A request

Marthinus peeked in Carol's office but found it empty. He had assumed he'd find both Carol and Simon there. He had heard about the fire and wanted to check on them both. Shutting her office door he accessed the computer panel on the wall. Searching for both their location, he saw that Carol had not returned yet but Simon was in his office. Quietly Marthinus made his way there.

A few minutes later he was standing outside his great x5 grandfather's door. It opened immediately for him and he entered. Simon knew he was there. Simon's quarters were as large as Ellis' and connected as well. His eyes flicked over to the entry way leading to her quarters. It was sealed shut.

Figuring Simon was upstairs in his office, he turned towards the staircase and walked up the two flights. It was dimly lit and on the west side of his apartment, identical to Ellis'. Funny, he thought a lot of her now. More so than before. Funny. He turned the corner and entered the office.

'Hello Simon.'

Simon Huntington 18 years ago
Simon heard the erratic heartbeat as Marthinus stepped off the elevator. He wasn't sure who it belonged to until he checked the computer. He programmed the door to allow Marthinus entry and sat back in his wing tipped chair. Simon desperately wanted a fire place, but with living underground...well that wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

Neither was Marthinus getting any better. Simon tuned out the heartbeat and waited for Marthinus to join him up in his office. As the man turned the corner, he could see the strain on his face. The healthy redness was replaced again by an ashen, sad expression.

Simon stood as Marthinus greeted him. They looked at each other for a few moments which turned into a few minutes. Finally Simon spoke quietly, just above a whisper.

'It doesn't have to be borrowed time.'
Marthinus T. Steyn 18 years ago
Marthinus smiled and unbuttoned his jacket. Nodding he took a seat at the wing tipped chair opposite of Simon's.

'Is that the perception ability that I hear about? Hyper sense of smell, sight and hearing.' Resting comfortably in the leather chair he shrugged in reply to Simon's statement.

'I have no desire to die yet, Simon. Not your way or mine. I do have a request.'

Simon grinned at Marthinus mention of the ability.
'Yes, so I hear.' Pun intended. Sitting back, Simon watched Marthinus speak casually of his death. It disturbed him and very little did these dark days.

'It's ironic, isn't it? It's like we've just met and I've known you all your life.' He rested his elbows on the arm rest. 'I hope you're not considering...what I think you're considering.'

Eternity. The fountain of youth was being created in the sub levels of Duibne. It was right there. Having used it once already meant addiction sooner than they could probably find the medicine or a new heart. Well, they could find a new heart but he doubted Marthinus would allow Simon to do what he did best.

He was fairly certain Marthinus would die first.
'I am not considering taking Eternity.'

That was the bloody truth. Marthinus had no desire to turn a perfectly good mind into a gurgling hypersensitive glob of gray matter. He was considering something drastic though. Something Simon might not want to hear but would have to understand.

'It's time for me to step down as CEO of Duibne. There are things to attend to out of country and you know exactly what I mean by that.' The family, specifically the Huntington clan. 'There has been no word on my family in South Africa. Jacob and I are leaving tomorrow to check on them and the others. You and I both know we need someone outside to speak to the out of country Tacharan brethren.'

The challengers will be coming and if anything, Marthinus could head off a few by aiding Simon in a show of strength. At least, that was his hope.
Simon was releaved to hear Marthinus' decision on the drug. He had seen weaker humans take that path, so it made him proud to know none of his kin were similiar. However Marthinus resignation and reason for leaving did not make him any happier.

Simon thought a moment, trying to word his reply in the most reasonable and profressional manner possible.

'No.'

Ok well that wasn't reasonable, but it would have to do. Shifting uncomfortably in the chair, Simon sighed. 'Rather, I don't think it's a good idea. Leaving now, with power shifting within the clan. Don't you think that smells of weakness? Your position within the clan is well known, I need you here. I need the human front of Tacharan reaffirmed. Who will take your place? If not Jacob...who?'

Marthinus only looked at Simon with that calm Huntington expression. Simon knew he was right, but he had a feeling things were only going to get worse now. His summons to the council would follow this bombing, he knew that. Tacharan would be blamed for it...some how. Alfarinn would believe him, he knew that. Simon nodded and leaned forward, speaking softly.

'Check on the family, but return when you've made a decision about...your health.' Simon would never offer a turning, not to his own flesh and blood. He wasn't sure if he could do that. He wasn't even sure he'd let someone do it for him.

Simon held his hand out to his greatest grandson. 'You will walk protected under Tacharan's mark. Be well.'
Marthinus could not help but look at Simon now as a son, him being just young enough looking for it to be possible. It was a shame. Now, with Ellis gone and their relationship stronger, he felt closer to this man who had been a quiet constant all his life.

He reached out and took Simon's hand.

'I will not fail you or Tacharan. You have my word.'

And with that Marthinus rose and quietly left Simon's office, the Domicile, and finally Nachton.

((Marthinus out - Inactive))