, then decided against it. It wasn't like he was a teen looking for his parents permission. No such covenants had been presented to him when he moved in, so he couldn't believe it was mandatory. Yet a part of him felt it would still be a good idea.

Taking Val's hand again, he moved towards the elevator, and stopped at the door.

"We have a pretty sophisticated security system here...I think I should probably have you meet MARI, before we head up."

Still just a bit skittish about MARI, Nic closed his eyes and spoke.

"MARI? Hey...it's me, Nic...I've got a guest for you to meet."

MARI 17 years ago
MARI turned her attention away from the lego sorting going on in the lobby and the other things she was working on to listen to Nic. A security scan of his companion had already been done when she entered the building and a member of the security team knew that Nic had an unidentified guest.

"Yes, Nic?"

She appeared in a dazzle of blue lights on a nearby wall, her features settling into a pleasant smile of patient expectation. Turning to Nic's guest, she said.

"Welcome to Meridian. I am MARI."
Valentine 17 years ago
Not that she minded the quick detour, not much, but moving to the elevator was a good thing.

Nic was very lucky Val was used to moving quickly to keep up with much taller men, and women, otherwise he would have left her in the dust.

Curious about the security system Val looked for a desk, a monitoring station, cameras and the usual. She expected that, maybe extremely high tech and expensive, but nothing too far out of the ordinary. When Nic started speaking to the air she raised an eyebrow at him. He was nuts.

So she was totally unprepared for the appearance of… of… a woman?

“Unreal.”

Holy smokes the wall seemed to expect a response so Val smiled politely at it… her… it.

“Nice to meet you Ducky, I’m Val.”
Nicholae 17 years ago
Not at all surprised by Val's surprise, and in fact he was impressed by her composure. He remembered the confusion he felt when he first met MARI, and saw Val exhibited none of it.

Letting his hand slide to the area on her back, between her shoulder blades, Nic focused on MARI for a few seconds more.

"Just checking in with ya, old girl. Wanted to say hi...introduce the date...you know...the drill."

He really had very little idea what he was rambling on about now, but felt good that he had done at least this much. He certainly didn't need any more black marks on his Evenhet record.

"If you don't need anything from either of us though, we'll be heading up to my suite."

And as if on cue, the elevator doors opened. A quick backwards glance at Theo and Aaron, and Nic was ready to depart. Was MARI ?
MARI 17 years ago
MARI blinked once at the woman and her greeting. She added the name to her guest files along with her association with Nic and then forwarded the information on to the security team on duty.

She then took the miniscule amount of time necessary to ponder why Val called her ducky. MARI did not believe that there was very much likelihood that she would be confused with a semi aquatic avian. Therefore it must be slang. A quick search found that this was so. Very good, she understood.

Nic's statements also required looking up. Old gal? She was neither old nor technically a gal, though she could understand the reason for the latter analogy. Curious, Nic had never referred to her as old before. MARI's psychology information caused her to ponder whether or not the change was due to his being in the presence of a date. Interesting. Perhaps he was afraid Val would be jealous?

The drill... obligatory standard procedure.

Nic's residence was not high security and he did not appear to be in any danger. Val also did not appear to be a threat to the building. If she were a threat to Nic then that was something he needed to communicate more adequately, otherwise it would seem to be a risk of his own choosing. Looking at them both, she replied.

"I need nothing further, at this time. You may 'blow this joint."Â?

With that flatly intoned approval given, MARI blinked from the wall.
Nicholae 17 years ago
Her dismissal of him and Val caught him off guard and he chuckled, as he guided Val onto the elevator and pressed number seven.

"Thanks MARI!" He tossed back as a good bye, and winked at Val.

"She loves me...has a terrible crush on me...you should feel very lucky that she didn't zap you with her xray and turn you into a pile of dust." He said in the most serious tone he could, maintaining the most serious expression he could muster.

"Blow this joint.." He repeated and chuckled again before the doors opened onto his floor.

Still guiding her along, he removed his hand when they reached his door, and he opened it before her. As he followed her in, he again considered he really did need to buy some pictures, or plants...maybe a model motorcycle or something to set out and give some indication that he lived here.

If nothing else the place was spotless. The cleaning crew had just been there earlier, and had done their perfect job of putting things away, in places he would probably never find them, and removing the dust from the tables and shelves.

