As the two of them walked arm and arm into the
lobby of the Grand Piazza, Shay caught one or two
pairs of eyes on them, and allowed a small grin to
grace her face. While she never was a true wallflower,
she also never was much of a party animal either. But
lately it was becoming more and more
enjoyable for her to be out, and about, especially
on Alexi's arm. Having someone to share things
with made all the difference in the world.

With only one major issue on her agenda for the
night, she hoped she could get it out and explained
quickly, and then enjoy the rest of the evening.
Having time to think, as well as having spoken to
Wren and Tristan, Shay was slowly learning to live
with her circumstances, and no longer see them as the end
of the world. She didn't doubt there would be days in the
future when the reality would hit her harder than
others, but having Alexi made the matter much easier
to live with.

The hotel seemed very upscale, and posh, and she had
to wonder about some of the people sitting in the
lobby...who they were, what did they do...were any of
them vampires? Her interest in the others waned quickly, as
it was difficult to think of anyone besides Alexi, when they
were together.

As the entered the restaurant, Shay's grin widened. The maitre d'
practically fell over himself in his rush to attend to Alexi. Though
Shay knew him to be a loving and caring man, she knew he
could be imposing as well. Looking up at him now...tonight...all she saw
was her center...her rock...the main reason for her existence...now. She
again thanked whatever fates brought them together that night at the House of
Pain, and the fact that his sometime austere stature had been missing
when his gaze fell upon her.

The were seated in one of the less busy corners, out of the way
of the kitchen traffic and the noise a young family with three small
children were making. In a different setting, or on a different night,
Shay wouldn't have minded the children, and even found them entertaining,
and delightful to watch. Not tonight.

Sitting across from Alexi, she laced her fingers with his, across the table,
and smiled.

"This is a lovely place. Thank you for suggesting it."Â?

A drink...she would have one drink first...and then tell him.
She chewed her bottom lip as she glanced at the waiter
coming in their direction.

Mathias 18 years ago
That people still worshiped the trappings of wealth amused Mathias sometimes. The fawning of the maitre'd annoyed him however - it reminded him too much of the courtiers that infested Constantinople in his youth.

With a dismissive nod,he sent the maitre'd packing and pulled out Shay's chair for her. This dinner and night out was precisely what they needed, Mathias could already feel himself relaxing some.

Her hand was warm in his and Mathias felt his heart skip a beat as he glanced across the table at the woman who had come to mean so much to him in such a short time.

"You are more than welcome,love. We both needed this I think - a night out will do us both good,perhaps Club Eternity after we eat?"

and yet..he couldn't put his finger on it but something seemed off to Mathias. It was as if there was a burden Shay bore,one she was reluctant to tell him. He had felt it before,the night she came back from New York. he'd put it aside then,so happy to have shay back..perhaps now was the time to take more of an interest.

"Is everything ok dearheart? You look like something is on your mind?"
Shay 18 years ago
That she was growing ever more knowledgeable about him, she expected. That he was learning to read her much better, was a little unnerving. While she had always been a fairly friendly person, very few people really knew her, outside her family.

But he was her family now, so it was only natural...only right that he see when something was on her mind. It was just taking a little getting used to.

In this case, his question helped. There was no reason to put it off, and after all this time 'she' was even beginning to think she had blown it out of proportion. Or at least it helped a little to say that to herself.

Holding his hand a bit tighter, she looked into his eyes, and drew strength from him as she spoke.

"To say I've had some distressing news might be simplifying it a bit...and I really don't know that the news will seem like much...to anyone besides me...but..."

A short sigh, and a refocus, before she continued.

"First, and foremost, I guess...I need you to know I'm fine...physically I have a condition that requires surgery, but it's a simple out patient procedure and once it's done, I'll be almost good as new. Or, really, as good as new...with just a part missing."

She laughed an almost imperceptibly soft,sad laugh, and went on.

"But no worries...the part won't be noticed. It's just my uterus, something many women live without..."

Surprisingly, though her eyes sparkled just a bit brighter, she guessed she really was getting used to the idea, for no tears fell at all.

