Jet Lag

Tai stood in the lobby of the Grand Piazza, suitcase in hand, carryall slung over one broad shoulder. A bellhop had offered to take his bags but he'd declined. He hadn't even checked in yet.

He'd barely arrived in Nachton. Customs had taken forever. Fortunately he'd been able to catch a cab quickly; the cabbies had been lined up outside the airport like vultures at a kill.

Now, finally at the Piazza, Tai wanted nothing more than a hot meal, a good drink, a shower, and a bed. Time enough tomorrow to get down to business and start some real research.

He was torn between going directly into the restaurant on the ground floor here, or checking in. Checking into his room won out, so he approached the counter and gave his name to the concierge. His superiors had booked the room for him, so he didn't know what to expect, but from the looks of the place there was probably no such thing as a shabby room.

Glancing down at the number on the room card, he surveyed the lobby once more to get his bearings.

Yuu 18 years ago
Yuu didn't fuck around when it came to comfort, at least that's what she told people. She was perfectly fine with taking a cab, but insisted on the stretch black limo that was parked across from the line of cabs. Part of the reason she was Nachton's youngest ADA was because her class and presence proceeded her. Plus she enjoyed the luxury of being catered to.

Walking into the lobby with two bell boys carting her luggage, she dragged the boa behind her, looking around over the rim of her thin square black rimmed glasses. She spotted the front desk and then blew a bit of her dark red hair out of her eye. Yuu approached the desk and spoke directly to the man behind the counter, despite the fact that he was busy speaking to a subordinate.

'Shiroi Yuukaku,' she said quietly but clearly. 'I'd like fresh orchids placed in my room in the morning and a goose down comforter...hmm, just because.' With a smile she again tipped quite well to the men handling her luggage and shooed them away.

Yuu looked back at the man behind the counter and raised her eyebrows, waiting. The man had his mouth open, just a little bit shocked, but then proceeded to check her in.

'Yes ma'am.'

She looked around and spoted another fellow in the lobby. She lowered her sunglasses and looked him over.
'Hmm,' she said.

'I'm sorry, ma'am?'

Yuu nodded over at the particularly tall asian man.
'Who is that?'

'Ichiro Taiji, ma'am. Just checked in.'

Hmm, Yuu thought.
Ichiro Taiji 18 years ago
As Tai took in the huge lobby, the various hallways and businesses on the ground floor of the hotel, his light brown eyes fell upon the woman who now stood at the front desk, peering over the tops of her sunglasses at him.

She was small but pretty, he thought. Her face had very distinct Japanese features.

Stiletto, between the 3rd and 4th ribs. Have to angle it a bit; she's tiny.

Tai found himself on guard; the clan he'd taken this assignment for wasn't the only one with an interest in this target, and some of them wanted him alive. He was seeing threats where there weren't any.

The woman, whose dress was... unique, to say the least, was appraising him from across the room. Tai cast a level glance her way, raised one eyebrow in query as if inviting her along, and made his way into the hallway toward the elevator.

If she was working for a rival clan, it wouldn't hurt to get to know her.
Yuu 18 years ago
Yuu's eyes narrowed. She pushed her sunglasses back up and then turned to the concierge. 'Key please.'

With card key in hand and her luggage on its way, disappearing into another elevator, Yuu made her way across the lobby towards the asian man. She walked not as if people were looking, but with an assumption that they definitely were. She picked up her feather boa off the ground and hooked it around her arm as she walked towards towards the man, locking eyes with him.

When she reached him, she leaned past him and called for the elevator by pressing the green button, causing it to light up. The elevator doors opened and she brushed by him, touching him on purpose. Yuu walked to the back of the elevator and propped her hands on the hand rail.

'Coming?'
The woman with the boa brushed him as she breezed by on her way to the elevators.

'Coming?'

Tai regarded her speculatively for a moment. She hadn't spoken with an accent. Perhaps his first impression had been wrong and he was being overly paranoid. It was rare for the Yakuza to go outside of their home country; just as rare for them to use a woman for any of their work. Although this was the new millenium and all, the Yakuza were still so steeped in pride and tradition that the 'male dominant' flavor still pervaded most aspects of their organization.

The corner of his mouth tipping up just the slightest bit into a half-smile, Tai gave a half-nod, half-bow to the woman and slipped into the elevator as well. He pressed the button for his floor, 23, and let his hand hover over the buttons as he looked at the woman again.

"Floor?"

He was trying not to stare, but her outfit was, in truth, quite eye-catching. He'd seen odder things on the streets of Tokyo, for sure, but something about this woman attracted attention, and she seemed to know it. Perhaps cultivated it.

Could slit the throat, too. But that lacks the refinement of the stiletto.

Tai looked at her, awaiting her response and betraying nothing of his thoughts otherwise. She was probably just a visitor to Nachton, like himself. And nothing more.

A good long nap would help him think clearly again; jet lag was causing him to jump at shadows and draw conclusions from nothing.
Yuu 18 years ago
Yuu's interest in the man was not sexual, but more predatory. It's not every day you see an asian as tall as him, it was a spectecal to be had by all.

