Touche (attn:Thaddeus)(private)

Claire walked through the Manor quietly, leading the way to her rooms which were on the very far side of the residences. She did not have much to say and felt that perhaps her ability to be a good host was sorely lacking but her mind wandered to the potential outcome of this meeting.

There were three as far as her mind could deduce. Sorin could be guilty, he could be innocent or the information from the sword could prove inconclusive. It might have nothing to do with the event of Emma's death at all but she felt it reasonable to hope that it did. Claire felt that though she did not understand the reason for the sword's appearance in the murderer's home, she was aware that they might be able to puzzle it out from the sensations that Thaddeus received. Originally it appeared that the sword might somehow prove his guilt and she hid it in her room for this length of time denying what truth it might tell but feeling the burning need to know. Thinking about it more, it seemed reasonable that someone might have wanted both Emma and Sorin dead and it had merely taken longer to achieve both goals because unknown complications. Thaddeus's mention of the vampires that were present at the time of Emma's death gave her even more hope that Sorin would be shown to be not guilty of the crime committed and that she could dissolve the foundless fear and begin living and working more closely with her sire again.

She looked up and realized that all the silent pondering had brought her to her quickly to her door. Claire pulled a burgundy cord from under her collar and placed the attached small gold key in the lock.

Looking at Thaddeus, she smiled.

"It is not as homey as I would like. I have been away quite a while."Â?

Thaddeus Grey 18 years ago
Thaddeus followed behind Claire as she led the way to her quarters, registering her location in case he had a need to visit again. Meanwhile, he was reflecting on how eventful this visit had turned out to be, and wondered once again how Alfarinn’s visit to Tacharan was going. He was simply meant to be keeping out of trouble while Alfarinn had the more dangerous task of getting in and out of Tacharan, delivering some bad news no less, unharmed and with some sort of solution in place. He considered sending something but imagined he would feel if Alfarinn were in danger; bothering him right now could prove distracting.

In any case, his time at the Manor had proved productive if nothing else; the book under one arm and the tapestry under the other were evidence of that. He still wanted to have the tapestry properly cleaned and ready before he showed Alfarinn, but he was eager to talk about the book, and hopefully let Claire know about the existence of the other. He optimistically thought it was only a matter of timing, even as his more realistic side argued that he should wait and see.

He only realized when he was at Claire’s door that he hadn’t spoken once, being so caught up in his thoughts. Claire broke the silence and he hoped he hadn’t missed any earlier attempts at conversation. He did give a slight smile as Claire unlocked the door, though, coming back to the here and now.

“It would seem, then, that we have been remiss in welcoming you back properly.” He gave a sheepish little shrug. ‘Hi, welcome home…now come check out this beastly murder’s house with me and an Elder of Evenhet.’ Some welcome, really. Didn’t normal people throw house warming parties?
Claire 18 years ago
Claire turned and smiled shyly at Thaddeus before opening the door fully and gesturing him in first.

"Not at all. I have not made much fuss about being back so I doubt that my arrival has drawn much attention."Â?

Her silent thought on the matter was that was exactly how she preferred it. There were only a few Anantya still residing in the city that she knew well enough to want to announce her presence to and though she would like to meet new members of Anantya, Claire would prefer not being the center of attention.

She moved past him with another apologetic smile and a nod. Walking into the dark living room, Claire lit several of the oil lamps in the beside the seating area and adjusted the wicks to make it a tad brighter than she would normally use for reading. Indicating the chairs by the unlit fire, she said.

"Please, make yourself at home. I'll just take a moment to go get it, shall I?"Â?

-Where are your manners, Tremaine?- She mentally chided herself for going straight to business and simply assuming Thaddeus would wish to do likewise.

"Or would you care for something to drink first? I am afraid I do not have much here but some mulled cider but Sorin might have left a bottle of wine as well."Â?

Her sire preferred his own quarters to her's and so Claire went there to meet with him instead of inviting him to her own. She had to admit that his suite was far more luxurious than the more simple decoration of her more utilitarian suite.