"And...if I hadn't wanted children so much, this wouldn't have posed any problems at all. I think its almost another sign of fate though...that we were destined to be together. Children aren't in your future, obviously...and now they're not in mine either."

Now her eyes began to well up a little, and she blinked back the tears.

"Damn it all to hell...I wanted to do this just once, without crying."

Her expletive was said softly enough that even the people at the table next to them wouldn't have heard. She noticed that at some point her eyes had left his, and were now focused on their hands. She ran her thumb over a small rough spot on his finger, and looked back into his eyes.

"Tristan will be going with me when I go back for the operation...I know you can't be there...but sometimes this staying out of daylight can be most inconvenient."

She made the last comment with another soft laugh, knowing Alexi had no control over that issue. There nothing to be done for it, this she knew, and it wasn't like he'd be able to do much anyway, other than offer moral support. Moral support he could offer mentally, even across the short distance.

"I'm sorry...I should have told you sooner. It's just that this time we have together is so precious, and limited...and I didn't want to make it unhappy time."
Mathias 18 years ago
Relieved that shay was not in any physical danger,he pondered the implications of her words and what she must be going through. Shay came from a big family,and they had talked somewhat about her desire for children. they both knew how unrealistic the concept of them as parents was,but how often does love and realism meet?

To lose the ability to enjoy your heart's desire..it was something Mathias knew,a pain he was all to familiar with. Without reading her mind it wasn't hard to at least understand her pain. His heart broke for her,but she needed him to be a rock now,an island of serenity. He smiled softly,lifting her hand to his lips.

"No, you do not need to be sorry,my love. This is an emotionally trying time to be sure,and you had every intention of telling me when you were capable of doing so. My regret is that I cannot be there for you in New york, but I am glad that your brother will - family is important at a time like this."

Gently caressing Shay's hand,he lifted her head when she looked down again.

"I will not pretend to know what you are going through. but know that I love you completely Shay and I am here for you - whatever you need of me or from me it is yours without question."
Shay 18 years ago
The words were better than she had hoped for. She had imagined he being a man, and one who had lived the life he had, certainly wouldn't put him in any kind of position to feel what she felt. Yet the basic pain was something they could share...something he could feel, and offer to help her with, and she loved him more for it, if that was possible.

"Thank you...for being here now...for assuring me you'll do your best to be there later...for loving me. My only regret at the moment, is that I cannot crawl up into your lap, and love you back."

She grinned back at him, truly happy, as she flirted. It seemed it was becoming her way of dealing with the harsh realities of life...to purge them from her system by physically loving him. Of course it wasn't even close to being the obvious reason for their physical union, but it definitely was another motive. Hell, there was a list of reasons why she wanted to make love with Alexi...this was just another to add to it.

"The only other thing I'll need from you, when I return from New York, is a bit of patience. I believe there will be a period of time that I won't be fully functional to you...as a woman. Though...I'll do my best not to let you suffer terribly, in the interim."

And the thought of the last time she had come back from the doctor, tender and unable to share their love in the conventional way, made her smile.

"And the second bit of news, you already know most of. Apparently PT's roommate back home got into some trouble, and was hauled off to jail. Unfortunately, PT hasn't always been the most moral of men, and had he stayed in California, the police would have found grounds for arresting him, as well."

Shay shook her head in exasperation. She loved her brother, but he was such a pain in the ass most of the time.

"How's that for irony? Ex-cop has a potential felon for a brother...but Alexi...PT's really not a bad sort. He just hasn't always taken the most lawful road. I guess I probably should have turned him out...let him deal with his mess himself...maybe then he would learn, once and for all, he can't keep on like this. But I just didn't have the heart."

Family was one thing Shay didn't stop to think about, ever...she just did what came naturally. In this case, her instinct was to offer her little brother protection, and a safe harbor, at least until he wore out his welcome, or made trouble. If he showed her he meant business, and was going to truly turn his life around, she'd be more than happy to do whatever she could for him.

"I hope you two get along okay...and I know I've said this before...but it is 'our' home, and if he gives you any grief at all, he's out on his ass."

