Monday Afternoon

Meegan hummed softly to the Bob Dylan song on the radio as she pulled into the drive way. She was going to have to go buy her own car, renting would just get too cost prohibitive. She'd look on line while Rachyl rested. Meegan was determined she'd rest.

She parked in front of the steps, and jogged around to help Rachyl out, the small brown bag still in hand. She had no intention of doing more than throwing it all out, but she'd not seen a place to do that at the Clinic.

Silence followed them into the house. Meegan was not going to speak until Rachyl did. It just seemed like the right thing to do. She took them up the stairs and into the master bedroom. There she gingerly sat Rachyl on the edge of her bed and untied and pulled off her boots.

She walked away to take a silk pajama set out of the dresser drawer and returned to find Rachyl's coat lying on the bed. She helped her lover undress and slip into the pajamas.

Once Rachyl was comfortable in the bed, she kissed her on the forehead and whispered.

"I'm going to get you some lunch."

And walked from the room, swallowing tears as she went.

Rachyl 18 years ago
Meegan was handling her like she was fine china. Expensive crystal. "Well most crystal is expensive." She stared for only a moment at the corner of the wall and ceiling opposite the bed before she flipped the heavy quilt off her and slid onto the floor.

One of the intrusive thoughts passing through her brain as she slid her little pastel blue bunny slippers onto her feet was her gladness at the newness of the floors. They didn't squeak, so... she might not be caught.

Coming to the bottom of the stairs, she turned into the hallway but saw movement behind the frosted door. Noticing it ajar, she crept forward and saw Meegan at the island. When she turned, Rachyl stepped back, then down the hall. Remembering the sun room's door into the kitchen, she went through the office. Twisting the door handle with her left hand, she winced - her arm still hurt, but hadn't bruised yet - and swung it open to her left. Stepping through the gap she brushed her breast against the edge. Gasping, still sore, she made a mental note to have the door's hinges reversed.

Creeping through the sun room - no, striding purposefully - she peered through the tinted glass. Barely making out Meegan's form, she opened the door a crack. New fixtures were SO choice - no telltale squeaking or creaking or clicks! "well that could be bad and good," she realized - and made sure Meegan wasn't holding or wielding anything sharp pointy or otherwise deadly.

When Meegan opened the refrigerator door, Rachyl moved the few steps to the island, and pulled out a stool. Sitting upon it, she leaned forward, then cringed, stopping a gasp by biting down on her lip, when her breast banged into the edge of the marble top.

She waited for Meegan to notice her.
Meegan 18 years ago
"hmm, tomato, carrots, snap peas, ooh black bean and corn salsa. I forgot about that. hmm, Maybe some smoked salmon too. Omega threes." Her hands full of salad making, Meegan turned and pushed the door closed with her toe. A scream pierced the air and every thing fell to the floor; rolling bouncing and splatting. She'd taken her boots off by the kitchen door and she felt black bean and corn salsa soaking into her nylons.

Her right hand had instinctively flown to the island counter and the pronged serrated knife resting on the cutting board. Realizing this she dropped the knife like it burned and turned startled eyes on Rachyl.

"Explain."

She blinked several times, breathing deeply to still her rapidly beating heart and her lungs' desire to hyperventilate. To say she was angry would not be enough. Rachyl knew...knew better than to sneak up on her or jump out at her. She did not take being startled well, not any more any way. She pulled several paper towels from the roll and crouched to clean up her foot and the floor. The anger craving an outlet, made her movements choppy and ineffective, fueling the anger.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl was rather startled when Meegan screamed, and embarassed when her presence caused her lover to drop everything she'd been carrying. She hated seeing food wasted, especially when the floor didn't appreciate all the hard work going into it.

Her voice was cold, harsh and angry. "Explain." Rachyl didn't know what to say. Standing, she grabbed the roll of papertowels, and held it out for Meegan, who began pulling sheets from it.
"I wanted to thank you for being here for me. It couldn't wait, and I didn't expect to scare you into dropping food or almost slicing your hand open with the knife." Kneeling just beyond the edge of the goop spreading on the floor, she caught Meegan's chin with her hand. "I wanted to say a lot of things that needed to be said and needed to be said now, but you walked out of the bedroom too fast and I heard you kind of sob, so I was worried. I figured coming into the kitchen through the correct door would be more of a surprise than just appearing, but it seems I was wrong. I'm sorry."