/ooc Thaddeus moved with permission
Thaddeus nodded in understanding at Claire’s explanation, inwardly thinking that welcome home gatherings and such were normally more entertaining for the people throwing the event than the supposed guest of honor. He could appreciate just wanting to be home without all the fuss making an entrance involved.

Though he did tend to feel Claire was understating her quarters. He rather liked the tile work especially and lingered a little to see the pattern before following Claire into the living room. He favored the many books with a smile.

“I do believe our priorities are remarkably similar.”

He’d noticed that Claire hadn’t yet mentioned just what he was meant to be sensing and at the time he had assumed that she would feel more free to speak on the matter in her quarters. That she was still being somewhat mysterious about the specifics of the object made him a little nervous; Thaddeus’s imagination immediately stuck on the theory that he was going to end up handling something unpleasant. A person who practiced medicine could have all kinds of instruments…he rubbed at his chin to clear his own line of thought, deciding he wouldn’t know anything for certain until he took the offered chair and sensed as asked. It wasn’t as though he truly minded sensing whatever was needed for his clan but his imagination could make the waiting uncomfortable.

Sitting neatly on the offered chair, he shook his head at Claire’s offer for a drink.

“No thank you; I don’t partake.”

He thought it was good of Claire to ask, as it was so much easier to politely decline an offer than to deal with a suspicious drink being thrust into your hand.
Claire 18 years ago
Claire looked over at the bookcases at the mention of them and blushed. She would sooner get excellent shelving to protect her books than she would buy a new bed for her own comfort. She could sleep anywhere but the books were precious!

"Yes, I'm afraid so."Â? She looked down with a sheepish smile. "They are little pieces of someone's immortality."Â? Claire's smile widened upon looking up at the books, they were fond friends and she had read most of them more than once.

She nodded at Thaddeus when he said he did not partake. Was it a religious oath or simply preference? Claire found herself curious as usual but would allow that information to unfold at Thaddeus' discretion.

"Oh. I did not know."Â?

She could call for something else to be brought but perhaps it would be better to get the sensing over with first and then they could talk over a chosen drink. Politeness had been seen to and Thaddeus had plenty of other people he would likely rather see than her at the moment.

"I'll just go get it then."Â?

Walking up to her room, she sighed and again racked her mind over all the choices. This was the last possible chance to change her mind, after this point she could not take back whatever knowledge this gave Thaddeus or even herself. Did she want to know? She had been running from what she felt was a dreaded certainty but there were doubts and as the years rolled on with no evidence they had grown larger. It was time to lay them to rest, whatever the outcome.

Choice made, she reached into the armoire and pulled out the sword, wrapped in un-dyed linen that she used sometimes for her fresh herbs. Coming back down the stairs, she took up the chair opposite Thaddeus and set the cloth covered object in her lap.

"I have a confession to make and an explanation."Â?

Looking down at the bundle, Claire continued.

"When I accompanied Dani to the home where I met you. I knew that a vampire had died and then seeing you with Alfarinn, well I had my doubts. Of course, you were honest enough with your explanation but."Â?

She gave a delicate shrug and looked up at him.

"Had you been alone. I believe I would have trusted you from the start. Love..."Â?

Claire's mouth twitched in amused irony, placing her hand on the bundle that would be evidence of her own statement.

"makes us do strange things."Â?

She picked up the item and held it out to Thaddeus as she continued to explain.

"It was my sire's. I sought to protect him. I wanted some time to think over what should be done. I think this is the best answer."Â?
Thaddeus gave a slight smile at Claire’s apparent fondness for her books, thinking that her outlook was interesting. He’d never really thought about books in those terms specifically but decided it was an apt way to describe the associations that went beyond simply having a wealth of information. The human element he struggled to put his finger on, that Claire had described so succinctly.

He gave a sheepish shrug at Claire’s comment, thinking that for someone who didn’t partake he had certainly done more than his share in the past few months. Then his fellow nightsman went to get the object, leaving him to contemplate the shelves of books for a moment. When she returned with something wrapped in linen he gave it a curious look, but seeing that Claire had no intention of handing it to him just yet, he remained still and patient.

