Peace and Quiet (Open)

After all of the excitement since she got to town, Maeve definitely felt the need for some peace and quiet. Remembering the garden that was in town she thought that might be the perfect place to find what she needed. She stepped onto one of the paths and began to wander aimlessly through the garden. It was such a beautiful area and the smells from the jasmine and other flowers helped add to the relaxing atmosphere, at least for her.

It was nice to not have anywhere to be or anything to do. Her life was usually so busy that moments like these were rare. There were always phone calls to be returned, and appointments to keep. Luckily for her she'd been in the business long enough that her desire to work at night was taken as an interesting personality quirk and no one made a big deal about it.

Taking a deep breath, she did her best to release the tension that had been in her shoulders and neck since the night of the ball. Finally she found a bench with a spectacular view and sank down onto it. She closed her eyes and lifted her face to the nighttime sky before settling back comfortably to enjoy the flowers and the sounds of the night.

Valentine 18 years ago
She had to stop spending all her time in New York, really. It was a great town and it was easy enough to claim business kept her there, but it didn’t. Her manager was capable and her salesmen were all first rate. Maybe not al of the salesmen, the new guy wasn’t finding his groove and wasn’t making the sales he should, too many people walking out on him. Of course, he looked tasty so maybe it wouldn’t be a total loss if he decided to find employment somewhere else.

Surprising herself, Val decided she needed a walk, she would have preferred a ride but hadn’t been on a horse in quite some time, so a walk it was. The gardens were lovely, perhaps a little stark, a little bare, but winter weather wasn’t something that green and growing things favored. The cold, however, didn’t bother Val; she’d lived most of her life, and un-life, in Chicago and Ireland so cold she was used to.

Staring at the sky rather than watching where she was walking Val nearly ran right into a bench and the bench was occupied at that.

“Sorry about that. Not quite sure where my head is, I didn’t run you over did I?”

She had recovered her balance fast enough and smiled in apology.
Maeve 18 years ago
She was completely lost in her own world. Not entirely surprising, at least to her, she was once again thinking about her designs and what she should show for the spring. Of course she got her best ideas when she was alone in the quiet of the night and able to simply let her mind wander. It was a good thing she kept a supply of sketch pads and other necessities at her suite here in Nachton. If she got some brilliant idea, she'd be able to get it down on paper before she forgot it completely. She made a mental note to herself to have Amy send over the sketches she'd had in progress before she left. It was looking more like she was going to be here longer than she'd planned. She wasn't worried though. She had good people in Scotland that could manage her affairs in her absence.

She was so involved in her own thoughts she was caught totally by surprise by someone speaking near her. She opened her eyes and smiled at the younger appearing woman. It was hard to know for sure in this city.
"No, not at all. I'm fine. Are you alright? You didn't bang your shins or anything on the bench, did you?" That was Maeve for you, always concerned for the well being of others.

"I'm Maeve, by the way. Would you like to sit down?"
Valentine 18 years ago
Upon hearing the other’s concern Val continued to smile and cheerfully brushed off the concern; she’d run into far worse than banged shins.

While it was tempting to keep going, she had been rather solitary lately. Solitary had its place but it got old fast.

“No, no I’m fine the bench missed me by a mile. Nice to meet you I’m Valentine.”

She offered her hand to Maeve, it was an automatic gesture and Val had the art of the handshake down cold.

After waiting to see if her hand was rejected or accepted she made herself comfortable on the bench, oblivious to how cold it was.

“Thanks, it is a gorgeous night out isn’t it? I can’t blame you for taking advantage of it.”
Maeve 18 years ago
She reached up and took the offered hand shaking it firmly and smiled. "Well I'm glad no shins or anything else were bruised. It's nice to meet you as well Valentine."

She raised her face toward the sky and took another deep breath as the other woman settled on the bench. Her smile was serene and she felt some of the tension and stress that had been plaguing her begin to fade.

"Yes it is a beautiful night out. And very relaxing here in the gardens." She looked back at the woman sitting next to her. "Just out for a walk or did you have a specific destination in mind and just taking a detour?"

She wasn't trying to pry and her tone was one of general innocent curiosity. She just liked people and was actually glad for the company. It was quiet here and while she'd been enjoying the solitude and serenity, it was nice to share it with someone else as well. She stretched her feet out in front of her, crossing them at the ankles. Yes very quiet and relaxing.
Valentine 18 years ago
Placing great store in handshakes Val nodded at Maeve’s not a dead fish, good.

Crossing her legs she began to play with a ring on her right hand, it was a habit Val wasn’t always aware of. Although, when she caught herself she generally made a promise not to wear rings. That never seemed to last though.