She saw the nearly spastic look of fright and overriding anger on her lover's face. She hung her head, stood, and pulled the trashcan over.
Meegan 18 years ago
"I was not the one in danger of being injured by that knife, Rachyl."

She managed to get most of the goo off of her foot, then went to work on the floor. Everything her hand came in contact with, went into the trash. Two perfect tomatoes, baby carrots, half a pound of snap peas and nearly an entire smoked salmon. She was just to angry to care about it. She hated this reaction in herself. Not until this whole vampire thing had she ever reacted in such a way. Before she would have put her hand to her heart and laughed. She sighed and tossed the last of the snap peas into the garbage can.

Standing she lifted her left foot reached up into her pants leg and pulled the soiled nylon from her leg and tossed it into the trash, it's twin shortly joining it. Finally she turned to Rachyl.

"I'm there for you because I love you. You are doing this thing for us, and for me. How could I not be there? I was crying because I felt awful for you, and there was nothing I could do about it."

She sighed and placed the trash can back in it's place. "I would prefer you just open the door and announce yourself. I may have been startled, but not so scared that I'd pick up a knife, preparing to defend myself to the death with it."

She closed the space between them, her foot sticking slightly to the floor, and pulled Rachyl into her arms. She was still ticked, but it would fade and it wasn't her fault. She bent her neck and placed a kiss on the crown of Rachyl's head.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl nodded. "It would have been an interesting struggle, with both of us trained martial artists."

A growing pit of embarassment and internal stupidity formed and settled in Rachyl's belly. She hated seeing perfectly good tomatoes go to waste, not to mention the rest of the food. Meegan had such great little snack ideas... Then again, she pondered, noting how much more full the trashcan had become, great big snack ideas...

Rachyl's eyes misted as Meegan spoke, ending with "nothing I could do about it." She nibbled on her lip, brow furrowed, as Meegan put the trashcan back.

The pain in her breasts was minimal to the pain in her heart, her belly, knowing she had scared Meegan so completely. Into her lover's chest, she mumbled, tears flowing freely,
"I didn't mean to scare you, Meegan. I just wanted to see you, to thank you."

She suddenly just wanted to curl up in bed and cuddle. Instead, she looked up at Meegan and sniffled. "Maybe we should set some ground rules on approaching each other when busy with work. I could put little bells on my slippers, or even pick up a black leather collar with a bell?" She tried to keep the imminent laugh from her voice, her lip still quivering as it was with tears, as she gazed into Meegan's emotionally tormented orbs. She brushed a lock of her lover's hair out of her face.
Meegan 18 years ago
"Make it black velvet and you have a deal." Meegan chuckled and hugged Rachyl tighter. She felt a little stupid for reacting the way she had. Sighing softly she reluctantly pushed Rachyl from her and sat her firmly on the island stool.

"Sit there, talk while I make food. You need to eat." She planted a kiss on Rachyl's forehead and winked at her before turning back to the fridge. She'd have to come up with something else for lunch. She glanced back at the island and its contents; sliced baguette, grilled chicken, chopped red onion, baby spinach. She had been planning to make a spinach salad, but that seemed a bit lost now.

She looked back into the fridge; bean sprouts, mushrooms, edamame, and sobu noodles sat one shelf. She'd planned to make stir fry later in the week, but it would work now. She'd add the spinach onion and chicken to it. Other wise she'd have to throw out the spinach as a few of the leaves had brown edges.

She pulled the stir fry things out and set them on the island, pulled the wok from the pan rack above her head and set it on the range top poured in a small measure of peanut oil and turned the heat to medium. She pulled a large colander from another cabinet and began dumping vegetables in it, after they were rinsed she turned them out onto a clean, large white dish towel.

Those went into the hot wok and she repeated the procedure with the spinach. She left it to dry and went back to the range. Wok paddle in hand she flipped and stirred the veggies. The onion began to turn translucent so she added more oil and the chicken. The mushrooms looked done so she added the noodles, warmed them through then threw the spinach on top, turned off the gas, and placed a lid on top of the wok.

As the spinach steamed she pulled jars and bottles from fridge and spice cabinet. Bowl and whisk came next, she poured, shook and whisked, tasted added some more of something and then stuck the bowl into the microwave to warm the sauce. All the while she listened to Rachyl speak. Sometimes it was just better to listen and hold your counsel until a more appropriate time.

