How Not To Look A Gift Horse In the Mouth - (private)

Ysabel was struggling with her unpacking once again, only this time she didn't have Dayle there to help her out with it. She'd been tossing boxes haphazardly out onto her little balcony as she unpacked each one and the pile was growing in leaps and bounds. She figured she'd throw them out soon enough.

Sliding the doors open one last time she tossed one more box onto the stack, making a little noise of dismay when it tumbled over the others and kept on going right to the ground. The urge to simply float it back up to the balcony was strong but she didn't know who might be wandering around who shouldn't be. Her room overlooked a lovely bit of grassy lawn, and she certainly couldn't just leave the box out there.

So, feeling fairly safe in leaving her door unlocked, she left her suite, descended the stairs with her skirts lifted up arond her feet, and walked quickly outside. She tiptoed through the grass; a fair amount of condensation had already gathered on it and she tried her best not to make a mess of her gown and slippers.

Retrieving her wayward box she glanced around, saw no one, and tossed it back up to her own balcony with a bit of assistance. Then she made her way back around and into the Manor again, sliding through the hallways back to her suite with the little bit of hesitance born of unfamiliarity.

Ambrose 17 years ago
He'd gotten stuck in New York for a few days, he'd gotten a call from the studio that they wanted him to fill in on a new album. It was a brand new band, no names at all; hell Ambrose had more of a reputation than these guys. They sounded good though, he was pulling for them.

With that over an done he could start to figure out where to take Belle next. It was proving more of a challenge than Ambrose had thought it would be, and he wasn't sure why that was.

Cane in one hand and guitar case in the other he made his way through the halls Ambrose was absently humming one of the slower tunes they'd done the night before. Seeing a familiar silhouette he blinked, he must be seeing things humans didn't just wander around the manor; not without a very good reason.

"Take a wrong turn somewhere?"

Of course if that weren't Ysabel he'd come off like a fool, but if it were...
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel stopped, stunned into a standstill by a very familiar mellow tenor voice. She turned to the right and saw, sure enough, Ambrose's figure standing at the corner of the hallway she was in and another one. Confusion reigned but she did her best not to let it show... was he a familiar already? People who knew nothing about vampires didn't just wander aimlessly into the Manor. He must be.
"Not that I'm aware of," she said carefully, her delight at seeing him somewhat diminished by the realization that if he was someone's familiar, she had no business dating him. Her heart sank.

"Althought it's been a while since I was last here, I might have forgotten how to get around by now."

She left the ball in his court, as it were. Ysabel was wildly curious. Whose familiar was he?
Ambrose 17 years ago
Ambrose was extremely close to just down right laughing, as it was he had a very satisfied smile in place. She was a vampire, same as him, and yet he'd been worried about hurting her. This did explain the out dated dress and the formal manners though didn't it?

No one could call either of them less than discreet though, could they? After all he and Ysabel had fooled each other.

"I remember my way around though. Can I get you something, properly welcome you home?"

It did put a new spin on things, but at least he wouldn't have to worry about explaining his hours to her.

The idea that she might be a familiar floated through his mind, but was quickly dismissed. And since she wasn't he was free to pursue her.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel lifted her eyebrows slightly. He was either unconcerned about his loyalties... or... the possibility was remote, she supposed, but could he be a vampire? Missing a leg? Did that even happen? She'd never heard of it. Unless of course, it was missing before he was turned. Or was the cause of his turning. She was undeniably confused.

And given her interest in him, it might be best to clear that up.

"Ambrose." She lowered her voice, even though there was no one around. "I can't tell you how happy I am to see you here, of all places. But I must know, particularly before I take you up on that. Are you... free to do this?"

The idea of his being a vampire was... more than appealing. Ysabel had never once been with one of her own kind in any more than a friendly or family way. And if that was where she and Ambrose were headed... the idea made her smile.

She shook herself out of her daze and nodded to the guitar case in his right hand. "It looks like I should be the one doing the welcoming, at any rate... but I'm still in the process of organizing."
Ambrose 17 years ago
Free to do this? Ask a lady for a drink? Did he need to be getting some one's permission that he wasn't aware of, maybe she had some additional rules he wasn't aware of. Ambrose frowned perplexed, trying to work out the meaning of her question. It didn't for a second occur to him she might have considered him a snack or a familiar even though he'd had both those thoughts about her.

"The last time I checked I could still ask a lady home for a drink."

Seeing the meaningful look she gave his case he half shrugged and smiled temptingly. It wouldn't do for her to say 'no' now.

