The Eye of the Storm

Ysabel had taken a break from her arduous task of unpacking (Oh be fair, she told herself. It was hardly arduous and you barely did anything at all... you're just being lazy) and had assured Dayle she was going to take a walk and would not get lost in Nachton. Not that she couldn't have handled that, but Dayle was... well, Dayle, and lovably protective of her sister.

She had seen Vesper Gardens as they drove into the city, a little bit of peace and quiet in the midst of the thriving city. It had appealed to her, and wasn't very far from their condo. Art galleries were well and good, but there would be plenty of time for those later in the week. So Ysabel had made Vesper her destination for that evening, for at least a short time before tackling her unpacking again.

She now strolled happily amongst the blooming plants, stopping here and there to gently lift a blossom and inhale the scent but very careful not to harm them at all. She loved flowers. Her experience at gardening was limited, and most of it was related to trimming back and pruning certain plants as was befitting of a lady. Still, she'd enjoyed it so she at least knew what she was looking at, if not how to really care properly for it.

Ambrose 18 years ago
It was all Dawn’s fault, but Ambrose had taken to wearing his duster again. It was still cool enough out that he could get away with it, but it earned him a look now and then, not that he cared.

He’d been hanging around the gardens the past few evenings looking for dinner; being between gigs always made hunting harder. He hated himself for it but tonight he’d played up his limp and the cane and gone for the sympathy angle. Damned if it hadn’t worked though, in a surprisingly short time he’d attracted the attention of a good hearted young woman, engaged her in conversation, had dinner and sent her on her merry way commanding her to forget the whole encounter.

Satisfied his snack seemed sufficiently fuzzy and forgetful and he wasn’t going to have to worry Ambrose had perked up considerably and was thoroughly in the mood to enjoy a nice stroll through the gardens; maybe even find seconds. Rounding a corner he was just beginning to think how good his luck was tonight when he made a closer assessment of the lady in front of him. Beautiful, yes but the way she was dressed he had a strong suspicion she would not appreciate him trying to make a meal of her. But that didn’t mean he couldn’t introduce himself.

Working at keeping his weight off the cane, something that did take a lot of effort for him, he walked casually up to her but stopped at a respectful distance and offered her a polite nod. He would have tipped his hat, but he wasn’t wearing one. It was odd to be reverting to such old formalities, but even from a distance, she inspired it. It must be her sense of fashion, Ambrose reasoned.

“Good evening miss. Pleasant night isn’t it?”

OK so pick up lines were never Ambrose’s strong suit but it was still better than ‘Hey Baby what’s your sign?’.
Ysabel 18 years ago
Ysabel glanced up from the nicotania, whose lovely scent had drawn her down to the bush, to see a gentleman with a cane standing there. She hadn't even seen him approach, lost in her thoughts, but her sociable instincts came to the fore and she gave him a warm smile.

The gentleman was fairly tall, of average height and build, with slightly longish dark brown hair that looked like it might have a few strands of silver in it... but he didn't really look old. He had addressed her as miss, which was polite enough for Ysabel. She would have preferred Lady Yolgrave, but of course he couldn't know that... and anyhow it was Elsa's turn to be the official Lady Yolgrave.

"Good evening, sir." Ysabel responded in kind. "It's a pleasant evening indeed." She didn't have much basis for comparison, not sure what the weather in Nachton was normally like at this time of year. That put her off a little bit, as the weather was normally a safe, trivial topic, but she didn't show her discomfiture.

She hadn't seen him walk, so she wasn't sure if the cane was merely an accessory or a necessity. Ysabel wasn't about to pry, however. Since she wasn't comfortable enough with Nachton to make idle chatter, she simply kept up her smile and waited for the man to speak, offer his name, or whatever he had approached her for. It wasn't as if she hadn't had humans hit on her before.

In fact, he did look... tasty. She'd fed recently but she wasn't opposed to a light snack when the opportunity arose.
Ambrose 18 years ago
He wasn’t sure if he was being dismissed or not. He rather hoped not as her accent even in those few words had been refreshing. Some people might complain about English food but Ambrose found it was often a nice change of pace. Still the cloak, the dress, the were just off enough to bring him up short and keep him from even attempting to accost her, for now.

Offering her an open and honest smile Ambrose tried to think of what to say next. He couldn’t figure out why he was this flustered. What he did know was that he never liked the term sir.

“Ambrose Townsend.”

Taking the few short steps forward, he extended his hand to her.