The sauce went over the stir fry and she mixed the lot to together with two wooden spoons. She pulled two large shallow bowls from one cabinet and put half the stir fry in each bowl. Meegan then took out two sets of black lackered chopsticks and a fork from the utensils drawer, along with the bed tray from another cabinet. She set both bowls on the tray and pulled to wine glasses from their rack under one cabinet, pulled a bottle of Japanese wine out of the mini wine cooler next to the fridge. It was quickly corked and poured into both glasses. After setting it on a shelf in their fridge, she pulled out two bottles of water and added them to the tray.

"Now, let's get you back to bed." She smiled at Rachyl and picked up the tray, indicating she should lead the way. Eventually she would respond to the words she had heard.
Rachyl 18 years ago
"Black velvet, hmm. I think I might just have a black choker somewhere..." Rachyl spaced for a moment as Meegan sat her on the stool. "Sit there, talk while I make food. You need to eat."

Rachyl snorted.
"Me? Talk? Endlessly while you shake your head or nod at me or have me go on and on like some kind of Shakespearean soliloquy? Girl you are nuts. I'm the listener of this relationship, and this kind of turnabout is just not fair play!"

She glared ineffectually at the back of Meegan's head. With a resigned sigh, she decided to just ramble on.

"Fine. Well, for starters, I think we need to have a non-housewarming housewarming party. Definately invite Connie and Nyra. And at some point we need to have some girls' nights scheduled with them, they seriously need to get out of the house. Of course we'll probably give them free rights to a bedroom whenever they visit. And you know Nyra'll be great with kids. I wonder if she'd consent to doing some art for the house? Sculpture and the like. Or a few paintings for conspicuously empty corners or halls.

Speaking of empty halls, I really don't like the fact that the end of the hall down near our bedroom doesn't have a window. We should have one put in. And maybe instead of using the lower tiny bedroom for storage, we could make an easterly-facing sun room? Or would having two sunrooms be too tacky?" Not waiting for a response, since Meegan was occupied with very sharp knives and burning fire, she pushed on.

"In addition to maid service we should see about getting snow removal and landscaping contracts. I don't know if you'd ever want to shovel snow, but I enjoy it, it's good for the back and butt, and I'm sure I could think of a few ways to warm up afterwards." Meegan shot her a cockeyed arched eyebrow, and turned back to her work.

"I still haven't figured out what we should do with the basement, though. A home theatre of sorts would be fun, or maybe our own gym. Then again we still do go to the one across from the office, so that might not be such a brilliant idea."

Her mind jumped a couple thousand miles away. "I was thinking of Veronica the other night while you were drawing. I haven't heard from her in months. I do miss her. I wonder if she got our Christmas presents? I'm sure her friend Emily... Emily? Yeah, Emily, would let us know if something had happened to her."

Suddenly her mind snapped back to Nachton, specifically 821 White Ash. "I realized my period's coming up next week. How long do you think the whole sperm bank profiling would take? We could get started on that as early as Monday, really, if we get timely results from all the tests."

Remembering the blood tests, Rachyl rolled up her sleeve. Her inner arm and elbow weren't too badly bruised, but in a couple days she'd have some strange yellow-purple splotches. "I'm not mad at you, you know, about the mammogram. I guess I didn't expect to have my breasts crushed in a cold glass vise from two different directions. And that technician? My word, she was so robotic and frigid, I'm surprised the floor didn't crumble like ice beneath her."

Meegan started getting out utensils. "I was thinking that with the Internet being such a huge force for information, we should probably get a good connection at the house. Jeff could probably set us up a link to the office, so we could work from home and have your phone forwarded here."

Rachyl watched as Meegan poured wine and gathered two bottles of water. "Now, let's get you back to bed." "Yes, ma'am."

Still embarassed from the fright she'd given Meegan, she walked through the frosted glass doorway to the stairs, then up to their room. Sliding into bed, she said, "We should have the dumbwaiter finished. And maybe make it into a combination dumbwaiter laundry chute, that goes from our closet down to the storage room in the kitchen, to the basement."
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan settled the tray around Rachyl's legs, then drug one of the smaller chairs over by the bed. She moved her wine, water and bowl to the beside table and got comfortable. She took a sip of the cool crisp wine and contemplated Rachyl's monologue.