"Please...you can make yourself at home here, or come into the kitchen with me and tell me what you'd like for a nightcap."
Valentine 17 years ago
‘Blow this joint’ that was rich and Val found herself giggling. Neither computers nor security guards (at least while on duty) were supposed to have a sense of humor and good lord the way it had been said. It had sounded so very off it just made it all the funnier.

She trotted along with Nice glad they didn’t meet any other distractions along the way. Given the state of his digs he was very prone to being distracted, so distracted he didn’t actually live there. The place was so sparse it looked like a cell.

“Make myself at home? You mean like you’ve done.”

She waved her hand indicating the emptiness of his place while following him into the kitchen.

“What have you got?”
Nicholae 17 years ago
"Yea...sorry about that. I've got a ton of ideas on how I want my hotel to look, but can't come up with a thing to do with this place. At first it didn't matter because I hadn't planned on staying long. Then it didn't matter because...well I had other things on my mind. I guess I really should hire someone in to do something though...even I'm starting to think I don't live here."

Opening the icebox, Nic checked...

"Beer, wine, soda...tomato juice, cranberry juice, tonic, a couple mixers..." Then going to the cupboard, he continued... "Vodka, bourbon, scotch, gin, tequila, rum...got some irish whiskey if you'd like coffee...or I have plain coffee. Not much to eat, but plenty to drink."

The two bags of blood he kept on hand were tucked in the lower cripser, sufficiently hidden from the casual viewer. Those he didn't offer up.

"Name your poison. Will any of that do?"

And with his best disarming smile, Nic turned to Val and waited. She was a very fine looking woman...
Valentine 17 years ago
‘Not much to eat’, that made Val smile. It wasn’t like Nic could keep his meals in the fridge, maybe some reserves, which she couldn’t see in her casual glance, but not his every day meals.

“How about a Highball?”

She would have asked about a Boxcar but given the state of his refrigerator that didn’t seem likely.

Tossing a glance back at the empty apartment, Val nearly laughed out right. Such an exclusive address and such an empty place.

“Why don’t you higher a decorator? You could even use your apartment as a type of audition so if you ever get your place off the ground you’ll have an idea who to higher for that.”
Nicholae 17 years ago
"Highball...highball...whiskey and ginger ale?"

Not that Nic was a bartender, and knew everything, but he had been around in Hollywood's heyday, and knew enough.

As he asked Val to confirm the recipe, he squated down and looked in some cabinets and found an unopened bottle of ginger ale.

"Eureka! I've found it!" And almost exciting as finding a treasure, Nic jumped up and set it on the counter before filling a glass with ice. Once he had added the whiskey and ginger ale, he handed the glass to Val, and made one for himself. Then gesturing to the couch, he waited for her to sit. He opened the heavy black out drapes, and then turned off all the lights but a tall floor lamp that cast a soft glow around the room. The city lights were visible from Nic's apartment, and the view was amazing. But his eyes remained on Val.

"How is it?"
Valentine 17 years ago
Nodding cheerfully, she watched with some amusement as he rummaged about. Apparently even the decorating challenged had the occasional can of ginner ale about, it was apparently one of the basic elements of food and of convincing others you were somewhat human.

She giggled slightly as he emerged victorious she watched him mix the drinks. It was an odd drink and she half wondered how old he was that he’d know something like that without a recipe.

“Thank you.”

Following him to the sofa, she watched impressed with the view. She had curled lazily on the sofa, her perfect posture never faltering. Val hadn’t made up her mind how far she was going to let him get. She was, after all, still keeping a few secrets. He, however, seemed to have a plan. Carefully keeping her lips closed she offered an engaging smile without breaking eye contact.

“The drink is good and the view is brilliant. But why do I get the feeling that’s not what you’re talking about?”

It was second nature to tease and bait. It kept things interesting.
Nicholae 17 years ago
Still almost certain Val felt the attraction between them, Nic studied her for a moment as they sipped their drinks. Not an intellectual marvel, he wasn't stupid either, by any means. But at the moment he couldn't say he wasn't confused, and feeling a little squirrely.

That he felt as if he'd also been studied a little this evening wasn't unusual...that's what people did on dates, getting to know each other. But whereas Mauve, Alexandra, and Addison had been completely up front, and honest...well, okay, maybe after just the tiniest coaxing, and only as honest as Nic could assume...Val seemed very involved in another agenda.