Did she have a destination? Not for the past twenty years or so, not really and the idea made Val laugh. Sure, she kept busy and entertained but she did need a new challenge.

“I may have found a very long detour, but at least the road side attractions have been good. So I can’t complain too much.”

No even short, that one new challenge Val had to admit she was nearly happy and nearly was a lot closer than most folks got.

“Do you favor freezing gardens in the middle of the night or are you caught in a detour too?”

It was light and friendly but sincere. However, she wouldn’t take any offense if Maeve sidestepped the question. It really wasn’t any of Val’s business after all.
Maeve 18 years ago
She laughed brightly and nodded. "Well if you're going to take a detour, at least you should enjoy it. Detours and getting lost along the way can both be fun if you can make the best of it."

She really had to give the question some thought. Finally she turned to her and smiled. "Well I don't think that I'd really say it's either necessarily. I just needed some peace and quiet to clear my head after a rather...interesting few days."

Interesting was one way to put it. Stressful was another. At least her ankle had healed, and she wasn't hurt any worst than that. Now if she could just figure out what else had happened. That one still had her more than a little confused, and no answers were in sight. She had to believe that the answers would come in their own time, or the uncertainty might drive her nuts.
Valentine 18 years ago
It was Val's turn to laugh. Something in the way the other woman qualified the last few days as 'interesting' gave her enough confidence to make her next words a statement, not a question.

"You were at the ball too. I don't think interesting quite covers it, but you look like you came out of it OK which is good."Â?

Interesting didn't cover it. She'd ruined a perfectly good dress, had to stop flirting, gotten into a fight with the valets when trying to claim her car; irritating was a far more accurate word.

It seemed to Val rather significant that Maeve had come out unscathed. Either she had been far from the blast, very lucky or a quick healer. For now it didn't really matter, and was just something to be aware of.
Maeve 18 years ago
Maeve gave an exasperated nod of her head. "Yes I was there. You're right that interesting falls a bit short of describing that night. Other things have happened as well to lead to the interesting characterization, though that's still probably not exactly the right word for it."

She looked over at the other woman more closely. She noticed that the redhead didn't seem any worse for wear either. "Yes I was fortunate. It was a good thing they had heavy tables there. My...date managed to pull me down under one to avoid most of the flying debris. You seem like you weathered that storm fairly well yourself."

Of course Maeve couldn't help but wonder if they shared the same characteristics allowing them to emerge from that experience mostly unscathed. That possibility was certainly not an uncommon one here in Nachton, but there were enough humans as well to make it so you didn't simply blurt out hey I'm a vampire to everyone you met. Time would tell, and she was perfectly comfortable talking to either.
Valentine 18 years ago
“There are more entertaining reasons for a date to pull you under the tables.”

She smiled teasingly with that quip. Certainly some people might have been embarrassed or taken offense, but Val felt it was easier to back peddle and apologize than to try to avoid stepping on toes.

“Oh a few minor cuts and bruises, all things considered I suppose I got off fairly lucky. Although I’ll admit to being jealous you had a date for the evening.”

Maybe she’d try the House of Pain. Sure, it wasn’t Val’s usual scene but, from what she’d heard, it would have some distinct advantages; and she looked good in leather.

“Worst that I can say though is the damned valets didn’t want to give me my car back, but who plans on losing their purse and ticket in an explosion?”
Nicholae 18 years ago
Once he'd fed, Nic left the Towers looking for his head to be cleared in the cold, night air. Still without wheels, he was again on foot, and the matter irritated him. He had been to three local car dealers and got satisfaction from none. It was becoming more and more apparent that he might actually have to fly to Italy to get his bike, hence the irritation.

Tonight though his mind wasn't on the bike issue much. Instead he still had to figure out what he was going to do about Maeve. He had yet to call her, but then a part of him sort of hoped she might call him when she got the flower's he had sent to her. Not that it was expected, but a part of him had hoped she might call. When she hadn't, he decided he would call her...he just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Detouring down a different street, Nic caught the scent of flowers. He had no clue what the flowers were, but he liked the smells carried on the night air. As he neared what appeared to be a garden, he almost couldn't believe his eyes. There, just ahead in his path, was Maeve. She was sitting on a bench with another woman, and Nic knew it must be fate. As he drew closer, the other woman turned her head and Nic recognized her as well.

"I do beg your pardon ladies, but I am feeling quite fortuitous at the moment. I hope I'm not interrupting?"

The next few minutes would be crucial to Nic in finding out two things that would effect his immediate future.
Maeve 18 years ago
"Okay, I'll give you that one, though I guess you have to take what you can get." She smiled back and added a wink for good measure. It was good to be able to joke. Things had been way too serious the last few days. She really needed the time out to just relax and laugh.

