House Hunting

Meegan and Rachyl sat huddled in the silver Porche they had rented for the day, so that they could look at the houses the realtor has suggested would fit the profile they were looking for.

They had been a little early and of course the realter was late. Meegan would give the woman five more minutes and they would leave and find someone who knew the value of time. Meegan had just finished the thought when a champagne colored sedan pulled into the driveway.

They exited the little car and Meegan looked around at the yard. It was beautifully landscaped, but the lines didn't flow and they jarred on Meegan's eye. She turned and walked around the car to greet the realter. She looked classy in her camel heels, camel pencil skirt, matching suit jacket, cream silk blouse and string of pearls. That is until one reached her hair.

It was a platinum blonde with dark blonde/light brown highlights,shellackeded into a french twist with little pearl tipped pins. Meegan wondered if she had it done every three days and slept on a special pillow or if it was a wig. Either way it was just plain ugly, and this poor woman had never been told different.

Meegan shrugged, she wasn't going to be responsible for giving fashion advice to her realter.

"I am so sorry I'm late." Was all the explanationn offered, well at least she wasn't one of those passive aggressivess that needed to explain every little fault. She held out her hand to Meegan. Meegan took it firmly and shook once, before letting go. The woman offered the hand to Rachyl.

"Shall we go take a look then ladies?" Her too bright smile made Meegan want to wrinkle her nose and get back in the car, but the woman hadn't gotten here reputation for no reason, so Meegan followed her up the small hill of the driveway.

The drive was long and wrapped around the back of the house, nice fore parties, but it took away so much of nature, that she was not impressed in the least, so far this first house already had two strikes and they hadn't even made it to the front door.

She felt Rachyl's hand slide into her's, she turned and offered the red-head a smile, and squeezed the chilly fingers. The front door was mostly glass, and through the frosted carving, Meegan saw a straight stair way, white with brown railings, that lead to a second floor.

"Well we can leave now."

The realter, looked at her with surprise widening her eyes. "You don't want to go inside?"

Rachyl and Meegan had poured over dozens and dozens of floor plans, brochures and pictures, every night after work, deciding what would work best, the features they wanted and how they felt about certain aspects of the house. They had both agreed that if stairs were going to be part of the foyer then they needed to be elegant and sweeping, a statement. Not some utilitarian conveyance from floor to floor. There is no elegance to fifteen white steps, none.

"No I do not."

Rachyl 18 years ago
It had been weeks worth of work. Phone calls, talking back and forth, researching on the Internet, receiving faxed or emailed floor plans. Both Rachyl and Meegan seemed to be on the same page about what they wanted in their new home.

And this... just wasn't it. Rachyl had guessed it before they even got out of the car.

"WHY Meegan rented a Porsche, I'll never know. Why couldn't she get something with heat that -worked?-" A devilish thought percolated, but she realized that the realtor just might be here soon. And they didn't want to pay for the cleaning of the car.

Rachyl took the realtor's hand firmly and shook once. She was late; that was a bad thing in her book. There's a difference between being over-enthusiastic (such as waiting here for them when they arrived) and being prompt. She was nearly half an hour late. But Meegan wanted to give her a chance. "Reputation," she'd said.

They started walking.

One thing Rachyl had wanted was a house on a hill. She couldn't explain why; it was one of the few features she requested. It reminded her of a dream she'd had years ago...

Shaking her head as they strode up the hilled drive, she measured the windows and their viewing arcs with her eyes. She knew that no matter what, any neighbor within fifty feet was going to get a semi-decent view. But that didn't mean they couldn't make it difficult. The windows were horrible and would need to be replaced. She was quite taken aback at their condition, and almost wanted to ask the realtor why she hadn't had them serviced.
The landscaping was beautiful, to be sure, but very austere and not really befitting a home built on the East Coast. She vaguely recalled the realtor saying the previous owners had come from Arizona only to move back... but really, cactus, while a hardy landscaping staple -in the South-, didn't belong in the North.
"Well, maybe if the house matched."