"You're right. We should have a party, after the den and formal living room are done. We'll call up the gypsy and the pirate and ask them to come visit and the proposition Nyra about commissions."

She picked up her bowl and chopsticks and put a bite of steaming stir-fry in her mouth. It was really good. She'd added some asian mustard to the sauce this time and it gave it just a little bit of a bite.

"Oddly enough I've talked to the decorator about putting a window in there. She was going to look into a contractor and inspector to make sure it wouldn't lessen the integrity of that wall. I didn't want to mention it to you, incase it didn't work out. You know some times I like to surprise you with things. I think two sun rooms would be tacky, but we should think about turning that into a conservatory or a green room. That could be fun.

As for the basement, I wondered if we could put in something aquatic. Like a small pool or a big hot tub, though the thought of a home theater is really cool. You're right again though, we should get some kind of work out equipment for the house, just for those days that we don't make it into the office, like today."

She chuckled and ate a bit more of her lunch as she though over the rest of what RAchyl had said. She'd mentioned Veronica, but honestly, Meegan had enough painful holes in her heart with out visiting that one. So she decided not to bring it up a second time and Emily would let them know if something had happened.

"Our appointment for the Sperm Bank is tomorrow morning so I guess we'll find out just how long the whole thing takes. Um...internet..yeah oh, the DSL was installed today while we were out so that should be up and running. They found that the entire house was wired for it, they just had to flip a switch at the box or something. Anyway, it wouldn't be Jeff it would be that guy from IT that does all the computer stuff. You'll need to ask him when we get back to work."

Meegan laughed and sipped her wine. "I almost said I'd ask my assistant to ask him, but you're my assistant." Giggling she ate a few more bites of her stir-fry as she contemplated Rachyl's last question. She had been thinking about that thing as well. It would be nice to have the laundry chute, then the cleaning service wouldn't have to traipse about and collect clothing, and cart it down two flights of steps.

"We'll talk to the decorator about the laundry chute, she can talk to the contractor. We also need to talk to her about that fifth bedroom. Also do you think we should decorate that garage apartment or just leave it until it's needed?"

She ate more of her lunch, it was starting to cool so she decided to eat for a bit and let Rachyl talk some more if she wanted.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl sipped from the wine first, feeling its burn warm her chest, pulsing away the crushedmushiness in her breasts. She giggled at Meegan. "Gypsy and Pirate. They make such a cute couple. You know they'd probably laugh to know we still think of them like that."

Chopsticks held firmly between her fingers, she used her other hand to tuck a napkin into her top and, raising the bowl, took a few mouthsful. "Surprise me! You know we think alike often enough that would be a bit difficult." Rachyl winked.

"You know there's enough room downstairs to put in a hot tub, as well as exercise equipment, and even the theatre. So, depends on how whole-hog we want to go. We'd certainly be a one-stop-shop for entertaining our friends, that's for sure!" Dipping a bit of vegetable into some soy sauce, she nibbled quietly as Meegan spoke. "And I want to bring my bike back from the office. I haven't had a good long ride in a while. And you should get a bike too, we could ride around the neighborhood with our child when he or she is old enough." Rachyl crunched down on more vegetables.

"Saying 'that guy from IT' makes it even more difficult to differentiate any of them. They all have glasses and beards and long hair. Except that one new guy. What was his name?"

Rachyl pouted playfully. "So no dumbwaiter, huh? Darn, I kind of liked that idea. But yes, laundry chute is a must. And as far as the garage apartment, we should leave it mostly bare but definately furnish it."

She brought another stickful of the wonderful stir-fry to her mouth. "You know, you did a great job on this stir-fry. I don't remember the last time you made it. This is great, though. Something about having a new home has made everything taste better." Sipping at her wine, she commented, "You know, I was about to say, we could even start our own mini-wine cellar... But I won't be able to drink very much once we start the impregnation process."
Meegan 18 years ago
"I don't really like to bake ride, but I would be more than happy to roller blade or something while you ride." A bite of lunch and a sip of wine.

"I think it was Mike the IT guy that did my condo. He usually does all the home connections. I'll talk to him on monday. Though come to think of it I think three of our tech crew are named Mike." Grinning she ate another bite and drank more wine.

