Are you kidding me?

Shay had thanked Tristan for picking her up, and then retreated within herself. The boy smelled like pot, but she didn't even care. He was driving fine, and even knowing she should be concerned, she just didn't have it in her.

It had been a bad idea to have gone to the ball tonight, explosions aside. She should have just curled up on the couch, in front of the fire and watched some really good tearjerker. Then she could have had an exhausting cry, and fallen into a deep dreamless sleep.

But she was sick to death of being sad. She wanted to put on a good face, go out among the people of Nachton, meet up with some friends, spend quality time with her love, and overall just have a great evening. What was it they said about the best laid plans...?

Wordlessly, Shay got out of the car and went into the condo, walking directly towards her room, and a shower. The answering machine was beeping, so she stopped by the office first to answer it. The message that had been left was from her mother, and though the subject matter of the message was one of happy things, Shay's first inclination was to throw the answering machine through the window.

"Are you kidding me?"

Instead she turned and left the office, and as she passed Tristan in the hall, she told him he should listen to the message as well. It involved their brother, and she didn't want to explain it herself...let her mother tell Tristain too, Shay went directly into the bathroom.

Standing in front of the mirror, her reflection was emotionless. Her brother was pregnant...well, her brother's girlfriend was pregnant, and they were getting married, and in all his infinite disregard for family, her brother was now getting what Shay had wanted...family...a child. There was evil irony there somewhere, but for now Shay didn't want to think about that. She was glad her mother would get a grandchild, even if it wouldn't be from her.

As she stood before the glass in her once beautiful gown, which was now blackened from smoke, torn, ragged, and even blood stained, Shay couldn't remember having looked this bad...ever. Even having been battered about in a couple pretty intense situations as a cop, she had always managed to come out with nothing more serious than a coffee stain. Then again, she'd never been involved in an explosion either.

It was a little reassuring to actually see the reflection. It was little wonder she hadn't been able to see earlier. Not only was her eye makeup smeared like jam on toast, but her face was covered in soot too. Spots where the doctor had washed her eyes, were the only clean parts on her entire face. She shook her head wondering how Alexi had managed to keep looking at her as he had.

Removing her clothes, she wondered how long it would be before he came home. That she hadn't waited at the medical center seemed fitting at the time. Looking back now, she saw she had acted childishly. She had been ridiculously hurt by the fact that he hadn't waited with her, and irritated he had left her to worry about someone stopping her for being alone there. Had she tried to find him, and run into resistance by any of their security, Shay knew the outcome would have been ugly. Though it could have gone either way...she could have just broken down totally, or she could have lashed out...in the end it would have just made for an even worse evening.

In all fairness, she knew too that the evening had been going along great, right up until the explosion.

There was a sudden tap on the door. Tristan was going back to bed, and would talk to her later about their brother... all of which he yelled at her through the door. She acknowledged that, and said nothing more.

Leaving her clothes on the floor, Shay decided a bath was a better alternative, and turned on the water after putting a few drops of lavender into the water.
When the tub was within inches of filling to the top, she shut the water off, and cautiously stepped into the water. The cuts on her knees stung, and her hands she kept out of the water as best she could. But what made the shower worth while was that she could feel the aches in her body evaporate with the steaming water. Once she was submerged up to her chin, she leaned her head back onto the rim, and closed her eyes. If there was one thing about her home that she enjoyed more than almost anything else, it was the tub. The tub seemed to fit her as if it had been custom made...she doubted it could have been more comfortable.

Wren 18 years ago
Wren sat in her bed staring at the phone and the clock. It was kind of late, but she really needed to talk to someone. So much had happened in the last few days and she needed an outlet. She picked up the little white card with Shay's info on it, put it back down, picked up the phone, and put it back down. She was never going to be able to spill her guts if she didn't even have the balls to dial the damn number.