Finally deciding they were getting nowhere fast at this rate he plunged ahead.

“Could I talk you into taking a short walk with me?”

If nothing else he might get a better idea why she was out dressed completely anachronistically wandering through the gardens alone this time of night.

((OOC... discription of Ysabel's cloths given by her player))
Ysabel 18 years ago
Ysabel couldn't help but notice the awkwardness of the man's gait when he stepped toward her with his hand outstretched. She made note of it but paid it no undue attention, for that would have been grievously rude of her and she could tell he was trying to be polite as he blurted out an invitation to join him for a walk.

"Mister Townsend. A pleasure," she said.

Her coquettish side, admittedly the most cultivated facet of her nature, rose to the fore and instead of gripping his hand to shake as Dayle would no doubt have done, Ysabel met his eyes firmly, almost challengingly, with a small smile, and offered her hand palm down for him to kiss or bow over, like a courtier.

She wondered briefly if he would rather sit as there was obviously something wrong with his left leg, but he was the one who'd proposed a walk. Perhaps he'd broken it and was trying to excersize to regain strength. It wasn't Ysabel's place to conjecture.

However, even with that in mind perhaps she might get him into a dim corner and sample the menu here in Nachton. She had told Dayle she'd find out all about fine dining, after all.

"I should think you wouldn't need to do very much talking. A walk is exactly why I'm out here, and I certainly don't mind company."
Ambrose 18 years ago
It wasn’t odd for people to stare at him when he walked and Ambrose was used to pretending it didn’t bother him. Although occasionally he would snap and tell the lookey loo where to get off, but she hadn’t said a word. Awfully decent of her.

When she didn’t take his hand, he was surprised and it took a second to realize she had offered her hand and then another half second to take any action on it. Remembering his manners, one bowed to the lady’s hand one did –not- raise her hand to you, he very lightly kissed her knuckles.

“The pleasure is all mine Miss…?”

He was even more intrigued now. Mad blond hair, striking blue eyes, a crisp accent, old fashion clothing and old school manners; just whom had he run into this evening.

He offered her his right arm, his left being occupied.

“As long as I’m not imposing I’d appreciate the company myself. I’ll admit gardens are something of a mystery to me.”
Ysabel 18 years ago
Oh, delightful! Someone had given Mister Townsend a thorough grounding in basic manners, at least, for he bowed mover her hand and lightly brushed his lips across her knuckles. Ysabel found her habits weren't always understood, and she enjoyed it when anyone stepped up to the games she'd been so accustomed to playing over the years.

"Ysabel," she offered. "Miss Ysabel Margarette Yolgrave." Her smile remained. He must be a believer in first impressions... or perhaps he was just that rare bird, polite and amiable right off the bat.

When he offered his arm to her she very gently placed her hand at the crook of his elbow, touching-but-not-touching as was customary. With her free right hand she gathered up the folds of her gown just a bit, as they were long enough to touch the ground. She raised them just enough to keep them from getting dirtied, as they had long since passed the time period where it was either fashionable or economical to wear a gown once and then hand it down to a lady's maid. Ysabel had learned of the wonders of dry-cleaners long ago.

She turned her attention up to her companion and gazed directly at his brown eyes, and then let her gaze flicker away modestly.

"You are not imposing. If anything, my sister will be pleased to know I have found someone to keep me safe for the moment instead of wandering through a strange city alone."

She had to wonder how far his lessons in ettiquette had gone. If they had truly been instilled in him at a young age, she may as well look elsewhere for a snack... no truly well-mannered gentleman would let her pin him into a corner for the kind of game she would have to play to get a nibble in.
Yuu 18 years ago
Wearing a black satin corset and an off the shoulder, dark red poet shirt, Yuu tightened the embroidered wrap around her shoulders. She stood glaring at the night blooming orchids with her arms crossed and hands tucked tightly into her arm pits. A little unlady like, but it helped her insane urge to reach into her purse and grab a cigarette. She should just throw them away, but with the price of a pack these days, it felt almost criminal. Instead Yuu used it as a reminder to work on her impulses.

Speaking of which, her latest impulse had been scarce as of late. She hadn't spoken to Tai since the hospital. Gingerly taking a deep sigh, she winced at the pain from her ribs as she thought about him. He was a fun little roll in the hay, at least, that's what she kept telling herself. Granted now that roll in the hay with the god damn sexy tattoos might not be what she thought he was. What she hoped he was.

What did she think Tai was?