"The dumbwaiter is fine, I just didn't feel the need to say all of it. We can do whatever you want with that thing."

Meegan chuckled softly at Rachyl's description of the situation. She realized that there were going to be a lot of things that Rachyl couldn't do while she was pregnant and while Meegan was going to miss some of those things, she was content in the knowledge that it would be worth the sacrifice.

She ate a bit more of her stir-fry and watched Rachyl. The red-head seemed exhausted, and Meegan could tell she was trying to hide it. It became more apparent when Rachyl missed her mouth twice, then had to concentrate to get the chopsticks back into the bowl. Meegan looked down into her own bowl and discovered that she had managed to eat her entire meal compared to Rachyl's half. She chuckled and placed her empty bowl and wine glass on the tray, then swapped her water for Rachyl's, so that Rachyl would have water close at hand. She then carefully took the white ceramic from the curled fingers of her lover, and placed it on the tray.

She had to bite her lip to keep from laughing as Rachyl sank into the pillow and her eyes drooped to half mast. Meegan set the tray at the end of the bed, well away from Rachyl's feet and then leaned down to kiss her forehead.
"Have a good nap."

Rachyl mumbled something that sounded like, 'You too,' as Meegan pulled away. She moved the chair back to it's place and picking up the tray left the room, pulling the door mostly closed with her toe.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Wine, great food, bruised arm, tender breasts, and wonderful company - not to mention the overly warmness Rachyl was feeling, from being loved and cared for, all contributed to the redhead's drowsiness.

"Have a good nap," Meegan had said, and she thought she had gotten out a simple,
"You too," but sleep claimed her quickly.

She hadn't been expecting the phone call.

"Rachyl!"

"Mom!"

"Denise and I wanted to come down to visit you but we wanted to give you a bit more, uhm, advanced notice."

Rachyl couldn't help but blush. Almost stammering, she replied, "That's very kind of you, Mom, thanks. This weekend would be great. It'll give us a chance to talk about stuff."

"What sort of stuff? I could bring self-help books if you want." Her mother had become a self-help guru over the last year.

"Oh, you know. Parenting. Pregnancy, childbirth. The whole nine."

"Parenting?" Renee didn't sound surprised, merely accepting. "Well you know, I do have a little bit of practice in that arena. Besides, if you have any questions about going through labor or whatever, feel free to ask. After all, I spent only sixteen hours in labor with you - have I ever told you how big your head was when you were a baby? and with your sister -"

"My SISTER!?" Rachyl exclaimed.

Renee replied scoldingly, "No need to yell, Rachyl, I can hear you just fine. Today's telecommunicash-"

"Mom. Sister. 'Splain. Now."

"Oh, I didn't tell you on your last visit? I was several months pregnant at the time. Denise and I had become lifepartners and gotten pregnant."

"So how old is my... sister... now?"

"Oh, just a couple months," Renee replied. "We were going to surprise you."

"That's one fucking huge surprise, Mom," Rachyl retorted, unabashedly cursing aloud.

"Rachyl Walker, what have I told you about using expletives in conversation?"

"Puh-lease, like it's any different when YOU use them in the bedroom."

The silence on the end let Rachyl imagine her mother's own consternation.

It had been an interesting conversation, that was for sure. And they were on their way down, having called early in the morning as they left the driveway.

--

The phone rang. "Miss Walker?" The male voice was unfamiliar.

"Speaking."

"This is Officer Dan Patrickson from the Nachton PD. Could you please come down to Nachton General? We can have a car at your residence in a few minutes to give you a ride."

--

The news wasn't good. Renee and Denise had been killed by an out-of-control UPS truck. The baby was in stable, good condition...

It seemed that Meegan and Rachyl now had another child to take care of. One their daughter; the other Rachyl's half-sister.

Rachyl sat bolt-upright in bed, wiping sweat-stuck locks from her face. Her pajamas were all in a knot around her body and the bedcovers were mussed. Sliding from the bed, she went to the bathroom and splashed cool water on her face. Returning to the bed, she straightened it somewhat, and slid back in. She stayed awake for a few moments before sleep overcame her again.
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan set about washing the lunch dishes, she was just about done when there was a knock at the door. Sighing she plucked a towel off the counter and went to answer the door. She nearly turned around and went up stairs first, she was in jeans, stocking feet and the little black under tee that she'd worn under her sweater. 'Oh well, I'm at home, why shouldn't I look like they've interrupted me?'