His mind, however, was busy firing off possible conclusions when Claire explained there was some background he should know before he sensed, and he felt his anticipation go up a notch. When it became clear that this was somehow relevant to him, though, he hushed the nervous part of his brain, raising one eyebrow as Claire elaborated.

It was, he thought, reasonable enough that she didn’t trust him instantaneously. He didn’t trust right away either, and what trust he had cultivated was inched out slowly and carefully. And he could certainly understand an Evenhet’s presence making matters more complicated; it wasn’t as though he hadn’t considered Claire’s baggage as well. Being a child of Sorin had its own set of complications. He spoke with out any particular rancor, not intending to be harsh, but matter of fact..

“Had I been alone I would have been dead.”

He certainly could make no apologies for Alfarinn’s presence when she had first met him, nor did he particularly want to. When she mentioned matters of love, though, he tilted his head to one side, blinking deliberately. There was something about her expression just then, in the tone of her voice, that elicited that strange sense of déjà vu he had felt at the creator’s ball. Odd, certainly, but not something he should allow to distract him. Instead, he took the bundle Claire offered, but listened while she continued to explain. With the layers of linen combined with his gloves it was unlikely he would sense anything deliberately or otherwise.

Finding himself rendered quite speechless when it was revealed that this item belonged to Sorin, he crinkled his forehead slightly and set to unwrapping the bundle, neatly winding the linen in one gloved hand as he went. When he was left with a long dagger, the crest of Nero shining in the hilt, he nodded his head, understanding now. He supposed he was shocked, but that didn’t really seem like an accurate way to describe the creeping dread, like blood soaking into fabric, that seemed to be taking hold. Deciding such feelings weren’t going to be in any way helpful, he reverted back to his more matter of fact ways.

“You found this on the wall.”

It wasn’t a question and he didn’t think he needed to clarify which wall he was talking about. Instead, he kept his sigh mostly inward and reached up to pinch the bridge of his nose, though he stopped halfway there and let his hand fall again.

“There are numerous possible explanations for this.” He tried to manage an encouraging smile and had the sinking suspicion he’d failed miserably. “I’m glad you’re showing me now; that’s what matters, that we can...shed some light on this.”

He supposed he could be annoyed that Claire had kept this from them but that seemed like such a waste when, ultimately, she had come to her own conclusion that he should know. In a way he preferred that. Admired it, even. He ran a finger down the blade, then turned it over in his hands before looking up.

“I can see how you would be concerned. Lykaios was a dangerous killer and his clanless position made him an ideal third party resource. Someone with few ties…”

…and the people he had ties with tended to be the ones he wanted dead. He pushed that thought away, along with the reflection that if a person wanted to do an inside job, a clanless killer was exactly the sort to seek out.

Realizing that he had trailed off, he brought his attention back to the present with a tilt of his head.

“…well. I can see how it would be alarming.” Hell, it was disturbing to him as well, and he rather sharply thought that it was probably best if he got on with it. Resting the blade across his knees, he began pulling off his gloves while trying to mentally prepare himself for whatever he might find.
Claire 18 years ago
Claire nodded sadly at Thaddeus's pronouncement. She did not know much about the man they had confronted but he was obviously very accomplished if he could best an elder of Emma's age and awareness.

"I am sorry, Thaddeus."Â?

So many years had been spent seeing plots where none existed and playing a cautious game where other clans were concerned. She liked Thaddeus from the start and felt that she could trust him. Claire had wanted to take the time to be sure that she was not being naïve on the matter. He seemed so very earnest and sincere. It was a soothing balm to her soul to believe that he was all that he appeared, a very loyal capable member of the Order of the Night who was doing his best to uphold the ways of Anantya. There was also her need to make sure she wanted to know the truth but she had not explained that portion to him, perhaps she should.

She nodded at his assumption of its placement.

"Yes, It seemed to be a wall of....trophies, if I am not mistaken. I did not know what that meant in this case, obviously Sorin is still very much alive. Perhaps he bested him in some other way? I feared perhaps that my sire was a potential target. Not knowing for certain the answer to these questions, I.."Â?