Shaking off the thought she turned and walked down the path, deeper into the gardens. She wasn't even sure why she had come to the Vesper Gardens. Maybe because it reminded her of the night Tai and her finally...well...hit it.

With a disgruntled snort, Yuu turned the corner and happened upon a rather handsome couple. Her eyebrows furrowed when she saw the woman's outfit. A cloak? Boy that's a throw back, but it appealed to the gothic flare of her wardrobe, having quite a few velvet and satin ones from a couple years back. She looked at them, feeling a little under dressed, but her long black satin skirt wrap was brand new, much to her delight, and figured it was proper evening wear. Yuu slowed, not wanting to be rude and just briskly walk by the pair on the narrow path. With a nod she gave them a smile.

'Evening.'
Ambrose 18 years ago
“Thank you for accompanying me then Miss Yolgrave.”

Again, he couldn’t explain the formality she inspired in him, usually he was a first name kind of guy. But she’d called him Mister Townsend so he’d keep going in that vein.

He noted the practiced way she picked up her dress so it didn’t drag, it looked like a old and well established habit, especially when combined with the way she took his arm. ‘She’s a re-enactor.’ Ambrose told himself firmly, he knew some of them did excellent jobs with their parts and enormous amounts of research. She was one of them that had to be it. But damned she had the part down, that little eye catching/flitting flirt was…

“Of course I’ll have to keep you safe. I’d hate for something to happen to a lady like yourself, something that would keep you from visiting Nachton again.”

It had been a while since Ambrose had flirted with any delicacy and he hoped he wasn’t making a fool of himself. Although given the way he was grinning, which was slightly stupidly, he was failing.

Breaking eye contact with her before he said something stupid, he looked down the path and noted another young woman. Why had he not come here to hunt sooner? He greeted her with a less idiotic smile and slight nod.

“Good evening.”
Aaron 18 years ago
Aaron stood on the outskirts of the Park, hands in the pockets of his brocade coat. He had originally intended to go right home after the incident with the muggers, but had decided that a walk would though Vesper would be a bit better. He hadn't been here in a good month, and felt that was a situation to be rectified.

After properly disposing of his cigar, which by no means belonged in the lovely garden, and stepped onto a path and began to walk. The strangely dressed man got quite his share of stares as he moved, which he met with a smile and nod as he always did.

After several minuets of mostly uninterrupted walking he caught a glimpse of Ysabel, Ambrose, and (walking in the opposite direction) Yuu on an adjacent path, blocked off by a bit of foliage. His smile widened a bit and he began to search for a way to intercept them. The woman's garments were a bit younger style wise than his own, but it still succeeded in piquing his interest.

He located a point where his path intersected with theirs up ahead a ways, and quickened his pace so as to reach it before them. Tonight really was proving to be interesting...
Ysabel 18 years ago
Vesper was a popular place, Ysabel thought as she moved off lightly on Ambrose's arm. Her companion seemed more than willing to play her game right back with her, and that always put her in a cheerful mood. She still wore a soft smile on her face as they passed a young woman of Asian heritage who slowed and greeted them with a quick, "Evening."

Ysabel took in her style of dress; sort of retro, sort of gothic, a modern trend she actually liked. It wasn't for her, of course, but fashion trends that went in her general direction of preference usually appealed. And this woman had done it properly; plenty of golden skin showing at the breast and neck; ankles and feet well-covered. Ysabel knew it was old-fashioned of her, but in spite of her many other adjustments to this era, she still believed in being covered modestly.

Those thoughts went through her head quickly, and she pressed Ambrose's arm just a bit to pause and reply, "It is evening indeed, and a lovely one at that. It seems the Gardens are the popular place to be tonight!"

In fact, it was fortunate they had slowed for they were on course to intercept another gentleman just up the path. Ysabel couldn't quite make out the details of his face from where they stood, for they were near a lightsource, a small lamp by appearances, and she couldn't look in its direction long at all in spite of the fact that it was quite dim by comparison to a normal light... but even so, she thought the man up ahead was dressed in a brocade coat. How curious!

"I had no idea there were so many walkers out this late," Ysabel murmured. That thought too cheered her, for as it appeared that Ambrose's manners were indeed that, she could give up on him as a snack source. He would most likely be far too polite to try and get in a grab in a corner, which would have been the easiest way for Ysabel to feed.

It seemed that finding food in Vesper tonight would probably not be too difficult though, and Ysabel found herself focusing more on the personalities of the people around her now instead of how best to entice them into a dark corner.