'28,' Yuu replied.

He looked intelligent, if you could tell that by looking at someone. Yuu crossed her arms and looked him up and down. He was a business man, that much she gathered by his luggage. Someone used to travelling alone. No ring on his finger, in fact no jewelry at all. Good posture. Her eyes narrowed. Either well bred or maybe just bred well. Nonetheless, she was bored and no one else appealed to her.

The elevator stopped at his floor.

'I'll be down in the restaurant in one hour, don't be late...that annoys me.' She graciously bestowed the man a small smile.
Tai was early.

He sat at a table close enough to the entrance to see her when she entered. He'd gotten his shower and stowed his belongings in his rather lushly appointed suite. Now he sat in his chair, the picture of repose, lean legs stretched out in front of him. One arm was crossed over his chest; with the other he flicked a coin back and forth over his knuckles.

There were no less than six knives concealed on his body, in addition to one small firearm, a length of wire for emergencies, and the ever-present lockpicks. Whether or not he 'dressed up' for the occasion really depended on the likelihood of his being searched. Here in the Piazza, as a guest, the chances were low. He'd just found it too odd that the first person he'd bumped into in Nachton just happened to be Japanese as well. Better cautious and alive, than the alternatives.

He idly rolled the coin back and forth, back and forth; the only sign of movement as he watched the doorway out of the corner of his tawny eye.
Yuu 18 years ago
Yuu slipped on her sling back black stiletto heels and checked herself one last time before heading out her apartment suite door. She had showered and put on fresh clothes in preparation for her meeting after her quick meal. She had no interest in impressing Mr. Ichiro. Yuu just didn't like to eat alone.

Upon passing the mirrored hallway from the lobby to the five star restuarant located within the Piazza, Yuu caught another glimpse of herself. She checked her appearance one last time. Why not, she figured, she paid enough to look good, might as well make sure.

She was wearing a sheer, flowing shirt paired with a curve-hugging glittery skirt ensumble from Dolce & Gabbana. The shirt was black chiffon with a V neckline and ruffled trim. Three-quarter full sleeves were slightly ruffled and she checked them. Her ruched jersey skirt was a new find and it wrapped around her, hugging her curves. She had a business meeting with the District Attorney in 2 hours so she dressed accordingly.

Looking around the room, she waved off the maitre d' and located Mr. Ichiro. Yuu walked to his table casually, making sure her presence was noticed.

(ooc wow what a snob! LOL)

Outfit she's wearing -
Tai stood as she entered the restaurant, moving around the table as she approached and making the coin in his fingers disappear.

As she neared, he appreciated the air of calm self-assurance about her. Even clad in a skirt and blouse whose richness may have intimidated another woman, this one wore her clothes well; they didn't wear her. It was intriguing.

"You honor me with your company, Miss Yuukaku." Apparently the conceirge at the front desk was fairly free with who he gave information to; discovering her name hadn't been difficult at all.

In a fluid motion he pulled her chair out a bit for her, sliding it expertly underneath her as she sank gracefully into it. Once she was settled he took his own seat again, signaling to the maitre d'.

"May I buy you a drink?"
Yuu 18 years ago
'Of course,' she replied, getting comfortable in the offered chair. Acknowledging their waiter with a nod, she held her hand out, making a C with her index finger and thumb. 'Scotch,' she made the C smaller, 'Water, if you please.'

Looking directly at her new company, she gave him a smile.
'And kudos to you for figuring out my name. Ask the front desk, did we?' Yuu leaned back and gave him an appraising look.

Ok he was handsome. He barely made the cut off in height though, but other asian men always intrigued her, but she never found them attractive. This one had presence, thank god. Resting her hands neatly on her lap, she wondered if he'd bore her to tears or actually be an engaging dinner partner. Well, she thought, here's to hoping.
Tai added his order for a Rusty Nail before turning back to Miss Yuukako.

He gave her a slow smile, leaning back in his chair once more and shaking his head once.

"No, it's just that the neighborhood is crawling with my spies."

He admired her smile, but even more he admired the measuring look she gave him. If that was any indication, she promised to be entertaining. Tai was here for business, but there was no reason not to mix business with pleasure. And Miss Yuukaku was, so far, a captivating companion. Tai enjoyed stimulating conversation a great deal, and it behooved him to keep her talking.

"Here on business?"

He glanced at her formal attire which, though feminine, seemed quite well suited to conducting business. He could easily see her as the competent head of a company or something similar.
Yuu 18 years ago
'Your spies? Are yours mingling with mine? They better not be, I don't cover that in their health insurance.' Yuu huffed dramatically and then cracked a smile. 'I am here on business, yes but for good. I'm meeting my boss after this actually. It's a done deal, just official broohahaing and such. You?'

Yuu crossed her legs and leaned forward, signaling that she was indeed listening. She hated it when someone wasn't listening, even when they appeared to be. Body language did it all but for some reason this gentleman was doing a very good job keeping her guessing...and that intrigued her.
Tai laughed, a warm, deep, resonating sound that rumbled through his chest.

