A Night on the Town ((Attn: Drev))

Wren arrived back in Nachton just before five and hopped right into the shower, washing the travel grime from her skin and hair. Finished with her shower she used the hotel blow drier to help style her long raven tresses into a swinging shine. She decided to leave her hair down as it would look dramatic against her pale skin and the red of her dress.

Her make up consisted of a pale foundation, a thin line of eye liner, a colorless shimmer on her eyelids, the same on her cheeks and lipstick that matched her fingernails exactly.

She studied herself in the full length mirror and smiled at the figure she made.

"Definitely going to turn a few heads in this tonight."

Laughing she packed up her little evening bag, with lipstick, ID, cash, mace and her hotel key. She flipped off the lights, grabbed her leather jacket and headed down to the lobby even though it was still a few minutes before seven.

Wren stepped off the elevator and went to the windows near the front of the lobby and stood staring out at the swirling snow as she waited for her date.

((ooc Something similar to what she is wearing is here Only her's is more of a true red, and is a smooth fabric, this is just the closest I could find.))

Milazo 18 years ago
Sitting in the back of the stretch limo he'd rented for the evening, Drev watched the city roll by through the dark window. He felt like such a mafioso sitting there in his pinstripe suit, complete with silver watch and chain, suspenders, solid black tie and socks, wingtips polished to a brilliant shine, and black fedora. His dreadlocks were pulled back in a respectable, but unobtrusive ponytail, and his angular face was clean shaven. His ice-blue eyes were bright beneath the shadow of his hat, and contrasted heavily against the darkness of his clothing.

Drev had never dressed so... conspicuously... when he'd been running with the mafia, however. Even when he went out for an evening on the town with his
famiglia, they always wore plain black suits; nothing overly remarkable. But the pinstripe suit harkened back to 40s, back to the times portrayed in movies like The Godfather when pinstripes had been the style. Or so the movies say.

But nonetheless, Drev couldn't deny the strong sense of nostalgia, the memories of his
famiglia. Never before had he met such strong, respectable people. As much shit the mafia had to deal with, they weren't animals. It was all about family.

Drev was pulled from his reverie when the limo stopped in front of Wren's hotel. He glanced at his watch - 6:58 - and made a mental note to slip the driver an extra fifty for getting here on time.

He slipped out of the limo and closed the door behind him. He took a moment to straighten his tie, jacket sleeves, and hat before walking casually to the front door of the hotel. He quickened his step when he saw an elderly couple make for the hotel, and pulled the heavy doors open for them. He tipped his hat politely and offered them a charming smile before following them in. Once inside the doors, Drev took his hat off and began a slow circuit of the hotel lobby, his striking eyes scanning the room for his date.
Wren 18 years ago
She's watched the limo pull up, but couldn't see who got out. When the doors opened she watched first the elderly couple and then Drev walk in. Her breath got stuck in her throat and she had to remind herself to breath after a moment. He hadn't seen her yet so she had time to recover, and took a single step forward when his eyes fell on her.

Wren was caught up in his gaze as he walked toward her and she couldn't help but smile.

"Good evening, Drev."
Milazo 18 years ago
Drev felt the smile forming on his lips as soon as his eyes fell on Wren. He swept his eyes up and down her body as he walked over to her. He reached out as he approached, took her hand lightly in his, and placed a soft kiss on the back of her hand.

"You look stunning," he said in his smooth voice, smiling into her eyes. "You must have found everything you were looking for." It would be impossible to look so... radiant... if she'd had to settle for even the smallest detail.

It wasn't often, in these days of cell phones and drive-throughs and instant-everything, that you could just let yourself get all dressed up and take it slow, have a quiet, elegant dinner, and spend the evening dancing to the best music around. That he could even find a place with a live big-band was a feat in and of itself!

Drev found his smile widening; this would be a night to remember.
Wren 18 years ago
Wren's cheeks flushed lightly as his lips brushed her knuckles. 'He is quite the charmer Wren m'girl.' She let her hand drop from his and returned his smile.

"Thank you. You look dashing yourself." She really had no idea what was in store for her this evening, but it could be nothing but fun, and she hoped a great deal of dancing would be involved.