The change of subject helped her demeanor greatly. Thinking about Alexi, and her wayward brother gave her something besides herself to think on.

And now her thoughts turned back totally to Alexi.

"And how are you doing? I know it must be next to impossible for you to stop thinking about what concerns you with the Tacharan raid. Have you come to any more conclusions about Ellis?"

Fact was they didn't see the recent event in the same way, but that didn't mean Shay would just block the topic from discussion between the two of them. She could still listen, if he needed to talk...she could still 'try' to be objective. Knowing she wasn't the cause of that specific turmoil within him, she could even let him yell at her, if it would help him.
Mathias 18 years ago
Mathias chuckled,still gently caressing Shay's hand.

"That would make dinner..memorable. The other diners might object however - not that I would care"

He shook his head. Sometimes folks worry about the silliest things - function as a woman?

"The function of you "as a woman" most important to me is your ability to love me. Since I don't believe that will be impaired by your surgery I don't think we will have an issue. However, you will have my patience, since that was yours to begin with."

"That is not to say that I won't be missing certain other activities..." he added with a smirk.

This bit about her brother was bothersome however. Any trouble PT was in could have followed him here and create undue difficulties for Shay and himself. However,he was Shay's family and Mathias would do his utmost to help him.

"Nonsense - family is family. You wouldn't be the woman I love if you didn't open your heart and home to him. And I am sure we will get along famously - after all he is your brother"

Shay's mentioning of the issues surrounding Tacharan's assault ont he Hillman compound cast cloud over the otherwise bright dinner. He hadn't really wanted to talk about,preferring to focus on Shay...but her generous and caring nature made it inevitable he supposed.

"Nothing concrete. I've not had the chance to speak to Ginnie or alec and find out if their perspective differs. The two of them were closer to the situation than I was. However,Simon has called a meeting to discuss the..change..in leadership, so perhaps some of my questions will be answered there."

Mathias didn't hold out much hope for that however. If Simon and Carol were concealing something then honestly would not be a priority...and would any answer mollify him? Perhaps he was already assuming guilt. He also hoped Shay did not want to attend. He couldn't imagine why she would but with the path he contemplated,the further away Shay stayed from other Tacharan the better for them both.

their appetizers had arrived,breaking his train of thought. Smiling at Shay he lifted his wine glass in a toast.

"To brighter thoughts,and brighter futures!"
Shay 18 years ago
His words could do nothing but make her smile, as he continued to offer his love and support.

She was still a little concerned that having PT around would somehow cause disharmony, but the one saving grace there was that at the first indication of anything like that, he was out the door. She would brook no discussion there. She had to trust that Alexi believed her on that count.

When his thoughts turned to the 'event', as she was referring to it, she could sense he was still at odds, and that he seemed to not want to talk about it. With only one thing left to say...

"I just hope you know, no matter how much we might disagree on this, I am still here to listen. I will even try to keep my comments to a minimum, and those as objective as I can. But this is a huge part of your life love, and I refuse to be kept out of it. That said, I would like to join you at the meeting, if...familiars are allowed."

It was just a word...and one that neither she nor Alexi used, except when referring to the formalities dictated by the clan. In fact, saying it just now, left a bitter taste in her mouth. Unfortunately, there was nothing she could do about that...it was just the way things were.

But she knew the connection she shared with her man, went so far beyond anything a 'familiar' might entertain, that it just wasn't an issue in their lives.

"Really Mathias...please grant me this request, without being stubborn. I cannot love you and not share that part of you."

Her mind was made up, but her eyes were still pleading with him. She knew she could not attend the domicile without him, nor any functions therein. And she also knew she would go batty if she had no idea what was going on in that part of his life.

Raising her glass, she let go of all the ugliness around them, and instead put herself into the beauty of her lover's eyes. There was a place she could live quite contently, knowing the love she saw there was a partial reflection of her.

She rubbed the toe of her shoe up the back of his calf, and winked, as she sipped her wine.

"We do have a lovely future ahead of us...don't we."
Mathias 18 years ago
Mathias sighed quietly No backing out of this old man he thought to himself She's got in her mind to do this.

