Humility?

Frowning, Dawn didn't quite know what the fuck her maker was on about with this message task thingie. Earlier in the evening, she cracked open the first of several sealed envelopes - lessons of sorts, she was certain, but...what the fuck. Going to a Moon Garden and paying respects to the statue of a goddess in which she didn't believe seemed pretty stupid. Was prolly to teach her some respect or some nonsense. There were other things on the list too, but the statue thing was the bit that bothered her.

Riding her "liberated" wheels (she'd hopped the fence at a long term parking area and at a junkyard and swapped parts to create a new and "legal" bike without the normally traceable serials - not her favorite ride - a smallish Kawasaki crotch rocket, but it got her where she was going and was electric blue, so it matched her hair) she pulled up alongside Vesper Gardens. "So. This is the famous night blooming moon garden of the Vampire nation. Ok, kinda neat. Everything's all glowy." Walking through the gardens, she circled inward in the pattern Ko had set for her. At certain points, she was instructed to look through certain arches, smell certain plants. All in all, it wasn't that bad. Most of the stuff was interesting in a non-interactive way, but still.

Then...the Huntress. Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt, patron of midwives, militant virgins, sudden death, an executioner of the Greek Pantheon. She was one crazy bitch. Killed Orion for sleeping with Dawn, killed Ariadne because Dionysus said so, offed all sorts of folk at the whim of her brother.

As a goddess of the hunt, Artemis represented a strong symbol for what Dawn wished to become. Strong. Controlled. Swift. Sure. Merciless. She was also at odds with Dawn's namesake, however, and similarly characterized aspects that Dawn had no interest in. Midwifery. Virginity. Silence. Stepping over the divider, Dawn walked into the center of the fountain to look up more closely at the face of the Goddess. Frowning, she knelt down in the water...which was really fucking cold (this one couldn't wait until August, huh asshole?), and looked up.

Well. Um. I'm not too good at this kind of shit, but you seem like a chick who'd like cut straight to the chase. Anyway, I'm Dawn, hope you don't hold my name against me. Pops wants us to be on good terms, since I'm a Hunter too. I think that is a pretty good idea. Uh...if there's anyone off limits or like...something you want me to handle for you, that's all good. Uh. Yeah. Well, I guess that's it.

Sitting in the water a minute longer, Dawn rose and exited. Weird tradition. She wondered if any other Anantya ha gone through that or if Ko was just a very special breed of ritual BS-loving old man. Slicking the water off, she started walking back through her route.

Nicholae 18 years ago
Smiling, Nic hadn't had so much fun since arriving in Nachton. He had just pulled back into Nachton after picking up his new Ducati Monster 695, and the trip from New York had served to revitalize his spirit. Damn but he had missed riding.

Once he had reached the Nachton city limits, Nic had stopped, and pulled off his helmet. The main reason he had worn it on the highway from New York was to avoid being pulled over. But something told him he would be safe to ride without it now. And he hated helmets.

So, even though it was late...the sun having set hours earlier...he had his Oakley Half Jackets, and they kept shit out of his eyes. He just had to remember not to smile while he was flying down the road at 110 miles per hour, and all was good.

Swinging into town, he rode by the gardens, not really expecting to see Maeve, or Val, but thinking it might be worth the few minutes it would take to pass by. As he drug his feet, he did see they weren't on the bench, so he pulled the bike up onto the path and coasted through the garden. As he neared a fountain, he stopped and watched as a younger girl was getting out of the water, and talking to someone. Peculiar. She reminded him only slightly of Theo.

"Hey...Dawn is it? You taking your friend with you?"
Dawn Ratana 18 years ago
As she clambered out of the fountain, she realized there was a lookyloo...on a bike? The sound that she'd taken for a superbike up on the road turned out to be a much closer, quite different model. Cocking her head, Dawn thought out loud.

Mmmmmm... Ducati 695, named Monster. Hybrid race cruiser, designed to lure more folk into the market for life. Tame enough for a beginner, appreciated most by a skilled rider. Comfortable sweep for a taller rider. And still shiny.

Running her wet hands through her hair, slicking it back into its electric blue racing stripes, Dawn realized the man had spoken.

Oh, what? Nah, Artie ain't much for chattin' now days. She jus' sits in th' fountain t'make sure no boys get fresh up in here, like a good protector of young virgins. You best stay on that bike or she might get the wrong idea from you, sporto! Oh! Dawn, yeah. 'Sides, her ass is to big for my twinkie ride. I'd gotta bring a huge ass towing rig to get her out on the town...no worries, though, she's got some pretty wild friends - I'm sure she don't get too bored.