Took it. Claire blushed and looked down at her hands clasped in her lap, waiting for him to examine it further or ask other questions. She nodded dutifully at the reasons for it being there. They both knew how it looked and what it could mean. It took a lot of inward searching to come to the conclusion that not only did she need to know but also that Thaddeus needed to know as well.

"I must be honest in saying that it was done in part to protect him, in the event that the knowledge gained from it was something less than favorable... but as difficult as it is to accept, I know that the truth, whatever that may be, needs to be found. I want him to be innocent of any involvement. I've stayed away too long for fear of what I might find."Â?

She shrugged slightly, not knowing how to explain.

"I would like my creator back and for too long my doubts have kept me from him."Â?

Some might say Sorin was not the ideal sire to have but he was her's and she loved him and perhaps he loved her, in his way. She knew that he was not perfect, perhaps not even good but Claire felt that he could be and she had yet to give up hope that some day he would be the person she caught glimpses of from time to time.
Thaddeus nodded his head in affirmation of Claire’s postulation as to the nature of the wall, giving an uncertain shrug at the possible reasons something of Sorin’s might have been included in such a monument. Claire continued to explain her motivations, but it struck Thaddeus that she seemed rather uncomfortable. It wasn’t his intention to grill the woman and they both knew how her sentence ended; what was done was done and he thought it best to move on.

“By all appearances Lykaios was fond of mementos.”

It was always slightly disturbing to observe striking commonalities between himself and Lykaios, but he shook the thought off with a slight frown, elaborating on his point.

“It clearly held some meaning to him, but he seemed to be one to…keep his bitterness as close as his victories. It could be that Sorin bested Lykaios in some way, though I don’t know why he would keep this on a wall of so called triumphs in that case.”

When Claire explained her more complex motivations for keeping the weapon close, he simply nodded in understanding, hoping that knowing a little more would offer them both some respite from all of this. That was the irrevocable nature of suspicion, though, and he knew he was on a road from which there was no turning back. He had suspected Sorin; whatever came from his suspicion, he would have to carry that with him. Even wanting his theories proved false would not make that forgivable. It was much the same with knowledge; once you knew something to be true there was no erasing it.

Greys don’t forget, after all.

Sighing softly, he peeled off his left glove, slipping it into his pocket with a slight frown. Claire, contrary to his somewhat dark outlook, seemed to think that with knowledge, with satisfaction, would come resolution, and really, who was to say she wasn’t right? Perhaps there was a shred of hope in this mess; if not for him, for Claire at least.

“In any case.”

With that, he wrapped his hand around the hilt, two fingers reaching up to touch the blade, and closed his eyes.

The first sensation sent a shiver up his spine; a calloused finger, running down the blade, a parody of his own gesture moments ago. Lykaios, touching the blade, the malice of the now dead vampire bleeding through his senses. Triumph and hate overlapping each other in a way that struck Thaddeus as uniquely like Lykaios.

Further back.

A hand on the hilt, not Lykaios’s. Sorin’s? Annoyance, growing to anger, growing to wrath, quickly now, a flash of the hand, almost certainly Sorin’s, gripping the hilt, then suddenly letting go, cutting Thaddeus off sharply into darkness.

Tightening his jaw, he continued to sense, distantly realizing he was starting to lose himself but too frustrated by that sudden withdraw to care, when he felt Lykaios’s hand grip the handle and pull the blade sharply out of a scabbard, hate and anger practically tangible, the dagger sweating with it.

Then, suddenly, a shocking blankness, everything erased saved a slowly growing frustration, impotence. The sensation was the mental equivalent to running full speed only to slam into an invisible wall, the shock and pain of it nearly physical in nature.

Unfortunately, at least in Thaddeus’s mind, it was also enough to completely shake his efforts at sensing, and he came too with a sharp snap of his head.