He nodded at Shay. May as well - the current situation might not wait until the "right time" to visit anyhow.

"You are right love, I Cannot,and should not, keep parts of my life away from you. However, you must remember that not everyone there will view you as Shay 0 but rather as Mathias' familiar. And I may not be leaving that meeting on the best of term,for I intend to get answers from Simon. Answers he may not want to give."

He left it at that - they had discussed more of the clan than he wished, and this evening was about focusing on them.

Shay's flirtatiousness sent a shiver down his spine and Mathias grinned like a schoolboy.

"That we do love,that we do"
Shay 18 years ago
Though she wouldn't back away from an argument...not that they had yet to have one...Shay was glad Alexi agreed to take her to the meeting. It was important to her to attend, but also that he understood that. And he seemed to.

Similarly, she didn't agree with his feelings on Ellis, but she understood the reasons behind them. Because of that, she could hardly fault him, or try to dissuade him from feeling that way. All she could do was hope that some day...sooner than later...he would find something concrete, that would show him the real Ellis. After meeting with Ellis that one time, Shay knew just as sure as she was breathing, that Ellis had been evil. But she also saw how intelligent Ellis was, and realized that made for a malevolent combination. It was scary that Ellis could hide such licentiousness from those around her, and Shay wasn't sure why it was she could feel those things so strongly. But God help her, she believed them will all her being.

She waved off the 'familiar' issue.

"Look...I know that's what a lot of the clan will see me as, but if they do, hopefully they'll be like Alec and Ginnie, and keep it to themselves. If they don't...I don't really much care. You are the only Tacharan I love, and I know how you feel about me. Being insecure has never been a problem for me, except on the rarest of occasions. So really...you don't need to worry...as long as you're with me, I'll be fine, truly.

As for Simon, I would think if he is taking Ellis' place, he will be forced to show you all evidence that he deserves it. Becoming leader of the clan must entail doing more than just saying that's what you are, right?"

If Alexi said the sky was green, and Shay saw it as blue, she wouldn't argue with him. That wasn't the kind of thing she thought was worth letting come between them. She would still believe the sky was blue, and would do everything she could to get him to see it her way, but if they ultimately remained at a stalemate, she would just assume he was color blind, and go on from there.

Something more serious...that truly threatened what they shared...would be addressed if the need ever arose. She had already considered the situation, in theory, and knew she wouldn't be adverse to giving in...on occasion. Fortunately, that had not become an issue...yet.

The waiter brought their soups, and as he was setting the bowls in front of them, Shay had removed her shoes. It had taken a little maneuvering, but she hoped the distraction was enough that Alexi wouldn't have noticed.

Where she had been rubbing the toe of her shoe behind the back of his leg, she was now rubbing the back of her stockinged toes along his inseam...just above his knees.

"The soup is delicious...don't you think?"

The tip of her tongue licked the bow of her upper lip before she sucked her bottom lip under. The next spoonful of soup she slowly slid between her lips, and her eyes never left his, as she began to think of what they could do once they got home.
Mathias 18 years ago
Her words made sense,as most of Shay's arguments did - and yet he could not shake the feeling of wrongness that pervaded the situation. However, he did not want argue anymore tonight,for they would not resolve it over dinner to be sure.

"You are correct love, he will most likely provide evidence that corroberates his story - that does not however mean it is the truth. But that is a worry for the meeting - I would much rather focus on us right now. "

The silken touch of Shay's feet was certainly having an effect on him - one which Mathias was certain she wanted and had been trying to create. Not that it was difficult, Shay could wear sackcloth and be covered in mud and he would want her just as much. This teasing game between then was a fun preclude to the carnal adventures sure to follow this evening.

"Very tasty indeed " he said,as his tongue slid out before the spood entered his mouth. " You know how I love a delicious..appetizer"
Shay 18 years ago
How was it that such a simple action as eating soup, could make Alexi so damn sexy? Shay briefly wondered if she was just really hormonal tonight, but quickly cast that thought out of her head. She knew it didn't matter what day of the month, or minute of the day it was...she was just always ready for him. Sometimes even when her body wasn't, her mind could make love with him all night long.