"I found exactly what I had been looking for." She winked at him and turned to pick up her coat from the chair she's thrown it over.
Milazo 18 years ago
"Good," Drev said with a warm smile as she turned to pick up her coat. "I hope you had enough...?" he asked kind of cryptically, but she's surely realize he was talking about the money he'd given her. He took the coat from her and helped her into it. His keen nose picked up a floral scent... lavendar, probably. It was very light and soft, which just made it that much more alluring. Little irked Drev more than too much cologne or perfume.

With her coat comfortable, Drev offered Wren his arm and led her out to the car. The driver stood flanking the door, and when the couple emerged from the hotel, he opened the door. Drev helped Wren into the back seat then turned to the driver.

"Thank you, Mr. Torrance," Drev said as he pressed a hundred dollar bill into the driver's hand. Drev's accent came through unexpectedly strong and thick, and he mentally laughed at how much he sounded like Robert DeNiro as he got into the car.
Wren 18 years ago
Wren slid along the seat of the limo. It wasn't her first time in a limo, but this one was swanky. She gave herself the moment it took Drev to get in to gawk. She composed herself, crossing her right leg over her left so that she wouldn't accidentally kick her companion.

As Drev settled himself she smiled at him.

"This is nice. So are you going to tell me where we're going or is it still a mystery?"

She chuckled and clasped her hands in her lap to keep them from playing with the buttons. Wren was incredibly excited, she really needed a night of fun and frolic to help her forget about her woes.
Milazo 18 years ago
"We have reservations at Enzo's," Drev said with a chuckle. "I would offer you a glass of wine, but it won't be a long drive." As if cued, the limousine began to move. "I've only been there a couple times, but it's already my favorite restaurant in the city. Their chef is incredible; he can make anything from a humble steak to the most delectable pasta dishes." Then after a slight pause, he added, "and if we're lucky, the Glenn Miller Orchestra might be in town," with a knowing smile.
Wren 18 years ago
"If we're lucky, huh?"

Wren gave a soft chuckle and turned her head to watch the strip roll by. It really was a fascinating place. It seemed to her that you could find absolutely anything you wanted from the mundane to the exotic all on this mile long bit of road. She sighed softly, this seemed like a really great city to live in, now all she needed to do was find an apartment and a job and she'd be set. Tomorrow...she'd start tomorrow.

In what felt like no time at all the limo was slowing to a stop outside of a glitzy looking restaurant, they even had valets and a door man. Wren checked her lipstick in the little mirror near her and smiled at Drev.

"This place looks like fun."
Milazo 18 years ago
"I think we'll have a good time," Drev said with a smile as the door of the limo opened. He slipped out, took a brief moment to straighten his suit, then helped Wren out of the car. As Drev led her into the restaurant, he stuffed a twenty into the breast pocket of the doorman's jacket, thanking him by name. He'd learned early on in life that people remember generosity. Tipping was a habit he'd picked up many, many years ago. When he went out for an evening like this, it wasn't unusual for him to drop hundreds of dollars in tips. It didn't even scratch his bank accounts, and it was well worth the service you got on your next visit. Oh yes, people remember generosity.

They stopped first to check Wren's coat and Drev's hat. At the host's podium, Drev didn't even need to give his name.

"Signore Milazo! Bentornato!" A thin, sharply dressed man rushed around the podium to vigorously shake Drev's hand. Another hundred dollars exchanged hands unseen.

"Thank you, Benito. This is Wren," Drev said in way of introduction. Benito bowed and placed a soft kiss on the back of Wren's free hand. "I trust you have a nice, quiet table ready for us?" Drev put a slight emphasis on 'quiet' and the perceptive host read him loud and clear: Drev wanted interruptions kept to a very bare minimum, but would still like to hear the band.

"Right this way, Signore, Signorina." The host gave a slight bow before leading them to their table. With Wren still on his arm, Drev followed Benito.

The restaurant was spacious, but cozy. The place nearly dripped with elegance. Tie and jacket were required for male diners. All the female diners that Drev could see were wearing Little Black Dresses or formal gowns, all in dark, inconspicuous colors. Wren's red dress stuck out like a sore thumb, but that made Drev appreciate it all the more. He had a feeling she'd be in the spotlight on the dance floor as well.

Their table was tucked back near the wall, far enough from everyone else, but not too much as to seem secluded. It was about twenty feet from the dance floor. There was a candle burning in the middle of the perfectly set table. It was big enough for four people, but small enough to be intimate for two. It was perfect. Benito was a good man.