Feeling a little dazed, he blinked, raising one hand to his temple. Realizing that Claire was probably waiting for some sort of response, he turned to her with a rattled sort of expression, both eyebrows raised. What he wanted to say was something better not vocalized in front of a lady and he commented a little aimlessly.

“I might need to try that again. It’s fairly clear, though, that Sorin and Lykaios were not fond of each other; I imagine that works in Sorin’s favor.”

Sitting back in his chair, he pinched the bridge of his nose and waited for the disorientation to pass.
Claire 18 years ago
Claire raised an eyebrow at the thought of a murderer who liked mementos. It was not an uncommon sociopathic tendency to collect items that symbolized something important to the person. Generally speaking a triumph of some kind but on occasion she had even seen a collection of reminders of failure, reasons to continue on the destructive path that they were on. To be fair, it was human nature to gather items that were important to them or had some personal value. Perhaps it was a gathering instinct or more likely nesting. They made comfortable homes for themselves surrounded by the things they loved and enjoyed. Claire looked around at her herb kitchen and her books and smiled back down at her hands. She was as guilty as anyone else of the habit.

She nodded at the possibility that Sorin might have bested Lykaios in some way but also seemed doubtful about its inclusion amongst the wall of his victories. The organization seemed obsessive, everything had to be in its place so there must have been a reason for it to be on the wall of triumphs and the most obvious reason was that it was a personal victory in some way.

It was obvious that victory did not always mean death to the owner of the items which led to an interesting thought. She frowned and collected it into something comprehensable in her mind before speaking.

"Thaddeus, If this was a victory but not one that resulted in the victim's death then how many of the other blades might also belong to living persons? If there was a way that your psychometry or perhaps another's in the clan, could determine whether the people were alive or dead we might have so other leads. -If- of course, your current trail runs short."

Claire realized that she was excited by the possibility of a puzzle but that this mystery was of a very personal nature to Thaddeus and he might not appreciate her enthusiasm, or even her aid. She grinned a little apologetically and went back to being silent.

Claire waited quietly as Thaddeus sensed the blade, watching his expression closely. It did not tell her much other than he was concentrating quite hard. It was interesting to watch someone see and feel things that you could not but it was very much like the old days when her father would receive an important message only to silently read it himself while she waited impotently for the relaying of news. She was a patient person, on the whole, but the most trying thing to tranquility, in her mind, was waiting on someone else. It left her with little else to do that would aid in the furthering of the situation.

When Thaddeus looked up and commented, she smiled in reassurance. The statement though gave her pause.

"I am not so sure. To hate someone, one generally has to be acquainted with them and that is a bit disturbing. Was there any other clue as to the nature of their relationship?"Â?
Thaddeus swallowed once and reflected that going through every weapon on the wall would certainly be an exhausting exercise if every experience were like the one he just had. Even so, Claire was correct, and he didn’t mind telling her so.

“I do think that the wall, unpleasant as it is, does indeed merit examining. Who knows how many unsolved mysteries it might contain the solution to, after all.”

He nodded in agreement with Claire’s assessment, but added:

“I suppose I find Sorin’s apparent disdain for Lykaios some small relief.”

Somehow he couldn’t imagine those two personalities…connecting. Certainly that Sorin had any connection at all with Lykaios was disturbing but it could be explained. After all, the Tacharans had some sort of connection to The Wolf, and even Alfarinn had mentioned hearing some rumor of the killer. Leaders ended up knowing such people, he supposed.

He reviewed the information in his mind before elaborating on his initial response, for Claire’s benefit.

“Lykaios likely had the blade for a considerable amount of time, though I could not tell just how long.” He turned his head, explaining. “I tend to pick up repeated gestures very clearly; he brooded over that blade more than once. In any case, apparently he took it from Sorin in a confrontation of some kind. I gather that Sorin became increasingly angry with Lykaios for some reason. Lykaios, likewise angry, took the blade from its scabbard…” Frowning, he rubbed at his chin for a moment before coming back to explaining. “The sensing cut off very suddenly.” He made a gesture with his hands, trying to articulate the feeling he had experienced at the end. “I…the best way I can think of to explain it is that I hit a wall. Everything I was sensing just suddenly stopped...I was still sensing but the content completely changed in an instant. I’ve sensed Lykaios before, in the course of all of this, but this…didn’t even feel like the same person, even though I am certain it was him.”