Grinning mischievously, she slid her foot up higher on his leg, now just a hairs breadth away from her goal. She could feel the napkin in his lap, and felt safe that no one else could see what her intentions were, as she moved her big toe in circles. Occasionally she would just brush against him, but ever so lightly, and very fleetingly.

"The appetizer is such a nice prelude to the actual meal...but it should only tease the hunger...make the pallet yearn for so much more. Do you think it does?"

Shay was so twisted up from desire, it was truly amazing she could keep her voice so calm. It was actually amazing she could even utter coherent sentences, as her mind was not on her words. A flitting thought occurred to her, as she wondered if her operation would have any bearing on the way she felt and reacted sexually. She seemed to recall the doctor mentioning it wouldn't, but it scared her a little to think about anyway.

Shoving such ideas out of her mind, at least for now, she moved her other foot up to join the first, and offer some assistance. Her soup gone now, she picked up her wine to hide the fact that she was doing more than just sitting at the table staring at Alexi.

"I'm wondering how soon our entree' will arrive."

She spoke, much too breathlessly. Was she becoming a pathetic nymphomaniac? She had never felt this way in her entire life. She had to do something else, to focus away from the urge to devour the man across from her.

"Mathias? I've...never asked you...are you a sporting man? I ask, mainly because...because..."

She blushed scarlet, when she totally lost her train of thought. Her feet fell from between his legs, and she almost groaned in frustration.

Looking at him, still grinning, she felt the need to apologize.

"I am so sorry. I really don't know how it is you effect me this way, but I will try to control myself."

And the look she now gave him was beseeching his grace.
Mathias 18 years ago
Shay's teasing was driving crazy. Mathias had to resist the urge to climb over the table and take her then and there.

Instead he internalized that desire,the want and passion she inspired in him. His voice and legs became the outlet,lowering to an almost feral growl as he returned the torment in kind to her.

" Oh I think so - it only..enflames..my hunger,makes all the more ravenous for our main course." His foot came up,teasing Shay through the fabric of her dress. "I find that a deep hunger makes the meal taste so much better,don't you?"

Getting into the game,he made low,growling sounds as he finished the appetizer,never taking his eyes off of Shay.

"Hopefully soon,while appetizers are fine, I prefer the main..act of a meal,personally"

Her blush was a relief,covering Mathias' own growing embarrassment. Shay just had an effect on him,and if he was enchanted then he prayed it was never undone.

"Nothing to be sorry for love, we are who we are. And evidently we are passionate creatures. I am curious Shay - how do you mean sporting? Have a wager you would like to make? "
Shay 18 years ago
His joining in her little game, did nothing to enable her to regain her wits. Once she had her procedure done, she knew it would be a few weeks before she would be ready again for any lovemaking, at least on her part. So before she went to New York, she was damn sure going to get in as much as she could.

However, there was a proper time and place for everything, and she felt she had already pressed the bounds of propriety here, in the restaurant. She's die if something happened and she was banned from returning.

Not that she would let things get THAT out of hand.

Focusing, she remembered what she was to ask Alexi.

"No, no wager...I was just thinking...PT is somewhat of a sports fanatic...he likes playing most everything, but he also spends hours of a Saturday or Sunday watching just about everything on ESPN. It might just give you two something of a common base to work from."

She shook her head a little and touched her hand to her temple, as if she now imagined her thoughts to be ridiculous.

"I know you two will get along fine, and you're both grown men...well, PT is pretty grown."

She grimaced just a touch before offering a half laugh.

"I doubt I'll ever see him fully grown...I know I shouldn't worry about how well you'll get along...what can I say. You're both important men in my life, how can I not worry."

Returning her feet to her shoes, she reached under the table to give the top of his foot a caressing scratch through his sock, with her nails, much like one would scratch a loving pet.

"I'll watch an occasional game...if it's really exciting, and there are cute players on the team..."