Her smile turned a bit rueful and she shook her head slightly.
"Well I wouldn't be too jealous if I were you. It was the first date I'd had in I don't know how many years and we got blown up. Not too lucky there I assure you."

Then there was what happened afterwards and she still didn't know what to make of that. The talk with Colin afterwards had been deep and intense, and left her feeling a bit drained. She knew the answers that she sought weren't exactly easy ones, but it was the questions themselves that had her feeling somewhat adrift. She wasn't sure if finding the flowers from Nic made things more or less confusing. She appreciated the gesture, but she was still in such a whirl of emotions that she hadn't called. But then neither had he.

She was just shaking her head to attempt to clear it and get back to relaxing when she heard his voice. It was quite honestly the last voice she had expected to hear, and she didn't have a clue what to say to him. She felt totally unprepared for this, so she guessed she was just going to have to make it up as she went. She took a deep breath and turned to look up at him with a smile.

"Hello, Nic. You're not interrupting as far as I'm concerned, but I'll let Valentine here answer for herself." Okay that wasn't so bad. Of course the conversation had just begun and her emotions were nowhere near calm.
Valentine 18 years ago
“In a while hmmm? Well all the more reason to go for broke when pulled under the table. It would probably be the only good thing to come out of having your date blown up.”

She hadn’t had to alter her approach to the subject, not since Maeve had joked about things too. Although Val rather hoped this wasn’t a subtle request for advice or even a friendly ear.

When it suited her Valentine could be just as empathetic as the next person, but she hardly liked to get that involved with a near stranger. Maeve, however, seemed fairly self possessed and not likely to go after a random person on a bench, so she was probably perfectly safe.

Turning to the new voice Val gave one of her best ‘Look A Client’ smiles. She’d very much made up her mind that Nic had been putting her on and was going to have the bikes returned tomorrow. He did like to cut things close didn’t he? Of course if he drove like that too she might have a very regular sale, assuming he didn’t kill himself in the process.

“No of course not. Good to see you again Nic.”
Nicholae 18 years ago
Maeve's response wasn't as good as he might have hoped, but Nic was glad she still spoke to him. He resisted the urge to lean down and kiss her cheek, feeling very much at odds. He couldn't stop the look of longing, and hope that filled his face though. Afraid he might scare her, he turned to Val.

"I apologize to you both, for my lack of contact. Time has a tendency to escape from me these days. But Valentine...I haven't forgotten about that bike. Have you had any luck in locating anything along the lines we discussed."

If only he had the bike now, he'd be blowing off steam outside the city limits. The need for speed seemed almost overwhelming.

Yet while he spoke to Val, his eyes and thoughts continually drifted back to Maeve.

"Do you like to ride?"

He asked casually, hoping for a positive response.
Maeve 18 years ago
If she hadn't been confused enough already, the look that he gave her just made it that much worse. What exactly did he want or expect from her? She'd seen the look before, more than once actually. And more than once it was from some guy that just wanted to have a good time and nothing more. Those kind of guys were easy to deal with, 'not interested' and walk away. She didn't know what to make of it coming from him. He'd seemed nice in the short times that she'd really spent with him, but maybe she'd misjudged him. She just didn't know what to think at this point.

It was almost with some relief that she listened as he turned to Valentine. Bike huh? Somehow she really doubted it was the pedalling kind. She was a bit surprised to hear him discussing bikes with the other young woman though. She wouldn't have pegged her as a motorcycle dealer. She looked on quietly while he spoke. When he focused on her fully again, rather than sidelong glances, she was glad the question was a simple one and not something complicated. That conversation was going to awkward enough with just the two of them present.

"Actually, I've never been on a motorcycle before. Wouldn't even know where to begin with one. I've always been more comfortable with a fully enclosed car myself, but then I've never known anyone that had one either."

Okay, so that was a really long winded answer for a simple question. She just hoped her unease and nervousness was well hidden. Her voice had been steady, though she knew she wouldn't have fooled Colin or Fiona for a minute. 'Fashion show face woman. Never let them see you're about to crawl out of your skin from nerves.' Sure, but that was just mean ass critics and buyers. This was...a guy.
Valentine 18 years ago
Sitting up a little straighter, if such a thing were possible, Val grinned and waved aside the apology while crossing her legs. He was here now and still looking to buy so no harm done.

Innocently watching him speak to Maeve she realized Nic must have been her date. Well wasn’t that an interesting little tidbit. In their short meeting Val had pegged Nic as having a roving eye so it didn’t surprise her he’d have a date to the ball. What surprised her is the seeming apology he offered to Maeve.

“I called in a few favors and managed to get two on approval.”

She smoothly retrieved a business card and a pen from her purse and quickly wrote a few things on the back.