And horny or no...intrigued or no...Nic now knew there would be nothing further coming out of the date tonight. He just couldn't risk it. If he was allowing himself to be pulled into something crazy, yet again, Nic knew Kem would find out...and worse, find a way to kill him, for sure. Vampire or not.

"No...honestly, all I was asking about was the drink. But I'm game for hearing something else if you've a mind to enlighten me. I'm glad the drink is good...since I did have a little to do with it...as for the view...its just something that's always there when I open the drapes at night. But wherever you reside...I'll bet your view is every bit as beautiful."

And alright, that time there was a little innuendo thrown it...but just a very small bit. Nic guessed it might be impossible for him to spend an entire evening without at least a tiny bit of teasing.
Valentine 17 years ago
She laughed lightly at his teasing, hinting. It was nothing terribly serious but that was all for the best.

“The view is all right. But its good to get out… to see different things.”

Val couldn’t help but wonder if she’d rather unintentionally put the breaks on the evening. Granted she’d half intended to do that herself, but she’d also anticipated Nic making at least half a pass once the lights were dimmed. It was almost required on a first date.

In a slightly reckless move, she leaned in suddenly to kiss him. Yes, he would very probably realize she had fangs but she was willing to risk that right now. The sofa provided for a more level playing field than the parking lot had, he was still taller but it didn’t hinder her actions. Having pressed her luck as far as she was willing, Val sat back.

“Different is good. Don’t you think?”
Nicholae 17 years ago
"Variety...yes, variety is good...until you find perfection. Once you've found that, who needs variety? I guess in a way its good we rarely find perfection. But I still know its there, somewhere, and until I find it, I'll keep looking. I just hope when I find it, I recognize it. Sometimes I think that's where we screw up."

And sipping his drink, Nic wondered how in the hell he had gotten so philosophical all of a sudden. It was nothing like him normally.

He had little time to wonder much though, as surprisingly Val kissed him. And he quickly forgot all about views and variety and philosophys, putting his all into the kiss instead.

As he'd noticed at the parking lot, Nic was sure now that Val had fangs. And he intended to try something with them, but she pulled away from him before he had a chance. The woman was quick!

"Okay...different is good...for somethings." He winked, and then leaned close and recaptured her mouth, sliding his tongue between her lips and seeking the fangs. This time, when the kiss became even deeper, as he withdrew his tongue Nic scraped it slightly against Val's teeth, and a small trickle of blood mingled with their tongues. He did not react though, and instead he was the one to pull back, and sip his drink while catching his breath.
Valentine 17 years ago
She wasn’t at all surprised when Nic chose to respond by initiating a kiss of his own. Rather than melting into it she met him head on. As she tasted his blood Val knew the game was up. There was no way Nic couldn’t have noticed the fangs. And while if he had just seen them she could pass them off as genetics, once he knew how sharp they were there was no explaining them.

She sat back as well, finishing her drink in one long swallow. She felt a surprising pang of something. Not conscious, no not that at all, but something else. For a brief moment she smiled quite broadly, flashing her fangs, letting him know they were now both aware of what she was.

“But sometimes things can be too different.”
Nicholae 17 years ago
What game she was playing was still to be determined, but while Nic might not be a rocket scientist, or whatever that thing Kem was...he wasn't stupid. He now was certain Val was older than she looked, what he still didn't know was if she was a rogue, which seemed highly unlikely, or belonged to another clan.

"Too different? I guess you'd know." Cause now he was lost again. She was a vampire, and he was a vampire, he now knew about her, and she must have known about him. Surely...she knew about him. Then again, she was a woman...what the hell did he really understand about them. Must not be a lot, or he'd be pleasantly ensconced in a relationship...wouldn't he?

Shaking his head, Nic stood and walked over to the windows.

"You do know what Evenhet is, don't you...Tacharan, Anantya...you must have thought I was a real schmuck when I was going on about them being like the Masons...or Lions Club."

He wasn't upset, really, and especially about feeling foolish. Nic and foolishness had come to terms. Maybe it was all the dancing around she'd done now seemed like such a waste of time. But then that would be judgemental on his part, and Nic wasn't really like that either. He just didn't know what he felt...or what to say...so...he just kept staring out the window.
Valentine 17 years ago
“All of the above.”

Val confirmed when he asked about the clans. She’d been the one to play dumb, she’s outright lied about who she was, her affiliation, knowing about the clans. Why should he feel bad about that.