At that she laughed a little more vibrantly.
Mathias 18 years ago
Mathias was somewhat relieved at Shay ratcheting down the seduction. Any more and they'd had to find someplace secluded...as it was he would be surprised if they made it home with their clothes still on.

While not some sort of fanatic,Mathias wasn't wholly ignorant about sports either, though his tastes tended to run towards the fighting competitions rather than team sports. However,something in common with her brother would be a good thing.

"Yes, I watch sports,moreover I would love to do so both with you and your brother. Having common ground can only help us all live together."

He raised an eye at Shay's statement of why she watched.

"However..I'm not so sure I like the idea of you ogling other men.."

His grin belied the mock indignance however
Shay 18 years ago
She couldn't help but grin at the raised eyebrow. She had never been with anyone who exhibited any jealousy at all before, even if in jest. It gave her a rather fluttery feeling to think of Alexi that way.

"You mean to tell me you can't still appreciate the look of a striking woman, across a room...or in a movie? As long as it's my bed you're in, I don't mind, truly."

Yet, rethinking that comment, she felt it might be wise to expand upon it...just to make sure there were no...mis communications.

"Well...an occasional glance, ONLY from across a room...or on tv is okay. Anything beyond that, and I will tell you now, I may not be responsible for my actions."

Though the thought of it seemed to make Shay's nails lengthen, and her desire to wear her gun rise up again. The desire to protect what she considered to be her's wasn't new...it was the extent of that desire, that took her back a little.

It was a good thing she believed in Alexi, and his love, completely. God help it if another woman were to cast her eye his way.

"Besides, those thoughts were a hold over from my single days. No one could possibly stand up to you...I have no time to 'ogle' other men when I'm with you."

Smiling seductively, she hoped he knew that her comment had just been teasing.
Mathias 18 years ago
Mathias couldn't help but chuckle. The setting of 'ground rules' for looking at other people was just another example of the comfort he and Shay felt around one another.

"I'm sure I could appreciate them love,were I able to see another woman besides you "

"Besides, those thoughts were a hold over from my single days. No one could possibly stand up to you...I have no time to 'ogle' other men when I'm with you."

Her single days...it made Mathias think. That he and Shay had a commitment to one another was an understatement. And yet how much had been verbalized? And did it really need to be?
Shay 18 years ago
She still blushed when he said things like that. Here was a man who had lived next to forever, as far as Shay's realm of comprehension extended, and yet found her to be the one to love.

"Sometimes I still think this is just a dream, and I'll wake up and be back in my apartment in LA, and still going out on patrol every night. Things have just come so easy between us that I really do believe someone up there is going to wake up and say...Shay! It's all due now...this is the end...no more happiness for you. Give him back!"

She was pointing upwards, and had to laugh, but it was a small laugh. It struck her then that maybe fate had stepped in already, and made her exchange one happiness, for another, and her smile faded.

The sadness lasted but seconds. She was not going to bring this evening down, and held up her glass to him.

"What say we spit in the eye of fate, and just take charge of our destinies. You and me babe...against them all?"

It was a good thought, not very practical, but one that had some merit. She truly felt that with his support she could do just about anything, short of rebuild her body and correct her deficiencies. But, like Wren said...there were other ways to get babies, if that was what she really wanted...and now, she just wasn't sure.

No matter...enough about that.

"So...what were you going to tempt me with, after dinner...? Dancing...a movie...?"

She wiggled her eyebrows at him in laughter, implying there were other things too...but they were best left to innuendo for now.
Mathias 18 years ago
Mathias lifted Shay's hand,giving each knuckle a soft kiss.

"If it is a dream,may we never awaken then"

Her next statement,without a doubt impractical and unrealistic,also made his stomach flip. What an incredibly sweet and loving thing to say.

For wasn't all love,by it's nature thus? how practical was it to open your heart to someone and risk being hurt? How realistic is it to expect another person to love you completely,despite or because of your flaws? No to be in love,to have a soulmate like he had in Shay, was to truly spit in the face of all that the head knows and lead with ones heart.

