Unconventional Request (attn: Connie)

Highlighted by the early morning light, Rachyl lounged in one of the soft gray chairs by the front window. Rainbow sock-wrapped feet up on the window seat, she watched as the kids of the neighborhood gathered then clambered on a schoolbus. Tall kids, young kids, kids with backpacks for cartoons she didn't recognize. A couple moms with babies on their hips or in strollers.

It seemed the school bus stop for the neighborhood was right at their corner. Convenience, for sure, but not one that she would really need to worry about for a good four or five years.

An old gray Cadillac pulled up behind the bus and a young child got out, but the bus had started to pull away. The child chased it for a few steps, then got back into the car. Rachyl could see the driver - probably the parent of said child - motioning animatedly. She felt bad for the poor kid; it likely wasn't his or her fault the bus was missed.

As the car drove away after the bus, a thought struck Rachyl. She reached out to the side table and picked up the cordless phone, dialed, and listened to the ring.

Connie 18 years ago
The night had been a long one; more and more of her regular department were getting switched out with younger accountants. It was frustrating because everything got stopped up for a week as the new hires acclimated; it was refreshing because some of the exiting members of her team were pretty horrible, both at interpersonal skills as well as basic hygeine.

Strains of the Star Spangled Banner caught Connie's attention as she ascended the steps to her apartment.

As the vampire fumbled in her purse for the door keys, she also pulled out her cell phone. Groping blindly and tiredly for the 'talk' button, she inserted her key into the large lock.
"Stone."
Rachyl 18 years ago
"Hi Connie, it's Rachyl." She heard the other woman's greeting and the obvious exhaustion in her voice. "You sound tired, so I'll be quick. I was wondering if possibly there was a huge favor you could do for me, help me out with something."

She took a breath and let it out, then said, "I need you to teach me how to drive."
Connie 18 years ago
Groaning inwardly, Connie replied to the human's peppy greeting, "Hi Rachyl. You're too peppy for seven in the morning."

She listened to her requested favor, stopping still in the middle of the huge door. "Why me? Why not Meegan? Or Nyra?"
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl had anticipated this question, but not so soon, and certainly not before the first lesson. "I'll answer that later. Can I meet you, say either at your place or at the Mall parking garage, sometime after sunset?"

She wanted to give Connie time to sleep and prepare. Rachyl didn't recall, though, ever telling Connie or Nyra that she was afraid of driving. She wouldn't say anything til they met; hopefully as a teacher herself Connie would understand.
Connie 18 years ago
Tilting the phone away from her face, Connie yawned loudly, her mouth wide; she heard her jaw click as she tried to respond to the time. "That's fine, Rachyl. My place is halfway to the Mall from yours, so just meet me here."

They exchanged parting words. Thumbing off the phone, Connie dropped her purse next to the island. The phone landed squarely between the zippers, but the vampire wasn't paying attention. She was already climbing the stairs to her modular closet. Her blouse and skirt came off, and she even removed her bra, to be replaced by a soft pink cami and a pair of Looney Tunes boxers.

She saw that Nyra wasn't in the bed - indeed, not anywhere in their apartment - so she leapt from the "office," spinning in the air, to land at the end of the bed. The jump felt good; she hadn't done that in a while.

Her brain tried to figure out just when she'd last done it, as she knee-walked across the bed, but as soon as her face hit the pillow, all thoughts of time and place vanished into darkness.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Powering off the cordless, Rachyl stood from her lazy perch and stretched languorously. The gray cadillac drove past the house again, minus one occupant.

Slipping her feet back into her slippers, she padded through the house and prepared tea, coffee, and toast for Meegan. It wasn't much, but it would make a cute breakfast in bed.

(( rachyl and connie out ))