The long drive was nice, but it would be a real pain to shovel when it snowed, not to mention it broke up the symmetry of the yard. "Building a driveway directly in front of the house then curving around the side is just... lazy."

Grasping the short railing up the two steps to the "landing" porch, she realized her fingers were cold, and she slid her free hand into Meegan's. Somehow the designer's hands were almost always warm.

The bow window afforded a nice view of the front yard, but was angled wrong to see the street really well. "It should have been put on the side of the house," she thought, when Meegan suddenly said, "Well we can leave now."

She focused forward into the house, through the frosted glass door and saw the stairs. Resisting the sudden urge to giggle at Meegan's response of "No, I do not", she added,
"Nor do I. Shall we head to the next house?"

The realtor looked absolutely stunned. She'd never, apparently, had a house turned down before the seekers had even stepped foot inside. They'd caught her off guard; Rachyl put another mental strike against her. They agreed on the next house at which to stop, and returned to their vehicles.

Inside the car, heat blaring, soft funk muted almost to the point of not being able to understand the lyrics, Rachyl let her penned-in giggle erupt.
"The... look... on her face." More giggling. "The sad part is, she... wouldn't understand why we think stairs are important for the presentation of the house." She calmed slightly, and continued, "I think that, should we both reach 'strike three' with her, we should find someone else. Reputation or not. I don't care if she sold homes to some of the other designers, or our own employees. But she needs to get more in touch with the people she sells with. And get in touch with a decent hair dresser."
Ginnie 18 years ago
"And she needs a better clock." Meegan let her own giggles bubble up as they followed the sedan to the next house, surprisingly close to the one just viewed. That did not bode well for the neighbor hood.

"Let's look at this one, and then give hr the boot. Jeff has a guy, and I want to contact the "family,"She made quotation marks in the air and rolled her eyes, "solicitor. He does some dealings this far north and might have a good contact for us."

She studied the little relater and let another little giggle escape. "I think I may drop the name of my hair guy, she needs some help...bad." Meegan giggled once more, and exited the car, a sudden gust of wind whipping at the ends of her long coat. She was glad she'd chosen sturdy boots, black jeans, and a cashmere sweater for this outing.

This house was on a much more steep hill, and afforded the house a very lovely front view, but it had a wrap around drive. 'What was with the architect of this place?'

The white brick exterior was lovely, and the landscaping was much more congruous with the environment, and it even had a large old oak tree, stark in its winter coat of icicles, but it would be very pretty come spring. The porch was about four feet deep and the length of the house, a plus, but Meegan kept going back to that drive way. Why would someone take out half of their back yard, just to hide the garage and still have it attached to the house?

The realter looked a bit unsure of herself, by now and pulled keys out of her pocket when neither red-head said anything. The door was solid wood and so Meegan would need to go in before she could make a judgment call on this one. But so far it only had one strike, and two pluses.

"Shall we go in."

"That would be nice, thank you."

Meegan bit her lip against a giggle as the woman turned and opened the door. The house was icy from disuse, but at least there was no wind. They stepped in and Meegan very nearly turned around. There was carpet in the foyer.

"Who puts carpet in a foyer?"

There wasn't a stair way, so that was a bit of a plus. They walked from the plushly carpeted foyer into a step down formal living room. Meegan looked over at Rachyl, letting her call the next move. Her face said she was ready to leave, but she was going to let Rachyl decide.
Meegan 18 years ago
"And she needs a better clock." Meegan let her own giggles bubble up as they followed the sedan to the next house, surprisingly close to the one just viewed. That did not bode well for the neighbor hood.

"Let's look at this one, and then give hr the boot. Jeff has a guy, and I want to contact the "family,"She made quotation marks in the air and rolled her eyes, "solicitor. He does some dealings this far north and might have a good contact for us."

She studied the little relater and let another little giggle escape. "I think I may drop the name of my hair guy, she needs some help...bad." Meegan giggled once more, and exited the car, a sudden gust of wind whipping at the ends of her long coat. She was glad she'd chosen sturdy boots, black jeans, and a cashmere sweater for this outing.