Paying attention for the first time to the rider, Dawn sized him up. He sat his bike much more comfortably than a weekend rider...comfortable lean, maintaining balance instinctively. Not a beginner. But he was a little too pretty, and sat it like a movie star. Prolly a fairy. Though...maybe not, riding around the gardens on a road bike. Hard to say.

So who're you and where we ridin'? Mine's just up th'hill. Jus'a temp 'til th' real deal shows.

Walking once around the bike in her wet jeans, she popped her black and electric blue racing jacket on. Slipping onto the bike behind him, she slipped her arms around his waist. Smiling, she realized he smelled like he'd been riding for several hours. Ooo...hardbody. For a moment she wondered if Artemis wanted her to kill him - that whole "divine communication" kick. Probably not. He hadn't gotten fresh, and he seemed like fun.

Let's git me to my little crotchrocket an' we'll figure from there.

((ooc: permission to come aboard from the captain))
Nicholae 18 years ago
Nic grinned, not sure what to make of the girl. She seemed tough, and yes, a bit odd like Theo, but that was about as close as the two seemed to be.

He had no clue who the 'Artie' was she'd been talking to, as he'd seen hide nor hair of another sole since he'd brought his bike into the garden. But he nodded, as if he did understand, and let it go. Maybe he'd find out eventually.

"Nic...Lache...and who're you to be riding with me?"

He glanced in the direction she indicated her bike was, not too surprised to hear she rode. Especially when she geared up, and slid behind him like 'she' owned the bike.

He wasn't sure what a crotch rocket was, but he was dying to find out, so once she had her arms secure, he kicked it up a gear and spit gravel.

"You ride eh? Seem kinda young. What's the age for bikes in this state anyway?"

Not that Nic cared a whit...he just wanted to see if she knew...or cared.

Her bike wasn't far, and he looked it over as he neared it.

"So that's a crotch rocket, eh? Looks like what we used to call a rice burner. Had her long?"
Dawn Ratana 18 years ago
Laughing into the back of his hair at his "who the hell are you" response, she whispered past his ear.

Oh, y'know y'love it. Or yer Balki and jus' love th' spotlight. Either way, we sevens.

Waiting until his questions were done, she managed not to interrupt. It hurt, but it was doable. She might even be learning something.

Ya, I ride. Older'n I look thankyouverymuch. Part'a being so short an'all. No clue what the law has to say abou'it...or mucha anything else, for real, but they gotta catch ya to give a ticket and shorty handles well. Atta guess, say 18 though, so all good. Heh. Rice burner? You're datin' you'self, old man. Eighties style and shit. Same dealie, sho. And no. Finished'er up a couple'a weeks ago. Got the final knocks out and altered some'a the shit parts. She's mostly Ninja 500, which ain't bad, ain't great, but there's other marks, too.

Popping off the back of the bike before he'd stopped, Dawn walked over to her own ride. She missed her super, but she just hadn't had an opportunity to swap in for one out here, and swiping art like that just seemed wrong. The 500 had a sweet ttwr, and that was best when getting used to a new place - fast change and tight handling over most surfaces. This'd do, for now...until she got the lay of things and a real ride.

Grabbing her helmet, she pulled her spare transmitter out. Walking over to Nic, she smirked. In a slightly slow, mocking tone, she asked

Does the old man know how to arrange one of these? If not, kiddo can help out. Just don't put it right over your mouth - I dun wanna hear your heavy breathing or nothin.

Clicking her own on, she slid her helmet on and straddled her own machine.

Didja 'member t'turn it on?
Fallon 18 years ago
He really had to hang on her every word, just to make sure he actually heard, what he thought he heard. And though he really wasn't 'that' much older than she was, he had a feeling she'd quickly make him feel it.

"I'm glad she handles well...she should have something going for her."

The bike really was a sad piece, but if it worked for the girl, that was all that mattered.

He wasn't sure he bought the fact that she was all of 18, but as was Nic's way, he didn't dispute it. He was fairly certain he was getting a headache though. The girl could talk faster than he could ride.

"Can the old man crap, if you don't mind...something tells me you 'are' a lot older than you look."

Nic chuckled, and took the head piece from her. Honestly, he really wasn't certain how the thing worked, but he could see the part that went into his ear, and once he had it situated, the other part seemed in the right place for talking.

"All right little mama...where to?"
Nicholae 18 years ago
He really had to hang on her every word, just to make sure he actually heard, what he thought he heard. And though he really wasn't 'that' much older than she was, he had a feeling she'd quickly make him feel it.

"I'm glad she handles well...she should have something going for her."

The bike really was a sad piece, but if it worked for the girl, that was all that mattered.