Addressing both the Asian woman and Ambrose, she asked, "Is it always this crowded here?" Aside from them and the man on the path ahead, they'd passed several others along the way and she could hear voices all around.
Yuu 18 years ago
Yuu turned, catching a glimpse and a noise. She was surprised at the sudden appearance of yet another rather...regally dressed gentleman. Was there a costume ball she was missing somewhere? Pulling a stray hair that had gotten caught on her lips, she tucked it behind her hair and smiled.

'I'm not sure, I'm new here in Nachton. I've only been here one time before with...a friend.' Why did she pause like that? Mentally she kicked herself for acting childishly. She'd worry about Tai another time.

'It's been a busy couple weeks for me, figured the walk would relax me a bit.' Yuu paused, shifting her wrap so it lay lower on her arms. 'I have to say, that's an absolutely striking gown you're wearing. Just coming from...a party?'
Ysabel 18 years ago
Ysabel's face lit up. "I'm new here too, very recently arrived from England." She waved her free hand dismissively; that much was obvious by her accent.

When the woman asked about her gown, she felt her eyes grow wide. "Wear this? To a party? Goodness, no!"

Intuition had her about to point out that her day-gown was by no means fit for any sort of party. The trim was modest at best, there was very little in the way of decoration, and the cut was entirely too mundane for a party.

Habit, however, was fortunate enough to take intuition with a firm hand early enough so that her surprise might be taken the other way; that she felt far too fancy for a party. Normally, she didn't care who thought what of her dress... but normally, she lived in a town that was used to her habits. Living in Nachton called for some more discretion.

Ysabel shook her head. "I've a job with the Nachton Historical Society," she said. "I give tours through the old houses. It's appropriate."

It certainly was appropriate. Just because she hadn't started working there yet didn't mean she wasn't going to... and she would be expected to dress like this when she did.

"I have to confess, it's quite comfortable. And with the way trends are nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes commonplace."

By now Ysabel was feeling suitably embarrassed that no introductions had been made, and since this woman was another potential food item, Ysabel held her hand out much as Mister Townsend had just a few minutes ago for a shake.

"My name is Miss Ysabel Yolgrave. My companion is Mister Ambrose Townsend. You're welcome to walk with us if you like. This looks like the perfect place for relaxation."

Ysabel glanced up at Mister Townsend for confirmation; he had, after all, invited her along on this walk.

Then looking over at the man in the brocade coat, Ysabel wondered if he were interested in their conversation, too, or simply shy. She couldn't help but wonder about him, since he was dressed, as she was, out of the times. Perhaps that's why he'd stopped.
Ambrose 18 years ago
He wasn’t at all surprised to feel a gentle pressure on his arm indicating he should stop. It came as no surprise that Ysabel would be social and pause to make polite conversation. Ambrose was rather reminded of the few times Sarah had had him follow along when she made her calls. His job was to play the gentleman and let her set the pace. It hadn’t been a bad way to kill a morning, even if he did start getting edgy by the end of it.

“Well then we’re all relatively new all the way around.”

Ambrose smiled cheerfully. It would helpful if he knew more about the city, and while he wouldn’t be the best tour guide, he wouldn’t get anyone lost. Although he did hope the gardens were busy, it would be to his benefit if they were.

See he’d been right, a re-enactor. Even so there were too many people around for him to celebrate that little victory. It didn’t seem quite right, but it was a good enough reason for him to stop thinking about it.

Realizing Ysabel expected some response from him he smiled again nodded his consent.

“Of course that sounds like a fine idea. Would you care to join us?”

Especially as there seemed to be other, perhaps more… eccentric folks around. He’d gotten just a quick of another gentleman also rather creatively attired. And while he didn’t find that alarming in Ysabel, from the guy it felt off; but maybe Ambrose was over reacting.
Yuu 18 years ago
Yuu nodded slightly, amused by Ysabel's sense of role play. 'My name is Shiroi Yuukaku...Yuu for short.' She pulled her wrap back over her shoulders as a slight wind gusted by her. Looking off at the direction of the newcomer, she nodded in his direction.

'Seems we have another coming our way.'