This house was on a much more steep hill, and afforded the house a very lovely front view, but it had a wrap around drive. 'What was with the architect of this place?'

The white brick exterior was lovely, and the landscaping was much more congruous with the environment, and it even had a large old oak tree, stark in its winter coat of icicles, but it would be very pretty come spring. The porch was about four feet deep and the length of the house, a plus, but Meegan kept going back to that drive way. Why would someone take out half of their back yard, just to hide the garage and still have it attached to the house?

The realter looked a bit unsure of herself, by now and pulled keys out of her pocket when neither red-head said anything. The door was solid wood and so Meegan would need to go in before she could make a judgment call on this one. But so far it only had one strike, and two pluses.

"Shall we go in."

"That would be nice, thank you."

Meegan bit her lip against a giggle as the woman turned and opened the door. The house was icy from disuse, but at least there was no wind. They stepped in and Meegan very nearly turned around. There was carpet in the foyer.

"Who puts carpet in a foyer?"

There wasn't a stair way, so that was a bit of a plus. They walked from the plushly carpeted foyer into a step down formal living room. Meegan looked over at Rachyl, letting her call the next move. Her face said she was ready to leave, but she was going to let Rachyl decide.
Rachyl 18 years ago
"All the hairspray in that hair is probably generating enough static electricity to charge a small electromagnetic pulse generator, which thereby distorts the space-time continuum in her home, affecting all clocks." Rachyl rolled her eyes and winked at Meegan.

"Do you really want to contact the quote-unquote 'family' solicitor? I think we'd be better off contacting Jeff's guy first."

The same gust of wind that whipped Meegan's jacket also caught hold of Rachyl's door, and she nearly walloped herself in the face with the corner trying to close it. She shrugged and shivered in her poofy yellow ski jacket. She felt kind of like a fool; in the mirror on their way out of the hotel this morning she thought she'd looked like a little kid on her way to school. Ponytails just don't do her hair justice, now that it was curly again. Meegan had given it to her for Christmas; she sincerely appreciated the gift and in fact found it very comfortable for winter use but she found herself craving the somewhat more protective covering of a longer coat like the taller woman's. At least then her legs would be partially covered and she wouldn't feel like her thighs were popsicles. Then again, Meegan had probably needed to choose the smaller size simply because of Rachyl's stature. Though, how she found a jacket short enough in torso, but wide enough in chest to allow comfortable room for her breasts she'd not said. And of course, she'd forgotten her matching gloves. Stuffing her hands into her blue jeans pockets, she looked around.

The same architect had to have designed this part of the Levittown-style development. All of the driveways were so poorly managed. At least this house had a porch. White brick on the exterior, though, had to be a pain to maintain. She'd not seen any in New Jersey, as most folks were appreciative of the aesthetic qualities of red brick. The full basement had no windows; not even a door to the outside.

The heavy oaken door thudded shut behind her as they entered. "Who puts carpet in the foyer," Meegan had asked.
"Someone who goes out and about in bare feet, I suppose."

The lack of stairs in the foyer was a plus, but Rachyl couldn't see them from the entrance. She saw Meegan's look at her, and knew that her lover was giving her the opportunity to decide about the second house... since Meegan had decided on the first.
She took a step into the living room to see if she could get a better glimpse around the corner without seperating too much from Meegan. She remembered the tip in school about "divide and conquer" to help make the sale - when suddenly her footing disappeared from beneath her and she found herself falling.

She landed on her shoulder with an "oof". "Ow." On the carpeted floor below, she rolled onto her back and looked at the ceiling.
"Interesting, the ceiling fan's not centered in the room," she commented offhandedly. "And the ceiling tile looks like it's about to fall apart."

"Keep talking until the pain lessens, then get up." She half wished she could have gotten her spill on camera.
Ginnie 18 years ago
Stifling a giggle, Meegan steeped over and crouched next to Rachyl.

"Well then we'll have to remember to walk through this room with umbrellas."

She offered Rachyl her hand and helped pull the red-head into a sitting position.

"Ready to get out of here?"