The host waited patiently while Drev held Wren's chair then stepped around to seat himself. Benito handed the couple menus, bade them enjoy their meals, then left with another short bow.

"Well, what do you think?" Drev asked, turning his smile to Wren.

((Wren moved by permission. Also, I give her permanent permission to move Drev as needed.))
Wren 18 years ago
Wren managed to keep her chin from dropping to the floor but that was about it. She'd seen some fancy places going to competitions and Intensives, but this by far was the swankyest place she had ever had the privilege to be in.

she took her seat gracefully and opened the menu when it was handed to her, but she had a hard time looking at it. Her eyes were everywhere trying to take in everything.

"It's wonderful."

She glanced down at the menu and realized she had no idea what it said, well that was alright, Drev could order for her. Otherwise she would spend her entire evening reading the English descriptions and never order.

"hmm, you order, just no red meat please."

She didn't think it would be a good idea to be burpy on the dance floor. Wren smiled at Drev. She was feeling just a little socially awkward and wasn't sure what to do next so she let her eyes go back to taking in the surroundings.
Milazo 18 years ago
Drev couldn't help smiling. Just the look of awe on Wren's face made this all worth while. It was the same look he'd seen on all those millions of faces when he stepped out on stage. It's become one of his greatest pleasures, to give people such a special memory.

"Not a problem," Drev chuckled. He was just about to ask her how she liked Nachton so far, when a quiet but firm voice, thick with a Sicilian accent, interrupted him.

"Calo,
come stai?" Drev had to look back over his shoulder, but he already knew who the voice belonged to.

Enzo Palermo was a huge man trapped in a small frame. He was barely five feet tall and thin. His thick silver hair was combed back, accentuating his stern face. His eyes were harsh and soft at the same time, and the thin lips that were normally frozen in a permanent scowl were now lifted in a bright smile that softened his face. He held a bottle of wine in his left hand.

Drev stood up as Enzo approached the table.
"Enzo! Good to see you," Drev replied. The two men embraced and exchanged kisses to both cheeks. It may have seemed an overly friendly greeting for people that have only met a couple times. But in truth, Drev's known Enzo since he was a little boy. Drev had even worked with Enzo's father and grandfather in the past. When you're familiar with one person in a Sicilian family, youi're familiar with them all.

"Who is the lovely young lady?" Enzo asked with an approving grin.

"This is Wren. Wren, this is Enzo. Don't let him get started telling you stories," Drev joked. Enzo was notorious for his rather lengthy anecdotes.

"Don't listen to him," Enzo said with a charming smile as he lifted Wren's hand to his lips. "I brought you some wine to have with your dinner tonight. On the house, of course. It's one of my family's best years. I think you'll enjoy it." The small man uncorked the bottle and poured a glass for each of them.

"Thank you," Drev said as he sat back down.

"Hey, don't mention it. What can I tell Mario to fix for you tonight, eh?"

"You know I can't resist his chicken parmesana," Drev grinned.

"The man does make a damn fine chicken parmesana," Enzo said to Wren in a low voice, as if imparting some great secret. "I'll have some bread and salad brought out to you right away, then, alright? You enjoy your meals now. It was pleasure to meet you, dear," Enzo went on, pecking Wren's cheek. "And good to see you again, Calo." The men shook hands before the small restaurant owner turned and retreated.

"He's a good guy," Drev commented with a smile. "Is chicken parmesana alright with you?"
Wren 18 years ago
"A pleasure." Wren smiled genuinely at the little man and let her hand fall to her lap. The two men seemed to have a familiarity that came from years of knowing someone. She though it must be nice to have that.

She returned Enzo's kisses and thanked him. She chuckled softly as she watched him walk away. He was a...presence as he moved. Stopping here and there to greet other guests as he headed to a pair of swinging doors with circular windows. Smiling she turned back to Drev.

"It's fine. I haven't had a good chicken parmesana since I visited Little Italy. I wish I could say I'd had it in real Italy, but alas I've not yet left American soil."

She smiled tried to find something to do with her hands, finally letting them slip to her rest in her lap. She had so many questions for this man, now that she knew who he was. She'd taken some time to look him up on Google in the hotel lobby before partaking in her entire bottle of wine. She decided to be vague and knowing, to see if she could coax him into talking.