She took a deep breath and picked up the phone and the card again. She'd try Shay at home, that seemed the best bet. Holding her breath she dialed and listen to the ring back.

((Entered with permission.))
Shay 18 years ago
Having just begun to relax from the night, Shay almost screamed when Tristan knocked on the door.

Phone? Someone was calling, but it wasn't Alexi. Tristan said it was a woman. Shay sat up, and pulled a towel off the rod to drape across her and the tub, making sure to keep it out of the tub. Directing Tristan to enter, she took the phone from him and apologized for it having woken him up. When he nodded sleepily and closed the door behind her, she dropped the towel to the floor and spoke into the cordless.

"Hello? Shay here."
Wren 18 years ago
Wren had nearly dropped the phone onto the receiver when a man, a very sleepy man had answered.

"Uh, may I speak to Shay please?"

She heard a grunt, the rustle of cloth, a door shutting, a knock and then another door shutting.

"Hello? Shay here."

"Hi, Shay, it's Wren. I'm sorry it's so late. Did I catch you at a bad time? Want me to call back tomorrow?"

'Cool, confident, nope, I'm not desperate at all. Sigh'
Mathias 18 years ago
The drive back from Duibne seemed to crawl. Mathias mind was going in a million different direction - the explosion,Shay leaving amongst the foremost. Had he said something or done something? Going back over the events of the evening he honestly couldn't see anything he did that would cause her to flee or be in a foul mood.

Most of the lights were out when he pulled into the driveway. Carefully and quietly making his way through the dark house, he saw the light on in the bathroom and in the office doubling as Tristan's room.

Mathias concentrated a moment, smelling the familiar fragrance of lavender coming from the bathroom,feeling the heavy warmth of a steaming bath. Unless Tristan has gotten into Shay's bath oils he suppressed that image with a shudder

He could hear Shay talking to someone on the phone,so he decided to wait for her to finish. Stripping off the ragged remnants of his wardrobe,he stretched out in the bed,focusing his mind on a zen koan..anything to take his mind away from current troubles.
Shay 18 years ago
"Wren? No...it's alright, I'm just soaking in the tub...what's wrong?"

Shay guessed there must be something wrong. She had only met Wren once, and while they had gotten along wonderfully, and Shay already considered the woman a friend, it didn't seem likely she would just call this late to talk about the Nachton weather.
Wren 18 years ago
"Wrong?" 'Yes, my whole world has been turned topsy turvy, help!' She hadn't even though about what she was going to say." No not really. Just a lot on my mind and I needed to talk. I can call later, I don't want to disturb your bath."

'Oh, God, how the hell am I going to tell her all this? "Oh, hey, you know that guy I got my hoo ha waxed for? Well I moved in with him, he gave me my first real orgasm, oh and he's using his mafia connections to find my stalker. Plus I got my hair trimmed and I was thinking about buying some new shoes, want to come with me?" Yeah that would work.' She sighed softly, she shouldn't have called, this wasn't Shay's problem, the woman had enough of her own.

"How are you doing? Did everything go ok? Can I help you with anything?"

'Good lord Wren, you sound drunk and stupid, you should be quiet now.'
Shay 18 years ago
Shay listened, and forced herself to remain calm. She was all ready to lend an ear, or a hand to a friend in need, but really didn't want to just shoot the bull.

"Wren? It's okay to talk now, really. I'm just relaxing after a slightly unique evening, but really...you're not disturbing me."

She would try a little longer, to coax the real reason for the call from the woman, but expecting Alexi home soon, she didn't want to be sitting in the tub talking girl talk then.

"I'm doing okay...all things considered, and thanks for asking, but no...there's not really anything anyone can do...I just need time, you know, to let it all really sink in."

Wren had been the first person Shay had told about her operation, even before Alexi, so she now appreciated her friend's concern. But she really wanted her to get to the point.