“I wouldn’t say that.”

A sly teasing smile slipped into place.

“Well not entirely.”

It wasn’t in Val’s nature to be reassuring and actually some of what he’d said she found down right funny.

She didn’t know what to make of his staring out the window. Still, Val figured the ball was in his court. It would be easy enough to show herself out if that’s how things went down at this point.
Nicholae 17 years ago
Turning and leveling his gaze directly at her's, Nic put a hand in his back pocket, and held his drink still with the other. He still didn't know exactly what he was feeling, but whatever it was, it wasn't a good feeling.

"If not playing 'watch the dupe fall', what was the reason behind all the cloak and dagger? It wasn't like I haven't been pretty open about myself. In fact, when did you know about me...earlier at dinner? The other night at the pub...back at the Piazza that first night?"

And then at the absurdity of it all, Nic started to laugh.

"I was just going to say, if it weren't for the absurdity of the situation, it might be funny...but it is funny."

Sitting down in a chair across from Val, he rubbed his face and hair with his hand, and then looked back at her.
Valentine 17 years ago
Val cocked her head considering, trying to remember when she’d first suspected.

“I’ve suspected since you ran into me in the garden. I’m not quite sure when I decided I was right.”

Why he was so upset, and she took leaving her on the couch alone to be a sing he was upset, was beyond her. This sort of misunderstanding should be relatively common, unless he was newly turned. Maybe he just hadn’t gotten used to not knowing.

Surprised by the laugh she smiled slightly. He kept changing gears and she found it rather disconcerting.

“There was no cloak and dagger. I’m just a little more cautious with some parts of who I am, even if I suspect my date is in the same boat. That and you seem to have issues with Tàcharan.”

And on that note, Val stood and returned to the kitchen to mix another drink. Nic was very probably going to have some words on that, or need time to adjust.
Nicholae 17 years ago
The gardens...and Maeve...Nic sighed.

"Yea, well, if the ex-leader of Tacharan hadn't been out to kill my ass, for mistakenly having some fun with her familiar, I might not feel quite the same way. Yet I seem to have an inate failing for being drawn to you Tachs. So much so that I often wonder if I wound up in the wrong clan."

But no, he didn't really feel that way. Everyone in Evenhet had been great, and he seemed to get along so well with them all. With one possible exception...the one exception to his falling for Tacharans too.

When she rose, he thought she was leaving. When she went to get another drink, he was surprised. Joining her, he refilled his own, and stood leaning against the counter.

"But I didn't say anthing about the Tachs back in the garden...so it must be you're just a lot more cautious than I...which isn't a bad thing, obviously. Everyone's different. I just have bad luck with playing games so I try to be above board whenever I can. Another reason why I left Hollywood and came to Nachton. Being with ones own kind makes hiding unnecessary."

Maybe he shouldn't worry so much about getting into her pants...skirt...and just get to know her. Fast fucks like Alexandra were so much easier...maybe he should stick to those...and let the heavier relationships remain platonic. It wasn't like Val was ripping his pants off anyway.

Man...he needed to talk to Kem.

"Did you know Ellis?"
Valentine 17 years ago
Val lightly hopped up on to the counter she was far enough off the ground that her feet easily and freely swung back and forth.

Hmmmmm… he’d fallen in bad with Ellis and over a familiar. That wasn’t the wisest course of action ever, in fact she deemed it down right reckless. It made her wonder a bit about Addison too though. She turned over possible scenarios in her mind ultimately deciding that she was glad she hadn’t been in the middle of it.

“So how many of us have you been caught with?”

Sipping her drink for a moment she then set it aside and took to fidgeting with her ring.

“We all need to hide, even here. I was surprised you essentially announced yourself. Its something I don’t think I could ever do, after al you can’t be too careful.”

Even now she was leery of having let know what she was and which clan she belonged to. It opened her up, he knew something about her that Val kept a closely guarded secret. She’d been taught to do so years ago and had continued with that wisdom.

“Not particularly well.”

Hardly at all. She’d arrived in Nachton not long before the raid and Ellis’ death, but didn’t want to elaborate on that point.

Still, on some level it felt wrong to be sitting here having a drink with someone who’d crossed a line like that. Messing with another vampire’s familiars was wrong, there was no other way to look at it. However, she reasoned if Tàcharan was holding a grudge against Nic, she’d know. So perhaps it wasn’t as wrong as it could be.