"I'm unpacked, I was just out on a gig. So I promise limited clutter at my place, besides if you're unpacking you could use the break."
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel was slightly frustrated now. If having a temper tantrum would have been ladylike, she would have thrown a first-class one. This point wouldn't matter if there was no attraction between them, but she wasn't even going to try to deny that. Very well then, apparently subtlety was lost on Ambrose tonight. She mentally pulled off the kid gloves and moved to stand in front of him.
At this point it was fairly obvious he wasn't a familiar, or, if he was, he had to be the worst one ever. Ysabel would never have tolerated a familiar being overly... ah, familiar, with another vampire. She still had a very well-defined sense of right and wrong, and to her it wouldn't have been right to proceed without knowing 100 percent that she wasn't in someone else's territory.

"What I meant," she said softly, a low purr rather than the strident screech she might have been tempted to voice if she were alone, "was that you're a vampire, as I am. It's... hard to believe, I suppose. An almost unbelievable coincidence."

She crossed her arms and smiled up at him. "I hate to be so blunt. But you know how it is."

Ysabel wanted him to say yes and confirm it. She wanted to be free to accompany him back to his place, have a drink, see where he lived and what parts of his life he chose to surround himself with.

Perhaps it was slightly cruel, but she was definitely inside the boundaries of personal space, since he had his hands full. She was watching his face intently, waiting for his lips to form words of affirmation, hoping he would continue that smile that made his eyes crinkle up at the corners just a bit.
Ambrose 17 years ago
She was so damned close it wasn't even funny and Ambrose was keenly aware that his hands were full. He'd very much have liked them full of something else but dropping everything in the middle of the hallway was probably not good manners.

Between her physical proximity and seductive purr he almost didn't hear what she'd said and when he did hear it Ambrose wasn't sure how to feel about that. It was one thing to thing he was a human but another to mistake him for a familiar, he felt. And found himself borderline insulted. Even if he -had- been a familiar he'd have more sense than to run off half cocked and go flirting and other wise pursuing another vampire or anyone else for that matter.

Of course it would be the leg. It had to be. In his relatively few years he'd never met another vampire missing a limb; one missing a hand and one a few fingers but never an entire limb. His jaw tensed and his shoulders straightened for the few seconds he considered all of this. It wasn't Ysabel's fault he was a cripple and it wasn't worth the temporary satisfaction of shouting if it chased her off.

"Coincidences happen. I promise you're not in any one's territory I am my own."
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel stood her ground while she watched Ambrose bristle up like a tomcat. It wasn't difficult to figure out what was going through his head. She wanted to think she would have been insulted too, but there was no protocol for this! How was she supposed to know what to say or what to expect? She'd never once met a vampire who was missing anything, much less an entire leg. She thought no less of him for it, obviously, but it did lead to some confusion!

Ambrose's words were clipped and curt after that. She frowned. So. He wasn't entirely happy about his own state. Understandable, but then again he was alive as he could be and obviously able to take care of himself. She didn't move from where she stood in his way, knowing that he wouldn't drop either the guitar case or his cane. She had him with his hands full and she was going to take advantage of it.

"I'm sorry, Ambrose," she murmured. "I didn't mean to hurt you."

She stood on her toes then, raised her hand to his cheek and gently touched it with her fingertips. Then before he could object, she leaned in and lightly brushed her lips against his.

"Please forgive me."

She had momentarily lost his smile, and for that she wished she could retract her uncharacteristically blunt words. But now she knew for a certainty what he was, and also what troubled him some. Perhaps time would replace both his smile and his good humor.
Ambrose 17 years ago
Surly and standoffish, that's what he was being and there really wasn't a call for it. Ambrose knew that, but there was a difference between knowing something and acting on it. For as long as he'd been without his leg, he should be used to it; used to stares and questions and confusion. He was unpredictable with his reactions, some days it could be brushed off and some days he took it personally.

Belle didn't deserve that, she needed to know if she was stepping on any toes. The apology was reflected in his eyes. Her light kiss made him feel like an ass for reacting the way he did.

"I guess I'm still a little prickly about it."

The words "I'm Sorry" didn't exactly fall off of Ambrose's tongue. They weren't a large part of his vocabulary.

"Maybe we both need to be forgiven on this one, if you're still up for that drink?"

If his hands hadn't been full... If he hadn't gotten cross... Lots of 'ifs' there. He was hoping she'd let him slide on this one and they could try again.
Ysabel 17 years ago
A little prickly? Ysabel had met porcupines that had nothing on Ambrose. Tactfully she just smiled and shook her head.
"It's all right."

The urge to wrap her arms around him was very strong. That would have been going too far though. She was afraid she might have pushed him away with her forwardness. He was probably inviting her along to be polite; she would have done the same under the circumstances.

Ysabel simply acquiesced and fell into step beside him. It would be cowardly to lose her nerves and decline his offer and run back to her rooms, but embarrassment over her behavior made her want to do just that. Instead she just kept up her sunny smile and looked up at him while they walked.