"Do you miss it?"
Milazo 18 years ago
"Yes," he answered decisively after a brief moment's contemplation. It wasn't a matter of deciding whether he missed Sicily, but rather it was trying to find a way to explain how he missed it. "The way you'd miss your mother, I suppose. I don't think I'd want to live there again, but I try to visit whenever I can.

"I'd go so far as to say it's the most beautiful place on Earth. But I'm a little biased," he said with wink. "I usually go every two or three years and stay for a month. Just enough to keep my roots strong, I guess.

"What about you?" Drev asked and took a sip of wine. "Where would one find Wren's roots?"

Now that he was thinking about it, he really couldn't tell what nationality she was. Usually he could make a guess, but she was just.... pretty.
Wren 18 years ago
Wren chuckled. "Michigan. You know the kind of place where my grandparents were born, raised and died, my parents were born and raised and will eventually be buried. Nothing exciting, just normal America."

Yeah, right. Normal. Wren pushed her bitterness aside, this was not a night to relive her past.

"But, for now I'm calling Nachton home. I pulled up my roots, chopped them to pieces and threw them to the wind."

She sipped from her wine, more to still her nerves than for something to do with her hands. She had to be careful who she told what about her past, not that she thought a famous racker would rat her out, but still careful was the name of the game.
Milazo 18 years ago
'Unpleasant memories off the starboard bow!' a voice roared in his head. People didn't usually chop up their roots if they had a good family they enjoyed to be around. Best to redirect the conversation, but not too abruptly.

"Did you study dance in Michigan?" That was still kind of treading on thin ice, but it at least opened the opportunity to steer the conversation in a more comfortable direction. Tonight was about having fun, not dredging up old ghosts.
Wren 18 years ago
Wren nodded. "Since I was three. I went to college not far from where I grew up."

She smiled at him, a small thank you for changing the subject. He did it smoothly and had enough class to take her not so subtle clue.

"Dancing is like breathing for me. It has always be the one thing I could drown myself in not matter what was going on around me. I haven't so much as done a pirouette in three days."

She took a long breath. She missed being in class and on stage and even the gyrating she did in her panties. To her it didn't matter what kind of dancing it was, just so long as she could move her body to music, she was happy.
Milazo 18 years ago
Smiling, Drev nodded in understanding.

"I'm the same way when I practice Blades. I'm able to just let my mind go, forget about everything, and just get lost in the movements.

"I guess we're more alike than we may have thought," Drev offered before taking a sip of wine. "I've been lax in my own dancing as well. I haven't even picked up my swords in over a week."
Wren 18 years ago
"So being a singer in a band was just a hobby then?" Wren quirked an eyebrow and grinned at Drev. Personally Wren couldn't hold a tune in a bucket, but then again she wasn't trying to make it on to American Idol or anything. She didn't want to Needle Drev, she like his music, well some of it. He had an incredible voice. She hoped he didn't take offense.

"I'll be sure to tell the guys, when I see'em next."

The conductor of the band stood, and caught Wren's attention. He moved smoothly to the microphone and spoke in that sweet cajoling voice that only men in his line of work were allowed to have. Smooth, sweet and full of the promise of a lovely evening.

"Ladies and gentlemen, a mambo."

He turned, lifted his hands and the men and women began the bum bum bum, bum-ba-dum of the mambo.

"Oh I love the mambo."
Milazo 18 years ago
"Actually it was a hobby," Drev said with a chuckle. "We started out just in the garage, playing whatever we were into at the time. We took our first gig as a kind of joke, just to see what it'd be like on stage, if we could do it, etc. And it just kind of took off from there."

Drev's autobiography was interrupted when the band picked up. He began tapping his foot under the table, the music already getting into his bones. He wanted to get up and dance with Wren, but their dinner was probably almost ready.

"Is Swing part of your reportoire?" Drev had to raise his voice a bit to be heard over the music. It was loud where they sat, but not invasive.
Wren 18 years ago
"Swing, salsa, ballroom. They were part of my theatrical production classes."

Her toe was tapping to the lively music and she wanted to get out on the floor, soon. She wondered how long they had until their dinner arrived and...

"Do we have enough time for one dance before dinner?"