For Friendship

As usual it was just after sunset when Maeve arrived at her studio office. Her assistant, Amy, had long since stopped thinking this was strange, and just chalked it up to one of her employer's eccentricities. Besides she couldn't really complain at all about her job. As long as she was there when Maeve arrived and all of her duties were fulfilled she was able to write her own schedule for the most part. She felt lucky to work for such a gifted designer, especially one who sometimes asked for her opinion on new designs. Most people would agree that she had it made with this job.

Maeve greeted her assistant with a smile and collected her mail from the young woman before heading into her studio. She sighed with contentment as she looked around at her sketchpads, dressmaker dummies, and bolts of fabric. She sat down at her desk and went through her mail making mental notes of any things that she would need to ask Amy to take care of for her. After that was done she moved over to her drafting table and pulled some of her recent design sketches in front of her. One in particular caught her eye and she couldn't help but think that her old friend Fiona would love that suit.

She smiled as memories of Fiona crossed her mind. The two vampires might not agree on much, but in spite of that they'd managed to become and remain great friends through the centuries. As she thought about the other woman, she realized she hadn't heard from her in a while. She reached over and grabbed the phone dialing Fiona's current number. She picked up a pencil and added some more details to the "Fiona suit"Â? while she waited for her friend to answer her phone.

"Bonjour, mon cher!"Â?

Maeve wasn't at all surprised that Fiona knew at once who was calling. "Bonjour to you. I hadn't heard from you for a while and thought I'd call and catch up. How's New York treating you?"Â?

"It's cold, wet and pretentious...So I thought I'd go on a little vacation."Â?

She heard the slight laugh in there and smiled, shaking her head. Just like Fiona. Get bored, take a vacation. "Sounds about right to me. So where did you decide to take this vacation? Some tropical island I'd wager."Â?

"You'd lose that wager, mon cher! Non, I decided that it was time I came to Nachton."Â?

She would not have been more shocked had Fiona told her she'd decided to start drinking cheap champagne. It actually took a minute for her to recover and think of something to say. "Nachton? Are you serious? How's it going so far? When did you get there? Sorry for the barrage of questions. I'm more than just a little surprised."

"So was I, but it was time. I just arrived this evening and have been fortunate enough to make a friend already."Â?

She shook her head with a smile and chuckled. No doubt this new friend was male. "Is this where I pretend to be surprised? And just what is this handsome fellow's name?"Â? She smiled at the answering laugh.

"I can't imagine what you mean. His name is Sorin of Anantya and has been a very gracious host."Â?

"Anantya, huh?"Â? Maeve wasn't sure what to think about that little piece of information. "Leave it to you to find a powerful male vampire as soon as you hit town."Â?

"In that case, I had better not neglect him, hmmm? Shall I call you tomorrow?"Â?

Somehow she managed not to sigh knowing that Fiona was weighing the comment she'd made for how it would be useful. "Of course not dear. Though somehow I doubt that you would."Â? She chuckled slightly, sure that her dear friend would definitely not neglect someone like that. "Sure give me a call tomorrow. You know I'll be dying to hear all about your first night in Nachton."Â?

"All right then, mon cher. Tomorrow, then. Bonne nuit!"Â?

"I look forward to it. Stay safe, my friend. Good night."Â?

She shook her head as she hung up the phone. She was still quite surprised that Fiona had finally decided to go to Nachton. She'd mentioned the idea to her a few times and had always gotten the impression that Fiona really had no desire to go. She couldn't help but wonder if the change of heart had anything to do with looking for information about Philipe. She knew that her friend hadn't completely given up on the idea of finding him.

She also had to wonder about this Anantya. She wondered how Fiona had met him and what he was like. She didn't really know many from the other clans, but she knew that Anantya was an old and powerful clan. Fiona hadn't said anything about meeting any of Evenhet, and she wondered if she just hadn't gotten around to it yet. Well she supposed she'd find out when she talked to her tomorrow.

Maeve looked up at a knock on the door and motioned for Amy to come on in. She nodded her acceptance when the young woman said she was going home if Maeve didn't need anything. Just as her assistant was about to walk out the door she stopped her.

"Wait a minute Amy. Before you go I need you to make some reservations for me please. See how soon you can get me on a plane to Nachton, first class of course. Open ended ticket please. I'm really not sure how long I will be staying. Also, please call Liefde Towers in Nachton and let them know that I will be arriving. Then please call Mary at my house and ask her to pack some things for me."Â?

Amy nodded and headed back out to her desk. Within a half hour she was back with Maeve's flight information for that very night and the confirmation numbers for her reservations with the airline. She also let her know that Mary would have her things packed by the time she got home to get them. She was a very efficient assistant, which was one of the major reasons that Maeve valued her so much.

"Thank you, Amy. I'll be in touch to let you know if I decide to stay away very long. Take care of the bills and anything that needs my direct attention forward to the Towers, you know my suite number. And you have my cell phone number if you need me for anything."Â?

Two hours later and she was on a plane headed for Nachton. It would be good to see Fiona again. She thought maybe she'd be able to help her with meeting the elders and maybe just maybe they'd be able to find some information on Philipe's whereabouts. She pulled out the sketch she'd been working on and some pencils and settled into her seat for the flight.