"I promise you your spies won't need their health insurance." He met her gaze squarely, his eyelids lowering just a bit, tawny gold irises shining in the dim light. "They'll be well taken care of."

He straightened a bit in his chair as she spoke, not losing his pre-set air of casual repose. He wasn't familiar with the term 'broohahaing' but he grasped the gist of it well enough to nod slowly.

"I'm here for business and pleasure," he responded easily. It was a very well-practiced lie. "I work for an architectural firm based in Tokyo. I've always wanted to visit this city for its unique historical architecture, and my bosses saw it as a good opportunity for me to get some firsthand knowledge."

He lifted one shoulder noncommittally. "I was planning on getting right to work, but I think I may wait until tomorrow to start visiting every spot on my itinerary."

That wasn't exactly untrue, either. He certainly did plan to fit in some sightseeing on this trip.

"What business are you in, if you don't mind my asking? Or shall I just guess?"
Yuu 18 years ago
Now she was very intrigued. 'By all means, guess.' Yuu leaned back in her chair and gave him a very posh profile. 'I bet I'm a model.'

Her exterior, admittedly, was profoundly snobbish, but Yuu wasn't really that self centered. Granted she demanded a certain amount of attention but more because of her mind, rather than her body. She had no time for attention whores. Having presence was a game, a heralded achievment, and very much a coveted gift. Getting attention without trying was the goal.

Yuu considered Mr. Ichiro's occupation. An architect. She nodded inwardly...he seemed very well educated, very wordly, even in the brief conversation, she was impressed with how articulate he was...and if she didn't know any better, he was flirting with her. Yuu was fairly certain that Mr. Ichiro was the type of man that didn't need to have a captive audience.
Tai admired the profile presented to him, and had to chuckle when Miss Yuukaku kept him guessing. She had a great deal of personality; he admired that.

"I have no doubt that modeling would suit you, at least in appearance," he admitted.

He narrowed his eyes speculatively, going over their conversation so far. "However, I don't think such a seemingly mindless occupation would satisfy what has proven so far to be a keen intellect."

She looked too good to be a teacher, although he wouldn't be surprised if the brains were there. A researcher, perhaps? Maybe.

"A chemist?"
Yuu 18 years ago
'Same amount of school, but no, not quite. I'll give you another clue and we'll see what you can glean from it.' She again leaned forward again, quite amused with the game. 'I'm an assistant with a title.'

Yuu thought she was giving it away, but she didn't mind. Just then their waiter brought their drinks and waited for their order.
'Oh, I haven't looked yet but have you decided, Mr. Ichiro?'
"Prime rib for the lady, and I'll take the filet. Medium rare."

Tai didn't glance at Miss Yuukaku to see whether she approved or not, but gave the order to the waiter in his concise, accented English.

Sipping from his drink, he finally turned back to her and regarded her once more from appraising eyes.

Not a chemist, but a great deal of schooling nonetheless. So perhaps not a doctor but... a lawyer? He could see that. Guess number two, then.

"Some sort of assistant lawyer. Magistrate." He nodded his head in partial apology. "I'm not overly familiar with the titles of the members of the legal system here."
Yuu 18 years ago
Yuu's expression held as Mr. Ichiro ordered for her. If anything, it impressed the hell out of her. She loves her some prime rib, but she found his choice interesting. When the waiter moved away, she gave him a downward cast of her eyes in approval. It seriously took steel ones to do that. If it had been a caucasian fellow attempting to do that, her scotch would be in his lap by now...or he'd be in jail, one or the other.

Yuu put her elbows on the table and tapped her lips with her index finger.
'I am Nachton's new assistant district attorney, but yes, you are correct for the most part.' She held up her glass to toast.

'Here's to good guesses and beautiful endings.'
Tai raised his glass at Miss Yuukaku's toast and added his own sentiment. "To new jobs as well. Congratulations are in order, apparently."

Their glasses chimed together softly and Tai drank from his, eyes never leaving his dinner companion's face. District attorney, huh. It couldn't hurt to have her as an acquaintance. He wasn't overly worried about her profession, though he thought it suited her. She seemed far too sharp to not rely on such a mind in her daily life.

Lowering his glass, he let his lips curve up again in a sultry, catlike smile. "And please, call me Tai."
Yuu 18 years ago
With a nod, 'Alright Tai, then you'll have to call me Yuu and not laugh.' She laughed and took a healthy drink of her scotch. 'So tell me about what you do. What will you be seeing while you're here?'
Tai gave Yuu a genuine grin now. "I had planned on starting with the museums. I need to do a bit more research, but they tend to be good places to begin. I had planned to walk a good deal, see what strikes my fancy. As I said, it's part business and part pleasure."

He resisted the urge to order her another drink; she did have a business meeting after all. But perhaps, on another occasion...

"What about yourself? Have you any plans for pleasure, or are you all business? I would welcome a companion who isn't afraid to add their commentary."

Yuu certainly fit the bill in that department, and for all his cool detachment Tai found himself rather enjoying her banter. His offer was a bit spontaneous, perhaps, but it never hurt to have friends in law.