He wasn't sure he bought the fact that she was all of 18, but as was Nic's way, he didn't dispute it. He was fairly certain he was getting a headache though. The girl could talk faster than he could ride.

"Can the old man crap, if you don't mind...something tells me you 'are' a lot older than you look."

Nic chuckled, and took the head piece from her. Honestly, he really wasn't certain how the thing worked, but he could see the part that went into his ear, and once he had it situated, the other part seemed in the right place for talking.

"All right little mama...where to?"
Dawn Ratana 18 years ago
Laughing, she nodded at Nic's dubious look.

Hey! I'm Han Solo, bitch! May not look like much, but I've made some special mods myself. And it is just a temp rig, anyway! Damn, foo! But this light little baby can still grip over linoleum, won't crack tile, and is light enough to ride up an escalator...perfect for a mall ride or scaring the piss outta the security at like a electronics store or somethin' with those big ass double auto doors...I'll be keepin' her even after my baby gets out here.

Laughing again, she said

Ok, no more old mannin' ya. Guess you're old enough to feel it but not lookit. Fair 'nuff. Well, if I'm THAT much older'n I look, let's hit a bar or roadhouse'r sumthin'! Fuckin' grubbin here, what, and you're buying, so s'all good. Oh, but need to hit a laundrymat or somethin on th' way so I can get me new pants. Artie got these soaked!laundry mat
Nicholae 18 years ago
Reeling...his mind was totally reeling, and he still wasn't sure exactly what she was talking about. But she wanted to ride, and he wanted to ride, so ride they would.

Problem was, he had no earthly idea where a laundromat was. At least he did know WHAT it was, so off he headed, away from the gardens, and towards a more residential area of town. Surely there would be places where people could wash their clothes there...?

"So what is your 'baby', and when do you get it?"

Nic's other bike, hopefully, would be delivered to the Towers tomorrow. The guy Val put him in touch with, Geoff, had been great in arranging everything. Nic didn't need to even think twice before accepting both bikes either...he couldn't be happier to have them.

"Testing? Dawn...do you hear me?"
Dawn Ratana 18 years ago
Slaloming the center line, Dawn listened to the question. The baby. The precious.

She's a Yamaha...yzf-r6 super with a replated exhaust for extra peggin. Runs like a dream. And yeah, I hear ya...was just daydreamin' a sec. Oo! Think there'sa up ins, I'll take lead.

Gunning her little engine, Dawn did a quick low turn onto a side street. She'd seen signs for a college that she'd recognized, and knew there'd be one near here. Sure enough, just shy of campus in the Greek section of the residential area, she found what she was looking for. Powering down her bike, she walked in quickly - she'd already seen a sorority chick who was just a little taller than her, and would have to do. Leaving her helmet on, she waked straight to the bathroom and listened. A couple of minutes later, it sounded like the girl was pulling her clothes out of the dryer. Shoes in one hand, pants in the other, Dawn walked out behind the girl, trading the pants for some in the right side as she did her folding. A couple of frat boys saw what had happened, but were too busy ogling to say anything. Back outside, Dawn slipped her new, toasty warm jeans on, pulled on her wet shoes (she'd tossed the socks) and popped on her ride as the girl took out her earphones and looked around to figure out what had happened.

Sorry 'bout the detour. All set. You're on point again. Grub next!
Nicholae 18 years ago
Nic was beginning to wonder why he was even around, at this point. Dawn was quite a character, but beyond that, she had quite an independant spirit, and wasn't at all afraid to go with it.

He admired her, actually, for the way she was able to just go where she had a mind to, not caring if he, or anyone else followed.

When they arrived at the laundromat, Nic remained on his bike, but did shut the engine off. He figured it would take her at least twenty minutes to dry her pants, and didn't give the circumstances of the drying a second thought. As self reliant as she was, Nic just knew she'd have thought this through, and have a plan in mind for the process.

He hadn't expected to see her outside the laundomat again, a mere...ten minutes later, pulling on dry pants. But before he had time to consider just what had happened, she was back on her bike and directing him to find a place to eat!

"Ah, listen...you picked a bad one for tour duty. I know about the restaurant at the Grand Piazza, and that's about it."

Nic thought she might draw some odd looks at the Piazza, but that didn't bother him in the least.

"S'allright? Follow me."

And without waiting for a reply, Nic turned his bike at the next corner, and headed in the opposite direction.

Pulling into the parking lot, he would be damned to give his keys to the valet, and instead slipped the guy a hundred bucks to let Dawn and him park their bikes to the side of the door. There was plenty of room, and the bikes were highly visible. He felt safe in leaving them there.

Standing off to the side of Dawn, he held his arm out to her, as he turned to enter the restaurant.

(ooc - Nic and Dawn out to the Piazza)