"So where were you playing? Anywhere close by?"
Ambrose 17 years ago
He had to work to shake off the feeling he'd some something very stupid by letting his temper catch up with him, and with his hands engaged he couldn't offer his arm or other wise offer a better apology. But at least she was willing to take him up on his invite, if she hadn't he'd be forced to chase her down.

Leading them through the halls, Ambrose was again thankful for ground floor rooms. He'd never make it upstairs with a guitar.

"New York, I got stuck there longer than I'd planned too. But these guys are good so it was time well spent, although I'm sure I could have found better uses for the second day."

His smile was genuine and intended to be flirtatious; it had worked before and he still owed her an apology.

They hadn't quite reached his rooms yet when he paused and turned to look at Ysabel directly.

"Have you and your sister gotten a phone yet?"

It was odd but he still didn't have her phone number and apparently Belle would be keeping more than one place, which seemed a little odd to him. Maybe it had something to do with her sister. Sister? He would have to find out about that, but it would wait.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel had never been to New York, but she'd been to some other big cities and figured they were all pretty much alike, so she nodded as Ambrose talked. When he mentioned better uses for the second day she laughed softly and relaxed a little... apparently he wasn't too angry with her.
"Perhaps sometime I'll travel up there myself and you can suggest some uses for my time."

When he turned to ask about the phone, Ysabel nodded happily. "Just yesterday. Of course, Dayle has her cell phone, but I don't have one. I can give you the number if you'd like it, as soon as I have something to write it down on."

She grinned up at him. "You'll still have to meet her sometime. We're really nothing alike. Everyone seems to expect us to be exactly the same."
Ambrose 17 years ago
"I doubt even your twin could be much like you. You seem far too special to be duplicated."

That was a fine idea; they could go to New York together. Ambrose would love to take her about and through the odd neighborhoods he'd gotten to know during his stays there. He filled the idea away for future reference.

"Still I'll look forward to meeting her but more important I'll get that number from you."

He set the guitar down so he could unlock and open the door and turn on the lights. His rooms were very straightforward. Despite his origins she didn't have much of a Wild West or cowboy feel to them. Two large over stuffed sofas upholstered in a soft beige fabric, formed an L around an entertainment center. The unit was big but not huge and made of oak, but had clean sleek lines. In front of one window there was an original Remington bronze, a magnificent piece showcasing the balance that Remington was famous for as horse and rider were all balanced on one foot. A steel and glass table with four chairs around it was off to one side. The table was covered with sheet music and one of the chairs was turned so he could play. There was an amp with headphones plugged into it under the table and a music stand next to the table, practice made perfect after all. Two guitars hung on the wall behind the table, one on either side of one of his last wanted posters and an empty guitar stand sat in the corner, obviously awaiting the return of the instrument he carried with him. He had no kitchen or even kitchenette; Ambrose did not cook or often eat. So all he had was a well stocked bar and a coffee pot.

Gesturing that Belle should precede him Ambrose followed her in and immediately put his guitar away.

"I promised no clutter. I didn't promise a great household, but make yourself at home and what can I get you?"
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel couldn't recall having told Ambrose she and Dayle were twins, and then she realized he was just using it for comparison. Oh, it would be funny when she introduced them and he realized they actually were twins. She almost laughed out loud.
She wanted very much to look inside his rooms, but as soon as he opened the door Ambrose flipped on the lights. Ysabel had the misfortune to be looking straight into the frontmost room at the time, and the moment it had gone from pitch black to bright, she'd fallen back with a little wince, shading her eyes.

Try as she might, she couldn't look into the room with that bright overhead light on. She knew some vampires with the same affliction as she were able to stand normal light, but Ysabel was incredibly sensitive to it, particularly when it went from nothing to well-lit in the space of a second.

She didn't want Ambrose to think he'd caused her pain, so she hesitated a moment and tried to hedge into the room just looking at the floor.

"Ah... water is fine. Or wine, if you have any." A gun, perhaps, for that one light? Ambrose must have a firearm somewhere. It would come in handy right about now.
Ambrose 17 years ago
Not being a big wine drinker Ambrose had to cop out on that one. It was probably the one drink he didn't have, but he would pick some up if she enjoyed it. It would be nice to have some about for her. Of course that meant that he'd need wine glasses too.

Taking a bottle of water from the small fridge he added some ice to a glass and then poured himself a whiskey, just a small one before making his way to the sofas.

Something seemed off, and this time it wasn't his attitude. Ambrose handed her the water. It was impossible to not notice her looking at the floor.