“You’ll have to go into New York but that’s the address and if you give them my card and ask for Geoff he’ll get you set up with which ever one you like best. Providing your credit checks out of course.”

She tossed him a wink, clearly playing with him. It would be rather unexpected that part of the transaction didn’t go as planed.
Nicholae 18 years ago
Excited to hear she hadn't forgotten him, and had actually brought two bikes over from Europe, Nic grinned like a little boy.

"Two? Val, that's great!"

Taking the card and reading it, he nodded.

"In fact, I was just thinking two might be better than one anyway. And, just so I don't need to wait, if the deal is acceptable, I'll have a cashier's check delivered while I'm there. It's much easier that way, don't you think?"

Nic winked at Val, and then turned back to Maeve.

"And you, lovely lady, will need to let me introduce you to one of the more exciting modes of transportation. If you don't ride yourself, I'd be happy to take you on as my partner, if you think you're up to it."

And in his elation, Nic winked at her as well. He did truly hope she didn't turn him down.

He was so overcome with the idea of being on a bike again, Nic clapped his hands and rubbed them together.

"See! I knew this was going to be my lucky night."

Bending towards Val, he took her hand, and brushed his lips over her knuckles.

"Valentine...I will be in touch just as soon as I return from New York, to let you know how things went."

Then turning to Maeve, he also took her hand in his, but he squeezed it just a bit, and instead of brushing his lips across her knuckles, he turned her palm and kissed it. And then in a flurry of enthusiasm, he let her go.

"And now ladies, I'll say good night."
Valentine 18 years ago
There was nothing wrong with financing things, as a dealer there was good money to be made when people did finance them. She'd learned that early on in life. Still if Nic was willing to pay up front and take both of them, she was hardly going to complain. If she was lucky, she'd just picked up another reliable client and if that were true, it was worth the effort to get the bikes.

She smiled charmingly at the light kiss to her hand.

"My cell is on the card please do let me know how things work out, although Geoff has never let me down yet. I'm sure he'll even arrange to get the second one shipped the rest of the way here if you'd like."Â?

For a price of course. Val would be lost without Geoff, he handled her best clients, her staff and the dealership. She didn't lightly turn a sale over to him and this one had required some extra hoops. So much the better if Nic took both, the extra commission would be a well-earned bonus.
Nicholae 18 years ago
While he hoped to get even just one small word of encouragement from Maeve, he had to assume his actions the night of the ball were still not sitting well with her.

He wasn't about ready to give up, but he didn't want to press his luck either. A little more space would be a small price to pay, if he could ultimately work things out with her.

Touching the corner of Val's business card to his forehead, Nic winked at the red head again. A slightly less exuberant smile was sent to Maeve, and Nic turned on his heel to continue his walk. He now wanted to get back to the Towers quickly, so he could make arrangements to get into New York tomorrow night, and have the money transferred to a local bank, ready to be delivered upon the purchase of the bikes. He had already made up his mind that he would be taking both. Even if they turned out not to be exactly what he wanted, they had to be better than hoofing it.

As he crossed the street, he allowed himself one last look back at Maeve.

(Nic out)
Maeve 18 years ago
She really hadn't meant to let Nic leave without saying anything at all to him, but she was still trying to sort out the jumble of emotions in her head and heart. Thanks for the flowers, they were beautiful might have been a good place to start. Unfortunately she just didn't think about it at the time. Now she just sat there and watched him walk away. She closed her eyes and sighed. She would swear male/female relations weren't this complicated 300 years ago.

Pulling herself together she turned to the woman next to her.
"So do you just sell motorcycles or cars too?

Yes it was lame, but the last thing she wanted to do was talk about what had just happened between her and Nic. It wasn't that she was just assuming the redhead would be one to pry, but no harm in heading the possibility off at the pass. Right?
Valentine 18 years ago
“Oh generally cars. The Ducatis were a favor and hell to get a hold of let me tell you. My sales manager might forgive me if Nic takes them both. If he doesn’t take either I might have to start look for a new manager because Geoff sure won’t be happy with me. You don’t need a job do you?”

It was slightly unusual for Val to take off on a tangent like that but she’d been mentally playing the sale out weighing what little she knew of Nic against what all she knew of Geoff. If Nic didn’t take, at least one she’d be less than happy.

That was a shame too as he seemed to have been Maeve’s date. It wasn’t terribly polite to take out a new acquaintance’s date but then business was business. He was a good-looking guy, Maeve certainly could have done worse for herself.

“But seriously, you didn’t let –him- pull you under the table?”

She smiled winningly, it was one sentence, that’s all and she wouldn’t’ push any further, but curiosity did kill the cat, didn’t it.