He looked to Claire with a tilted head, realizing he was probably being as clear as mud while at the same time wondering what had caused things to go so wrong.

“I’m not sure how to describe it other than to say it was…strong. Compellingly so.” He blinked, realizing what he had just said, and raised his eyebrows at Claire. “I would venture to say…commanding.”
Claire 18 years ago
Claire nodded; even if the owners were dead there might still be mysteries to solve. Some of the victims were bound to be Anantya and that meant that they had family who perhaps did not know what happened to their kin.

She smiled at Thaddeus for his point of view, finding it comforting to think in such a manner. Resolving to try to look at the whole situation in a positive light, Claire decided that she would have to wait. Thaddeus might find something on a second try or perhaps their investigation into Emma's murder would reveal that Sorin had nothing to do with it.

Listening to the more detailed account of what he felt, Claire frowned at the sudden cut off of information.

"When I was tracking the book. I felt the trail. It was there and very strong but it too simply cut off. I don't know of any ability that can do that. I do feel that it would take some a great deal order than me to cut off my sensing off so completely."Â?

But that was not exactly what happened. Thaddeus said he still felt like he was sensing Lykaios through the blade but that the man felt different. Like sleep perhaps? Hypnotism? Then there was the brick wall... Claire thought of her sire and the reason was suddenly very obvious.

She smiled when Thaddeus came to the same conclusion as well.

"Yes, my sire is known for his ability to -command- someone's attention. So do you think then that this man was going to attack Sorin with his own blade? And then he was commanded to stop, perhaps taking the blade with him?"Â?

That would be promising -if- the exchange took place before Emma's death. It was very doubtful that Sorin would have further dealings with someone who tried to kill him.
Thaddeus nodded in agreement with Claire’s assessment of the situation.

“As audacious as that sounds, yes, I suspect that is exactly what happened. Would that we could be sure of what the conflict was about.”

That actually sounded quite like Lykaios, though Thaddeus would be surprised if The Wolf did not also enter the situation armed. His wayward brother apparently had a twisted sense of irony and he repressed a shiver at how well he was coming to understand the ancient vampire.

Frowning, he considered their situation; as always, they needed just a little more information and he felt the weapon in his gloved hand might have more to give. He looked up at Claire, his head tilted to one side.

“How would you feel about Alfarinn sensing this with me?” He held up a hand to finish explaining. “He may be able to help gain more information.”

He didn’t mention that, with just how strong the experience of sensing had been with this particular object, he wouldn’t mind having Alfarinn nearby. That, however, brought to mind all of the concerns he was trying to avoid dwelling on in the first place, and he earnestly hoped he would hear word from his lover soon.
Claire 18 years ago
Claire nodded and frowned thoughtfully before clearing the expression lest Thaddeus feel she were disappointed in the results.

"Do you never get conversation in the scene that you..see? I am not at all certain how your abilities work but I am aware that our talents are very individual."Â?

The question about Alfarinn sensing the sword as well surprised her. For one thing, she did not know he also had the psychometry talent but for the most part she was simply used to keeping these things among her clan, or even closer in this case.

Alfarinn and Sorin hated each other with something close to passion. Truthfully there might be more hatred coming from her sire but it had seemed to be returned over the years. So should she allow a person who is known to dislike him and would probably love to see him pronounced guilty of the crime come in contact with a piece of evidence that might help him do that?

There had been no rumors that Sorin was responsible for Emma's murder in all this time. If Alfarinn had wanted to make that claim then he could have, even without evidence to back it up it would have caused a lot damage to Sorin's position coming from an Elder, even one not of their clan. It could have given Morrigan a reason to investigate more closely as well. Claire knew that the Elder of the Rose was another person who despised her creator though they both found ways to work together during these long years.