"Wren...hon...come on, there must be more to this call?"
Wren 18 years ago
Wren sighed. She felt like shit for dumping all this on Shay, but Shay was the only other person that knew about her life outside of Nachton. 'Oh well, might as well go for broke and hope I still have a friend when I'm done.'

"Yeah there is. I'm sorry. I'm just not entirely certain I should tell you all this, over the phone after you've had a rough day. I feel like an idiot for calling this late then giving you the run around." 'God Wren, grow a set and tell the woman, she's your friend.'

"Anyway, you remember that guy I was telling you about? Well, shit, this is much easier in my head. I'm in deep, Shay. I moved in with him. Don't ask me what the fuck for, because I don't know. I'm sorry. This is probably petty compared to your life right now. Look, you want me to call you in a couple days? Maybe we can have lunch or something."

She bit her lip, she felt like a giddy teenager, telling her best friend that Bobby had felt her up at the movies last night. She should have waited until it was light out, or at least until a more decent hour.
Shay 18 years ago
Ahhh...Shay smiled at the news.

"Wren, don't worry about me, really...soaking in the tub has helped me a great deal...I'm just about as good as new."

Shay could relate so much to what Wren was saying...she had, and still felt much the same way, having fallen for Alexi like a ton of bricks after their first meeting.

"You moved in with him...but you don't know why? Could it be that you've developed feelings for him...and you'd rather be with him than alone?

Stop worrying about me, really...I may be one of the few people around who can relate somewhat to what you might be feeling. Is it so terrible to feel this for him? "

Poor Wren...Shay knew it must be difficult talking about this on the phone.

"I'm perfectly fine talking over the phone, but we can still meet for lunch, if you'd feel more comfortable?"

Choices were good.
Wren 18 years ago
Might as well go all the way, she was already talking. They'd have lunch or something anyway.

"God, Shay I don't know what I feel for this guy. I trust him, which scares the shit out of me. I want to share things with him, I wouldn't even share with my therapist. He helped me hire a private eye to try and find the stalker, which is a huge deal." She took a big breath and leaned back on her pillows.

"I don't know maybe I am falling for him, but damned if I know what that feels like. My whole world is upside down and he's the apex." She gave a soft chuckle "I sound like a kid. This is so weird for me."
Shay 18 years ago
"Oh Wren...I'm not just saying this to sound sympathetic, but I really do understand. It was so much like that for me and Mathias. The only big difference was my background. I really had no reason not to trust him, so I jumped in with every part of my being, and haven't regretted one second.

This guy sounds like just what you need hun. I mean you trust him...I'm assuming you've had him checked out? If yes, and are asking for my opinion...I'd say play it out. You won't ever find happiness if you don't open yourself up to it. It's scary, I'll grant you that...but ask yourself...wouldn't it be scarier to not be having this opportunity at all?"

Shay didn't feel 'real' comfortable in acting as a giver of advice. She would have been more than content to just listen. But Wren seemed to be seeking just a little more than an ear.

She also had to hope that this guy was on the up and up...the last thing Wren needed was someone out to scam her. But if this guy really was as into Wren as she was into him, Shay couldn't be happier for her.

"And so you sound like a kid...kids enjoy life...they know how to live it without reservation...to truly feel the joy they are given. What's so bad about that?"

Shay realized she should start taking her own advice...either that, or risk letting so much pass her by.
Wren 18 years ago
Wren smiled. Shay had some how said exactly the right thing and she no longer felt like a bundle of nerves.

"Not a damn thing. Thanks, Shay. And now that I've spilled my child-like trouble all over you and your aching body, I will let you off the phone to enjoy your bath in peace. Will you call when you're up for lunch?"

She would love to sit and talk about the virtues of her new um...friend, but Shay sounded exhausted and Wren still felt a little silly.
Shay 18 years ago
Shay laughed. If only things in her own life could be resolved so quickly. Not that she would ever presume to think she'd been responsible for solving anything for Wren. But she felt she must have done some good, or Wren wouldn't be in an obviously better mood than when she had first called.