"Something wrong? Another headache?"
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel made it in, but now her eyes were watering as they tried vainly to adjust to the light. Ambrose handed her a glass of water and she groped for it a moment then held onto it like it was a lifeline.
When he asked her if her head hurt, she was about to answer in the affirmative before she remembered with a little bit of a start that he was a vampire as well. She'd grown used to thinking of him as a human.

"The light," she said. "I can't see well when it's bright."

She tried to look up at him, as it went against her nature to look down when speaking to someone, but her eyes refused to do anything but squint tightly closed as tears ran down her cheeks. Ysabel laughed even as she cringed, her face turning red once again.

"I'm sorry. It's all right, I'll adjust." Well... that was something of a lie, but she didn't want to put him out. Not everyone really wanted to stumble about in the dark all the time.
Ambrose 17 years ago
He was surprised to hear it was the light, but she'd had a similar reaction at the ballgame, even though it wasn't quite as sever that time. But then they'd been mostly out of the lights there. Ambrose shoved his glass in her other hand and switched on a lamp that sat on one of the end tables next to a sofa. That would light the room enough that he could see but would allow her some relief. He then shut off the over head light.

"Better?"

With her hands full he was able to take advantage and kiss her properly, it was about time he greeted her correctly, much as she'd taken advantage of him with his hands full. Taking his drink back Ambrose continued to by leading her to one of the comfortable couches and sitting down guiding her to sit next to him.

"So how close have I been to being dinner?"

He cut right to the chase, figuring at this point his thought patter had been very close to hers. Wouldn't they have been surprised to take a bite out of each other?
Ysabel 17 years ago
When Ambrose's immediate reaction was to turn off the bright light overhead and turn on a much lower one on an end table, Ysabel felt a distinct rush of relief followed by gratitude. Slowly, the little explosions behind her eyelids receded and she took her first good look around what looked like a typical bachelor-pad to her. Plain, simple, neat with a spot of 'lived-in' clutter here and there, and a beautiful statue over on the other side of the room that she would love to take a closer look at later.

For now though, Ambrose was asking if it was better, and she nodded. "Yes, thank you." Her hands were occupied with both glasses, and she was pleasantly surprised when he exacted his revenge on her in the same way she'd cornered him previously, before taking his drink back.

Before she knew it she was sitting next to him on an incredibly soft and comfortable couch, and giving him grin that was something of a cross between impish and shy.

"You went from potential snack to 'far too interesting for just snacking' fairly quickly. I was... considering other options."

Of course, the fact that he still looked tasty in an entirely different way was something else altogether. The thought of it, combined with the fact that she was sitting here on his couch, alone with him, made her bite her lip just a bit.

"I suppose I must not have crossed your mind at all, hmm? For snacking, of course. Or... other things."

If she'd considered turning him, or making him her familiar, had he thought the same? Or had she just been dinner? Not that it mattered much, but she supposed she was as curoius as he.
Ambrose 17 years ago
Hmmm alone in his room low lights and beautiful woman, this evening was getting better and better. Especially when she smiled like that. He took a sip of his drink as she responded.

While he'd found her thinking he was a familiar insulting, mostly insulting any way, the idea that he'd been tempting as a snack item was sort of cute and laughed, a low soft chuckle at her admission.

"A beautiful lady wandering through a garden alone in the middle of the night? No, I'd never have considered making a meal of you."

The teasing grin on his face made it blatantly obvious he wasn't being honest on this point. She had been a potential entree.

Watching her bite ever so slightly at her lip Ambrose was extremely tempted and wound up giving into that temptation. Leaning forward he kissed her again, gently, softly but relishing the action. Sitting back up he again smiled.

"But I've always liked between meal snacks."
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel found herself enjoying Ambrose's moodiness. In the space of less than half an hour she'd seen him prickly, insulted, concerned, confused, teasing, flirtatious, and regretful. She wondered if the constant changes were just how he was, or if it was something about her, or him, or both of them, that made him that way. Whatever it was, she wished she could be as open as he was. Years of training when she was young had taught her how to conceal all of her negative emotions, never to disagree, never to argue, always to be cheerful and amenable. And she did like to be sunny and cheerful, but sometimes she wished she could do what Ambrose did and just be herself.

His teasing made her grin in return, an expression that quickly vanished when he leaned in toward her and kissed her again, lightly, this time on the lips. He tasted warm and spicy, a hint of whiskey still there. Before she could register more than that he pulled back again.

"That was hardly a snack," she pointed out a little breathlessly. Fortunately breath wasn't a huge concern for her. "Even a snack needs to be a bit more substantial."

She set her glass down, then moved his out of the way as well. That finished, she leaned in herself, raised her hands to either side of his face, and met his lips again for an encore of the first kiss, her thumbs stroking the line of his jaw with feather-light caresses.