The quiet of the past few centuries told her that Alfarinn was being objective despite his feelings for Sorin. She believed he would rather see the right man accused for his friend's murder than the wrong one, even someone he hated. And then there was Thaddeus, he seemed willing to trust the Evenhet with the information. Though love seemed to be a part of her friend's decisions where Alfarinn was concerned, she felt that he would not endanger Sorin or their clan.

The final portion of her decision was Alfarinn's right to know. He was one of the ones who fought this murderer side by side with Thaddeus and that earned him an equal claim to the information found within the man's home. He was a friend of Emma's and was willing to risk his life to help put her soul to rest, if it indeed concerned itself with such things, and for Thaddeus, her child.

"It is his right to know, and as you say, it may help us learn more."Â?
Thaddeus gave Claire a slight shake of the head in response to her question, casting about for a way to explain how he sensed.

“I suppose the most apt way to phrase the specifics of my sensing is that I get a feel for the situations surrounding the object.” He smiled slightly. “Literally and figuratively speaking. Sometimes I see things, and sometimes I just…know things. But I mostly rely on what I feel.”

It seemed more illogical than ever phrased that way, though he felt he was careful not to allow his imagination to get the better of him when he sensed and attempt to put together the somewhat abstract information in a reasonable fashion. He did, however, give a warm smile, shaking his head a little.

“I probably sound like a lunatic. That’s not far off from my own thoughts on the matter when this particular ability made itself known, in any case. Still, it’s proven helpful.”

Realizing he had given a little more personal information than he normally revealed, he rubbed absently at his chin and tried not to blush, embarrassed. He was better able to put those feelings aside, though, when Claire agreed that Alfarinn could help them. That was more than a little encouraging and brought about a shred of hope in this whole mess, that she was willing to cooperate with an Evenhet. Beyond that, even; it didn’t seem the agreement was made grudgingly.

“Good then. He should be coming by here at any time, but I think at this point having him linger here long would cause…well, talk, in any case. I believe we may have a more suitable meeting place, perhaps we could gather there? Sometime after the ball might be best.”
Claire 18 years ago
Claire nodded in response to how his ability worked, grateful that he was willing to explain. Many considered their abilities to be private and were reluctant to use them around others much less discuss how they functioned.

She smiled at Thaddeus's less than flattering personal view of the explanation and shook her head.

"Not at all. It is something that is difficult to explain perhaps even to one with a similar talent. They all seem to behave in a personal way for us. Perhaps they evolve in a manner we could best understand or use."Â?

By her own statement, it was interesting that Thaddeus received feelings off of objects instead of pictures or words. It was something that could be pondered for hours without coming up with a satisfying conclusion. Claire also felt that it would be impolite to contemplate it, especially with Thaddeus sitting here next to her. He was not a subject of her investigative work, but a clan mate and a friend. Sometimes it was difficult to turn off the instincts and habits that ingrained themselves into her behavior for centuries but she resolutely pushed the little puzzle aside in order to focus fully on the conversation.

"That sounds like a wonderful and very prudent idea. Besides."Â? She smiled kindly at him. "I am sure you are dedicated Nightsman but there are better things to be doing with the rest of your evening."Â?

She looked hands for a moment before meeting his eyes again.

"Thank you for looking at it. I do apologize for taking up your time with it...and for not bringing it to you sooner."Â?
Thaddeus nodded at Claire’s analysis, glad that she grasped what he was talking about in at least a general sense. He wasn’t certain if she was correct in her theory regarding the evolution of such abilities but it had merit…even if he couldn’t quite discern why his own sensing worked the way it did. Perhaps with more time he would better understand; he was, after all, still young in those terms.

He gave a little shrug at Claire’s assessment of his evening, speaking almost to himself.

“I think this may be the most important thing I do.”

Whatever came of their investigation, the conclusion would change so much. He shook his head, pulling out of deeper musings on that matter and reflecting that perhaps he shouldn’t take things so literally.

“But in any case, I should be going.”

With that he stood, giving Claire a rare warm smile and trying, in his awkward way, to again forgive her apology.

“We all do the best we can with what we know. Thank you for helping us.”

/ooc Outie outie