She pulled the door open and had to suppress a cringe. Deirdre stood there bouncing on the balls of her feet nearly bursting with what Meegan assumed was news.

"Hello, Deirdre. What a surprise. Won't you come in?"

"Hi Meegan, thanks."

Meegan stepped back and cocked an eyebrow at the woman. 'Thanks? What the hell is she up to?' The decorators dark hair had been pulled into a conservative french twist that threatened to break free of its pins at any moment. She wore a navy blue skirt, teal silk dress shirt and matching navy jacket. Meegan was just a tad suspicious. She closed the door and stepped around the woman to lead her into the kitchen. Once there she filled the kettle and put it on to boil.

"So what brings you by? We aren't sceluded to meet until thursday."

"I know!" She placed her portfolio case on the table and began to pull out drawing after drawing. Meegan simply stared. "But! I had to show you these. Now you might not like them, but I had this blast of inspiration and I've been drawing like a mad woman for the last three days."

She layed the drawings out in what Meegan guessed was the right order and patted the first one. Meegan slowly moved over and looked down at the first one. It was the floor plan of their home. 'Ok, this is just weird." She moved to the next one and it was also a floor plan. It took her a moment to realize that there was anything different, until she spotted the wall separating the den and the formal living room was missing. She looked up at Deirdre. The woman just smiled, nodded her head and gestured to the next drawing.

Meegan was certain she was going to explode all over her kitchen soon, if Meegan didn't get to the heart of the matter. The next drawings were the ones she'd been shown previously of the den and living room. She had liked them, but had asked for some changes, they had not been made. The next was of a very large room, that was it, just the room, walls, side by side fire places, windows...lots of windows, and an arched entry way. Meegan stared at it for a few minutes.

"That's my den and living room with out a wall."

"Yes! It is! Keep looking!"

'Ok I'm going to strangle her.' Meegan sighed and kept looking at the drawings. The next was the same large room from the same view, this time it had the fire places connected to make a large arched hearth, that a man could lay down in and still have room. The walls were colored in a subtle silver hue, with some kind of pattern that Meegan couldn't quite make out. The floors were the natural hardwood of the house and the floor boards and crown molding had been enlarged. The glimpse of the far wall was shaded a deep green. So far Meegan liked the room, she just wasn't sure on the idea of making those two rooms into one large one.

The next drawing was of the room from the front window. The dividing wall had been made into an arch and then the effect had been repeated once in the living room portion and once in the den potion, the effect made the room look bigger, but Meegan liked it. The room was still furniture-less, and the back wall, which held the dining room entrance, was shaded a deep green, to the immediate left of that wall a wet bar had been installed. It was a nice touch, and Meegan approved. The wall one the living room side of the fire place was blank, as was the wall on the den side. Meegan was disappointed with that, as there was a lovely set of built in shelves there now.

She moved to the next picture which was a view of the room in which the person standing in the drawing before had turned ninety degrees to the right, then moved as far back as possible to be even with the previous left wall. The book shelfless wall had slid open to reveal a stereo system, a fifty-two inch plasma television, and accompanying electronics. The floor had four open rows, in which seats had half risen from the floor.

'Ok things have just gotten a little ridiculous, still this is really cool. Like something out of a sci-fi movie.' Meegan looked up at Deirdre again. The woman had turned an odd shade of red, and was bouncing on her butt in her seat. The tea kettle whistled and Deirdre fell off her chair and on to the floor. Meegan started laughing and went to pull the kettle from the fire and started making coffee. As the coffee perked she went back to the drawings.

Meegan 18 years ago
The decorator picked herself up, quickly and went back to bouncing in her seat as she watched Meegan continue along the drawings.

Meegan stared at the next one, a split scene, the top half showed the chairs either rising or lowering, and the bottom showed the finished basement, with an enclosure built onto the ceiling. Meegan could only assume this is where the chairs and their mechanisms were stored. She decided that this was just way to far fetched.

She glanced over the rest of the drawings. They showed a couch, rug and two wing-backed chairs over where the theater seats were, then showed that furniture pushed back and the seats coming out of the floor, as well as the finished living room half of the great room. She shook her head at it all, gave the decorator an exasperated look and went to finish the coffee.