Yuu was recovering rather well from the explosion, although from time to time she'll get an ache in her side. No doubt her ribs complaining about something. A small walk would probably do her some good and she looked forward to chatting with what seemed like the eccentric upper crust class of Nachton. Her ability to meet rather unique folk in this town was uncanny, apparently.
Aaron 18 years ago

The small group had noticed him. All three had noticed him. He really needed to work on his subterfuge, but then, what could one expect from a man dressed in 16th century attire, with a Rapier belted to his side? 'I'm rather difficult to miss, I suppose,' he mused silently to himself. 'and I wouldn't have it any other way,' this was thought with a slight grin, and he slowed himself down a bit so as not to appear threatening by rushing up to them.

When he was about two or three yards away, he raised a hand. "Bonjour!"Â? was said with the accent of one who had practiced the language profusely, though was still (if only slightly) off from perfectly fluent. "I do hope I do not interrupting any engagement's that the ladies and gentleman might have?"Â? This was, decidedly, his native language. Aaron's voice dripped of British as he spoke, there was no mistaking his nationality.

Ysabel 18 years ago
Ysabel took it upon herself to perform introductions once again. She was already liking this city, with its pleasant, sociable hors d'ouvres and its busy night life.

"Good evening sir."

Still maintaining her light touch on Ambrose's arm, she dipped into a graceful curtsey. "You're not interrupting at all."

Rising, she tilted her head at him. Now that he was closer, and not in the light, she saw his manner of dress was indeed a bit outdated. It made her wonder if he was not to be snacked upon, but just because someone was wearing odd clothing did not make them a vampire.

"My name is Ysabel; these are Mister Ambrose and Miss Yuu. We were just discussing the fact that we're all new to Nachton and we all seem to have bumped into each other here tonight."

She raised her eyebrows just a bit, with a small smile. "I don't suppose you're any more familiar with the area than we are?"
Aaron 18 years ago
Aaron brightened up quite quickly, stoping about three feet away from them and droping into a low bow.
"Aaron Rigson, at your most humble service, M'ladys and Sir." He rose back up and shifted his attention back to Ysabel.
"Actualy, Mon Fille, I immagine I would be, if only slightly, more aquanted with it than you. I have, after all, lived in this city for the most of my life."
'"Most of my life" beeing several douzen decades, of cource..." He thought, though didn't voice. He was getting strong "I'm a vampire" vibes from the lady at least, though he knew better than to raise those susspicions himself. For one, it would be rude, and for another, it would quite likely get him fired if He was wrong. Instead he simply lapsed into a respectful silence, waiting for the other two to speak, if they so desired, or for Miss Ysabel to grace him with that voice again... 'Thats a good one!' He mused 'I'll have to remember that for later...'
Yuu 18 years ago
Yuu watched as the new man introduced himself. She gave him an appraising look from head to toe and wondered if Victorian clothing was coming back strong in Nachton. All three interacted with very prim and proper manners, not at all something she was aquainted with, not to this degree at least.

Yuu nodded her head and gave Aaron a small smile, choosing to remain quiet and watch.
Ambrose 18 years ago
“Remind me not to come here to get away from it all.”

He half laughed at Yuu’s observation. Actually, Ambrose had been all in favor of escorting the ladies away from the… well the… history lesson. There was no way on god’s green earth that this guy was part of any historical society, at least he didn’t think so. The cloths were too far out of date. He would have let it all go if it weren’t for the sword.

Doing his best to look at it without looking –at- it he would have dropped his hand down to where his gun would be except Ysabel still had his arm. Since he no longer carried his guns around with him, he let the lady keep possession of the limb while smiling at this Aaron. He might not think much of guy’s fashion sense or the way he was throwing the French around, but he wasn’t going to pick a fight in front of the ladies. Later was another story.

“Nice to meet you then Aaron. Although you might regret it, you could get roped into playing tour guide.”

Yup, he was being pleasant and charming. Primarily because he’d graduated from being Mister Townsend to being Mister Ambrose. It was a step in the right direction, even if adding another member to the party wasn’t.
Aaron 18 years ago
Aaron's eyes darted over to Ambrose. He kept up his smile, though his empathic powers coudln't help but pick up the spike of slight anmosity directed at him. He frowned inwordly, though outwordly he continued to smile genuinely. He wasn't to keen on letting one sore sport get in the way of a bit of socilization.

"Well, I would not mind showing the three of you around."

'I would, however, mind if you hit me in the face.' He thought, hand drifting down to rest on his sword pommel, though it merely appeared as though he was giveing the hand something to sit on. The sowrd was quite real, and sharper than a razor blade at the tip.

"Though I would frankly much prefer a nice walk, with company, If I would be allowed."