"My destiny is sitting across from me, and if I am to stand against the world,to spit in Fate's Eye then there is no one else I wish besides my love,my partner,my soulmate. "

What to do,what to do. Of late,they had barely a moment together and their early game had enflamed his passion...but there would be time to make love. Mathias was alive and in love and damn tomorrow for tonight!

"I had thought perhaps we might go to Club Eternity,enjoy some dancing and music." He grinned,knowing where Shay's mind was headed. "Or we could go home and make wild passionate love until we pass out. Actually I am feeling adventurous - perhaps all of the above?"
Shay 18 years ago
Every word spoken between them was nothing but of love and passion. They were still totally in the bloom of love together. Though she doubted they would ever feel more comfortable with each other, they had yet to reach the point where some things were taken for granted. Every touch, and word was still something to be cherished, every moment coveted...prized.

And when he looked at her, as he was now, she basked in the love she felt, as if it was an energy that covered her like a blanket, and then seeped into her soul.

"I'll take 'D', please...all of the above. Dancing...being in your arms with the music around us...sharing our joy with the world, and then home..."

Switching their hands around, so that Shay now had his in her's, she held his index finger against her bottom lip, and rubbed it back and forth, before nibbling the tip, and then pushing it in between her lips. Her tongue swirled around the end before she pulled it out and sighed, understanding he would know how her sentence had ended, even without being spoken.

"'Once in awhile, right in the middle of an ordinary life,
love gives us a fairy tale.' I heard that once, and thought it was so corny then...I now know it was because I had never been in love up to that point. But now, it all sounds so real."

Kissing his finger again quickly, she put his hand back on the table, at the arrival of the waiter with their entree. She almost had to force herself to eat, until she smiled and thought that the night ahead would probably require a lot of energy, and food was still something her body needed for that.

The waiter returned again, with a bottle of champagne, and smiled, as he handed it to Alexi.

'This bottle has been sent over by the couple at the table over there, sir. They wanted to say that the two of you remind them of their younger days, and they wish to toast to your happiness.'

Shay's head turned to see a couple who appeared to be in their eighties, sitting close together at a table, holding hands. Both were totally white headed, and slightly resembled each other. But the thing that struck Shay, was the pronounced love that emanated from them when they smiled at each other.

Smiling a slightly bittersweet smile, she grabbed Alexi's hand, and squeezed it. The thought couldn't have been nicer, and she did value it, but for a second it reminded her that she and Alexi would never be that other couple.
Mathias 18 years ago
He smiled at her choice..of course he knew she would take it all..for like him,Shay reveled in every moment of their love - the times together and the times apart.

Mathias closed his eyes,focusing on her words and her touch. Loving Shay and being loved her had opened his heart,let him give of himself not worried about being hurt. As if bidden, a quote from Shakespeare whispered from his lips.

"But love is blind and lovers cannot see
The pretty follies that themselves commit;
For if they could, Cupid himself would blush
To see me thus transformed to a boy."

Yes, Shay's love had transformed him - and Mathias was a better man for it.

Dinner was quiet - their conversation in smiles and winks. The appearance of the waiter was a surprise,but listening Mathias could not help but smile. The old couples gesture was incredibly sweet - and yet Mathias noticed the slightest hint of regret in Shay's face, the merest hint of sadness in the way she squeezed his hand. And it struck him,why this was such a bittersweet gift. The old couple represented what they could never be. And in that moment of understanding..Mathias found he loved Shay even more despite the differences,despite the fact that old age would eventually separate them. He loved her because he did,nothing more,nothing less.
Shay 18 years ago
Her emotions were all over the place. First she couldn't contain her desires for him. Then she wanted to cradle his head against her breast, and just talk about the future. Lastly, she wanted to cry and scream out against the pain that future would ultimately bring them. Or, her, at least.

She listened to his words and felt the hot sting of tears threatening...pushing behind her eyes, and up from the back of her throat. She loved that he felt that way about being with her, and wouldn't have wanted to change it for the world.

But the last straw...the older couple...was just too much to bear, and the tears started trickling down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry...I'll be just a minute."

Shay dropped her fork, and placed her napkin on the table, before she got up and quickly walked to the restroom.