She could and would be civil about this. This whole thing was just silly. She wanted the rooms separate and she wanted the den to be a den. Now it might be nice to turn it into a home theater type of situation, but chairs coming out of the floor? Let's go with no. Meegan pulled two of the frog cups and saucers out of the cabinet, and took out the little silver cream pitcher and the sugar bowl and set them on the table. She brought the coffee pot over and poured out for the both of them. Returning the pot to the counter, she grabbed two spoons and returned to the table. She decided on black coffee and turned her attention back to the drawings.

"Deirdre, I'm going to be honest here. This is a really cool idea, but I am not an eccentric billionaire. If I was I would have you enlarge that tiny fifth bedroom, knock out the ceiling above, pad the walls and turn it into a trampoline room, as well as having chairs coming from the floor and then we could have a Rubes machine that prepared the coffee and made the eggs.

I want to keep them as two rooms. Now I will show these to Rachyl, but I can almost guarantee she'll say the same thing."

Meegan watched the woman's face fall, and the bouncing stop. She felt bad for dashing her hopes, it was a really good design, just not the right one for her home.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl woke suddenly. She felt refreshed and warm, and it seemed most of the terror from her previous dream had fled. She would definately have to call her mother. And tell Meegan. It was just too freaky to keep inside.

She realized she should probably shower, considering the cold-sweat dream she'd had, but instead started to exchange her cami for a long white buttondown. Her arm came up, and she realized she definately needed the shower.

She stripped, hopped in, washed her body quickly, rinsed her hair, and dried. Brushing her hair just enough to tame it, she dressed in clean red swishy pants with a clean red cami. She decided to forgo a bra, because at this time of day - nearly four - most people were still at work. Besides, her breasts still hurt a little.

She looked around for the trays, but it seemed Meegan had taken them away. Her belly rumbled as she thought of that magnificent stir-fry; she'd barely eaten any, she recalled, before she'd fallen asleep. The bunny slippers found themselves on her feet. Down the steps she went, into the kitchen, where she found Meegan with Deirdre.

"Hi Deirdre. To what do we owe the pleasure?" She saw the pictures on the table. "New toys?"

She inspected the drawings. Her eyes grew wide at points; she was really impressed with the work put into the idea. "This is great, Deirdre, but I think we were wanting to keep the den and living room completely seperate."

She stared at the drawings for a while, then moved around the island to stand next to the decorator. Patting her hand gently, she got Meegan's attention and pointed "down." She mouthed "basement?" to her lover.
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan smiled up at Rachyl when she walked in. She looked refreshed and Meegan was glad, though her nap had not been as long as Meegan hoped for, and she hadn't gotten to the computer to look at cars because of Deirdre's unexpected appearance. She rubbed her hand up and down Rachyl's, assuring herself that she was as well as she looked.

As Rachyl's question she nodded and turned back to Deirdre.

"We were thinking of putting in a home theater in the basement. We could probably enclose a portion of the space and you could turn it into a real mini theater."

Meegan rose, refilled the kettle and put it on to boil. She pulled down a larger mug and a bag of tea from their places and put them on the island before returning to the table.

"Since you're here, we can go ahead and talk about the upstairs. I also wanted to get your feed back on some ideas I had for the attic."

Meegan nearly sighed in relief as the interior designer's face lit back up. The brunette pulled all of the drawings back to her and slid them into the portfolio.

"I'll just put those in my idea file and keep it for another time." She took out sketch paper, pencils, a pen and a pad of writing paper, and turned expectant eyes on them.

"Well we're only going to have you do the first two rooms now, we have some personal plans for the fourth bedroom across the hall from ours. I wanted to make that first room, on the opposite side of the hall from ours, into a luxurious guest room. We also wanted the bathroom redone, it is...lacking in any kind of style."

Deirdre nodded her head and began to scribble on her paper. "Go ahead, any color ideas or preferences."

"No not really. Think about what you would love to walk into if you were staying with a friend that had this one spare room to do with what she pleased. Lush bedding, rich woods, that sort of thing."

"Oh, I love it. I have ideas percolating already. Ok, ok, now what about the second room, the one on the same side as yours."

Meegan sipped her coffee and met Rachyl's eyes. She hadn't mentioned this idea to Rachyl yet, but it seemed like a perfect use of the space.