Rachyl nodded and Meegan stood, pulling Rachyl up with her. She held Rachyl's hand for a moment longer and brushed a kiss across her cheek.

"I'm sorry you fell. Are you alright?"
Meegan 18 years ago
Stifling a giggle, Meegan steeped over and crouched next to Rachyl.

"Well then we'll have to remember to walk through this room with umbrellas."

She offered Rachyl her hand and helped pull the red-head into a sitting position.

"Ready to get out of here?"

Rachyl nodded and Meegan stood, pulling Rachyl up with her. She held Rachyl's hand for a moment longer and brushed a kiss across her cheek.

"I'm sorry you fell. Are you alright?"
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl felt her back crack as Meegan pulled her upright. "Peachy. Remind me why my arm hurts tomorrow."

Keeping Meegan's hand in her own, she commented, "You know when I was younger I was always looking down to make sure I didn't do stuff like that. I got out of the habit after being in martial arts for a while because I became a bit more graceful. But that... was not anywhere near graceful, was it."
Meegan 18 years ago
"Actually, you did that very well. I give you an eight out of ten."

Meegan and Rachyl returned to the foyer where the hairspray queen had watched in silence. Meegan wasn't sure she had even flinched when Rachyl fell. She smiled sweetly at her, before speaking.

"I think it's time we part ways. You will be compensated for your time, but before we go I'd like to give you a couple of tips."

She tucked her hand into her coat pocket to fish for her wallet.

"First, be on time. If you can't be on time, remember that little cell phone is not just a great accessory. Second, listen to your clients. If they tell you that they want a house on a hill, don't make it the only require in your search box."

She pulled her wallet out and extracted a black business card with silver letters, and handed it to the stunned woman.

"Call this man, he will free you from yourself."

She put the card in the claw-like grip of the woman, smiled at her and lead Rachyl out the door. They shivered their way to the car. Once inside with the heat blaring, Meegan began to laugh.
Rachyl 18 years ago
"And third, you should never, -ever-, when showing a house, allow your clients to walk through the house in front of you. You should be the person leading through the house pointing out points of interest."

Rachyl smiled at the woman as they left.

The purring heat of the Porsche was enough to bring feeling back to Rachyl's nose, but not her fingers. She grabbed Meegan's and held them tightly.

When the designer started to laugh, Rachyl joined her.
"You enjoyed that."
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan nodded, and gently pulling her fingers from Rachyl's put the car in gear.

"Yes, I did. I'm sorry I subjected us to her. Her reputation was obviously bought. Poor thing."

She zipped the car through the streets of Nachton, her fingers laced with Rachyl's, until they got back to the Piazza. After the Gala she and Rachyl had moved out of The Manor and into the Piazza. Meegan wanted to be closer to the office, and Rachyl had grown tired of the drafty place. Mostly Meegan wanted away from the memories. They had gotten to be too much and she didn't think she could spend Christmas with Aron's ghost.

She had taken solace in Rachyl's arms. Aware of what she had done to her friend and what her friend had done for her. They had spent hours talking over the last months and Meegan had been forgiven, and she still did not understand how Rachyl could be so amazing.

As time passed she wondered if Aron had simply been such a powerful presence that she had been bewitched. Oh she did not think Aron had used some sort of vampire mind trick on her, nor she she think letting him feed from her had somehow brainwashed her. No it was more like he had become her world in the blink of an eye and she had been lost.

She missed him terribly, especially in the early hours od dawn when the birds began to sing and she was awake, alone, sitting on the balcony wrapped in two blanket and sipping a cup of coffee. She did not think that she would ever regain that part of her that Aron had taken with him, but she knew she would be able to move on.

Every so often on those still quiet mornings, Rachyl would find her and snuggle under the blankets with her. Reminding Meegan with a touch, that she was indeed a blessed and loved woman, no matter how much her heart hurt.

Rachyl said something just then, something about the woman's hair. Meegan knew it was funny, that fact registered with her and she laughed, but she had no idea exactly what Rachyl had said.

She pulled up to the hotel, they would call Jeff's guy, and tomorrow they would find, the one. She was sure of it.