"Aw hun, you're more than welcome for whatever I've done. But really, it was nothing I minded at all. And unless you've got other plans, how about we get together on Thursday for lunch? We could meet somewhere, or I could come pick you up?"

She really did want to keep in touch with her friends, and was feeling bad to think she hadn't called Wren earlier just for that reason.
Wren 18 years ago
"I'm free Thursday and if something comes up, I will make it go away. Since I don't know the city well yet, why don't you pick me up here. Hang on let me find where I wrote it down at."

She leaned over to her bedside table, and rummaged around on the papers and things there. She was floored at how quickly her clutter...cluttered. She found the little purple slip of paper and turning it over spoke into the phone.

"Oh, wait. You don't have a pen." She chuckled into the phone and leaned back over to grab a pen, the one she picked up was green ink. "Do you have an email address? I can send it to you there."
Shay 18 years ago
Laughing still, invisioning Wren scrambling around looking for an address that Shay had no way of making note of, she was relieve when Wren came up with an alternative.

"Good idea...I might be able to write it in the steam on the mirror, but knowing me I'd forget about it again till morning, then...well, I'm sure you see the dilema."

Shay gave Wren her email address.

"I'll send you a confirm as soon as I get it, okay? And plan on Thursday...say...hmmm...would two be too late?"

Sleeping till noon should work for Shay...that would give her time to take care of normal daily things and still get to Wren's...
Wren 18 years ago
She wrote the numbers and letters under her new address and smiled at the phone.

"Two is perfect." Yay sleeping until noon!

"Have a good night Shay. I'll see you Thursday."

She hung up and put the paper, phone and pen back on her night stand. She felt a lot better and now she could sleep, she hoped Shay got some sleep as well.

((OOC Wren out, pending response.))
Shay 18 years ago
"Okay hun...see you then. Take care."

Shay clicked the off button on the phone, and set it on the floor. Sensing the water in the tub had cooled considerably, she debated letting some of the water out, and replacing it with more hot. But because she was pretty sure she now heard Alexi in their room, she flipped the spout on the tub drain up with her toe, and stood up.

Her just washed hair was damp, and would be a mess in the morning, but she gave it no further consideration. It would dry soft, just wavy, instead of sleek...she could rewet it in the morning and fix it fine. Once she had dried off, and cleaned up the bathroom, setting the phone onto the counter, she wrapped herself in a towel, and went into their bedroom. The light under Tristan's room was off so she decided to leave the phone where it was for now.

Standing in the doorway, having just shut the door behind her softly, Shay admired the view. The lighting was dim, so she couldn't see if his eyes were open or not, and didn't want to wake him if he was asleep. Removing the towel, Shay folded it and laid it across the chair next to her vanity. A quick look at her hair again, in the vanity, and she grimaced, but then shrugged, turned, and walked to the bed turning off the light before crawling up to lie next to Alexi. Too tired to try and move him, just to get under the covers, Shay instead pulled up the afghan off the bottom of the bed over the two of them, as she snuggled against him.

(Shay out)
Mathias 18 years ago
Sometime between 2 and 4 am.....

He awoke with a start..it had been far too long since the dreams had troubled his rest. Remembrances of what he was,and condemnations of who he is. His father had called this "The Hour of the Wolf" when all of your sins would revisit you. And Mathias had many sins to choose from - this time of peace with Shay being a relative anomaly in the grand scheme of things.

Which,he supposed begged a question. Was redemption even possible for a soul as black as his - was Shay's love enough to erase several lifetimes of wrong? Jesu Christe,he muttered to himself, I am a grim bastard early in the morning.

Looking at the sleeping woman next to him,Mathias decided if this was damnation then redemption could wait another day. He pulled the afghan back over himself,snuggling tight to Shay,feeling her warmth wash over him.

It could wait another day....

((ooc - Mathias out))