"Now I haven't asked Rachyl about this yet." She mouthed an "I'm sorry" to Rachyl and continued. "But, I think we should turn that room into a dojo. Pad the floor, and generally turn the room into a small asian calm escape. I have a man that is willing to come out to our house to work out with us, but we need a space to do so indoors when it is too cold or hot to be in the yard. What do you guys think?"
Rachyl 18 years ago
Her eyes lit up, but then Rachyl shook her head as she pulled out a stool from the island. "It's a great idea, but I think that having it in that bedroom, especially on the second floor, is just a temptation to have knickknacks and trinkets and lighting fixtures fall from the ceiling in the den. Instead, how about expanding the fifth bedroom, the one near the dining room? Sure, it's kind of far away from a shower, but at least there's a support beam underneath that corner of the house. And we weren't going to use it much other than for storage anyway."

Rachyl started to ramble. "I need tea. You ladies want tea? I'm going to kidnap the tea."
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan gave Rachyl a 'Are you ok?' look and decided that this is not what RAchyl needs right now. Granted, she had no authority to make such a decision, but she'd had enough of Deirdre and wanted her gone.

"Wow, well, Rachyl and I sure do have a lot to discuss. We'll just write everything down, maybe make some rough sketches and we'll bring it all with us to our appointment on Thursday."

Deirdre looked stunned at being suddenly dismissed, but she had come to expect such things from this duo, in fact she'd been surprised Meegan had even let her in the door. She stood and helped Meegan to gather her things.

Meegan sort of pushed Deirdre to the door, saying stupid things like 'Thanks for dropping by. We'll see you Thursday. Have a great afternoon.' She shut the door and leaned against it for a moment, covering her mouth to keep from laughing. That was much more fun than it should have been.

She managed to gain some kind of control over herself and returned to the kitchen where Rachyl was making herself a cup of tea.

"Well, I don't know about you but I have no desire to talk about the house right now. So what do you want to do with your afternoon? I need to work, I was thinking about putting these new designs I have on the next runway and if I rush I can manage."

She picked up her and Deirdre's cups and took them to the sink, and began to wash them.

"I have spring fittings tomorrow, are you going to want to take the morning off? Our appointment is at ten. I should be done with the first session by 9:30, then I'll have to go back after lunch for the second. Otherwise they are going to think I've abandoned them for you and the models will cry black tears of angst or something."
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl watched from behind her empty bubba keg, trying not to laugh as Meegan all but threw Deirdre out of the kitchen. When she heard the front door close, she started laughing, but calmed by the time Meegan reentered the kitchen.

Smiling widely when Meegan returned, she tried not to snort. Infectious laughter could be dangerous.

"Well, I was full ready to talk about the house, or maybe drag you back into bed with me, but I guess I could do some more baby-making research. I do want to go into work with you tomorrow, but in the afternoon I'll go around doing some car shopping."

She dropped her Earl Grey teabags into her keg. It always needed two for just the right twang. "More tea?" She slid off her stool and moved to wrap herself in Meegan. "Or can I get something for my creative lover while she toils over her drafting table?"
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan leaned into Rachyl and sighed softly.

"No, I'll just take a bottle of water in the office with me. You know, my dear, you make it awfully difficult to stick to my convictions. Feeling you pressed against me like that, just makes me want to put you up on this island and give you a lovely little tongue bath."

She chuckled softly, and giving Rachyl a squeeze pulled away.

"About the car...I think I want to do that or we should go together."
Rachyl 18 years ago
With an arched brow, Rachyl quipped, "Temptation can be a little bitch. And no, you're not going to talk me into changing my name, even though Temptation Walker does have a nice ring to it. We'll just have to take a rain check."

She pursed her lips as she returned to her mug. "You're right, you should go or we should go together. I guess I just want to have a little bit more that I can do to help, you know? I know you feel bad that I'll be the one abused and tired and maybe sick and cravy -" she snickered at Meegan's funny look "- you know, full of cravings. Cravy. But this child will be ours," she vehemently stated as she moved back across the room into Meegan's arms. She rested her head on the taller woman's bosom for a moment before raising her eyes, connecting their gazes. "and I'd like you to tell me what you need me to do." With another smirk, "outside of getting pregnant and popping out the baby."